Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #90000

Subject: "HARRY POTTER AND THE GOBLET OF FIRE IS HERE" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Thu Nov-17-05 08:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"HARRY POTTER AND THE GOBLET OF FIRE IS HERE"

Someone get bshelly some clean underwear.

I've got tickets to the midnight show. No, I'm not dressing up as Harry for the screening. I'll be dressing up as Viktor Krum. Bitches.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
First!!!
Nov 17th 2005
I'm takin' my mentees to see it at midnite.....
Nov 17th 2005
GYEAH
Nov 17th 2005
Welp, this movie is rated PG-13 for a good reason :/ (I saw it)
Nov 18th 2005
if you know the books, no surprise
Nov 18th 2005
      RE: if you know the books, no surprise
Nov 21st 2005
i have not seen any of the harry potters
Nov 18th 2005
RE: Ummmmmm
Nov 18th 2005
      thanks for that, lol. so necessary.
Nov 19th 2005
so juiced
Nov 18th 2005
It was pretty good (spoiler-free review)
Nov 18th 2005
not fair
Nov 18th 2005
I'm not talking about the film as an adaptation of the book
Nov 18th 2005
      this was helpful
Nov 21st 2005
      RE: this was helpful
Nov 21st 2005
      I think you're right about adding a little more time.
Nov 21st 2005
Not nearly as good as Azkaban.
Nov 18th 2005
nail on head
Nov 19th 2005
this scares me
Nov 21st 2005
      it's not that stuff doesn't make sense
Nov 21st 2005
The scene with the Pensive
Nov 21st 2005
from a non-harry potter fan...
Nov 18th 2005
Bitching and praising (spoilers)
Nov 18th 2005
RE: HARRY POTTER AND THE GOBLET OF FIRE IS HERE
Nov 18th 2005
how old are you? Get up outta that theater.
Nov 18th 2005
      RE: how old are you? Get up outta that theater.
Nov 21st 2005
anchor
Nov 18th 2005
resurrect richard harris
Nov 18th 2005
I like this Dumbledore.
Nov 18th 2005
Cosign.
Nov 19th 2005
I didn't like Dumbledore last film...I think he nailed it this film...
Nov 21st 2005
      word. i thought that same thing (regarding prof mcgonagall).
Nov 22nd 2005
Harry....
Nov 19th 2005
I liked it a lot.
Nov 19th 2005
hahah yea
Nov 19th 2005
$36 million. In one day.
Nov 19th 2005
101 million in one weekend!
Nov 20th 2005
damn this movie went right under my radar.
Nov 20th 2005
LOL me too
Nov 21st 2005
Ron Weasley/Rupert Grint is SEXY?
Nov 20th 2005
i thought he was kinda hot in the last movie.
Nov 21st 2005
Just to echo on what others have said **SPOILERS**
Nov 21st 2005
sounds like final book may be 2007 as well.
Nov 21st 2005
Just saw the movie
Nov 25th 2005
enjoyed it, though it was long as fuck
Nov 21st 2005
Best Harry Potter Movie So Far...
Nov 21st 2005
Not that good...
Nov 21st 2005
Steven Kloves has the hardest job in Hollywood. *spoilers*
Nov 21st 2005
A REQUEST - Fill-in the blanks
Nov 21st 2005
Umm
Nov 23rd 2005
where is everyone? where any "discussion"?
Nov 22nd 2005
that was soooo dope. really. props to them for pulling it off.
Nov 22nd 2005
amazing movie *spoilers*
Nov 23rd 2005
It was too long, very little action, and 2 many teenaged hissy-fits
Nov 22nd 2005
i liked it, but it was my least fav of the potter flicks so far
Nov 23rd 2005
dear victor krum
Nov 24th 2005
Disappointing
Nov 25th 2005
ya'll ready harry potter books
Nov 25th 2005
you listen to dfa
Nov 26th 2005
      Ain't nothing wrong with either
Nov 28th 2005
My opinion
Nov 25th 2005
My opinion
Nov 25th 2005
very scary
Nov 26th 2005
      She's 16
Nov 28th 2005
finally saw it
Nov 26th 2005
RE: finally saw it
Nov 27th 2005
find the audiobooks
Nov 27th 2005
It was my favorite one, despite leaving a lot out
Nov 28th 2005
Too bad Hermaily (spl) and Ron are turning out to be shit actors
Nov 28th 2005
Radcliffe is much less horrible
Nov 30th 2005
Ron can act!
Dec 01st 2005
Hated it
Dec 02nd 2005
saw it on IMAX
Dec 02nd 2005

Friscos Finest
Member since Apr 20th 2005
2887 posts
Thu Nov-17-05 09:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "First!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

got tix for midnight

Allah
Charter member
47756 posts
Thu Nov-17-05 09:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "I'm takin' my mentees to see it at midnite....."
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.facebook.com/divineruler
__gigs__
__stuff__

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Thu Nov-17-05 10:52 PM

3. "GYEAH"
In response to Reply # 0

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

Allah
Charter member
47756 posts
Fri Nov-18-05 03:54 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Welp, this movie is rated PG-13 for a good reason :/ (I saw it)"
In response to Reply # 0

Please don't take your children to this unless you
can explain the mature subject matter in this film.
Peace.

http://www.facebook.com/divineruler
__gigs__
__stuff__

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Fri Nov-18-05 09:28 AM

6. "if you know the books, no surprise"
In response to Reply # 4

there was literally no way they could make this innocuous for little kids without changing everything that happens afterwards. but that's what makes us adults love them too.

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

RaqRaq
Member since Mar 24th 2005
584 posts
Mon Nov-21-05 05:29 PM

42. "RE: if you know the books, no surprise"
In response to Reply # 6

Harry Potter is not for little kids.

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil." - Psalm 23
"A thousand may fall at my side, and ten thousand at my right hand; but it (evil) will not come near me." - Psalm 91

dgonsh
Member since Aug 14th 2002
10693 posts
Fri Nov-18-05 05:14 AM

5. "i have not seen any of the harry potters"
In response to Reply # 0

but for some reason i want to see this. then again, i doubt i will. i never saw any of the lord of the rings either. i saw 20 mins of both first movies. the first harry, and fellowship. beyond that, ive seen nothing. one weekend ill do them all.

"I *always* quote myself. I'm the only reliable source on *most* subjects" - OKP's First Lady of Knowledge, Janey

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Fri Nov-18-05 12:27 PM

9. "RE: Ummmmmm"
In response to Reply # 5

one weekend ill do them all.

No homo?

dgonsh
Member since Aug 14th 2002
10693 posts
Sat Nov-19-05 02:37 AM

21. "thanks for that, lol. so necessary."
In response to Reply # 9

"I *always* quote myself. I'm the only reliable source on *most* subjects" - OKP's First Lady of Knowledge, Janey

2nd2Nun
Member since Oct 27th 2004
783 posts
Fri Nov-18-05 10:15 AM

7. "so juiced"
In response to Reply # 0

can't see it til Sat. morning but then i'll follow that up with it on imax that night....yeah!

