Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #8579

Subject: "Animatrix!" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
TAYREL713
Charter member
1120 posts
Tue Jun-03-03 09:25 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Animatrix!"

Okay, this gets released today, who is getting it or has it, and what do you think of it?

"I put my foot so deep in yo ass the water in my knee will quench your thirst!" Ras Kass {Miami Life}

stayskrunchyinmilk.com

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I got it...
Jun 03rd 2003
i saw the anime lookin one
Jun 03rd 2003
Best Buy got it for $14.99... n/m
Jun 03rd 2003
      oh cool thanks
Jun 03rd 2003
           Pricematch to Circuit City for the DVD/CD set....
Jun 03rd 2003
this is the same as the 4 movies
Jun 03rd 2003
it's 9 shorts in total
Jun 03rd 2003
      oh really
Jun 03rd 2003
RE: Animatrix!
Jun 03rd 2003
RE: Animatrix!
Jun 03rd 2003
Flight of the Osiris Actually Leads...
Jun 04th 2003
understanding matriculated......
Jun 04th 2003
      RE: understanding matriculated......
Jun 04th 2003
      THANKS for the link!!! n/m
Jun 11th 2003
Matriculated!!!
Jun 04th 2003
Kid's Story
Jun 04th 2003
RE: Kid's Story
Jun 07th 2003
      I hope they make more
Jun 07th 2003
Fuck Neo.
Jun 04th 2003
RE: Fuck Neo.
Jun 04th 2003
Jun 05th 2003
Jun 07th 2003
      I thought...
Jun 08th 2003
its all very biblical
Jun 09th 2003
rec'd it in the mail today...
Jun 04th 2003
It's on it's way...I pre-ordered it.
Jun 04th 2003
heard it sux...
Jun 04th 2003
then you've heard wrong
Jun 04th 2003
Absolutely not...
Jun 04th 2003
RE: heard it sux...
Jun 09th 2003
Saw it on the Big Screen
Jun 06th 2003
Infinitely better than either of the movies
Jun 06th 2003
All of your observations are reasons why...
Jun 07th 2003
My DVD came in the mail today.....
Jun 06th 2003
in that case...
Jun 07th 2003
      LOL!
Jun 11th 2003
extremely good
Jun 09th 2003
World Record
Jun 09th 2003
BEYOND my expectations!!!!
Jun 11th 2003
^^^^
Jun 12th 2003
^ for Beyond
Jun 17th 2003
Up Cuz they should make more
Jun 18th 2003

KCPlayer21
Charter member
30076 posts
Tue Jun-03-03 09:43 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I got it..."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm gonna watch it tonight, I'll let you know how it was tomorrow...

"People make their jokes, and say we're off to see the Wizard
But me and Dorothy and Toto's on yo' ass when you visit"
-Kansas City's own Tech N9ne

We the children of the Light, you know what I mean?
That's why I'm hating on the darkness like Paula Deen
Cause in my hood they masked up like it's Halloween
We going hard for the Rock, but we not some fiends
- Andy Mineo

illadelphgurl
Charter member
21352 posts
Tue Jun-03-03 09:44 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "i saw the anime lookin one"
In response to Reply # 0

on MTV2. if its 19.99 or under, i will get it.

---------------------
<3 restore the shore <3

KCPlayer21
Charter member
30076 posts
Tue Jun-03-03 09:51 AM

3. "Best Buy got it for $14.99... n/m"
In response to Reply # 2

"People make their jokes, and say we're off to see the Wizard
But me and Dorothy and Toto's on yo' ass when you visit"
-Kansas City's own Tech N9ne

We the children of the Light, you know what I mean?
That's why I'm hating on the darkness like Paula Deen
Cause in my hood they masked up like it's Halloween
We going hard for the Rock, but we not some fiends
- Andy Mineo

illadelphgurl
Charter member
21352 posts
Tue Jun-03-03 10:46 AM

7. "oh cool thanks"
In response to Reply # 3

---------------------
<3 restore the shore <3

KwesiAkoKennedy
Charter member
3770 posts
Tue Jun-03-03 12:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "Pricematch to Circuit City for the DVD/CD set...."
In response to Reply # 7

Circuit City has it for $19.99

Best Buy has it for $29.99

Later...
Kwesi K.

jideff215
Member since Aug 05th 2002
6850 posts
Tue Jun-03-03 09:53 AM

4. "this is the same as the 4 movies"
In response to Reply # 0

you can dl on intothematrix.com?

