Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #66100

Subject: "My 2007 Top 10 = Come tell me why I'm wrong" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
blue23
Charter member
8341 posts
Tue Jan-08-08 12:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"My 2007 Top 10 = Come tell me why I'm wrong"

http://nerve.com/CS/blogs/screengrab/archive/2008/01/07/top-10-of-2007-bryan-whitefield.aspx

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Because you forgot There Will Be Blood, for starters
Jan 08th 2008
RE: Because you forgot There Will Be Blood, for starters
Jan 08th 2008
      You're almost as bad as most Academy members.
Jan 08th 2008
Technically, The Lives of Others was 2006
Jan 08th 2008
RE: Technically, The Lives of Others was 2006
Jan 08th 2008
Wanna make this a "Post Your Top 10 Flicks of 2007" post?
Jan 08th 2008
RE: Wanna make this a "Post Your Top 10 Flicks of 2007" post?
Jan 08th 2008
      Nah... it's cool. I'll make a different one later.
Jan 08th 2008
I cant get to that site here at work. Can you post em?
Jan 08th 2008
Swipe
Jan 08th 2008
      RE: Swipe
Jan 08th 2008
      Missed Michael Clayton regrettably...
Jan 08th 2008
           Gonna assume you missed The Assassination of Jesse James?
Jan 08th 2008
                And Fred Claus?
Jan 08th 2008
                RE: Gonna assume you missed The Assassination of Jesse James?
Jan 09th 2008
                     That movie came and went in a span of 2 weeks.
Jan 09th 2008
                          I don't really know what happened with Jesse James
Jan 09th 2008
      I'm Not There
Jan 08th 2008

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Tue Jan-08-08 12:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Because you forgot There Will Be Blood, for starters"
In response to Reply # 0

blue23
Charter member
8341 posts
Tue Jan-08-08 01:31 PM

4. "RE: Because you forgot There Will Be Blood, for starters"
In response to Reply # 1

Didn't get to see it before the deadline. Good chance it would have made the list...

biscuit
Charter member
8682 posts
Tue Jan-08-08 06:32 PM

14. "You're almost as bad as most Academy members."
In response to Reply # 4
Tue Jan-08-08 06:33 PM by biscuit

How can you make a list that's incomplete?

Oh, nevermind. I do it all the time.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

*Effasig*

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Tue Jan-08-08 01:06 PM

2. "Technically, The Lives of Others was 2006"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jan-08-08 01:07 PM by SoulHonky

And on a personal taste level, I thought The Darjeeling Limited wasn't very good and I wouldn't put Knocked up in their either. To say Knocked Up was "actually about real people" is odd. I know what you're saying but the characters in that film were cartoonish and the relationships rang false to me.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

blue23
Charter member
8341 posts
Tue Jan-08-08 01:33 PM

5. "RE: Technically, The Lives of Others was 2006"
In response to Reply # 2

But Lives of Others got it's US release in 2007 so technically it counted. It's on most year end lists.

Knocked Up = the only choice I questioned. I could have even gone with Hot Fuzz just for pure laughs but I thought the writing in Knocked Up gave it an edge.

BTW

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Tue Jan-08-08 01:10 PM

3. "Wanna make this a "Post Your Top 10 Flicks of 2007" post?"
In response to Reply # 0

blue23
Charter member
8341 posts
Tue Jan-08-08 01:33 PM

6. "RE: Wanna make this a "Post Your Top 10 Flicks of 2007" post?"
In response to Reply # 3

Fair enough. Should I edit the title?

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Tue Jan-08-08 01:42 PM

7. "Nah... it's cool. I'll make a different one later."
In response to Reply # 6

I feel like once There Will Be Blood and The Diving Bell and the Butterfly go nationwide, that will alter many people's lists... and I don't wanna jump the gun. So do ya thang.