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Fri Nov-18-05 11:55 AM

8. "It was pretty good (spoiler-free review)"
In response to Reply # 0

I felt lilke it didn't reach the level of sophistication of the 3rd, but that it was enjoyable.

GOOD:
1. The acting. Harry's better than he's ever been, and the teachers all look like they're having fun, ESPECIALLY Gleeson and Fiennes, both of whom are brilliant.
2. The special effects. They're a bit faker than the last movie, but some of them, especially the dragon and Voldemort-related effects, are quite good.
3. The pace. It's EXTREMELY quickly paced, and doesn't feel nearly like a 2:40 movie.

BAD:
1. The style. The film went back to the "Look at how amazing these special effects are!" style that the first two had that the third one ditched in favor of a "We live in a world of magic, so it doesn't make sense to visually ooh and ahh at every CGI effect we show you." The effects feel less casual, and every big one is greeted with a large swell of the orchestra and is greeted with a big "Ta-da!" What I loved most about the 3rd one was how the magic was part of their lives, and was more in the background so that the focus was all on the characters. This one, while a more action-heavy movie, I still felt like there was a LOT of flash and not as much substance.
2. The character development. Aside from some decent time spent on Harry, the movie skims over relationships between EVERYONE. Ron and Hermione have one scene to touch on their changing relationship, and it's done so suddenly that it doesn't make sense. Harry and Cho speak once. Hermione and Krum don't speak at all, I think. There's a lot of favoring the action instead of character.
3. The length. The movie is so fast-paced, an extra 15-20 minutes wouldn't have hurt.

In short, I liked it a lot, and it's the 2nd best. But it's a decent-sized cry from the third.

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Fri Nov-18-05 02:04 PM

11. "not fair"
In response to Reply # 8

how are you going to turn a book that long into a movie that isn't five hours long without losing something?

----
bshelly

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Fri Nov-18-05 03:00 PM

14. "I'm not talking about the film as an adaptation of the book"
In response to Reply # 11

I'm talking about as a movie, there's not enough character development. If I hadn't read the book, I wouldn't know why Hermione chose Krum, or why she got upset at Ron's behavior, or why everyone loved Harry again all of a sudden after the first task... there's just a lot of interesting potential for character drama that felt skimmed over, like the filmmakers said, "We know you've read the book, so we don't need to establish WHY characters are acting this way, since you'll fill in the blanks for yourself."

Someone said to me it felt as if every scene was about 20 seconds too short, and I agree...the film felt very choppily edited and as a result seemed to be more of a mish-mash of action sequences than an actual movie. There's a lot of really REALLY great stuff going on in the film, but when you don't understand the relationships of characters, it makes the appreciation hard.

Shit, even I thought in the movie, "Why are Hermione and Ron all of a sudden acting like they like each other?" There's not even a HINT of it in this movie and all of a sudden they act like they'd been dating for months and had just broke up. It's things like THAT that make you scratch your head and think, "Why not just add another minute and a half of footage that supports Ron and Hermione having romantic tension?"

I don't care what was left out of the book. The World Cup? Fine, it's for budgetary purposes, understood. The House Elfs? Good fucking riddance, I hate those bastards. Rita Skeeter? I don't see the point of including her in only two scenes and then not giving her story any resolution (ESPECIALLY because her being a bug plays into future movies), but whatever, it didn't distract me, I'm cool with that.

I believe that when a filmmaker adapts a book, he reserves the right to cut or change as much as he wants, as long as it stays true to the feel of the book (unless it's an intentional experiment on the core material). This movie attempted that admirably, considering the heft of the original source. However, another 20 minutes, not even of events, but merely character development, whether or not it was scenes actually in the book, would've helped this film a LOT.

If I was going to add ANYTHING from the book to help this, it would be to explore Harry's feeling of isolation when everyone hates him and has the "POTTER STINKS" buttons. It's touched upon in one scene, and in the next scene everyone likes him again. For a teenage boy to have all of his friends against him has a LOT of potential to really raise Harry's emotional stakes and to increase the drama in his life when he already has more than he can chew with dreams of Voldemort and the Tri-Wizard Tournament. It would've added character development to Harry, Ron, Hermione (why does she stick by him when no one else does? No sign of why in the movie), and it would've added some more Malfoy (who's in the movie twice).

All I'm saying is, cut events to your heart's content. But when you cut so much character development that you're not clear what the relationships are between the three main friends, there's a problem.

el_rey
Charter member
5626 posts
Mon Nov-21-05 11:59 AM

33. "this was helpful"
In response to Reply # 14

Damn, I been living under a damn rock ... see what happens when you count on OKP for your connection to the outside world, and you don't come round for a couple weeks.

Anyway ...

>If I hadn't read the book, I wouldn't know why
>Hermione chose Krum, or why she got upset at Ron's behavior,
>or why everyone loved Harry again all of a sudden after the
>first task... there's just a lot of interesting potential for
>character drama that felt skimmed over, like the filmmakers
>said, "We know you've read the book, so we don't need to
>establish WHY characters are acting this way, since you'll
>fill in the blanks for yourself."

So ... I haven't read ANY of the books and gave enjoyed all of the past movies. Do you know if the previous movies have been made with the assumption that one should read the books first in order to make sense of the actions of the people involved? For me it wasn't necessary, but reading this makes me think about it. Is this something that you need to do in order to "get" this movie. I too think that they sould just take the extra time to make it emotionally complete for those of us that haven't read the book.

In any event, I'm geeked. I'll see it this week sometime. Sad to hear they didn't keep the feel of the last movie (which was brilliant), but at this point I'll take anything and know that it will give me my fantasy fix.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
who are you

really

RaqRaq
Member since Mar 24th 2005
584 posts
Mon Nov-21-05 05:36 PM

44. "RE: this was helpful"
In response to Reply # 33

In my opinion, the other movies followed the story and the character development seen in the books a little better. This 4th movie was entertaining, but it could have used more character development. It also wasn't as dark as the books, which also took some of the excitement out of the movie for me. The books are mega long, and I've never read them. However, I've listened to the audio books which you can get from any library, that are excellent. The books are by far more enjoyable than the movies.

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil." - Psalm 23
"A thousand may fall at my side, and ten thousand at my right hand; but it (evil) will not come near me." - Psalm 91

ororo_munroe
Charter member
9356 posts
Mon Nov-21-05 05:37 PM

45. "I think you're right about adding a little more time."
In response to Reply # 14

You knew that Cedric's dad loved the HELL out of that boy (I think it was even MORE apparent in the movie than it was in the book...), and you only saw them together twice, and not for very long before Harry brought him back from the graveyard, and pops was a mess.

