Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #67257

Subject: "The Fifth Annual Spilled Latte Awards Ceremony!" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Thu Feb-23-12 10:14 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Fifth Annual Spilled Latte Awards Ceremony!"
Sun Feb-26-12 01:27 PM by Frank Longo

***** INTRO FILM *****

*CONTROL’s office from Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. Gary Oldman and John Hurt sit inside.*

Oldman: We need a host for the Lattes, Control.
Hurt: There’s a host, right at the top of PTP. And he’s been there for years.

*Gary Oldman makes a phone call*

Oldman: I need you to do something for me.

*Cut to a man in a tux with a scorpion on the back, looking out the window of a low-rent Koreatown apartment at night*

Longo: There’s a hundred thousand award ceremonies in this city. You give me a time and place, I give you a two hour window. Those two hours I’m yours. Whatever goes down I’m yours. Minute either side you’re on your own. One last thing. You won’t be able to reach me at this number again.

*We reveal Longo, driving through the city in the car from Drive, as Nightcall plays. Suddenly, the music slows down to a halt, as does the car. LONGO looks at the gasoline—empty.*

Longo: Gosling NEVER refills the tank.

*Longo grabs a hooded sweatshirt from the back and starts running through the street, a la Shame, with a tracking shot. He runs into a train station.*

Voice from off-screen: STOP!

*Longo looks back. Sacha Baron Cohen as the Station Inspector is chasing after him.*

Cohen: You’re hosting the Lattes, aren’t you?
Longo: Leave me alone!
Cohen: After him, Maximillian!

*Maximillian chases after him. Longo locks himself in a room.*

Voice from inside: Can I help you?

*It’s Stellan Skaarsgard in his torture room from Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.*

Longo: There’s just this dog after me.
Skaarsgard: Want me to take care of it?
Longo: Sure, I…
Skaarsgard: Cats are normally my specialty.
Longo: … no. I’m good. Is there a way out of here?

*Skaarsgard points up some creepy stairs.*

Longo: Thanks. Loved you in Mamma Mia.

*Cut to a shot of everyone waiting inside the ballroom where the Lattes are held. Actors, directors, and writers are waiting impatiently. Shea Whigham stands up.*

Whigham: He’s late! Let’s just start the show without a host.

*Michael Shannon from Take Shelter stands up.*

Shannon: He’ll be here.
Whigham: Like we’re gonna listen to you. You agreed to be in Kangaroo Jack.
Shannon: You think I’m crazy? *addresses the crowd in full blown crazy mode* Well, listen up! There’s a host coming like no one you’ve ever seen, and not a one of you is prepared for it!

*Backstage at the Lattes, Longo is looking frantically around. He sees Jean Dujardin from The Artist.*

Longo: Which way to the stage?

*Jean mouths a bunch of words in an animated and frantic manner.*

Longo: Can’t read lips. Help me out here.

*Jean frowns and mocks him in a silent mime-like fashion.*

Longo: I’m sorry I asked.

*Longo keeps running. Dujardin looks at the camera.*

Dujardin: What was his problem?

*Longo finally arrives backstage. He stands and takes a deep breath. A soft whispered narration occurs.*

Whisper voice: Brother. Do good to them. Keep us. Host us. To the end of time.

*Longo turns around to see Sean Penn literally whispering into his ear.*

Longo: Dude. Personal space.
Sean Penn: Sorry.
Longo: What was that?
Sean Penn: Thought it might be inspirational.
Longo: It’s weird. I think you got spit in my ear.
Sean Penn: Scarlett always liked it.
Longo: Can I go start the show now?

*Sean Penn backs away. Longo takes the stage.*

******** END INTRO FILM ***********

MC: Ladies and gentlemen, your host for the Fifth Annual Spilled Latte Awards… Frank Longo!

*Longo enters to huge applause, cut to shot of Elizabeth Olsen fainting.*

Longo: Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to the Fifth Annual Spilled Latte Awards. We had a huge awards ceremony with tons of fabulous guests produced by Zootown, but he was fired by the president of the Lattecademy for bragging on the Howard Stern Show about sleeping with the whole cast of Let's Stay Together. So we have a pared-down ceremony this year. Before we get started, let's take a moment to remember those we lost this year.

