Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Make The Music R.I.P. J DILLA (1974 - 2006) topic #3314

Subject: "Major Media Outlets Doing DILLA Tributes/Coverage" Previous topic | Next topic
apex
Member since Aug 19th 2002
702 posts
Tue Feb-14-06 12:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Major Media Outlets Doing DILLA Tributes/Coverage"

okay, so when i cam into work this morning i saw that Yahoo News ran a story on Dilla, which is huge in terms of coverage. Also, i was reading another thread where someone said 95.5 (I live in DC, for those that don't know... 95.5 is like our Hot 97) was doing Dilla tribute mixes, etc...

now, am I the only one that sees this with mixed reactions?

on one hand, I am truly surprised and happy that he is getting coverage and his story is being brought to a broader audience...

on the other hand, FUCK that shit man... these niggas ain't gave 2 shits about him when he was alive, and now that he's passed they on some "he was the greatest..." blah blah blah... i feel disrespected that artists like Dilla (and MANY others) have worked hard for over a decade and putting out CLASSIC shit, and no one even tried to check for him or give him that major exposure. Major media was shitting on the Common albums and would only play The Light and Come Close, etc.... they never gave Slum Village any REAL exposure... Scracth Magazine, who everybody considers the pinnacle producer's mag has yet to run a story on this dude at all... and watch them do some tribute and claim him to be this innovator, etc. my question is, why does dude have to die to get some coverage?

niggas is funny man for real...

in a fuckin twisted mindset, i guess i just feel like the fam and fans who supported him when he was alive have the right to come out with luv... do you think he would have ran himself into the ground if he was getting major media support, allowing slum,tribe,common, etc to go plat in the late 90's/early 00's? maybe if he didn't have to put out a million projects just to feed himself, he wouldn't have ran his body down like that... not to say the media is responsible, but if the media supports you and helps get you exposure to reach mass audiences, is it safe to say you'll eat better and be in a financial position to take breaks, time off, etc... like Dave Chappelle?

anybody feel me on this?

www.myspace.com/apexbeats

Apex - (ex)heritance: a prequel - featuring all Apex production

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I feel you man
Feb 14th 2006
is it really hate?
Feb 14th 2006
RE: Major Media Outlets Doing DILLA Tributes/Coverage
Feb 14th 2006
can everyone list examples of this in their area, please?
Feb 23rd 2006
i feel you entirely, but mass media does that ALL the time
Feb 23rd 2006
R.I.P. Nina Simone
Feb 23rd 2006
RE: Major Media Outlets Doing DILLA Tributes/Coverage
Feb 23rd 2006

dj_variable
Member since Aug 24th 2003
2039 posts
Tue Feb-14-06 12:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I feel you man"
In response to Reply # 0

Im torn to but like a jedi, you should rid yourself of hate. Its all to the good. More people will know of his legacy.

Blasphemy New 2016 Mix>>>> https://soundcloud.com/djvariable/blasphemy

apex
Member since Aug 19th 2002
702 posts
Tue Feb-14-06 12:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "is it really hate?"
In response to Reply # 1

damn... i never considered myself a hater...

usually the most non-opinionated dude you'll find, but this just bothers me...

www.myspace.com/apexbeats

Apex - (ex)heritance: a prequel - featuring all Apex production

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Tue Feb-14-06 12:27 PM

2. "RE: Major Media Outlets Doing DILLA Tributes/Coverage"
In response to Reply # 0

> Also, i was reading another thread where someone said 95.5 (I
>live in DC, for those that don't know... 95.5 is like our Hot
>97) was doing Dilla tribute mixes, etc...

does anyone know what they played besides "the light" (obvious one to guess)?

>now, am I the only one that sees this with mixed reactions?

sort of. i know what you mean. it's nothing really new though. commercial radio and MTV/BET are a joke.

spirit
Charter member
21442 posts
Thu Feb-23-06 12:17 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "can everyone list examples of this in their area, please?"
In response to Reply # 2

thanks.

spirit
Charter member
21442 posts
Thu Feb-23-06 12:17 AM

4. "i feel you entirely, but mass media does that ALL the time"
In response to Reply # 0

always on some recognize a genius when s/he's dead shit.

it's crazily retarded...but...i don't know, i just think they don't know. when i hear a couple of joints from an artist i respect in a row on the radio, i hit up google to see if that artist just passed, that's how often this happens...

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Thu Feb-23-06 09:14 AM

7. "R.I.P. Nina Simone"
In response to Reply # 4

i'm rick james, bitch!

psizzle
Member since Dec 29th 2003
11 posts
Thu Feb-23-06 02:58 AM

6. "RE: Major Media Outlets Doing DILLA Tributes/Coverage"
In response to Reply # 0

i couldn't agree with you more.

it's still better that there's some attention now than never, because maybe, just maybe, it could positively financially affect the projects that come from his affiliates and contemporaries who all have yet to receive any real major exposure and monetary success, not to mention that his own material would sell more and hopefully result in some coin ending up with his family.

it sucks to think that the media can yet again choose to create a martyr instead of supporting truly good art before it becomes posthumous...

...as cheated as he may be by all this, there is still potential for a positive effect, and that's something worth holding onto.

love.

-p

Oddities - "Scenic Route" lp out now on BattleAxe Records!!

Lobby Make The Music R.I.P. J DILLA (1974 - 2006) topic #3314 Previous topic | Next topic