Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Make The Music topic #8608

Subject: "Producers: Stop Bragging That You Don't Sample...." Previous topic | Next topic
silkyhyde
Member since Mar 03rd 2004
679 posts
Sun Jun-18-06 12:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Producers: Stop Bragging That You Don't Sample...."

...especially if your "compositions" are wack.

You're not doing anything special by not sampling...it ultimately proves nothing. Most of the time you're producing synthy-sounding candy-assed keyboard beats with none of the grit, grime, swing or soul that is inherent in sample-based hip-hop. Gee that's impressive!

What is up with this anti-sampling bias? Sampling goes to the roots of hip-hop...it comes from DJs and crate digging...the essence of the culture. All you so-called producers who brag about not sampling are turning your back on the history of your artform. Not a good look.

And even if you don't sample, please make sure you can actually PLAY keys, so your stuff doesn't sound like Swizz Beats smoking Fisher-Price laced-crack.

That is all...

Peace,
Salim

https://soundcloud.com/salimsivaad/lets-get-free <-- my best work

http://www.soundcloud.com/salimsivaad <-- some other joints

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I assume they think their compostions...
Jun 18th 2006
if you're referring to people on this board...i don't think anyone is...
Jun 18th 2006
I don't think this is directed at anybody on this board...
Jun 18th 2006
RE: I don't think this is directed at anybody on this board...
Jun 18th 2006
      See..I don't give a fugg how "easy" looping up a break is...
Jun 18th 2006
I think I did say I didn't like it and why....
Jun 18th 2006
      i totally get where you're coming from.....
Jun 18th 2006
           mos def...do you by all means!
Jun 18th 2006
wait, who gives a damn bout who sayin what anyways?
Jun 18th 2006
RE: wait, who gives a damn bout who sayin what anyways?
Jun 18th 2006
I gives a damn, cuz they dissing the culture...
Jun 18th 2006
      LOL @ puttin a black eye on hip hop
Jun 18th 2006
           LOL! reading is fundamental, fam!
Jun 19th 2006
                wrong again.
Jun 19th 2006
                     YOU made me the authority...
Jun 19th 2006
                          lol i aint make you shit fam.
Jun 19th 2006
                               ^^^^^^Thinks that Fisher-Price laced-crack beats are dope!
Jun 19th 2006
                                    ^^Mad cus his keyboard beats are horrible.
Jun 19th 2006
                                    I will SON you on a keyboard beat, doggie...
Jun 19th 2006
                                         I dont give a fuck if you Liberachi fam lol
Jun 19th 2006
                                              ^^^^^Challenge Dodged^^^^^^
Jun 19th 2006
                                                   what challenge keyboard beats? LOL meet me in the Middle.
Jun 19th 2006
                                                        ^^^^^Check this Muhfuggah coppin pleas LOL!^^^^^^
Jun 19th 2006
                                                             bitch WHEN did I say I would some you on KEYBOARD BEATS?
Jun 19th 2006
                                                             Good! Then it's a BATTLE...
Jun 19th 2006
                                                                  Post up NOW. the fuck you waitin for
Jun 20th 2006
                                                                       LOL. y'all are brilliant.
Jun 20th 2006
                                                             ahahah
Aug 15th 2007
                                    LMAO UPON further review...
Jun 19th 2006
RE: Producers: Stop Bragging That You Don't Sample....
Jun 18th 2006
Rich Harrison and his bank account are laughing at you...
Jun 19th 2006
      these beats you mention have samples
Aug 29th 2007
           Reading Comprehension Lost.....
Aug 29th 2007
                bwahahaha!
Aug 29th 2007
i do both.. and i never diss sampled hip hop..
Jun 18th 2006
That's all peace, Bar-Tek!
Jun 18th 2006
      nobody should get a pass PERIOD.
Jun 18th 2006
      Hell no! 808's are HOT!!!!
Jun 18th 2006
      808's are VERY hot...
Jun 19th 2006
      Whats your argument against dude?
Jun 21st 2006
      I feel you...
Jun 19th 2006
           tek, all due respect, and not on some petty nonsense either...
Jun 19th 2006
           where your beats?
Jun 19th 2006
           I feel you...Bar Tek
Jun 20th 2006
                ^^^ someone who knows what they are talking about!
Jun 20th 2006
                thanks for that...
Jun 20th 2006
Its an ego/perception thing to me.
Jun 19th 2006
who is bragging? most of the composers i know arent bragging
Jun 19th 2006
i do both. versatility is one thing i love to brag about.
Jun 19th 2006
Jun 19th 2006
the key word is board (c) Von Peazzy
Jun 19th 2006
You shouldnt be braggin if you do either one
Jun 19th 2006
People act like you can't compose with samples
Jun 19th 2006
I know, right? (n/m)
Jun 19th 2006
one, there is a major difference between the two
Jun 20th 2006
      They can be, but not necessarily
Jun 20th 2006
i'm actually somewhat suprised at the bit of hostility from silk...
Jun 20th 2006
LOL! No hostility here, Truth!
Jun 20th 2006
      You dont, that shit is terry cloth lol
Jun 20th 2006
Oh, and let it be known, yalls boy silky...
Jun 20th 2006
the only reason to avoid sampling
Jun 20th 2006
I'm 6'1, punk...
Jun 20th 2006
Do you really want me on samples + keys?
Jun 20th 2006
      I got 2 finger melodies that shit on your myspace page lullabyes lol
Jun 20th 2006
i just want to see this silk-zaire battle
Jun 20th 2006
I mean, what you expect from a cat named 'Sylky Hyde'
Jun 20th 2006
      lol
Jun 20th 2006
this entire post reeks irony
Jun 20th 2006
creative sampling is far more interesting than playing a keyboard...
Jun 20th 2006
gotta respectfully disagree for one reason
Jun 20th 2006
      I'M DYING!!
Jun 21st 2006
           You think that's funny?
Jun 21st 2006
           Damn that was gay
Aug 16th 2007
                Yeah I know...when a dick goes in a pussy...THAT'S GAY!!!
Aug 16th 2007
                     Only when that pussy is a metaphor for a man
Aug 26th 2007
           by the way tone, I dig that synthy shit you did on some of your beats fa...
Jun 21st 2006
Jun 24th 2006
This post really turned into something funny.
Jun 25th 2006
Jun 29th 2006
You guys are stupid.
Jun 30th 2006
^ cuz this was a comedic read
Aug 14th 2007
*bows*
Aug 14th 2007
this was pretty gr8...
Aug 16th 2007
So untrue...
Aug 16th 2007
Yeah this is true....
Aug 16th 2007
RE: Yeah this is true....
Aug 16th 2007
"Planet Rock" was a sample...Kraftwerk I think.
Aug 16th 2007
Don't be obtuse...
Aug 16th 2007
Uhh.........Rapper's Delight?
Aug 17th 2007
With me, everything's an instrument.
Aug 18th 2007
Please post this on Soundclick
Aug 18th 2007
For discussion's sake....
Aug 26th 2007
hey
Aug 27th 2007
Aug 29th 2007
on the outside looking in....
Aug 29th 2007

Mixmaster Oil Can Harry
Member since May 26th 2005
690 posts
Sun Jun-18-06 12:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I assume they think their compostions..."
In response to Reply # 0

Are banging?? Or else thay wouldn't brag!