*Sarah McLachlan's I Will Remember You plays as we see slides of the following*

- Sidney Lumet
- Peter Falk
- a Green Lantern film sequel
- Bubba Smith
- Harry Morgan
- Cliff Robertson
- Jennifer Aniston's status as a bankable movie star
- Whitney Houston
- Elizabeth Taylor

*music and slideshow ends, as members of the audience inevitably scream and shout about Whitney Houston not being last in the slideshow*

Longo: The first category is Best Cinematography.

In 5th place, Adam Stone for Take Shelter!
In 4th place, Robert Richardson for Hugo!
In 3rd place, Sean Bobbitt for Shame!
In 2nd place, Newton Thomas Sigel for Drive!

And the winner of the Spilled Latte for Best Cinematography… Emmanuel Lubezki for Tree of Life!

*Lubezki thanks the Lattes for giving him an award before the dumbass Academy did, shouts out Demian Bichir*

Longo: Congratulations, Emmanuel. Next up, Best Original Score.

Tied for 5th place, Howard Shore for Hugo and Ludovic Bource for The Artist!
In 4th place, Alberto Iglesias for The Skin I Live In!
In 3rd place, Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross for The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo!
In 2nd place, The Chemical Brothers for Hanna!

And the winner of the Spilled Latte for Best Original Score... Cliff Martinez for Drive!

*Martinez thanks the Lattes for giving him an award when the Academy didn't even nominate him, shouts out Demian Bichir*

Longo: That's the first ever member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame to win a Spilled Latte Award! *mild applause for vaguely interesting trivia* Next out, to give the Screenplay awards, Hollywood's hottest comedy writer, Todd Phillips!

*Phillips comes out to Ferris Bueller music*

Phillips: Penis. *uproarious laughter from the audience* Gay. *uproarious laughter from the audience* Penis. *standing ovation with laughter from the audience* That's some sample dialogue from my new script, entitled Penis Gay Penis, which I just sold for 8 million dollars.

*the ghost of Paddy Chayefsky appears, tries to kill himself, can't because he's already dead, grabs a bottle of ghost whiskeys, and exits the stage*

And now, the Latte for Best Adapted Screenplay.

In 5th place, John Logan for Hugo!
In 4th place, Steven Zaillian and Aaron Sorkin for Moneyball!
In 3rd place, Steven Zaillian for The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo!
In 2nd place, Bridget O'Connor & Peter Straughan for Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy!

Penis. *huge laughs* And the winner of the Spilled Latte for Best Adapted Screenplay... Hossein Amini for Drive!

*Amini thanks the Lattes for giving him an award when the Academy didn't even nominate him, shouts out Asghar Farhadi*

Up next, Best Original Screenplay. I just produced an original screenplay, Project X, which will make more than its budget in its opening weekend.

*scream offstage from the ghost of Paddy Chayefsky*

Tied for 5th place, J.C. Chandor for Margin Call and Asghar Farhadi for A Separation!
In 4th place, Woody Allen for Midnight in Paris!
In 3rd place, Mike Mills for Beginners!
In 2nd place, Diablo Cody for Young Adult!

And the winner of the Spilled Latte for Best Original Screenplay... Jeff Nichols for Take Shelter!

*Nichols storms the stage, tosses middle fingers at the Oscars and the Spirit Awards, shouts out Michael Shannon and Demian Bichir*

Longo: Thank you, Todd. Please loan me some money. Next up, to present Best Supporting Actor and Actress, nominees from last year, from Winter's Bone, John Hawkes and Dale Dickey!

*Hawkes and Dickey come out to Marcy's Song from Martha Marcy May Marlene*

Dickey: Character actors have to show strength and versatility in order to continue getting work.
Hawkes: Last year, we both were Latte nominees for playing scary backwoods rednecks.
Dickey: This year, I had a role in True Blood playing a scary backwoods redneck.
Hawkes: I had a role in Martha Marcy May Marlene as a scary backwoods redneck.
*scattered applause*
Hawkes: These similarly versatile nominees did terrific work this year and received nominations as a result.

