Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #8546

Subject: "What would you have done to make "Hulk" better?" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
sithlord
Member since Aug 05th 2002
2832 posts
Fri Jun-20-03 07:35 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"What would you have done to make "Hulk" better?"

Put your money where your mouth is.
I'm sitting in the theatre watching "Hulk" and I'm thinking, "This is really all you can do with this story." The military finds out about an indestructible giant green beast, of course they're gonna try and a) control it; b) when that fails, destroy it.
Of course he'd have to disappear at the end of the movie, not only because he was betrayed, but to keep Betty safe.
Seriously folks, what could have been done better. The main flaws with comic movies is the typical, "it was done better in this book or that book."
Batman had "Year One," "Killing Joke," "Dark Knight Returns," etc. Spiderman had the whole Venom/Carnage story line or his entire rogues gallery. X-Men, "God Loves, Man Kills," or any other ill title.
What ill title did Hulk ever have that would have done this better. I won't say the film sucked, and I won't say it was great, but I honestly think it was as good as a Hulk movie could be. There's only so much that can be done or said with him.
I know I'm gonna get crucified on these boards, just make sure the criticism and insults are at the very least, creative.
"you celebrate death and toast pain with champagne like slaves on the ship bragging about who got the flyest chain"
Talib Kweli

<----My debut album cover

Finally...The Blog of the Sith: http://shef1556.blogspot.com/

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I would have rather seen the
Jun 21st 2003
How do you explain this...
Jun 21st 2003
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Jun 21st 2003
RE: Couldn't have said it better myself.
Jun 21st 2003
      RE: Couldn't have said it better myself.
Jun 24th 2003
RE: What would you have done to make "Hulk" better?
Jun 21st 2003
Jun 26th 2003
A little more screen time for the Hulk character.
Jun 21st 2003
a genuine She-Hulk, in a lesbian scene with Storm
Jun 21st 2003
A Better Script and Better Pacing.
Jun 22nd 2003
I'd have to say, different enemies.
Jun 22nd 2003
i'd've kept it as a comic book.
Jun 23rd 2003
RE: i'd've kept it as a comic book.
Jun 23rd 2003
      i believe superheroes belong in comics
Jun 23rd 2003
From a erson who liked it
Jun 23rd 2003
i liked the movie a lot, still:
Jun 23rd 2003
more suplexes of helicopters.
Jun 23rd 2003
RE: What would you have done to make
Jun 23rd 2003
#4 and #6...
Jun 24th 2003
co effin sign
Jun 24th 2003
RE: What would you have done to make
Jun 25th 2003
simple
Jun 23rd 2003
RE: simple
Jun 24th 2003
not necessarily.
Jun 24th 2003
okay then but...
Jun 24th 2003
This was a good non-superhero movie with a hero in it..
Jun 24th 2003
Oh and the ending...scrap it...
Jun 24th 2003
      What they should have done...
Jun 24th 2003
Nothing. It was brilliant.
Jun 24th 2003
Jun 24th 2003
WOW
Jun 26th 2003
make it darker or lighter
Jun 26th 2003

Philip R
Member since Nov 25th 2002
1260 posts
Sat Jun-21-03 01:58 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I would have rather seen the"
In response to Reply # 0

gray Hulk as oppose to the green Hulk. I've yet to see the movie and probably won't. The trailor doesn't do anything for me.

KwesiAkoKennedy
Charter member
3770 posts
Sat Jun-21-03 09:28 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "How do you explain this..."
In response to Reply # 1
Sat Jun-21-03 09:28 AM

...when the general viewer, comic fan or not, is familiar with the Hulk being green. If you go into his origin and then go to the split that causes Grey Hulk, you've got, yet again, another movie that's too long for it's own good.

Later...
Kwesi K.

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Sat Jun-21-03 04:43 AM

2. "Couldn't have said it better myself."
In response to Reply # 0

I'd like to see half these "it sucked" dickheads try and pitch their version of the movie to executives. 10 to 1 they'd be laughed out of the room.

