Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #6481

Subject: "i wanna make a movie." This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
ororo_munroe
Charter member
9356 posts
Mon Oct-13-03 08:18 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"i wanna make a movie."

a documentary. independently produced. i have never done anything like this before, but i really want this to happen.

being as this is "okaymoviebuffs" most of the time...anyone here actually make movies?

any books i should check about tips i should keep in mind or grants i should apply for? equipment i should use? etc. etc.

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
i'll try and make you a list
Oct 13th 2003
well that and another one too
Oct 13th 2003
you might want to check out...
Oct 13th 2003
i heard it's damn near unwatchable
Oct 13th 2003
its nothing great...
Oct 13th 2003
RE: i heard it's damn near unwatchable
Oct 16th 2003
is that the one by adam goldberg??
Oct 13th 2003
nah, that's Running with the Bulls
Oct 13th 2003
i just watched on on pbs called "roadtrip nation"q
Oct 13th 2003
I saw part of that.
Oct 14th 2003
      of course it was terrible.
Oct 14th 2003
that sucked
Oct 15th 2003
making a documentary
Oct 13th 2003
*kisses you on the cheek*
Oct 13th 2003
turning to catch lips
Oct 13th 2003
I told y'all
Oct 13th 2003
Here are some books
Oct 13th 2003
you rule.
Oct 13th 2003
Format?
Oct 13th 2003
or...
Oct 13th 2003
      Eh...
Oct 13th 2003
      RE: or...
Oct 14th 2003
      i have a Sony PD 150
Oct 14th 2003
           RE: i have a Sony PD 150
Oct 14th 2003
Oct 14th 2003
Oct 15th 2003
      those VMAs didn't look like film, though
Oct 14th 2003
      RE: or...
Oct 14th 2003
           thanks for the info, man
Oct 14th 2003
           dropping science like galileo dropped the orange
Oct 14th 2003
           Cineswitch, thank you
Oct 14th 2003
i wanna make one, too...
Oct 13th 2003
yeah, there's a local non-profit
Oct 14th 2003
      hmmm...
Oct 14th 2003
these might help
Oct 14th 2003
thanks! n'm
Oct 14th 2003
can anyone breakdown equipment?
Oct 14th 2003
you can rent cameras as well
Oct 15th 2003
i believe this should be archived.
Oct 17th 2003
and now it is
Oct 17th 2003

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Mon Oct-13-03 08:22 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "i'll try and make you a list"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Oct-13-03 08:25 AM

>any books i should check about tips i should keep in mind or
> grants i should apply for? equipment i should use? etc.
>etc.

luckily for you, it's a lot easier getting money for docs than for features

what's your film gonna be about, if i may ask (this is kinda pertinent to the kind of funding you get)

EDIT: oh... Radiohead, right?

in the meantime, pick up Independent Film and Videomaker magazine

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

ororo_munroe
Charter member
9356 posts
Mon Oct-13-03 08:43 AM

3. "well that and another one too"
In response to Reply # 1

about korean kids who are half black in korea.

thanks a million afkap.

okaycomputer
Member since Dec 02nd 2002
8090 posts
Mon Oct-13-03 08:41 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "you might want to check out..."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Oct-13-03 08:42 AM

One Big Trip

its a doc of these 4 kids who took a digital camera, a van, and a bunch of drugs accross the country. its sold as a cd/dvd at most record stores...i think its put out by heiro. But its pretty simple, pretty much the same thing you want to do (minus the concert/band focus). Its not a bad movie either and the soundtrack is very good.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FUCK 1918

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Mon Oct-13-03 08:45 AM

4. "i heard it's damn near unwatchable"
In response to Reply # 2

unless you're "inhaling"

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

okaycomputer
Member since Dec 02nd 2002
8090 posts
Mon Oct-13-03 08:52 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "its nothing great..."
In response to Reply # 4

i've only seen it once and i was 'inhaling'

a lot of stoned kids that have all the answers to the meaning of life and all that jazz.