Dickey: Here is the award for Best Supporting Actress.

Tied for 5th place, Charlotte Gainsbourg for Melancholia and Kim Wayans for Pariah!
In 4th place, Jessica Chastain for Take Shelter!
In 3rd place, Octavia Spencer for The Help!
In 2nd place, Berenice Bejo for The Artist!

And the winner of the Spilled Latte for Best Supporting Actress... Melissa McCarthy for Bridesmaids!

*McCarthy takes the stage in a dress that Kelly Osbourne called "the most gorgeous dress of the evening", tear-filled speech about being beautiful no matter what your weight is, shouts out Demian Bichir*

Hawkes: Here is the award for Best Supporting Actor.

In 5th place, Brad Pitt for The Tree of Life!
In 4th place, Andy Serkis for Rise of the Planet of the Apes!
Tied for 2nd place, Nick Nolte for Warrior and Albert Brooks for Drive!

And the winner of the Spilled Latte for Best Supporting Actor... Christopher Plummer for Beginners!

*Plummer takes the stage, is enormously charming and British, makes joke about having never felt younger, everyone cries, shouts out Demian Bichir*

Longo: Thanks John and Dale, and good luck with your meth addictions. Here to present the awards for Best Actor and Actress, R. Kelly and Blue Ivy Carter!

*mistermaxx cheers wildly, Kelly Osbourne raves that Blue Ivy's dress is "the most gorgeous dress of the evening"*

R. Kelly: Thank you, Mr. Longo. Actors and actresses have to bring their best work every time they perform on camera, something I know all too well.
Blue Ivy: That's right, R. These talented individuals have worked hard their entire careers in hopes that their efforts will result in a Spilled Latte.
R. Kelly: They step in the name of Latte! *Kells and Blue share a banter chuckle*

Blue Ivy: Here's the Best Actress Latte.

Tied for 4th place, Elizabeth Olsen for Martha Marcy May Marlene and Tilda Swinton for We Need To Talk About Kevin!
Tied for 2nd place, Kirsten Dunst for Melancholia and Charlize Theron for Young Adult!

And the winner of the Spilled Latte for Best Actress... Rooney Mara for The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo!

*Mara takes the stage, Kelly Osbourne calls her dress "the most gorgeous dress of the evening," Mara doesn't thank anyone or shout out Demian Bichir, everyone boos her*

R. Kelly: Nice nipple piercings, girl. Now, Best Actor.

In 5th place, Jean Dujardin for The Artist!
In 4th place, Gary Oldman for Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy!
In 3rd place, Ryan Gosling for Drive!
In 2nd place, Michael Shannon for Take Shelter! *Shannon screams "Not again!" from his table*

And the winner of the Spilled Latte for Best Actor... Michael Fassbender for Shame!

*Fassbender takes the stage, doesn't make a single reference to his penis, everyone boos him*

Longo: Congratulations to Rooney and Michael. Moving right along, it is my personal pleasure to announce Best Director.

In 5th place, Tomas Alfredson for Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy!
In 4th place, Jeff Nichols for Take Shelter!
In 3rd place, Terrence Malick for The Tree of Life!
In 2nd place, Steve McQueen for Shame!

And the winner of the Spilled Latte for Best Director... Nicolas Winding Refn for Drive!

*Refn thanks the Lattes for giving him an award when the Academy didn't even nominate him, tells the world he's taking Dale Dickey home at the end of the night, massive applause*

Longo: Finally, to present the Best PIcture award, the man who gave the Spilled Latte its name, the one and only Orbit_Established!

*O_E takes the stage in what Kelly Osbourne calls "the most gorgeous dress of the evening"*

O_E: This year's nominees are some pussy shit, famz. No Warrior nomination, no win for Nick Nolte? Why for are you mad at some manly shit? Tree of Life was the worst fucking latte movie ever made. It was like watching a painting of someone watching paint dry dry. It made me spit out my sushi. Mang.

