Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Make The Music topic #16548

Subject: "Jacking drums from hip hop records is for toys!!!" Previous topic | Next topic
BeatDiggaNigga
Member since Sep 06th 2003
120 posts
Thu Oct-05-06 11:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Jacking drums from hip hop records is for toys!!!"

I would compare it to calling yourself a graffiti writer, but having a more talented writer do all of your outlines for you.

Or calling yourself an Emcee and never writing your own rhymes.

Real poser type shit.

A.K.A.THE FREDDY FOXXX OF THE BEAT GAME

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
if thats the case
Oct 05th 2006
RE: if thats the case
Oct 05th 2006
      sonny, you ethered yourself right here:
Oct 06th 2006
           yeah I guess breakbeats are "uncompressed"
Oct 06th 2006
           ur playing dumb again but whateva
Oct 06th 2006
           my argument is the truth
Oct 07th 2006
           You're right to a point, but I think what he was saying...
Oct 14th 2006
I've said it before and I'll say it again.
Oct 05th 2006
Damn.
Oct 06th 2006
      Dawg anybody who says that shit "didnt happen" is full of shit.
Oct 06th 2006
      yes what happened?
Oct 06th 2006
hiphop is illogical
Oct 06th 2006
^this post will go unnoticed
Oct 07th 2006
      not in the least-its exactly what the rest of us have been saying
Oct 07th 2006
i'm all for equal oppurtunity drum stealing.
Oct 06th 2006
But what if you...
Oct 06th 2006
Well in that case I better hire Questlove then
Oct 06th 2006
delusional
Oct 06th 2006
so DJ Premier, Beatminerz, et al are posers?
Oct 06th 2006
They sampled the SAME drums.
Oct 08th 2006
fam this is the first thing that came to mind
Oct 08th 2006
AKA, How To Write a Self Defeating Post 101
Oct 06th 2006
I always learn cool stuff when I read this board
Oct 06th 2006
I feel very similarly on the topic
Oct 10th 2006
lol i remember getting AMBUSHED by the Okp Swat team when i
Oct 06th 2006
Stealing drums makes music sound better.
Oct 07th 2006
When people try to 'explain' it...
Oct 07th 2006
You are 99.9% correct and I agree with you whole heartedly
Oct 08th 2006
Izzo and Guess Who's Back? Explain please.
Oct 08th 2006
      I think he grabbed Dre's XXplosive drums.
Oct 08th 2006
           I just listened to everyones beats...
Oct 08th 2006
           Your beats are nice, and more authentic than mine
Oct 09th 2006
           um... okay.
Oct 09th 2006
RE: Jacking drums from hip hop records is for toys!!!
Oct 11th 2006
If your end product sounds phat
Oct 11th 2006
SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!!
Oct 12th 2006
post OFFICIALLY over. Archive.
Oct 12th 2006

lexx3001
Charter member
9211 posts
Thu Oct-05-06 11:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "if thats the case"
In response to Reply # 0

then jackin any music PERIOD is for toys. What, dont tell me that hiphop artists are somehow more untouchable than any other artist? im sorry but this is flawed on many many levels. for the record, i mix my drums. the closest i came to "jacking" hiphop drums was chopping up a famous break beat. but none the less, there are no rules. Period. If it works, it works, this is hiphop, thats how it always was

Stay strong

Lexx

iamlexx.com
newvintagegroup.com
aim: lexx3001

BeatDiggaNigga
120 posts
Thu Oct-05-06 11:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: if thats the case"
In response to Reply # 1

Technically taking drums from a hip hop record is not the same as taking drums from an old break because the drum on a hip hop record has been processed in some way, and in many cases, made to have a bigger, fatter sound than the original. by taking it off the hip hop record, your being lazy because what most likely prompted you to want to take the drum in the first place is the fatness and the sound quality of it. Its not just a coincidence that it sounds like that.

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44888 posts
Fri Oct-06-06 01:00 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "sonny, you ethered yourself right here:"
In response to Reply # 2

>Technically taking drums from a hip hop record is not the
>same as taking drums from an old break because the drum on a
>hip hop record has been processed in some way, and in many
>cases, made to have a bigger, fatter sound than the original.

what the hell do you think happened on the original record?
you dont think specific heads were used, particular mics, mic placement, room ambience, eq, compression, the very nature of the circuitry within those units as well as the console itself combined t frm the hit that was so tempting to jack to begin with?

LOL

the combined work and resources it took to create that initial hit far outweigh what producer x did t the hit that producer y jacked.