-----------------------------------
i flip the flip for the flip
call me a flip flipper
than flip flop in my flip flops wit strip strippers

actualfact
Charter member
5679 posts
Tue Jun-03-03 10:16 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "it's 9 shorts in total"
In response to Reply # 4

There are 4 on the net
1 was theatrically w/ Dream Catcher
and 4 are DVD only

"Cats are still using the same five curse words. If you take out 'shit,' 'bitch,' 'nigga,' murder,' and 'killa,' (the)mother-fuckin' record would sound like an instrumental!"
-MF Doom

"The payoff is much sweeter than the payback"
-Dave

jideff215
6850 posts
Tue Jun-03-03 10:54 AM

8. "oh really"
In response to Reply # 5

hmmm so i have to get the dvd

-----------------------------------
i flip the flip for the flip
call me a flip flipper
than flip flop in my flip flops wit strip strippers

Slejor
Member since Aug 28th 2002
321 posts
Tue Jun-03-03 10:20 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "RE: Animatrix!"
In response to Reply # 0

just opened the wrapper 5 mins ago. about to watch them now (including the 4 i already saw). I dont know why i decided to look at the boards for an animatrix post, but i knew i'd find one. ok. i'm out.

lKlOlSl
Member since Dec 15th 2002
55 posts
Tue Jun-03-03 04:34 PM

10. "RE: Animatrix!"
In response to Reply # 0

I got it today at best buy for 14.99 but the girl at the register was nice and hooked me up with a 5 dollar coupon thing...so it was 10 dollars and some change out the door.

flight of the osiris- saw this one in the theater...has some amazing cgi and leads right into reloaded...I was feeling this one

The renaiassance series part one and two-I liked this one as well tells of the history between humans and machines and the start of the war through the creation of the matrix. Almost made me see why the machines would view us as scum... has alot of images taking from like the holocaust and lynching...vietnam execution all the horrible things humans have done in recent history comes to mind watching this...in part two it kind of flip flops though...makes me wonder though if this is suppose to be in zions files how come morpheus doesn't know more about

kid's story- this was another good story fills in the back story for I'm guessing the kid that is always bugging neo in reloaded...

Program-yet again I was happy with this one also..it's basically a battle in side of the training program with a different crew...

world record- this one I can kind of take or leave...I might have to watch it again to appreciate it...it's about a runner who wakes up from the matrix because he pyshically pushes himself so hard...

beyond- this one was tight to me...it's about a girl who is looking for her cat and comes upon a "haunted house" which is really just a cliche or a corrupt file in the matrix where things are possible that shouldn't be...

a detective story- wasn't feeling this one...it's basically a detective who is sent by the agents to look for trinity and she trys to free him from the system...I was hoping it was gonna have more back story on trinity than it really did

matriculated- what the fuck...I don't really know what is really going on with this one...it seems like its a group of humans who capture machines and then try to use a matrix type program to manipulate the machines to fight for them and protect them...this one is kind of strange gonna have to watch it a couple of times to try to understand what's going on...it's on some aeon fl sp) type stuff

PuertoRicanJudo
Charter member
2963 posts
Wed Jun-04-03 05:38 AM

11. "Flight of the Osiris Actually Leads..."
In response to Reply # 10

right into the Enter the Matrix video game.

"This is some BULLSHIT" (c) me at Central Booking

KnowOne
Charter member
39951 posts
Wed Jun-04-03 06:23 AM

13. "understanding matriculated......"
In response to Reply # 10

basically it tells the story of a group of humans in the real world who are trying to condition the machines to not kill them.
Quote from Peter:"I decided to take a radically different approach and view the world from the point of view of the machines. After all, a robot would be more susceptible to delusion than a human. Also, I wanted to show that the human mind is just as capable of creating a rich and seductive dream world as a computer is."
Here is an interview with Peter about Matriculated (& the possibility of more Aeon Flux):
http://dvd.ign.com/articles/409/409846p1.html

IG: KnowOne215 | PS+ ID: KnowOne215

lKlOlSl
55 posts
Wed Jun-04-03 08:54 AM

14. "RE: understanding matriculated......"
In response to Reply # 13

yeah I'm starting to like matriculated a little more on repeated viewings....and then I watched the bonus features with peter chung and gained more respect for his vision...

