Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Make The Music topic #5240

Subject: "OkayPlayer Bassist" Previous topic | Next topic
DustysouthDJ
Member since Nov 10th 2003
192 posts
Thu May-18-06 01:41 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"OkayPlayer Bassist"

Any of you know about any books magizines or web sites for bassist that are not just rock or bass snobs? cant really find anything for r&b and hip hop players out there. I know i'm not the only one looking. maybe this would get more traffic in the lesson

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
This might be more a Lesson post unless you can tie it into
May 18th 2006
RE: This might be more a Lesson post unless you can tie it into
May 18th 2006
      most bass player websites are for 40+ elitist douches.....
May 18th 2006
           ^^^^^^^^ esp. since stylistic elements vary rather a lot with
May 29th 2006
good website for r&b bass players
May 18th 2006
RE: OkayPlayer Bassist
May 19th 2006
May 19th 2006
May 21st 2006
May 21st 2006
      EQ and compression will help.
May 23rd 2006
May 22nd 2006
you dont really need a class...
May 23rd 2006
      RE: you dont really need a class...
May 23rd 2006
May 23rd 2006
May 23rd 2006
May 23rd 2006
In my experience, Bass Player magazine was always pretty good.
May 23rd 2006
RE: In my experience, Bass Player magazine was always pretty good.
May 25th 2006
thats cuz of the new editor....
May 28th 2006
      He's been the editor for a minute now...
May 29th 2006
May 24th 2006
*still moonwalking*
May 24th 2006
Good post...
May 28th 2006
A real good dexterity exercise (slightly advanced)...
May 28th 2006
      Thanks for the tip...
May 29th 2006
Jun 02nd 2006

InstruMental
Member since Nov 10th 2005
12463 posts
Thu May-18-06 02:09 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "This might be more a Lesson post unless you can tie it into"
In response to Reply # 0

production some kind of way

That said, are you looking for rudiments? Or more advanced stylistic insight?

<---Okay Jima (© Bridgetown)

http://www.myspace.com/musicphilosophy
http://www.myspace.com/icapinstrumental <---updated 5/31/07
http://www.soundclick.com/realsoonthemental <---NEW

DustysouthDJ
192 posts
Thu May-18-06 02:21 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: This might be more a Lesson post unless you can tie it into"
In response to Reply # 1

both or either. have not really found any good info on other bass players like myself. they all define "hip hop" as a style or swing. but not really as its own music

Ayatollah Watts
Member since Jul 29th 2002
2920 posts
Thu May-18-06 05:35 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "most bass player websites are for 40+ elitist douches....."
In response to Reply # 2

THIS might be the best site for you to find what you want...

@TheBlackZappa

InstruMental
Member since Nov 10th 2005
12463 posts
Mon May-29-06 12:13 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
24. "^^^^^^^^ esp. since stylistic elements vary rather a lot with"
In response to Reply # 3

pretty much everything except the drums. The bass and harmony (if either are even present) aren't locked into any type of pattern, voicing, anything like that; they just have to fit with the drums. Least, that's what pretty much every OKProducer will tell you, and a lot of cats elsewhere too.

Me, I'm a HUGE fan of a good bassline in an instrumental, and I frequently conceive mine on bass just to chase the salient characteristics the instrument can bring to the role.

<---Okay Jima (© Bridgetown)

http://www.myspace.com/musicphilosophy
http://www.myspace.com/icapinstrumental <---updated 5/31/07
http://www.soundclick.com/realsoonthemental <---NEW

OkayBassPlayer
Member since Dec 14th 2004
75 posts
Thu May-18-06 09:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "good website for r&b bass players"
In response to Reply # 0

hope this helps

www.gospelchops.com

click on "shed"

its a great website to learn some runs and pick up a few licks...

great if you play bass, keys, organ, drums, and guitar

Check out my music:
http://www.myspace.com/frontlineband
http://www.myspace.com/davidsalliance

Check me out:
http://www.myspace.com/jprice21xct

DustysouthDJ
192 posts
Fri May-19-06 03:36 AM

5. "RE: OkayPlayer Bassist"
In response to Reply # 0

thank you

Butcher
Charter member
72 posts
Fri May-19-06 11:39 PM

6. "RE: OkayPlayer Bassist"
In response to Reply # 0

Because hip-hop draws on so many sources, I've always tried to go back to the main source material, learn that, and then listen to how the track's producer altered it to work in the song itself.

