Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion topic #179413

Subject: "Rolling Stone on first Roots/GCH show (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
quikfit
Charter member
1897 posts
Mon Oct-06-08 02:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Rolling Stone on first Roots/GCH show (swipe)"

This seems...interesting?
The write up makes it seem like it was a really odd Roots set. And only a 10 song set?
I'll still be going to the show later this month, but seems like it might be a bit different from the norm.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2008/10/06/the-roots-gym-class-heroes-fire-up-big-jams-political-messages-at-baltimore-tour-kick-off/#more-7779

_______________________________________________________________________________________
Soul music is bad, bad, bad!

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Rolling Stone on first Roots/GCH show (swipe)
Oct 06th 2008
Different?
Oct 06th 2008
RE: Different?
Oct 07th 2008
I saw them with Badu in June
Oct 07th 2008
      Except rolling stone posted the setlist and it's the same ol'
Oct 07th 2008
RE: Rolling Stone on first Roots/GCH show (swipe)
Oct 07th 2008
i just wish "i can understand it" stayed permanently on the set.
Oct 07th 2008
one day
Oct 08th 2008
the b'more crowd was lame.
Oct 08th 2008
Saw them a night later
Oct 08th 2008
i agree
Oct 08th 2008
Fucking HOB early ass shows. The Orlando show was cool.
Oct 08th 2008

way2saucee
Charter member
2349 posts
Mon Oct-06-08 10:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "RE: Rolling Stone on first Roots/GCH show (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

>This seems...interesting?
>The write up makes it seem like it was a really odd Roots set.

Odd, or just something fresh for those that have seen the Roots multiple times?

roll on you Bears....

Troubled Spirits
Member since Nov 05th 2003
1934 posts
Mon Oct-06-08 10:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Different?"
In response to Reply # 0

This is the same show The Roots have been doing this whole year. Back in April (Langerado time), and on the Erykah Badu tour.

Although it was cool that they switched it up and "winged it" nightly on the Badu tour (maybe they'll do that on this tour, too), it's still the same basic structure and song selection they've been rolling with for a minute.

That being said, I'll be seeing them Wednesday in Miami.

http://adrianruhi.wordpress.com/

mr merrick blvd
Member since Oct 05th 2007
70 posts
Tue Oct-07-08 02:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RE: Different?"
In response to Reply # 2

not the most gripping review, 2 things i hope for the NYC show.

1 thought sufficiently rips the mic
2 the roots headline

way2saucee
Charter member
2349 posts
Tue Oct-07-08 02:39 PM

4. "I saw them with Badu in June"
In response to Reply # 2

and that set was what I call their "standard festivel set," meaning it's what you expect at rock the bells type of tour. They didn't really deviate too much, I would expect more of that plus longer solos and such from this tour.

The other thing I noticed is I didn't hear too many Rising Down songs. I think only Rising Up and Get Busy... hopefully they'll do more on this tour.

HighVoltage
Member since Jan 04th 2004
16583 posts
Tue Oct-07-08 06:16 PM

5. "Except rolling stone posted the setlist and it's the same ol'"
In response to Reply # 4

and yeah I know it's not fair for me of all people to criticize with the amount of shows I hear, but it's been this setlist for some time now (assuming rolling stone got it right) and in interviews the band has mentioned a new setlist on numerous occaisons.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.itsallthewaylive.net

www.twitter.com/allthewaylive

illeagle
Member since Sep 19th 2002
2748 posts
Tue Oct-07-08 08:14 PM

6. "RE: Rolling Stone on first Roots/GCH show (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Oct-07-08 08:17 PM by illeagle

This review mentions the crowd, standing around bored during Kirk's solo, waiting for the next "You Got Me" verse. I have one thing to say to that if that was true:

WTF?!

I'm thinking this reviewer didn't like the rock covers and chose to only see the people standing around... cuz folks in Nawfuck were lovin it...and same at All Points West. And with how much the Roots play in B'more, I seriously doubt they wouldn't do a Hip Hop 101 instead if ?uesto knew the crowd wasn't going to be into it.