In 5th place, Hugo!
In 4th place, Tree of Life!
In 3rd place, Take Shelter!
In 2nd place, Shame!

And the winner of the Spilled Latte for Best Picture... no surprise, it's Drive. Mang.

*Demian Bichir accepts on behalf of Drive's producers*

Longo: Well, there you have it, Drive wins four Lattes, tying with The Wrestler and There Will Be Blood for the most Latte wins ever. I look forward to next year, when Quentin Tarantino inevitably receives five nominations for that slave movie! Good night!

*curtains close, credits run*

****** NOMINEES POST *******

Here are the nominees (a.k.a. the Top 5 votegetters) for the Fifth Annual Spilled Latte Awards. Note: some categories may have more than 5 nominees due to a tie in the amount of votes the nominees received. The results are in-- no need to vote on these-- and will be announced the night before the Oscars, in order to steal their shine.

After being mostly snubbed by the Academy, Drive leads the pack with seven nominations, tying with No Country For Old Men for the second highest number of noms for a single film in Spilled Lattes history. Surprisingly, the film with the second most nominations was Jeff Nichols' Take Shelter, garnering six total and boasting more nominations in the "major categories" than any other film.

The Tree of Life received four nominations, marking the first time in Spilled Lattes history that a Best Picture Academy Award nominee has failed to reach five Spilled Latte nominations. Shame, totally snubbed by the Academy, received four as well. Oscar favorites The Artist and Hugo settled for three apiece, tied with Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

Tilda Swinton, Charlize Theron, Diablo Cody, Ryan Gosling, Michael Shannon, Aaron Sorkin, Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross, and Robert Richardson each receive their second-ever nomination, but the rest of the categories are filled with a series of first-timers. Jeff Nichols and Steven Zaillian join the elite ranks of those collecting two nominations in the same year, with Zaillian the first ever to achieve it scoring two writing nominations.

For the first time in Spilled Lattes history, Roger Deakins failed to earn a nomination.

BEST PICTURE:
Drive
Hugo
Shame
Take Shelter
Tree of Life

BEST DIRECTOR:
Tomas Alfredson, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
Terrence Malick, Tree of Life
Steve McQueen, Shame
Jeff Nichols, Take Shelter
Nicolas Winding Refn, Drive

BEST ACTOR:
Jean Dujardin, The Artist
Michael Fassbender, Shame
Ryan Gosling, Drive
Gary Oldman, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
Michael Shannon, Take Shelter

BEST ACTRESS:
Kirsten Dunst, Melancholia
Rooney Mara, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
Elizabeth Olsen, Martha Marcy May Marlene
Tilda Swinton, We Need To Talk About Kevin
Charlize Theron, Young Adult

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR:
Albert Brooks, Drive
Nick Nolte, Warrior
Brad Pitt, Tree of Life
Christopher Plummer, Beginners
Andy Serkis, Rise of the Planet of the Apes

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS:
Berenice Bejo, The Artist
Jessica Chastain, Take Shelter
Charlotte Gainsbourg, Melancholia
Melissa McCarthy, Bridesmaids
Octavia Spencer, The Help
Kim Wayans, Pariah

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY:
Hossein Amini, Drive
John Logan, Hugo
Bridget O'Connor & Peter Straughan, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
Steven Zaillian, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
Steven Zaillian and Aaron Sorkin, Moneyball

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY:
Woody Allen, Midnight in Paris
J.C. Chandor, Margin Call
Diablo Cody, Young Adult
Asghar Farhadi, A Separation
Mike Mills, Beginners
Jeff Nichols, Take Shelter

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY:
Sean Bobbitt, Shame
Emmanuel Lubezki, Tree of Life
Robert Richardson, Hugo
Newton Thomas Sigel, Drive
Adam Stone, Take Shelter

