Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Make The Music topic #6842

Subject: "BOTTOM LINE: can you make it with using FL" Previous topic | Next topic
lexx3001
Charter member
9211 posts
Wed May-31-06 11:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"BOTTOM LINE: can you make it with using FL"

9th Wonder aside, I wonder if it is THAT critical to have hardware. Yes, I admit, I use FL to produce with. I use keys and other stuff, but my main beatmaking component is FL. Of course I use my own custom banks and all, but I often wondered if I can get anywhere with using FL. I know, there will be replyes to this like " Its not the equipment, its how you use it" or "this dude is one out of 500000000000000000000000 other pc producers on here". I understand, Im not an idiot, thast basic stuff. I cant show anything right now cause Im working on a project, so I cant support my monologue, but the question still stands. What are your thoughts on the subject.

Stay strong

Lexx

iamlexx.com
newvintagegroup.com
aim: lexx3001

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
After four years of it, I'm ready to try something new.
Jun 01st 2006
make what?
Jun 01st 2006
I think it depends on what you mean by making it but, in short,
Jun 01st 2006
RE: BOTTOM LINE: can you make it with using FL
Jun 01st 2006
hmmm you speak the truth
Jun 01st 2006
a few drum and bass acts on the low are signing tracks done on FL
Jun 01st 2006
Yes. There aren't any rules to this shit, just make it sound hot
Jun 01st 2006
RE: Yes. There aren't any rules to this shit, just make it sound hot
Jun 01st 2006
You can't make it without talent. 9th has talent. He has the ability...
Jun 01st 2006
everyone can use software -- that's the reason it gets a bad rap
Jun 01st 2006
RE: everyone can use software -- that's the reason it gets a bad rap
Jun 01st 2006
^^^^ Real talk
Jun 02nd 2006
Jun 01st 2006
Jun 01st 2006
Jun 01st 2006
I'm actually jel cus i cant use FL. Imma learn soon tho
Jun 02nd 2006
*_*
Jun 02nd 2006
FL gets a bad rap cause the poor ratio of cats using it are wack.
Jun 03rd 2006
You can get around the 'unnaturalness' of the drums
Jun 03rd 2006
YES
Jun 04th 2006
that's quite sad that the reason you don't wanna rock it is to fit in..
Jun 04th 2006
      That's nuts
Jun 04th 2006

theMantheMyth
Member since Mar 11th 2005
39988 posts
Thu Jun-01-06 03:34 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "After four years of it, I'm ready to try something new."
In response to Reply # 0

But its got its own quirks, just like any other solution out there. Its just a matter of working in and around and, at times, against them to create the sound you want. I certainly think its possible to make professional-sounding beats in FL studio.

www.soul2020.com
www.myspace.com/chopsteak

The3rdOne
Charter member
9105 posts
Thu Jun-01-06 07:36 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "make what?"
In response to Reply # 0

Boy Wonder
Member since Oct 31st 2003
5055 posts
Thu Jun-01-06 08:04 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "I think it depends on what you mean by making it but, in short,"
In response to Reply # 0

yes you DEFINATELY can...

here in the UK there are some ppl, in the underground, making some serious cake off of using FL...and not even freaking it - just using presets! one of them got to no. 10 in the national charts last year after selling thousands of units nationwide!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/7/b...productions.htm
http://breakbeatproductions.blogspot.com

Milkman McNasty
Member since Mar 07th 2006
320 posts
Thu Jun-01-06 09:15 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "RE: BOTTOM LINE: can you make it with using FL"
In response to Reply # 0

There's no reason to limit yourself mentally... I have a feeling you know you can make it using FL. Go that route rather than the one in which you doubt yourself and your equipment... it is from that route that true creativity flows, grasshopper.

