Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion topic #184809

Subject: "Blackstar early show 5/30" Previous topic | Next topic
August1ne
Member since Jul 15th 2006
54 posts
Tue Jun-02-09 07:46 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Blackstar early show 5/30"

Anyone else go to this? I thought the DJs and Black Violin were dope. 88 almost got booed off stage! I felt so bad for that girl who came out to do his interludes, and what was up with that Kanye impression? I felt for dude, but that set was BAD. The beats were beautiful but the lyrics were not suited to that crowd. He had mad energy, but nobody seemed to be feeling it, least of all the guy next to me who kept screaming "You suck!!!"
Blackstar came out and made everything right. Their set was so fresh, from the new stuff to the classics. I was looking forward to some new reflection joints but the mos teasers (History was DOPE) were just fine. They need to make 800 more albums together.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Blackstar early show 5/30
Jun 10th 2009
yea, i was there.
Jun 11th 2009
they closed both shows with Respiration n/m
Jun 11th 2009
      akward....
Aug 16th 2009
           awkward.
Jan 23rd 2010
Jun 12th 2009
i posted the entire show here-
Jun 12th 2009
      Thanks for this HV
Jun 16th 2009
      RE: i posted the entire show here-
Jun 16th 2009
Jul 26th 2009
Jul 28th 2009
Aug 17th 2009
they tricked the crowd right?
Aug 04th 2009
RE: they tricked the crowd right?
Aug 11th 2009
Aug 21st 2009
Sep 01st 2009

Member since Jan 10th 2009
2 posts
Wed Jun-10-09 07:31 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Blackstar early show 5/30"
In response to Reply # 0

Black Violin was amazing. Would like to hear more from them soon. And 88-Keys was hilarious, but no one seemed to really get it. And it was good to hear Mos in form. Caught him in New Orleans in August and he was brutal. Kweli sounds better than ever.

MsBliss
Member since Dec 29th 2007
2851 posts
Thu Jun-11-09 12:39 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "yea, i was there."
In response to Reply # 0

it was pretty dope. black violin was NICE!
mos' performance of umi says was wonderful.
im sad they didnt do respiration. and i would
have been great to have special guest drop in
for some collabs.

'subconsciously i'm a peacock' -mike tyson

http://jatovia.com

http://twitter.com/jatovia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0B8v2Ar8zw

HighVoltage
Member since Jan 04th 2004
16583 posts
Thu Jun-11-09 01:10 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "they closed both shows with Respiration n/m"
In response to Reply # 2

~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.itsallthewaylive.net

www.twitter.com/allthewaylive

zuma1986
Member since Dec 18th 2006
9085 posts
Sun Aug-16-09 04:51 PM

12. "akward...."
In response to Reply # 3

MsBliss
Member since Dec 29th 2007
2851 posts
Sat Jan-23-10 10:28 PM

16. "awkward."
In response to Reply # 12

& i stayed to the very end & dont recall seeing it.

*shrugs*

'subconsciously i'm a peacock' -mike tyson

http://jatovia.com

http://twitter.com/jatovia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0B8v2Ar8zw

August1ne
54 posts
Fri Jun-12-09 01:07 PM

4. "RE: Blackstar early show 5/30"
In response to Reply # 0

Anybody got audio/video from either show? I saw the rap radar stuff which was pretty dope, but more is...well, more. I remember thinking the whole time, much like the roots shows i've been to, that this would be a dope DVD.
I agree that Kwe's voice has gotten much better since the last time I saw him. Dude sounded like Batman last time! And Umi Says was off the hook, I think I saw a few people tearing up. That song is so inspiring. These guys are amazing. Thank God for them.

HighVoltage
Member since Jan 04th 2004
16583 posts
Fri Jun-12-09 02:28 PM

5. "i posted the entire show here-"
In response to Reply # 4

http://www.itsallthewaylive.net/2009/06/blackstar-nokia-theatre-nyc-5-30-09/

~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.itsallthewaylive.net

www.twitter.com/allthewaylive

SerReal
Member since May 23rd 2005
568 posts
Tue Jun-16-09 09:35 AM

6. "Thanks for this HV"
In response to Reply # 5

August1ne
54 posts
Tue Jun-16-09 01:41 PM

7. "RE: i posted the entire show here-"
In response to Reply # 5

You probably get this all the time, but you are the man. Thanks.