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Tue Jan-08-08 02:11 PM

8. "I cant get to that site here at work. Can you post em?"
In response to Reply # 0

blue23
Charter member
8341 posts
Tue Jan-08-08 02:25 PM

9. "Swipe"
In response to Reply # 8

Best of 2007 – Bryan Whitefield
While this was an undeniably good year for film it was also a year in which smaller movies had a much harder time getting attention or even in movie theaters at all. With big name directors like Ang Lee, Sidney Lumet and Francis Ford Coppola clogging up art house screens there was less and less room this year for new names and faces. In fact three movies (Reprise, Lost in Beijing and Never Forever) which played at various festivals throughout the year would have certainly made this list but were excluded only because they never got US distribution, meaning only a handful of people were lucky enough to see them. That said, as a film lover it’s hard to complain about a year that gave us such an extremely high level of quality and creativity in such variety.

1. No Country For Old Men – Near perfection in every sense and far and away the best film I saw this year. The Coen Brothers cut down on the camera tricks and let the forward momentum of a chase thriller carry the difficult adaptation of a novel with almost zero description and in the process made what may very well be the best film of their heavyweight careers. The brothers also moved outside of their usual casting circles and used Josh Brolin and Tommy Lee Jones to great effect. But it is Javier Bardem’s utterly creepy incarnation of Anton Chigurh that left a stamp on people’s psyche and will haunt their memories for years to come.
2. The Diving Bell and The Butterfly – It took someone with an imagination as big as Julian Schnabel to envision great cinema from a book written by a man who could only blink one eyelid. From start to finish this is a celebration of art, film and life itself and the answers Schnabel found to the challenges of presenting this story make it a notable and lasting achievement.
3. Gone Baby Gone – Probably the year’s biggest surprise for me was going into a movie directed by Ben Affleck with a whole lot of preconception and coming out blown away by the sure-handed guidance he showed in his directorial debut. There are good, even great performances and top tier writing but in the end the film’s real strength lies in the decisions made every step of the way in how to present this material. For my money this was a step above both The Departed and Mystic River because almost nothing here is easy or done for show and the questions it forces you to ask yourself lead to complex, blurry and ambiguous emotional ground.
4. The Lives of Others – Overall quality is what continues to set this film apart from the field in my mind. An airtight script, informed performances detail-heavy production design and measured yet artful filmmaking that was able to explore the most serious of political ideas while thankfully sidestepping a Spielberg-style, right-vs-wrong, happy ending in favor of a much subtler conclusion.
5. I’m Not There – Blew the biopic model to pieces and was without question the most original and inventive film I saw this year. The much discussed six actors play one singer concept is interesting even as an idea but on screen it is often breathtaking to see the genius level of insight and imagination Todd Haynes exhibits in moving from one to the other in building this composite picture of a man so well known and yet still very much a mystery. The pure pleasure of watching very talented actors set free from the constriction of straight imitation as well as Haynes’ mastery of so many different looks and styles of filmmaking should not be underestimated either.
6. Zodiac - Attention to detail was overseen with an expert’s eye and director David Fincher even held back on some of the camera magic that made him famous in favor of a more mature, straight-forward presentation that fit the tone of the film perfectly. Mark Ruffalo and Robert Downey Jr. were clearly at the top of their game and while the movie did run long at 3 hours with a story arc that went too high, too soon the amount of thought and craft behind this film made it one that should continue to hold up in what is generally a disposable and easily dated genre.
7. The Darjeeling Limited – People level the same criticism at Wes Anderson every time one of his films is released – they all look the same. And while there is no denying that he has a signature style I think it is also fair to say that he is constantly working to perfect it. While he may never again reach the classic status achieved with The Royal Tenanbaums or Rushmore, this is certainly a major upgrade over The Life Aquatic and while it is stylish and funny and a pleasure to watch it is also infused with some real emotional depth with writing and performances that go well beyond montages set to obscure 60’s rock songs. The accompanying short The Hotel Chevalier is Anderson in a capsule and a near perfect vignette.
8. The Boss of it All - Lars Von Trier veered off the road of emotional devastation straight into a comedy that was the first feature to employ Automavision, a software program that chooses the film’s shots and framing at random. The technique is initially jarring but makes the story of a spineless executive who has been blaming the company’s direction on an invisible “boss” and now, wishing to sell the company for his own profit, has hired a clueless actor to pose as said boss so that he can cash out guilt-free, even funnier. Von Trier is actually able to infuse the film with a layer of depth and make a social, political and moral statement while still having his audience laughing throughout, even with jokes told in subtitles.
9. Manda Bala (Send A Bulet) – Errol Morris protégé Jason Kohn followed in the master’s footsteps in continuing to turn the documentary film format on its head. The beautifully constructed film, which cannot be shown in Brazil because it is considered too dangerous, moves at a rapid fire pace, contrasting the warm sunshine of Brazil and Brazilian music with talk of severe violence and circumstances including several intense, look-away scenes. Using first hand interviews, found footage and fictional reenactments that move from frog farms to political corruption, grisly kidnapping stories to reconstructive surgery footage Kohn showed a masterful management of the material especially in the way its visual and conceptual metaphors built to a grand crescendo.
10. Knocked Up – With so many jokey, costume driven, idiot time spoof comedies out there it was nice to finally see one that was both laugh out loud funny and actually about real people. Okay maybe it’s not every day that some unemployed, pot smoking schlub scores with a gorgeous tv host but ignoring that fact this film featured sharp, insightful writing about the absurdity of real situations that still had people cracking up without the use of any chest waxing gimmicks and to me that’s a step in the right direction and an achievement in itself.