---------------
http://myspace.com/onefunkproductions

lexx3001
Charter member
9211 posts
Thu Jun-01-06 06:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "hmmm you speak the truth"
In response to Reply # 4

i IS obvious, I just want to hear what people think of it. but the truth indeed

Stay strong

Lexx

iamlexx.com
newvintagegroup.com

Allah
Charter member
47756 posts
Thu Jun-01-06 09:21 AM

5. "a few drum and bass acts on the low are signing tracks done on FL"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.facebook.com/divineruler
__gigs__
__stuff__

micMajestic
Charter member
22938 posts
Thu Jun-01-06 10:45 AM

6. "Yes. There aren't any rules to this shit, just make it sound hot"
In response to Reply # 0

If it sounds hot, then somebody is going to want to rhyme over it. Simple as that.

www.myspace.com/mrwizworld
Mr. Wiz rocking live
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=759046132&n=2

mictopia
Charter member
231 posts
Thu Jun-01-06 02:26 PM

9. "RE: Yes. There aren't any rules to this shit, just make it sound hot"
In response to Reply # 6

ditto!!!

www.myspace.com/mic_el

jambone
Member since Aug 08th 2005
24803 posts
Thu Jun-01-06 10:53 AM

7. "You can't make it without talent. 9th has talent. He has the ability..."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jun-01-06 10:55 AM by jambone

...not only make solid beats, but produce whole albums. FL has nothing to do with that. From what I understand, the main reason 9th went the FL route was due to financial reasons. It doesn't matter what car you drive per se, as long as you get to the place you want to go.

If you got the talent and discipline, you can freak it.

<--- we've got bush!

danthrax
Member since Mar 31st 2003
3719 posts
Thu Jun-01-06 12:08 PM

8. "everyone can use software -- that's the reason it gets a bad rap"
In response to Reply # 0

The same way that photography made it possible for everyone to have pretty pictures of things.

The same way that records let people hear famous opera singers without having to be as rich as God.

The same way that technology has gotten cheaper and more ubiquitous, now people can make dope studios in their own house...

People have been hating on "the people" since the beginning of time. They only want an elite few people making art. They want to keep music out of your hands. And now that everybody can get their hands on it, they want to associate all the losers together -- and the easiest way to do that is by the tools they use.

Don't fall for it. I don't use FLStudio, but it's a pretty potent piece of software. I saw someone who gave my beats a run for my money using nothing more than a shareware wave editor and some downloaded mp3s, FOR REAL.

Blinky_Blinx
Member since May 30th 2006
1876 posts
Thu Jun-01-06 02:35 PM

10. "RE: everyone can use software -- that's the reason it gets a bad rap"
In response to Reply # 8

I completely co-sign with what danthanx jus said

--

Theres alot wrong with today. It kills to ignore it but it doesnt hurt to care.

knonsense
Charter member
688 posts
Fri Jun-02-06 12:33 AM

15. "^^^^ Real talk"
In response to Reply # 8

They scared somebody can make hotter shit then them wit out copping a $800 or however much MPC #whatever

www.knonsense.com
www.facebook.com/knonsense

LANSTARR
Member since Jan 04th 2003
418 posts
Thu Jun-01-06 05:21 PM

11. "RE: BOTTOM LINE: can you make it with using FL"
In response to Reply # 0

I often wondered
>if I can get anywhere with using FL. I know, there will be
>replyes to this like " Its not the equipment, its how you use
>it" or "this dude is one out of 500000000000000000000000 other
>pc producers on here". I understand, Im not an idiot, thast
>basic stuff.

Okay so what is ur question? What do you want to hear? You know the answer already

(((BEATS BY LANSTARR)))

www.lanstarr.com
www.dirtybathwater.com
www.myspace.com/lanstarr

lexx3001
Charter member
9211 posts
Thu Jun-01-06 06:40 PM

13. "RE: BOTTOM LINE: can you make it with using FL"
In response to Reply # 11

your oppinion. I have my own, Im just curious

Stay strong

Lexx

iamlexx.com
newvintagegroup.com

skb
Member since May 20th 2006
118 posts
Thu Jun-01-06 08:45 PM

14. "RE: BOTTOM LINE: can you make it with using FL"
In response to Reply # 0

this has been quite the inspirational bout of replies.

you guys are the best.

zaire
Member since Aug 17th 2003
2533 posts
Fri Jun-02-06 01:00 AM

16. "I'm actually jel cus i cant use FL. Imma learn soon tho"
In response to Reply # 0

Nile
Member since Feb 01st 2006
49 posts
Fri Jun-02-06 08:35 AM

17. "*_*"
In response to Reply # 16

Without a doubt! GarageBand Too!

