Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion topic #178830

Subject: "Apology to Talib on behalf of Toronto" Previous topic | Next topic
Jdubbya
Member since Nov 29th 2002
100 posts
Fri Sep-12-08 11:28 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Apology to Talib on behalf of Toronto"

Although I hope Talib himself reads this, I have a feeling he won't. If you are in any way connected with him please pass this message along.

I was at the show he just did at Downsview for the York University student union. It was one of the most shameful hip-hop experiences in my Toronto concert history. I have seen many shows before where the artist calls Toronto out on being dull and quiet, but this show could have easily gone down as exhibit 1A under the definition of the "Screwface".

All I ask of Talib is to understand three things of that concert:

1) It was free. This is a double-edged sword. On the one hand it encourages people who might not normally check out Talib to come and join in on the experience. On the other hand, it encourages these same people to come to the show, without caring to show any love for the artist. It was like half the crowd went by the name Debbie Downer.

2) It was only for York Students (although i am not one and went anyways with no problems). This meant that the crowd was mostly under 23. That would put most of them at 13-15 when Train of Thought came out. Talib even called out the crowd for not being old enough to know KRS when he played "Perfect Beat".

3)The Beer Garden was caged in and wasn't in the same room as the show. The venue was a film studio/warehouse of some sort and was not made for concerts. Everyone was pretty baked as well so the crowd was pretty much all burnt out.

Hopefully, talib or anyone else reading this will not be turned off by the T Dot. I love my city and it is very hard to shed a reputation as the screwface capital of North America, but shows like this definately don't help our cause.

Note to anyone from the Tdot: If you had to jump through all the red tape involved in performing in Canada would you make all that efort if you knew that the fans sucked and there was no energy at the show you were considering. I know I wouldn't, which is why I completely understand why artists avoid crossing the border on a tour.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Apology to Talib on behalf of Toronto
Sep 12th 2008
wouldnt you feel sorta weird wearing that shirt...
Sep 18th 2008
Damn son!
Sep 12th 2008
RE: Damn son!
Sep 17th 2008
RE: Apology to Talib on behalf of Toronto
Sep 18th 2008
Get over it...
Sep 19th 2008

Jdubbya
100 posts
Fri Sep-12-08 11:34 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Apology to Talib on behalf of Toronto"
In response to Reply # 0

Also, does anyone know where to get that sick BK MC shirt Talib was wearing????

HIM
Member since May 20th 2002
1733 posts
Thu Sep-18-08 01:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "wouldnt you feel sorta weird wearing that shirt..."
In response to Reply # 1

being that you are from(im assuming) Toronto...?

maybe you could rock a TDoTMc joint though...

u should make one of those

>Also, does anyone know where to get that sick BK MC shirt
>Talib was wearing????

peace
HIM
www.PlazaMelodic.com
"Lo-Fi Holiday" Now Available!!
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/lo-fi-holiday/id985794237
https://plazamelodic.bandcamp.com/album/lo-fi-holiday
http://soundcloud.com/beatroom88

soulsupreme
Member since Dec 14th 2004
8536 posts
Fri Sep-12-08 12:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Damn son!"
In response to Reply # 0

I would've loved to see Kweli again, but that sounds like a really bad bad show. I was concerned with the location honestly, but thought it would go over well.

Talib has been here a bunch of times...thats sucks man

http://www.last.fm/user/soulsupreme

Jdubbya
100 posts
Wed Sep-17-08 10:48 AM

3. "RE: Damn son!"
In response to Reply # 2

Tell me about it.

NotThinkSo
Member since Aug 28th 2008
59 posts
Thu Sep-18-08 08:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "RE: Apology to Talib on behalf of Toronto"
In response to Reply # 0

Damn, that's wack. I will say that I've seen Kweli at least three times, and the last time I saw him was two years ago here in San Diego at the House of Blues and I was a little dissapointed with his performance.

I've been down with Kweli since Blackstar and Eternal Reflection, but at the HOB his voice sounded raspy as fuck and the entire performance just very rushed. If it wasn't for Black Sheep making an appearance I would have been more pissed.

Mos always gets down with his live performances, same with Common, the Roots, Tribe, De La, etc. Talib just seems to spit faster and loose his voice quicker.

Anyone else notice this?

I still love Kweli but I think I'll stick to his studio work for now.

BarTek
Member since Nov 10th 2002
51250 posts
Fri Sep-19-08 10:25 AM

6. "Get over it..."
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion topic #178830 Previous topic | Next topic