And don't get me started on the computer effects "experts" on here who are so certain they could have made the Hulk look "more real" because they have a computer engineering degree, or have designed a few websites. Fuck outta here.

Anyway, the only thing I would do is shorten the movie by 20-30 minutes. The first 40 minutes or so could have been trimmed a bit, even though I know they had a lot of exposition and backstory to get through...

"Just cos you feel it...doesn't mean it's there..."
-Thom Yorke (from THAT band)

"Only on OKP do people hate the supreme summer tasty Beyonce and in the same day sit and analyze Nas's 3rd verse on the 5th song off his 2nd album for grammer and hidden references to Jay-Z's 2nd cousin. What squares."
-jwhorl

buckshot defunct
Member since May 02nd 2003
26345 posts
Sat Jun-21-03 05:21 AM

3. "RE: Couldn't have said it better myself."
In response to Reply # 2

I feel you. I walked out of the theater disappointed, but I was also like, "Damn. The Hulk would be hard as fuck to adapt into a movie." I think Ang Lee did a great job of presenting it. At times he captured the essence of the Hulk. And all the major themes of the Hulk comics were at least touched on, if not necessarily done justice. And the computer effects were good enough for me.
My main beefs were with the actors and the script.Mainly the script.
So how would I have made it better? That's easy. NO POODLES!

-----------------------------
http://talestosuffice.com/
@kennykeil

JungleSouljah
Member since Sep 24th 2002
14987 posts
Tue Jun-24-03 10:50 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
27. "RE: Couldn't have said it better myself."
In response to Reply # 3

Co-sign. Ang Lee did a great job with what he had and I thought the IML people killed it with the Hulk. Damn thing had facial expressions down, looked a lot like Eric Bana. I was impressed. Thought they did much better than the CGI people did with some of the special effects in Spiderman.

Connely and Bana were excellent, thought they were both well cast. Nolte was a bit over the top but how could he not be? I'm forgetting who played General Ross and the guy from Atheon but they could have been better.

But yeah I think the main point is how could you do much different with The Hulk?

The 4th Annual Residency Encampment: Where do we go from here?

All you see is crime in the source code.

jumanji3000
Charter member
3837 posts
Sat Jun-21-03 03:23 PM

5. "RE: What would you have done to make "Hulk" better?"
In response to Reply # 0

I haven't seen it yet (I will get around to it), but I heard Rick Jones isn't in it. How can you have the Hulk without Rick Jones?

"You can't change the past, but you CAN make the future and anyone who tells you different is a fucking lethargic devil"
-Immortal Technique

משה גידון בן יעקב עיסר

FuriousFreddy
Charter member
17388 posts
Thu Jun-26-03 06:38 PM

32. "RE: What would you have done to make "Hulk" better?"
In response to Reply # 5

no rick jones?

'the hell was on their minds?

he's the reason banner became the hulk!

bluetiger
Charter member
36728 posts
Sat Jun-21-03 06:25 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "A little more screen time for the Hulk character."
In response to Reply # 0

That's about it. I liked the movie though.

and now:

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
- ρδω

♀¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤♀

don't be fkn evil.

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Sat Jun-21-03 07:29 PM

7. "a genuine She-Hulk, in a lesbian scene with Storm"
In response to Reply # 0

p.e.a.c.e.
-John Book

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:
http://thisisbooksmusic.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/thisisjohnbook
http://www.facebook.com/book1

DawgEatah
Charter member
49225 posts
Sun Jun-22-03 01:25 PM

8. "A Better Script and Better Pacing."
In response to Reply # 0

****WARNING THIS HAS SPOILERS****

Let me first say that I do not think the Hulk was a horrible film. I think Ang did some tight-ass things. I think the Hulk itself was cool (I did not have problems with the CGI). I liked the action sequences and thought that the interpretaion of Hulk's giant leaps was accurate as to how I envisioned it from the comics.

But overall I was disappointed. So here is my amateur stab at your question, and by no means am I trying to be a hater or claim that my way is the right way. This is JUST my opinion.

If they are gonna take the more dramatic approach to the story then commit and make it a darker movie. Personally I would have liked it better with some more comedic elements. It got overbearingly serious at times. To the point of just being corny and soap operatic.

