Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion topic #185873

Subject: "so it's already mid august. video for HIGO? maybe some promotion" Previous topic | Next topic
sound_quality
Member since Apr 13th 2009
110 posts
Fri Aug-14-09 10:41 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"so it's already mid august. video for HIGO? maybe some promotion"

like the title states, will there be any promotion for HIGO? maybe a music video... or a song on the radio... or anything promotional

how the hell are people supposed to know this is coming out?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
there's this late night show they are on....
Aug 14th 2009
RE: there's this late night show they are on....
Aug 14th 2009
      its not coming out until october last i heard
Aug 14th 2009
      got pushed back to November n/m
Aug 15th 2009
           yep
Aug 15th 2009
      lol @ "whoever is in charge of marketing them should be fired"
Aug 14th 2009
           RE: lol @ "whoever is in charge of marketing them should be fired"
Aug 16th 2009
           RE: lol @ "whoever is in charge of marketing them should be fired"
Aug 16th 2009
           i want them to be marketed better also
Aug 18th 2009
           if fallon decides to be generous????? he's lucky he's got the roots
Aug 16th 2009
                you know, i thought that going in to
Aug 18th 2009
                     no, i agree
Aug 19th 2009
                          RE: no, i agree
Aug 29th 2009
                               you're getting the wrong impression
Aug 31st 2009
                               RE: you're getting the wrong impression
Sep 02nd 2009
                                    might be
Sep 02nd 2009
                               i want good music
Sep 15th 2009
                                    RE: i want good music
Sep 24th 2009
Sep 25th 2009
Sep 26th 2009
Sep 27th 2009
                                                        are you a fan or do you just like bitching?
Sep 27th 2009
                                                             RE: are you a fan or do you just like bitching?
Sep 27th 2009
                                                                  or maybe you should just read quest's post in the lesson
Sep 27th 2009
                                                                       RE: or maybe you should just read quest's post in the lesson
Sep 27th 2009

HighVoltage
Member since Jan 04th 2004
16583 posts
Fri Aug-14-09 10:52 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "there's this late night show they are on...."
In response to Reply # 0

~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.itsallthewaylive.net

www.twitter.com/allthewaylive

sound_quality
110 posts
Fri Aug-14-09 11:49 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: there's this late night show they are on...."
In response to Reply # 1

no shit! really?

seriously though, you feel one source is enough? the albums only been promoted once on fallon. no music video, no radio. nothing more than that one performance(at least that i've seen, and i've seen quite a few episodes). if you're not following their every move, how would you know it was coming out? there are new ears out there that haven't heard the roots yet. all these kids are being led to worship soulja boy and all that other bullshit. if the album got more exposure, you never know how many more people would buy it.

whoever is in charge of marketing them should be fired.

HighVoltage
16583 posts
Fri Aug-14-09 12:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "its not coming out until october last i heard"
In response to Reply # 2

there's ample time

~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.itsallthewaylive.net

seandammit
Member since May 28th 2003
6522 posts
Sat Aug-15-09 08:51 AM

5. "got pushed back to November n/m"
In response to Reply # 3

www.twitter.com/seandammit

HighVoltage
16583 posts
Sat Aug-15-09 09:48 AM

6. "yep"
In response to Reply # 5

~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.itsallthewaylive.net

rick
Charter member
3696 posts
Fri Aug-14-09 08:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "lol @ "whoever is in charge of marketing them should be fired""
In response to Reply # 2

"in charge"? like def jam give them a marketing budget, let alone a staff.

grow up, ain't no one marketing shit. if fallon decides to be generous and give them some mentions (maybe even spell the URL right), and maybe some extended skits/playing time, great.

or better yet, tell the roots to go pop. as fun as HIGO is to listen to, its not going to sell shit.

rick

pretend to be cats don't seem to know they limitations
exact replication and false representation

sound_quality
110 posts
Sun Aug-16-09 01:27 AM

7. "RE: lol @ "whoever is in charge of marketing them should be fired""
In response to Reply # 4

grow up? what the fuck does wanting something marketed properly have to do with growing up?

see, that's the problem right there. everybody writes them off as if they should just pack up their shit and hang up the mic. i know plenty of people that love their music, but didn't know they had any recent material. why? because of lack of marketing. i'm sure this is not just the case with the people i know.

these days, people respond to whatever is sold to them. if you sell them garbage, they'll love it and play it all night til it decomposes. why not try selling something good?