Ascension
Member since Aug 25th 2003
6616 posts
Sat Jun-03-06 02:46 PM

18. "FL gets a bad rap cause the poor ratio of cats using it are wack."
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Jun-03-06 02:49 PM by Ascension

Its all about what u feed into the machine..using commercial drum kits,sample cds and internal fl sounds will make u wack..I think with FL its crucial you have a midi controller too..u cant naturally do your drums in fl by clicking a mouse..people will know immediately when they listen to the timing..it makes your beats sound robotic..so having midi control via pads or keys makes FL STUDIO capable of making professional recordings..i feel with the latest version that being version 6xxl the possibilities are endless..much more options than my akai mpc1000.. I often find myself using my mpc as a controller and fl as sequencer.

Kkon El
Member since Feb 20th 2004
3339 posts
Sat Jun-03-06 09:17 PM

19. "You can get around the 'unnaturalness' of the drums"
In response to Reply # 18

if you know how to freak it without a controller.
I only really use FL now for the mixing and tracking features, but you can really do some great stuff with it if you spend enough time with it.
I know 9th said it took him about 2 years of working with it before he got what he wanted out of it, but being an IT major my learning curve was a little better; I learned to do what I wanted to do with it in less than a month.
I just like the hands-on feel that I get with hardware, and that's really the only drawback of software that I can see besides the enablement issuse (but even that's a debatable point at best-remember, musicians say that same thing about drum machine producers).

The once and future Master

all stah
Member since Sep 03rd 2005
23470 posts
Sun Jun-04-06 05:55 AM

20. "YES"
In response to Reply # 0

Here is the thing that I like about it that other people hate: it is so easy to use and pick up on. I learned it in five days, and FL has some dope reloads. ..I don't use it anymore, because I like to be on the same shyt that everyone else is using, so now I use REASON.

The fucked up thing about FL is, if you take that shyt to the studio after doing pre-production, you're fucked. MOst of them niggas in the studios, or in the music business in general, use Logic (mac) or Reason (PC)...That's why I switched. I don't want to be the one mutherfucker in the studio talking french while everybody else is talking english...feel me?

Boy Wonder
Member since Oct 31st 2003
5055 posts
Sun Jun-04-06 01:45 PM

21. "that's quite sad that the reason you don't wanna rock it is to fit in.."
In response to Reply # 20

there's ways around the 'language barrier' though.

The easiest way is to export all your parts as wav. files and then you can import them into your sequencer of choice or if you use Pro Tools M-Powered, Cubase or Sonar you can Rewire FL into the project and save it with FL still being in the file. Though for that to work the comp you open it up on must have FL installed otherwise I don't think that'll work....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/7/b...productions.htm
http://breakbeatproductions.blogspot.com

all stah
Member since Sep 03rd 2005
23470 posts
Sun Jun-04-06 04:31 PM

22. "That's nuts"
In response to Reply # 21

Based on your first solution, you will have to resequence everything.
So i might as well take a snickers to the studio with me, because if I have to resequence everything, I will be there for a while.

And your second solution proves my point. If the studio doest have it installed, then you're screwed. I rather work with what everyone is using. It is easier that way to share production-ideas... I imagine I could bring my laptop with me and have the studio rewire some shyt so they can incorporate my software with everything else, but that's still backwards. It is so simply to just throw my rns file on a cd and load it right into the studio's REASON..piece of cake

It's like in babalyon, when everybody stopped speaking the same langauge, they couldn't build shyt

Lobby Make The Music topic #6842 Previous topic | Next topic