Zorasmoon
Member since Aug 30th 2002
37997 posts
Wed Jun-11-03 04:46 PM

38. "THANKS for the link!!! n/m"
In response to Reply # 13

Recommended reading:

******Parable of the Sower- by Octavia Butler*******
Story about a hyper-empath who becomes the founder of a humanist cult created to transform the destiny of humankind

******The spirit of Terrorism- Jean Baudrillard*******
A MUST read for every thinking being
online copy @
http://awake.sparklehouse.com/downloads/papers/baud_terr.html

http://www.youtube.com/user/kimmayluv

KnowOne
Charter member
39951 posts
Wed Jun-04-03 06:16 AM

12. "Matriculated!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

By Peter Chung....the guy who made Aeon Flux...I'll have to own it for this alone. *lol* Plus I saw "Beyond" on MTV2 and it was cool. Probably pick it up tonight........

IG: KnowOne215 | PS+ ID: KnowOne215

Nettrice
Charter member
61747 posts
Wed Jun-04-03 09:04 AM

15. "Kid's Story"
In response to Reply # 0

Anyone get it that this is the backstory for the kid who sweats Neo in Reloaded (for those who saw it)?

Also, I was feeling World Record and the other metaphorical one with the kids who play with the anti-gravity.

<--- Blame this lady for Nutty.

TekzillaOhioSt
Member since Sep 18th 2002
6861 posts
Sat Jun-07-03 04:55 PM

29. "RE: Kid's Story"
In response to Reply # 15

>Anyone get it that this is the backstory for the kid who
>sweats Neo in Reloaded (for those who saw it)?

i picked that up the 2nd time i watched it.

TekzillaOhioSt
6861 posts
Sat Jun-07-03 04:56 PM

30. "I hope they make more"
In response to Reply # 29

of these short stories. even after the trilogy is complete. there's loads of money in this.

maybe create 9 or so short stories once a year...id buy it.

i love this dvd

Invisiblist
Charter member
33760 posts
Wed Jun-04-03 01:35 PM

16. "Fuck Neo."
In response to Reply # 0

I hope that the machines win. We deserve to die for mercin' their ambassadors. That was fucked up! Did yall peep how the machine signed that treaty with a BARCODE? Dope.

lKlOlSl
55 posts
Wed Jun-04-03 03:15 PM

19. "RE: Fuck Neo."
In response to Reply # 16

Co-sign ....the ambassadors came in peace to make friends and look what they did to them...almost makes me want neo to fail too

sithlord
2832 posts
Thu Jun-05-03 09:58 AM

23. "RE: Fuck Neo."

Both shorts had a whole "Conquest and Battle for the Planet of the Apes" feel to them.
I concur on the "Fuck Neo" theme, but look at it like this, man has a history of creating things that he just wants to wipe out when he can't control them. I think that if the Wachowskis looked into it, they might point that out in "Revolutions"
The holocaust,lynching references and ultimate revolution of the machines is so metaphorical.
As is the "final solution" of blacking out the sun, thus ruining the planet for everyone. They're definitely taking it next level with that one.
It made the whole purchase worth it to me.

"you celebrate death and toast pain with champagne like slaves on the ship bragging about who got the flyest chain"
Talib Kweli

<----My debut album cover

Finally...The Blog of the Sith: http://shef1556.blogspot.com/

notnac
Charter member
1607 posts
Sat Jun-07-03 10:01 AM

28. "RE: Fuck Neo."
In response to Reply # 23

i understand what you're saying, but then again, they're just machines....They're not supposed to have emotion right? That kind of made it hard for me to sympathize, although the images were powerful, especially of the female robot who got stripped and beaten....Kinda reminded me of AI the spielberg flick...I mean, it's not that bad if all you're doing is destroying computers who are supposed to be used by humans right?

If anything I do see how the machines bring out the selfishness in humans.

6_1_flo
Member since Apr 15th 2003
3869 posts
Sun Jun-08-03 08:27 PM

32. "I thought..."
In response to Reply # 28
Sun Jun-08-03 08:28 PM

it was messed up how they did the robots. But then I thought of the M.R. when that counselor was talking to Neo and he said that we need the machines as much as they need us. I see think Neo will possibly try to bring commonground(mediator) for both man and machine, cuz he is that center piece between both. Also I enjoyed the World Record one, it almost made me cry cuz that guy seen the truth but by him getting out of the chair, he showed that he's still striving to be free, even though he's bound to a wheelchair forever.