Seven
Member since Dec 11th 2004
10708 posts
Sun Jun-18-06 12:57 PM

2. "if you're referring to people on this board...i don't think anyone is..."
In response to Reply # 0

..."bragging"....
cats are just stepping outside the box and looking for feedback...

If u like it cool...if u don't....say so and say why...

Small Pro
Member since Apr 06th 2006
12593 posts
Sun Jun-18-06 01:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "I don't think this is directed at anybody on this board..."
In response to Reply # 2

...but I definitely have noticed an anti-sample biased community growing on the internet; in their minds, sampling is lazy and takes no talent, while Scott Storch is the illest doin it right now. But to be fair, when they say things to this nature, they don't really start off disrespecting cats like Premier and Pete Rock (altho that's what it eventually turns into), but rather downing the millions of cats on soundclick who take a Aretha Franklin sample, speed it up, and add drums; in other words, the Heatmakerz of the game are who they really have a problem with. This mindset also stems from not really understanding what GREAT sampling is or can be; in their minds, a wack original beat > a great sampled beat, because 'you're not stealing.'

But I agree tho...cats have no concept of hip-hop now.

--------------------------------------
https://smallprofessor.bandcamp.com

DaKidFromHaiti
Member since Feb 19th 2006
1211 posts
Sun Jun-18-06 05:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "RE: I don't think this is directed at anybody on this board..."
In response to Reply # 3

That's real talk, Hip Hop is based off sampling, and I don't see anything wrong with that. It's just that some producers give sampling a bad name, they just take one sample, speed it up and helium it up, add some drums to it and call it a beat, which is wack as hell. There is a Heatmakerz vid on youtube with one of them doing a beat, shit is so talentless it's disgusting, shit like that gives sampling a bad name.

silkyhyde
679 posts
Sun Jun-18-06 10:30 PM

10. "See..I don't give a fugg how "easy" looping up a break is..."
In response to Reply # 6

...does that ish bang? That's the only consideration for a real beatmaker. Does it make the poppers pop, and the breakers break? Does it make you get hype in the club, in the jeep, in the street? If so, loop that ish. Loop it and doen't do a single thing else with it, I really gives a damn.

This is hip-hop, not classical. The process doesn't matter with your audience: only the result. If you're making beats to impress other beatmakers, go ahead and spend 5 hours EQ'ing a snare, or avoiding hot samples just so you can say your stuff is sample-free; but if you are trying to move the crowd, or inspire an emcee to flow his ass off, or inspire a B-boy to bust the illest move he's ever done in his life...just get the job done.

Make it hip-hop by any means necessary...loop that jawn til the breakadawn!

Peace,
Salim

silkyhyde
679 posts
Sun Jun-18-06 01:41 PM

4. "I think I did say I didn't like it and why...."
In response to Reply # 2

...first off, because there's nothing to brag about. Because a guy's music is sample-free doesn't make it better. But folks advertising their music as being sample-free implies that THEY think that is some sort of badge of honor. It isn't.

Plus...the lack of sampling lends itself to a certain sound that is very "plastic" and inorganic sounding. There is a lack of soul in a lot of keyboard beats, particularly from cats who are sequencing tracks. I could see somebody mentioning that they are making beats by playing live drums, tracking acoustic piano, playing electric bass, etc. Basically, doing that Prince ish. But for cats to sit around sequencing a bunch of presets on a Korg Triton with the quantize on full blast, thinking they are doing something special just because they didn't lay in a sample...is laughable and beyond wack.

Plus the entire ish is a very anti-hip-hop attitude...sampling built this culture and it's aesthetics, and gave the world a new form of musical composition very akin to collage when done artfully. What make a cat think that throwing away all that hard-won knowledge by the masters of Hip-Hop makes his music inherently better? I just don't get it.

You've even got ppl thinking that their beats are more "creative" just because they don't contain a sample. WTF?

Peace,
Salim

Seven
Member since Dec 11th 2004
10708 posts
Sun Jun-18-06 02:37 PM

5. "i totally get where you're coming from....."
In response to Reply # 4

....i just thought u were directing this post to bartek's post about being on a non-sampling frenzy....
but you're right though...some people actually believe their shit will automatically sound better by not sampling...it may work for some but not for all(not without practice at least)...

personally i believe in sampling...i think there's nothing like it, but i think things get to a point when u have to push the envelope a bit....y'know prevent shit from getting stale....that's where i think live instumentation or adding synts/keys to your samples comes in...it builds on what's already been done.....
I think the Roots for example have done an excellent job at that....i think that's what kanye was trying to do with late registration...

but as always..u have kids that take shit out of contxt and hear kanye with strings on LR and go grab some cheezy legato string preset and put that over a drum pattern and bassline and call it 'groundbreaking'....

at the end of the day...just do u....and do it well...

silkyhyde
679 posts
Sun Jun-18-06 10:51 PM

11. "mos def...do you by all means!"
In response to Reply # 5

...but for these clowns to be holding up sample-free beats as the next movement is sad.

And the thread isn't a reaction to Bar-Tek, not totally anyway. Sure I saw his thread and it added to a series of observations I been making in the past couple of weeks. You've got this clown-ass muhfuggah Yadgyu, talking about dissing loops as lazy a couple of weeks ago. Then you had somebody cosign that madness. Then Al Sharp (the patron saint of all things Pete Marriott) posts P.Midi's blogs, where he's bragging all about being sample free, even going so far as to sample noise to achieve a sound like a sampled loop without it sounding like a sampled loop. I'm like, what? Just sample a break and chop it up and be done with it!

Why do ppl think if they take the long way around to a simple solution, that they are doing something special? Only an idiot tries to re-invent the wheel. Improve it by all means, but those that forget their past...you know the rest.

Peace,
Salim

zaire
Member since Aug 17th 2003
2533 posts
Sun Jun-18-06 06:03 PM

7. "wait, who gives a damn bout who sayin what anyways?"
In response to Reply # 0

if the beat is hot then its hot

even if its a 2 finger melody

why are cats bent on what people claim, other than what they can do?

as far as those heatmakerz comments, just looping up some old soul songs, a lot of classics where made that way, especially yalls so called 'beginnings of hip-hop'. PLUS the heatmakerz have made some decents joints also

Dr_Fresh
Member since Jan 30th 2006
2014 posts
Sun Jun-18-06 06:11 PM

8. "RE: wait, who gives a damn bout who sayin what anyways?"
In response to Reply # 7

Yeah, I can't stand those mofos, they have some kind of inferiority complex or something.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/antix818/

http://stuffography.tumblr.com/

silkyhyde
679 posts
Sun Jun-18-06 11:04 PM

13. "I gives a damn, cuz they dissing the culture..."
In response to Reply # 7
Sun Jun-18-06 11:05 PM by silkyhyde

...show some respect to this hip-hop ish...or get the hell out of Dodge. I ain't gonna let some no-talent hacks put a black eye on the game. Sampling is an art. Now you can sample like a muhfuggah opening his first box of crayolas, or like you're painting the Sistene Chapel...but it's still an artform. What you do with it is all on you.

