Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion topic #181226

Subject: "Sorry if I have missed this big time but Jimmy Fallon..." Previous topic | Next topic
Ranga
Member since Aug 07th 2003
876 posts
Mon Dec-08-08 03:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Sorry if I have missed this big time but Jimmy Fallon..."

Is this true - I cannot find any posts about it but I don't understand why?

"I'm honest to a fault and it's my fault I'm that honest" - Vast

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Sorry if I have missed this big time but Jimmy Fallon...
Dec 08th 2008
Let me get this out of the way...
Dec 08th 2008
I'm glad you're as distraught as I am
Dec 08th 2008
      RE: I'm glad you're as distraught as I am
Dec 08th 2008
           RE: I'm glad you're as distraught as I am
Dec 08th 2008
                jeez
Dec 08th 2008
patience, grasshopper
Dec 08th 2008
RE: patience, grasshopper
Dec 09th 2008
Dec 09th 2008
Dec 09th 2008
wow...
Dec 09th 2008
congrats guys!
Dec 10th 2008
but why Jimmy Fallon???
Dec 11th 2008
RE: but why Jimmy Fallon???
Dec 11th 2008
RE: but why Jimmy Fallon???
Jan 27th 2009

Scope
Member since Mar 17th 2006
136 posts
Mon Dec-08-08 03:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Sorry if I have missed this big time but Jimmy Fallon..."
In response to Reply # 0

i just came in here to ask the same question myself

i really hope this isnt true for so very many reasons

Scope
136 posts
Mon Dec-08-08 03:58 PM

2. "Let me get this out of the way..."
In response to Reply # 0

...since I know how conversations usually go on here.

Tipping Point and Things Fall Apart are two of my top albums of all time. Phren, DYWM, and Organix aren't on my GOAT list, but they're damn good too. Additonally, I've seen the Roots live more times than I can count and many of those shows rank among the best concert experiences of my life.

The Roots could never do anything else again and they've already given a ton to me and other fans. Geffen dropped the ball horribly on Tipping Point and they've never gotten their due, so I'm glad to see them get cash and attention even when I am not necessarily thrilled with the reasons behind it.

That being said, the last two albums were way sub par and felt rushed. I hope they got paid, but I found the songs disappointing. It's also going to be disappointing if they stop touring to be Jimmy Fallon's house band. Not only will I miss seeing their live shows, but I also can't imagine anything cool or creative coming out of any project attached to Jimmy Fallon. This is not like when The Roots and others appeared on Chapelle's Show. Dave is a genius and let the bands on his show play their music and participate in some funny sketches. Jimmy Fallon, on the other hand, has never done anything good or remotely funny. I can't imagine anything good will come out of this partnership from a longtime fan's perspective (hell, even if he let them play good stuff on the show and they did hilarious skits it would be hard to imagine any tv show being worth losing out on all future tours).

Like I said though, good for them if this means they finally make serious bank and get wider exposure. I just hope that they find a way to still do some touring if this rumor is true*.

*I didn't see the video that spawned this rumor, but I'm assuming it's true because of the silence on the boards re: this subject

Ranga
876 posts
Mon Dec-08-08 04:07 PM

3. "I'm glad you're as distraught as I am"
In response to Reply # 2

I love the Roots and good for them but I'm in shock.

The silence has activated my conspiracy alarm.

Scope
136 posts
Mon Dec-08-08 04:36 PM

4. "RE: I'm glad you're as distraught as I am"
In response to Reply # 3

yeah the silence is def speaking volumes here

and i find it hard to believe that posts weren't excised if gawker posted on this back in mid november

im not even sure how i didnt find out about this until now

The Big ED
Member since Dec 24th 2007
393 posts
Mon Dec-08-08 05:39 PM

5. "RE: I'm glad you're as distraught as I am"
In response to Reply # 4

Yeah its true. All the posts about it were up about three weeks ago.