My handles
http://reyhugo.bandcamp.com
twitter.com/ihilbot
facebook.com/yahzone
soundlyfemusic@gmail.com

DrNO
Charter member
25381 posts
Mon Jun-09-03 05:27 PM

33. "its all very biblical"

man creating them in his image, especially with the machines taking the apple in the end.

_
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4TztqYaemt0
http://preptimeposse.blogspot.com/

m
Charter member
15756 posts
Wed Jun-04-03 01:52 PM

17. "rec'd it in the mail today..."
In response to Reply # 0

will eventually get to it.

Zorasmoon
37997 posts
Wed Jun-04-03 02:27 PM

18. "It's on it's way...I pre-ordered it."
In response to Reply # 0

I've seen 5 out of the 9 and so far, I;ve been impressed with the story lines and quality of visuals.

Recommended reading:

Story about a hyper-empath who becomes the founder of a humanist cult created to transform the destiny of humankind

online copy @

Holister Holiday
Member since Jun 04th 2003
187 posts
Wed Jun-04-03 04:35 PM

20. "heard it sux..."
In response to Reply # 0

MiQL
Member since Sep 03rd 2002
7208 posts
Wed Jun-04-03 06:26 PM

21. "then you've heard wrong"
In response to Reply # 20

"a little air restriction ain't hurt nobody." - BSR

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Wed Jun-04-03 06:30 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
22. "Absolutely not..."

Its an excellent piece of work.

If your looking for Matrix 1.5, then your barking up the wrong tree.

If your looking for an hour and a half of excellently drawn animation, and some inventive idea's about the Matrix universe, then its a great purchase.

parreriposte
Member since May 20th 2002
117 posts
Mon Jun-09-03 11:53 PM

36. "RE: heard it sux..."

Find out for yourself.

Chillout Grooves

Marvin Gaye – Turn On Some Music
Curtis Mayfield – You’re So Good To Me
Jill Scott – Slowly, Surely
Eric Roberson – Miles Away
Amel Larrieux – Infinite Possibilities
Mary J. Blige – My Life
Erykah Badu – Orange Moon
Floerty – He

UrbanCowgRRL
Charter member
8764 posts
Fri Jun-06-03 09:49 AM

24. "Saw it on the Big Screen"
In response to Reply # 0

They need to release it again on big screen..it was a random screening in Austin...

HOLY Shit!! the cgi and characters were so amazing ...i really wish i had had some stimulants besides alcohol...

The stories were good...i'd have to see them at home to recall a lot of the details...but the backstories were good...

much love,
Kyle

Aceyalone..NEW ALBUM...June 03...Love and Hate...on tour NOW!!!

"but why oh why do you feel you need to take over the world when you already rule? " ~ calamity june

much love,
Kyle

Detroit..Let's GO!!! May 12th Dilla Walk for Lupus...Belle Isle...

http://walk.lupusresearch.org/goto/blackeyedskeez

Even a Dollar can HELP..

http://www.myspace.com/jedikyle
http://www.detroitderbygirls.com/

MrMajor
Charter member
4354 posts
Fri Jun-06-03 04:03 PM

25. "Infinitely better than either of the movies"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Jun-06-03 04:05 PM

Hated both of the movies but this collection of shorts eclipses both of them. Stylistically, directoraly, visualy and story wise this DVD was way more engaging than either of the movies. While not every short was great (Matriculated being my least favorite and I really like Aeon Flux)they were all provactive. I really, really liked this collection.

Also, after seeing the two segments about the machines risie I'm less sympathetic (if thats possible ) towards teh humans in the movies. The allegory those segemnts evoked (Vietnam, Tienaman (sp?) Square, rape, slavery, the Holocaust etc.)was extremely poignant and well done.

KwesiAkoKennedy
Charter member
3770 posts
Sat Jun-07-03 04:17 AM

27. "All of your observations are reasons why..."
In response to Reply # 25
Sat Jun-07-03 04:19 AM

...I think they should have released this instead of Reloaded to theatres. Treat it like the game and intercut the shorts with the live action to see how the different themes are reflected in the overall plot of the movie and we would have had a much more enjoyable experience.

Granted I liked Reloaded but that's only because of the great fight scenes and how they flipped it at the end, plot wise.