But don't act like you're above anybody else who is sampling...particularly when your keyboard beats sound like a Casio demo program or some shit. If you don't wanna sample, don't. But by all means, keep the soul and program something with some human feel to it.

These cats are actually putting a kick on the one and a snare on the two and think that they are really doing something more hip-hop than looping a tasty-ass break.

GIMMIE A BREAK!!!!! (pun intended!)

Peace,
Salim

zaire
2533 posts
Sun Jun-18-06 11:21 PM

15. "LOL @ puttin a black eye on hip hop"
In response to Reply # 13

sounds like you got beef with folks makin good music without advanced skill. cats like you are whats wrong with hip hop, focusin on the technical stuff but not the stuff that matters; is it dope or not. so what if producer x can play all of stevie wonders chord progression at the drop of a dime...i know cats with classical training that couldn't make a banger if they life depended on it.

mufakkas said the same thing when jazz was first gettin down;

'thats not real music and all they do is play 3-4 chords and a lead, motzart is real music' fukk outta here...yall be sonnin yalseves lol

silkyhyde
679 posts
Mon Jun-19-06 01:33 AM

18. "LOL! reading is fundamental, fam!"
In response to Reply # 15

Actually I don't care about how much more "creative" and "skill" it takes to program a beat as opposed to loop up a break. All that matters is how the beat sounds in the end analysis. I take issue with ppl who think that the technique actually matters, as opposed to the ultimate flyness of the track.

Peace,
Salim

zaire
2533 posts
Mon Jun-19-06 02:14 AM

20. "wrong again."
In response to Reply # 18

your post is about people braggin about non-sampled beats and how its not payin respect to hip hop. who makes you the authority hip hop and and how dope shit is made? pick ya post game up fam

silkyhyde
679 posts
Mon Jun-19-06 02:42 AM

21. "YOU made me the authority..."
In response to Reply # 20

...when you brought your ass into MY post. If you didn't think what I was saying had any weight, why are you spending time trying to refute it? Your very presence here lends my argument credibilty.

I'd say my post game is on point, son. YOU'RE here ain't you?

I don't have a problem with mufuggahs not sampling, like I said before to 'ol boy: by all means DO YOU. If you don't want to sample, that's fine...don't. But don't try to skate some 'ol wack ass beats on the internet (Yadgyu, I'm talking to you), and claim that they are superior because you didn't sample nothing.

The lack of samples ain't gonna save you from your wackness...that's what I call putting a black eye on the game. The very notion that your sample-less beats are of higher craft than my sample-based beats is ANTI-HIP-HOP.

btw. I thought you should have won that beat-battle LOL!

Peace,
Salim

zaire
2533 posts
Mon Jun-19-06 02:53 AM

22. "lol i aint make you shit fam."
In response to Reply # 21

thus you are NOT an authority.

>> And even if you don't sample, please make sure you can actually PLAY keys, so your stuff doesn't sound like Swizz Beats smoking Fisher-Price laced-crack.

^^^right there is where you take your L. That right there is judging solely on technical shit rather than dopeness.

and Anti-Hip Hop?? LMAO fukk outta here with that, no such thing.

see the problem with you elitists is that yall like to lecture about *certain* parts of hip-hop history rather than the whole. Cheesy keyobard beats?? Hows about LL's 'I Need Love'? Not a lot very complicated to play and I'm a keyboard novice.

i really feel bad for yall elitists cause yall will enjoy very little music nowadays, especially when theres good music out there.

silkyhyde
679 posts
Mon Jun-19-06 05:54 PM

32. "^^^^^^Thinks that Fisher-Price laced-crack beats are dope!"
In response to Reply # 22

Did you read what I said, and just stop at the qualifier or what?

Dude, I took exception to ppl who can't play worth a damn, and sound like it, crowing how they are "artistic genuises" because they don't sample. That indicates I'm talking about wack-ass ppl, with wack-ass skills and wack-ass product...not somebody making a great song with a few notes.

For example:

Take two hit songs known for melodic simplicity: "Flava In Ya Ear" and "Laffy Taffy"

"Flava In Ya Ear"...2 note melody (interval of a major second) looped.

"Laffy Taffy"...3 note motif (2 repeated notes followed by a perfect fifth), that is repeated for 4 bars, then MODULATED down a major second for 4 bars, looped. The shit is practically JAZZ compared to "Flava"

Therefore, "Laffy Taffy" is melodically and harmonically more complex than "Flava In Ya Ear", all day every day.

Yet Laffy Taffy sucks bizzalls, and "Flava In Ya Ear" is one of the dopest beats ever created. Go Figure?

For the last time...I gives a damn how "complex" someone's composition is. The relative dopeness is ALL that counts.

It takes SKILL to come up with a simple melody that BANGS...I've got nuff respect for anybody who can do it. But playing some wack nursery-rhyme ish and puffing out your chest on some, "Look at me! No samples"-ish is NOT going to fly, son.

Peace,
Salim

zaire
2533 posts
Mon Jun-19-06 09:54 PM

33. "^^Mad cus his keyboard beats are horrible."
In response to Reply # 32

U Lost. and you post lost too

silkyhyde
679 posts
Mon Jun-19-06 11:01 PM

36. "I will SON you on a keyboard beat, doggie..."
In response to Reply # 33

...I AIN'T no "keyboard novice" LOL. I am a pianist, muhfuggah. I plays my ass off...in real bands, with real musicians.

Check the Soulz In Syzygy sig, I wrote every tune and played keys on all those tracks. Go ahead and front and make yourself look like an idiot.

Tell you what: Let's cut all the yappin and make it happen...throw up a keyboard beat and let's battle. We'll let the board decide who's got that heat, and who's talking a bunch of shit.

You ready for this L? I got what 'cha want.

Step up.

zaire
2533 posts
Mon Jun-19-06 11:04 PM

37. "I dont give a fuck if you Liberachi fam lol"
In response to Reply # 36

you will NEVER son me with those weak as beats...LOL do you even listen to your beats? them shits are straight pillow talk

keep on makin threads to make you feel good and get a job a piano bar, beats aint your stong point

silkyhyde
679 posts
Mon Jun-19-06 11:10 PM

38. "^^^^^Challenge Dodged^^^^^^"
In response to Reply # 37

Let's battle, doggie.

If you scared, say you scared.

I got what 'chu want...

Well?

zaire
2533 posts
Mon Jun-19-06 11:13 PM

40. "what challenge keyboard beats? LOL meet me in the Middle."
In response to Reply # 38

5 beats = keyboard and sampled

or are you just one dimensional like i think lol

silkyhyde
679 posts
Mon Jun-19-06 11:34 PM

41. "^^^^^Check this Muhfuggah coppin pleas LOL!^^^^^^"
In response to Reply # 40

Uh-uh. Nah, muhfuggah...too late for all that bitch shit.

You already came out your mouth and said you got me on a keyboard beat. It's time to show and prove.

Your keys-only beat versus mine.

1 beat apiece...the board decides.

You sound mad scared LOL! Shouldn't have been talking all that boss talk.

Now you finna get GOT.