MiQL
Member since Sep 03rd 2002
7208 posts
Fri Nov-18-05 02:12 PM

12. "Not nearly as good as Azkaban."
In response to Reply # 8
Fri Nov-18-05 02:29 PM by MiQL

And you mapped those reasons out quite well.
Many of the scenes left me more w/ a 'huh?' than an 'ah!'
(*especially the Ron/Hermione scenes)

Krum epitomized the flat-character in a book that's strongest
appeal is its characterization. The Weasely Twins are an overused
condom at this point. The director did Cedric dirty in this film, too.

Maybe this will go the oppostite route of Stark Trek. Perhaps the
odd-numbered Potter films are guaranteed to be the better ones.

>BAD:
>1. The style.
>2. The character development.

Toothpick
Charter member
3084 posts
Sat Nov-19-05 07:29 PM

24. "nail on head"
In response to Reply # 8
Sat Nov-19-05 07:35 PM by Toothpick

especially with the character development. I haven't read any of the books, so when Hermione suddenly blows up at dude during the prom I had no idea what was going on. Rather than blaming the movie I assumed I had missed something from the first two movies (which I fell asleep during).

Azkabahn is the only one I really felt.

I liked Goblet despite all the problems you listed...but above all it felt like it was just laying groundwork for future storylines, clumsily (and rather crudely) setting up character relations and bringing that ugly dude back to life.

A lot of shit happened, good exciting funny thrilling shit...but I never really got the point of anything. It lacked a clear story arc.

peace.

----------------------------------------------

http://fivedeadlyeverythings.wordpress.com
bamf.

el_rey
Charter member
5626 posts
Mon Nov-21-05 12:02 PM

34. "this scares me"
In response to Reply # 24

i haven't read any of the books either, and I've seen and thoroughly enjoyed all of the movies.

I fear being left with this "huh? slow down"-feeling at the end of this one. I guess I just need to see it and decide for myself.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
who are you

really

Toothpick
Charter member
3084 posts
Mon Nov-21-05 01:39 PM

38. "it's not that stuff doesn't make sense"
In response to Reply # 34

it's that it doesn't make *perfect* sense. you know? you're able to fill in the gaps yourself pretty easily, it just would've been a much better movie if you didn't have to do so.

peace.

bamf.

SienaBlaze
Charter member
2596 posts
Mon Nov-21-05 09:09 AM

31. "The scene with the Pensive"
In response to Reply # 8

I read the book and I couldn't remember exactly why Dumbledore wanted Harry to view that memory.

Siena Blaze

dkos22
Member since Jul 07th 2005
251 posts
Fri Nov-18-05 02:04 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "from a non-harry potter fan..."
In response to Reply # 0

caught the 12:05am showing @ the bridge in the imax theatre with my wife (who's an huge HP fan)

i haven't read the book but really enjoyed this movie - i liked the darkness and maturity of the characters - was very impressed with the special effects, especially the underwater scenes. wifey tells me that a lot was missing from the book but she still enjoyed it thoroughly.

i've seen the other 3 movies and this one is by far the best, IMHO

peace

power concedes nothing without a demand - frederick douglass

Invisiblist
Charter member
33760 posts
Fri Nov-18-05 02:41 PM

13. "Bitching and praising (spoilers)"
In response to Reply # 0

#1 for readers, the flick got off to a VERY SHAKY START. There was no Weasleys / Privet drive stuff, they showed NONE of the Quidditch World Cup finals, and the first death eaters scene didn't convey the terror that it did in the books.

#2 Luckily, once the kids got to school, everything kicked in for the most part. The man that played Mad Eye Moody was insanely on point. (Yes I know it wasn't really Moody) The scene where he seemed completely out of control teaching the kids...then calmed down to show them the severity of the Imperius Curse was masterful. Which brings me to...

#3 Neville Longbottom. Neville got a LOT of shine in this movie, more than in the book, for sure. The range they gave Neville was great, from being excited over herbology to wincing from the thought of his parents being under the Cruciatus Curse when he saw it for the first time. It would seem to me that the conscious decision to leave certain things out of the movies but ADD to the Neville stuff is a hint-and-a-half that yes, Neville is going to be a VERY important character come book 7.

#4 Oh, but then they fudged the first challenge, the dragon. They did exactly what they did with the Quidditch World Cup, and completely skipped everything that shoul've given us a real reason to feel as the characters did. We didn't really get to experience the terror of Harry sitting there hearing the other champions vs. the dragon, instead we dissolve from Cedric leaving the tent straight to Harry's name being called as the last contestant.

#5 We never really feel that the other champions in the tournament are even factors. We're TOLD (as is Harry) that they are forces to be reckoned with, but just like we're TOLD that Tom Hanks is a badass in Road to Perdition, we never really believe it because we never SEE it.

#6 SNAPE ROCKS.

#7 SNAPE ROCKS.

I could go on and on, but there will be much discussion coming...

YaBoy...Holla@ME
Member since Mar 10th 2005
3164 posts
Fri Nov-18-05 03:40 PM

15. "RE: HARRY POTTER AND THE GOBLET OF FIRE IS HERE"
In response to Reply # 0

fuck Harry Potter

we sold out 5 theatres of the midnight showing last night

i didnt get out of that god forsaken theatre untill 315 closing the goddamn concession stand

bitches

Avy: Tyrion disrespects King Joffrey yet again

"If your life consists of NO drankin, NO drugs, NO loose booty, NO fatty foods, NO additives, NO preservatives, AND no waings.......then what the fuck you wanna live so long for, boring ass n****?" - Tay

Invisiblist
Charter member
33760 posts
Fri Nov-18-05 05:19 PM

17. "how old are you? Get up outta that theater."
In response to Reply # 15

Get a real job! I used to do that, it's just not enough money now, even management. How much you make?

YaBoy...Holla@ME
Member since Mar 10th 2005
3164 posts
Mon Nov-21-05 05:27 PM

41. "RE: how old are you? Get up outta that theater."
In response to Reply # 17

im 18 and i make 7 an hour

and im lookin for a new job but im also very lazy

Avy: Tyrion disrespects King Joffrey yet again

"If your life consists of NO drankin, NO drugs, NO loose booty, NO fatty foods, NO additives, NO preservatives, AND no waings.......then what the fuck you wanna live so long for, boring ass n****?" - Tay

theprofessional
Charter member
8761 posts
Fri Nov-18-05 04:28 PM

16. "anchor"
In response to Reply # 0

"i smack clowns with nouns, punch herbs with verbs..."

MeAnD_7
Charter member
756 posts
Fri Nov-18-05 05:25 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
18. "resurrect richard harris"
In response to Reply # 0

i haven't seen the movie but based on the commercials and the 3rd movie, i am just not feeling this dumbledore.

i don't know maybe becuz harris was near death that's why his demeanor was more relaxed and easy but whatever the reason, it worked.

this new guy doesn't work for me.

can't wait to see ralph fiennes tho.

