Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Make The Music topic #6150

Subject: "Bass Like Dilla Did It" Previous topic | Next topic
LiberationTheologist
Member since Sep 20th 2005
358 posts
Thu May-25-06 11:26 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Bass Like Dilla Did It"

I know a how to make your bass thump post has already been made... but I want to know how Dilla did it. Im using Fl Studio and Reason... Has anyone managed to make the bass sounds Dilla made using these programs? If so, I'd love to know how. Thanx in advance.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Bass Like Dilla Did It
May 25th 2006
^^^^reality
May 25th 2006
But on the other hand
May 25th 2006
      RE: But on the other hand
May 25th 2006
I'm not impressed with most of dilla's "bass".....
May 25th 2006
RE: I'm not impressed with most of dilla's "bass".....
May 25th 2006
um... what dilla beats are you listening to?
May 25th 2006
      I'm saying...
May 26th 2006
sine wave, maybe some slight distortion or resonance
May 25th 2006
RE: sine wave, maybe some slight distortion or resonance
May 25th 2006
      RE: sine wave, maybe some slight distortion or resonance
May 25th 2006
i agree with the posts about experimenting, BUT.
May 25th 2006
RE: i agree with the posts about experimenting, BUT.
May 25th 2006
      no doubt.
May 25th 2006
Do what Dilla did. He used his brain and creativity. It doesn't hurt....
May 25th 2006
WTF is this forum for if mofos cant get no tips? jeez.
May 26th 2006
      I gave him a tip. Use his creativity. Playing like Dillla won't do him.....
May 26th 2006
      don't acknowledge him here, yo.
May 26th 2006
           so don't find your own style?
May 27th 2006
Sub Bass or MicroKorg = Dilla's Sweetspot.
May 25th 2006
I need to play the real bass
May 26th 2006
It depends on the sound you're going for
May 26th 2006
Fl..Packs...hip hop...Hip Bass....add some chorus in the mixer...
May 27th 2006

Milkman McNasty
Member since Mar 07th 2006
320 posts
Thu May-25-06 11:37 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "RE: Bass Like Dilla Did It"
In response to Reply # 0

I hate to reply negatively, but I've found its pointless to try to imitate another producers sound, especially basslines... I used to try to get Hi-Tek bass, and it would either end up sounding like a shitty rip-off, or.... well just shit in general.

The main element in Dilla's basslines was creativity, and soul. That's not something you can get tips on in a forum... at least not easily. My point being, try everything for each particular beat. Experiement. BE CREATIVE. There will be a point when you think, I'm gonna fuck with this random bass sound, because it matches the sample real well... and I've been humming this countermelody in my head, that I want to try to freak.

You'll end up coming out with something 100% better than if you try to imitate a certain sound or pattern, because it won't sound forced... it will just flow.

---------------
http://myspace.com/onefunkproductions

The3rdOne
Charter member
9105 posts
Thu May-25-06 12:21 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "^^^^reality"
In response to Reply # 1

Nopayne
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
52628 posts
Thu May-25-06 01:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "But on the other hand"
In response to Reply # 1

It's kind of a technical exercise. I think it's interesting to try to figure out how people did things. Using the same techniques could help you extend upon it to freak the sound in your own way.

I do agree though that it would be lame to figure it out then use it on every song you do.
===========================================
-Me

<----What OKP is listening to this week.

Milkman McNasty
320 posts
Thu May-25-06 02:30 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "RE: But on the other hand"
In response to Reply # 6

Agreed... with some things. Like figuring out what filter was aplied to a sample in one song can help you learn more about samples. I guess if you apply this to basslines in terms of using EQ, filters, compression etc.... then perhaps. But if we are talking sequencing, patterns, notes, feel... the intangibles, then I think you're better off doing your own thing and building your own skills that way.

---------------

Allah
Charter member
47756 posts
Thu May-25-06 12:26 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "I'm not impressed with most of dilla's "bass"....."
In response to Reply # 0

most of the time, he just uses the low end from the original
samples he chopped.

http://www.facebook.com/divineruler
__gigs__
__stuff__

bones
Member since May 22nd 2002
861 posts
Thu May-25-06 01:31 PM

4. "RE: I'm not impressed with most of dilla's "bass"....."
In response to Reply # 3

one of the first things that got me about Dilla, was his bass lines...first beat i rapped over of his, i did because of how the bassline made me feel.

Aeon
Charter member
43870 posts
Thu May-25-06 02:25 PM

7. "um... what dilla beats are you listening to?"
In response to Reply # 3

he almost always played a bass under the sample.

_

shakin your block with a 6 million dollar bop

_

www.davidevanmcdowell.com

Majik43
Member since Mar 17th 2005
6189 posts
Fri May-26-06 12:06 AM

16. "I'm saying..."
In response to Reply # 7

www.myspace.com/worldofmajik

danthrax
Member since Mar 31st 2003
3719 posts
Thu May-25-06 01:47 PM

5. "sine wave, maybe some slight distortion or resonance"
In response to Reply # 0

lots of short notes, lots of space in between

but please, find your own style, homie.

LiberationTheologist
358 posts
Thu May-25-06 02:44 PM

10. "RE: sine wave, maybe some slight distortion or resonance"
In response to Reply # 5

Thanks for the tips... but as far as finding my own style, nowhere in my post did I say I was going to take his style... I expressed my desire to know how he did it... why? because like Premo learning from Marley Marl, I wanna learn the basics he used and freak it my own way. Again, I appreciate the tips, but simply because I didnt express the specifics there is no need to jump to the conclusion that Im bitin homie... I know the number rule in Hip Hop- no bitin HOMIE.