Later...
Kwesi K.

Zorasmoon
37997 posts
Fri Jun-06-03 04:13 PM

26. "My DVD came in the mail today....."
In response to Reply # 0

but sadly, it beat my PC DVD DRIVE which won't arrive until Monday!

Recommended reading:

online copy @

m
Charter member
15756 posts
Sat Jun-07-03 08:41 PM

31. "in that case..."
In response to Reply # 26

>but sadly, it beat my PC DVD DRIVE which won't arrive until Monday!
>
>

in that case, buy the dvd online again... then send back the one that you have. that way when you get the newly ordered dvd, your drive will be ready to watch it.

or, you could just keep the one you have lol

Zorasmoon
37997 posts
Wed Jun-11-03 04:43 PM

37. "LOL!"
In response to Reply # 31
Wed Jun-11-03 04:43 PM

you are so bad...it was a good idea. but fortunately all is set!!!

I installed my drive and I watched every single episode that I hadn't seen online.

Recommended reading:

online copy @

DrNO
Charter member
25381 posts
Mon Jun-09-03 05:33 PM

34. "extremely good"
In response to Reply # 0

just makes me angrier about reloaded though, shows how they could have done something very ambitious like these shorts.

_
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4TztqYaemt0
http://preptimeposse.blogspot.com/

parreriposte
Member since May 20th 2002
117 posts
Mon Jun-09-03 11:51 PM

35. "World Record"
In response to Reply # 0

By far this is my favorite episode. It makes me wonder about the place of black folks in the Matrix. The idea that most people who know about the Matrix have intuition while there are some others who know recognize the Matrix through other means...then the agents trying to keep the brutha from winning the race and then brutha man trying to stand up from his wheel chair... I was amped!

Chillout Grooves

Marvin Gaye – Turn On Some Music
Curtis Mayfield – You’re So Good To Me
Jill Scott – Slowly, Surely
Eric Roberson – Miles Away
Amel Larrieux – Infinite Possibilities
Mary J. Blige – My Life
Erykah Badu – Orange Moon
Floerty – He

Zorasmoon
37997 posts
Wed Jun-11-03 05:07 PM

39. "BEYOND my expectations!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

BEYOND just caught me off guard. I wasn't ready for it. The cell shading/ palette of this short was much more brighter and colorful than all the others. Which was different in a pleasant way. It was so dream-like yet so familiar to me.

KID'S STORY --Had amazing form. I loved the rotoscoping technique...this piece reminded me of Waking Life--another fave. It also had the feel of a Paul Dallas illustration with the warped bodies and loose quality of the drawing.
I did "get-it" right away that this was the same Kid from the Matrix Reloaded. I love the way everything ties in together.

WORLD RECORD was reminiscent of Jesse Owens at the 1936 Olympics when Hitler ....And it also reminded me of Tommie Smith and John Carlos at the 1968 Olympics. The two black athletes who gave the black power salute on while on their winning podiums.

DETECTIVE STORY is also one of my favorites...hard-boiled detective meets anime...plus the grainy quality of the texture gave it a unique look and sense of atomosphere. I REALLY dug the Soundtrack...the "jazztronica" in the background added a nice mood for the film. The "cinematography" was nice in tis one too.

The others are quite nice as well, FF of the Osiris was a GREAT improvement of techniques used in Final Fantasy. That beginning fight seen was hot like fire! Matriculated is my least favorite--But maybe it will grow on me.

my $.02

Recommended reading:

online copy @

Zorasmoon
37997 posts
Thu Jun-12-03 01:08 PM

40. "^^^^"
In response to Reply # 0

Recommended reading:

online copy @

Zorasmoon
37997 posts
Tue Jun-17-03 05:53 PM

41. "^ for Beyond"
In response to Reply # 0

~~~~~~SIG OF THE MONTH~~~~~~~
On Negative portrayals of African-Americans on TV: "Higher ratings,
Who wants to see a successful black man that likes black women on television. --okp TruOne

Sure, these ideas are references to ideas found elsewhere, but what ideas aren't? <--okp abstrak

Recommended reading:

online copy @

TekzillaOhioSt
6861 posts
Wed Jun-18-03 02:46 PM

42. "Up Cuz they should make more"
In response to Reply # 41

dammit! gimme more!

Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #8579 Previous topic | Next topic