HighVoltage
16583 posts
Sun Aug-16-09 12:59 PM

8. "RE: lol @ "whoever is in charge of marketing them should be fired""
In response to Reply # 7

why would they start dipping into a presumably limited promotional budget 3 months before the album comes out?

~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.itsallthewaylive.net

rick
Charter member
3696 posts
Tue Aug-18-09 04:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "i want them to be marketed better also"
In response to Reply # 7

but wanting it doesn't mean it's going to happen. all i was trying to say was that the roots have never been marketed with any seriousness, and i doubt things are going to change now.

>grow up? what the fuck does wanting something marketed
>properly have to do with growing up?

and the grow up thing was rude. sorry about that, sometimes i post after lurking around here for a few hours reading snarky posts and i become a dick.

justin_scott
Charter member
19862 posts
Sun Aug-16-09 10:02 PM

9. "if fallon decides to be generous????? he's lucky he's got the roots"
In response to Reply # 4

or he'd be out of work right now. more like if quest decides to be generous, fallon will have a show for a 2nd season.

rick
Charter member
3696 posts
Tue Aug-18-09 04:31 PM

10. "you know, i thought that going in to"
In response to Reply # 9

but between the "okplayer.com" misspelling, the limited sketches that the roots are in, even though they are the best ones (granted, im really biased), and the general love they claim to show, i mean, im not thinking the roots are running shit at all there.

i mean, most people on this site are huge roots fans, and we know how incredible the band is. but most people don't, and as much as i wish the world would come to its senses and send HIGO into septuple platinum numbers, that single isn't going to do it (i think it's a great son, but i seriously question how radio friendly it is).

and i agree fallon isn't the best comic in the world, and oftentimes the show is laborious to watch, but nbc and lorne michaels are fully vested in it, and it really seems like fallon runs his show the way he wants.

nobody said shit was fair, but that's my take on how it is.

justin_scott
Charter member
19862 posts
Wed Aug-19-09 10:18 PM

12. "no, i agree"
In response to Reply # 10

except at least the roots have fallon drooling over them ever show, as well as some guests. but yeah, a better (i.e. radio friendly) single will be needed to sell records.

signpost
Member since Dec 18th 2006
381 posts
Sat Aug-29-09 12:47 AM

13. "RE: no, i agree"
In response to Reply # 12

You dudes sound like record execs. Do you want good music? Or do you want watered down radio friendly shit?

If you are going to talk about a CONSCIOUS emcee or something weighing heavy on somebody's CONSCIENCE, just make sure to use the right word.

justin_scott
Charter member
19862 posts
Mon Aug-31-09 03:08 PM

14. "you're getting the wrong impression"
In response to Reply # 13

i've been a fan for 15 years. i've seen the hype, the anticipation, only to see the roots not sell what they should. TFA was the only album that came out the gate right (almost 200,000 sold 1st week, top 11 single), but even it still didn't go platinum.

i love "how i got over," but it's not gonna sell the album.

sound_quality
110 posts
Wed Sep-02-09 05:12 PM

15. "RE: you're getting the wrong impression"
In response to Reply # 14

i wasn't necessarily referring to HIGO the single, more the album. there has to be a better single on there that could potentially get some airplay and a decent video.

justin_scott
Charter member
19862 posts
Wed Sep-02-09 05:34 PM

16. "might be"
In response to Reply # 15

but like i said in the other post, the album isn't coming out for another 2 months. that's a LONG time in today's market. the roots are lucky to have built in promotion 5 nights a week with fallon. it's wayyy better to promote the album when it's a month or so because it'll stick in people's heads easier.

of course, def jam could drop the ball AGAIN, just like geffen and mca did. but i'm going to wait until after the album comes out to see whether def jam did the roots justice. i will say this though: there's no excuse for def jam. 5 nights a week on fallon, in front of millions a night, this album better not FAIL sales wise.

rick
Charter member
3696 posts
Tue Sep-15-09 05:09 PM

17. "i want good music"
In response to Reply # 13

but if you're going to spend time in the studio making birthday girl anyway, why not promote the hell out of it? make that shit sell.

