Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #7829

Subject: "The Book Post" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Tue Aug-12-03 09:15 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Book Post"
Tue Aug-19-03 07:01 AM

No, not me, but actual books with text in it.

I'm curious to know what books all of you are reading right now, or what books you have read. Share a review, make a suggestion, talk about authors. This section is often filled with movie reviews, but I believe it was Janey who had suggested that we incorporate more than just music and movie reviews.

--------
Unfortunately I haven't read any books in awhile, I have quite a few short fiction compilations that I have to get through. I'm writing a children's book myself so I'd rather wait until that gets done, so I can look for new books to read.

p.e.a.c.e.
-John Book

"Hip-hop developed during the first 12 years of R&B: Reagan and Bush!" - Chuck D.

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:
http://thisisbooksmusic.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/thisisjohnbook
http://www.facebook.com/book1

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: The Book Post
Aug 12th 2003
Aug 12th 2003
X!
Aug 14th 2003
Trying to get through
Aug 12th 2003
Thematic Reading: Part I
Aug 12th 2003
wow
Aug 12th 2003
      each step a different book
Aug 12th 2003
Thematic Reading: Part II The Knights Templar
Aug 12th 2003
i like dan brown a lot...
Aug 12th 2003
Thematic Reading: Part III Growing Up in the Middle Ea
Aug 12th 2003
Thematic Reading: Part IV Talking Dogs
Aug 12th 2003
Thematic Reading: Part V Special Needs Narrators
Aug 12th 2003
I liked Motherless Brooklyn a lot
Aug 19th 2003
Books about film?
Aug 12th 2003
Tosches?
Aug 12th 2003
Woodstock
Aug 12th 2003
angry candy--harlan ellison
Aug 12th 2003
Right now
Aug 12th 2003
Aug 12th 2003
i'm STILL reading "Infinite Jest"
Aug 12th 2003
You can remember it
Aug 12th 2003
      i think i was at the part where Hal
Aug 12th 2003
           hmmmm.
Aug 12th 2003
                Danielewski's House of Leaves?
Aug 12th 2003
                     I started it
Aug 13th 2003
                     I liked that
Aug 19th 2003
Journey To The End Of The Night
Aug 12th 2003
RE: Journey To The End Of The Night
Aug 12th 2003
      Emperor of Ocean Park
Aug 13th 2003
the bear comes home...
Aug 12th 2003
I loved that
Aug 12th 2003
Right now
Aug 12th 2003
Emporium -- Adam Johnson
Aug 12th 2003
For short stories
Aug 13th 2003
Aug 12th 2003
Dirty girls social club
Aug 13th 2003
Ah yes...
Aug 13th 2003
      Last one I read was......
Aug 14th 2003
      I love A Confederacy of Dunces
Aug 19th 2003
RE: 2003- so far..
Aug 13th 2003
Current rotation:
Aug 13th 2003
haha...
Aug 13th 2003
      try this:
Aug 14th 2003
For the Football Fans
Aug 13th 2003
Thank God
Aug 13th 2003
      RE: Thank God
Aug 13th 2003
           You bet!
Aug 13th 2003
                Those terms are more than suitable (n/m)
Aug 13th 2003
Right As Rain--George Pelecanos
Aug 13th 2003
Ha! I love Pelecanos
Aug 13th 2003
      This is the first I'm reading from him...
Aug 13th 2003
           The really early stuff drags
Aug 13th 2003
                Thanks for the tip!.
Aug 13th 2003
Aye and Gomorrah by Samuel Delany
Aug 13th 2003
You're more forgiving than I am
Aug 13th 2003
Ruminations by KRS-One
Aug 13th 2003
Robert Jordan: Wheel of Time
Aug 13th 2003
co-sign, but...
Aug 14th 2003
Song Of Solomon
Aug 13th 2003
my favorite toni morrison novel.
Aug 14th 2003
      RE: co-sizzle
Aug 19th 2003
Red Dragon
Aug 13th 2003
Do y'all read any entertaining books??
Aug 14th 2003
no
Aug 14th 2003
I don't have to be enlightened by a novel....
Aug 14th 2003
      RE: I don't have to be enlightened by a novel....
Aug 14th 2003
All the books I listed
Aug 14th 2003
Maybe because the titles and descriptions...
Aug 14th 2003
      well, I'm a lot older than you
Aug 14th 2003
           RE: how old are you?
Aug 14th 2003
           old
Aug 14th 2003
           Well, I'm 27....
Aug 14th 2003
                I got you beat
Aug 14th 2003
                     So was I....
Aug 14th 2003
Absolutely...
Aug 14th 2003
      have you noticed
Aug 14th 2003
           hey, im tired of these
Aug 14th 2003
           RE: hey, im tired of these
Aug 14th 2003
           Good or great contemporary black novelists
Aug 14th 2003
                RE: Good or great contemporary black novelists
Aug 14th 2003
                You don't know Colson Whitehead?
Aug 14th 2003
                     RE: You don't know Colson Whitehead?
Aug 14th 2003
                Thanks! *takes notes*
Aug 14th 2003
                     If you don't know Ernest Gaines
Aug 14th 2003
                          RE: If you don't know Ernest Gaines
Aug 14th 2003
                          I take that back...
Aug 14th 2003
           I know what you mean
Aug 14th 2003
           RE: I know what you mean
Aug 14th 2003
                Start with
Aug 14th 2003
           I hear you....
Aug 14th 2003
           zadie smith and paul beatty
Aug 19th 2003
           RE: have you noticed
Aug 14th 2003
Step by Step through Deleuze & Guattari
Aug 14th 2003
RE: Step by Step through Deleuze & Guattari
Aug 15th 2003
Aug 14th 2003
al_sharp is reading 'The Wishbones' right now...
Aug 15th 2003
message #92 - impressive
Aug 15th 2003
I'm skurred
Aug 18th 2003
Aug 18th 2003
Tom Robbins-Jitterbug Perfume ...
Aug 18th 2003
Jack Kerouac - On the Road
Aug 18th 2003
glyph - percival everett
Aug 19th 2003
see the sig
Aug 19th 2003
RE: see the sig
Aug 19th 2003
Aug 19th 2003

Aesop
Member since Jul 22nd 2003
4701 posts
Tue Aug-12-03 09:21 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "RE: The Book Post"
In response to Reply # 0

Malcolm X as told to Alex Haley... Just started it though, can't really comment on it.

(sigless)

1Mind
Charter member
342 posts
Tue Aug-12-03 10:05 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "RE: The Book Post"
In response to Reply # 1

just finished this, it was long overdue...it is most certainly one of the most engaging life stories i've ever come across, and malcolm's bravery and ambition are something all races should be proud of...

-1Mind

organix
Member since Jul 10th 2002
855 posts
Thu Aug-14-03 03:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
86. "X!"
In response to Reply # 1

this would be in my top 5.
its like a different person was telling the story as he went through his stages in life. i was really amazed when he said he copied down the dictionary, word for word, damn! and the trip to mecca that was a highlight for me. i really really wish this guy was still alive. i took away from the book, a sense that being openly bold and passionate, can be a really good thing.

-----------------------------

my music: www.soundcloud.com/jessewarren
my mixes: www.mixcloud.com/jessewarren
my label: www.fb.com/mettamuzik

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Tue Aug-12-03 09:22 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Trying to get through"
In response to Reply # 0

"Ulysses" by James Joyce. His streamofconcioussnessstyle is hard to understand, though, so I bought a reader to help me through.

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Tue Aug-12-03 09:32 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Thematic Reading: Part I"
In response to Reply # 0

Step One: Everything Is Illuminated, by Jonathan Safran Foer, in which American boy travels to Eastern Europe to learn family history and resolve outstanding issues.

Step Two: Nowhere Man, by Aleksander Hemon, in which Eastern European boy travels to US to broaden horizons and is more or less caught in Chicago when Bosnia/Herzogovinian war breaks out.

