Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Make The Music topic #5268

Subject: "software keyboard synths vs hardware keyboard synths" Previous topic | Next topic
buildingblock
Charter member
100000 posts
Thu May-18-06 06:55 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"software keyboard synths vs hardware keyboard synths"

this isn't an arguement i've seen yet
just recently, i lost my 1080 (well, i had to give it back..it wasn't mine) along with my atc-1
now, i have reason 2.5, absynth, fm-10, pro 53, and a gang of software synth modules, which i've used here and there
besides latency issues, which do you prefer? the hardware keyboard, or controllin' the software keyboard from a controller keyboard?
easier to program? hw or sw?
better sounds? hw or sw?
best bass module? hw or sw?
add on

...a child is born with no state of mind, blind to the ways of mankind, god is smilin' on you and frownin' too, because only god knows what you gonna do...©melle mel

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
i hate software for this type of stuff
May 18th 2006
graveyard shift
May 18th 2006
graveyard shift
May 18th 2006
I have used a proteus sound module and yamaha keyboard before.....
May 18th 2006
as someone who has extensively used both...
May 18th 2006

haji rana pinya
Charter member
53604 posts
Thu May-18-06 07:14 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "i hate software for this type of stuff"
In response to Reply # 0

but i still dont know what im doing with it so..

*shrug*

i just like something that has sounds built in and you simply have to flip thru to pick what you want to play and then play it

why you up so early bruce?

www.dumhi.com

buildingblock
Charter member
100000 posts
Thu May-18-06 08:22 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"graveyard shift"

2-9
then sleep all day
then back to the same shit
lol

...a child is born with no state of mind, blind to the ways of mankind, god is smilin' on you and frownin' too, because only god knows what you gonna do...©melle mel

buildingblock
Charter member
100000 posts
Thu May-18-06 08:22 AM

3. "graveyard shift"
In response to Reply # 1

2-9
then sleep all day
then back to the same shit
lol

Allah
Charter member
47756 posts
Thu May-18-06 07:34 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "I have used a proteus sound module and yamaha keyboard before....."
In response to Reply # 0

now I just use WHATEVER softsynth I have available (really
felling linplug octopus, surge, a1 in cubase SOMETIMES, but
the ultimate one in my opinion, is the Korg Legacy Digital
wavestation!!!!!!!!!!). I like to draw in my notes,
and I can actually LITERALLY draw them in with my tablet pc.
I suppose my ears aren't sensitive enough to notice the difference
quality wise of some sounds between the hardware and software
world, I do know though it's more sounds available faster in
the software world. Plus, alot of times, I just sample
a one note stab or sustain from a particular softsynth, then
load it into a sampler, to conserve cpu. That was more difficult
(i.e. not an option in my case) using hardware. That proteus
joint was cool though I suppose. Peace.

http://www.facebook.com/divineruler
__gigs__
__stuff__

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44805 posts
Thu May-18-06 10:04 AM

4. "as someone who has extensively used both..."
In response to Reply # 0

>just recently, i lost my 1080 (well, i had to give it back..it
>wasn't mine)

sorry to hear that.. great module.

>controller keyboard?
im not bg on midi control, not that i dislike it just dont use it for anything then to play. that said my yamaha cbx-k2 works just fine, thuogh the best keybed was my xp-80. my triton felt like a toy.

>easier to program? hw or sw?

software, by a mile, though when i had my motif es rack the editor sets it up like a vst and that was by far the easiest editing- and the deepest overall editing for a rompler type machine-that i have ever suied, sfotware or hardware.

>better sounds? hw or sw?

this depends... what sounds, and which module? i have collossus. the piano and rhodes alone murk any you will find in a hardware module. its organs are limited in number but very high in quality. strings, eh... the fantom x excels there. motif has amazing flutes. triton has some great pad sounds. vapor and atmosphere have some amazing synths as well, though limited programability.

the massive amount of wav data available on a software format (usually) makes for much better quality for "organic" type sounds.
the Big Three products-motif, triton, fantom, and their siblings shine with their effects sections, which vst instruments havent really matched. sampletank and sonik synth 2, whihc i have also owned, have the same effects programs and they arent anywhere near as awesome as my motif es was; the fantom line has some great ones as well. i am not all that fond of the tritons effects section. you can build a decent effects through things like waves, but you really need products like Guitar Rig to begin to get the kind of processing power you find in these hardware modules...

>best bass module? hw or sw?

all i know is that Trilogy is awesome, and beats any bass i have heard in the many keyabords and modules ive owned.

that said, my prefference is a hybrid of both, since everything offers something different in terms of strength and weakness.

the proteus amnd tr rack had sounds that were more "interesting" though the proteus had some DOPE organs and bass while the tr shined (as usual with korg) with synth sounds and its synth engine. the proteus had the easiest effects to prgram with its knob setup...

plus vst's have automation options which are very helpful and when aptly applied can stimulate some great ideas..

anyhow, thats my long winded 2 cents...

Lobby Make The Music topic #5268 Previous topic | Next topic