Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Make The Music topic #5840

Subject: "Technology and Music" Previous topic | Next topic
darko
Charter member
101 posts
Mon May-22-06 02:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Technology and Music"

Does anyone else feel that technology is taking away from music? I'm all for advancements in technology in most fields but when you have programs capable of chopping up your samples for you, putting them in key, time stretching the samples, and sequencing the samples for you, I kind of feel like it's taking away from the music. I realize that all that really matters is the final product, but I still take pride in chopping up the samples manually, searching for drums which match the samples, and actually putting time into making beats rather then making a beat in 10 minutes. Will you feel the same way about music when someone creates a program that will automate the whole process where you can specify the type of beat you want, the BPM, the instruments to use and the program will download the instruments and arrange everything on it's own?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Technology and Music
May 22nd 2006
when technology can make music automatically
May 22nd 2006
the cream ALWAYS rises to the top n/m
May 22nd 2006
RE: Technology and Music
May 22nd 2006
it's not the technology, it's the LAZY ASS PEOPLE using the technology
May 23rd 2006
but couln't your agruement also include...
May 24th 2006

LANSTARR
Member since Jan 04th 2003
418 posts
Mon May-22-06 06:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "RE: Technology and Music"
In response to Reply # 0

I feel you on some points. Tech definitely makes things easier and faster to do, but that doesn't necessarily mean the end product will come out better. At the end of the day its the man behind the tool, not the tool. Also, the same thing can be said about us people who use the older hardware and tech. We too are taking the easy way using electronic instruments rather than learning to play each instruments and spending time learning music theory so we can compose music rather than electronically sequence. It is all relative.

(((BEATS BY LANSTARR)))

www.lanstarr.com
www.dirtybathwater.com
www.myspace.com/lanstarr

danthrax
Member since Mar 31st 2003
3719 posts
Mon May-22-06 09:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "when technology can make music automatically"
In response to Reply # 0

genuine creativity will be that much more valuable.

Something that chops up your samples for you -- it just makes what you do with those chops that much more important. Now everyone can chop. What can YOU do?

I can't WAIT until they make a pop-hit generator. The sheer greed of it will devestate the entire industry. Someone who manages to do something that the hit generator can't or won't do will be a hero.

Seven
Member since Dec 11th 2004
10708 posts
Mon May-22-06 09:55 PM

3. "the cream ALWAYS rises to the top n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

DaKidFromHaiti
Member since Feb 19th 2006
1211 posts
Mon May-22-06 09:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "RE: Technology and Music"
In response to Reply # 0

Yep, I was tellin' that to my brother the other, new technology is really killing music in my opinion.

Allah
Charter member
47756 posts
Tue May-23-06 12:54 PM

5. "it's not the technology, it's the LAZY ASS PEOPLE using the technology"
In response to Reply # 0

Peace.

http://www.facebook.com/divineruler
__gigs__
__stuff__

con one
Member since Mar 23rd 2005
582 posts
Wed May-24-06 10:17 AM

6. "but couln't your agruement also include..."
In response to Reply # 0

couldn't the same arguement yu make be made by people who feel sampling technology in general takes away from music? technology does nothing more than give the musician more options to try different things. there was a time when people had to build a house using manual saws, hammers and hand-powered drills. now we have power tools, and can build bigger, more elaborate buildings.
all the technology in the world won't make you a better musician, it just gives you more room to play.. imho

::con?one::
www.conone.net
www.myspace.com/conone

Lobby Make The Music topic #5840 Previous topic | Next topic