Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Make The Music topic #7079

Subject: "to be a producer who raps/performs -- a blessing, or a curse?" Previous topic | Next topic
danthrax
Member since Mar 31st 2003
3719 posts
Sat Jun-03-06 02:41 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"to be a producer who raps/performs -- a blessing, or a curse?"

Assuming the production is above average...

Does being a producer lower the expectation on a rapper -- like "oh, well he made the beat, so no matter what the lyrics are he's a genius already!" Or does it make you less likely to take em seriously like "shit, i ain't even heard it yet and i can tell you this guy should stay behind the boards."

If there's one of few advantages I think a producer has it's that they're more likely to think of their voice as an instrument. Jay Dee, Q-Tip, RZA -- all guys I enjoy more on the microphone than other more 'technically' sound MCs because of how they mess with rhythm and vocal tone.

---

For me, I'm a producer first and foremost. But the MAIN reason I wanna perform the lyrics for my own tracks is because I simply cannot trust anybody else. I've worked with lazy MCs, I've worked with backstabbing MCs, and I've worked with MCs who just don't share the creative vision. At the end of the day, I'd rather take responsibility and know that the lyrics I do will fit exactly what I had in mind.

Whether being the producer AND the performer will help me or hurt me, I guess I'm gonna have to sleep in the bed I make, right?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: to be a producer who raps/performs -- a blessing, or a curse?
Jun 03rd 2006
IT DEPENDS...
Jun 03rd 2006
I started rhyming first but my voice is wack!
Jun 03rd 2006
its an everlasting struggle...
Jun 03rd 2006

lexx3001
Charter member
9211 posts
Sat Jun-03-06 11:12 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "RE: to be a producer who raps/performs -- a blessing, or a curse?"
In response to Reply # 0

>For me, I'm a producer first and foremost. But the MAIN reason
>I wanna perform the lyrics for my own tracks is because I
>simply cannot trust anybody else. I've worked with lazy MCs,
>I've worked with backstabbing MCs, and I've worked with MCs
>who just don't share the creative vision. At the end of the
>day, I'd rather take responsibility and know that the lyrics I
>do will fit exactly what I had in mind.
>

That right there is the answer. Same for me, only I started of as an MC first. I needed original music and I got into producing. I mean, I was already playing some istruments so it wasnt too tough of a transition. At one point i was definately more a producer than MC, i think i still am kind of. BUT, with that said, I know what I want out of my beats and I can only provide it myself, out of all the MCs I know.

Stay strong

Lexx

iamlexx.com
newvintagegroup.com
aim: lexx3001

SonnyRocwell
Member since Feb 20th 2004
279 posts
Sat Jun-03-06 03:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "IT DEPENDS..."
In response to Reply # 0

Whether or not its a blessing or a curse to be a beatmaker AND an emcee depends on how talented the artist is. If he's a dope producer, but can't rhyme for shyt (and vice versa) then its DEFINITELY a curse.

If a person's good at both, its a toss up. If you look at the bigger picture, its a blessing to be able to wear both hats no matter how you look at it because its so rare. Its the Bo Jackson syndrome....dual sport athletes. Possessing the dexterity to perform at a high level in two different arenas is nothing short of impressive.

Don't get me wrong. It ain't all rose pedals and sunflower stems. It can also serve as a hindrance or obstacle. As mentioned before, certain people can't help but start out with pre-conceived notions about an artist's work when they hear that they rhyme and produce. But then again, others applaud an artist's work for the same reason. It all depends on the ear in which the music enters.

Brought to you by HEAVYWEIGHT in conjunction with THE GOODNESS - Summer '07

www.myspace.com/sonnyrocwell
www.thegoodnessmusic.com

kelvinmercerlookalike
Member since Jan 08th 2006
6025 posts
Sat Jun-03-06 07:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "I started rhyming first but my voice is wack!"
In response to Reply # 0

so DJing came next but I will always be a "at home" battlerappin' MC on

the low. HA!

I just started messing with the beat making tip and I don't think I am MC worthy

yet. I think I will rock the instrumental action via Blockhead, Ge-Ology(his ish is NICE),J DILLA, Madlib, and dudes like that.

willi_dudat
Member since Jul 26th 2005
8272 posts
Sat Jun-03-06 08:22 PM

4. "its an everlasting struggle..."
In response to Reply # 0

being someone who identifies himself as a producer/emcee, i to feel like im one of the few who can finesse the tracks i make properly...

does that make me egotistical??? to a point, yes... but its like if you renovated a car... you wanna be the mfkr drivin cause you spent the time and money to put it in its supreme condition...

all im sayin, is that when a mfkr "wreck my shit" (in the bad way) i dont take that lightly... so i opt to eliminate the issue and just go for self...

dan said it perfectly and i agree "i just dont trust anyone"... is that a problem??? yes but its not my problem... if mfkrs could be a bit more trustworthy and put in the time to get better at what they're doin (ie: "hone their craft") then its gold... but when you got nothin but bs, complaints about the musical vision, arguements about everything and so forth, who wants that shit!!! go somewhere else with that!!!

so yeah, i got my talents and i choose not to allow them to be taken advantage of... no piggy backin here baby, carry yo weight or get the hell out my formation (that's my military side talkin now)...

over and out
du

"It's the return of the gangsta, thanks ta..."

-du

Lobby Make The Music topic #7079 Previous topic | Next topic