Invisiblist
Charter member
33760 posts
Fri Nov-18-05 11:39 PM

19. "I like this Dumbledore."
In response to Reply # 18

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Sat Nov-19-05 01:41 AM

20. "Cosign."
In response to Reply # 19

DVS
Member since Sep 13th 2002
19730 posts
Mon Nov-21-05 12:43 PM

37. "I didn't like Dumbledore last film...I think he nailed it this film..."
In response to Reply # 18

Granted, his Dumbledore is more physical than the regal portrayal that Richard Harris put forth...but in the films to come? I think this characteristic will suit the series better.

Honestly? I'm worried that Minerva is going to die before they get done. She was looking a bit...uh...shriveled this flick.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Waldorf and Statler Vol 4:CONAN IS OUT NOW!!!: http://waldorfandstatler.bandcamp.com

and don't forget to check "DVS 4 ALDERMAN"

http://windimoto.bandcamp.com/album/dvs-4-alderman-bandcamp-exclusive-expanded-editio

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Tue Nov-22-05 09:11 PM

49. "word. i thought that same thing (regarding prof mcgonagall)."
In response to Reply # 37

i MUCH prefer the original dumbledore. i still haven't gotten accustomed to the new one yet.

i hope she lasts, because she was looking wild feeble.

one cool piece was in the pensieve memory -- the young dumbledore was looking quite gully, like mr. i'll fuckawizardup.

peace & blessings,

x.

sigless for the summer, y'all.

Ms_MynTight
Member since Jun 01st 2002
4073 posts
Sat Nov-19-05 11:25 AM

22. "Harry...."
In response to Reply # 0

The first thing one has to say is that they have to get a move on...those kids are growing and fast! Ron is buff man!
I did feel a lil different about this Dumbledore...he seemed to talk more and seemed well...more ordinary....and I really wish they could have included Doby and the house elves. I thought Hermoine's crusade was apart of what created the distance between she and the others. Overall, I thought this movie was alright...IF you have at least seen the previous three.....I just wished they would have peter jacksoned' it....and filmed straight through.....

"we lift our voices...to say thank You...for Your goodness"

"If ya dont know...now ya knnnooooww"/ C. Wallace

shygurl
Member since Oct 08th 2002
13361 posts
Sat Nov-19-05 01:45 PM

23. "I liked it a lot."
In response to Reply # 0

It was much darker then the previous films, and contained less of the disney factor and more of the teen nick factor. Only really a few issues.

-I hated the way Madame (blah blah blah - head mistress for the girls school) was portrayed. She looked too old, and they could of touched on the self hatred issues since they insinuated the relationship btw her and Hagrid.

-I didn't like the scene in the graveyard, or more accurately the set. It looked too high schoolish, I was waiting for somebody to walk by in a tree costume.

-I liked the dragon scene, but I felt it was over done.

-More interaction btw Harry and Cho.

A few more minor complaints but otherwise the film was great. I like growth of the characters, they've put them in more 'teenage' outfits and language.

One last thing I noticed, Harry Potter got them George Bush lips.

I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.

— F. Scott Fitzgerald

Toothpick
Charter member
3084 posts
Sat Nov-19-05 07:33 PM

25. "hahah yea"
In response to Reply # 23

>-I didn't like the scene in the graveyard, or more accurately
>the set. It looked too high schoolish, I was waiting for
>somebody to walk by in a tree costume.

That shit was so fake looking I never took any of it seriously. I thought it was all a dream sequence or a part of his challenge or something like that. The whole scene was too surreal, which I think took away from what they were trying to do.

bamf.

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Sat Nov-19-05 07:40 PM

26. "$36 million. In one day."
In response to Reply # 0

And, we know, 50 Lost. Again.

From boxofficeguru.com:

>>UPDATED - 4:30pm EST

Wizards of all ages flocked to the megaplexes on Friday driving Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire to one of the largest opening day grosses in box office history with an estimated one-day tally of $36M. The eye-popping figure was collected in 3,858 theaters, including Imax locations, giving Warner Bros. a stunning per-theater estimate of $9,331 in only one day. Official studio numbers will be released on Sunday.

The towering opening day gross for Goblet came close to the $38.3M first-day tally for the last film in the series Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban which launched in June of 2004. Goblet easily beat out the opening days of the first two Potter pics, Sorcerer's Stone and Chamber of Secrets, by 10% and 20% respectively, if estimates hold.

Azkaban captured a very high 41% of its total weekend gross on Friday, however it opened in June when many students were not in school. The previous Potter pics, which both bowed in mid-November, generated 34-36% of their total opening weekends on their Fridays. Given its magical opening day strength, Goblet of Fire might soar to $91-96M for the full three-day weekend.

Fox opened its Johnny Cash biopic Walk the Line to the tune of $7.7M on Friday, according to estimates. The Joaquin Phoenix-Reese Witherspoon film should find its way to $21-23M for the frame for a strong second place showing.

Among holdovers, Friday-to-Friday declines were 71% for Chicken Little, 73% for Zathura, 56% for Derailed, and 72% for Get Rich or Die Tryin'.
________________________________________________________________________________________
<------ Thanks for putting on a great show over the years, man.

neptunewan
Member since Mar 08th 2005
3 posts
Sun Nov-20-05 05:00 PM

28. "101 million in one weekend!"
In response to Reply # 26

i knew i was going to see it, but i didnt hear this much buzz for it...

'Harry Potter' Dominates Box Office
Nov 20, 2:25 PM EST

The bespectacled boy wizard has worked his biggest box-office magic to date.

"Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" grossed $101.4 million in its debut weekend, the best results yet for the franchise, according to studio estimates released Sunday.

The latest Potter movie led a lineup that helped reverse the Hollywood box-office slump, with the top 12 films raking in $171 million, up 19 percent from the same weekend last year when "National Treasure" was No. 1 with $35.1 million.

"Goblet of Fire" was the fourth-best, three-day opening weekend ever, behind "Spider-Man" at $114.8 million in 2002 and "Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith" and "Shrek 2," at $108 million apiece.

"Let's see your Tiger's Crane match my Eagle's Claw!" Pai Mei

normal35762
Member since Oct 20th 2004
13246 posts
Sun Nov-20-05 04:08 PM

27. "damn this movie went right under my radar."
In response to Reply # 0

havent watched alot of tv lately but i didnt hear nothing about it.

el_rey
Charter member
5626 posts
Mon Nov-21-05 12:09 PM

35. "LOL me too"
In response to Reply # 27
Mon Nov-21-05 12:09 PM by el_rey

forst I'm hearing about it right now.

I'll be seeing it soon

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
who are you

really

Nettrice
Charter member
61747 posts
Sun Nov-20-05 07:54 PM

29. "Ron Weasley/Rupert Grint is SEXY?"
In response to Reply # 0

I took my 13 year old mentee/lil sis to see the movie and she really liked it...we both liked it and now she loves Ron Weasley. There's was so much angst in this one that it's hard not to be attracted to the characters.