B Side
Member since Mar 12th 2003
1545 posts
Tue Oct-07-08 11:20 PM

7. "i just wish "i can understand it" stayed permanently on the set."
In response to Reply # 6

Member since Mar 01st 2005
9915 posts
Wed Oct-08-08 03:43 AM

8. "one day"
In response to Reply # 0

journalists that actually get the music will review my shit. not just cats that draw the shortest straw.

NO! LIST
Tom Petty
M J
Zeppelin
Springsteen
Neil Young
Eagles
Ray Charles
Madonna
Chuck Berry
South Park TV Songs
Justin Timberlake
"Food Glorious Food"
"Twilight Zone" theme
"A Boy Named Sue"
"Night Moves"
"The Situation"
"Superbowl Shuffle"

Pkjr703
Member since Jun 30th 2002
987 posts
Wed Oct-08-08 07:49 AM

9. "the b'more crowd was lame."
In response to Reply # 0

i think a lot where in the house to see GCH, cause as the roots went on about 3 songs in some "hipsters/teeny boppers/emo" heads made the way out. from seeing the roots many times in DC, this was one of the very few roots show where the ppl were not dancing, besides the theater shows. stiff crowd not a lot of movement for a roots show and some drunk fellow who thought he was backup to kirk who felt it was necessary to sing out loud, and off key (HV, i hope you can master it out). over all it was a solid roots set, and kirk again stepped up his game, although they didnt do hip hop 101, the guns and roses cover made up for it. as much as it might seem that im hating on the b'more crowd, i think i should just blame it on GCH's fans. about 2 years ago, the last time the roots where at Rams Head it was one of the dopest roots show i attended. one of the illest hub solos ever. the roots are still the greatest show on earth.

www.definitivedoodle.com

www.therootslive.com

josephmurf2384
Member since Nov 21st 2005
5288 posts
Wed Oct-08-08 09:41 AM

10. "Saw them a night later"
In response to Reply # 9
Wed Oct-08-08 09:42 AM by josephmurf2384

And yeah the crowd was kinda stiff, i was like five feet from the stage and some chick said i better not spill my beer on her in a real snooty manner. I have also never had such an easy time getting to the stage during the legendary, moved from the back to five feet with ease. I definitely enjoyed the set, it was not what i was expecting at all.

bmoregrl
Member since Jun 04th 2008
61 posts
Wed Oct-08-08 08:09 PM

12. "i agree"
In response to Reply # 9

most of the people came to see gch and either left or moved away from the front (thanks i got closer). the people were stiff and i dont understand it. i enjoyed the show. i saw the roots at ramshead last for the hip hop honors tour. great crowd and great show. i dont know what happened in a year.

KingMonte
Member since Feb 13th 2006
4675 posts
Wed Oct-08-08 06:28 PM

11. "Fucking HOB early ass shows. The Orlando show was cool."
In response to Reply # 0

The audience...meh.
When the ticket said 6pm, I thought they padded the time.
Oh well, still had good positioning.

New dark Phish direction?
Is this fact or boosting up the word count?
While I like Kirk's solo segment a lot, I was a little annoyed that the GnR shit (finally) got some life in that crowd.
It was cool to see Kirk walking around the venue & it was cool to be able to tell him he kicked ass without it being rhetoric.
I defy anyone to remain still on Move on Up.

Oh, so I guess The Roots and GCH switch up the order, huh?
That's cool.
That dude Travis has a fuckload of charisma.

All in all a good night.
Plus I got to meet an Orlando artist -Paradoxx - that I'd heard on the radio and he's a real cool, down to earth cat: http://www.purecashmagazine.com/2008/09/20/paradoxx

I love the gender change with the GCH pair up.
Niiiice!

Finally, my theory on the GCH/Roots pairing.
Jay Z.
First, Travis & Kelly Rowland? Who would have put that together? Beyonce's dude.
LiveNation tour?
Jay's relationship with (when will there be a question mark with a fro?) ?uest and suggesting it would help both groups...
Just a theory.

I have a 400 year old chip on my shoulder.

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion topic #179413 Previous topic | Next topic