There was also way too much backstory. My opinion as a struggling screenwriter is I would have had the transformation into the hulk a lot earlier (which you know the audience wanted), and then just done exposition in the backstory throughout the film. Personally I try to avoid flashbacks sequences, but you could have explained the backstory through the flashbacks, or what I would have done was shown it through dialogue or visual clues.

Problem is these days we underestimate the audience too much. We feel we have to explain everything like we are talking to a 9 year old. People will figure it out, if you are a good enough storyteller.

The ending was anti-climactic. Again this is partly due to pacing and partly do to scriptwriting. There needed to be more of a payoff at the end. And to be honest, I really didn't did the final fight scene. Was not diggin David's powers nor the way he looked.

Back from the dead.

§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§¤¤¤¤§

Disgust is an appropriate reaction to most situations. ~Jenney Holzer

Every battle is a chance to see another cat lose to me/I don't write battle raps. I write eulogies. ~Blueprint

Every dog has his day, and even more so in rhymin'/So I decided that I'd never play the fire hydrant. ~Blueprint

=

OG OKP.
I don't come around as often but I check in now & then.

85SOUTH
Member since Mar 09th 2003
6625 posts
Sun Jun-22-03 03:39 PM

9. "I'd have to say, different enemies."
In response to Reply # 0

The dogs were kinda corny but the fight between them and hulk were funny/brutal. Who was his pops supposed to be? a variation of absorbing man? the fight between him and hulk was kinda confusing for me. I guess it ended with the hulk temp. out of commission.

☻☻☻☻☻☻☻

not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4...

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Mon Jun-23-03 04:41 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "i'd've kept it as a comic book."
In response to Reply # 0

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

eldealo
Charter member
10110 posts
Mon Jun-23-03 08:32 AM

11. "RE: i'd've kept it as a comic book."
In response to Reply # 10

personally, i feel that the marvel stories can make for interesting movies. its like modern day greek myths. the story and legends are all there. visuals, origins, personalities. you just have to pick some of the best elements from the comics and adapt them. plus, they already have a built in fan base. although some are far too critical.

-------------------------------------------
INFIN8 Photography
http://www.instagram.com/infin8photo
http://www.facebook.com/INFIN8Photography

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Mon Jun-23-03 12:41 PM

16. "i believe superheroes belong in comics"
In response to Reply # 11

there's something about that medium that intrinsically suits them

i've never really seen a "good" superhero movie... only aiight ones.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

Melanism
Charter member
20453 posts
Mon Jun-23-03 09:11 AM

12. "From a erson who liked it"
In response to Reply # 0

- More Hulk
- Different ending
- Less Ang Lee-like hammering the theme throughout the moive (he did the same thing during "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon")

m e l a n i s m

"You have to make the clitoris your best friend."
"What kind of friend is always hiding?"
--Luisa and Tenoch
From "Y Tu Mama Tambien"
------------------

Join the NY OKP Movie Club
http://groups.yahoo.com
Group name: "okpmovies"

------------------
http://www.melanism.com
Come Visit The World-Ignored Web Site!!!
------------------
http://dropheavy.net/5dvs
The Five Deadly Venom Spitterz are Back!!!

-------------------
http://twitter.com/Melanism

Torez
Charter member
19262 posts
Mon Jun-23-03 09:29 AM

13. "i liked the movie a lot, still:"
In response to Reply # 0

-more of bruce and betty in a relationship (which could have better established "bruce is repressed/distant/unemotional")

-more character development for bruce...overall, there was more dramatic tension for him as a child than as an adult...(this may be too difficult though, since he didn't even REMEMBER his childhood)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out....McNulty, THE WIRE

the mis-educated black man actually believes that the white man's ice is colder...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The man of faith who has never experienced doubt is not a man of faith

Clint Westwood
Member since Sep 21st 2002
3357 posts
Mon Jun-23-03 09:45 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "more suplexes of helicopters."
In response to Reply # 0