I give it a A- (the book was an A).

<--- Blame this lady for Nutty.

ororo_munroe
Charter member
9356 posts
Mon Nov-21-05 03:03 PM

39. "i thought he was kinda hot in the last movie."
In response to Reply # 29

lol.

*keeps it moving*

JungleSouljah
Member since Sep 24th 2002
14987 posts
Mon Nov-21-05 02:01 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
30. "Just to echo on what others have said **SPOILERS**"
In response to Reply # 0

More character development was definitely needed. I was disappointed I didn't get to see more of the teachers although I don't remember how strongly they were featured in the book. Oh well. We could have definitely used elaborations on the various new relationships that were springing up.

The dragon scene needed something added and something taken away. It irked me, but I can't put my finger on how exactly.

Ralph Fiennes is fucking amazing. He's 2 for 2 in terms of owning movies this year. Great, great, great casting decision. Great work on casting everyone in Goblet actually.

Daniel Radcliffe is really coming along nicely. How old is he going to be when they get around to making the 7th book into a film? Hell, how old am I going to be? I may have a kid of my own by that point.

Emma Watson's Hermoine is starting to enter the Hot Zone. I'm going to hell for that, but it's true. I'll be winning my Book 5 bet I think. A friend and I made a bet after the first film, how long it was going to take Emma Watson to achieve "hotness". I said Book 5, he said Book 6.

I think the movie overall had a nice vibe and was well paced. Yeah a lot of things could be done differently, but you'd have to add a lot to the movie. There wasn't much within the film itself I would have changed. This'll probably be the one the fans look back on and think, "It really could have been better". It was probably better than the first two, but the starting material wasn't nearly as strong as GOF.

Did anyone else hate the KKK style Death Eater garb? Not a good look at all.
I'm officially stoked for Order of the Phoenix. Roll on 2007. What are we going to get first, Phoenix movie or the final book?

The 4th Annual Residency Encampment: Where do we go from here?

All you see is crime in the source code.

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Mon Nov-21-05 11:52 PM

47. "sounds like final book may be 2007 as well."
In response to Reply # 30

she's writing it next year (those parts that aren't already done, that is)

----
bshelly

punkhopjazcee
Member since Oct 03rd 2005
5239 posts
Fri Nov-25-05 10:48 PM

58. "Just saw the movie"
In response to Reply # 30

8-9 hrs ago. KKK robes, true.

Iltigo
Charter member
8609 posts
Mon Nov-21-05 11:28 AM

32. "enjoyed it, though it was long as fuck"
In response to Reply # 0

mike newell's pacing was the only issuied i had.
i rememebr the last one moving along at a faster clip than this one.

there were some moments that seemdt odrag.

and i can see the once criticism of the books coming back to really bite themovies in the ass.

the third act resolution where everything is explained to harry and rolled out for him, will really get old by the half blood prince.

but overall i put this right below the prisoner of azkaban as my favorite.

i can't wait for order of the pheonix to see the shit really hit the fan.

return to your home citizens

madagascar titties- (c) phontiggalo the rap jiggalo

I would never, ever hit a woman....but i'll beat a bitch (c) wifey

DVS
Member since Sep 13th 2002
19730 posts
Mon Nov-21-05 12:35 PM

36. "Best Harry Potter Movie So Far..."
In response to Reply # 0

which, considering it was covering the best Harry Potter BOOK so far, is pretty fucking consistent.

I love how the focus of the film changed considerably. As they get older...they don't focus as much on their relationship with Hagrid and Dumbledore...

The movie was EXTREMELY long...but it didn't seem that long because the moments were not wasted in the least.

The Mad Dog character was the highlight of the film to me.

I'm kinda on the fence about the way Ralph Fiennes played "You-Know-Who"....he was aiming a bit more comedic than I would have liked. Truth is..."YOU KNOW WHO" is dangerous as fuck, straight up and down...there is nothing jokey joke ha-ha funny about him.

All in all...I loved the film. Highly recommended.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Waldorf and Statler Vol 4:CONAN IS OUT NOW!!!: http://waldorfandstatler.bandcamp.com

and don't forget to check "DVS 4 ALDERMAN"

http://windimoto.bandcamp.com/album/dvs-4-alderman-bandcamp-exclusive-expanded-editio

Whiteout
Member since Aug 30th 2005
3577 posts
Mon Nov-21-05 03:19 PM

40. "Not that good..."
In response to Reply # 0

When did the wizard world start wearing plain clothes?

The movie never recovered its pace after that.

I'll agree with whoever said this flick was an fx fest.
It reminded me of the new star wars movie...
both in respect to the overload of fx and the declining everything else.

. . .
psn: sirius_fruits

but that shit's stupid though.

ororo_munroe
Charter member
9356 posts
Mon Nov-21-05 05:34 PM

43. "Steven Kloves has the hardest job in Hollywood. *spoilers*"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Nov-21-05 05:39 PM by ororo_munroe

Lucrative as all hell, but HARD AS FUCK. He has to please big-wig studio execs, throngs of adoring fans, and Jo Rowling, for whom Harry Potter is a cash cow beyond her wildest dreams...beyond the fact that she lives and breathes this story and has done so for over a decade now.

So naturally, for all the gushing, his attempt is imperfect.

We all knew it would be...as they have been in the past.

When, in Prisoner of Azkaban, it was never mentioned that Prongs, Padfoot, Mooney, and Wormtail = James Potter, Sirius, Lupin, and Peter Pedigrew, and the true depth of their collective friendship was only alluded to a couple of times (like, they never mentioned that three of them learned to be animaguses for the sole purpose of dealing with Lupin during his werewolf phase), it struck me that the degree to which "heart" serves as a center piece in the books is necessarily diminished because of the limitations of "film," namely time constraints. Or perhaps the unlimited resources are the problem...like if they were on a shoestring budget, they might focus more on the acting and the characters because they couldn't afford 15 minutes of a flying Bulgarian horntail).

I don't think any fan of the Potter series reasonably expected 700+ pages to be effectively made into a big budget, wide-ranging movie without losing some of what made it so wonderful to begin with.

And so it is that the book is, indeed, better. No revelation there.

That said, the movie was, nonetheless, amazing. I'm going to sound hyper-critical because, well, I'm nitpicky, but I thought the movie was a solid go and trying to capture the things that happen in this book, leading up to Voldemort's corporal resurrection.

I'm no special effects geek, but it all looked and sounded pretty damn good to me. I felt like I was at the quidditch world cup, except, I do feel like something's amiss when the visuals are that good, and there's no proper quidditch match. I mean, we didn't get to see why Krum was so amazing, and why it should have been really shocking when he walked into the school.

Acting-wise, the kids are getting more and more complex, which is another word for "confusing."

Ah to be a teenager again. Even so, the Ball scene ending with Hermione sitting on the steps, taking her shoe off and rubbing her foot...um...weird.