What's up?

zaire
2533 posts
Mon Jun-19-06 11:38 PM

42. "bitch WHEN did I say I would some you on KEYBOARD BEATS?"
In response to Reply # 41

LOL

BUT I will say it now, I'll son you on ANY BEAT.

you just one dimensional when you KNOW I can son you on any tip. why, you scared to sample?

silkyhyde
679 posts
Mon Jun-19-06 11:58 PM

44. "Good! Then it's a BATTLE..."
In response to Reply # 42

...and don't take this ass beating personal or nothin' Mr Novice.

Just consider it a lesson you're about to learn THE HARD WAY.

We'll start a new thread so the world can see this beatdown that I'm finna administer to your impertinent ass.

The Rules:

1 beat with no samples, the board votes for 1 week. We'll post up the beats within 24 hours.

Good luck, chump!

zaire
2533 posts
Tue Jun-20-06 12:01 AM

45. "Post up NOW. the fuck you waitin for"
In response to Reply # 44

gotta write some sheet music by candlelight and quill? fukk outta here with that richard simmons shit

Majik43
Member since Mar 17th 2005
6189 posts
Tue Jun-20-06 12:09 AM

46. "LOL. y'all are brilliant."
In response to Reply # 45

<--- When y'all need heat, just check the credits.

AlBundy
Member since May 27th 2002
9621 posts
Wed Aug-15-07 07:16 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
76. "ahahah"
In response to Reply # 41

zaire stay losin

zaire
2533 posts
Mon Jun-19-06 10:36 PM

35. "LMAO UPON further review..."
In response to Reply # 32

looks like it was worse than i thought...i feel sorry for your rap friends, them cats are not recieving the proper support lol

Yadgyu
Member since May 31st 2006
8856 posts
Sun Jun-18-06 07:22 PM

9. "RE: Producers: Stop Bragging That You Don't Sample...."
In response to Reply # 0

Why?

Sampling is a thing of the past. Producers aren't going to make any real money by sampling these days. The music industry is too lawsuit-happy. Any little chop or portion of a song that is not cleared is going to cost the label a lot of money. And when the label has to pay for the uncleared sample, tha artist and the producers don't get any money.

I think producers rely on sampling too much instead of learning how to play and arrange their own instruments. The real problem is the lack of talent, whether a producer samples or not. I f you know how to really freak a synth, drums or any other instrument, your music production increases exponentially. Sampling will have you sounding like yesteryear's music. And you won't get paid if you don't sell.

----
----
----
----
----

GET ON MY LEVEL!

silkyhyde
679 posts
Mon Jun-19-06 01:38 AM

19. "Rich Harrison and his bank account are laughing at you..."
In response to Reply # 9

...name two keyboard beats that hit as hard as "Crazy In Love" or "1 Thing"

Go 'head, I dare u.

Now take this here L and go away.

turbz
Member since Feb 29th 2004
208 posts
Wed Aug-29-07 02:31 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
91. "these beats you mention have samples"
In response to Reply # 19

n/m

silkyhyde
679 posts
Wed Aug-29-07 08:50 AM

93. "Reading Comprehension Lost....."
In response to Reply # 91

...um nigga, that was my point.

Blinky_Blinx
Member since May 30th 2006
1876 posts
Wed Aug-29-07 12:25 PM

94. "bwahahaha!"
In response to Reply # 93

i like that one

--

Theres alot wrong with today. It kills to ignore it but it doesnt hurt to care.

BarTek
Member since Nov 10th 2002
51250 posts
Sun Jun-18-06 10:51 PM

12. "i do both.. and i never diss sampled hip hop.."
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Jun-18-06 10:57 PM by BarTek

sometimes its cool to have fun and make up your own songs.. you have no idea how much fun i had making those songs.. just messing around with the keys without any care or problem in the world.. i love it and i'll keep doing it...

i just put up a piece i sampled for.. and i'll be putting up more... i try to create music.. not beats.. you dig? i'm not thinking about the club or the underground.. i'm just expressing how i'm feeling.. if people dig it.. cool.. if not... i had no regrets. peace

@}-,-`-

He looks determined without being ruthless
Something heroic in this man, there's a courage about him
Doesn't look like a killer
Comes across so calm, acts like he has a dream
Full of passion

Anticipating Game Theory by The Roots~

silkyhyde
679 posts
Sun Jun-18-06 11:18 PM

14. "That's all peace, Bar-Tek!"
In response to Reply # 12

Like I said, this post isn't all about you. It's about a general trend that I see being alluded to on these boards and I wanted to address it, Buildingblock-stylee.

I wasn't referring to your beats as being wack, either. I was commenting on the general trend of these sample-free zealots. Your post did help provide the straw that broke the camel's back, however.

I just don't see where sample-free hip-hop is even noteworthy? Why mention it? Nobody cares (except some beat geeks) whether or not somebody looped up a break or programmed it. The people want music to bang, and they don't care how it comes to bang or how it came into existence. I know i don't gives a damn!

I sample and I program, and I play keys live...but none of that is even relevant to me. I want the ppl to feel my music, and if they don't...it doesn't matter how I made it...it's just wack. Nobody's gonna give me a pass because I played the keys on my track as opposed to sampling them from somewhere.

Like I said this thread isn't about you...it's about an attitude is see becoming more and more prevalent.

Peace,
Salim

zaire
2533 posts
Sun Jun-18-06 11:33 PM

16. "nobody should get a pass PERIOD."
In response to Reply # 14

DOPE or NOT.

alpha and omega.

whether you're john legend or lil john.

2 note melodies or a fully composed song.

i guess beats in early 80s hip hop made with just 808s are wack too.

wrong.

silkyhyde
679 posts
Sun Jun-18-06 11:45 PM

17. "Hell no! 808's are HOT!!!!"
In response to Reply # 16

I feel all that stuff from the early 80's with just a simple 808 beat, like "PSK (what does that mean)"

Just railing against the extreme position against sampling that's all.

Peace,
Salim

BarTek
51250 posts
Mon Jun-19-06 08:43 AM

25. "808's are VERY hot..."
In response to Reply # 17

@}-,-`-

Full of passion

ChuckNeal
Member since Feb 03rd 2004
5458 posts
Wed Jun-21-06 11:42 AM

69. "Whats your argument against dude?"
In response to Reply # 16

was it the swizz comment? Cause if so he thought the shit sucked, and so be it. Thats personal preference. You come in here talkin bout a 2 note melody and shit, if it bangs, im sure the original poster would like it from what ive read in his posts.

Famousfarrah.com <--- a webseries I worked on

BarTek
51250 posts
Mon Jun-19-06 07:57 AM

24. "I feel you..."
In response to Reply # 14

Well said.. in the end, it does not matter to the general public.. it's either hot or not, however... i think folks feel inclined to mention it because there are so many beat makers out there... they want to distinguish themselves with their raw talent.. sampling is great and requires a lot of skill.. it also requires extensive financial backing...

using preset synth's in order to develop your style and sound is a good idea imo... it allows you to explore composition and music theory... there is no chopping or filter work required... you play with melodies, harmonies, etc... in this case you are developing your foundation and if you choose to return to sampling.. you have a greater understanding of musical arrangement...

you know, the only difference between my preset synth beats and the music i may sample from time to time is money and experience.... someday, i will have the funds to invest in more equipment.. for now.. i'm going to prepare by staying focused on the building blocks of music, not the filling or icing on top...

finally, i took no insult to this post.. i knew i was the straw and i'm glad this post came up.. it's all peace...

