Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion topic #178943

Subject: "Has Raphael found another D'Angelo in CJ?" Previous topic | Next topic
rainbowchild
Charter member
1286 posts
Thu Sep-18-08 09:01 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Has Raphael found another D'Angelo in CJ?"

http://www.myspace.com/cjcapitalrecords

One 'less difficult' & burdened down with issues & situations' than d'angelo appears to be.

CJ stole the show on Raphael Saadiq's cd, to me.

If he can translate over into the masses as D'Angelo did, we in for a treat!

The first cd from these guys are always great, then thereafter, something goes awry, lol.

What's your take on him?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
No. Because there's only one D'angelo. Period
Sep 18th 2008
RE: No. Because there's only one D'angelo. Period
Sep 18th 2008
Negative. D'Angelo can only ursurp D'Angelo. There is NO other.
Sep 18th 2008
RE: Has Raphael found another D'Angelo in CJ?
Sep 18th 2008
RE: Has Raphael found another D'Angelo in CJ?
Sep 18th 2008
D'Angelo won't change the tide again either, imho
Sep 18th 2008
      RE: D'Angelo won't change the tide again either, imho
Sep 18th 2008
Sep 19th 2008
Sep 19th 2008
Sep 19th 2008
Sep 19th 2008
                     I don't blame him for staying away, but at times i do
Sep 19th 2008
                          RE: I don't blame him for staying away, but at times i do
Sep 19th 2008
                               I appreciate it JROD
Sep 19th 2008

Airbreed
Charter member
29433 posts
Thu Sep-18-08 12:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "No. Because there's only one D'angelo. Period"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Sep-18-08 12:11 PM by Airbreed

rainbowchild
Charter member
1286 posts
Thu Sep-18-08 12:42 PM

2. "RE: No. Because there's only one D'angelo. Period"
In response to Reply # 1

Let's face it Airbreed, we can all be replaced.

From athlete to musician alike, any occupation or endeavor under the sun, there's a replacement out there, best believe.

D'Angelo (or any other artist out there, past, present or future) isn't bringing anything to the table that we haven't heard, or have seen a variation of.

I think that our grand preceptions of D'Angelo have gotten so lofty that it has frustrated him into not wanting to release anything short of what he thinks will change the tide in music, as he was responsible for changing it in 1995.

bliz who
Member since Dec 21st 2005
3514 posts
Thu Sep-18-08 01:19 PM

3. "Negative. D'Angelo can only ursurp D'Angelo. There is NO other."
In response to Reply # 0

when D gets back, the music world will stop spinning for minute.

I hate the back of Forrest Whitaker's neck!!! (c)

phillie
Member since Jun 10th 2005
230 posts
Thu Sep-18-08 02:48 PM

4. "RE: Has Raphael found another D'Angelo in CJ?"
In response to Reply # 0

He's good, but D'Angelo he ain't.

However like what i've heard of him.

The Big ED
Member since Dec 24th 2007
393 posts
Thu Sep-18-08 05:36 PM

5. "RE: Has Raphael found another D'Angelo in CJ?"
In response to Reply # 0

He doesn't have the smae style as D. I think this CJ kid is good but he ain't changing nothing the way D can.

rainbowchild
Charter member
1286 posts
Thu Sep-18-08 11:04 PM

6. "D'Angelo won't change the tide again either, imho"
In response to Reply # 5

I don't know if D'Angelo would be as captivating & get r&b's music undivided attention ever again, like he had in his golden years.

D'Angelo's misgivings, painted him like a spoiled brat seeking attention, with his antics from 2002-2006. We not going to not recall these things when he reappears, it's still etched into our minds how fragile d'angelo can be.

In a lot of ways D'Angelo serves as a template to CJ, as to how fast & far you can spiral downward and loose touch with reality.

Whether or not CJ is relegated to being another 'Dwele' or 'Eric Roberson' remains to be seen.

Having Saadiq's backing certainly shouldn't work against him, as Saadiq more than likely helped him secure his deal with a Major.

The Big ED
393 posts
Thu Sep-18-08 11:20 PM

7. "RE: D'Angelo won't change the tide again either, imho"
In response to Reply # 6

Yeah but seriously, if D comes out with some heat, how many people are gonna be like "this fool is fragile".

When it comes to music, if your shits hot its hot. This is America. People will forgive someone for anything.

People can always bounce back. Lets not assume he isn't gonna do any thing good b4 hearing his stuff. Dude just needs encouragement and love.

rainbowchild
Charter member
1286 posts
Fri Sep-19-08 06:33 AM

8. "RE: D'Angelo won't change the tide again either, imho"
In response to Reply # 7

None here has encouraged & loved him more than i, ask around Ed, oh please Ed, just ask around.