Step Three: Oxygen, by Andrew Miller, in which two men attend their dying mother; one of the men is translating a play by an Eastern European playwright, writing in French and living in France. Separately, the playwright travels to Eastern Europe to provide underground support and to resolve emotional issues outstanding since the '56 uprising.

Step Four: Prague, by Arthur Phillips, in which five American kids live, love and laugh in Budapest shortly after the fall of the Berlin Wall.

~ ~ ~
All meetings end in separation
All acquisition ends in dispersion
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

Every hundred years, all new people

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Tue Aug-12-03 09:35 AM

5. "wow"
In response to Reply # 3

Now are these chapters in one book (assuming from the title), or four different books? Sounds like something I would enjoy reading.

p.e.a.c.e.
-John Book

"Hip-hop developed during the first 12 years of R&B: Reagan and Bush!" - Chuck D.

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Tue Aug-12-03 09:40 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "each step a different book"
In response to Reply # 5

Each book worth reading

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Tue Aug-12-03 09:34 AM

4. "Thematic Reading: Part II The Knights Templar"
In response to Reply # 0

Some people at work gave me The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown as a gift, so I read it, even though it's not really my kind of book. It's fun, though, unless and until you take it as gospel (pun intended).

There are some good comments in the book about the dangers of taking metaphor as literal truth, and those who read the book are advised to remember that before they go off and start a Mary Magdelene cult.

It's the same thing that I've been talking about re: "911" vs. "September 11".

Anyway.

Then, I re-read Umberto Eco's classic Foucault's Pendulum, which I hadn't read in a dog's years but which, as I recalled, was a somewhat more intellectually rigorous and skeptical treatment of much of the same material.

One of the things that is repeated pretty regularly in Foucault's Pendulum is that one sure way to spot a lunatic is that they have written a book on the Knights Templar, a nice little logic game Eco plays on us.

Epimenides the Cretan says all Cretans are liars. It must be true, because he's a Cretan himself and knows his countrymen well. On the other hand, those who call Epimenides a liar have to think all Cretans aren't, but Cretans don't trust Cretans, therefore no Cretan calls Epimenides a liar.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

dem_fly_up
Charter member
665 posts
Tue Aug-12-03 12:54 PM

25. "i like dan brown a lot..."
In response to Reply # 4

angels and demons is good as well.

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Tue Aug-12-03 09:36 AM

6. "Thematic Reading: Part III Growing Up in the Middle Ea"
In response to Reply # 0

Persepolis, by Marjane Satrapi. This is a "graphic novel," or hardcover comic book. I'm not a huge fan of the genre and this book won't make me one, but the information conveyed is certainly powerful. Satrapi grew up in a fairly liberal household in Iran during the Islamic Revolution; many family members and friends were imprisoned or executed. She has a fairly clear view of herself as a normal kid growing up in abnormal times, which gives one great pause, finally leaving for the west as a teenager -- without her family.

And the fact that it's done in comic book style means that we don't have to ask ourselves whether she can write, which is the real question in Funny in Farsi; a Memoir of Growing Up Iranian in America, by Firoozeh Dumas. Sadly, Dumas' writing leaves much to be desired. Unlike Satrapi's family, Dumas' family was happy enough to leave Iran for Southern California several years before the fall of the Shah. There, they lived a very happy, if silly, life, going from Disneyland to Costco and so forth. Not as funny as she wishes she were nor as interesting as Satrapi, I say skip this one.

Remembering Childhood in the Middle East is a more scholarly work, a collection of essays by people from a number of different middle eastern countries, born throughout the 20th century. The disappointment here is that we don't learn about any one person in any great detail.

Edward Said said that rather than going to sourcebooks like the Koran, people in the U.S. would better inform themselves about Middle Eastern culture and philosophy by reading some of Naguib Mahfouz' works. So that's next for me.

In the meantime, I thoroughly enjoyed the novel Kabul, by M.E. Hirsch, which takes place in Afghanistan in the mid-70s; and The Map of Love, by Ahdaf Soueif, which is about two women, each of whom touch two cultures, inviting understanding of different generations and places.... and it also is a nice love story. Don't be taken in by her other book In the Eye of the Sun, however, as it is quite disappointing after the first.

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

This is a novel, so it doesn't really fit in this topic, but who cares, since this topic isn't getting much attention anyway...

It's also Hosseini's first novel, and the writing isn't brilliant. I don't mean that he isn't a good writer, he's a perfectly good writer. And the story is a good story, too.

And it takes place against a backdrop of modern Afghanistan history -- the last visit to Afghanistan in the book takes place in March 2001, but the book ends a year later... But it's not so much about the political except to the extent that the personal is political, which of course it is, but.... You won't come away understanding Afghan history the way you will after reading Kabul (mentioned above), but you may have more empathy for the Afghan people....

I generally like first novels, because they're usually so raw and so honest. This one overthinks its story by just the smallest amount, and that makes for a little too much coincidence, and a little too much justice, in the end.

It's sad, too, because there are whole chunks of the book that are wonderful, but then they don't necessarily hang together all that well. Almost like they were written at very different times in the writer's life or edited by different people or something. It's strange.

But it's still a good read.

Another novel

West of the Jordan by Diane Halaby. I liked it, although it was a little too short for my taste and as a result I thought that there were a lot of emotional explorations that were overlooked. Also, it's told from four different perspectives, and I never quite got the hang of the characters, all of whom are writing in the first person including when they are telling other people's stories.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Tue Aug-12-03 09:38 AM

7. "Thematic Reading: Part IV Talking Dogs"
In response to Reply # 0

The Dogs of Babel, by Carolyn Parkhurst, 2003

Lives of the Monster Dogs, by Kirsten Bakis, 1998

Let the Dog Drive, by David Bowman, 1994 (no actual talking dogs in this one, but the dogs are used instead of crash test dummies, which scores points in my book)

Any biography of David Berkowitz

Red Zone : The Behind-the-Scenes Story of the San Francisco Dog Mauling, by Aphrodite Jones, 2003 (Should have been titled "If Only Dogs Could Talk).

I'm getting off track.

Flush, by Virginia Woolf. The story of Elizabeth Barrett Browning and Robert Browning, told by the cocker spaniel.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Tue Aug-12-03 09:39 AM

8. "Thematic Reading: Part V Special Needs Narrators"
In response to Reply # 0

Motherless Brooklyn, by Jonathan Lethem. Narrator has Tourette's.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime, by Mark Haddon. Narrator is autistic.

Chapter One of The Sound and the Fury, by William Faulkner. Narrator, Benjy, is uhm mentally retarded.

Being There, by Jerzy Kozinski. Narrator is... slow.

Horace Afoot; and Henry of Atlantic City, both by Paul Reuss. Narrators are noble savages. Or something.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

johnny_domino
Charter member
17027 posts
Tue Aug-19-03 04:54 AM

99. "I liked Motherless Brooklyn a lot"
In response to Reply # 8

it was very interesting to learn about other components of Tourette's, not just the speech part.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38821 posts
Tue Aug-12-03 09:43 AM

10. "Books about film?"
In response to Reply # 0

Not trying to turn this into a film thread but I'm interested right now in reading more books about film. I Recently finished reading "Easy Riders Raging Bulls" which covers Hollywood in the 70's and I really enjoyed it. I'm interested in reading more books on the subject. Particularly any books about...

Film History
Great Directors
McCarthyism/Blacklists in film

Any recommendations would be great

Oh and I'm currently reading Dean Martin's biography "Dino" by Nick Tosches which coincidentally Scorsese was going to adapt with Tom Hanks playing Martin but it never happened. But I digress, and this is a book thread

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Tue Aug-12-03 09:50 AM

11. "Tosches?"
In response to Reply # 10

...Have we met someplace else?