88-Keys
Member since Oct 11th 2007
645 posts
Sun Jul-26-09 07:33 PM

8. "RE: Blackstar early show 5/30"
In response to Reply # 0

Yeah, I'd say this was a pretty accurate description of this event (unfortunately). Since this show, with the help of my wife, my manager/best friend & Mr. Bentley, I realized a LOT of things which I've now tweaked for my shows here after. One thing is I realized how many people DIDN'T buy my album; A lot of people were left wonder why the Hell I was bringing out 'some chic' on stage in between my songs. Uh... She's on my album... The album the audience never heard. ha *sobs on the inside* But I thank God the night panned out exactly how it did or else I wouldn't be killin' the shows I have been during The Great Hangover Tour which I'm part of. Well, the East coast leg of the tour @ least. A lot of people still don't know who I am but all leave feeling presently surprised @ my songs (which many are hearing for the first time) & my performance.

So again, I must thank all of the naysayers that faithful night @ Nokia Theatre Times Square. You all made me up my performance game up by dumbing my performance down to just beats & lyrics. I cut out a ton of my theatrics which I felt brought my story to life. But I guess if you're not expecting a 'play' of sorts of a performance then I'd have to go back to the basics. I guess until I go platinum (or even gold) then I can't put my own lil' super scaled back version of the Glow In The Dark Tour (awesome stage show with heavy concept) together for the people. That's pretty much what I was trying to do. Give the people a little more than just a dude walking back & forth on stage rapping AT them. I was rarely impressed by such shows myself.

Thanks for the rap up & recount of the show. You've given me a forum to finally explain myself.

88-Keys of Locksmith Music, LLC

http://eightyocho.com

August1ne
54 posts
Tue Jul-28-09 10:39 PM

9. "RE: Blackstar early show 5/30"
In response to Reply # 8

Brother don't get me wrong, I've been a fan since waaaaay back (10 years now...wow) and i remember checking for anything that had your name on it. Jane Doe's 'bisexual' comes to mind. I wasn't really feeling the lyrics (even though jane is tough) but that beat was so soothing, like everything else you did. Your beats have only gotten better, it's just the concept I wasn't feeling. By the way, props to that 'some chic' - it took guts to keep coming out into the lion's den.
Thanks for posting here and also for stepping up your show- I'll be checking for you- and if you drop an instrumental album I'll cop that twice.
Peace

88-Keys
Member since Oct 11th 2007
645 posts
Mon Aug-17-09 04:37 PM

13. "RE: Blackstar early show 5/30"
In response to Reply # 9
Mon Aug-17-09 04:39 PM by 88-Keys

Thanks homeboy. All good. Not everyone's perfect. I'm still "Workinonit" Oh but my show now has been pretty well received across the board now. The Great Hangover Tour was awesome! But they did the worst thing to me in 2 of the worst cities to do it in. They (tour/production manager) asked me in both NEW YORK & PHILADELPHIA to perform for an extra half hour longer than I was supposed to due to the other line ups. So, once again, I kind of wore out my welcome in both NY & PA.

88-Keys of Locksmith Music, LLC

http://eightyocho.com

jeanlouis61
Member since Dec 02nd 2005
3416 posts
Tue Aug-04-09 11:24 PM

10. "they tricked the crowd right?"
In response to Reply # 0

was 88 even on the card?

follow me @oldirtyplaster on the Twitter thing.....i say awesome stuff

August1ne
54 posts
Tue Aug-11-09 04:50 PM

11. "RE: they tricked the crowd right?"
In response to Reply # 10

He was a warm up for the early show, after Black Violin. No tricks.

Sucio Smash
Member since Feb 19th 2007
977 posts
Fri Aug-21-09 11:24 AM

14. "RE: Blackstar early show 5/30"
In response to Reply # 0

>Anyone else go to this? I thought the DJs and Black Violin
>were dope.

Thanks for that. I was the dj. ;0)

88 almost got booed off stage! I felt so bad for
>that girl who came out to do his interludes, and what was up
>with that Kanye impression? I felt for dude, but that set was
>BAD. The beats were beautiful but the lyrics were not suited
>to that crowd. He had mad energy, but nobody seemed to be
>feeling it, least of all the guy next to me who kept screaming
>"You suck!!!"
>Blackstar came out and made everything right. Their set was
>so fresh, from the new stuff to the classics. I was looking
>forward to some new reflection joints but the mos teasers
>(History was DOPE) were just fine. They need to make 800 more
>albums together.

HIGH WATER MUSIC / THE SHOP

August1ne
54 posts
Tue Sep-01-09 05:13 PM

15. "RE: Blackstar early show 5/30"
In response to Reply # 14

Hey Sucio
I didn't know you posted on here. Your sets were dope, and you didn't beat us in the head too much for not singing along enough

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion topic #184809 Previous topic | Next topic