If you're looking for written material, I can't recommend "Standing In The Shadows of Motown" and "The Funkmasters" enough. You can't get too much Jamerson and Bootsy.

DustysouthDJ
192 posts
Sun May-21-06 04:59 AM

7. "RE: OkayPlayer Bassist"
In response to Reply # 6

thats where I started with donald dunn and jamerson. I love larry graham but not much in to slapping myself. having a hard time convaying the groove I want when I record and those rock guys like it way different than I do. I want a tone that is solid almost symth, like what you here on alot of newer soul records but the info too easy to find and I record direct not through mic'ed cabs

Butcher
Charter member
72 posts
Sun May-21-06 03:17 PM

8. "RE: OkayPlayer Bassist"
In response to Reply # 7

Those just might be keyboards, unfortunately. To keep a smiliar tone, I make sure to emphasize the lower frequencies and roll off the highs. I've also used a Boss Octave pedal and eliminated the dry signal, using only the synth notes. I alsy have a MIDI pickup on my bass to trigger samples, although it's still a little sensitive - my ghost notes tend to cause false triggers.

TommyWhy
Member since May 21st 2002
6704 posts
Tue May-23-06 10:05 PM

16. "EQ and compression will help."
In response to Reply # 7

Don't cut highs altogether, some highs will help your tone... experiment with an eq plug in and find good frequencies to boost and cut... lower mids from 250-900 are good to cut (not all of it, but one or two narrower cuts) boost some lows somewhere from 120 on down (shelving filter). Fret noise is good to cut, sometimes a de-esser will work for this, or just do a deep narrow cut and move it around until you find the noise (maybe around 4k to 6k, but it varies). A slight boost around 2k to 3k can add clarity and attack.

Use compression judiciously, too much will squeeze the life out of the track, but the right amount will really help.

For a synthier tone, try stompboxes (envelope filters, octavers, phasers, etc). Also try using an active bass as the tend to be more "full frequency range" in sound.

As far as copping the groove goes, you just gotta shed the stuff until you can make it feel good, don't settle for getting the notes right, it's all about precise rhythmic location, duration, and dynamics in addition to the right notes in the right order.

http://www.myspace.com/tommywhy

DaKidFromHaiti
Member since Feb 19th 2006
1211 posts
Mon May-22-06 09:59 PM

9. "RE: OkayPlayer Bassist"
In response to Reply # 0

My pops bought a bass a few months ago, I've been tryna get into it, he said he might make me take classes during summer, I'm really tryna learn how to play it.

OkayBassPlayer
Member since Dec 14th 2004
75 posts
Tue May-23-06 12:57 AM

10. "you dont really need a class..."
In response to Reply # 9

imo you shouldnt waste the money. Just start fooling around on the bass until you get the hang of it, learn a few easy basslines and then pickup a few tips from other people that play (whether it be your friends or people you meet in the music store).

All you need to get started is a good talk with someone at a music store who knows what you need (guitar, tuner, extra strings, bag) and thats it.

good luck!

Check out my music:
http://www.myspace.com/frontlineband
http://www.myspace.com/davidsalliance

Check me out:
http://www.myspace.com/jprice21xct

Butcher
Charter member
72 posts
Tue May-23-06 07:53 AM

11. "RE: you dont really need a class..."
In response to Reply # 10

I dunno, I'm a believer in lessons, but I also picked up just about every book I could and tried to dissect albums along the way, too. Having somebody to help you along is cool as far as one-on-one instruction - not sure how a classroom environment would work.

DaKidFromHaiti
Member since Feb 19th 2006
1211 posts
Tue May-23-06 02:13 PM

12. "RE: you dont really need a class..."
In response to Reply # 10

Yea I've been messin around with it, I know how to read tabs and stuff, and my friend who plays guitar thought me the alphabet. But he has another friend of his who is really good at the bass, and he thought me some stuff one time, but I kinda forgot it. But yea, I'm always messin' around with it and stuff.

Butcher
Charter member
72 posts
Tue May-23-06 02:59 PM

13. "RE: you dont really need a class..."
In response to Reply # 12

That'll work - just keep at it and keep listening.

