Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion topic #179233

Subject: "Hip Hop Live Tour" Previous topic | Next topic
Jeremywww
Charter member
815 posts
Mon Sep-29-08 03:26 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Hip Hop Live Tour"

If you have a chance to check this out in your city I highly recommend it. I think last night was the first show, here in San Diego.

the lineup (I think Little Brother is only on select dates, but not sure) was LB, David Banner and Talib Kweli. All the rappers were backed by the 10-piece Rhythm Roots Allstars.

Before LB came on the band warmed up the crowd with some Latin music and hip hop beats. Then LB took the stage and they sounded really good with the backing band. I have seen them twice before live and didn't think their live show translated as well as they sound on CDs. This was the best I have heard them sound and their portion of the show was pretty enjoyable.

I have never heard David Banner before and I am not really into radio-type artists but wow he put on a great show. Lots of energy and his lyrics sounded great with the backing band. He jumped up on the ledge of the balcony at one point and it was a LONG way down to the ground if he would have fell. Was in the crowd quite a bit too. Very entertaining show.

Talib was stellar, as always. Have seen him a bunch with and without a full band but this show rivaled his latenight set at this year's Bonnaroo, which was one of my favorite shows of his.

Was really disappointed that last year's show (Ghostface, Rakim Brother Ali) was canceled with the Rhythm Roots Allstars as the backing band so this was pretty cool. Hope they make this an annual event!

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
man I wanted to go but was moving this weekend
Sep 29th 2008
RE: man I wanted to go but was moving this weekend
Sep 29th 2008
tomorow house of blues LA im there
Sep 29th 2008
how long is each set?
Sep 29th 2008
RE: how long is each set?
Sep 30th 2008
LA review
Oct 01st 2008
RE: LA review
Oct 01st 2008
nope no magic reference
Oct 01st 2008
RE: LA review
Oct 02nd 2008

kelvinmercerlookalike
Member since Jan 08th 2006
6024 posts
Mon Sep-29-08 04:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "man I wanted to go but was moving this weekend"
In response to Reply # 0

it sounds like it was fun;

I saw LB @Canes when they were promoting the Minstrel Show and was impressed by their live show

www.smokingsection.net

Jeremywww
Charter member
815 posts
Mon Sep-29-08 04:41 PM

2. "RE: man I wanted to go but was moving this weekend"
In response to Reply # 1

Regarding LB, that is what some other people have told me too maybe it just doesn't appeal to me for whatever reason. I make it to a lot of shows so I guess I am spoiled in a sense where when it is just rappers and a DJ I can tend to get bored easily...

dropdabeat20
Member since Jun 28th 2008
144 posts
Mon Sep-29-08 06:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "tomorow house of blues LA im there"
In response to Reply # 0

david banner tho? o well

even when we suffer losses i count the victory

IF O.J. FUCK WITH MY SISTER YOU'LL FIND SOME BLOODY GLOVES AT MY HOUSE

aprila430
Member since Feb 04th 2008
159 posts
Mon Sep-29-08 11:02 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "how long is each set?"
In response to Reply # 0

were there any intermissions between artists or was it one right after the other

Jeremywww
Charter member
815 posts
Tue Sep-30-08 10:34 AM

5. "RE: how long is each set?"
In response to Reply # 4

Little Brother was probably about :30-:45 and I think the others got a full hour or maybe a little more. There was breaks between sets (small).

aprila430
159 posts
Wed Oct-01-08 11:58 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "LA review"
In response to Reply # 0

Went to the LA show. Little Brother had a nice set, wish it was twice as long.. but they definitely rocked it. David Banner was jumping all around the venue (into the crowd, at the bar, even in the balcony). Dude was throwing water onto the audience, dryhumping underaged girls, and doing Carlton-esque dances. Thought it was hilarious that he talked about how he had a rough month with his dad passing away, which he segued into his song “Suicide Doors”. Talib was dope, although I find it irritating how he brings out strong arm steady everytime he’s in LA. The Rhythm Roots All Stars were ok (after seeing The Legendary, it’s kinda messed up that all of your standards for live hip hop bands have gone up). I thought the breaks in between each artist were too long and unnecessary (would’ve been nice to see them rock the stage one right after the other). LA was the second date of the tour so the artists and the band had some trouble with the songs. Overall a pretty solid show and I think you should definitely check it out when it comes to your town.

Jeremywww
Charter member
815 posts
Wed Oct-01-08 12:52 PM

7. "RE: LA review"
In response to Reply # 6

Yeah Strong Arm Steady was here in SD too. Maybe they are rolling out for the whole tour. That Krondon is an ... interesting ... looking dude. I agree about the Rhythm Roots Allstars being a letdown after seeing the Roots so many times I thought they were dope though reminded me of Ozomatli. At the SD show David Banner said something about Magic Johnson and AIDS that got a negative reaction from the crowd. Did not hear everything he said I was at the bar. Did he do that in LA?

aprila430
159 posts
Wed Oct-01-08 05:46 PM

8. "nope no magic reference"
In response to Reply # 7

dropdabeat20
Member since Jun 28th 2008
144 posts
Thu Oct-02-08 12:44 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "RE: LA review"
In response to Reply # 6

i didnt mind that kweli brought out SAS but 3 songs with them was too much. kweli's song selection was a little suspect too. no 'respiration' or 'never been in love' but 'the blast' 'get em high' and 'get by' were highlights as always. lol at katt williams dancing his drunk ass off to 'get by' in the balcony. i met phonte after the show and got a picture. hes a real cool dude, he wouldnt tell me if 'leave it all behind' is all singing tho lol even tho i told him i really liked 'daykeeper' i went in with low expectations for david banner so i was actually happy w/ his performance

IF O.J. FUCK WITH MY SISTER YOU'LL FIND SOME BLOODY GLOVES AT MY HOUSE

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion topic #179233 Previous topic | Next topic