So since I'm talking about the Yule Ball, I'll say that my biggest criticism of the whole movie is that I AM disappointed in that the relatonships in this movie got the shaft. You assume that Cho is important to Cedric (btw, HOW CUTE WAS KATIE LEUNG WITH HER SCOTTISH SELF???) because she was tied up for him to save in the second challenge, and she went to the ball with him, but nowhere do you see her interacting with him in a way that that would actually make sense.

Same thing with Krum and Hermo-ninny.

Even Fleur. We didn't really get to see much from her at all. And actually, she seems mad weak as of now. We didn't see her fight the dragon. She was dq'd from the diving challenge, and the first one out in the maze. I know that's what happens in the book, but I feel like we got more of a well-rounded snapshot of who she is in the book. If I hadn't read the book, and just saw the movie, I would have wondered how she made it into the TriWizard Tourney to begin with.

Hell, same thing with Hermione and Ron. I think I need to re-read because I don't remember them being to "blatant" with their feelings so soon in the series. I mean, clearly Ron was hating, but the way he reacted to Hermione calling him out at the dance didn't even phase him mopiness. At the very least, you'd think he'd give an inkling that she has exposed something that wasn't out in the open before, but it was like nothing happened...like Ron was just being moody in general.

And even in terms of really *feeling* the impact of Cedric's death...we didn't really see what a great guy he is, and why Cho, and the whole school would be DEVASTATED by his murder...not just saddened. I remember Dumbledore's speech at the end had me BAWLING on the public bus when I read the book. Of course I was crying at the end of the movie, because that's just how I do (I got teary the moment Cedric first came on screen...the tears started flowing when his dad gave him that big ol' hug before he went into the maze...when his blue ghost said, "Take my body back" it was a WRAP!), but it wasn't the same punch-in-the-gut loss I felt when I read it. Also, there was no exploration of Harry's sadness and regret about his choice to "save" Cedric and to go for the cup at the same time. I thought that spoke to a part of Harry's character that we hadn't seen before in the books, but they cut it out of the movie. Also, in the book, didn't Dumbledore tell EVERYONE that with Voldemort's return, that everyone would have to choose a side, and that when that time to decide comes, for them to remember Cedric? That really got to me emotionally, but again, it wasn't in the movie. He reserved the language about choices for Harry and Harry only.

I love Neville Longbottem to DEATH. He was dynamite this movie, and I think Kloves definitely did him right by setting up his increasing importance in the story. He's just where he needs to be for Order of the Phoenix

As was already mentioned, Mad-Eye Moody was marvelously on-point as played by Brendan Gleeson. Though, again, I guess I have to re-read the book, but I'm not sure why he was so vicious toward Malfoy if he was the "bad guy" the whole time? Why'd he even show the Unforgivable Curses, and why was he so compassionate toward Neville afterward? Then again, what was it he gave to Neville? I can't remember right now...

And while I'm talking about Barty Crouch Jr. as Moody...how about those re-writes, eh? I know they've had to tweak and edit here and there in the other movies, but I don't remember any subplots being completely re-written as dramatically as they were in this installment.

-So an audience member who did not read the book is to believe that Barty Crouch Jr. just slipped out of Azkaban when there was an all out, relentless search for Sirius all through Prisoner of Azkaban? I mean, it can turn out that they go back and fill in the blanks in the fifth movie in a way that's close to the way the "Barty Crouch hiding his son in his basement for the last umpteen years" situation went...perhaps that's why they kept saying how much it broke Crouch Sr.'s heart to put his own son away.

-No house elves at ALL? No Dobby stealing the gillyweed and telling him, "They've got your Weezy!" No Winky getting faded off the pumpkin juice? (BTW, she was so important to the Barty Crouch story, but whatever...)

-In the beginning, they didn't have the cloud of suspicion around Harry because the first Dark Mark was done with HIS wand.

-(Almost) No Rita Skeeter? She was a riot...Miranda player her pitch perfect, and the fact that she disappeared after the first challenge was a bit hard to swallow. No animagus revelation! No fun! That was Hermione's cerberal project in Goblet of Fire.

-So Filch is a clown now? Not really a "re-write," but an interesting twist nonetheless. That fool had me cracking up everytime he came on screen. Slow dancing with Mrs. Norris? Come ON! lol.

I'm sure there were more, but I guess they don't really matter anyways.

One last thing. I realize this is a dumb observation, but am I the only person who thought "Them chicks is AKA than a MUG!" when the French girls came in?

And then when the swarthy East European dudes came in with the canes...I was like, "You're kidding. They had the girls come in like AKAs and the dudes come in like Kappas, what's REALLY going on though?"

Maybe that was just me...

Sorry for the rambling. The movie's not fresh in my mind since I saw it one Friday...but I'll be seeing it again this weekend. This is the best my brain can do for now.

el_rey
Charter member
5626 posts
Mon Nov-21-05 09:44 PM

46. "A REQUEST - Fill-in the blanks"
In response to Reply # 0

Okay ... as someone who has not read the books, and is anticipating seeing the movie sometime this week, I'd like a little help.

Could someone who knows this shit in and out PLEASE fill a brother in? It seems that there are some pretty glaring omissions in this movie in terms of character/relationship development (people saying "because I read the book, I knew that _________ was really happening"), so could you let me know some of the nuances that are explained in the book that aren't covered in the movie?

yes, I am anticipating mad spoilers here.

Please introduce any characters who the movies haven't dealt with before and expand upon their characters and the relationships that are needed to understand the movie deeper than is being portrayed.

Don't forget to indicate spoilers in the title if you're going there. I don't mind them at all, and will enjoy the movie moreso if I have the additional information.

peace, and thanks,
el rey

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
who are you

really

SienaBlaze
Charter member
2596 posts
Wed Nov-23-05 12:39 PM

52. "Umm"
In response to Reply # 46

your asking a lot. this book is over 700 pages.

Siena Blaze

ororo_munroe
Charter member
9356 posts
Tue Nov-22-05 05:28 PM

48. "where is everyone? where any "discussion"?"
In response to Reply # 0

LET'S DISCUSS BAMMAS!