Milkman McNasty
320 posts
Thu May-25-06 05:07 PM

13. "RE: sine wave, maybe some slight distortion or resonance"
In response to Reply # 10

I guess I misinterpretted what you were saying...

here's some basic tips for basslines in general, take this and run with it in whatever direction you may:

1) There are really no rules.

2) Make them thump (post below)

3) For soulful basslines, find the picthes that fit at certain sections of your beat so far... move those pitches around and try different pitch lengths, volumes, and patterns.... but use the main sample/main meoldy as your guide.

As for the synth basses he used, like dude said, fuck with sine waves etc

---------------

Aeon
Charter member
43870 posts
Thu May-25-06 02:43 PM

9. "i agree with the posts about experimenting, BUT."
In response to Reply # 0

i know what it's like. i love the way he played his basses, and i go for that sound.

basically, if you're going for a dilla-esque bass, try an analog synth along the lines of a moog. he made good use of filters too. you'll hear lot of that in his earlier stuff, but as time progressed, he used all different kinds of bass sounds. the magic in his bass was the way he played it, falling just behind or after beats... that way it became more than the bottom end to support the sample/melody... it became a rhythmic & percussive element to the track that gave it a completely different feel.

sometimes he'd use the bass like a kick, to accent the kicks on the 1 & 3. if you listen to his beats carefully, you'll notice that alot of his drum programming was REALLY simple, kick on the one, snare on the 2, especially later on (tracks like Pharcyde's "Runnin" being exceptions)

but the rhythm would be really complex because of how he played the basslines. i always assumed that he'd play the basses out for about 2 or 4 bars before he'd be ready to loop it, maybe even more.

try playing your bass out. if you're not a skilled keyboardist, figure out 4 or so notes that can be transposed and still match the sample and not clash, and practise a few patterns with those notes. then record for 3 or 4 bars with a metronome, but try to miss the metronome some, like just before, just after, and mix in stabs and long holds on the bass.. play against the track some. you'll start to get a better feel for it once you do it a few times.

(this is all assuming you have a keyboard or something... but you can also record notes via your computer keyboard too.. will be a lil harder though)

_

_

LiberationTheologist
358 posts
Thu May-25-06 02:47 PM

11. "RE: i agree with the posts about experimenting, BUT."
In response to Reply # 9

Thank you for your honesty and these gems.

Aeon
Charter member
43870 posts
Thu May-25-06 05:33 PM

14. "no doubt."
In response to Reply # 11

_

_

jambone
Member since Aug 08th 2005
24803 posts
Thu May-25-06 04:34 PM

12. "Do what Dilla did. He used his brain and creativity. It doesn't hurt...."
In response to Reply # 0

...try using your own intellect and creativity. You might like the results.

<--- we've got bush!

Majik43
Member since Mar 17th 2005
6189 posts
Fri May-26-06 12:08 AM

17. "WTF is this forum for if mofos cant get no tips? jeez."
In response to Reply # 12

www.myspace.com/worldofmajik

jambone
Member since Aug 08th 2005
24803 posts
Fri May-26-06 08:35 AM

19. "I gave him a tip. Use his creativity. Playing like Dillla won't do him....."
In response to Reply # 17

...any good. It sets him back. See Kev Brown. Dilla did his basslines like how most great musicians/beatmakers do or have done: they sit down and challenge themselves to come up with their own style and way of doing things. If he wants to be good producer/beatmaker, that is the first rule you got to learn.

<--- we've got bush!

Aeon
Charter member
43870 posts
Fri May-26-06 09:12 AM

20. "don't acknowledge him here, yo."
In response to Reply # 17

PLEASE.

he's not a producer/beatmaker/musician, his words hold no weight.

_

_

danthrax
Member since Mar 31st 2003
3719 posts
Sat May-27-06 02:35 AM

23. "so don't find your own style?"
In response to Reply # 20

zaire
Member since Aug 17th 2003
2533 posts
Thu May-25-06 11:54 PM

15. "Sub Bass or MicroKorg = Dilla's Sweetspot."
In response to Reply # 0

at least for sounds/patches

but it takes more than a condom to blow that back out, feel me

kalonji4679
Member since Mar 13th 2004
474 posts
Fri May-26-06 04:56 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
18. "I need to play the real bass"
In response to Reply # 0

my next things that i want to get is a reall bass and a mini korg.

Dr. Kwest is a mysterious character created by Kalonji. Influenced by Sun Ra and many others, he started sampling in 2006. He had released several Beat Tapes and remixes.

He hosts also a radio show on Radio Panik in Brussels every second and fourth monda

Nopayne
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
52628 posts
Fri May-26-06 11:30 AM

21. "It depends on the sound you're going for"
In response to Reply # 18

I have a real bass but I prefer to use a sampled/synth bass 80% of the time for hiphop.
===========================================
-Me

<----What OKP is listening to this week.

Seven
Member since Dec 11th 2004
10708 posts
Sat May-27-06 02:08 AM

22. "Fl..Packs...hip hop...Hip Bass....add some chorus in the mixer..."
In response to Reply # 0

....play with the filters a bit...
voila

Lobby Make The Music topic #6150 Previous topic | Next topic