but its a good example of how a bunch of kids who took a road trip, filmed it and are now turning a profit.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FUCK 1918

programmusic
Charter member
2696 posts
Thu Oct-16-03 04:22 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
38. "RE: i heard it's damn near unwatchable"
In response to Reply # 4

You saw some of it, remember? The kid harrasing the junkie with self-help cliches?

www.programmusic.net

Robert
Charter member
4117 posts
Mon Oct-13-03 08:55 AM

6. "is that the one by adam goldberg??"
In response to Reply # 2

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Mon Oct-13-03 09:13 AM

10. "nah, that's Running with the Bulls"
In response to Reply # 6

or something

ororo_munroe
Charter member
9356 posts
Mon Oct-13-03 09:02 AM

7. "i just watched on on pbs called "roadtrip nation"q"
In response to Reply # 2

where these four white college grads go across the country and interview different ceos and what not about how they chose their paths or some shit.

i was like, "um i could do that."

look like they had a sponsored rv and everything.

Illgamesh
Member since Jun 27th 2002
8436 posts
Tue Oct-14-03 08:46 AM

24. "I saw part of that."
In response to Reply # 7

They came to this college looking at thing, and showed that.

It was terrible. I hated it.

Boston Red Sox - The worst is over. Let's do this.

ororo_munroe
Charter member
9356 posts
Tue Oct-14-03 01:28 PM

32. "of course it was terrible."
In response to Reply # 24

that's why i was like, "sheeeit. these kids can get on a camera, get sponsorship (whoever paid for thier rv or whatever), AND distrubution for this bullshit project? man...i can soooo do that."

it's like inspiration in reverse. these cats set the bar so low, that it gave me confidence. lol. shit, if i hear any more about northern state, i just may have to pick up a mic...

i couldn't be any less serious about that by the way.

res1
Charter member
1753 posts
Wed Oct-15-03 07:17 AM

36. "that sucked"
In response to Reply # 2

I watched it once and then put it on eBay.

-----------------------

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Mon Oct-13-03 09:03 AM

8. "making a documentary"
In response to Reply # 0

I just inboxed AFKAP about this, but I have been in the planning stages of doing a documentary myself, which I hope to start doing next year.

Funds are primarily easy to get, but you have to do the hard work to obtain them. One thing to look up on is obtaining a "fiscal sponsor". This is how you can obtain funds, because one you have one, then you can send proposals to other companies. I have not been lucky in finding a fiscal sponsor, but you may be luckier than I.

Make sure you know who you want to help donate to your film. You wouldn't want it to be a Christian-based clothing company who feels all songs outside of "Now Is The Time To Worship" is for the devil.

If and when you receive donations, you will have to abide by their rules. Sometimes money involved has to be for equipment only, or the media that you want to record on. You also have to deal with costs of post-production, because if you have 10 hours of footage, you now have to deal with viewing all of it, and then coming up with a way to edit and piece it all together. I have read that a decent documentary can be edited and properly mixed and whatnot within two to three weeks. Any more time involves more money, and post-production can and will cost a lot. Not only are you using the equipment, but most likely you'll be using the services of the editor, and the hard drive space used to edit the video (assuming you're editing digitally).

Now, you also have to think about where your documentary is going. Is it for MTV? PBS? Sundance Channel? IFC? Do you plan on showing it to film festivals? If so, how many? There are loads of film festivals every year, and you also have to think about why you want to show them at what film festivals. Are you looking for someone to buy your film to release it in some form, maybe a DVD distributor? Then you would want to show it at "key" film festivals. For example, the documentary I want to do touches on something in Hawai'i that is there but is often taken for granted. I feel that in a few years, this thing will soon disappear, and I want to capture it from the people involved before it fades away. I would definitely want it to air at the , and since I'm in Washington State, the Seattle International Film Festival. There are a number of Asian film festivals in California, I would submit my film to a few of them. Submitting it to Sundance would be cool, and if I have a budget that makes it possible, I could send it there.

