Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Make The Music topic #5990

Subject: "OKDJs: Warped Records Help Needed.....(yeah Im new it was my 1st outdoor..." Previous topic | Next topic
So Plush
Member since Aug 11th 2005
926 posts
Tue May-23-06 07:54 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"OKDJs: Warped Records Help Needed.....(yeah Im new it was my 1st outdoor..."

first didn't catch it, just thought i had a skip....and look down and my 12" single of Don't Stop Till You Get Enough buckled up like it was in hot grease....

Is there any way to fix or am I just sunk.....

Yes I've learned get an awning of some kind next time...

=========================================
"Let a sissy answer" -- HotThyng76 aka SoWhat replying to what 'sissy house' music is or is not.

"link yoself up to your shelf and pull out Spkrbxxx..."--D4 when asked for a link to 'Flip Flop Rock' by Big Boi fe

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I've heard....
May 23rd 2006
the pieces of glass work in an oven as well
May 24th 2006
RE: I've heard....
May 25th 2006
      RE: I've heard....
May 26th 2006
the BEST way i've ever used:
May 24th 2006
RE: OKDJs: Warped Records Help Needed.....(yeah Im new it was my 1st out...
Jun 07th 2006
This might sound a lil extreme...
Jun 08th 2006
you could also try this product.
Jun 08th 2006

PRYM8
Charter member
1446 posts
Tue May-23-06 11:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I've heard...."
In response to Reply # 0

... but never done this before that sticking the album between two peices of glass and leaving it in the sun should work. I also remember reading in a magazine that putting your turntable in the sun and leaving the warped record on it while its spinnig should work. Of course... thats what I heard.

<<<<<<<My first born!!! Fresh of my flesh!!!

- I got me a XBOX 360 bootch!!!! Add me! - DJPRYM8
http://live.xbox.com/member/DJPRYM8
http://welcometothehabitat.tumblr.com/

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Wed May-24-06 05:59 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "the pieces of glass work in an oven as well"
In response to Reply # 1

but its a little more dangerous, cuz it gets hotter faster, and could melt the records

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

Saponi Boy
Member since Mar 10th 2006
201 posts
Thu May-25-06 10:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "RE: I've heard...."
In response to Reply # 1

>... but never done this before that sticking the album
>between two peices of glass and leaving it in the sun should
>work. I also remember reading in a magazine that putting your
>turntable in the sun and leaving the warped record on it while
>its spinnig should work. Of course... thats what I heard.

leaving it in the sun w/platter turning aint gonna work, it's just gonna warp up more. Ive never done the glass thing...it might work...ima definitely try it

www.myspace.com/djkachi
www.myspace.com/thundercutz

con one
Member since Mar 23rd 2005
582 posts
Fri May-26-06 07:29 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "RE: I've heard...."
In response to Reply # 4

it works, and very well at that. i've done it a ton of times over the years. most recently was abut a month ago on my 'power of zeus'

::con?one::
www.conone.net
www.myspace.com/conone

con one
Member since Mar 23rd 2005
582 posts
Wed May-24-06 04:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "the BEST way i've ever used:"
In response to Reply # 0

i buy ALOT of records, and i'm really lazy when i come back in with a ton of cheap ass dollar bin records, so sometimes there's one that gets warped and i need it. take a technics 1200 (i tried with the vestax pdx2000 and it doesn't work) and put it out in the sun with the dustcover on and no slipmat. leave it there for about 20 minutes so that the metal platter warms up a bit. put the record on the platter and turn the table on (it works if you do it w/o power too, just not as well for some reason). keep an eye on it and when you see your record is flat again, bring it inside. DON'T TRY TO PLAY THE RECORD for at least an hour!!!!

::con?one::
www.conone.net
www.myspace.com/conone

ORiGiNOSEed
Charter member
2215 posts
Wed Jun-07-06 05:27 PM

6. "RE: OKDJs: Warped Records Help Needed.....(yeah Im new it was my 1st out..."
In response to Reply # 0

if got the cheese try this.... http://www.amusicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?sku=AAIRTIGHTDT01 depending where you live some record stores have this and will flatten a joint for you free a small fee.