Don't know him, never met him, but he's shown himself to be unappreciative & unreceptive to me.

At one time here, i was constantly encountered with negativity & verboseness for doing that very thing, in fact, if this post goes long enough it'll rear, it has to, as the bible says that a man of thinking abilities will be hated. Proverbs 14:17.

Would it have killed him to log on & correspond a bit? Or does he have to constantly stay in character?

It's disgusting when i think on it, but that's the chance you take when you extend yourself to others, right? You at anothers mercy.

rainbowchild
Charter member
1286 posts
Fri Sep-19-08 08:51 AM

9. "RE: D'Angelo won't change the tide again either, imho"
In response to Reply # 8

Is it that you just need my love & encouragement in the form of me buying your cd's & purchasing tickets to your shows?

Or is all the love & encouragement he needs, he getting from weed & henny?

I mean, this relationship is sort've akin to a male pursuing a female.

It's usually (or in my case) the female that'll draw the line and dictate if i can cross the line, or inform me if i'm not permitted to come any further.

Love & encouragement should be reciprocated, that's all i'm saying.

We can get back to discussing CJ, lol!

rainbowchild
Charter member
1286 posts
Fri Sep-19-08 10:50 AM

10. "RE: D'Angelo won't change the tide again either, imho"
In response to Reply # 7

>Yeah but seriously, if D comes out with some heat, how many
>people are gonna be like "this fool is fragile".
>
>When it comes to music, if your shits hot its hot. This is
>America. People will forgive someone for anything.
>
>People can always bounce back. Lets not assume he isn't gonna
>do any thing good b4 hearing his stuff. Dude just needs
>encouragement and love.

Right.

http://bellejenkins.uber.com/blogs/Episode_16__DAngelo_Looks_A_Fuckin_Mess.html

The Big ED
393 posts
Fri Sep-19-08 03:15 PM

11. "RE: D'Angelo won't change the tide again either, imho"
In response to Reply # 10

Listen I know you have been on here and encouraged the guy a lot. I never said you didn't

When it comes in regards to him coming on here and responding, he doesn't have too.

I know we all would love for him to come on here and gives an update or shout out himself but he doesn't have too. That's his right and I don't blame him. As harsh as some fools on this site are with artists, you know people would come up here and tear d's ass up too. I don't think he wants to hear that. D to me sounds like someone who is more hurt by negativity then encouraged by positivity.

rainbowchild
Charter member
1286 posts
Fri Sep-19-08 03:42 PM

12. "I don't blame him for staying away, but at times i do"
In response to Reply # 11

This place can get really negative & crabs in a barrellish.

When i personally open a thread, i have to stay on pins & needles on the subsequent 2 or 3 replies i get, because the negativtiy finds me, lol, yes i do understand.

Jrod Indigo
Member since Aug 01st 2003
126 posts
Fri Sep-19-08 05:23 PM

13. "RE: I don't blame him for staying away, but at times i do"
In response to Reply # 12

Give the brother a chance y'all...

He's had his ups and downs just like any other artist (or human being for that matter). He doesn't owe any of us a thing. He owes it to himself to be happy in life and on being the good, the bad, and the ugly; like most humans are. A lot of people wrote him off (especially of lot of females that fell in love with the video instead of the music. And as I've mentioned before, Marvin Gaye went through the same sh*t...only to pimp slap the sh*t outta the naysayers who wrote him off a few times. Artists are a bit more sensitive than the average and here on "Okayhater" - heads can be heartless. Erykah got her head bit off a few times and I commend that sista for toughing it out and turning the other cheek. Artists can't please everyone...it's impossible.

He's gonna be good and I'm looking forward to what he has to say on the next go 'round. Rainbowchild be holding it down for D, but again keep in mind that outside of the music that dude is way human. We often times confuse the music with the person and I too am guilty of that. Again, he doesn't owe us a thing. He only owes it to himself to be happy, healthy, and properous in life.

I can only imagine what some of these folks are gonna say about me when (God-willing) I drop... (LOL)

Just hope I have thick enough skin to endure...

Be good y'all

www.myspace.com/jrodindigo

Jrod Indigo

rainbowchild
Charter member
1286 posts
Fri Sep-19-08 08:38 PM

14. "I appreciate it JROD"
In response to Reply # 13

Treat people how you want to be treated, that's all, the golden rule.

I just can't understand, that out've 2 thinking people, 1 of them heifers didn't have it in their own personal constitution to want to season their words with a little salt. I mean, we all can't look like llcoolj can we?

But i guess if you feeding yourself a steady diet of Wendy Williams it's to be expected, no integrity.

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion topic #178943 Previous topic | Next topic