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Tue Aug-12-03 10:14 AM

15. "Woodstock"
In response to Reply # 10

This one was edited by Dale Bell. I recommended this before, but outside of being about the Woodstock festival and the music, it is a great book about documentary filmmaking, where you have to brave the unknown elements and take whatever comes. The group of filmmakers and camerapeople at Woodstock were fresh out of college or in college, so they were ready to do anything and everything for the sake of the job (even though many of them did it for free). Most of those people are still involved in the film industry today, and many of the techniques used are still used in documentary filmmaking.

p.e.a.c.e.
-John Book

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:

atrackbrown
Charter member
2362 posts
Tue Aug-12-03 10:00 AM

12. "angry candy--harlan ellison"
In response to Reply # 0

a collecton of short stories

the man is wonderful and wrote my favorite episode of star trek.

if you can get your hands on a copy of shatterday, do it.

jefty is five made me bawl, literally. i cried like a child, it was pathetic.

Pay no attention when I laugh. I'm a notorious pervert in that respect

http://atrackbrown.blogspot.com/

Nesta
Charter member
7130 posts
Tue Aug-12-03 10:11 AM

14. "Right now"
In response to Reply # 0

Well I just finished The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

I'm currently reading:

- A Peace to End All Peace: The Fall of the Ottoman Empire and the Creation of the Modern Middle East by David Fromkin
Long as hell but I'll get through it eventually. I read about 50 pages then I read a novel adn then I go back.

- Random Family: Love, Drugs, Trouble, and Coming of Age in the Bronx by Adrian Nicole LeBlanc
I just picked this one up.

- A Wild Sheep Chase
by Haruki Murakami

"The game's in the refrigerator, the door's closed, the light's out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's getting hard and the Jell-O's jiggling." - Chick Hearn

"I think Brett Favre basically is a selfish guy, Brett Favre goes out there with his gray hair, his Wranglers and gets up when he gets hit. I understand why people like that. But there's another side. He's a selfish guy." - Teddy Atlas

Illgamesh
Member since Jun 27th 2002
8436 posts
Tue Aug-12-03 10:57 AM

16. "RE: The Book Post"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Aug-12-03 10:59 AM

Just finishing "Easy Riders Raging Bulls."

I think this has been discussed here before (its where I got the recommendation, actually.), so I won't go into details about it.

<EDIT> Just read Mynoriti's post (after posting this). HE beat me to the punch, again. </EDIT>

After that its either "The Horse's Mouth" or "The LAst Temptation of Christ"

Though I really should get my summer reading done. Hmmmm. Maybe "Black Boy," actually.

Boston Red Sox - The worst is over. Let's do this.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Aug-12-03 11:12 AM

17. "i'm STILL reading "Infinite Jest""
In response to Reply # 0

i was on a roll reading books at the tail end of last year and then i picked up "Infinite Jest" and i'm not sure but i think it killed my desire to read for pleasure. i have enjoyed parts of the book tremendously (the Hal storyline is my favorite), but it's quite a chore to read (w/the footnotes and the diverging storylines and the convoluted storytelling and the time thing and the order and the LENGTH). i really should have taken notes when i read it b/c now i'm afraid i'll pick it up and not remember what's happened in the stories to the point where left off. and i was about 600 pages into the +/-1200 page book so it's not like i can SKIM the previously read sections.

maybe i should hope they make a movie.

fuck you.

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Tue Aug-12-03 11:15 AM

18. "You can remember it"
In response to Reply # 17

I promise. If not, ask here and we'll answer for you.

Try skipping the footnotes. I loved them, but they're not actually essential to the story.

Remember what Jay McInerney said in the review when it was first published? Something like, "You'll hate Wallace for having written a 1200 page book in which you want to read EVERY word."

I actually have read it twice.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Aug-12-03 11:22 AM

19. "i think i was at the part where Hal"
In response to Reply # 18
Tue Aug-12-03 11:23 AM

takes that drug...i can't remember if it's shrooms or what.

i was supposed to read it on the way over to & from Holland and Ghana, but i slept. i figured 28 hrs on a plane would be enough to finish a nice chunk of the book.

ha!

i'm going to finish it though. i'm determined.

fuck you.

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Tue Aug-12-03 11:40 AM

22. "hmmmm."
In response to Reply # 19

you mean THE drug?

That's pretty much at the end....

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

heiro5
Member since Sep 09th 2002
933 posts
Tue Aug-12-03 05:03 PM

28. "Danielewski's House of Leaves?"
In response to Reply # 22

Did you dig that? Or did you find it too corny?

I liked the spooky story, and I enjoyed following the text around the book, but the Hollywood guy's footnotes became a bit tedious to me.

I'm tired of stretching money out like elastic. --Big Pooh

It's worse than not insightful. It's not funny. --W. Allen

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Wed Aug-13-03 05:25 AM

33. "I started it"
In response to Reply # 28

and put it down.
And started it.
And put it down.
Maybe I'll try again soon.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

johnny_domino
Charter member
17027 posts
Tue Aug-19-03 04:57 AM

100. "I liked that"
In response to Reply # 28

and it's not as long as it seems. As the book goes on, some of the pages only have one word on them.

King_Friday
Member since Nov 22nd 2002
3087 posts
Tue Aug-12-03 11:23 AM

20. "Journey To The End Of The Night"
In response to Reply # 0

Journey To The End Of The Night - written by Louis-Ferdinand Celine.

This is probably my favorite book (for now anyway). Celine wrote this in the early 1930s. It follows the character Ferdinand Bardamu through several stages of his life. First as a soldier, then later as he takes a job in a colony in Africa, his adventures in America, and finally as a doctor to the poor back in France.

Celine manages, in this novel, to address with startling intensity and clarity some of the most important issues in the world at his time (and our time as well). He exposes the absolute lunacy of war, the ugly abusive nature of a french colony in Africa, the struggles of the poor to live their lives through sickness and debt.

Celine writes with a great sense of humour, but also with a lot of fire and sometimes just plain spitefulness.

The main character here is not free from the ugliness he describes, he's right in the middle of it, and frequently he is just as ugly. It only makes it more real without a definite hero moving his way through it. It's a smart work which never gives in to conventionality

It's a powerful book. I recommend it.

Mally
Member since Jun 28th 2002
212 posts
Tue Aug-12-03 11:30 AM

21. "RE: Journey To The End Of The Night"
In response to Reply # 20

Our Kind of People - Lawrence Otis Graham
The Emperor of Ocean Park - Stephen L. Carter
Vernon Can Read - Vernon Jordan
Of Water and the Spirit - forgot?

You wanna know why, yo first of all, yo first of all you can't be askin me no question knowhatI'msayin who the fuck is you? YouknowhatI'msayin? You can't be askin me no questions. I'ma tell you why I'm mad, youknowhatI'msayin? I'ma tell you why I'm mad.

Nesta
Charter member
7130 posts
Wed Aug-13-03 09:11 AM

36. "Emperor of Ocean Park"
In response to Reply # 21

was a good ass read. a real page turner.

"The game's in the refrigerator, the door's closed, the light's out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's getting hard and the Jell-O's jiggling." - Chick Hearn

"I think Brett Favre basically is a selfish guy, Brett Favre goes out there with his gray hair, his Wranglers and gets up when he gets hit. I understand why people like that. But there's another side. He's a selfish guy." - Teddy Atlas

roamr1
Charter member
18832 posts
Tue Aug-12-03 12:08 PM

23. "the bear comes home..."
In response to Reply # 0

by rafi zabor (sp?)

it's about a sax playing bear. sounds funny i know, but it's great reading.

i'm finishing white teeth right now.

i still have blues people to read too.

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Tue Aug-12-03 12:15 PM

24. "I loved that"
In response to Reply # 23

I thought it was three books, which varied in their success.

