Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Make The Music R.I.P. J DILLA (1974 - 2006) topic #3966

Subject: "Dilla's Lab...." First topic | Next topic
Stro
Member since Oct 25th 2003
86 posts
Tue May-09-06 10:35 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Dilla's Lab...."

First off, let me say I'm kinda new to the boards so thank you for lettin me be a part of your world. I'd like to thank everyone who's ever said anything about my crew (The Procussions) or myself. 'preciate it much. And with that, I saw this today and wondered if anyone's seen this before. If so, sorry for being the slow cat, and does anyone know where to see the rest.The only gripe is dilla says maybe six words.....no disrespect to Frank n Dank but, If I'm jay dee's lab, I'm takin notes, (or stealin ideas....same thing right?!?). But it's ill to see where he worked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OxH8riGZl8

"...Accidentally beatin you like gorillas playin..." -Busta T. Rhymes

mystro899@gmail.com
www.myspace.com/strothe89thkey

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
dog, i downloaded this video off the frank n dank site.
May 09th 2006
RE: dog, i downloaded this video off the frank n dank site.
May 10th 2006
Lynk pleez??
May 11th 2006
RE: Dilla's Lab....
May 10th 2006
also, to see how focused dude *was when he was in the lab.....
May 11th 2006
MT
May 13th 2006
not sure, but
May 15th 2006
May 14th 2006
Fam, thanks for sharing this...
May 17th 2006

Aeon
Charter member
43870 posts
Tue May-09-06 10:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "dog, i downloaded this video off the frank n dank site."
In response to Reply # 0

i wish i had a video ipod so i could walk around with this shit.

i would have paid money to chill in the studio will dilla. hell, i would have even smoked with em, and lord knows i dont smoke.

that's a great vid, i watch it almost every night.

www.myspace.com/vastmixed

_

shakin your block with a 6 million dollar bop

_

www.davidevanmcdowell.com

DaKidFromHaiti
Member since Feb 19th 2006
1211 posts
Wed May-10-06 11:14 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "RE: dog, i downloaded this video off the frank n dank site."
In response to Reply # 1

>i wish i had a video ipod so i could walk around with this
>shit.
>
>i would have paid money to chill in the studio will dilla.
>hell, i would have even smoked with em, and lord knows i dont
>smoke.
>
>that's a great vid, i watch it almost every night.
>
>www.myspace.com/vastmixed

How did you download it from the site? Can you hook me up with a link I want to put it on my video iPod.

sher-mighty
Member since Apr 19th 2005
1564 posts
Thu May-11-06 03:50 AM

4. "Lynk pleez??"
In response to Reply # 1

trane_soulfanatix
Charter member
50 posts
Wed May-10-06 04:20 AM

2. "RE: Dilla's Lab...."
In response to Reply # 0

yupp, i agree.

His drumroom is cool.. "and it's filled with f--kin records". hehe

http://www.myspace.com/traneofsoulfanatix

liveguy
Member since Jan 01st 2004
8002 posts
Thu May-11-06 06:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "also, to see how focused dude *was when he was in the lab....."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu May-11-06 07:03 PM by liveguy

...dude had all this stuff goin on around him and he's just minding his own business, bangin out another one.

Man, immo miss that cat!

p.s.

SON, you be makin some straight heaters! Keep it up, B.

We see through all that boo boo like it's ghost shit... (c) Quelle Chris

| http://liveguy.bandcamp.com |
| www.soundcloud.com/liveguy |
| www.twitter.com/liveguy |
| www.instagram.com/theREALliveguy |
| XBOX ONE GT: theREALliveguy |

MT

Sat May-13-06 07:42 PM

6. "RE: Dilla's Lab...."
In response to Reply # 0

Why did Dilla look so different in that video, and the McNasty Filth video? His face was kinda puffy. Most pictures i see his face is a lot more slim. Was it the sickness?

StillWaters
Charter member
4846 posts
Mon May-15-06 01:15 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "not sure, but"
In response to Reply # 6

it may have been the med's, they do that!

Honor the Iris's in your life!

RIP James "Jay Dee" Yancey

religion is the aspiration of man toward an idealized existence, in which the functions of god and man are harmonious, even identical. (c)amiri baraka

jdet313
Member since Mar 21st 2006
11 posts
Sun May-14-06 02:03 PM

7. "RE: Dilla's Lab...."
In response to Reply # 0

Yo, this was the spot right here! PayJay Studios (though i always joked with Jay that it should be called Electric Jaydee Land), just around the corner from where i stay at the moment. I remember seeing that studio being built, slowly but surely, from a plain ass basement to the illest studio i've ever set foot in. The only thing missing was the hot tub we joked about him having down there (that's some shit you aint seen on Cribs yet- hot tub in the studio bitches!). The pro-tools board was insane! I remember when that shit first got hooked up after Jay was fuckin' with it, he set that shit on autopilot or some shit and all the lights were flashing, faders were moving, shit was crazy, Jay was so amused with that. I miss it all. Layed my first beat in there. Smoked a whole lot of trees in there. I remember one night in there with just Dilla and me. It was a litte while after he first got sick (we didn't even know what it was exactly that was wrong), he was on some medication at the time and it made him tired alot. We had been in the studio for a while listening to records and Jay fuckin' with some beats. After a while, he seemed a bit worn out and asked me what i had been up to music wise. I rarely played him beats of mine, cause damn it was like soloing in front of Coltrane or something- abit intimidating even though we were friends. I pulled out a cd a played hima couple tracks. Jay got geeked, kind of perked up and said they were dope. One track in particular, he bugged and said "those drums are fuckin' bananas!" Man i couldn't contain myself. Here was the muthafuckin' King of Drums tellin' me my drums were tight! I'll never forget that. Even though i know i was just a blip on the radar, Jay showed love and supported everybody. He was by far one of the best people i've known in my life, just on a personal level, aside from anything to do with music. But on top of that, he was a fuckin' genius that would get embarassed when you told him so! As far as in the studio he was all about work. If he was in there, he was grindin', lookin' for samples, fuckin' with beats, whatever, he was about work. The crib wasn't even really furnished that much, but my man had a million-dollar studio in the basement- that's all that mattered to him! I'm glad everyone gets a chance to see this shit, since i was disappointed that "Behind the Beat" book only had the tiny LA spot in it. Now y'all can see that PayJay was killin' every studio in that bitch! I always wondered if the folks that lived in this quiet, little suburban white neighborhood had any idea of the crazy, quiet, humble genius they had in their hood- the magic that was being produced from the unassuming spot on the corner. Damn.

Cheo
Member since Oct 03rd 2003
1714 posts
Wed May-17-06 06:04 PM

9. "Fam, thanks for sharing this..."
In response to Reply # 7

You got Dilla's blessing, let your light shine.

:::::

Lobby Make The Music R.I.P. J DILLA (1974 - 2006) topic #3966First topic | Next topic