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Tue Nov-22-05 09:40 PM

50. "that was soooo dope. really. props to them for pulling it off."
In response to Reply # 0

i thought the pacing was great, all things considered (700 pages: reductio!!!)

i thought they did a great job in capturing the rivalry/jealousy on ron's part. i mean, c'mon, who wants to be the sidekick ALL the time?

they are teens, and social relationships are more important than ever.

peer pressure beckons. i broke it down for my oldest kids (13 yr old daughter, 11 and 9 yr old sons) on the way home, as far as the themes rowling has introduced and highlighted in the book and film:

the importance of friendship AND individuality. strained allegiances (self or others?). the way that people tend to do evil in groups. i thought the black robes (although i hate the white western good/white black/evil dichotomy with a passion) was spot in in paralleling the death eaters with the klan. wizards wear robes anyway, so it was much better than, say, a nazi allusion. in any event, those types are all cut from the same cloth.

near the end, dumbledore says to harry that the time is coming when he'll have to choose between what's right and what is easy. as a parent, i'm biting that shit. i asked my kids what it meant and they understood.

they gave a *slight* glimpse of harry's isolation when they showed the looks of disgust on ppl's faces when harry was chosen. it's gonna be worse next year when everyone suspects harry killed ced.

neville was *great*. it's a shame that nobody knew why he was so freaked out about seeing the unforgiveable curses -- that his parents were tortured and killed.

i love the weasley twins. they're great. all of the kids were dope. parvati was beautiful, as was cho. they captured how ron and harry did them dirty. hermione was whoa. as the father of a teenaged daughter, i don't like how this is unfolding at all. cats is already starting to sweat her.

the movie -- i wonder how much was written w/ foreknowledge of the half-blood prince, because i sensed a LOT of foreshadowing. fucking snape.

and yo, the myrtle scene. ni&&as was flirting w/ that pg-13, wasn't they? i can see her tryna get hers, cuz she a ghost. but i was like, dayum, guhl, back up off him, why dontcha?

these bammas made hedges scary. f*cking HEDGES???

they managed to make voldemort's scene at the end SCARY and menacing and heavy. and his 'monologue' (*wink at Incredibles*) at least explained why he tried to joker young harry rather than just murk him and be done with it. is that the way it ended in the book?

dude that played moody was great. it was funny how he f*cked wit malfoy. hmmm. in trying to second guess the script (ie, why did he go out his way to do that). you saw harry smile then for the first time in several scenes. he was trying to gain harry's confidence, and how better to do that than to mess w/ his enemy?

he was showing mad partiality to him (the little point at the maze??) -- now it makes sense, because he needed harry to win the tri-wiz in order to set his plan off.

VERY good movie. (the snake scene and graveyard were kinda cheesy at the opening. other than that, effects were good. the volde-morphing was crazy. and you see how he played wormtail (give me your OTHER hand?))

i'm siced for the next joints.

peace & blessings,

x.

sigless for the summer, y'all.

el_rey
Charter member
5626 posts
Wed Nov-23-05 10:56 PM

54. "amazing movie *spoilers*"
In response to Reply # 50

Just got back from it

>i thought the pacing was great, all things considered (700
>pages: reductio!!!)

true, but as long as it was, I coulda sat there for another hour easy. In this respect, it definitely felt like it was setting up shit for the next one. I was like ... okay, now that Voldermort is back, let's begin the movie!

>i thought they did a great job in capturing the
>rivalry/jealousy on ron's part.

Kinda ... as someone who didn't read the book, I wanted more here. They coulda dragged it out a little more, explained what it was about more, gone deeper into the emotion of it, and resolved it a little less quickly (Oh ... I guess you would have never gone ouyt of your way to cheat death ... can I be your sidekick again? I love you, man!)

>the importance of friendship AND individuality. strained
>allegiances (self or others?). the way that people tend to do
>evil in groups. i thought the black robes (although i hate the
>white western good/white black/evil dichotomy with a passion)
>was spot in in paralleling the death eaters with the klan.

I really wanted more on the death eaters! Is this given more play in the book? I felt that they could have been (and perhaps WERE in the story) more highlighted and important to the overall mood of the story. The mood of the movie, by the way, was gloriously dark. The whole quality was a nice continuatio from Prisoner ... although as someon else said above, I like how Prisoner took magic in their lives for granted ... here it was always this big production (swelling music) and not "ordinary" enough.

Which brings me to something I am just thinking about now. In the previous movies, there seems to be a BIG lesson in magic that Harry learns that furthers him to being an even stronger and better wizard. This is the first movie where I really didn't pick up on anything monumental like that in terms of his growth with his skills. It seems that he won the competition with a lot of help (the end seemed like the whole thing was a set up, and that he was somehow not worthy of winning without it being a part of the master plan to ressurect Voldermort. What did Harry learn in this one? Did the book go more into this aspect?

>near the end, dumbledore says to harry that the time is coming
>when he'll have to choose between what's right and what is
>easy. as a parent, i'm biting that shit.

no doubt! I'm using that one tomorrow, in fact. I'll find a way.

>neville was *great*. it's a shame that nobody knew why he was
>so freaked out about seeing the unforgiveable curses -- that
>his parents were tortured and killed.

ahhhhh ... wondering about that one. And perhaps here is a good place to talk trash about the Ball. It seems like they cut many things from the movie (necessarily so of course), but WHY leave in the Ball when you could have deepened the relationships? For a second I thought I was haveing a flashback to that bad trip that was Matrix II and the whole rave scene. No, it was not that bad, but it seemed waaay out of place, especially when they started with the body surfing. *rolls eyes*

>i love the weasley twins. they're great. all of the kids were
>dope. parvati was beautiful, as was cho. they captured how ron
>and harry did them dirty.

Again, I thought this could have been given some more time. Don't know how well they captured it

>hermione was whoa. as the father of
>a teenaged daughter, i don't like how this is unfolding at
>all.

How old are y'all?!!! "Whoa"?!!!! SOme of my Middle School students are "hotter" than her. She still looks very much like a kid to me. But them again, I'm an old'n.

>and yo, the myrtle scene. ni&&as was flirting w/ that pg-13,
>wasn't they? i can see her tryna get hers, cuz she a ghost.
>but i was like, dayum, guhl, back up off him, why dontcha?

LOL! thinking the same thing. There was more than usual sexual tension in this one all around. Between Hermione and Red, and when the women's team marched the camera was all up on their asses. Adolesence.

>they managed to make voldemort's scene at the end SCARY and
>menacing and heavy. and his 'monologue' (*wink at
>Incredibles*) at least explained why he tried to joker young
>harry rather than just murk him and be done with it. is that
>the way it ended in the book?

GREAT SCENE! That shit had me on the edge of my seat. The lighting was incredible, as was the virtual performance.

>dude that played moody was great. it was funny how he f*cked
>wit malfoy.

Also great how they made it seem like he was really helping Harry the whole time. Then at the end, I was like "ohhhhh ..." It was illuminating, but also kind of a let down, cuz I wanted dude to be sincere.

Another GREAT effects moment was Sirius in the fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That shit was incredible. His eyes and everything. That scene had me bugging out. The under-water stuff was great too, although the final "octopus attack" seemed a little much. In general, those sea creatures were wild looking ... the faces.