and yeah, honestly, i wish they would drop a few commercial gems on there. make cool ones, but make shit that people will listen to.

then they get that national spotlight, then start showing us the level of talent they posses as artists, but get to that stage where they can show the world what they can do, especially since they're on nb fucking c every night. otherwise, what's the point of that shit?

same as 'kast or kanye, blend the art in there nice and smooth and subtly, don't hit us over the head with it. unless you wanna grind through a few more albums just for the okp community.

anyway, just my $.02

rick

sound_quality
110 posts
Thu Sep-24-09 02:56 PM

18. "RE: i want good music"
In response to Reply # 17

saw the preview for the video. apparently it's supposed to be released today. it's about damn time. now, will this or any other song on the album actually get some airplay?

sound_quality
110 posts
Fri Sep-25-09 05:33 PM

19. "RE: i want good music"
In response to Reply # 18

anyone know what happened to the video being released wed. or thurs.?

BrklynzFinestPR
Member since Jan 18th 2005
1517 posts
Sat Sep-26-09 05:21 PM

20. "RE: i want good music"
In response to Reply # 19

?uest made a post in The Lesson saying he wants to have an analog mix for this album and that it probably won't get released until February or March.

That's probably the reason why the Video was not released now.

<----------------------------------------
"Consider me the entity within the industry without a history of spittin the epitomy of stupidity!" - Talib Kweli
http://www.takotron.com/news/2006/mets_cap.jpg

sound_quality
110 posts
Sun Sep-27-09 11:21 AM

21. "RE: i want good music"
In response to Reply # 20

i'm all for an analog mix, but damn, march?

and this decision was made from the time the teaser video was released wednesday to friday? this is getting a little ridiculous. this album better be on some revolutionary world changing shit.

justin_scott
Charter member
19862 posts
Sun Sep-27-09 01:42 PM

22. "are you a fan or do you just like bitching?"
In response to Reply # 21

stfu and wait.

sound_quality
110 posts
Sun Sep-27-09 07:14 PM

23. "RE: are you a fan or do you just like bitching?"
In response to Reply # 22

i am, and it's why i said i'd really appreciate an analog mix.

what i'm getting at is that just wednesday, a big post was made about the release of the new video that night or the next day. i'm sure minds weren't changed overnight and said hey, i know we just posted that we're releasing the video, but now we're not.

if you paid some fuckin attention, you'd see this was originally posted in august, when the album was supposed to be released around that time. i asked about the lack of promotion. it then came to light that the album was being pushed back to november and that was the reason for the delay in promotion. ALL of that is understandable.

after seeing the front page post about the new video being released, i asked why it wasn't. that's not bitching. how the fuck am i supposed to know after reading a big ass front page post saying the video is getting released that night that the album was pushed back to march and the video was no longer getting released? maybe you have some inside information, but i don't. when i go on a bands site that says "new video tonight!", i don't expect to find out that night that there will be no new video at this time. i expect that the site will have relevant information for fans that don't have an inside hookup.

maybe you had something crawl up your ass and were pissed for whatever reason, but take it out on someone else. make fuckin sense when you talk to me.

HighVoltage
16583 posts
Sun Sep-27-09 08:13 PM

24. "or maybe you should just read quest's post in the lesson"
In response to Reply # 23

before claiming we have inside information and continuing to complain.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.itsallthewaylive.net

sound_quality
110 posts
Sun Sep-27-09 10:03 PM

25. "RE: or maybe you should just read quest's post in the lesson"
In response to Reply # 24

i read that post after it was mentioned earlier and like i said, i'm actually excited he's doing an analog mix. i'm all for that. however, having someone tell me to shut the fuck and wait as if i was supposed to have known that quest posted a reason for the delayed release is unnecessary. when a big headline is posted on the front page, you expect that what it says will be fulfilled. you don't go looking for a post in the forum explaining about a delay. when i posted my reply to bk, i hadn't yet read the post. i ended up reading it later and saw everything was explained in there. all jscott had to say was, "it's all explained in the post"

that being said, i wouldn't mind waiting another year if that's what it takes for it to sound right. sound is what's most important to me and if quality is being affected by rushing it, i'd rather wait.

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion topic #185873 Previous topic | Next topic