I thought it was a book about jazz, which was GREAT.
I thought it was a book about a talking bear, which was really good.
I thought it was a love story, which wasn't quite so successful.

But I thought he conveyed the feeling of jazz really beautifully.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

bassndaplace
Charter member
11692 posts
Tue Aug-12-03 02:56 PM

26. "Right now"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm reading "John A Williams" - "The Man Who Cried I Am" - It's brilliant - I'll try and holla back with more if this thread is still around - By the way go cop this book now! if you haven't read it...

www.scottstewartphotos.com

heiro5
Member since Sep 09th 2002
933 posts
Tue Aug-12-03 04:56 PM

27. "Emporium -- Adam Johnson"
In response to Reply # 0

It's been short stories pretty strictly this year. Trying to figure out the short narrative.

Adam Johnson's stories have me so stressed out. I know that may not sound appealing, but they're really quite good. Odd characters and situations, sometimes in a near future that is essentially a bigger-than-now metaphor for where we're at with fear or violence. Unexpected contrasts of the mundane and the strange.

There seem to be a lot of guns in the stories, and yet they are not particularly violent stories. For the most part. Most of the characters share a confused struggling against isolation.

Now, I may be bringing a lot of the anxiety to the table myself (2003, whoo-boy...), but I've actually had to put this down for a couple of days because, well, I can't take it. I've gone back to some ponderous Chester Himes stories I was reading.

But I'm looking forward to the rest of them. It's a little slip of a book.

I'm tired of stretching money out like elastic. --Big Pooh

It's worse than not insightful. It's not funny. --W. Allen

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Wed Aug-13-03 05:26 AM

34. "For short stories"
In response to Reply # 27

I'm not a huge fan of the genre, but I love the short stories by Andre Dubus, Richard Yates (don't read too many at once or you'll commit suicide) and, of course, Vladimir Nabakov.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

benny
Member since Jan 15th 2003
8436 posts
Tue Aug-12-03 08:58 PM

29. "RE: The Book Post"
In response to Reply # 0

just finished reading Catcher in the Rye (3rd time), one of my fave books, with one of my fave characters
currently: a collection of short stories by Hubert Selby Jr (forget the title), and Harry Potter 5 (gotta finish that, i'm on p500)

------------------------------
For the record, my teams:
MLB: Mets / Soccer: PSG
NCAA BB: Arizona / NCAA FB: Michigan
NBA: Spurs / NFL: Jets

AtlantaTHEPhoenix
Charter member
161 posts
Wed Aug-13-03 01:23 AM

30. "Dirty girls social club"
In response to Reply # 0

by alicia valdes-rodriguez is a funny summer read.
also, finally reading paulo coelho's the alchemist. lifechanging, that book.

32 flavors & then some,

Atlanta the Phoenix

...God help u if u are a PHOENIX and u dare 2 rise up from the ash... a thousand eyes will smolder in jealousy while u are just flying past..

Theusualsuspect
Member since Feb 01st 2003
135 posts
Wed Aug-13-03 01:49 AM

31. "Ah yes..."
In response to Reply # 30

The Alchemist really is a life changing book, I recommend it to all. I tend to read several books at once so right now I am reading:
-Life of Pi
-Confederacy of Dunces
-A Fine Balance
-I know This Much Is True
-Just started Soul On Ice too, and eventually I will get back to finishing Paradise, but I find this one to be a bit of a hard read, not because of a lack of understanding, but a lack of attention-grabbing material. I don't think it's one of Morrisson's best.

Join the Army! Travel to exotic, distant lands. Meet exciting, unusual people, and kill them.- Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket.

Join the Army! Travel to exotic, distant lands. Meet exciting, unusual people, and kill them.- Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket

KiiaMonet
Member since Feb 13th 2003
579 posts
Thu Aug-14-03 09:31 AM

85. "Last one I read was......"
In response to Reply # 31

Push by Sapphire - Very disturbing.

And right after that...

Chocolate Star - Don't remember the name of the author.

Now I'm on the Bondwoman's narrative.

johnny_domino
Charter member
17027 posts
Tue Aug-19-03 04:58 AM

101. "I love A Confederacy of Dunces"
In response to Reply # 31

Probably still my favorite book of all time. The main characters are still so damn funny.

GROOVEPHI
Charter member
10630 posts
Wed Aug-13-03 02:45 AM

32. "RE: 2003- so far.."
In response to Reply # 0

siddhartha
ishmael
song of solomon
beloved
by any means necessary: the trials and tribulations of making malcolm x
midnight's children
wrapped in rainbows: the life of zora neale hurston
the fire next time
go tell it on the mountain
the beautyful ones are not yet born
spike lee: interviews
petals of blood
the healers
reading a house for mr biswas
reading the satanic verses
animal farm

unohoo
Charter member
15278 posts
Wed Aug-13-03 06:54 AM

35. "Current rotation:"
In response to Reply # 0

Slapboxing with Jesus-Victor Lavalle -> Collection of short stories mostly set in Queens. I guess the stories are supposed to be a slice of the gritty life in QB but they fall flat in my opinion. The stories are depressing, dull and for the most part pointless. The guy is real hit or miss though, at his best he's able to do some decent dialoge, at his worst vague rambling stands in for profundity. The best thing about it is that it's an easy read, I'm almost finished.

Journey to the End of the Night-Ferdinand Celine-> A novel set in France during I believe in World War I. I initially read "London Bridge" which was like attack of the killer ellipses, but that book had a more manic quality about it that I thought was interesting. This book so far is about a guy who seems to be flying by the seat of his pants that got caught up in the war effort and is trying to get out. Not what I was expecting so it has found the backburner for now. (I'm sick of anything that mentions either World War)

The Autograph Man-Zadie Smith -> Haven't really started this book. So far I know the main character seems to be a Chinese Jew. Read "White Teeth" and figured that was alright and tried her again.

--------------------

blah blah blah

roamr1
Charter member
18832 posts
Wed Aug-13-03 09:37 AM

37. "haha..."
In response to Reply # 35

attack of the killer ellipses?

unohoo
Charter member
15278 posts
Thu Aug-14-03 02:37 AM

54. "try this:"
In response to Reply # 37

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1564781755/ref=lib_rd_next_6/104-0675820-5002308?v=glance&s=books&vi=reader&img=6#reader-link

see what I mean

---------------------------------------

--------------------

blah blah blah

TurkeylegJenkins
Charter member
18021 posts
Wed Aug-13-03 09:51 AM

38. "For the Football Fans"
In response to Reply # 0

Some of you might be aware that I'm an acquisitions editor at a major New York publishing house. Anyway, my new book is just hitting the shelves this week, and it has all the makings of a great success.

The title of the book is Going Long: The Wild Ten Year Saga of the Renegade American Football League In The Words of Those Who Lived It

It's a really fun read. An oral history of the AFL. If you're a football fan and you've got a little bit of history buff in you, you'll love this book. I know I had a blast editing it.

Oh, and if you check Amazon, that green cover is NOT the final cover. The real cover is yellow/orange.

"People died so I can rhyme. You think I'm gonna grab the mic and waste my nation's time?" -- KRS ONE

REGENERATE YOUR HEADPIECE: http://www.regeneratedheadpiece.com

Blog: http://bluenatic.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/bluenatic
Tumblr: http://bluenaticfringe.tumblr.com/
MSG column archive: http://bit.ly/bgV4T6
Facebook: http://www.face

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Wed Aug-13-03 10:25 AM

39. "Thank God"
In response to Reply # 38

I was afraid you were going to recommend A Fan's Notes.... lol...

Seriously, this one sounds good. I'm old enough -- just barely -- to remember the merger with the NFL and what a big fuss that was. And there's a great essay by Hunter Thompson from his very early stuff, talking about average salaries in football compared to other sports, and what a scandal it was. I'll keep my eyes open for this one, although I would prefer to buy it from an independent bookseller than from Amazon...