@}-,-`-

Full of passion

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44831 posts
Mon Jun-19-06 11:20 AM

27. "tek, all due respect, and not on some petty nonsense either..."
In response to Reply # 24

>using preset synth's in order to develop your style and sound
>is a good idea imo... it allows you to explore composition and
>music theory... there is no chopping or filter work
>required...

man... you have used this against me a few times... using my (untrue, by the way) supposed use of "casio" presets as a weapon to attack my work...

all that other nonsense aside, i dont see where you can attack me using this specific criteria of preset synth sounds and then talk about how YOU use them yourself.

a few things- if you actually saw my sessions, you would see a great deal of tweaking, filtering, and often extensive effects chains to get certain sounsd i want. i very rarely use presets, in all honesty, and im not just talking a little eq here and there. so thats an untrue bashing of me from the get go...

but second.. hello! this is the second time you've talked of your preset use...
so, yes, i know we have our rounds, but all drama aside, i am wondering what the deal is on this one... cause yo8uve tried to diss me for using presets a few times..

High Society
Member since Oct 13th 2003
7375 posts
Mon Jun-19-06 11:39 PM

43. "where your beats?"
In response to Reply # 27

lemme hear something.

-----
Cameo
Soundshape Records

Sergio Kara
Member since Jan 29th 2005
134 posts
Tue Jun-20-06 08:23 AM

49. " I feel you...Bar Tek"
In response to Reply # 24

You are absolutly right!!!!!!!
I mean,It's music and music starts with composition so musical theory knowledge/understanding.
Music never starts with filter and shit!!!
To me It's not about making beats(which is in my opinion not musical enough,no real songwriting),It's about composing songs with a struicture and different parts,which is so much harder than making beats that's why a large majority of musicians hate hip hop music coz It's too poor.

By sampling you prove that you're just a technician not a musician,you can be very creative but you stay a technician who doesn't know really about music coz It's a language(melodies harmonies all the different tones major minor the chords the fugue...)

The problem about music today is technicians want to be musician but as long as they don't really compose they stay technicians.

A good song doesn't need nothing but a piano or a guitar and the voice.If just naked It works,then with the arrengements and tthe production(filter and shit) you can make something really interestiing and big.

Music doesn't start with production(eq,filter,compression...),Music starts with composition(chords progression,melodies,voice...)!!

And It's all about music and not technics.

Just learn to play and read music you'll see.

Bar Tek you know what it is,you're on the good path and not doing mechanical music.

Many Love...........

www.myspace.com/many_love

JansportColumbiaTimberlandAndA
Member since Jun 01st 2006
333 posts
Tue Jun-20-06 11:23 AM

51. "^^^ someone who knows what they are talking about!"
In response to Reply # 49

BarTek
51250 posts
Tue Jun-20-06 03:10 PM

58. "thanks for that..."
In response to Reply # 49

agreed.. peace!

JJRock
Member since May 02nd 2006
19 posts
Mon Jun-19-06 05:50 AM

23. "Its an ego/perception thing to me."
In response to Reply # 0

I do both and love both equally.

and when I do make an "original" composition. I do feel a sense of accomplishment in what I have done and I want to have the credit that I did ALL of the work, and let everybody know that I did.

I also feel its more prevalant with the younger generation. You don't always want to follow in the footsteps of the people before you. You want to be perceived as different(whether better, thats not for anyone to say imo.) then the past and take your own path.

Then one has to realize that if you were to have an "average" person on the street listen to two beats and tell them that one was sampled and the other is an original beat. I don't think your average person is gonna give 2 pennies how you make it, they are going to pick what is good for them.

I realized I should just shut up and let the music speak for itself.

www.myspace.com/julianjahrock

Cold Truth
44831 posts
Mon Jun-19-06 11:14 AM

26. "who is bragging? most of the composers i know arent bragging"
In response to Reply # 0

>...especially if your "compositions" are wack.

this isnt even a valid argument, because the same sentiment is across the board. dudes who brag about making that "real" hip hop shouldnt, especially when its wack, feel me? this argument cuts at ANY target, not just composers.

>You're not doing anything special by not sampling...

disagree. i am doing something "special" by challenging myself at something that isnt necessarily an easy goal. i saw sampling as the "easy" way out- not noting that sampling is always easy, because a creative sampler is an amazing thing, but the fact that i always had teh music i WaNTED to make in my head, and i couldnt get that sampling. NO, i dont have any training, NO i cant read notes, NO i havent read any theory books or anything like that.... and NO i am not saying ego trippin... im saying, i took the harder road, the road less traveled, and challenging myself to be the kind of cat that ONE DAY is the guy who GETS sampled. basically, its taking a little harder route for me. so... yeah, i kind of do feel like i am doing something special, but that doesnt mean that im ego trippin about it. i have alot of room for imporovement.

>ultimately proves nothing.

"ultimately", the goal IS to prove something, and thats that gritty, dope hip hop that isnt corny or half hearted club music can be made without sampling, and this is more to prove to myself then anybody else.. though i do want to prove to everyone else, just to a lesser degree.

>Most of the time you're producing
>synthy-sounding candy-assed keyboard beats with none of the
>grit, grime, swing or soul that is inherent in sample-based
>hip-hop. Gee that's impressive!

'd say i have a few beats in my catalog that disagree with you.

>What is up with this anti-sampling bias?

well, i dont have one at all. in fact all my favorite producers are samplers. alchemist, ayatollah, primo, havoc (well.. at one point, havoc).. though some of the new jacks ala jr rotem i am feeling... by and large, the hip hop i love is sample based. i have no biased against it, just a personal choice and challenge to myself to become a dope ass composer of real music.

>Sampling goes to the
>roots of hip-hop...it comes from DJs and crate digging...the
>essence of the culture.

cant agree more.. these are the roots.. i'm just trying to make my own branch on the three... hip hop doesnt have to be limited by these roots, it doesnt have to stay within the confines of what it STARTED as, and if it isnt allowed to grow, then how much do you really love the culture? its like the parent who loves their child so much they want to keep her at home forever, never lettinger her experience the rest of the world. sure, she may screw up and make some mistakes.. but a parent who lives its kid will let it take that chance with open arms.

>All you so-called producers who brag
>about not sampling are turning your back on the history of
>your artform. Not a good look.

i am personally not a bragger, though i will take that stance on a devils advocate tip against some of these "true school" pricks who try to belittle what i do because it doesnt fit their little mold of how they feel i or anyone else should make music.. aside from that at the end of the day, i can say, at the very least, i made my own music by my damn self, and for me that is far more satisfying then making a beat out of someone elses music. i can say that it is ALL mine. i get more personal enjoyment andsatisfaction out of this. thats whats most important- to hell with being true to hip hop or any other form of art- i am true to me, and thats where too many cats get twisted in life, being true to something other then their own heart.

