Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Make The Music topic #18224

Subject: "do i need musical theory to make beats?" Previous topic | Next topic
dawsonallen
Member since Aug 09th 2006
26 posts
Mon Nov-13-06 12:20 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"do i need musical theory to make beats?"

if i want to make beats is it necessary that i learn some musical theory? i'm just trying to jump on the fruity loops and make some bangers. am i destined to fail? also, what/who should i consult if i want to learn to use fruity loops?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
you need to know at least how to lay down a rhythym
Nov 13th 2006
RE: do i need musical theory to make beats?
Nov 13th 2006
you need the type of theory that can be picked up from listening.
Nov 13th 2006
By and large, you need some theory to make music.
Nov 13th 2006
imma put it like this...
Nov 13th 2006
save your money
Nov 13th 2006
lol
Nov 16th 2006
You need to have vision.
Nov 16th 2006
Seriously what do you pan to do?Because ...
Nov 17th 2006
how is a beatmaker not a composer? you on that rockism.
Jan 18th 2008
disregard just about all of this n/m
Jan 18th 2008
Nov 17th 2006
^ to spice up the front page
Jan 18th 2008
lol
Jan 18th 2008
      its 07/08...
Jan 18th 2008
      LOL so true!
Jan 19th 2008
      dont know why i find you avy erotic
Jan 19th 2008
           not at all family.
Jan 19th 2008
                hahaha ok then im cool (c)
Jan 19th 2008
Jan 22nd 2008
No, but theoretical knowledge will go a long way once you learn to apply...
Jan 23rd 2008

Allah
Charter member
47756 posts
Mon Nov-13-06 10:54 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "you need to know at least how to lay down a rhythym"
In response to Reply # 0

which is INCLUDED in "musical theory".

http://www.facebook.com/divineruler
__gigs__
__stuff__

A_Str8
Member since Feb 01st 2004
132 posts
Mon Nov-13-06 11:29 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "RE: do i need musical theory to make beats?"
In response to Reply # 0

You don't NEED to learn anything. You could possibly sit down at the computer and make the best beat the world has ever known without one bit of knowledge. Unfortunately, that is probably not gonna happen. The more you learn the, the more tools you have at your disposal to make something that is actually good. Learn theory. Learn the technology. Practice.

-----------------------------
http://www.ahdchild.com - New CD Available
http://www.myspace.com/ahdchild

dafriquan
Charter member
24695 posts
Mon Nov-13-06 12:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "you need the type of theory that can be picked up from listening."
In response to Reply # 0

if you are just a casual fan of music then please don't even bother...lol...your beats will probably sound wack. my best advice is try to re-create/emulate some basic beats before you start trying to go all "innovative". most "innovative" by novices are garbage.

p.s. piano lessons will put you in a whole other realm. that's my plan for 2007. master the keys.

InstruMental
Member since Nov 10th 2005
12463 posts
Mon Nov-13-06 01:43 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "By and large, you need some theory to make music."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Nov-13-06 01:46 PM by InstruMental

If you hop on a beat machine and start churning, you may get lucky once in a while, but as a general rule your joints are gonna be rough from lack of understanding of how to really get them to work.

Good news is, music is much like other disciplines in that doing it can and does bring skill improvement. But still, if you take extra time to get a better idea of what's happening with the sounds you're working with, that's more tools in the toolbox.

Plus, and I can tell you this as an autodidactic composer, the more you understand about music, the more enjoyable making it is.

<---Okay Jima (© Bridgetown)

http://www.myspace.com/musicphilosophy
http://www.myspace.com/icapinstrumental <---updated 5/31/07
http://www.soundclick.com/realsoonthemental <---NEW

willi_dudat
Member since Jul 26th 2005
8272 posts
Mon Nov-13-06 09:49 PM

5. "imma put it like this..."
In response to Reply # 0

before you learned to read, you could talk right??? but once you learned to read, your vocabulary began to expand and you became overall improved at communicating right???

nuff said???

over and out
du

"It's the return of the gangsta, thanks ta..."

-du

High Society
Member since Oct 13th 2003
7375 posts
Mon Nov-13-06 09:56 PM

6. "save your money"
In response to Reply # 0

buy a bag of weed.

-----
Cameo
Soundshape Records

Majik43
Member since Mar 17th 2005
6189 posts
Thu Nov-16-06 01:31 PM

8. "lol"
In response to Reply # 6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVW5_PJHzR4&NR
^^^^ LA's Finest

theMantheMyth
Member since Mar 11th 2005
39988 posts
Thu Nov-16-06 03:30 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "You need to have vision."
In response to Reply # 0

Anybody who can consitently produce worth a shit does.

Any idiot can find a hot loop every now and then and throw some drums over it. But I guarantee that any beat like that could be improved by somebody who really had a creative approach to it.

What does all this have to do with music theory? Well...it's hard to consistently pull quality ideas out of thin air. Lord knows we all plink around on a keyboard and just *find* something every now and again, but if you ever hope to be able to consistently and efficiently make hot tracks, you'll find it's a giant handicap to not understand what does and does not work, and that's where theory comes in.

Is it the only thing you need? No. But on some level, if youre serious about making music, I say yes it is necessary.

www.soul2020.com
www.myspace.com/chopsteak
http://chopsteak.blogspot.com

you went home thinking about it
that even for a second you might could have mushed your face in between two middle age boobs
and like it a whole lot - bubs

Sergio Kara
Member since Jan 29th 2005
134 posts
Fri Nov-17-06 01:18 PM

9. "Seriously what do you pan to do?Because ..."
In response to Reply # 0

You've got to understand that music is a real language by itself with his codes and rules.