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

TurkeylegJenkins
Charter member
18021 posts
Wed Aug-13-03 10:41 AM

40. "RE: Thank God"
In response to Reply # 39

If you agree to review it, I'll send you a free copy.

"People died so I can rhyme. You think I'm gonna grab the mic and waste my nation's time?" -- KRS ONE

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Wed Aug-13-03 10:57 AM

41. "You bet!"
In response to Reply # 40

Here and/or on Loosie? If Loosie, I can't guarantee that they'll post it, but I can certainly promise to provide it to them for posting....

If these terms are suitable, I'll inbox you with my address.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

TurkeylegJenkins
Charter member
18021 posts
Wed Aug-13-03 11:10 AM

42. "Those terms are more than suitable (n/m)"
In response to Reply # 41

kurlyswirl
Member since Jul 13th 2002
16693 posts
Wed Aug-13-03 11:33 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
43. "Right As Rain--George Pelecanos"
In response to Reply # 0

Just starting it...He's one of the head writers for "The Wire." ks

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"I predict...................Nadal will embarrass dudes" - Deebot

http://www.facebook.com/kurlyswirl

I be Scrobblin': http://www.last.fm/user/TasteeTreat/

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Wed Aug-13-03 11:40 AM

44. "Ha! I love Pelecanos"
In response to Reply # 43

especially his later stuff. Right as Rain is a good one. I think it's my favorite.

But all the ones with those characters are worth reading.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

kurlyswirl
16693 posts
Wed Aug-13-03 11:49 AM

45. "This is the first I'm reading from him..."
In response to Reply # 44

But if I like it as much as I think I will, I'm looking forward to having quite a collection of his books! ks

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Wed Aug-13-03 12:01 PM

46. "The really early stuff drags"
In response to Reply # 45

The later stuff, including King Suckerman, Hell To Pay, and Soul Circus (as well as Right as Rain), are all great.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

kurlyswirl
16693 posts
Wed Aug-13-03 12:38 PM

49. "Thanks for the tip!."
In response to Reply # 46

ks

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Wed Aug-13-03 12:13 PM

47. "Aye and Gomorrah by Samuel Delany"
In response to Reply # 0

he's a very amazing sci fi writer..to bad folk just arent ready to go there with him....

Im about to get Susanna Moore's In The Cut..the story was fierce..im actually trying to get amped about Jane Campion directing the movie version (and Jane wrote it too) im not sure how i feel about Meg Ryan..i could have seen Cate Blanchett or Naomi Watts in the role..but ill give Meg a chance.

RC

Get Out the Room
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Some of y'all need this in your life: http://www.psychology.com

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Wed Aug-13-03 12:31 PM

48. "You're more forgiving than I am"
In response to Reply # 47

that role is NOT for Meg Ryan. That was a great book and it was supposed to put Susannah Moore on the map, but so far, no. Maybe the movie will help, although a bad version of the book won't help sell books. Or will it?

Moore has a very dark streak in her writing. Also, for Hawaii fans, she sets many (most?) of her books there.

I like her, but I can only read a little at a time, and I haven't ever been able to re-read In The Cut because the ending was too powerful/disturbing for me.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

shephrd
Charter member
1038 posts
Wed Aug-13-03 01:06 PM

50. "Ruminations by KRS-One"
In response to Reply # 0

GriftyMcgrift
Member since May 22nd 2002
20414 posts
Wed Aug-13-03 03:19 PM

51. "Robert Jordan: Wheel of Time"
In response to Reply # 0

yes im a fanatasy geek

I also like anthropology books, more specifically thins about the Mayans.

organix
Member since Jul 10th 2002
855 posts
Thu Aug-14-03 03:51 PM

87. "co-sign, but..."
In response to Reply # 51

I dig Terry Goodkinds Sword of Truth series much more.

But actually, the Eye of the World was THE book that got me not only into fantasy, but into pleasure reading in general. My friend handed it to me and said "you wont be dissapointed" and I wasnt. However midway through the second book, I just couldnt go on. Terry's fast paced style and philosophical raving is more appealing to me. Although Pillars of Creation was pretty wack, I hope this new Naked Empire picks things up a bit. Faith of the Fallen, and Wizards First Rule = unbeatable. Additionally, when you switch over to Sci-fi, nothign beats Enders Game by Card.

-----------------------------

my music: www.soundcloud.com/jessewarren
my mixes: www.mixcloud.com/jessewarren
my label: www.fb.com/mettamuzik

SammyJankis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
6358 posts
Wed Aug-13-03 04:03 PM

52. "Song Of Solomon"
In response to Reply # 0

by toni morrison

my third time reading it.

___

And who are you; the proud lord said, that I must bow so low?

www.twitter.com/JayTeeDee

www.juwandickerson.com

jvictoria
Charter member
8620 posts
Thu Aug-14-03 05:35 AM

60. "my favorite toni morrison novel."
In response to Reply # 52

i bought that again recently
it has one of my favorite lines ever in it, about surrendering to the air...

sometimes she lets the genius factor get in the way of her writing (see: jazz) but song of solomon, like sula, was a milestone

......................................................................................

May you be in love everyday for the next 20,000 days. And out of that love, remake a world. ~Ray Bradbury

There was an artist...who was disposed to strive after perfection...As he made no compromise with Time, Time kept out of his way and only sighed at a distance because he could not overcome him. ~Thoreau

GROOVEPHI
Charter member
10630 posts
Tue Aug-19-03 06:37 AM

103. "RE: co-sizzle"
In response to Reply # 60

i read beloved first, then song of solomon. the latter was a great book! was very disappointed after reading beloved, maybe it was hyped up too much. im definitely looking forward to more morrison, maybe the bluest eye next.

OTS
Charter member
1970 posts
Wed Aug-13-03 11:17 PM

53. "Red Dragon"
In response to Reply # 0

I read Silence Of The lambs and it was one of the best reads I've experienced, thus Red Dragon was an easy choice. I'm only 70 pages in. Will Graham is about to meet Lecter and ask for his help.

After I finish it I will of course see the movie.

peace

KCPlayer21
Charter member
30076 posts
Thu Aug-14-03 03:37 AM

55. "Do y'all read any entertaining books??"
In response to Reply # 0

every book I see that someone has posted about sounds like something that I would read for a class, not to get entertained. I love to read, and yes I read alot of non-fiction serious books, but sometimes I like to read something with a good story that I don't have to think too hard about.

"People make their jokes, and say we're off to see the Wizard
But me and Dorothy and Toto's on yo' ass when you visit"
-Kansas City's own Tech N9ne

We the children of the Light, you know what I mean?
That's why I'm hating on the darkness like Paula Deen
Cause in my hood they masked up like it's Halloween
We going hard for the Rock, but we not some fiends
- Andy Mineo

GROOVEPHI
Charter member
10630 posts
Thu Aug-14-03 04:09 AM

56. "no"
In response to Reply # 55
Thu Aug-14-03 04:10 AM

i watch tv shows for entertainment.
there are some books (some on this post) that are both enlightening and entertaining. if i cant be enlightened in some way by a novel, u wont catch me reading it.

whats on your reading list?

KCPlayer21
Charter member
30076 posts
Thu Aug-14-03 04:40 AM

57. "I don't have to be enlightened by a novel...."
In response to Reply # 56

to enjoy it, sometimes I just like a good story. As far as my reading list, I haven't been reading alot for recreation the last few weeks since me and my fiance had 6 books we had to read for our premarital counseling classes. But before I started, the last books I had read were Eric Jerome Dickey's last book, and Jennifer Government, by Max Barry. Its a satirical look at how the world would be if there were no government and everything was run by corporations. I also enjoy Octavia Butler, and Tananarive Due, who FINALLY has a new book coming out next month...

