Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Make The Music topic #6512

Subject: "MPC 2000XL vs. ASR 10" Previous topic | Next topic
theMantheMyth
Member since Mar 11th 2005
39988 posts
Mon May-29-06 06:53 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Poll question: MPC 2000XL vs. ASR 10"

I've been fruity loopin' it for four years now, and soon, I hope to have the money to upgrade to a hardware sampler. I've done some research, and for the cash I anticipate having for this (around $1000), the most logical options seem to be used MPC 2000XL's and ASR 10's, neither of which I have much experience on, but I've got ppl who can help. So ppl who've got experience with both, which do you prefer, and why?

If there's something else great in that price range that I've missed, plz let me know. Also, samplers in this price range seem to have about what I need, but if you think it makes way more sense for me to save for something more expensive, plz tell me why.

Poll result (5 votes)
MPC (2 votes)Vote
ASR (3 votes)Vote
Other ($1G price range) (0 votes)Vote
Other (Save More $$$$) (0 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
get both if you can
May 29th 2006
I appreciate your input.
May 29th 2006
      naw
May 30th 2006
           Cool.
May 30th 2006
LOL
May 29th 2006
Huh?
May 30th 2006
Like block said, it's all about what you need to do
May 29th 2006
ASR 10 - but software & MIDI interface may be a better option.
May 30th 2006
I'm not fuckin with a new software option unless I get a new comp.
May 30th 2006
      i started off making beats on an ASR
May 30th 2006
           What are your thoughts on sound quality with the various setups?
May 30th 2006
           RE: i started off making beats on an ASR
May 31st 2006

buildingblock
Charter member
100000 posts
Mon May-29-06 07:10 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "get both if you can"
In response to Reply # 0

if you know how to play keys, get the asr if you plan to use synths and other instruments with your beats
you can bang out good drums with the keys..i used to
the sequencer is a bit stiff, but you can freak it still..i use to go in and edit every note in the asr

but my production took off when i got the mpc and added it to usin' the asr
it easy to program and loop and add more sounds then the asr
the asr is limited to recordin' tracks and you got to bounce down shit
but if you're only gonna sample, and drums is real important, then get the mpc

...a child is born with no state of mind, blind to the ways of mankind, god is smilin' on you and frownin' too, because only god knows what you gonna do...©melle mel

theMantheMyth
39988 posts
Mon May-29-06 07:17 PM

2. "I appreciate your input."
In response to Reply # 1

As far as overall sound, do you find one particularly better than the other?

www.soul2020.com
www.myspace.com/chopsteak

buildingblock
Charter member
100000 posts
Tue May-30-06 12:36 AM

5. "naw"
In response to Reply # 2

i mean the asr has better filters if you filterin' baselines and stuff
i think if you got an ear, you can equalize and whatever on the mixin' board, so i wouldn't get caught up in which sound is thicker or whatever cuz you can always layer them
the asr does have more editin' features than the mpc, but it's trade off is sequencin' and rhythm
while the mpc is a bonafied rhythm machine and has an excellent sequencer, or at least you can do some tricks to get more fluidity out of it

...a child is born with no state of mind, blind to the ways of mankind, god is smilin' on you and frownin' too, because only god knows what you gonna do...©melle mel

theMantheMyth
39988 posts
Tue May-30-06 02:09 PM

11. "Cool."
In response to Reply # 5

www.soul2020.com

msclman99
Charter member
1951 posts
Mon May-29-06 07:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 0

see Dilla's interview about the Pharcyde album...

--------------------------------Sig----------------------------------
"I told Chuck D that his mouth was his Uzi and his words of truth were his bullets." - Russell Simmons - An Open Letter to the Recording Industry

theMantheMyth
39988 posts
Tue May-30-06 12:17 PM

8. "Huh?"
In response to Reply # 3

www.soul2020.com

Kkon El
Member since Feb 20th 2004
3339 posts
Mon May-29-06 07:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Like block said, it's all about what you need to do"
In response to Reply # 0

Out of the 2, the ASR is what you can call a 'true sampler'=meaning it was meant to sample sounds of all types, not just low end frequencies (even though you can get some low end on the ASR, other machines are better for that) but more i line of mid-to-high end sounds and synths.
While an MPC is a sampler as well, it was meant to be used for drums and sequening specifically.
You can use it as a primary sampler-I do and so do most Hip Hop producers-but it is a very versatile machine, as is the ASR, whith which you don't really need another piece of equipment if you're savvy enough and get the sound you're looking for.
But the MPC is probably the best machine on the market for drums and programming, so if that's your thing then I'd go with that.
But if you're not really concerned with the low end as much and it's all about different sounds and you just happen to have a little know-how on playing keys and shords, then the ASR is your best bet.

The once and future Master

bluetiger
Charter member
36728 posts
Tue May-30-06 10:48 AM

6. "ASR 10 - but software & MIDI interface may be a better option."
In response to Reply # 0

it's really about learning to use the tools you have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9KC7uhMY9s
You Know What Love Is.

theMantheMyth
39988 posts
Tue May-30-06 12:15 PM

7. "I'm not fuckin with a new software option unless I get a new comp."
In response to Reply # 6

Which is a possibility, I suppose, but that would probably cost more than a G. But I'm interested to hear why you think that might be a better option.

www.soul2020.com

J_Stew
Member since Jul 06th 2002
22363 posts
Tue May-30-06 12:37 PM

9. "i started off making beats on an ASR"
In response to Reply # 7

it was a friend of mine's. i bought an MPC2000 a couple of years later, i would never go back to any of that after using logic, ableton live, reason, and recycle. it would be a huge step backward in terms of power and ease of usage, not to mention increased workflow productivity. it seems like younger or newer cats assume that since software is cheaper or pirated, that hardware must be better. there are alot of cats like me who came up on hardware but would never go back.

for me, software plus the right midi controllers > hardware

theMantheMyth
39988 posts
Tue May-30-06 02:08 PM

10. "What are your thoughts on sound quality with the various setups?"
In response to Reply # 9

www.soul2020.com

bluetiger
Charter member
36728 posts
Wed May-31-06 03:33 PM

12. "RE: i started off making beats on an ASR"
In response to Reply # 9

>for me, software plus the right midi controllers > hardware

this is about it.

all I really miss about the ASR are the effects. most of them can be recreated in reason/ableton though. plus, I think it makes mixing & mastering easier with the software setup + the portability issue.

if the hardware fails, such as on an asr-10, you'll be crying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9KC7uhMY9s
You Know What Love Is.

Lobby Make The Music topic #6512 Previous topic | Next topic