OR... you could settle on maximum exposure to film festivals with as little money as possible. In other words, you may not wnat to run it at the big festivals, but get it to all the small ones so that it would generate word of mouth.

With this said, you also have to know what you're doing the documentary for. If it's for profit, you will have to obey certain rules that wouldn't apply to those who make a non-profit documentary. Your film could easily be for profit. Let's say you have it at film festivals and it gets a buzz. You have the option to sign with a company who may want to put it up in the big screen. Or, consider the marketplace and just release it straight to DVD. If you do go to DVD, definitely have a say in how that DVD is presented. Do you want subtitles for foreign markets? Can the company release the DVD as a "region free" DVD, making it possible to reach other countries on a faster basis?

It seems complicated, and to be truthful it is. All I have is information, I've made a few attempts in trying to get a fiscal sponsor and I haven't been so lucky. But once I get something, I'm not going to stop until my documentary is done.

If you're planning on recording the band, you have to have clearance from their manager. When it comes time to edit, you also have to deal with copyright clearance. If it's a documentary that simply documents the fans and what they're willing to do to see Radiohead, it'll be easier.

I personally love documentaries on music, whether it's on the artist or on the fans. If you want, let me send you "Depeche Mode 101", directed by D.A. Pennebaker. It's a concert film, but doesn't look like your regular concert film. It also covers some of the diehard DM fans (including a classic scene where a guy forgets his keys or something at home, and when he returns home, his best friend is fucking his girlfriend, as the cameras capture it all).

Either way, do a lot of research and be informed, so that when you do begin asking for funding, you'll be prepared.

p.e.a.c.e.
-

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:
http://thisisbooksmusic.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/thisisjohnbook
http://www.facebook.com/book1

ororo_munroe
Charter member
9356 posts
Mon Oct-13-03 09:07 AM

9. "*kisses you on the cheek*"
In response to Reply # 8

you are my hero.

and not just because of this.

thanks a bunch. would it be okay if i contacted you if i have a question or two later down the line?

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Mon Oct-13-03 09:26 AM

11. "turning to catch lips"
In response to Reply # 9

>thanks a bunch. would it be okay if i contacted you if i
>have a question or two later down the line?

Definitely.

p.e.a.c.e.
-

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:

cantball
Charter member
46630 posts
Mon Oct-13-03 10:02 AM

13. "I told y'all"
In response to Reply # 8

Johnbook knows EVERYTHING.

<================== Learn the name now before everyone gets dunked on

brother_donte
Member since Dec 03rd 2002
1073 posts
Mon Oct-13-03 09:38 AM

12. "Here are some books"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0452279577/qid=1066077788/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/102-9783133-7963364

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0941188337/ref=pd_sim_books_1/102-9783133-7963364?v=glance&s=books

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0786884770/ref=pd_sim_books_1/102-9783133-7963364?v=glance&s=books

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0805044515/ref=pd_sim_books_4/102-9783133-7963364?v=glance&s=books

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0809320142/ref=pd_sim_books_1/102-9783133-7963364?v=glance&s=books

BROTHER_DONTE
misterbrother@aol.com

"CHILDREN OF GOD?" by Muhibb Dyer

While we argue over religion,
children's arguments in the streets
result in untimely deaths.

While we fight over the Bible and the Qu'ran,
children are fighting for their lives,
in courtrooms where they face
hundreds of years.

While we debate over Allah and Jehovah,
children debate over whether to go to school
or sell dope.

How many souls will we lose,
while we concentrate on who's doctrine
is the most just?

When will we recognize that the devil's work
is being done to perfection
while we argue, fuss, fight
and ignore the responsibility
we have to our children

For this, we all will be held accountable,
and on that day,
the way we worshipped him
will be less significant.