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE:
Ludovic Bource, The Artist
The Chemical Brothers, Hanna
Alberto Iglesias, The Skin I Live In
Cliff Martinez, Drive
Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
Howard Shore, Hugo

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Michael Fassbender's penis got shafted
Feb 23rd 2012
yea GINGER CAWK should have *SO* gotten in
Feb 23rd 2012
LOL
Feb 24th 2012
Was in the process of filling my ballot out when the post locked
Feb 24th 2012
If it makes you feel better...
Feb 24th 2012
      Figured that was the case but felt bad I didn't make the deadline
Feb 25th 2012
thanks.
Feb 24th 2012
good idea
Feb 24th 2012
it's funny how bad these keep ending up being
Feb 24th 2012
I actually think these are our best yet.
Feb 24th 2012
RE: I actually think these are our best yet.
Feb 28th 2012
      yeah, in retrospect, i guess it wasn't that bad
Feb 29th 2012
           Usually, this is out of a movie's control.
Feb 29th 2012
                RE: Usually, this is out of a movie's control.
Feb 29th 2012
"Hold up, let me park my shit!!!"
Feb 25th 2012
another late release problem
Feb 25th 2012
i just think pushing the date back would've helped a great deal
Feb 26th 2012
good results, everything considered.
Feb 26th 2012
there's just no way crystal or the oscars tops this
Feb 26th 2012
Longo did it again!
Feb 26th 2012
Fantastic. And Bert Belasco is delicious.
Feb 26th 2012
Best awards show of the year
Feb 28th 2012
I was hoping for a reference to Ann Smiley
Mar 01st 2012

Wordman
Member since Apr 11th 2003
11224 posts
Thu Feb-23-12 03:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Michael Fassbender's penis got shafted"
In response to Reply # 0

should've got that supporting latte.

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Thu Feb-23-12 03:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "yea GINGER CAWK should have *SO* gotten in"
In response to Reply # 1

for all that NC-17 esque bangin it did in SHAME...

it's a travesty to the highest degree.

Get Out the Room
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Some of y'all need this in your life: http://www.psychology.com

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Fri Feb-24-12 12:22 AM

3. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 1

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Fri Feb-24-12 02:54 PM

4. "Was in the process of filling my ballot out when the post locked"
In response to Reply # 0

Didn't feel like starting over & inboxing since it wasn't sure they would count at that point. That being said here's what I had that I can remember.

>BEST PICTURE:
>Drive
>Hugo

Saw em both but neither made my list

>Shame

I think I had this 3rd

>Take Shelter
>Tree of Life

Didn't get a chance to see either yet but looking forward to both

Martha Marcy May Marlene topped my list with Tinker Talior Soldier Spy second

>BEST DIRECTOR:

>Tomas Alfredson, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
>Steve McQueen, Shame

Had Sean Durkin 1st these two 2nd & 3rd. Fincher made the cut somewhere as well

>BEST ACTOR:

>Michael Fassbender, Shame
>Gary Oldman, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Had these two in that order with John Hawkes, Daniel Craig & John Boyega

>BEST ACTRESS:

>Rooney Mara, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
>Elizabeth Olsen, Martha Marcy May Marlene

Flipped these two with Felicity Jones third & can't recall who else

>Tilda Swinton, We Need To Talk About Kevin
>Charlize Theron, Young Adult

Need to see these but I don't know if Tilda's even came out here

>BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR:

>Andy Serkis, Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Topped my list & added these

Gos in Crazy Stupid Love
Ribisi in Rum Diary
Christopher Plummer in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Mark Strong in Tinker Talior Soilder Spy

>BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS:

>Berenice Bejo, The Artist
>Melissa McCarthy, Bridesmaids

Had these two with Jessica Chastain in The Debt

>BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY:

>Bridget O'Connor & Peter Straughan, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
>Steven Zaillian, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

Had these two but can't recall the others

>BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY:

Martha Marcy May Marlene made the list but can't recall the others

>BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY:

>Sean Bobbitt, Shame

Had this one with Super 8 & The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

>BEST ORIGINAL SCORE:

>Ludovic Bource, The Artist
>Cliff Martinez, Drive
>Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
>Howard Shore, Hugo

Had these with Shame

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Fri Feb-24-12 03:05 PM

5. "If it makes you feel better..."
In response to Reply # 4

... I think the ones you're saying you voted for that weren't nommed were far enough behind that it wouldn't have made a difference.