>by taking it off the hip hop record, your being lazy because
>what most likely prompted you to want to take the drum in the
>first place is the fatness and the sound quality of it. Its
>not just a coincidence that it sounds like that.

so what prompted producer x to take the original hit?

you gotta come more correct next time

-Sig-

“Why didn’t you do this in your own god damn country?"

-All Stah's view on undocumented immigrants wanting to be treated like human beings.

Earl Flynn
Member since Dec 08th 2005
28751 posts
Fri Oct-06-06 12:40 PM

12. "yeah I guess breakbeats are "uncompressed""
In response to Reply # 6

I never knew that.

Majik43
Member since Mar 17th 2005
6189 posts
Fri Oct-06-06 08:14 PM

17. "ur playing dumb again but whateva"
In response to Reply # 6

whateva helps ur arguement i guess. i can't knock that.

Cold Truth
44888 posts
Sat Oct-07-06 05:13 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
20. "my argument is the truth"
In response to Reply # 17

deal with it

-Sig-

-All Stah's view on undocumented immigrants wanting to be treated like human beings.

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Sat Oct-14-06 04:22 PM

37. "You're right to a point, but I think what he was saying..."
In response to Reply # 6

...and someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but when you sample another hip-hop record, in a way you're cheating because you're messing around with what another producer messed with.

A good example of this is the Original Concept album, STRAIGHT FROM THE BASEMENT OF KOOLEY HIGH, so we're going back to 1987 or so for this. I still think it's a great album, but "Charlie Sez" is supposed to sound original until you realize Doctor Dre was just using Coldcut's "Beats And Pieces", without alteration. If you're doing a DJ set that's one thing, but when you're producing "your own" song, it comes off as half-assed.

Or it's like a DJ scratching a part of a record that has scratching, a DJ things it may sound cool because part of the effect is there and you're adding your own flavor to it.
===
It also touches on so-called "ethics", and in sample-based production it shouldn't matter, even if we have our own individual guidelines. I used to be someone who borrowed from hip-hop records, it was quick and fast and it was in many ways education. I got to a point where I did not want to make music that sounded like anyone else, and I had more than enough records to create something that I hoped would represent my production techniques and my collection. I do not regret having Led Zeppelin's untitled 4th album and making endless loops of "When The Levee Breaks" with a cassette deck, not only could I make decent loops, but I could add an additional bass, do a double snare, or extend that knock in the beat a little more, using nothing more than a pause button. When I got into computer based production I used that method, and it was a lot easier because I could actually "see" the music rather than rely on audio cues.

Anyone who visited a library probably came across a book or magazine articles on how to splice audio tape, which lead into how to make a tape loop. I remember being amazed at the concept of "time stretching", and it got mathematical too. Let's say four inches of tape represented three seconds. If you got that four inch tape and cut it into four, 1-inch slices, that would be 0.75 seconds each piece. You had a sense for what sound was on each piece. Now if you moved around each piece, so instead of the splices being in a 1-2-3-4 sequence, it could be 1-2-4-3, or 2-1-3-4, or 3-2-4-1, and when spliced together and played, it would result in a different sequence of sounds, even if the sounds within is the same sound on that four inch piece of tape.

Okay, now I'm off-topic again so I'll shutup.

Point is, it was a lot more interesting and creative to make something on your own and not rely on sounds pre-made by another producer. Or to put it bluntly, if the thief got away with doing something, you want what he has, so you steal from the thief.

With all of that said, if someone can make a good song and most people have no idea where you got the sounds from, that's part of the song's charm, it's "magic". When you go behind the wizard's curtain and discover some of the production truths, then people start throwing issues. There is a bit of that competitive edge, but we almost treat beatmaking as if it's wrestling. This isn't the Battle Royale or Wrestlemania VII.

I know, someone will now mention the Pete Marriott/9th Wonder thing, but that's Pete and he can back up his claims. But this isn't about Pete, it's about making music you're comfortable with, regardless of the techniques or methods involved.

http://www.myspace.com/crutmusic
http://www.musicforamerica.org/node/112379
http://jbookmusic.blogspot.com
http://www.cduniverse.com/default.asp?style=music&frm=lk_johnbook
http://www.allmanbrothersband.com/index.php?vst=45730

swinger3421
Member since Mar 09th 2003
21080 posts
Thu Oct-05-06 11:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "I've said it before and I'll say it again."
In response to Reply # 0

Drum samples are samples.

