Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion topic #178582

Subject: "Raphael Saadiq's New Video: WTF & WTH?" Previous topic | Next topic
Real Black Gyrl
Member since Feb 17th 2004
28 posts
Mon Sep-01-08 08:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Raphael Saadiq's New Video: WTF & WTH?"

So, I just saw Saadiq's new video for "Love that Girl" and WTF & WTH is really good with his choice of female subjects?

I read his OKP interview and frankly, HE'S AN HYPOCRITE. How dare you speak about urban radio responsibility and suggest what is authentically Black music when you can't even support and project Blackness.

I FEEL LIKE F SAADIQ RIGHT NOW. WHY IS IT THAT THE HYBRID OR WHITE FEMALE AESTHETIC ARE THE CENTER PIECES FOR MANY BLACK MALE VIDEOS? WHAT IS THIS SUGGESTING? THERE WAS ONLY ONE BLACK WOMAN IN THE ENTIRE VIDEO AND SHE WAS A MERE PROP TO THE OTHER NON-BLACK FEMALE LEADS IN THE VIDEO. It really doesn’t matter if these women were his proteges or artists, its about balance. I thought someone like Saadiq would be conscious of this.

And let's not even give the excuse that he's not in charge of casting. I'm sorry, Saadiq is at a level in his career where he can make power moves and demand an equal balance of women in his video. I mean, what a far cry from 2002's "Be Here" video, when the female lead was a realistic portrayal of a Black woman and damn sexy and beautiful. What happened between 2002 and 2008?

He wants to sing culturally-Black music, dress culturally Black with the Malcolm specs and guess what, his entire fan-base is and has been BLACK and this is how he represents for us? This is the visual that he gives to a genealogy of Black music that he chooses to riff on for this album? HE SUCKS! And this isn't about interracial relationships. Its about responsibility as an artist and a so-called activist and giving a damn about the lack of balance and decent exposure of Black females.

I'm tired of artists demanding Black support when they opt not to cater to us. I'm tired of artists (of all races) pimping the Black music and Black 60's music aesthetic and opt not to be socially responsible to and for the Black community. Because what they don't realize is that the most powerful Black 60's music was accompanied by activism and struggle. Namely folks like: Simone and Gaye among others.

And for all of us who took an issue with this video, WE SHOULD NOT SUPPORT HIS MUSIC, HIS FREE CONCERT OR ANY OF HIS FUTURE PROJECTS.

BIG-UPS TO ARTISTS LIKE: Anthony Hamilton, Jaheim and Musiq, (sometimes), Martin Luther among other Black male singers for placing REAL BLACK WOMEN AND OFTEN TIMES, DARK SKIN BLACK WOMEN IN THEIR VIDEOS. I WILL ALWAYS SUPPORT THESE ARTISTS.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
bo! bo! bo!
Sep 02nd 2008
RE: Raphael Saadiq's New Video: WTF & WTH?
Sep 02nd 2008
and we should burn down any store that sells his music
Sep 02nd 2008
if youre gonna complain about raphael, complain about the other 90%
Sep 02nd 2008
it aint like this is his usual steelo doe
Sep 02nd 2008
RE: Raphael Saadiq's New Video: WTF & WTH?
Sep 03rd 2008

qoolquest
Charter member
10251 posts
Tue Sep-02-08 12:57 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "bo! bo! bo!"
In response to Reply # 0

check the resume

organix-93
(from the ground up)-94
do you want more?!!???!-95
illadelph halflife-96
things fall apart-99
(the legendary)-99
the roots come alive-99
phrenology-2002
the tipping point-2004
(the roots present...) 2004
homegrown: the beginne

choui_choui
Member since Aug 12th 2002
931 posts
Tue Sep-02-08 03:21 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: Raphael Saadiq's New Video: WTF & WTH?"
In response to Reply # 0

Preeeeeeaaach!
It was quite bizarre to watch that video. And I'm a huge fan of Saadiq, but that vid had him lookin mad color-struck.

Bad witch

justin_scott
Charter member
19862 posts
Tue Sep-02-08 05:28 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "and we should burn down any store that sells his music"
In response to Reply # 0

Natural Mystic
Charter member

4. "if youre gonna complain about raphael, complain about the other 90%"
In response to Reply # 0

of black musicians that do the same thing.

just sayin.

rdhull
Charter member
33109 posts
Tue Sep-02-08 11:37 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "it aint like this is his usual steelo doe"
In response to Reply # 0

calm the funk down

one white girl and you flippin out lol

moonsatellite
Charter member
1645 posts
Wed Sep-03-08 03:52 AM

6. "RE: Raphael Saadiq's New Video: WTF & WTH?"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Sep-03-08 03:53 AM by moonsatellite

he's dating Joss Stone. So that's his bent i guess... yeah, Black girls aren't cool in the media. That's one of the reasons I'm throwing my tv out tonight, no gas.

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion topic #178582 Previous topic | Next topic