Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Make The Music topic #6091

Subject: "anyone ELSE running through blank cd's like water?" Previous topic | Next topic
Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44846 posts
Wed May-24-06 07:18 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"anyone ELSE running through blank cd's like water?"

i have so many cd's with just one beat on em... or one beat and a grip of older ones, or a grip of "in progress" tracks

i mean this is actualy THE most vital part of my perosnal process... cause a CT beat can often take months to finish, i mean honestly a lot of shit that ive put up goes through a LOT of changes, sometimes minor tweaks, sometimes major overhauls. i have found several disks of different versions of tracks... so i make a beat, show some folks, brun a disc, listen to it, marinate on it for a while, and go back to it... ive got a few beats that i just havent been able to get right for well over a year, i got one that ive been sitting on for two years and still making changes... obviously thats not two years straight, i wont fuck with some of them for months at a time and go back when im in a slump or whatever...

and of course im not fucking with it like that unless i think its got potential to be something pretty good, and aside from that anything that has potential should be given the right treatment imo.

but this method has got me buying a 50 or hundred stack at LEAST once a month. the last two months i have been through 150 plus two 10 packs. its insane. about 1/4 of them DID go to actual mp3/audio cd's of my own collection......

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
get this
May 24th 2006
RE: get this
May 24th 2006
May 25th 2006
May 25th 2006
      WRONG
May 25th 2006
      RE: WRONG
May 26th 2006
      and as far as mp3 goes..
May 25th 2006
           RE: and as far as mp3 goes..
May 26th 2006
May 28th 2006
                Yup. A lot of big name artists are doing that now
May 28th 2006
Jun 01st 2006
                You should listen to your tracks as compressed MP3's
Jun 04th 2006
RE: anyone ELSE running through blank cd's like water?
May 24th 2006
its not even for mixing though
May 24th 2006
May 24th 2006
May 24th 2006
May 25th 2006
Find a CD-RW brand that actually will play in stereos that you are
May 25th 2006
HELL YES.
May 25th 2006
get one of those radio transmitters for the car
May 25th 2006
RE: get one of those radio transmitters for the car
May 25th 2006
Tip #1: NEVER save your beats and tracks as MP3's
Jun 03rd 2006
RE: Tip #1: NEVER save your beats and tracks as MP3's
Jun 04th 2006
no, NOT "always"
Jun 04th 2006

haji rana pinya
Charter member
53604 posts
Wed May-24-06 08:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "get this"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=10795

welcome to the present

www.dumhi.com

moonsatellite
Charter member
1646 posts
Wed May-24-06 10:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RE: get this"
In response to Reply # 1

mp3 player - not the best move as far as beats go.
you'd have to save your files as .wavs on the player, and if you're the 99k, 24 bit type, that'll eat up your player's space in no time. And only a fool would critique their beat mixes using mp3's.

... Charter member, but I don't post much. LAZERS.

haji rana pinya
Charter member
53604 posts
Thu May-25-06 07:00 AM

7. "..."
In response to Reply # 3

www.dumhi.com

Kurtis Carve
Member since Oct 02nd 2002
2189 posts
Thu May-25-06 10:49 AM

10. "............."
In response to Reply # 3

Signed,
Dr. Carve
www.myspace.com/kurtiscarve

con one
Member since Mar 23rd 2005
582 posts
Thu May-25-06 12:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "WRONG"
In response to Reply # 3

ok, i think you meant 24bit/ 96k... and a) most mp3 players can read a 96k file and b) CDs are 16bit 44.1k wav files anyway.