If you use a four-bar JB's loop with some handclaps and a kick drum on it, you're really not creating much. Same deal if you jack the kick from "drop it like it's hot" and expect to magically sound like pharrell. In either case, you deserve the end product you get.

But on the other side of the spectrum, some of these cats would tell you have to invent the color red every time you paint a picture. If that's their creative process, fine, but every producer needs to figure out for themselves what's benefitting their music and what's not. Hell, sometimes it means using a synthesized drum sound, which isn't the most "original" thing in the world.

Point being, do you, use what you want, but if you don't put in the effort to make it original, it won't be original.

Swingy love.

BeatDiggaNigga
120 posts
Fri Oct-06-06 12:05 AM

4. "Damn."
In response to Reply # 3

What happened to hip hop? I know its 2006, but originally there were some things you just didn't do. But, I guess 9th wonder built a whole career off of it, so who am I to say its wrong?

swinger3421
Member since Mar 09th 2003
21080 posts
Fri Oct-06-06 12:24 AM

5. "Dawg anybody who says that shit "didnt happen" is full of shit."
In response to Reply # 4

And I've spoken my piece on the matter, but the simple fact of the matter is that lifting a Dre snare doesn't make one sound like Dre. As a matter of fact, it usually sounds like shit, because that one drum sound doesn't fit with anything else in their mix. Sampling is the refashioning of preexisting recorded sound into something original. Key word: original.

Swingy love.

lexx3001
Charter member
9211 posts
Fri Oct-06-06 08:27 AM

7. "yes what happened?"
In response to Reply # 4

since when did hiphop music have "rules" that you so insistantly trying to push? hiphop was always like this, people sampling other people. that was never an issue. Shit, music is music, the end result is what counts. I much rather hear somebody sample a hiphop drum and do some creative melody stabbing/playing on top than hear somebody mix some shitty drums and a tired old sample. its the song in the end that matters

Stay strong

Lexx

iamlexx.com
newvintagegroup.com
aim: lexx3001

haji rana pinya
Charter member
53604 posts
Fri Oct-06-06 08:37 AM

8. "hiphop is illogical"
In response to Reply # 0

www.dumhi.com

liveguy
Member since Jan 01st 2004
8002 posts
Sat Oct-07-06 12:14 PM

21. "^this post will go unnoticed"
In response to Reply # 8

For the 50,000th time: THERE IS NO HONOR AMONGST THEIVES!

Period.

You sample, you are taking from someone else's work.

No matter the source....it's all the same.

We see through all that boo boo like it's ghost shit... (c) Quelle Chris

| http://liveguy.bandcamp.com |
| www.soundcloud.com/liveguy |
| www.twitter.com/liveguy |
| www.instagram.com/theREALliveguy |
| XBOX ONE GT: theREALliveguy |

Cold Truth
44888 posts
Sat Oct-07-06 02:00 PM

22. "not in the least-its exactly what the rest of us have been saying"
In response to Reply # 21
Sat Oct-07-06 02:01 PM by Cold Truth

although, you can take this to ays so im nt sure ho he meant it

-Sig-

Ascension
Member since Aug 25th 2003
6616 posts
Fri Oct-06-06 11:11 AM

9. "i'm all for equal oppurtunity drum stealing."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Oct-06-06 11:12 AM by Ascension

JayPeah
Member since Jun 07th 2006
246 posts
Fri Oct-06-06 12:09 PM

10. "But what if you..."
In response to Reply # 0

Take a dre snare and then process it some more?

--------------------------------------------------------------
My Ish....
http://www.myspace.com/jaypeah

Earl Flynn
Member since Dec 08th 2005
28751 posts
Fri Oct-06-06 12:37 PM

11. "Well in that case I better hire Questlove then"
In response to Reply # 0

-

K tilda Swift
Member since Sep 20th 2005
6985 posts
Fri Oct-06-06 12:48 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "delusional"
In response to Reply # 0

--NYC*The Capital of Brilliant Ignorance--
Rap should rhyme and be on beat.
http://mckswift.com

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Fri Oct-06-06 02:04 PM

14. "so DJ Premier, Beatminerz, et al are posers?"
In response to Reply # 0

Go and listen to EPMD's "You're A Customer" and then "Mass Appeal" and then say that's the work of a poser. GTFOHWTPBJ...

keishashasha
Member since Nov 04th 2003
572 posts
Sun Oct-08-06 12:22 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
24. "They sampled the SAME drums."
In response to Reply # 14

--------------------------------------
We love it where we from but we kick it where we at.

