Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion topic #185670

Subject: "The Roots @ Kitchener, Ontario for CEMF" Previous topic | Next topic
MapleHutt
Member since Mar 27th 2004
618 posts
Thu Jul-30-09 04:25 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Roots @ Kitchener, Ontario for CEMF"

Are any Okayplayers going for Sunday's show?

I plan on going... alone, since no one I know can make it out.

I'm fully okay with that considering I went to see them at Kool Haus alone last year and ended up meeting some new faces. That was my favourite hip-hop show EVER by the way (and I've been to Rock The Bells in NYC 2007 and Toronto/Mississauga 2008 and Toronto this year).

However, if anyone would like to meet up, I would be completely fine with that too!

Either way, I'm sure The Roots are going to put on a KILLER show! I can't wait to hear "How I Got Over" live.

I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised by the other acts on the bill as well.

-----------------------------------------
DJ Tang-a-Lang
www.chry.fm
www.fusionradio.ca

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: The Roots @ Kitchener, Ontario for CEMF
Aug 03rd 2009
Show Review
Aug 03rd 2009
RE: Show Review
Aug 04th 2009
      RE: Show Review
Aug 05th 2009

crazydave69
Charter member
396 posts
Mon Aug-03-09 10:06 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via ICQ
1. "RE: The Roots @ Kitchener, Ontario for CEMF"
In response to Reply # 0

I was there last night. It was F***in incredible.

MapleHutt
618 posts
Mon Aug-03-09 01:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Show Review"
In response to Reply # 0

It was indeed a GREAT show. Amazing performances, and the lead in off of Bedouin Soundclash was great. The music that led into The Roots was all Slum Village tracks which was obviously a tribute to Baatin (and J Dilla).

The first track The Roots led with was Thought @ Work, which was appropriate as well with the line "Whaddup n**** T3, n**** Baatin". At first I was expecting a Slum Village tribute, but I understand that considering Baatin only passed away last night there wouldn't be much prep time. Also, (no offense intended) the crowd at Kitchener probably wouldn't really appreciate the tribute that much.

I won't ruin the show for anyone else who sees them this year, but it was incredible... great setlist and the performance was definitely different from last year during the Rising Down tour. Last year's Roots show at Kool Haus was the greatest hip-hop show I had ever been too. This year's didn't top it for me, but it was definitely up there. I would say that this show was a lot more upbeat and "dance-able" than last year's show.

The funniest thing was seeing people mosh and crowd surf to "Mellow My Man". Definitely odd. It made a lot of sense during "Thought @ Work" and "Here I Come" though.

I was very impressed by the show though and am totally glad I drove 120 km to see them. I didn't meet any Okayplayers though (I even threw up the okay hand sign!)... but there were definitely a bunch of people from Toronto there.

Did anyone see what the sign that a person near the front of the crowd held up at the end of the show that ?uestlove laughed at?

Anyone get a drum stick? I wasn't looking when he threw the second one, and when I turned around, all I saw was people grabbing next to my feet and then I saw the drumstick too late. I WAS REALLY close! Hahaha... better luck next time.

DJ Tang-a-Lang
www.chry.fm
www.fusionradio.ca

daveburnett
Member since Aug 04th 2009
1 posts
Tue Aug-04-09 08:14 PM

3. "RE: Show Review"
In response to Reply # 2

Bet you didn't expect for that someone who got the drumstick to be on okay based on the crowd at the concert haha...but i got that exact drumstick your talkin bout...i dove on the ground to get it haha...im framing it...the concert was nuts tho...one of the best individual performances ive seen...rock the bells still tops it cause of all the acts...but how can you not appreciate the roots for movin a crowd predominated by fans as you described - mostly there for ill scarlett and a mosh pit...after the concert one guy came up to me and tried to explain to me who the roots were...he said "you know jimmy falon? theyre his band on the late show...theyre a hip hop group from back in the day like wu-tang" haha...i just nodded politely and thanked him for the info...glad to know you were another appreciative hip-hop fan in the crowd...also dont know if ppl caught grand analog but i thought they also played a nice set on the bud stage

MapleHutt
618 posts
Wed Aug-05-09 10:12 AM

4. "RE: Show Review"
In response to Reply # 3
Wed Aug-05-09 10:13 AM by MapleHutt

>Bet you didn't expect for that someone who got the drumstick
>to be on okay based on the crowd at the concert haha...but i
>got that exact drumstick your talkin bout...i dove on the
>ground to get it haha...im framing it...the concert was nuts
>tho...one of the best individual performances ive seen...rock
>the bells still tops it cause of all the acts...but how can
>you not appreciate the roots for movin a crowd predominated by
>fans as you described - mostly there for ill scarlett and a
>mosh pit...after the concert one guy came up to me and tried
>to explain to me who the roots were...he said "you know jimmy
>falon? theyre his band on the late show...theyre a hip hop
>group from back in the day like wu-tang" haha...i just nodded
>politely and thanked him for the info...glad to know you were
>another appreciative hip-hop fan in the crowd...

Oh hey, I hope I didn't sound like I was insulting the crowd, I just felt like they weren't your average hip-hop crowd (seeing as the show was mostly rock, dub and ska bands). And trust me, I'm GLAD The Roots performed for that crowd. I like it when fans of other types of music can get introduced to hip-hop. Vice versa especially... I know too many closed-minded hip-hop music fans.

I definitely didn't expect to hear from the guy that got the drumstick that was like 3 inches from my foot, hahaha! I was the one wearing a box of Tang around his neck and wearing a green ?uesto Okayplayer shirt, if you were wondering. Congratulations on getting the stick.

For me, I've been to Rock The Bells NYC Day 2 in 2007, so I saw everybody on the bill EXCEPT The Roots (they were in Toronto minus ?uestlove for Rogers Picnic) & EPMD, meaning I saw Rage Against The Machine, Wu-Tang Clan, Public Enemy, Cypress Hill, Rakim, Black Star, & Pharoahe Monch. I went to Rock The Bells last year and this year in Mississauga and Toronto (respectively)... I've also seen Kanye in 2004 for his College Dropout tour @ The Docks, and it was great...

BUT STILL, to this date, the 2008 Roots show at Kool Haus in promotion of "Rising Down" was BY FAR the best hip-hop show I'd ever been to. The way The Roots had the sound set up, with usage of reverb and left-right channel mixing... it was just silly. I damn near cried at that performance man. They did their "Masters Of War" Bob Dylan cover and even though I'd heard the recording off of the Dylan tribute show... it was incredible to hear live. It will take a helluva lot to top that show for me.

>also dont know
>if ppl caught grand analog but i thought they also played a
>nice set on the bud stage

Yeah man, I'd heard some of Grand Analog's stuff while working at a community radio station in Scarborough, and I liked the material. Seeing them live was great! Definitely a great set. I liked the MC's charisma... very upbeat and positive. It was fitting that he had a Tribe "The Low End Theory" T-shirt on.

Edit: fixed a typo.

DJ Tang-a-Lang
www.chry.fm
www.fusionradio.ca

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion topic #185670 Previous topic | Next topic