::con?one::
www.conone.net
www.myspace.com/conone

moonsatellite
Charter member
1646 posts
Fri May-26-06 06:38 PM

16. "RE: WRONG"
In response to Reply # 13

>ok, i think you meant 24bit/ 96k... and a) most mp3 players
>can read a 96k file and b) CDs are 16bit 44.1k wav files
>anyway.
>
>::con?one::
>www.conone.net
>www.myspace.com/conone

muhfucka, u know what i meant, i typed that @ work on 4 hrs sleep..
turn off the caps and don't wet your panties

con one
582 posts
Thu May-25-06 12:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "and as far as mp3 goes.."
In response to Reply # 3

well, considering the amount of emailling that goes on now, i think it's pretty wise to critique your tracks using mp3, because there's a good chance, as a working producer, you're going to wind up emailling them as mp3 to someone.
I'm tyoing this as i'm dropping mp3's into an email for an hbo project right now.

www.conone.net
www.myspace.com/conone

moonsatellite
Charter member
1646 posts
Fri May-26-06 06:40 PM

17. "RE: and as far as mp3 goes.."
In response to Reply # 14

go on and record album material over compressed-ass mp3's.
ask any engineer, the shit's foolish.

con one
582 posts
Sun May-28-06 10:11 AM

18. "RE: and as far as mp3 goes.."
In response to Reply # 17

i don't know how many placements you have OR what your credentials are, but mp3 is THE current shopping standard right now. and you know what, people ARE 2 tracking vocals over mp3 and then flying the vox into the protools session once the paperwork's done.
that's the reality. most people want stuff emailed to them, and nobody wants BWAV being sent.

www.conone.net
www.myspace.com/conone

micMajestic
Charter member
22938 posts
Sun May-28-06 12:08 PM

19. "Yup. A lot of big name artists are doing that now"
In response to Reply # 18

which is why i definitely had a good chuckle to myself at dude getting extra pompous with it. It is always interesting to hear what people think are industry standards.

www.myspace.com/mrwizworld
Mr. Wiz rocking live
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=759046132&n=2

moonsatellite
Charter member
1646 posts
Thu Jun-01-06 11:11 PM

20. "RE: and as far as mp3 goes.."
In response to Reply # 18
Thu Jun-01-06 11:12 PM by moonsatellite

>>i don't know how many placements you have OR what your credentials are..

that's right.
you don't.

MC Rucifee at work
Member since Jan 11th 2005
1356 posts
Sun Jun-04-06 02:15 PM

24. "You should listen to your tracks as compressed MP3's"
In response to Reply # 17

If your mix sounds bad on them, then your mix will sound bad where many consumers will hear the tracks. A terrible mistake is only listening to a mix on great monitors.

LANSTARR
Member since Jan 04th 2003
418 posts
Wed May-24-06 10:15 PM

2. "RE: anyone ELSE running through blank cd's like water?"
In response to Reply # 0

Yeah man like when im mixing a beat I mix it on my monitor... listen on my home entertianment system... then the last step is my whip... so I'll go thru like 20 cds mixing one track... adjust something a lil burn another cd

(((BEATS BY LANSTARR)))

www.lanstarr.com
www.dirtybathwater.com
www.myspace.com/lanstarr

Cold Truth
44846 posts
Wed May-24-06 11:18 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "its not even for mixing though"
In response to Reply # 2

its more for arrangements... mixing is a part of this but its mainly for what changes i shuold make, instruments and sounds that should be removed, subtle things that yo8u notice just by casual listening...

moonsatellite
Charter member
1646 posts
Wed May-24-06 10:48 PM

4. "RE: anyone ELSE running through blank cd's like water?"
In response to Reply # 0

yeah, i feel u

Vocab
Member since Mar 02nd 2005
421 posts
Wed May-24-06 11:09 PM

5. "RE: anyone ELSE running through blank cd's like water?"
In response to Reply # 4

yea. i usually just e-mail it to an additional e-mail account and marinate on the mp3 via my ipod. if im playing it for people, the digital playback does it enough justice that i'm satisfied.