MrSpock
Charter member
760 posts
Mon Jun-23-03 11:32 AM

15. "RE: What would you have done to make"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jun-23-03 11:33 AM

1. No goddamn mutant poodles.
2. Trim about 45 minutes of the utterly boring exposition. There was no need for this movie to have been 2 hours and 20 minutes long.
3. Gotten a DIFFERENT actress to play Betty Ross. Jennifer Connelly acted as if she were on industrial strength Ritalin throughout the movie, which is to say, she didn't emote at all.
4. Cut out the ridiculous father theme in the movie and stuck to the theme of the comic book--that of control vs. losing control.
5. ONE antagonist. This movie had a veritable Rogue's Gallery of antagonists, none of whom were particularly interesting.
6. Cut that shit about David Banner being eeeevil. After a while, it just got boring. 6a) Can all the Joss Whedon-style angst. This isn't fucking Dawson's Creek or Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Why give him such a tortured background? Or hell, keep it, but kill BOTH the parents.
7. Pick a fucking ending and STICK TO IT. What is this, fucking Artificial Intelligence? Why'd we need multiple endings?
8. Can those stupid camera dissolves and wipes and multiple screens. It was just. fucking. distracting.
9. Oh, and finally, have Hulk actually kill people. Shit. You mean to fuckin tell me he tosses a TANK damn near a mile and the soldier SURVIVES??? BullSHIT.

==============================
"Ya know, making an engineer the commander of Pegasus is like giving the counselor of the Enterprise the helm. Only bad things can come of it."--nipsey, speaking truth about the late Cmdr. Gardner of the Battlestar Pegasus

Rockscissorspaper
Charter member
2042 posts
Tue Jun-24-03 05:22 AM

24. "#4 and #6..."
In response to Reply # 15
Tue Jun-24-03 05:26 AM

Both Banner and Ross did have father issues in the comic. General Ross was actually a lot more likable in the movie...

And David (actually Brian) Banner was a pretty evil fucker in the comics...abusive toward his wife and Bruce, killed his wife (can't remember if it was by accident like the movie)...

Bruce Banner's background really is tortured this wasn't something made up for the movies.

-----------------------------

HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

BrickMajors
Charter member
589 posts
Tue Jun-24-03 07:49 AM

25. "co effin sign"

>1. No goddamn mutant poodles.
>2. Trim about 45 minutes of the utterly boring exposition.
>There was no need for this movie to have been 2 hours and 20
>minutes long.
>3. Gotten a DIFFERENT actress to play Betty Ross. Jennifer
>Connelly acted as if she were on industrial strength Ritalin
>throughout the movie, which is to say, she didn't emote at
>all.
>4. Cut out the ridiculous father theme in the movie and
>stuck to the theme of the comic book--that of control vs.
>losing control.
>5. ONE antagonist. This movie had a veritable Rogue's
>Gallery of antagonists, none of whom were particularly
>interesting.
>6. Cut that shit about David Banner being eeeevil. After a
>while, it just got boring. 6a) Can all the Joss
>Whedon-style angst. This isn't fucking Dawson's Creek or
>Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Why give him such a tortured
>background? Or hell, keep it, but kill BOTH the parents.
>7. Pick a fucking ending and STICK TO IT. What is this,
>fucking Artificial Intelligence? Why'd we need multiple
>endings?
>8. Can those stupid camera dissolves and wipes and multiple
>screens. It was just. fucking. distracting.
>9. Oh, and finally, have Hulk actually kill people. Shit.
>You mean to fuckin tell me he tosses a TANK damn near a mile
>and the soldier SURVIVES??? BullSHIT.

@ the end of the day the truth of the matter is that we are running out of bullshit ideas; first they tried school zoning, then dumping money on black students (shaker heights?), giving black kids better books and facilities, none of those things worked a

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Wed Jun-25-03 09:43 PM

29. "RE: What would you have done to make"

>1. No goddamn mutant poodles.
it's for comic relief man....get over it...erybody in the theatre i was in thought it was funny...