Martha MAY have made Best Pic if I went to ten noms and included your ballot. The five after the nominated ones were pretty impressive: I think A Separation, Bridesmaids, Tinker Tailor, Beginners... Dragon Tattoo?

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Sat Feb-25-12 02:23 AM

10. "Figured that was the case but felt bad I didn't make the deadline"
In response to Reply # 5

I was holding off trying to squeeze in Tree of Life, Take Shelter & a few others @ the last minute but got too busy

>... I think the ones you're saying you voted for that weren't
>nommed were far enough behind that it wouldn't have made a
>difference.
>
>Martha MAY have made Best Pic if I went to ten noms and
>included your ballot. The five after the nominated ones were
>pretty impressive: I think A Separation, Bridesmaids, Tinker
>Tailor, Beginners... Dragon Tattoo?

Kinda surprised Tinker didn't make the cut but that's about it

will_5198
Charter member
63107 posts
Fri Feb-24-12 03:24 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "thanks."
In response to Reply # 0

I wish there were more ballots, but understand the reasons for the low number. less people are going to the movies, less theaters were showing the good stuff, and the release schedule was back-loaded.

look at December:

Shame
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol
A Separation (February in most cities)
We Need to Talk About Kevin (March in most cities)
Young Adult
The Adventures of Tintin
Pariah

that onslaught forced short runs for November movies, and there were a lot of those as well (The Artist, The Muppets, Melancholia, Hugo, My Week with Marilyn, A Dangerous Method). worse still, even if you *wanted* to see a movie like Attack the Block in theaters, there was a likely chance it wouldn't be showing (Shame, Take Shelter, Attack the Block, The Trip and Certified Copy hit less than 100 theaters...that's anemic compared to even Winter's Bone or Blue Valentine from 2010).

additionally, tons of "award type" movies weren't released to DVD/Blu Ray until January or February, including Drive, Take Shelter, 50/50, Margin Call, Ides of March and Moneyball. Midnight in Paris opened at the start of summer and didn't hit Blu Ray until Christmas. Martha Marcy May Marlene, Hugo and all the November stuff still hasn't hit home release. and unless you're a cinephile, the typical voter would rent most of those aforementioned movies from RedBox but not pay $12 to see.

that said, a suggestion for next time:

I think listing the categories as separate posts under the main thread (a la the FYC thread) would encourage more voting. perhaps someone has five or six categories locked in, but are deciding about one or two -- they could go ahead and post the others without worrying about a recount edit. and it would encourage people to vote on just one category if that's all they felt strongly about.

--------

theprofessional
Charter member
8761 posts
Fri Feb-24-12 09:37 PM

7. "good idea"
In response to Reply # 6

>I think listing the categories as separate posts under the
>main thread (a la the FYC thread) would encourage more voting.
>perhaps someone has five or six categories locked in, but are
>deciding about one or two -- they could go ahead and post the
>others without worrying about a recount edit. and it would
>encourage people to vote on just one category if that's all
>they felt strongly about.

"i smack clowns with nouns, punch herbs with verbs..."

theprofessional
Charter member
8761 posts
Fri Feb-24-12 10:02 PM

8. "it's funny how bad these keep ending up being"
In response to Reply # 0

i remember last year's spilled latte noms were way worse than the oscars list. it's always like we add two or three names to each category that are great choices, but in the process subtract two or three names that HAVE to be there. the artist overlooked for best picture AND best director? come on. meryl streep snubbed for iron lady? stop.

the only real improvements here are that we recognized drive and take shelter. that's about it. oh, and shame (though the best picture nom is a bit overboard). our best actor noms are far and away superior to the oscars. not even close. so we should pat ourselves on the back there. but we basically gave it all back by snubbing streep and glenn close in the actress category. and our best pic list is extremely shaky. everything else is a wash. i can see a scenario where our winners could end up being better than the oscars, perhaps significantly so (if they decide to go the hugo/clooney/davis route, while we go drive/fassbender/mara). but as far as the noms go, advantage academy. we lose again.