Milkman McNasty
Member since Mar 07th 2006
320 posts
Thu May-25-06 10:06 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "RE: anyone ELSE running through blank cd's like water?"
In response to Reply # 0

Yup....

and the problem is, the last spindle I bought were the blank printable ones, which are supposed to just be for sending out beat CD... but since I havent gotten another shitty spindle yet, I'm usin those for everything, including mixing, personal listening CD's... and those shits are def more expensive..

luckily for mixing purposes I got my beats on my laptop, so I can plug that into almost any system (monitors, stereo, shitty speakers, headphones).... except the car, which I'll figure out

---------------
http://myspace.com/onefunkproductions

micMajestic
Charter member
22938 posts
Thu May-25-06 10:15 AM

9. "Find a CD-RW brand that actually will play in stereos that you are"
In response to Reply # 0

using. Older stereos are finicky about CD-RW's burned as audio discs, but some do work. I use Sony CD-RW's just wait for a sale on a good brand. Its definitely worth a shot, you can always erase the CD-RW when you want to make changes. And although they burn slow, you said you are only putting a few tracks on there.

www.myspace.com/mrwizworld
Mr. Wiz rocking live
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=759046132&n=2

Detroit Defender
Member since Nov 21st 2005
30000 posts
Thu May-25-06 03:02 PM

15. "HELL YES."
In response to Reply # 9

i absolutely REFUSE to waste CD-Rs with one or two songs.

get a rewritable disc, it's the best way to go (provided that you can play them back on your CD players of choice). they USED to be expensive as hell (when i first got my burner years ago they were like $25 a piece).

if you've got a modern CD walkman or something that plays CD-RWs you can rig those up to your home stereo or car system.

RESTORE THE ROAR.

http://cristianrios.com/assets/detroit/detroit.html

ANYTHING GOES mixtape:
http://tinyurl.com/6n5tjk
http://tinyurl.com/4mjk5u

PPOLS

Allah
Charter member
47756 posts
Thu May-25-06 10:54 AM

11. "get one of those radio transmitters for the car"
In response to Reply # 0

the ones that go with ipod, you could use your laptop or other
pda and play it back that way, otherwise, stick with the cd's.........

http://www.facebook.com/divineruler
__gigs__
__stuff__

Milkman McNasty
Member since Mar 07th 2006
320 posts
Thu May-25-06 11:32 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "RE: get one of those radio transmitters for the car"
In response to Reply # 11

good point... was thinkin about this a while back but it slipped out of my mind, as most of my thoughts tend to do

---------------
http://myspace.com/onefunkproductions

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Sat Jun-03-06 06:01 PM

21. "Tip #1: NEVER save your beats and tracks as MP3's"
In response to Reply # 0

Keep in mind that when you convert from WAV to MP3, you are losing 80% of the sound quality. It may be a size issue, but if you're serious about making music, save them uncompressed, ALWAYS. Save them on CD-R, DVD-R, or buy an external hard drive. Archive and save.

Anyone who is serious about making "good sounding" should never degrade their music to a format such as MP3, which is "lossy", at least during production. When you have a final mix and it's ready to be released, then you can convert to MP3, but as you're making the song, never.

With connections being fast these days, producers and rappers can send lossless files to each other.

http://www.myspace.com/crutmusic
http://www.musicforamerica.org/node/104520
http://jbookmusic.blogspot.com
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johmbolaya
http://www.cafepress.com/mufalaka
http://www.cduniverse.com/default.asp?style=music&frm=lk_johnbook

con one
582 posts
Sun Jun-04-06 07:48 AM

22. "RE: Tip #1: NEVER save your beats and tracks as MP3's"
In response to Reply # 21

you're right, it's a compressed format and certainly not perfect, but as i stated above, most a&r's, production coordinaters, etc... want mp3's. i'd love to be able to email people .BWAV all day, but you have to cater to what the person on the other side wants.
personally, the stuff on my studio computer's drives are all saved as .BWAV, but my internet computer has all the tracks saves as 192k .mp3 for the times when someone does request something by email. no WORKING producer can ignore mp3 right now.

www.conone.net
www.myspace.com/conone

Cold Truth
44846 posts
Sun Jun-04-06 10:41 AM

23. "no, NOT "always""
In response to Reply # 21

i hate these hard and fast rules to things

i tend to save them in wav and then convert those to seperate mp3's anyways, but i dont necessarily need super high quality files at all times. sometimes i'll include them in with regular songs in my mp3 comps...

now if i have a listening session with an a&r, its a wav file
if i have an mc, im sending a wav file
it doenst mean there are practical reasons to save as an mp3 though

Lobby Make The Music topic #6091 Previous topic | Next topic