Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Make The Music topic #5124

Subject: "I have so many samples ready for flipping" Previous topic | Next topic
Up In Smoke
Member since Dec 15th 2003
5380 posts
Wed May-17-06 08:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"I have so many samples ready for flipping"

that it is overwelming, literally 100's of beats wanting to be made that I can't focus on anything, I've never had this probelm before, I used to kill for any nice loops/breaks, now I got wayy to much

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: I have so many samples ready for flipping
May 17th 2006
use other music you like as "inspiration"
May 17th 2006
I do this, but I think you're misunderstanding me
May 17th 2006
      you might have to go on a music fast then, then come back to it....
May 17th 2006
I DEFINITELY can identify with this...
May 17th 2006
RE: I have so many samples ready for flipping
May 18th 2006
i think i can agree with this
May 18th 2006

LANSTARR
Member since Jan 04th 2003
418 posts
Wed May-17-06 08:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "RE: I have so many samples ready for flipping"
In response to Reply # 0

I have that problem, but with one shot samples. I feel like I wanna use em all... AT ONE TIME!! hahah

Don't have that prob with samples tho cuz as soon as I hear something dope in a record, I make the beat... done deal.

(((BEATS BY LANSTARR)))

www.lanstarr.com
www.dirtybathwater.com
www.myspace.com/lanstarr

Allah
Charter member
47756 posts
Wed May-17-06 08:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "use other music you like as "inspiration""
In response to Reply # 0

take a loop of a beat or piece of music you like, load it into
your sequencer, then start layering drum hits from your sample
library over the drum beat in the inspiration loop. Get
a sampler and make a midi track to trigger the sampler or synth
to play a melody similar to the melody or bass line in your inspiration
loop. Then remove the inspiration loop or filter it out, and
start messing around with you have arrange already, chop, re arrange,
rediscover other music elements you want to lay in, etc. Peace.

http://www.facebook.com/divineruler
__gigs__
__stuff__

Up In Smoke
Member since Dec 15th 2003
5380 posts
Wed May-17-06 08:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "I do this, but I think you're misunderstanding me"
In response to Reply # 2

I don't need more inspiration, I have to much all ready haha

Allah
Charter member
47756 posts
Wed May-17-06 08:53 PM

4. "you might have to go on a music fast then, then come back to it...."
In response to Reply # 3

Peace.

http://www.facebook.com/divineruler
__gigs__
__stuff__

Small Pro
Member since Apr 06th 2006
12593 posts
Wed May-17-06 11:32 PM

5. "I DEFINITELY can identify with this..."
In response to Reply # 0

...man, I get some much music coming in that it's literally too much to absorb...this the extreme opposite of my past problems with not being able to find any dope music to dissect.

I hear the 'take a break' tip, but it's all I have right now...currently jobless, and man, its crazy that I made more joints working 40 hour weeks then I do spending all my time on FL6. Word up.

--------------------------------------
https://smallprofessor.bandcamp.com

trane_soulfanatix
Charter member
50 posts
Thu May-18-06 01:10 AM

6. "RE: I have so many samples ready for flipping"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm not sure that you really got a problem here, but i think it's a matter of focus.
When i find myself in that situation i try to make some beats instead of searchin for samples. Cuz when you get to much samples it's hard to know where to begin and it's hard to focus on the individual beats.

http://www.myspace.com/traneofsoulfanatix

apex
Member since Aug 19th 2002
702 posts
Thu May-18-06 02:26 PM

7. "i think i can agree with this"
In response to Reply # 6

for me, i have weekly (sometimes biweekly) sample searching sessions, but i never sample more than 25-30 samples at a time...

out of that 25-30, about 10-15 beats can be made in total... a lot the samples are auxillary samples that can be used to layer or as a part of intros/interludes/transitions, etc...

when i have that session, i don't think about sampling anything new until i am done with that batch... its about staying focused and creating managable workloads. i have a schedule that i am VERY strict about because of the amount of stuff i am trying to get done.

i am working 8 projects this year, with a total of about 80-90 beats needed in total, which mean 130-150 beats actually made to choose from. If you create a yearly schedule, then a monthly, then a weekly... it is VERY possible to get a shitload done and still have time to smoke a tree with wifey on the weekends...

however, each year I take 2-3 extended hiatuses from making beats... at least 2 weeks off, sometimes 3 or 4... after 2-3 months of getting 3-5 hrs of sleep on average, your creativity and motivation are shot... that's usually when i do most of my travelling/business work etc....

www.myspace.com/apexbeats

Apex - (ex)heritance: a prequel - featuring all Apex production

Lobby Make The Music topic #5124 Previous topic | Next topic