Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Make The Music topic #7223

Subject: "I NEED Cool Edit Pro (Mixing) for Dummies?" Previous topic | Next topic
TheNativeSun7
Member since Jul 15th 2003
1953 posts
Sun Jun-04-06 11:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"I NEED Cool Edit Pro (Mixing) for Dummies?"
Mon Jun-05-06 12:09 AM by TheNativeSun7

I have a situation where i have a laptop i record my songs on with cool edit pro and i got a PC downstairs thats old n shitty but has internet..and I use the pc downstairs to upload my music on the net /myspace/ soundclick.com etc etc...

AND WE ALL KNOW LAPTOP BUILT IN SPEAKERS ARE DIFFERENT FROM PC DESKTOP SPEAKERS...so a song sounds mixed well on my laptop..sounds like shit on my PC...because i'm hearing different tones i guess...i don't know

But this is some advice I got from a Well Known Artist (lol can't tell you who it is) ...hit me with a message of advice here it is

What up man,

I peeped the joint...The mixing sounds decent...But the beat is not as crispy as your vocals...That's part of the reason why your vocals may sound a bit louder than the beat, because your vocals are a lot cleaner than how the beat is...

Your boy is doing ok with the mixes, but if you can take some time, I would suggest to try to mix your joints too...With Cool Edit, The main thing to peep for is the levels of the mix...Solo out the beat itself, and figure out how loud it is, then bring in your vocals over the beat...Listen for yourself and figure out if you like your vocals to sit "inside" the beat, or if you like your vocals "over top" of the beat...It's kinda all about what you prefer, that's why I say work on the stuff yourself...

Then listen to some of your favorite albums and listen how the vocals sound on those tracks...I know the professional tracks are mixed in expensive studios, but the principles of how the mix is preferred are the same...Trial and error man...practice makes perfect...

Hope this helps...peace.

NOW CAN SOMEONE ADD ON WITH MORE DETAIL OR JUST GIVE ME MORE ADVICE WITH THIS ...because i don't really understand how to even let the vocals sit "inside" the beat? w/ Cool Edit Pro? ...i just put my the beat on "Track 1" ...then record vocals with "Track 2" ...and "Track 3" etc etc..for other verses/hooks...and add effects, and try my best to do a mixdown into mp3 format and post it on the web...

Please be real basic with the advice...i'm horrible at the termanology

--------------------------------------

the truth is in the origin of mankind'

---------------------------------------
CHECK OUT THE MYSPACE MUSIC I DELIVER!

http://www.myspace.com/fcthetruth

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
invest in monitors, or at the very least a kinda decent stereo system
Jun 05th 2006
RE: I listen to CDs with my songs on it...in a regular home stereo...
Jun 05th 2006

Allah
Charter member
47756 posts
Mon Jun-05-06 12:41 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "invest in monitors, or at the very least a kinda decent stereo system"
In response to Reply # 0

and route the output of our laptop soundcard to your
stereo receiver using audio to rca.
What do you listen to CD'S and stuff at in your domicile
BESIDES your computer? Peace.

http://www.facebook.com/divineruler
__gigs__
__stuff__

TheNativeSun7
Member since Jul 15th 2003
1953 posts
Mon Jun-05-06 12:43 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: I listen to CDs with my songs on it...in a regular home stereo..."
In response to Reply # 1

>and route the output of our laptop soundcard to your
>stereo receiver using audio to rca.
>What do you listen to CD'S and stuff at in your domicile
>BESIDES your computer? Peace.

--------------------------------------

the truth is in the origin of mankind'

---------------------------------------
CHECK OUT THE MYSPACE MUSIC I DELIVER!

http://www.myspace.com/fcthetruth