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Fri Feb-24-12 10:58 PM

9. "I actually think these are our best yet."
In response to Reply # 8

I think our five Best Pic noms are certainly more daring than the Academy's, and even with the films I disagree about (Shame, Tree of Life), I'm happier they are there than safer Oscar-bait like The Help or The Descendants.

Also, no Streep and Close should be obvious considering those movies didn't really go wide until February. It's the same reason I can't be too upset about no screenplay or cinematography nom for We Need To Talk About Kevin-- they just come along too late for a screener-less voting body.

blue23
Charter member
8341 posts
Tue Feb-28-12 09:00 AM

19. "RE: I actually think these are our best yet."
In response to Reply # 9

Co-sign. I think this is a much better representation of the best work being done in film this year than either the Golden Globes or Oscars - both of which were particularly bad this year. Borderline disgraceful in my opinion. I'm happy to have participated. Personally I could give a shit less about The Artist or Meryl Streep miming Margaret Thatcher. But that's me.

theprofessional
Charter member
8761 posts
Wed Feb-29-12 01:06 AM

20. "yeah, in retrospect, i guess it wasn't that bad"
In response to Reply # 19

my main complaint with the lattes is that they're too indie. take shelter and shame made a combined $5 million at the box office, tree of life made $13 million and its audience demanded 89% of it back, hugo did an extremely modest (for a 3-D film) $69 mil and happened to not be that good, and then there's drive, which made a respectable $35 mil and mercifully won. i think the academy is having the same problem, but from the opposite side. we're too young and cynical, they're too old and sappy. a film like ELIC has no chance with us, drive never had a chance with them.

and i reiterate my belief from two years ago, during the avatar/hurt locker wars, that no film that made less than $40 million (i might push that down to 30 today) should be seriously considered for best picture. if it can't find an audience beyond a small niche group, then it just didn't resonate enough overall to be considered the best movie made that year. i don't know. then again, i had margin call ($5 mil) in my top three, so... it's an inexact science. we probably did as well overall as they did, certainly with picking the winners. at the end of the day, i guess there's no point complaining that an award called the spilled lattes is too snobby.

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Wed Feb-29-12 07:56 AM

21. "Usually, this is out of a movie's control."
In response to Reply # 20

>and i reiterate my belief from two years ago, during the
>avatar/hurt locker wars, that no film that made less than $40
>million (i might push that down to 30 today) should be
>seriously considered for best picture. if it can't find an
>audience beyond a small niche group, then it just didn't
>resonate enough overall to be considered the best movie made
>that year.

Things like distribution and marketing often affect a movie drastically. Not just indies-- I'd point to Warrior this year, which was a terrific and very mainstream film with horrible marketing (a poster with hot shirtless guys! another shitty movie about fighting!) and a shitty distribution (1800 theaters, followed by a quick pull from cineplexes).

i don't know. then again, i had margin call ($5
>mil) in my top three, so... it's an inexact science.

Another movie that with better distribution and (ANY) marketing makes closer to 20-25 mil. It's also had with a movie like Margin Call to determine how much money they made via VOD.

Many movies don't get a chance to make their money at the BO, because studios don't make their money at the BO-- they make their money on DVD sales, which Oscars help tremendously. Movies like Tinker Tailor, Beginners, Tree of Life, Shame, Take Shelter, My Week With Marilyn, Jane Eyre... they were never released into 1000 theaters. Take Shelter at its high point was in 91 theaters at once, Shame 95, Beginners 170. You're telling me Beginners can't have done at least 20 mil if given a Garden State style release? The producers just aren't interested in that though.

