Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion topic #185789

Subject: "PHILLY: De La Soul, 8/14" Previous topic | Next topic
Aquaman7
Member since Mar 19th 2007
15 posts
Fri Aug-07-09 09:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"PHILLY: De La Soul, 8/14"

20 Years High and Rising Tour -- if you can't see them in NYC on the 13th, catch them at The Note in West Chester. 30 bucks, but it just might be worth it.

http://thenotewc.com/
142 E. Market Street, West Chester, 19382

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Why is this is i n West Chester instead of Philly?
Aug 09th 2009
RE: Why is this is i n West Chester instead of Philly?
Aug 10th 2009
      RE: Why is this is in West Chester instead of Philly?
Aug 15th 2009
           RE: Why is this is in West Chester instead of Philly?
Aug 15th 2009
           what the fuck?
Aug 17th 2009
                RE: what the fuck?
Aug 18th 2009
           Damn
Aug 15th 2009
                RE: Damn
Aug 17th 2009
RE: PHILLY: De La Soul, 8/14
Aug 09th 2009
The DC show was amazing.
Aug 13th 2009
I want to go to there
Aug 11th 2009
Just went to the Bmore show off the chains except....
Aug 13th 2009
The Title
Aug 14th 2009

PoloBear718
Charter member
2839 posts
Sun Aug-09-09 06:21 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Why is this is i n West Chester instead of Philly?"
In response to Reply # 0

In Rotation

J. Cole "The Warm-up" Mixtape

Aquaman7
15 posts
Mon Aug-10-09 04:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RE: Why is this is i n West Chester instead of Philly?"
In response to Reply # 1

I have the same question. In any case, it's legit.

akell
Member since Aug 15th 2009
1 posts
Sat Aug-15-09 12:50 PM

8. "RE: Why is this is in West Chester instead of Philly?"
In response to Reply # 3

I went to the show in West Chester last night, was super excited to see them live. Drove 1 hr from Philly to see it, and I'm wondering if it ever happened.

Tix said show started at 9. Got there around 9:30. Opening act (not so good) off stage by maybe 10:45.

De La arrived sometime around midnight. Had some kind of tech difficulties setting up, and still hadn't started their set by 1 AM. I couldn't take standing around with so many drunk people anymore, so we left. Got home at 2 - real tired, and real bummed about spending $75 to see De La and not seeing them.

It was a HUGE disappointment.

Does anyone know if they actually played????

sound_quality
Member since Apr 13th 2009
110 posts
Sat Aug-15-09 02:06 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "RE: Why is this is in West Chester instead of Philly?"
In response to Reply # 8

they did come on, probably as you were walking out the door.

Let me start off by saying thank you to De La Soul for salvaging what they could of the night. They put on an outstanding, energetic performance, even though is was brief. They even handed out some beers to the lucky few right up front. I'm young, but I've enjoyed their music growing up. This was my first time seeing them and I'm thankful I got the chance.

Now onto the bad part. I can't believe that a venue would book an artist and not have their equipment in order. That was a complete disgrace. This bar is owned by Bam Margera of MTV's Jackass and Viva La Bam(if you weren't aware). This place booked a hip hop artist, and wasn't prepared for hip hop. They had a CD turntable setup as if they didn't know old school hip hop requires vinyl. The crew proceed to run over to the house dj and grab his tables. This guy must have been some sort of amateur because he pulled out some Playskool My First Dj setup shit that looked like it cost $20. Then the mics weren't working. This whole time, the clock was ticking and people were getting anxious that it was well past 12, and still no De la. The crew then realized that the tables were too low, and tried to prop them up on the cases to elevate them. This became too cluttered with 4 turntables and the mixer and wires running all over the place, so they had to run to the back and get a bigger table. The clock is still ticking. At this point, Maseo comes out to look at the shit and realized the turntables were complete garbage. I watched him desperately try to remove the cartridges and get these tables to work properly about 6 times before he finally gave up. On top of this, the mics still weren't setup right. Maseo looked like he was ready to burst. He finally resorted to pulling out his laptop and using the cd turntables after all, only because it was after 1am and people were getting pissed. They finally came on stage and put on one hell of a 50 minute performance.

On top of all of this, the first opening act was pathetic to say the least. These guys were some kids who looked like they should have been dancing to some soulja boy. There was some scrawny kid in the back who did nothing more than stand there with his hands in his pockets and not move at all. No head bobbing, no swaying, nothing. He was a statue and I still haven't figured out was his purpose was. I happened to be walking into the bar at the same time as them and overheard the bouncer giving them shit because they had minors with them. He informed them that they were to have no alcohol, stay in the back, and leave as soon as they were done. He asked the one who I later found out was the "rapper" if they were friends with De La Soul and the kid responded with "who's that?" Who's that!? How the fuck are you going to open for De La Soul and not know who they are? What a fuckin disgrace.

Anyway, De la was quick to point out that all complaints should be sent to their agent and didn't hesitate to give out his info.
For those that didn't get it, their agent is PETER SCHWARTZ at The AGENCY GROUP.

Email: PeterSchwartz@theagencygroup.com

email this guy and tell him what a screw up he is for not making sure a venue is adequate for his artists.

HighVoltage
Member since Jan 04th 2004
16583 posts
Mon Aug-17-09 04:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "what the fuck?"
In response to Reply # 9

this tour is De La backed by the Rhythm Roots All-Stars, a 10 piece band and the venue only had a DJ deck set up with a cd?

~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.itsallthewaylive.net

www.twitter.com/allthewaylive

sound_quality
110 posts
Tue Aug-18-09 02:36 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "RE: what the fuck?"
In response to Reply # 12

yup. no band, and no real turntables.

Aquaman7
15 posts
Sat Aug-15-09 05:14 PM

10. "Damn"
In response to Reply # 8

That really sucks. I hope this post wasn't what made you go - my sincere apologies if it did.

sound_quality
110 posts
Mon Aug-17-09 02:47 PM

11. "RE: Damn"
In response to Reply # 10
Mon Aug-17-09 02:47 PM by sound_quality

i hadn't heard about it til i read this post.

don't forget to file your complaints people!

Intruder
Member since Dec 25th 2003
37 posts
Sun Aug-09-09 07:21 PM

2. "RE: PHILLY: De La Soul, 8/14"
In response to Reply # 0

I went to the show in Atlanta the other night. Awesome show.. Half the show was with a live band and the other half was good old De La with Maseo on the 1's & 2's

Double M
Charter member
723 posts
Thu Aug-13-09 03:31 PM

5. "The DC show was amazing."
In response to Reply # 2

So if the Philly show is anything the D.C. performance, the show should be great.

De La was backed by the Rhythm Roots All-Stars and they performed songs from their entire catalogue, minus the recent Nike run mix.

Easily one of the best shows I've seen this year!

J_Sun
Charter member
33508 posts
Tue Aug-11-09 12:25 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "I want to go to there"
In response to Reply # 0

being laid off sucks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Sometimes I comtemplate moving to a warmer place, then the lake and skyline give me a warm embrace" © Common

radin
Charter member
29499 posts
Thu Aug-13-09 08:08 PM

6. "Just went to the Bmore show off the chains except...."
In response to Reply # 0

the very last act before De La came on that were from Philly. They were horrible. And the hype man looked like Al Roker with a gold chain

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Fri Aug-14-09 11:23 AM

7. "The Title"
In response to Reply # 6

of this post is misleading, i am upset now.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion topic #185789 Previous topic | Next topic