Scope
136 posts
Mon Dec-08-08 05:45 PM

6. "jeez"
In response to Reply # 5

wonder why they had to take them down

must be some legal shit with nbc...

damn

SMH

pidgwillot
Member since Jun 28th 2005
280 posts
Mon Dec-08-08 08:31 PM

7. "patience, grasshopper"
In response to Reply # 0

all will be explained soon, I'm sure.
Don't worry, albums will still be made and shows will still be played.

Scope
136 posts
Tue Dec-09-08 11:37 AM

8. "RE: patience, grasshopper"
In response to Reply # 7

i hope you're right

i saw ?uest is already in here talking about a second picnic so sounds like you do know what youre talking about

im SURE fallons show will suck (especially after seeing the first "webisode"), but i have 0 problem seeing the roots gain from it if it doesnt mean they have to stop making music

im bet they will stop touring and recording one day for personal reasons, but to see them stop for this would be a shame...

would love to see donnell rawlings do a late night show with the roots as house band. if this was him or conan or any good comic id be looking forward to it and expecting greatness.

i just cant imagine anything funny or good being associated with jimmy fallon

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Tue Dec-09-08 12:25 PM

9. "RE: patience, grasshopper"
In response to Reply # 8

i for one am happy for the roots that they get to have a set job like this in one place. i'm sure it will be better for their personal lives. it might even make their live shows more special when they do happen. that being said, i hope they still make albums.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

Hiquanji
Charter member
85 posts
Tue Dec-09-08 01:27 PM

10. "RE: patience, grasshopper"
In response to Reply # 9

I stumbled upon the Roots after they opened for Dave Matthews back in the TFA days. I immediately bought TFA and their previous albums, fell in love with the sound and creativity of a live hip hop band. The Roots gave me Okayplayer and opened my ears to the sounds of Common, Talib, LB, and countless other unique artists whom I became a fan of. They also have performed some of the top live shows I have been lucky enough to attend, maintaining that level of consistent performance while touring on a ridiculous schedule which included the majority of the past 10 years...all while coming up with time to create album after album of their own creative material which they poured their sound into. The rest is long overdue, glad they can find a stable period to enjoy their lives from the comforts of a place they can call home. I look forward to what this time will produce from an album standpoint, the Roots band moves in a new direction but the soul will remain the same. Thank you Roots band members (past and present) hope I get a chance to catch to catch the final show of the decade+ long tour.

Ranga
876 posts
Tue Dec-09-08 02:12 PM

11. "wow..."
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/

msbadu2003
Member since Jul 06th 2005
9754 posts
Wed Dec-10-08 12:46 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "congrats guys!"
In response to Reply # 0

this is a real good look!

Goose
Member since Feb 05th 2006
4635 posts
Thu Dec-11-08 11:39 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "but why Jimmy Fallon???"
In response to Reply # 0

i wish dave would do a late night talk show and then the roots would be his band, that would make sense, but jimmy fallon? i dont see the connection

http://smallkidbigcity.tumblr.com/
www.facebook.com/zgase
www.facebook.com/pages/Goose/207963479294713
www.twitter.com/gooseohio
www.dwightschrutebeetf

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Thu Dec-11-08 01:21 PM

14. "RE: but why Jimmy Fallon???"
In response to Reply # 13

how about money and stability?

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Tue Jan-27-09 01:13 PM

15. "RE: but why Jimmy Fallon???"
In response to Reply # 13

Because Jimmy Fallon hsa a show, duh? You could conjure up your dream scenario but they had to evaluate the very real opportunity that was in front of them. And opportunities like this don't come often.

Fallon was a good weekend update host and now I think he is infinitely cooler than I previously thought because of his interest in the roots.

If at the end of the day it doesn't work , they can leave.

Give it a chance and don't be so closed minded folks.

"See he's organized, and he's on the ball. Never miss a day of school,and he's a underdog. Wanna learn more and more, cuz his mama taught him good. He's about to change the face of yo ghetto neighborhood." (c) Badu

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion topic #181226 Previous topic | Next topic