>2. Trim about 45 minutes of the utterly boring exposition.
>There was no need for this movie to have been 2 hours and 20
>minutes long.
i agree...ang got caught up in giving the characters bios

>3. Gotten a DIFFERENT actress to play Betty Ross. Jennifer
>Connelly acted as if she were on industrial strength Ritalin
>throughout the movie, which is to say, she didn't emote at
>all.
she WAS kinda flat...BUT i know she can be better, so i blame the writers, cause betty doesn't act so passive anyway...

>4. Cut out the ridiculous father theme in the movie and
>stuck to the theme of the comic book--that of control vs.
>losing control.
it's ALL in the books (that's part of the reason banners holds so much anger in, if not for his pops being evil we wouldn't have the hulk)

>5. ONE antagonist. This movie had a veritable Rogue's
>Gallery of antagonists, none of whom were particularly
>interesting.
i thought the movie had one antagonist (blond guy) an insane guy (david) and a guy who's just trying to do the right thing (ross)

>6. Cut that shit about David Banner being eeeevil. After a
>while, it just got boring. 6a) Can all the Joss
>Whedon-style angst. This isn't fucking Dawson's Creek or
>Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Why give him such a tortured
>background? Or hell, keep it, but kill BOTH the parents.
once again, it's in the comics...

>7. Pick a fucking ending and STICK TO IT. What is this,
>fucking Artificial Intelligence? Why'd we need multiple
>endings?
i'm slow, what multiple ending??

>8. Can those stupid camera dissolves and wipes and multiple
>screens. It was just. fucking. distracting.
that shit was GREAT for a comic book movie...

>9. Oh, and finally, have Hulk actually kill people. Shit.
>You mean to fuckin tell me he tosses a TANK damn near a mile
>and the soldier SURVIVES??? BullSHIT.
he DID kill some people, accidentally though...i felt sorry for the pilot trying to outlast the hulk, that shit was a dumb move...

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

ptohemekam
Member since Jun 09th 2003
129 posts
Mon Jun-23-03 05:08 PM

17. "simple"
In response to Reply # 0

they could have had the hulk being played by a real actor rather than a computer simulation--obviously this would change the movie drastically, but for good cause

"heavy is the head that wears the crown"

eldealo
Charter member
10110 posts
Tue Jun-24-03 01:40 AM

18. "RE: simple"
In response to Reply # 17
Tue Jun-24-03 01:41 AM

that would be even more unrealistic for the concept of the movie, and the comic. everyone keeps thinking tv hulk.

for those that need a reminder of how cheesy that would look now.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/Movies/06/23/ferrigno.cnna/index.html

the hulk is actually supposed to be 1000 times more intimidating than any average day body builder.

-------------------------------------------
INFIN8 Photography
http://www.instagram.com/infin8photo
http://www.facebook.com/INFIN8Photography

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Jun-24-03 01:47 AM

19. "not necessarily."
In response to Reply # 18

in the original early-1960s run of the comic, the Hulk wasn't that much bigger than a normal human

it's just that since the late 80s, we've been so obsessed with BIG, glossy, over-the-top spectacles.

Melanism
Charter member
20453 posts
Tue Jun-24-03 01:58 AM

20. "okay then but..."
In response to Reply # 17

...how stupid would it have been to see the Hulk facing tanks and helicopters?

Having a person play the Hulk takes away the feeling that he can't be stopped.

m e l a n i s m

--Luisa and Tenoch
From "Y Tu Mama Tambien"
------------------

------------------
------------------

-------------------

Improv
Charter member
85480 posts
Tue Jun-24-03 02:35 AM

21. "This was a good non-superhero movie with a hero in it.."
In response to Reply # 0

-Improv!?, Professional Fisherman and the Jeremy Shockey of this rap shit

"all this talk of no sex talk from me. ima bring it now!"---an amped up Madwriter

RIP Simmon and Kapuni...

“Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”---George Carlin

Improv
Charter member
85480 posts
Tue Jun-24-03 02:39 AM

22. "Oh and the ending...scrap it..."
In response to Reply # 21

It was an afterthought and it came off corny...
Also if it was a superhero movie, it needed a villian. I mean who else beside the Leader was a major villian for the Hulk? I think that's a flaw in the comics and not the movie itself.