JayPeah
Member since Jun 07th 2006
246 posts
Thu Jun-08-06 12:06 AM

7. "This might sound a lil extreme..."
In response to Reply # 0

What you will need:

A) 1 Wooden Cutting/Chopping Board

B) 2 Turntable Platters Removed From The Turntable. (This probably could be substituted for something of similar weight and size.)

C) Something to really clean your warped records, your platters, and your cutting board with. Windex, GruvGlide, Soap & Water etc...

D) A Conventional Oven. (Told you it might sound extreme.)

Clean off everything. Clean your platters' surfaces, the cutting board, and the vynil. We will be heating this up at low temperatures, but we still don't want anything that may melt and adhere onto the wax, or dust or anything. If you don't have proper things to wash your wax off you may use warm water and soap. It works fine. Pat dry with a towel, maybe fold it up inside it, and blow dry. Make sure this record is dry.

Place 1of the platters face up on the cutting board. Next place the warped vinyl with the most convexed side upwards. Try to line up the spindle holes the best that you can. Then place the other platter face down on top of the record - lining up the holes. It should appear like this: )|(

Note: If you are using Technics turntables, you may wish to remove the magnets from the platters. I happen to have 2 pairs of platters, one pair came from my old set of stantons and this is what i'm using.

The cool thing is that the platters are outter beveled at the edges. Your wax will sit with its lead-in's on it instead of the grooves. This will also help prevent scratching your record when you do this. It also prevents any unnecesary metal touching the grooves. The platters have blacking on them so that will absorb much of the heat, you don't have to worry about the metal frying your record. It's all really safe trust me.

Set your oven to Bake @ 220 Degrees. Make sure the rack is in the middle. If you are using an oven with analog controls you may wish to set this to 210 just to be safe incase your oven gets hotter than it says on the dial.

(I experimented with temperatures from 170-200 and still didn't get the vinyl to break its consistancy and remold... sure it got floppy but nothing happend. It just popped back the way it was. So try to shoot for 210-220)

You want 220 degress because this is the breaking temperature that the wax is going to become plyable to the point where it will actually sit in the position it forms too. It's also a very low temperature and you won't have to worry about fucking up your grooves.

Next set the cutting board, platters, and record inside the oven. I preffer to do this while it's preheating, I think heating up the wax gradually is a good thing. You're gonna wanna leave this in there for about 15 -17 minutes.

After 15-17 minutes on bake @ 220 degrees, shut the oven off, and open the door. Let the wax cool inside the oven slowly. After another 10 or 15 minutes or so, carefully take the cutting board out of the oven and set it some where to cool. The cooling method here is key. Really, you need to let it slowly cool while between the platters so that it takes it's new straight shape. It molds to conform in the oven, now it has to sit. Once it is cool and the platters are only slightly warm to the touch it's safe to remove the record.

Next, examine the record. It should be straight as an arrow with all groves intact. Congratulations, you now don't have to replace that peice of wax.

Next Try playing the record. Surprising how it isn't distorted at all, and there's no drop in audio quality? Amazing!

Note: Some warps, especially small "finger-sized" ones (the ones that skip and make a record unplayable) might require you to attempt this again. You may need to do it a little longer, or increase the temp. I wouldn't recommend temp increase for a prolonged amount of time and surely not over 225 degrees.

--------------------------------------------------------------
My Ish....
http://www.myspace.com/jaypeah

JayPeah
Member since Jun 07th 2006
246 posts
Thu Jun-08-06 12:15 AM

8. "you could also try this product."
In response to Reply # 7

http://www.htfr.com/more-info/?catno=MR38410

--------------------------------------------------------------
My Ish....
http://www.myspace.com/jaypeah

Lobby Make The Music topic #5990 Previous topic | Next topic