Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Make The Music R.I.P. J DILLA (1974 - 2006) topic #1155

Subject: "Baatin speaks on Dilla and what he's been up to..." Previous topic | Next topic
KnowNaim_X
Member since May 14th 2005
2533 posts
Sat Apr-01-06 10:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Baatin speaks on Dilla and what he's been up to..."

http://www.thahiphop.com/en/content/view/419/122/

Baatin: The Lost (but not forgotten) Slumlord
Written by James Smith
Saturday, 01 April 2006

Many people remember Baatin as being the eccentric, turban-head wrapped emcee with the unique voice and style of clothing from the Detroit group, Slum Village. After Trinity (Past, Present, and Future), the Detroit native experienced intense touring and promotion for the group which produced a plethora of stress, eventually having him falling victim to food poisoning and mental illness. However, despite the hardships that he has faced, Baatin is determined to let the world know that he isn't giving up without a fight.

What have you been up to these last couple of years?
Chilling, man. It's been crazy. I got food poisoning and I've been diagnosed as bi-polar. I was in a coma for awhile and when I came to I found out that I was broke. I never earned any money off record sales. It was touring that paid the bills and the rent. We had a group manager that didn't handle things correctly. I rejuvenated though, you know. Chilled with my mother, got a personal lawyer, and got myself back together.

Speaking of the group, what exactly is your relationship with Slum Village? It almost looks as if they weren't around...
Nah, man. They had to keep the name going. One monkey don't stop the show, we had to keep working. Elzhi definitely supported me through this whole thing. T3 too.

So are there any plans of reuniting?
Yeah. When we started Slum Village it wasn't about record sales or anything like that. We created the music for us. So I will always be apart of that. It may take time. They're busy promoting themselves and touring but we're definitely talking right now. We've been talking about doing an album for Jay Dee. You know, to keep his legacy alive.

Speaking of Jay Dee, I know this is difficult but when did you hear the news and how did it effect you?
*Sighs* Aw, man. I can't really explain it. I was at church when someone told me. Dude recognized me in church and told me what happened. It still hurts and I am still in mourning.

What was it like working with him?
He was a mastermind. A genius, man. He was a scientist with beats AND lyrics. He had his own sound and that sound is what Detroit music is all about. It definitely spread and went all over the place. He was a good person and was fun to hang around with.

Are there any moments that you had with him that stick out?
Yeah I got two. I was on a lot of spiritual shit and I'd have all kinds of dreams and I would see things. It'd be easy to tell him about it. This one time we were chilling in the car and this song comes on. It went (sings) "Keep rising..." I think it was Minnie Ripperton or something but it brought us to tears. At that time we were struggling to get our name out and when we heard that it was like, we really want to be apart of this hip-hop shit. The song was talking to us.
Another one was that he told me that he had an out of body experience. He said his spirit went to another place and God had already had everything prepared for him. A couple of years later the same thing happened to me. It's hard to explain but it's amazing...

You were always considered as being the spiritual one out of the group. Exactly what is your spiritual background?
First of all, I was raised in a Christian background but at 22 I started to explore. I got into Buddhism, Yoga, the Kabbalah...things like that. I go to church and believe in the Creator, the spirit but I'm not religious.

Can you explain the name Rasul Wasi?
Rasul means messenger and Wasi means omnipotent. It was given to me during the little journey I was taking.

So far Fantastic Vol. 2 is the most acclaimed album from Slum Village. What was it like during that time?
Man, it was the greatest time of my life. It was on some feel good vibe, you know?

What were your favorite songs on the album?
Untitled, the vibe was crazy on that one. And Go Ladies.

The album had quite a few top notch artists. Which was your favorite to work with?
D'Angelo was real. We vibed pretty well. Matter of fact, all the guests were tight.

I understand you have an album coming out.
Yeah. The album will be out during the second week of May. It's called Titus, Chapter 10 Verse 13. Titus is one of the shortest chapters in the Bible and it's also my real name. It's on some underground hip-hop vibe. It means a lot because it's my first album that launches my solo career. It was different doing it because I was so used to writing just one verse. Even on Fantastic Vol. 1 it was on some Bob Marley shit where you would go in and out. It's on Motin Records.

Do you have any favorite songs on the album?
Yeah. Girl, which is going to be my first single. Also Majesty and Hawa.

Are there any other projects that you're working on?
I'm already working on my 2nd album. It's called Eclectic. It's really chill and a lot more polished.

Is there anyone you'd like to work with that you haven't yet?
I'd like to work with Common again. Pharrell has that Virginia sound and I like Will I Am.

What major misconceptions do most people have about you?
That I'm crazy but being an artist, people are always going to view you in a different light. I like the simple life. Just chilling, you know?

What are your top 5 favorite albums?
I listen to Stereolab, Pete Rock and CL Smooth, Kool G Rap and DJ Polo, Daddy IU, and Too Short. I can't say that I have a top five like that. It's just that those are what I mostly listen to these days.

Do you have any advice for anyone who is trying to get into the record industry?
Visualize what you want. Get with folks who support you and let the vision manifest. If you really want something to happen it will happen.

For more information on Baatin, check out http://www.myspace.com/baatin

"When I'm on the mic, a nigga throw down his blunt just to hear what we say...up in this bitch..."-Baatin

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Wow, thanks...
Apr 03rd 2006
this part got me thinking.
Apr 03rd 2006
that "girl" track is great!
mumu
Apr 05th 2006
those tracks on his myspace are b-b-bangin
Apr 06th 2006
Baatin gets props from me for being a Grand daddy IU fan....
Apr 09th 2006

Afrolingo
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
271 posts
Mon Apr-03-06 05:47 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Wow, thanks..."
In response to Reply # 0

Baatin's back.
Good to hear from the brother.
Those preview snippets on rensoul.com are some promising material I wouldn't wanna miss.
Dude's blessed with his voice. Such an important quality to the SV sound.
I wish he keeps it up and going.
One love...

Majik43
Member since Mar 17th 2005
6189 posts
Mon Apr-03-06 07:34 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. " this part got me thinking."
In response to Reply # 0

>Another one was that he told me that he had an out of body
>experience. He said his spirit went to another place and God
>had already had everything prepared for him.

"Exploited by many, understood by few" - J-Live

mumu

Wed Apr-05-06 09:28 PM

3. "that "girl" track is great!"
In response to Reply # 0

i visit his myspace just to lisen to that track.

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Thu Apr-06-06 09:02 PM

4. "those tracks on his myspace are b-b-bangin"
In response to Reply # 0

V.

---
http://confessionsofacurlymind.com
https://soundcloud.com/confessionsofacurlymindredux
https://soundcloud.com/generic80sbadguy
https://soundcloud.com/miles_matheson

DROkayplayerâ„¢

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57014 posts
Sun Apr-09-06 12:14 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "Baatin gets props from me for being a Grand daddy IU fan...."
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby Make The Music R.I.P. J DILLA (1974 - 2006) topic #1155 Previous topic | Next topic