If you plan to just be a beat maker(making beats is in fact program drums patterns over a sample),you don't need it because you're not a composer,you don't create music,you remix something who does exist already.So you're limitated to hip hop and production(which comes after the composition)

But if you plan to be a composer,so create music of your mind(like Stevie lol),you need to learn musical theory and to play an instrument(I suggest piano,which is great for composing because of the polyphony),then you'll enter to a all different world:MUSIC,rich music not based on samples and loops.You'll know the language and you'll really express yourself,your vision of music(it's very important to have an identity in your music and in your sound).

After that you'll learn how to produce.

But great production with wack composing don't make great songs in fact your ears are flatted by the sounds but not by the music itself,for example Timbaland.

But great composition with great production:wow for example Pink Floyd or the beatles,more recently the Neptunes on NERD or on some Kelis:"Rolling through the hood" is a perfect example,but to understand what I'm talking about you've got to know about music and be able to identify the chords changes,the subtility of the play on keys...or listen to Off the wall,"I can't help it" is a strong example too,or try to see this video on youtube about frontin' played on piano,you'll understand that's a great song because of the different levels of composing:melodies and harmonies:you'll understand that the vocals harmonies are great too and in fact that's a jazz song.

So if you plan to make songs and not beats you have to learn and play.

Tell me what you think about it.

Many Love...........

www.myspace.com/many_love

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Fri Jan-18-08 06:18 PM

13. "how is a beatmaker not a composer? you on that rockism."
In response to Reply # 9
Fri Jan-18-08 06:18 PM by IkeMoses

-30-
You know it's drama, but it sound real good.

AlBundy
Member since May 27th 2002
9621 posts
Fri Jan-18-08 07:10 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
15. "disregard just about all of this n/m"
In response to Reply # 9

-------------------------
"when you apply his techniques from Donuts to other types of music besides soul/R&B, the possibilites are endless."- Small Pro

Vid Santoro
Member since Oct 04th 2006
1318 posts
Fri Nov-17-06 09:07 PM

10. "RE: do i need musical theory to make beats?"
In response to Reply # 0

its one of those things like it wont make a bad beatmaker good but it will makw a good beat maker better.

ehhhh, theory makes everyone a bit better...its how you put it to use.

most of the $20,000+ per beat guys started out without theory and learned as they went along... so you can hear how it effects a beatmaker's process and outcome.

chords and scales will cut a bit of time off of certain styles, though.

Soon
Member since Jul 02nd 2007
17996 posts
Fri Jan-18-08 10:20 AM

11. "^ to spice up the front page"
In response to Reply # 0

http://twitter.com/RSoon
http://soonsounds.com <--- Peace for the Fiery Heart
https://soundcloud.com/marianmereba/blue-for-mr-green-real-soon

Aeon
Charter member
43870 posts
Fri Jan-18-08 03:45 PM

12. "lol"
In response to Reply # 11

_

shakin your block with a 6 million dollar bop

_

www.davidevanmcdowell.com

Small Pro
Member since Apr 06th 2006
12593 posts
Fri Jan-18-08 07:08 PM

14. "its 07/08..."
In response to Reply # 12

...how and why are dudes that don't believe sampling is music still signing up to discuss hip-hop on a message board? i dont get it fam...

--------------------------------------
https://smallprofessor.bandcamp.com

Mixmaster Oil Can Harry
Member since May 26th 2005
690 posts
Sat Jan-19-08 12:41 PM

17. "LOL so true!"
In response to Reply # 14

In THIS forum!!! Funny!

Dim
Member since Mar 26th 2007
1424 posts
Sat Jan-19-08 07:37 AM

16. "dont know why i find you avy erotic"
In response to Reply # 12

thats kinda fucked, aint it?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v464/1-TED/slide_599_12612_large.jpg

"Let me 'splain it to ya"

Aeon
Charter member
43870 posts
Sat Jan-19-08 12:47 PM

18. "not at all family."
In response to Reply # 16

>thats kinda fucked, aint it?

not at all.

_

shakin your block with a 6 million dollar bop

_

www.davidevanmcdowell.com

Dim
Member since Mar 26th 2007
1424 posts
Sat Jan-19-08 06:57 PM

19. "hahaha ok then im cool (c)"
In response to Reply # 18

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v464/1-TED/slide_599_12612_large.jpg

"Let me 'splain it to ya"

Peterdhufnagel@gmail.com
Member since Jan 22nd 2008
13 posts
Tue Jan-22-08 06:25 PM

20. "RE: do i need musical theory to make beats?"
In response to Reply # 0

it is impossible to achieve what you could with a music theory base without one

Ill at Life
Member since May 21st 2005
288 posts
Wed Jan-23-08 12:03 PM

21. "No, but theoretical knowledge will go a long way once you learn to apply..."
In response to Reply # 0

The problems come in that most of us who learn that shit don't learn how to apply it for a hot minute.

If you're thinking abotu getting into making beats though? My suggestion is don't unless you know for a fact that it will always be just for fun. Because most of us in this music racket, are either obsessed and ruining other parts of our life because of it, or wacker than we should be because we refuse to accept how much work it is.

Apparently, it's a celebration....bitches.

Lobby Make The Music topic #18224 Previous topic | Next topic