ChuckFoPrez
Charter member
47859 posts
Sun Oct-08-06 02:13 PM

25. "fam this is the first thing that came to mind"
In response to Reply # 14

https://twitter.com/chuck4prez

Cold Truth
44888 posts
Fri Oct-06-06 02:22 PM

15. "AKA, How To Write a Self Defeating Post 101"
In response to Reply # 0

great job

-Sig-

ko-d
Member since Mar 31st 2005
424 posts
Fri Oct-06-06 07:42 PM

16. "I always learn cool stuff when I read this board"
In response to Reply # 0

I think that sampling hip hop drums is fine, but I'd feel a bit weird doing it... I don't think it's lazier or anything I dunno it's just some restriction I've put on myself.

No disrespect whatsoever to whoever does it.

ado420
Member since Apr 17th 2006
2004 posts
Tue Oct-10-06 01:23 PM

32. "I feel very similarly on the topic"
In response to Reply # 16

but that's just a personal thing, I don't like taking samples off hip hop records, but in the end, I am not playing the actual music (unless I try to) and I don't care where I get the sound from. It's like, you hear a sample in one song, and you want to use it, but you are all like, in your head of course "This fucker jacked EPMD or Gangstarr (insert sample here)". (like EPMD The Crossover's buried-in-the-mix sample that is the basis for Dr. Knockboots by Nas)

But it's just a sound, all records are sounds, all instruments are the same. All harmonic content, just waiting to be arranged into MUSIC; otherwise it's just noise.

To be fair, sampling in general is a toy; if you can't play any instruments, shut up, cause people used this argument 20 years ago when people started all this bullshit (sampling that is). Now I have no urge to play instruments anymore, other than to sample something I played then fuck with it. So even playing music has gotten fucked.
I blame overdubs and mixing more than anything else, one take sessions of records aren't too common these days

Do you shit on them for not actually playing music, just playing notes and then freakin the shit outta that? The number of drum, basses and guitar records have exploded in 25 years, simply for this reason.

The way I see it now, and it has changed a lot in the last 3 years, is nothing is off limits. NOTHING. People started freaking crazy records, and if it's got something I want, why not. Honestly, would you rather hear something crazy, or dismiss it because "he jacked Lord Finesse's drums!" or something like that.

Wow, what a rant, I guess I'm done.

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Fri Oct-06-06 08:48 PM

18. "lol i remember getting AMBUSHED by the Okp Swat team when i"
In response to Reply # 0

used a tribe snare for a beat i made in 20 minutes just for the sake of a convo we were having on the boards here lol. this was a few years back. this particular discussion had nothing to do with drum SOUNDS, and i was trying to be quick to keep the discussion alive, so i quickly whipped up this beat just to illustrate what i was saying ... and cats came all out of the woodwork and REAMED ME!!

"yo! nice rip off of Tribe's snare! that's some bitch shit!"

i felt bad because most of the time, my drums, ESPECIALLY snares, are very much my own originals (because i take enjoyment from creating my own sounds, NOT because i believe everyone has to reinvent red, as someone perfectly put it).

lol but this discussion takes me back.

the most hilarious thing about it was: the discussion was about LOOPING THE ATLIENS INTRO!!!! LMAO, i mean how is THAT NOT a crime while quickly snagging a snare that sounds perfect for the sake of making a quick beat for a discussion IS a crime.

OKP man, OKP lol

Yadgyu
Member since May 31st 2006
8856 posts
Sat Oct-07-06 02:31 AM

19. "Stealing drums makes music sound better."
In response to Reply # 0

It doesn't matter what song you steal drums from, as long as you are good with the beats like me.

----
----
----
----
----

GET ON MY LEVEL!

Small Pro
Member since Apr 06th 2006
12593 posts
Sat Oct-07-06 06:59 PM

23. "When people try to 'explain' it..."
In response to Reply # 0

...you just end up sounding silly. The whole 'I would never steal drums from Primo, his drums are the way he wanted them to sound' argument has been deaded already a couple times. How about we all just do what we feel like doing in terms of sampling restrictions? 95%* of our beats are gonna collect dust/get passed over on by MC's/never be heard anyway.

*i'm a fiver percenter, god. word.

Universal Truth Allah
Member since Apr 27th 2006
170 posts
Sun Oct-08-06 05:48 PM

26. "You are 99.9% correct and I agree with you whole heartedly"
In response to Reply # 0

I feel the same way as you Sun. But, BUT!!! In my old age I have an itch to jack some drums off of The Great Adventures of Slick Rick and I recently took an 808 clap off Jack the Ripper. Not to mention sneakily jackin the spare open bits off Rappers Delight. But this is rare for me, I prefer molding and shaping break beat drum kits. Whether it be that Whatnauts break, or the kitchen sink method where you take a kick from here, a snare from there, a shaker from a weak ass 101 strings record, hand claps from kano and then make a personal stylized statement.