Frank Mackey
Member since May 23rd 2006
2903 posts
Tue Jan-08-08 02:34 PM

10. "RE: Swipe"
In response to Reply # 9

Boo @ no Michael Clayton

jmo

blue23
Charter member
8341 posts
Tue Jan-08-08 04:51 PM

11. "Missed Michael Clayton regrettably..."
In response to Reply # 10

Hard to see everything.

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Tue Jan-08-08 05:07 PM

12. "Gonna assume you missed The Assassination of Jesse James?"
In response to Reply # 11

buckshot defunct
Member since May 02nd 2003
26345 posts
Tue Jan-08-08 07:13 PM

15. "And Fred Claus?"
In response to Reply # 12

-----------------------------
http://talestosuffice.com/
@kennykeil

blue23
Charter member
8341 posts
Wed Jan-09-08 09:05 AM

16. "RE: Gonna assume you missed The Assassination of Jesse James?"
In response to Reply # 12

I have to say yest to that too. I was trying to make it a priority to see it but it was only at a few theaters in NY and disappeared fairly quickly. That's the one big regret I have this year...

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Wed Jan-09-08 10:15 AM

17. "That movie came and went in a span of 2 weeks."
In response to Reply # 16

No one I know who wanted to see it got a chance to. The post on OKP on it didn't have too many replies either.

blue23
Charter member
8341 posts
Wed Jan-09-08 10:18 AM

18. "I don't really know what happened with Jesse James"
In response to Reply # 17

Poor marketing? Poor distribution handling? Why was that an arthouse movie with Brad Pitt and Casey Affleck starring? 3:10 To Yuma seemed like a much lesser film (didn't see that either) and did heavy numbers. But I guess that's much more action related with bigger stars. Still Jesse James seemed like it was just immediately dismissed.

Sponge
Charter member
6674 posts
Tue Jan-08-08 06:31 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "I'm Not There"
In response to Reply # 9

I guess that makes 2 of us that didn't hate it. While I didn't love it personally and don't think it's perfect or a masterpeice, I did admire it. Off the top of my head, I'd put it behind Zodiac, No Country.., Assassination of..., for '07 American flicks. (There Will Be Blood has opened here yet.)

Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #66100 Previous topic | Next topic