>And even if you don't sample, please make sure you can
>actually PLAY keys, so your stuff doesn't sound like Swizz
>Beats smoking Fisher-Price laced-crack.

well, i wouldnt call myself a great player by any means, but if you can hlisten to the beats on my myspace page and say that i dont (at the very least) have artistic vision as a COMPOSER, well then... i dont know.. i woudl like to become a better player, but i think at this point i have developed a nice touch for a clueless kid with a keyboard and a sequencer....

all in all, i get where you are coming from, i understand your rant, but i think you are perhaps neglecting another piece of the big picture. i think i defy many of your notions of hip hop non-sampers in general...

danthrax
Member since Mar 31st 2003
3719 posts
Mon Jun-19-06 03:36 PM

28. "i do both. versatility is one thing i love to brag about."
In response to Reply # 0

and i think a lot of other people who say "not a single sample in this track" are coming at it from a similar angle. nothing against sampling, just showing what you're capable of.

LANSTARR
Member since Jan 04th 2003
418 posts
Mon Jun-19-06 04:40 PM

29. "RE: Producers: Stop Bragging That You Don't Sample...."
In response to Reply # 0

LOL that kills me when ppl brag about not sampling, but they CANT play a single accoustic or electric (not digial) instrument! If you are using a triton or any other keyboard or synth to "compose" your beats, and you didnt make all the presets from scratch, then guess what? You are using samples of instruments. Only, you didnt even sample it your self, you are using someone else's sample. At least sampling producers crate dig, chop, and mangle sounds themself!

I sample loops, chop, I "compose" from preset keyboard sounds, I sound design, shoot - I even created my own synthesizer. I also play accoustic instruments... in fact, a few of them! I don't limit myself to sub-genre of producing techniques. So I dont hate on composers or samplers or whatever. I hate on wack, and I give props to hott shit.

So props to the poster for bringing up a good topic

(((BEATS BY LANSTARR)))

www.lanstarr.com
www.dirtybathwater.com
www.myspace.com/lanstarr

ZzzzJ
Member since Jan 16th 2006
151 posts
Mon Jun-19-06 05:53 PM

30. "the key word is board (c) Von Peazzy"
In response to Reply # 0

www.myspace.com/zzzzzj

DO IT!

bigboy
Member since Oct 21st 2004
11930 posts
Mon Jun-19-06 05:54 PM

31. "You shouldnt be braggin if you do either one"
In response to Reply # 0

kats actin like it aint hip hop if you dont sample. as long as its dope. you think samples used samples? those where played on live instruments. but the thing i dont understand is that outside people constantly slam and critize hip hop for not using live instruments but kats wanna hate cause you use instruments and keyboards. if thats the case kats should use anything to make hip hop. how do you think hip hop started out. anybody can sample, it depends on your sampling style, usage, and time. thats why you got all these kats sounding the same. the door is wide open for keyboarding right now. im steppin in that direction.

to be honest, i grew up a big big fan of sampling (Jay Dee, Hi-Tek, 9th Wonder, Pete Rock). i kinda didnt like keyboard beats cause most kats that keyboarded were WACK. i've always wanted to make beats, and i was gonna follow the trend of sampling. but i started making beats and i found that i was better with keyboards even though i favored sampling in the past. so there is nothing wrong with sampling or keyboarding. the ear really doesnt care how kats made it. most of my stuff actually sounds like sampling. i think thats beautiful. its all depending on your creative ability.

Kkon El
Member since Feb 20th 2004
3339 posts
Mon Jun-19-06 10:30 PM

34. "People act like you can't compose with samples"
In response to Reply # 0

The once and future Master

silkyhyde
679 posts
Mon Jun-19-06 11:12 PM

39. "I know, right? (n/m)"
In response to Reply # 34

Peace,
Salim

Cold Truth
44831 posts
Tue Jun-20-06 05:01 AM

47. "one, there is a major difference between the two"
In response to Reply # 34

and two, the vast majority of this argument is and has always come from the pro sampling side... the "compose-from-scratch" contingent generally appreciates sampling, has no issue with it, and doesnt give a rip about the argument for the most part. that is, until the "pro" sampling side of things get their panties in a twist and make an issue of it.

me sitting at a keybaord and creating a completely new piece and taking an existing piece and transforming it are two different things completely.

Kkon El
Member since Feb 20th 2004
3339 posts
Tue Jun-20-06 07:23 PM

61. "They can be, but not necessarily"
In response to Reply # 47

Miles Davis and Bill Evans wrote 'All Blues' from listening to Wynton Kelly play 'Drad Dog' and rearranging the chords.
I doubt anyone would argue that it's a composition, since it's probably the best song on Kind of Blue, but that's how it was written and to say they are totally different would be to infer that it isn't.
You may be surprised how many standards were written this way, and had drum machines been around then they may have been used in this manner as another piece of equipment.

The once and future Master

Cold Truth
44831 posts
Tue Jun-20-06 05:05 AM

48. "i'm actually somewhat suprised at the bit of hostility from silk..."
In response to Reply # 0

i just realized who this was.... fallin away is a tight joint...

i dont get why your bothered though, personally i would rather see you call out specific cats that you feel are in violation and address those... cause i'm not seeing too muich of the bragging from the keyboard types..

silkyhyde
679 posts
Tue Jun-20-06 11:09 AM

50. "LOL! No hostility here, Truth!"
In response to Reply # 48

You know I got love for my sOKal peeps

Just trying to keep thangs lively up this piece.

I'm gonna handle this fool who's violatin' tho. He said I ain't got KEYBOARD joints.

It's gonna be fun!

Peace,
Salim

zaire
2533 posts
Tue Jun-20-06 11:40 AM

52. "You dont, that shit is terry cloth lol"
In response to Reply # 50

soft and fuzzy,dont nobody wanna ryhme over that shit.

its good for a lifetime channel commercial tho

zaire
2533 posts
Tue Jun-20-06 11:57 AM

53. "Oh, and let it be known, yalls boy silky..."
In response to Reply # 0

refuses to battle on both sides of the ball; sampled and keyboard joints

i can do both, pretty well also, i'm afraid that he cannot.

he has classical music training, and I'm just some hoodlum in my bedroom makin beats, but I garauntee that I make better beats than john tesche

when you call people out on 2 finger melodies and not being dope, you deserved to get put on blast. The problem here is these hip hop elitists who want eveything to be like 94. let me give you the psyche profile;

height: 5'3-5'9
weight: 235-295lbs
favored time: 93-94
job: N/A
types of beats made: surprise surprise; fender rhodes over drum breaks
desires: wishes someone can make a time machine so they can travel back to 93-94 on some 'real hiphop'

^^^^sounds like a star trek convention to me

now I got a few '2 finger' joints that'll murk son, but let it be known that i can murk him on either side. sampled or keyboard. usually i dont battle geeks on the innanet but this is gonna be fun, cus he's a musician, and I'm not lol

thegovernment
Member since Dec 03rd 2005
17 posts
Tue Jun-20-06 12:40 PM

54. "the only reason to avoid sampling"
In response to Reply # 53

is to avoid splitting your publishing. 99% of the most celebrated rap beats are sample based. so obviously sampling is a good thing. the people that made the original records played their shit so obviously playing is a good thing. neither technique makes a beat good. so bragging about your approach is pretty stupid. but as a producer the real money is in publishing, and as unfair as the sampling laws may be, someone will be coming for your check! also, when there isn't a big budget, having dope beats that happen to need no clearance can work to your advantage.

www.myspace.com/governmentbeats
www.myspace.com/rapbrown

silkyhyde
679 posts
Tue Jun-20-06 02:58 PM

57. "I'm 6'1, punk..."