Which does affect an audience's ability to see a film. But with movies getting more expensive to attend, more expensive to market, and more expensive to distribute, the studios would rather go for critical acclaim and developing a DVD audience than making a big push and hoping for another 15-20 mil at the box office, most of which it would cost just to market/distribute.

Further use of VOD and further release of the numbers a movie makes via VOD very well may help indies get seen more in the coming Oscar seasons. I think a big reason why Margin Call got that nom was its VOD release, which got it more widely seen than something like Take Shelter or Martha Marcy May Marlene.

blue23
Charter member
8341 posts
Wed Feb-29-12 11:43 AM

22. "RE: Usually, this is out of a movie's control."
In response to Reply # 21

All valid points. And I think using box office receipts are like SAT scores = they only tell you so much. There are so many factors that make a movie/person successful that can't be reflected in that number alone.

Wordman
11224 posts
Sat Feb-25-12 11:40 AM

11. ""Hold up, let me park my shit!!!""
In response to Reply # 8

I ain't got the numbers in front of me, that's Frank Longo's job (whose reply I've yet to read), but I'm pleased with this year's lattes.
There was a wide range of films discussed, in pretty much every genre.
Films whose major releases were weak (TAKE SHELTER, MELANCHOLIA, A DANGEROUS METHOD) were not only recognized by the PTP community, but heavily debated. There wasn't one film (INCEPTION, THERE WILL BE BLOOD) that everybody clinged to; which you could argue is because either: there wasn't one worth clinging to, or because cats made up their own minds (I want to believe the latter).
This was definitely a weak year for film, and Frank Longo's pick for best film may be wrong (JOKES!), but I'm pleased with the Lattes this year.

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams

will_5198
Charter member
63107 posts
Sat Feb-25-12 02:05 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "another late release problem"
In response to Reply # 8

>but we basically gave
>it all back by snubbing streep and glenn close in the actress
>category.

The Iron Lady hit all of four nationwide theaters on December 30, and I don't have much interest in biopics. it's a rental to me, and just badly timed for our purposes (had it come out it May, I'd have probably seen it by now).

Albert Nobbs was also released only three weeks before the Lattes closed, and at that point I was already trying to squeeze in viewings of Take Shelter and A Separation.

--------

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Sun Feb-26-12 01:45 PM

13. "i just think pushing the date back would've helped a great deal"
In response to Reply # 0

yes even more than Longo pushed it back.

i know the idea is to see us as opposed/compared to the oscars, but as someone posted above, all the critical award-bait films had very short runs in theatres, all dropped around the same time, or had late DVD releases. i mean, literally held out for the week Take Shelter dropped in Red Box

will_5198
Charter member
63107 posts
Sun Feb-26-12 02:40 PM

14. "good results, everything considered."
In response to Reply # 0

I believe Drive is the one movie PTPers saw this year and had an opinion about, good or bad. so that's reflected. and I'm glad my other favorites were winners in some capacity.

--------

theprofessional
Charter member
8761 posts
Sun Feb-26-12 04:02 PM

15. "there's just no way crystal or the oscars tops this"
In response to Reply # 0

another fantastic show by longo. and as bad as our nominees list was, we ended up with maybe the best list of winners i've seen this season. drive, refn, fassbender, mara, a screenplay award for take shelter-- there's no way the academy tops this. well done, PTP.

Wordman
11224 posts
Sun Feb-26-12 04:28 PM

16. "Longo did it again!"
In response to Reply # 0

Great ceremony.
Thanks to you I'll never forget the name Demian Bichir.

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Sun Feb-26-12 06:19 PM

17. "Fantastic. And Bert Belasco is delicious."
In response to Reply # 0

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Tue Feb-28-12 01:43 AM

18. "Best awards show of the year"
In response to Reply # 0

If Seth Rogen is getting so much love for his Indie Spirit Monologue, I can't imagine the kudos you'd be getting for this one.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

Sponge
Charter member
6674 posts
Thu Mar-01-12 07:24 PM

23. "I was hoping for a reference to Ann Smiley"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #67257 Previous topic | Next topic