You have to understand that these cats you are trying to school are in fact a bunch of toys, like writers who don't do their own outlines, and rappers who can't write their own rhymes. Have you heard these people's beats? 99% will never amount to shit. The ones that will amount to something, collect break beat stockpiles and make their own drum kits and don't jack Premo kits thinkin it's gonna be the sound of the culture.

I can't believe Kanye got away with that shit on Izzo and Guess Who's back, but it just goes to show the climate of the scene today. Grown men rock pink also that don't mean we have to. But when it comes time to share beats and they wonder why their drums sound queerbait, you'll be glad you don't rock pink too.

Small Pro
Member since Apr 06th 2006
12593 posts
Sun Oct-08-06 05:52 PM

27. "Izzo and Guess Who's Back? Explain please."
In response to Reply # 26

Majik43
6189 posts
Sun Oct-08-06 06:50 PM

28. "I think he grabbed Dre's XXplosive drums."
In response to Reply # 27

<-- U can help.

www.myspace.com/worldofmajik
www.myspace.com/keiton_knight

BeatDiggaNigga
120 posts
Sun Oct-08-06 11:58 PM

29. "I just listened to everyones beats..."
In response to Reply # 28

who have links in this thread. I guess my point was proven.... it is some toy shit. Not to say Im the shit, but I didn't hear any thing that even kept my attention. No wonder yall think its okay to take a nigga like Dillas drums. Feel free to critique my beats.

www.myspace.com/dustyrhodesound

ko-d
Member since Mar 31st 2005
424 posts
Mon Oct-09-06 12:54 AM

30. "Your beats are nice, and more authentic than mine"
In response to Reply # 29

but there are a lot of cats on this forum who likely jack drums from other producers and make joints I feel more.

You're still good though, and I respect that you take the time to go the authentic old school route to preserve the culture of it.

Peace.

Majik43
6189 posts
Mon Oct-09-06 07:16 AM

31. "um... okay."
In response to Reply # 28
Mon Oct-09-06 07:17 AM by Majik43

if u were talking bout strictly bout drums, i don't jack other ppls drums so i'm actually on ur side here lol.

www.myspace.com/worldofmajik
www.myspace.com/keiton_knight

raze1974
Member since Jul 11th 2006
27 posts
Wed Oct-11-06 06:50 PM

33. "RE: Jacking drums from hip hop records is for toys!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

I agree most of my drums are sampled off breaks but I do have libreries of professional sample c.ds and when i started i did jack drums off hip hop records but havent done that in 10 years.

Peace raze

www.myspace.com/raze1974
www.myspace.com/razeandlavaflo

raze1974@rsvmusic.com

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10983 posts
Wed Oct-11-06 11:36 PM

34. "If your end product sounds phat"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't give a damn where you got it from. Whether you processed the shit out of a drum from your rack mount, swiped it from a 35 year old 12", got it from an MP3 or stole Pete Rock's sample library, if your end result sounds good (original would be a plus, but that may be asking too much), do you.

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

Ray_Snill
Charter member
16841 posts
Thu Oct-12-06 06:55 PM

35. "SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

yall bitches kill me with these imaginary rules. just cause you went and 5000 crappy ass records to "keep it real" why not get all the way real, buy your ass a guitar and a drum set and a piano and an organ and a glockenspeil and some bongos and and a tamborine and a trumpet and a saxophone and a flute and keep it really real.

FOH

<=============================
Dem Birds 3-1
damager:
Jerious Norwood 78 yd TD run

question of the week:
if we're winning, why are people still crying about Mike Vick?

I hate falcons fans sometimes ... sheeesh!

Next Up: Giants

liveguy
Member since Jan 01st 2004
8002 posts
Thu Oct-12-06 07:52 PM

36. "post OFFICIALLY over. Archive."
In response to Reply # 35

We see through all that boo boo like it's ghost shit... (c) Quelle Chris

| http://liveguy.bandcamp.com |
| www.soundcloud.com/liveguy |
| www.twitter.com/liveguy |
| www.instagram.com/theREALliveguy |
| XBOX ONE GT: theREALliveguy |

Lobby Make The Music topic #16548 Previous topic | Next topic