...the rest is dead on tho. Definitely not the type of dude niggas like talking a lot of trash to up close. LOL But you're an e-thug, so that's your steez.

Don't worry about the physical descrip, young'un. Worry about this beat I'ma break off inside your ass (no homo).

Your youth ain't gonna save you, neither will your beats.

Sweat it out, kid. Judgment day is coming tonight.

silkyhyde
679 posts
Tue Jun-20-06 03:14 PM

59. "Do you really want me on samples + keys?"

...what you think some samples are gonna save you? ROTFLMBAO!!!!!

Nah, kid. Nothing can save you. Nothing.

You're a dead man typing right now. You just don't know it yet.

Soon it will all become painfully clear where you need to get your weight up.

Skills kill, Mr Novice. Your two finger masterpieces are no match for true skill.

Tell you what, just so you don't go crying how it wasn't fair how I didn't let you bring your best...the gloves are off...

Hit me with your best shot...samples, keys, your cross-eyed girlfriend singing the hook, whatever you desire. No holds barred.

I will GRANDSON you, nonetheless.

zaire
2533 posts
Tue Jun-20-06 10:28 PM

63. "I got 2 finger melodies that shit on your myspace page lullabyes lol"
In response to Reply # 59

you wanted a battle, post up old, its gettin too easy to diss ya tired as rhodes

and yes, i would like to hear you sample + keys lol. pretty sure its gonna be the same story; warm garbage

Cold Truth
44831 posts
Tue Jun-20-06 12:40 PM

55. "i just want to see this silk-zaire battle"
In response to Reply # 0

shuold be some good material there

no sides here, i'm cool with both, i just want to hear some good beats

so BOTH ya'll better bring it!

or else, you'll have to deal with me... ha! sucka!

zaire
2533 posts
Tue Jun-20-06 12:47 PM

56. "I mean, what you expect from a cat named 'Sylky Hyde'"
In response to Reply # 55

'sall im sayin

just set your alarm clock to wake up after he post his, cus you already know what its gonna be; rhodes and drum breaks lol

Cold Truth
44831 posts
Tue Jun-20-06 09:29 PM

62. "lol"
In response to Reply # 56

damn

you gon fire back silk?

look at me, instigating.. lol

i just want to hear some dope beats come out of this

JansportColumbiaTimberlandAndA
Member since Jun 01st 2006
333 posts
Tue Jun-20-06 06:18 PM

60. "this entire post reeks irony"
In response to Reply # 0

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57003 posts
Tue Jun-20-06 11:05 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
64. "creative sampling is far more interesting than playing a keyboard..."
In response to Reply # 0

...as far as hip hop is concerned

zaire
2533 posts
Tue Jun-20-06 11:13 PM

65. "gotta respectfully disagree for one reason"
In response to Reply # 64

-either can be doper than the other

like that beauty in the eye of the beholder bullshit

some days i can feel a crazy battlecat synth joint over pete rock or just blaze

but guys with wack keybored beats are just that; boring. JUST like guys with wack sampled beats are the same thing; boring.

but apparently if you're classically trained penis you cannot make boring joints, but we all seen that debunked with our friend silkybooty's myspace page lol

MISTA MONOTONE
Member since Jan 30th 2004
58563 posts
Wed Jun-21-06 09:15 AM

66. "I'M DYING!!"
In response to Reply # 65

>but apparently if you're classically trained penis you cannot
>make boring joints, but we all seen that debunked with our
>friend silkybooty's myspace page lol

i'm signing my joint up to get classically trained. i'mma be the baddest muthaf*cka with three legs yo.

------------------------------------------
latest mixtape:
https://www.mixcloud.com/mistamonotone/music-to-smack-motherfckers-to/

mistamonotone - taboo
http://mistamonotone.bandcamp.com/album/taboo

@mistamonotone
IG: mistamonotone

silkyhyde
679 posts
Wed Jun-21-06 10:40 AM

67. "You think that's funny?"
In response to Reply # 66

Watch as this "classically trained" penis (I'm all self-taught btw) str8 FU@KS this young, wet p@ssy named Zaire.

It's going down today. Had to watch my Heat dispatch the Mavs last night, but it's on now.

Peace,
Salim

Soon
Member since Jul 02nd 2007
17996 posts
Thu Aug-16-07 03:54 PM

81. "Damn that was gay"
In response to Reply # 67

http://twitter.com/RSoon
http://soonsounds.com <--- Peace for the Fiery Heart
https://soundcloud.com/marianmereba/blue-for-mr-green-real-soon

silkyhyde
679 posts
Thu Aug-16-07 09:08 PM

82. "Yeah I know...when a dick goes in a pussy...THAT'S GAY!!!"
In response to Reply # 81
Thu Aug-16-07 09:46 PM by silkyhyde

n/m

Soon
17996 posts
Sun Aug-26-07 06:37 PM

89. "Only when that pussy is a metaphor for a man"
In response to Reply # 82

Classically trained, though? D'you have an era/period of specialty?

zaire
2533 posts
Wed Jun-21-06 11:41 AM

68. "by the way tone, I dig that synthy shit you did on some of your beats fa..."
In response to Reply # 66

sounds like some stuff only detriot could produce lol

Shadowapocalypse
Member since Apr 01st 2006
18 posts
Sat Jun-24-06 10:07 PM

70. "RE: Producers: Stop Bragging That You Don't Sample...."
In response to Reply # 0

>...especially if your "compositions" are wack.
>
>You're not doing anything special by not sampling...it
>ultimately proves nothing. Most of the time you're producing
>synthy-sounding candy-assed keyboard beats with none of the
>grit, grime, swing or soul that is inherent in sample-based
>hip-hop. Gee that's impressive!
>
>What is up with this anti-sampling bias? Sampling goes to the
>essence of the culture. All you so-called producers who brag
>
>
>That is all...
>
>Peace,
>Salim

I couldn't have said it better myself...

The Enigmatic Shadowapocalypse

Ascension
Member since Aug 25th 2003
6616 posts
Sun Jun-25-06 05:34 AM

71. "This post really turned into something funny."
In response to Reply # 0

latif888
Charter member
500 posts
Thu Jun-29-06 04:54 PM

72. "RE: Producers: Stop Bragging That You Don't Sample...."
In response to Reply # 0

either way, it's all about the ear. i play four+ instruments, but i collaborate with djs and beatmakers who've built their whole style from crate digging and sampling. these guys are amazing, like mosaic artists...like the guy who does up all the buildings on south st. i've learned a tremendous amount from this side of things. some of these cats have a vast encyclopedic knowledge of music past and present.

Yadgyu
8856 posts
Fri Jun-30-06 12:25 AM

73. "You guys are stupid."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Jun-30-06 12:26 AM by Yadgyu

You are all arguing about BS instead of focusing on what really matters: ME!

For hot music, proceed to the following link: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pageartist.cfm?bandid=64492

Get On My Level.

----
----
----
----
----

GET ON MY LEVEL!