- Andy Mineo

GROOVEPHI
Charter member
10630 posts
Thu Aug-14-03 04:43 AM

58. "RE: I don't have to be enlightened by a novel...."
In response to Reply # 57

neither do i, but i am interested in reading stuff that has a purpose other than just telling a story. its about preference. read what u like player..

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Thu Aug-14-03 05:03 AM

59. "All the books I listed"

are entertaining to me.

I find it difficult to believe that you actually read my posts on thematic reading. If you did, you should have seen the enjoyment that I take in the books.

And I pretty much only read novels, or like 90% of my reading is fiction, which for me is sheer entertainment and something of a guilty pleasure.

So I'm missing the part about how the books aren't entertaining.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

KCPlayer21
Charter member
30076 posts
Thu Aug-14-03 06:07 AM

61. "Maybe because the titles and descriptions..."
In response to Reply # 59

sounded like books I would have to read for AP English. I guess I like more mainstream literature, but I will definitely go to the library to look up some of the titles you suggested. Never know, I may probably like them too....

- Andy Mineo

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Thu Aug-14-03 06:09 AM

62. "well, I'm a lot older than you"
In response to Reply # 61

and finished AP English, college and graduate school a while ago, so maybe our tastes are different because we're at different stages of life.

But what about the graphic novel about growing up in Iran? That doesn't sound like something you would read on your own?

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

GROOVEPHI
Charter member
10630 posts
Thu Aug-14-03 06:18 AM

63. "RE: how old are you?"
In response to Reply # 62

if you dont mind me asking
i took ap english in high school and was never assigned any reading in college (except 'the miseducation of the negro' and 'invisible man'<--not sure about that one though).
im 24 and now i find myself reading or re-reading the stuff i was assigned in high school, some things that i was assigned but didnt read (but should have)..i never thought i'd be into novels until recently, reading marquez, rushdie, naipaul, morrison, hurston, dostoevsky, orwell, etc, etc...

i used to find pleasure/entertainment in reading donald goines novels and black panther biographies. now, you find in the backseat of my car, the everyman's library edition of a house for mr biswas and a library copy of the alchemist (among the maxwell now cd, roy hargrove, freeway, and a bootleg jay z best of joint).

i gotta have it (c) ed o.g. and the bulldog

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Thu Aug-14-03 06:21 AM

64. "old"
In response to Reply # 63

I'm not twice your age, but I'm old enough to be your mother.

But I've been reading as a sport since I was 4. It's my escape.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

KCPlayer21
Charter member
30076 posts
Thu Aug-14-03 06:21 AM

65. "Well, I'm 27...."
In response to Reply # 62

so I don't know if you're "that" much older than me (matter of fact, my 10 yr high school reunion is next year), but the graphic novel did sound kinda interesting. I've never read one before (I've been trying to find League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, but everywhere is sold out) so it would be kinda interesting to see how they flow. But I don't think it would have been something that I actively sought out on my own. I usually always look for some kind of recommendation or review to help me find new stuff to read.....

- Andy Mineo

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Thu Aug-14-03 07:08 AM

66. "I got you beat"
In response to Reply # 65
Thu Aug-14-03 07:08 AM

my 25 year high school reunion is this year.

(edit)

Again, however, I was reading voraciously from a very early age. It's my escape.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

KCPlayer21
Charter member
30076 posts
Thu Aug-14-03 09:22 AM

83. "So was I...."
In response to Reply # 66

my parents always tease me that when I was 5, when my grandmother asked me what I wanted for my birthday, I told her a library card.....

- Andy Mineo

kurlyswirl
16693 posts
Thu Aug-14-03 07:09 AM

67. "Absolutely..."

But I'm finding that the books I was forced to read in high school are the ones I find highly entertaining now that I've matured enough to really appreciate them.

I went through a phase where I read tons of contemporary African-American fiction: E. Lynn Harris, Bebe Moore Campbell, Connie Briscoe, Terry MacMillan and the like. I liken most of their books to Chinese food--They filled me up while I was reading them, but soon afterward, I was hungry again.

I must admit that I love "Brit Chick" novels, a not-so-guilty pleasure of mine. I just finished re-reading "Bridget Jones's Diary," the OG of the Brit Chick subgenre.

ks

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Thu Aug-14-03 07:32 AM

68. "have you noticed"
In response to Reply # 67

that there seems to be a huge glut of what I can only call modern day romance novels out there? I think that the Bridget Jones thing may be responsible.

I walk into bookstores and I see
Shopaholic Takes Manhattan
Confessions of Shopaholic
Shopaholic Ties the Knot
Sloppy Firsts
Second Helping

It's scary. It's like all of a sudden suburban women have become a huge buying market. This reminds me of Harlequin Romances, which were hugely popular when I was a kid.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

GROOVEPHI
Charter member
10630 posts
Thu Aug-14-03 07:46 AM

69. "hey, im tired of these"
In response to Reply # 68

damn african american 'romance' novels..stuff like the sex chronicles, and all them other novels with the four black women on the front, written by a sister or a gay black man. its ridiculous. i was in borders a while back and they had a new book by zane entitled, APF: alpha phi fuckem, about some sorority, with character names like big sister deep throats, etc, etc,..where are the young authors like james baldwin and zora neale hurston?

kurlyswirl
16693 posts
Thu Aug-14-03 07:59 AM

71. "RE: hey, im tired of these"
In response to Reply # 69

>damn african american 'romance' novels..stuff like the sex
>chronicles, and all them other novels with the four black
>women on the front, written by a sister or a gay black man.
>its ridiculous.

I hear ya!

>where are the young authors like james
>baldwin and zora neale hurston?

They are few and far between, unfortunately. I think the reason there are so many fluffy African-American books out right now is because they've been proven to sell. It's kinda like all those romantic comedies that star the same 8-10 black actors and the soundtrack is usually better than the movie! In fact, I'm surprised the books don't come with a soundtrack CD attached, LOL! ks

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Thu Aug-14-03 08:07 AM

74. "Good or great contemporary black novelists"
In response to Reply # 71

Not a comprehensive list, but in my library I find:

David Haynes
Jake Lamar
Ernest Gaines (Is he still alive? I think so)
John Edgar Wideman
Stanley Crouch (yes, he wrote a novel)
Bayo Ojikuto
Albert French
Walter Mosely
Bil Wright

and, of course,

Colson Whitehead.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

GROOVEPHI
Charter member
10630 posts
Thu Aug-14-03 08:13 AM

75. "RE: Good or great contemporary black novelists"
In response to Reply # 74

>Not a comprehensive list, but in my library I find:
>
>David Haynes
>Jake Lamar
>Ernest Gaines (Is he still alive? I think so)
>John Edgar Wideman
>Stanley Crouch (yes, he wrote a novel)
>Bayo Ojikuto
>Albert French
>Walter Mosely
>Bil Wright
>
>and, of course,
>
>Colson Whitehead.

im familiar with mosely and gaines..u gotta school me on the rest of them

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Thu Aug-14-03 08:32 AM

78. "You don't know Colson Whitehead?"
In response to Reply # 75

His first book, The Intuitionist, was my favorite book the year it was published (1999? maybe). He has a second novel out and in paperback now, called John Henry Days. I think he's a wonderful writer and I think he's going to leave a real mark.

John Edgar Wideman is an older and more established writer, who by the way wrote the introduction to Mumia's Live From Death Row. My favorite of his is Philadelphia Fire, which is a fictionalized look at the M.O.V.E. incident in Philadelphia, but he has also edited collections of African American writers, and those, too, might be a place to start.

Bayo Ojikuto (47th Street Black) and Bil Wright (Sundays You Learn To Box) are just starting out. I think each one only has one novel, both of which are coming of age novels, each very different. Actually, that reminds me of another one, Leaving, written by Richard Dry -- the story of three generations in Oakland. So you have your choice of locations.