All in all, a great movie! I can't wait for the rest as well/.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
who are you

really

kysersozey
Charter member
13602 posts
Tue Nov-22-05 11:28 PM

51. "It was too long, very little action, and 2 many teenaged hissy-fits"
In response to Reply # 0

It was like The Real World with wands and dragons

This weeks nigga please goes to:

southphillyman: ...but yo she look good as shit imo and she ain't even light skin...

sugababy
Member since Mar 19th 2003
17500 posts
Wed Nov-23-05 08:04 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
53. "i liked it, but it was my least fav of the potter flicks so far"
In response to Reply # 0

3rd i
Charter member
15831 posts
Thu Nov-24-05 11:54 AM

55. "dear victor krum"
In response to Reply # 0

i love u
Nikki

www.myspace.com/3rd_i

MrMick
Charter member
1539 posts
Fri Nov-25-05 12:02 AM

56. "Disappointing"
In response to Reply # 0

I honestly thought this was the worst one. Not bad, mind you, but kind of like it was just going through the motions. Azkaban was better, and I thought the dynamic between the leads in this one were actually a lot more interesting than the Triwizard Tournament.

--

"Old? Gay? Like decks?"
-The Janitor

cereffusion
Charter member
29598 posts
Fri Nov-25-05 08:51 PM

57. "ya'll ready harry potter books"
In response to Reply # 0

---
Cereffusion, THE University of New Hampshire

-Defending Blowhards Champion-

---
Real Man Talk:
http://www.imageyenation.com/main

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Sat Nov-26-05 02:49 AM

61. "you listen to dfa"
In response to Reply # 57

----
bshelly

JungleSouljah
Member since Sep 24th 2002
14987 posts
Mon Nov-28-05 06:12 PM

69. "Ain't nothing wrong with either"
In response to Reply # 61

Fuck I listen to LCD Soundsystem while trying to find tickets to The Juan McLean while reading Half Blood Prince while watching Azkaban on HBO. Don't hate... participate.

The 4th Annual Residency Encampment: Where do we go from here?

All you see is crime in the source code.

punkhopjazcee
5239 posts
Fri Nov-25-05 10:53 PM

59. "My opinion"
In response to Reply # 0

Good movie, could've used more details from book but still good. Cho Chang is FUCKING HOT (send nude photos please), scene w/ Moaning Myrtle = reason 4 PG-13 rating (implied sex).

punkhopjazcee
5239 posts
Fri Nov-25-05 10:53 PM

60. "My opinion"
In response to Reply # 0

Good movie, could've used more details from book but still good. Cho Chang is FUCKING HOT (send nude photos please), scene w/ Moaning Myrtle = reason 4 PG-13 rating (implied sex).

2nd2Nun
Member since Oct 27th 2004
783 posts
Sat Nov-26-05 11:23 AM

62. "very scary"
In response to Reply # 60

you are aware cho is a child right?

punkhopjazcee
5239 posts
Mon Nov-28-05 12:52 AM

66. "She's 16"
In response to Reply # 62

And i'm 18 and in the U.K. and i think in Michigan that's legal.

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Sat Nov-26-05 05:50 PM

63. "finally saw it"
In response to Reply # 0

the good:

visually, i thought it was the best of the four. it was beautifully shot.

hermione and harry are really turning into good actors.

i thought they did a good job consolidating the barry crouch story line, which is long in the book. in general, i thought they did as good a job as possible consolidating 800 pages into a manageable movie.

the bad:

i'm not going to kill them for what they included and didn't include. spacial constraints demanded hard choices be made, and everyone would have chosen to keep and lose different things. it didn't bother me that there wasn't character development, because there wasn't time

my main complaint were the characters of moody and especially dumbledore. moody was played as a buffoon in the movie. he's a lot cooler in the book--think johny cash with a wand. but the real travesty was dumbledore. dumbledore is NEVER panicked and anxious. he would never grab harry and shake him. terrible job there.

and i thought the ending was rushed and a little too happy given what happened.

verdict:

it was good for what it was and the constraints they had. that being said, i think this is my last harry potter movie. they just don't measure up.

----
bshelly

Mu5ic L0v3r
Member since Jun 24th 2002
562 posts
Sun Nov-27-05 12:10 PM

64. "RE: finally saw it"
In response to Reply # 63

>i think this is my last harry potter movie.
>they just don't measure up.

I said the same thing. This movie hurt my heart. I just can't bear to watch them mess up OoTP and HBP.

Tsetse
Member since Nov 27th 2005
225 posts
Sun Nov-27-05 08:09 PM

65. "find the audiobooks"
In response to Reply # 0

the audiobooks are fantastic.

catch up before seeing future movies.

some stories are better told orally... and these are best told orally.

there is only one set of them made, i think, so dont worry too much about the versions.

for real... if you are skeptical about audiobooks or just cant bring yourself to actually READING harry potter... just check them out.

McDeezNuts
Member since Jun 03rd 2002
5663 posts
Mon Nov-28-05 11:08 AM

67. "It was my favorite one, despite leaving a lot out"
In response to Reply # 0

I understand the complaints about lack of character development and leaving things out, but speaking as someone who read and loved the book, I thought it was really really good. Fast paced and highly enjoyable.

And it seems that I'm in the minority, but my wife and I both thought Azkaban was definitely the worst of the Potters so far. I'm not sure how to rank the first two - I haven't seen them in awhile.

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Mon Nov-28-05 11:17 AM

68. "Too bad Hermaily (spl) and Ron are turning out to be shit actors"
In response to Reply # 0

Thought it was an enjoyable movie, appropriatly dark. I undestand they cut out a good deal of the Quiddich World Cup which is dissapointing, and the romance between Harry and the girl (...) seemed alot more breif than what people chatted it up to be, but there was alot of ground this movie covered.

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Wed Nov-30-05 03:16 PM

70. "Radcliffe is much less horrible"
In response to Reply # 0

he still sucks, but he's gotten better. by far the best movie of the bunch.

Censei
Member since Dec 01st 2005
14 posts
Thu Dec-01-05 01:11 AM

71. "Ron can act!"
In response to Reply # 70

I can't believe how much the actor who plays Ron has matured. He actually has shops. Hermione is an over actor as always and Harry is inconsistent. I think that the film was the best. I was upset that the quidditch world cup wasn't really shown.

I have issues with aggressive Dumbledore, and melodramitc Voldemort. The Dark Lord is suposed to be suave and calm and menacing, not crazy.

queenisisdivine
Charter member
7138 posts
Fri Dec-02-05 09:31 AM

72. "Hated it"
In response to Reply # 0

What was up with that weak ass ending?

>Someone get bshelly some clean underwear.
>
>I've got tickets to the midnight show. No, I'm not dressing up
>as Harry for the screening. I'll be dressing up as Viktor
>Krum. Bitches.

A.W. Enterprises, Inc.
"Proposal Development And Small Business Services"
www.aweinc.net
andrea.wilson@aweinc.net

~>http://hiphopheadz.blogspot.com
~>http://www.myspace.com/hiphopgyrl

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Fri Dec-02-05 02:24 PM

73. "saw it on IMAX"
In response to Reply # 0

i really enjoyed it. i'm going to watch Azkaban again to see which one i like more, but the last two movies trump the first two IMO.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #90000 Previous topic | Next topic