Soon
17996 posts
Tue Aug-14-07 05:54 PM

74. "^ cuz this was a comedic read"
In response to Reply # 0

zaire
2533 posts
Tue Aug-14-07 06:55 PM

75. "*bows*"
In response to Reply # 74

that shit was funny tho wasnt it

willi_dudat
Member since Jul 26th 2005
8272 posts
Thu Aug-16-07 11:36 AM

77. "this was pretty gr8..."
In response to Reply # 0

i always appreciate comedic, slightly enlightening posts such as these... free kudos for everyone... *throws em out in 2's*

over and out
du

"It's the return of the gangsta, thanks ta..."

-du

urbgriot
Charter member
11445 posts
Thu Aug-16-07 01:43 PM

78. "So untrue..."
In response to Reply # 0

>What is up with this anti-sampling bias? Sampling goes to the
>essence of the culture. All you so-called producers who brag

Many if not most of hip hop's early recording were not samples..

https://twitter.com/onnextlevel

Cain the Conqueror
Member since Dec 26th 2002
391 posts
Thu Aug-16-07 02:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
79. "Yeah this is true...."
In response to Reply # 78

I think the OP has some valid points, I used to have the same exact pov. But after remembering back to Africa Bambataa and many others who used mostly synths in their tracks I realized its not a new trend. However IMO the work back then sounded a lot fresher than a lot of the synth stuff I hear today (and I stay listening to Old School Hip Hop so its not nostalgia talking). End results is all that matter, hell blending samples and synths Im sure would yield the best results if the producer was nice enough to do so Id wager.

Cain the Conqueror: Master of many arts.

My Space
http://www.myspace.com/23686466

Soundclick
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=279862

truPro
Member since Jul 09th 2007
943 posts
Thu Aug-16-07 03:25 PM

80. "RE: Yeah this is true...."
In response to Reply # 79
Thu Aug-16-07 03:29 PM by truPro

cosine. Combining the two is the most satisfying for me, when it's done right. Also agree on that 'don't matter as long as it sound good' as well. I do have a certain respect for cats that can play all the parts, or bring in some live players and then engineer it to sound cohesive so you don't know: "was that a sample or did they play all that?" But, if you cant play at all and your pick good samples and have drums that fit, you good to go as well. Simplicity is often the key imo. But to be fair, if your pressing two or three keys on the keyboard, you are not playing anything at all. You would actually be doing much more work using a sample, so the work ethic argument only flys when you are writing melodies and harmonies. 'Blip blip bleep' can be funky too, but don't ask for a nobel peace prize just because you figured out one chord...

silkyhyde
679 posts
Thu Aug-16-07 09:38 PM

84. ""Planet Rock" was a sample...Kraftwerk I think."
In response to Reply # 79

All those early guys did was replay hot grooves of the day. It's directly related to and born from the same aesthetic as sampling.

Dre did the same thing...instead of actually using "Atomic Dog" he replayed the same groove for Snoop's "What's My Name?". It's still a sample, he just didn't use a sampler.

Peace,
Salim

silkyhyde
679 posts
Thu Aug-16-07 09:30 PM

83. "Don't be obtuse..."

>Many if not most of hip hop's early recording were not
>samples..

Hip-Hop predates samplers. Of course early hip-hop recordings didn't have "samples" per se. But they did have studio musicians go and replay the hottest groove of the day note for note (eg. Rapper's Delight = Good Times). Go ask Nile Rodgers if Sugahill Gang "sampled" his shit. Better yet, ask his lawyer.

And hip-hop predates hip-hop records. When Kool Herc was inventing this shit in the Bronx in 1974, all he had was two turntables and a microphone. He played somebody else's record (sampled) and mastered the ceremony (rapped) over it. And when he learned to loop the break using two copies of the same record, hip-hop music was born.

Like I said, the sampling ethos comes from DJs and crate digging. The roots of the culture.

Learn ya history.

Salim

briwil25
Member since Apr 14th 2003
12781 posts
Fri Aug-17-07 11:22 PM

85. "Uhh.........Rapper's Delight?"

"I've outdone anyone you can name -- Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, Strauss. Irving Berlin, he wrote 1,001 tunes. I wrote 5,500." - James Brown

Kuahmel
Member since Aug 30th 2003
15005 posts
Sat Aug-18-07 10:46 AM

86. "With me, everything's an instrument."
In response to Reply # 0

I personally try my best not to be LOOP-dependent. I'm notorious for chopping away at something and keeping it around forever until I can one day actually use it.

But again, if the mentality is changed to reminding yourself that every sound, from keyboard guitars to a real live horn to a sample of vinyl pops, is simply an instrument, then it goes back to the person making the music making it sound RIGHT/dope.

And THAT'S where I gotta call BS, when these keyboard cats seemingly fell asleep on a Hennessy bender leaning on their Motif, and called it a hot beat. I'm as mad at that as I am when someone chooses an already-used loop and throws one different drum on it and thinks they're the second coming of Kanye.

...with who? THA DOODOOMAN!!!
www.homestarrunner.com/vcr_poop.html

kill all whites today & we'll still be f'd up. we fight over BS political ideas & ethnic allegiances but scared to defend resources of our own land. the only savior is self--thegodcam

Yank
Charter member
24509 posts
Sat Aug-18-07 01:55 PM

87. "Please post this on Soundclick"
In response to Reply # 0

-

304BEATZ
Member since Jul 11th 2007
1 posts
Sun Aug-26-07 02:25 PM

88. "For discussion's sake...."
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Aug-26-07 02:27 PM by 304BEATZ

Here's a thought: Remember that most if not all the synths that have come in the past 15 years or so(workstations especially) have been based on preset sounds(sampled)that can be tweaked and affected with the effects onboard or from outside sources. Most of the rackmout synths come with(surprise)preset sounds as well. It's not a secret that new(!)sounds can be created through layering,FX,etc...And now comes the part that could cause a few people to fall over...I'll give U a few sec. to catch your breath..... O.K.,Ready.....Here Goes...... EVERYBODY SAMPLES!!!!!All those preset sounds and were generated by someone else and recorded(LOL) to be placed in your synths memory. Then they lovingly give us the option to do this ourselves at home whenever CREATIVITY(!) strikes. But...As I stated before,just a thought. PS. "It's not about the equipment,It's the n**** who's workin' it..." Dr.Dre-Winter'95

Yadgyu
8856 posts
Mon Aug-27-07 12:54 AM

90. "hey"
In response to Reply # 0

For hot music, proceed to the following link: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pageartist.cfm?bandid=64492

willi_dudat
Member since Jul 26th 2005
8272 posts
Wed Aug-29-07 03:29 AM

92. "RE: Producers: Stop Bragging That You Don't Sample...."
In response to Reply # 0

...and just focus on makin some good product!!!

unless you got some kinda clout, you shouldn't be braggin no way...

over and out
du

"It's the return of the gangsta, thanks ta..."

-du

BurbKnight
Charter member
106873 posts
Wed Aug-29-07 02:38 PM

95. "on the outside looking in...."
In response to Reply # 0

your audience won't know the difference.... lol... unless you are Puffy sampling The Police

Lobby Make The Music topic #8608 Previous topic | Next topic