Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Make The Music topic #43960

Subject: "d'angelo keyboard" Previous topic | Next topic
stophe
Member since Feb 26th 2008
3 posts
Fri Aug-14-09 10:06 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"d'angelo keyboard"

Anyone know what keyboard is used in the first few seconds of jonz in my bonz?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: d'angelo keyboard
Aug 14th 2009
LIES!
Aug 15th 2009
Dawhud, although you are correct about the instrument samples...
Aug 16th 2009
      *purses lips*
Aug 16th 2009
      RE: Dawhud, although you are correct about the instrument samples...
Aug 17th 2009

Dawhud
Member since Jun 07th 2007
196 posts
Fri Aug-14-09 10:53 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: d'angelo keyboard"
In response to Reply # 0

He pretty much uses these keyboards on all his music.

Fender Rhodes
Whilitzer

Hamond B3 (not sure if I remmeber any on any tracks, BUT he's all about the classic analog keyboards)

myspace.com/djdawhud
Suckas get read like CHAOS AND BLACK STEAL!!!

musaee
Member since Nov 30th 2002
1182 posts
Sat Aug-15-09 01:53 PM

2. "LIES!"
In response to Reply # 1

d'angelo did Brown Sugar with an ASR-10

and uhm...its "wurlitzer"

Illogical Industries
Member since Jul 17th 2009
118 posts
Sun Aug-16-09 04:49 AM

3. "Dawhud, although you are correct about the instrument samples..."
In response to Reply # 1

You are however mistaken about what D'angelo played those samples with. He in fact used the Ensoniq ASR-10 and the samples he played came from the Ensoniq EPS-16+ Jazz signature series disc which I made copies for my old and good friend Willie "Dondi" Bruno who in turn gave to D'angelo when we were all signed to Midnight music which was our publishing company at the time. The guitar and drums on "When We Get By" as well as the drums on on "Cruising" also came from that very same set of discs.

I honestly don't know where you got your information from, but you should be able to find the Jazz signature series on the web and use this application http://www.chickensys.com/products/sw_iteminfo.php?sw_name=Translator+Pro to get those exact samples used on D'Angelo's Brown Sugar.

If you have no succuess finding the Jazz Signature Series you can use Digidesign's Velvet, Native Instruments Elektirk Piano or my personal favorite MOTU Electric Keys. All of these virtual instruments are good recreations that you can get that D'Angelo sound with a little bit of time and effort. But a quick and very effective cheat is using a kalimba sample.

If you want to recreate the underwater phaser effect used on the Mark II Rohdes from the Ensoniq Jazz Siganature Series that was played on "Jonez In My Bonez" then I suggest using the Moogerfooger which is a great envelope follower. Or you can use another envelope follower called Little Duck that also does a great job.

I hope this information helps you all.

*This is the REAL DJ Pete Marriott*:
www.ayoplaya.com
www.petemarriott.com

HeavenLei
Charter member
35941 posts
Sun Aug-16-09 11:35 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "*purses lips*"
In response to Reply # 3

------------------------------
Ain't that a starruh? Dis fuh you!

http://www.hulu.com/watch/7274/in-living-color-cephus-and-reesie---we-tight?c=51:80

ILL FLOW
Member since Nov 16th 2004
3221 posts
Mon Aug-17-09 10:07 PM

5. "RE: Dawhud, although you are correct about the instrument samples..."
In response to Reply # 3

i'd call that a case closed

http://oneyoungsta.com/

Lobby Make The Music topic #43960 Previous topic | Next topic