Albert French isn't for everyone, but he's worth dipping into just to see whether you like him. I'm a big fan of his book Patches of Fire, which tells about his experiences serving in the military in Vietnam (I'm a Vietnam War Lit junkie) as well as his experiences trying to make it on his own and write/publish after he was discharged.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

GROOVEPHI
Charter member
10630 posts
Thu Aug-14-03 08:44 AM

80. "RE: You don't know Colson Whitehead?"
In response to Reply # 78

sorry, i dont..
i have all of mumia's books, but im not familiar with widemen either..philadelphia fire sounds like something i might be interested in.

kurlyswirl
16693 posts
Thu Aug-14-03 08:27 AM

77. "Thanks! *takes notes*"
In response to Reply # 74

I have read several of Mosley's books, but the rest of the names are unfamiliar to me. ks

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Thu Aug-14-03 08:34 AM

79. "If you don't know Ernest Gaines"
In response to Reply # 77

You owe it to yourself to go out IMMEDIATELY and buy A Gathering of Old Men. I also really love A Lesson Before Dying, but A Gathering of Old Men is, I think, his best.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

GROOVEPHI
Charter member
10630 posts
Thu Aug-14-03 08:44 AM

81. "RE: If you don't know Ernest Gaines"
In response to Reply # 79

i am familiar with ernest gaines though..

kurlyswirl
16693 posts
Thu Aug-14-03 08:58 AM

82. "I take that back..."
In response to Reply # 79

I do know who Gaines is, now that you mention A Lesson Before Dying. I saw the movie! Now, I've just got to go read his books.

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Thu Aug-14-03 08:01 AM

72. "I know what you mean"

I'm usually someone who says things like, "Oh, they're out there, it's just that bad money always drives good money into hiding," or "the select audience always has to search for good writers" or something.

But I was glancing at the Burgess 99 (a list Anthony Burgess made in 1984 of the 99 best novels published in English, in his opinion, of course, since 1939).

In 1952, the following books were published, all of which are on his list:

Ralph Ellison Invisible Man
Ernest Hemingway The Old Man and the Sea
Mary McCarthy The Groves of Academe
Flannery O'Connor Wise Blood

In 1962, his list includes:

James Baldwin Another Country
Aldous Huxley Island
Doris Lessing The Golden Notebook
Vladimir Nabokov Pale Fire

So I've been depressed lately about the state of writing. I can't imagine being alive in a year in which the next Invisible Man is published AND the next Old Man and the Sea is published, much less some of the others.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

GROOVEPHI
Charter member
10630 posts
Thu Aug-14-03 08:05 AM

73. "RE: I know what you mean"
In response to Reply # 72
Thu Aug-14-03 08:07 AM

i feel you...old man and the sea is another book i need to read. was assigned it in high school but wasnt really into literature back then..what a waste, i wish i could go back to ap english 11 and 12 sometimes.

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Thu Aug-14-03 08:14 AM

76. "Start with"
In response to Reply # 73

The Sun Also Rises.

I read that in my early twenties and was just completely swept away by it.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

KCPlayer21
Charter member
30076 posts
Thu Aug-14-03 09:26 AM

84. "I hear you...."

I usually go the bookstore and ask them where their black authors are, and not the "girlfriend" books either. Eric Jerome Dickey gets a pass though, cause at least his stuff is well written....

- Andy Mineo

johnny_domino
Charter member
17027 posts
Tue Aug-19-03 05:02 AM

102. "zadie smith and paul beatty"
Tue Aug-19-03 05:04 AM

they're the next generation of great black authors, imho.
Edit: Walter Mosley I like a lot too, he's good even if detective stories aren't necessarily your thing (but even better if they are).

kurlyswirl
16693 posts
Thu Aug-14-03 07:53 AM

70. "RE: have you noticed"
In response to Reply # 68

>that there seems to be a huge glut of what I can only call
>modern day romance novels out there?

Yes, although I think "single thirtysomething girl power" novels might be a more accurate description.

> I think that the
>Bridget Jones thing may be responsible.

Yes, Helen Fielding definitely started the Brit Chick novel phenomenon!

>
>I walk into bookstores and I see

>Confessions of Shopaholic

Ha! I actually have this one, lol! Haven't read it yet.

>
>It's scary. It's like all of a sudden suburban women have
>become a huge buying market.

Yeah, there are a lot of Bridget Jones clones out there and I haven't come across any that are as good. Helen Fielding's writing style is just so much better! But, I don't think the target market is so much suburban women as it is single, urban, twenty/thirtysomething women.

This reminds me of Harlequin
>Romances, which were hugely popular when I was a kid.

I know what you mean--my Grandma was really into those! Or, like those awful Danielle Steele books I read when I was in high school! *cringe* But, I do think these more modern versions are much less soap opera-y! ks

thebigfunk
Charter member
10468 posts
Thu Aug-14-03 03:56 PM

88. "Step by Step through Deleuze & Guattari"
In response to Reply # 0

Critical theory darlings Deleuze & Guattari have been at the top of all my lists lately... there is a real intensity to their work that is so lacking in most writing of any sort out there - fiction and non-fiction alike.

For those who have been wanting a challenging text that will give you lots of interesting concepts to impress your friends with (jk), D&G are the guys to read. They're very difficult... and yet not unapproachable. With some dedication, and an open mind, D&G's terms quickly become part of your everyday thought process... and that's a good thing. Go out and purchase the following: _Anti-Oedipus_, _A Thousand Plateaus_, _Kafka_... all by D&G. Also pick up Brian Massumi's _A User's Guide to Capitalism & Schizophrenia_, which will guide you through the the first two books on the list. Folks who like Henry Miller, Artaud, Beckett, Kafka, Proust, and a lot of other folks who've been hijacked at some point or another by psychoanalysis will really love D&G.

Step I: Anti-Oedipus Ch. 1: Build your own Desiring Machine
The first chapter of Anti-Oedipus is called "The Desiring Machines"... it's ultimately a complete reconstruction of the philosophy of desire, and how it interacts with the unconscious... if that's not enough, it provides the groundwork for tying this all into Capitalism. Don't necessarily try to understand it... just read it, highlight it, write in it, circle it... and go back and do it again.
You'll get to experiment with concepts with really cool names:
- The Body With Organs -
- Schizoanalysis -

Step II: A Thousand Plateaus
Although you should really just wander through this text, choosing your own path... the introduction "Rhizome" and the essay "How do you make yourself a body without organs?" are really good ways to make sense out of the first chapter of _Anti-Oedipus_.

Step III: Brian Massumi's guidebook
Massumi's text is a really great book just on its own two feet... because it takes the practical side of D&G - the experimentation - and puts it to work. Massumi's text is a bastard child of D&G. A really fantastic one at that. But it also explains of a lot of what D&G are doing in their work. It's not too difficult either, I don't think.

Step IV: Wrap it up.
Just take your time and work through the rest of the above works, and also attack _Kafka_ (with a collection of his short stories in hand). Their treatment of Kafka is highly original, and very refreshing. The fact is, D&G's texts are to be read in a rather schizophrenic fashion... not as a straight line, but as it works for you. The concepts are to be tools for you to use, as you see fit. D&G liken their work in _A Thousand Plateaus_ to a record... you can drop the needle where ever you like, and even in the middle of a piece, move to another.

I really do think that the above works are some of the most important gifts of the 20th century... and that D&G are both two of the most genuine thinkers in postmodern theory/philosophy. Their contributions to homosexuality, feminism, aesthetics, philosophy, literary theory, and just about every field otherwise are simply astounding...

Besides, they're pretty damn quotable.

