Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Make The Music topic #5965

Subject: "how do you get away with saying ridiculous shit?" Previous topic | Next topic
danthrax
Member since Mar 31st 2003
3719 posts
Tue May-23-06 05:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"how do you get away with saying ridiculous shit?"

Some artists can get on stage and say the craziest things in their lyrics -- from 2 Live Crew to Eminem to Slick Rick. They're obviously not meant to be taken literally, and the fans get into it and laugh and sing along.

But some artists try the same thing and miss the mark. And when they screw up, we take them VERY literally, even though they were obviously trying to make a joke.

I remember seeing this local hiphop dude doing an a capella about boning all kinds of famous girls -- from Alicia Keys to Avril Lavigne. It was supposed to be sort of a callback to "dreams of fuckin an R&B bitch". When Biggie did his, it came across as charming, silly, witty. When this dude did his callback, it was just witless and irritating.

When the crowd turned on him he said, "hey, I'm just trying to have fun." He obviously failed. Now, when I think back, I feel bad for him. Where did he go wrong?

I ask you, my creative peers, where do you draw that line?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
my theory
May 23rd 2006
or, they're trying to get attention
May 23rd 2006
3 words: Get. Some. Fans.
May 24th 2006
yeah, you can get away with a lot when you're famous
May 24th 2006

danthrax
3719 posts
Tue May-23-06 05:21 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "my theory"
In response to Reply # 0

Is it's a perception game. B.I.G. could take advantage of the fact that it was a fat dude saying this shit. Eminem, a white dude. Slick Rick, his semi-british accent.

When you don't fit a conventional image, you might think of that as an obstacle. But if you twist it the right way, you can turn it into an asset.

It's easier to be funny if you look or sound funny.

Mr. Merge
Member since Dec 29th 2005
1947 posts
Tue May-23-06 06:12 PM

2. "or, they're trying to get attention"
In response to Reply # 1

and going about it the wrong way? ahhh who cares?!

---------------------------------------
http://redesignyourmindmuzik.podomatic.com/

www.soundcloud.com/redesignyourmindmuzik

www.redesignyourmindmuzik.bandcamp.com/

www.youtube.com/user/thesirmittens

Kkon El
Member since Feb 20th 2004
3339 posts
Wed May-24-06 11:34 AM

3. "3 words: Get. Some. Fans."
In response to Reply # 0

The once and future Master

danthrax
3719 posts
Wed May-24-06 01:08 PM

4. "yeah, you can get away with a lot when you're famous"
In response to Reply # 3

it just might be that simple.

Lobby Make The Music topic #5965 Previous topic | Next topic