Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion topic #182227

Subject: "Mos Def at the Blue Note" Previous topic | Next topic
a kingswife
Member since Feb 28th 2006
12 posts
Thu Jan-29-09 01:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Mos Def at the Blue Note"
Thu Jan-29-09 01:43 PM by a kingswife

did any of you attend the Mos Def show at The Blue Note on 1/24 or any other night he was there? I did and wasn't really impressed. Huge fan of his but just thought the show was Ok, no more then that. The crowd was begging for Umi Says and Climb but he was firm about sticking to what they had on their set list. Also his band seemed to "perform" more then he did and when he did De La Soul's Stakes is High, it was good but would have rathered him do something of his own.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Mos Def at the Blue Note
Jan 30th 2009
i went to 3 of the shows and each was amazing
Jan 30th 2009
Jan 31st 2009
Feb 10th 2009

drokphrend
Member since Sep 29th 2002
2743 posts
Fri Jan-30-09 11:51 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "RE: Mos Def at the Blue Note"
In response to Reply # 0

i went to the first show...1/23 at 8...he did do 'umi says', 'boogieman' and stuck to the set list, but i spoke to glasper and apparently it was a different set list for each show...so i mean..if u went to them all u probably got a real nice glimpse of mos' catalogue, covers, features, etc...i was pretty pleased with it..i mean how can u expect mos to play along when he doesnt play an instrument...seemed like they did the best they could with what they had...if u dont know the musicians theyre all really dope and id rather see them soloing then hear mos scatting or whatever he might do to improv...the covers were real nice (radiohead's "all i need" especially) and he did songs off the new album too..i wonder what ur show was like

my music: www.myspace.com/dresproduces

"im simply the cat that lay back, i chill and watch you, the silent ninja, intent to injure now i got you, sanity lost so now im found insane, thinkin streets to jeeps, hours days to weeks, i even speak to geeks..."

HighVoltage
Member since Jan 04th 2004
16583 posts
Fri Jan-30-09 04:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "i went to 3 of the shows and each was amazing"
In response to Reply # 0

if you're going this to show expecting to hear Mos do all of his own classics, then you should have went to the show at Highline 2 weeks ago instead. the shows with his band are special and each one is unique in its own right.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.itsallthewaylive.net

www.twitter.com/allthewaylive

Dupree90
Member since Jul 10th 2005
639 posts
Sat Jan-31-09 12:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RE: Mos Def at the Blue Note"
In response to Reply # 0

Well I saw the show on 1/24, and I think the show was great. He did an Eric Dolphy cover ("Serene"), and a Tony Williams cover ("Fred" in which Mos said Forever Reaching Every Day is what Fred meant to him). And He told some one in the crowd that he ad the band was going to stick to a set list. Covered "All I Need" as well, and performed a song he wrote for his kids and "Perfect Timing" @ the keyboard (Mos plays several instruments.....(Dave Chapelle's Block party saw him playing the drums).He was even cool enough to take a pic with me, great show.

TheloniousBlack
Member since Jun 18th 2007
37 posts
Tue Feb-10-09 02:29 PM

4. "RE: Mos Def at the Blue Note"
In response to Reply # 3

the show was great and I completely enjoy his set...

A lot of cats who buy records are straight broke
But my language universal they be recitin my quotes

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion topic #182227 Previous topic | Next topic