-thebigfunk

Dave Carter
August 13, 1952 - July 19, 2002

"A schizophrenic out for a walk is a better model than a neurotic lying on the analyst's couch." - Deleuze & Guattari, _Anti-Oedipus_

Playlist:
Donnie - The Colored Section
The New Pornographers - Electric Version/Mass Romantic
Radiohead - Hail To The Thief
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Tin Hat Trio - Memory Is An Elephant

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

native_son
Charter member
776 posts
Fri Aug-15-03 06:54 AM

90. "RE: Step by Step through Deleuze & Guattari"
In response to Reply # 88

I have been reading their interlocuters for years, even have a dusty copy of Anti-Oed on my shelf. A few months ago I read an introduction to schizoanalysis by Eugene Holland which prompted me to retry Anti-Oedipus itself. In addtition I am rereading Hegemony and Socialist Strategy by Laclau and Mouffe, a deconstructionist reworking of the Marxist concept of Hegemony.

native son

pheyeRcrckR720
Member since Aug 23rd 2002
120 posts
Thu Aug-14-03 04:45 PM

89. "RE: The Book Post"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Aug-14-03 04:50 PM

The last several books that I have or am currently reading are:

1)Zolar's Encyclopedia of Ancient and Forbidden Knowledge-F.Zolar
2)Narcissa(graphic novel)-Lance Tooks
3)Soul on Ice-Eldridge Cleaver
4)Afrekete:An Anthology of Black Lesbian Writers-McKinley/Delaney
5)Temple of My Familiar-Alice Walker

and I just started reading
6)The Color Purple-Alice Walker

al_sharp
Charter member
64140 posts
Fri Aug-15-03 07:20 PM

91. "al_sharp is reading 'The Wishbones' right now..."
In response to Reply # 0

...and enjoying it IMMENSELY.

It's written by Tom Perotta...who also wrote 'Election'.

"Men with purple hearts carry silver guns...and they will kill a man for what his father's done...but what my father did...you know it don't mean shit...I'm not him."
--Conor Oberst (Bright Eyes)

"Y'all wanna see a wino? Bring the wine out."
--Viktor Vaughn

Listen to my ish @ http://www.mp3.com/Al_Sharp

aim: cflartey

Illgaluminati...We'll be waiting...with a gun and a pack of sandwiches.

BAZOOKA TOOTH, BEEYOTCH!!!

http://charlesonlymusic.bandcamp.com
http://soundcloud.com/charlesonlymusic
http://theyesyesyalls.com
http://twitter.com/shamelessplug
http://instagram.com/charlesonly

B
Charter member
644 posts
Fri Aug-15-03 11:41 PM

92. "message #92 - impressive"
In response to Reply # 0

didn't know y'all cared so much about books over here in reviews. there's a monthly book discussion in activist ...note, not all books selected are "activitist/political," that just seemed like the best board to host. i'll remember to cross-post here so you're in the loop. this month's book is No Logo, by Naomi Klein. we try to do a fiction and non-fiction each month, if there's enough interest.

anyway, to answer the question, right now i'm reading some teaching books to prep for a program i run - African-Centered Pedagogy by Peter Murrell & Radical Equations by Robert Moses. fictionwise, i have Hunting in Harlem by Mat Johnson, but haven't had the time to crack it yet.

i hear another good novel to check is Spoken Words by Brian Peterson

B

=============================
buy my 2nd novel, Spoken Words

in stores: September
available online: Now (FREE shipping for a limited time)

www.chance22.com
=============================

--
now playing: The African American Student's Guide to Excellence in College
on deck: another installment of Okaybooks
archives: Spoken Words | Move Over Girl

www.chance22.com
www.lionsstory.org
www.okayplayer.com/books

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Mon Aug-18-03 08:26 AM

93. "I'm skurred"
In response to Reply # 92

to go to Activist any more. Those people are MEAN!

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

Freshness
Member since Feb 10th 2003
81 posts
Mon Aug-18-03 10:18 AM

94. "RE: The Book Post"
In response to Reply # 0

I am currently reading The Emporer of Ocean Park (so far so good).
I've recently finished Toure's The Portable Promised Land. Most of it was entertaining and interesting, some dragged.
Also, Happines by Will Ferguson. A great satire about our country's obsession with self help books, and what happens when the ultimate self help book is published. It was hilarious.

I also re-read Octavia Butler's Kindred.

------------------------------
My 12 yr. old brother's rotation:
1. Nelly, P.Diddy, & Murphy Lee - Shake Ya Tailfeather
2. Stagga Lee - Rollin With The MVP
3. Lumidee ft. Busta Rhymes & Fabolous - Uh Oh remix
4. Beyonce ft. Sean Paul - Baby Boy
5. Loon ft. Kelis - How You Want That
6. Jay Z - Excuse Me Miss Again
7. 50 Cent ft. Snoop Dogg - P.I.M.P. remix
8. Bone Crusher ft. Busta Rhymes, Camron (and maybe more people I don't care to listen for) - Never Scared remix
9. Sean Paul - Like Glue
10. Bubba Sparxx - Deliverance
11. Da Band - Why (He is obsessed with MTB 2 especially Chopper)

One day we'll all be rap stars!

I lurk, I don't need a sig.

keithdawg
Charter member
5593 posts
Mon Aug-18-03 06:16 PM

95. "Tom Robbins-Jitterbug Perfume ..."
In response to Reply # 0

I've never read a book of his that was short of amazing ... this book involves incense, sex, longevity, religion, mortality, goat-horned gods and jesus christ, existentialism, nihilism and underground waitress unions, and combines these elements seemlessly.

"Terror the product ya' push,
I'm a truth addict, Oh shit I got a head rush,
The sheep tremble and here come the votes,
Thrown from the throat, new cages and scapegoats,
One caution the mic's a detonator unwound to shutdown the devil sound,
Check the heads bow in vietnow,
Is all the world jails and churches?"--Zack De La Rocha

"We'll go to Miami,
Take Old Friends and family,
We'll stay out and party,
Does Will Smith lie?
Does he ever break down and cry?-Super Furry Animals

"If life is prison, then music is the yardtime"--Gift of Gab

"I'm tryin' to read your poetry but I'm helpless like a rich man's child"--Bob Dylan

Do yourself a favor,
Be your own savior.

Daniel Johnston

okaycomputer
Member since Dec 02nd 2002
8090 posts
Mon Aug-18-03 09:06 PM

96. "Jack Kerouac - On the Road"
In response to Reply # 0

only about 75 pages in, but i love it so far.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I'm finding truth is a ruin
Nauseous end that nobody is pursuing
Staring into glassy eyes
Mesmerized
There's a vintage thirst returning
But I'm shattered by my channel surfing
Every famine virtual
Retrovertigo

...mike patton...

teapoetess
Charter member
20852 posts
Tue Aug-19-03 04:02 AM

97. "glyph - percival everett"
In response to Reply # 0

interesting read. quick read, but only quick because i didn't understand a lot of it and the "satire" it was so lauded for pretty much went over my head. so i read it for narrative flow (which was minimal, actually) and managed to enjoy it even though it made me question my intellect... again.

i'm about to crack open "leaving katya" by paul greenberg. this should be interesting.

http://postbourgie.com
http://stacialbrown.wordpress.com

johnny_domino
Charter member
17027 posts
Tue Aug-19-03 04:19 AM

98. "see the sig"
In response to Reply # 0

n/m

spoons
Charter member
1743 posts
Tue Aug-19-03 07:01 AM

104. "RE: see the sig"
In response to Reply # 98

jerry stahl--permanent midnight, or plainclothes naked

ego trip big book of racism

(currently) solomon jones--pipe dreams

"If you stay ready, you ain't got to get ready." -Suga Free

Tank
Charter member
4903 posts
Tue Aug-19-03 07:39 AM

105. "RE: The Book Post"
In response to Reply # 0

Just finished The Handmaid's Tale (again, it was our book club selection) and I love it.

I think I shall read The Devil At Large by Jong next since I am on a Jong kick right now...

---
"It's easy to blur the truth with a simple linguistic trick: start your story from "Secondly."" -- Mourid Barghouti

Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #7829 Previous topic | Next topic