BezO
Member since Apr 09th 2003
2381 posts
Tue May-23-06 03:11 PM

14. "RE: OkayPlayer Bassist"
In response to Reply # 0

Can't say there are no snob or rock players there, but try Talkbass.com.

Bass Player magazine covers a lot. Some issues have more urban articles/lessons than others. Of course, some issues have none.

Mathematics - The Problem
Akrobatik - Absolute Value
The White Stripes - The White Stripes
GZA - Pro Tools
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium

TommyWhy
6704 posts
Tue May-23-06 09:51 PM

15. "In my experience, Bass Player magazine was always pretty good."
In response to Reply # 0

It seems to have a diverse range of topics, I've seen articles aplenty on Marcus Miller, Bootsy, Jamerson, Dunn, Meshell, Pino, Preston Crump, Verdine, and more, as well as the rock cats, jazz cats, you name it.

I haven't actually bought a bass magazine in years though, I very occasionally skim one on the newsstand.

But feel free to ask away on specific questions around here if you have them, I'll respond if I see it.

DustysouthDJ
192 posts
Thu May-25-06 03:21 AM

19. "RE: In my experience, Bass Player magazine was always pretty good."
In response to Reply # 15

last months bass guitar mag was nice it has sly and robbie on the cover and has there best of the reagae players. aslo a few hip hop bass lines in the back. the one before that had some stevie wonder transcribed

scorpion
Charter member
29592 posts
Sun May-28-06 07:03 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
21. "thats cuz of the new editor...."
In response to Reply # 15

he's a brother and he makes sure they get their due....

the previous editor almost pretended black bass players didnt exist....

The avatar: Mo' betta makes it mo' betta...

Quote of a lifetime:
"...music is not just a hobby or what I do...it's what I live...music is the voice of my god, my vehicle for spiritual enlightenement..."
-OKP Illogicz

TommyWhy
6704 posts
Mon May-29-06 12:01 AM

23. "He's been the editor for a minute now..."
In response to Reply # 21

I don't remember the last editor. But I know that Bass Player used to be hip way back in the day, I had an old issue with Darryl Jones and Milt Hinton together (before Darryl Jones was with the Stones). Maybe there was a wack period in between.

Butcher
Charter member
72 posts
Wed May-24-06 01:32 PM

17. "RE: OkayPlayer Bassist"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm enough of a dork to have every issue of Bass Player in binders, except for the first few special issues. I alsways find myself going back to them for reference.

tonywashington
Charter member
23582 posts
Wed May-24-06 02:04 PM

18. "*still moonwalking*"
In response to Reply # 0

*peep sig*

-T
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"rick ross got old african woman swag" (c)nayaa

unohoo
Charter member
15278 posts
Sun May-28-06 01:44 PM

20. "Good post..."
In response to Reply # 0

...well just one that I was looking to make myself.
I just wanted to get some scales under my belt
to practice and maybe some dexterity exercises.
I was looking for a good book, but I'll try some of
the stuff that was suggested in here.

--------------------

blah blah blah

TommyWhy
6704 posts
Sun May-28-06 11:59 PM

22. "A real good dexterity exercise (slightly advanced)..."
In response to Reply # 20

Set a metronome, and practice doing scales in octaves. The trick is to do them in 16th notes, two on the low tone and two on the high tone, a la "River People". Or just shed the "River People" bassline (it's in the New Real Book volume 1, or listen to a sequenced version on my myspace). But if you do the double octave scales in all keys and keep it locked to the metronome and get it grooving, your dexterity will definitely improve. Start slow.

unohoo
Charter member
15278 posts
Mon May-29-06 08:17 AM

25. "Thanks for the tip..."
In response to Reply # 22

...I can't help but start slow, my fingers
aren't used to the thickness of the strings
and it makes for clumsy fingering.

--------------------

blah blah blah

rob dogg
Member since Mar 02nd 2006
127 posts
Fri Jun-02-06 05:33 PM

26. "RE: OkayPlayer Bassist"
In response to Reply # 0

www.bassmasta.net not perfect bit theres some hip hop and stuff on there.

On Rotation:
Cut Chemist: The Audience is Listening
J Dilla: The Shining
DJ Shadow: The Outsider

Lobby Make The Music topic #5240 Previous topic | Next topic