And people please forget about the tv show and how it should have been a real actor. If an actor did all the things this Hulk did, it would be even more cheesy

-Improv!?, Professional Fisherman and the Jeremy Shockey of this rap shit

"all this talk of no sex talk from me. ima bring it now!"---an amped up Madwriter

RIP Simmon and Kapuni...

“Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”---George Carlin

Melanism
Charter member
20453 posts
Tue Jun-24-03 03:12 AM

23. "What they should have done..."
In response to Reply # 22

...was have Talbot, who's character was usueless anyway, turn into The Abomination.

m e l a n i s m

--Luisa and Tenoch
From "Y Tu Mama Tambien"
------------------

------------------
------------------

-------------------

DaFlashman
Charter member
4243 posts
Tue Jun-24-03 08:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
26. "Nothing. It was brilliant."
In response to Reply # 0

n/m

---
PLEASE DIRECT E-MAIL TO dj.flash@pobox.com
Webmaster: www.OHHLA.com and www.RapReviews.com
COMING SOON: www.NintendoArchive.com

GorillaHands
Charter member
7 posts
Tue Jun-24-03 11:40 AM

28. "RE: What would you have done to make "Hulk" better?"
In response to Reply # 0

I liked the movie alot. I did think that there should have been more Hulk. That is my only real complaint. This movie ain't for kids or people with short attention spans. By the way, did anyone notice that his father turned out to be the Absorbing Man?

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Thu Jun-26-03 02:54 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
30. "WOW"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jun-26-03 02:57 AM

I loved this movie, and imho its one of the top comic movies yet. The nitpicking with the movie are for other reasons deeper then this particular movie but thats another topic for another da

Alot of the flaws that have been pointed out in this thread, really come from the comic(focus on Bruce instead of the Hulk like they loved to do every few issues, lack of a strong antagonist etc). The origin was changed from the comic, but it gave the 'Bruce' moments more bite(or would you have him for the first hour stressed out in a lab trying to cure himself, whining that he can become a near invunerable powerhouse like he does in the comic. The fact he did not outright rue the Hulks existance like he did in the Tv Show or comic already had me sold).

The pacing wasn't perfect, but compared to lets say the first X-Men, they did an excellent job. The only glaring flaw I felt was the ending felt tacked. Its not as bad as A.I., and I understand where Ang Lee was going with it, but it could have been a much smoother transision.

I would have either made David a much more involved supervillian protagonist with his powers, or kept him human and more menacingly involved in the whole movie(save the the dog incident he was alot more neutral then your run of the mill badguy). Or I would have upped the intensity Army battle and had the ending right there, with a solid earlier Hulk appearance earlier in the movie so the audience didn't feel robbed of seeing the character.

But overall, I agree with many on the thread that it was the best Hulk movie that could have been made.

downrodeo
Charter member
2232 posts
Thu Jun-26-03 12:32 PM

31. "make it darker or lighter"
In response to Reply # 0

the movie had potential. I will give it that much.

1.My first problem was that the scenes changed way too dman much in the first 45 minutes. seemd that each scene lasted at most a minute or two and then changed.
2. Another problem was that their was too much background. Alot of that shit was un necessary, alot of it could have been compressed.
3. No real analysis of the villain. even though we get a huge background on david, we still dont really see what his real motive is.
4. Damn, I dont think i even smiled one time in that movie, let alone laugh. I enjoy dark movies, alot of my top ten movies are dark movies. However, this wasn't even that dark, so that isnt an excuse. If he wanted to make it that kind of story, go all out and make it an R movie so we can explore the character further. And if it is gonna ahve a happy ending and end in a nice manner, throw in some comedy so i have a reason to watch the movie.

It came to a point where I felt that I had been ripped off for the movie, and I didnt even pay for it.

on a side note, the CGI kicked ass and the hulk looked awesome, no complaints for my eyes, they had a blast. my mind is the one bitching.

---------------------
"Life without knowledge is death in disguise." - Talib

Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #8546 Previous topic | Next topic