From the 2003 12-month calendar "The Children are Crying."

For more information, e-mail thechildrenarecrying@hotmail.com

More on "The Children are Crying" calendar:
http://www.jsonline.com/news/Metro/jan03/110295.asp

More on the Milwaukee poetry scene:
http://www.jsonline.com/onwisconsin/music/jan03/109313.asp

Check out local hip-hop/spoken word act BLACK ELEPHANT at:
http://www.kairocom.com

BROTHER_DONTE
mcfaddendonte@gmail.com

A profile on Milwaukee's poetry scene:
http://www.mkeonline.com/story.asp?id=333698

More about yours truly:
http://www.myspace.com/mcfaddendonte

ororo_munroe
Charter member
9356 posts
Mon Oct-13-03 10:43 AM

14. "you rule."
In response to Reply # 12

thanks so much.

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43744 posts
Mon Oct-13-03 02:11 PM

15. "Format?"
In response to Reply # 0

Are you shooting video or film?

Film looks much better, especially for documentaries, but it is PRICEY - especially in development of your dailies. I'd reccomend that new Canon XS-1 (I BELIEVE thats the name, not sure) that shoots video at 24 frames per second and can actually be edited and made to look like film. Rent that for a minute and you should be lovely.

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Mon Oct-13-03 05:07 PM

16. "or..."
In response to Reply # 15

They do have filters which make it possible for video to look like film too, regardless of the medium (VHS, digital). MTV has used it in the last two VMA's.

p.e.a.c.e.
-

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43744 posts
Mon Oct-13-03 08:00 PM

18. "Eh..."
In response to Reply # 16

That looked kinda hokey...then again, homeboy might be going for the video looked to begin with.

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

ZioN
Charter member
2792 posts
Tue Oct-14-03 02:48 AM

19. "RE: or..."

do you know where i can have a look at these (websites) etc? - the filters that is

i'm closing in on my first camera which is gonna be cool but i still don't know which one is the best value for money
i'm in australia atm so i am planning to have about $1500-$2000 to spend. not sure what that is over there (wherever you are) and i know that isn't really gonna buy me much but that's all i can afford. any suggestions if you know anything that could do me for that money (well converted to your currency of course)?

anything you could come up with would be greatly appreciated. i don't want to spend all that money on something when i could have got something better etc etc

oh and i'm talking looking at dv cameras

thanks in advance

---

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Oct-14-03 02:58 AM

20. "i have a Sony PD 150"
In response to Reply # 19

which i think is probably the most effective and versatile mid-range prosumer camera out there now

however, Panasonic has recently put out a new camera which looks like the PD 150, does everything the PD 150 does, and in addition shoots at 24 fpm so that your footage looks like film and not video

i'm waiting for all the reviews to come back on it before i buy, though. last time a "film look" camera came out, it ended up having a million glitches

ZioN
Charter member
2792 posts
Tue Oct-14-03 04:10 AM

22. "RE: i have a Sony PD 150"
In response to Reply # 20

cool thanks i'll check that one out

>however, Panasonic has recently put out a new camera which
>looks like the PD 150, does everything the PD 150 does, and
>in addition shoots at 24 fpm so that your footage looks like
>film and not video

so if i want decent quality and get the film look i need something that shoots at 24 fpm?
hmmm...
oh and so your sony's alright?
i've had people tell me that sony cameras are overrated because of this and that and their performance is not up to scratch with other brands...

i need a serious tutorial in camera field because i have no idea

excuse my naivety

---

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Oct-14-03 04:18 AM

23. "RE: i have a Sony PD 150"
In response to Reply # 22

>so if i want decent quality and get the film look i need
>something that shoots at 24 fpm?

Yup… that’s the whole thing with video that makes it look as crappy as it does.

If you got money, there’s lots of Hi-Def video stuff that shoots 24 fpm and is pretty much indistinguishable from film. Stuff like Spy Kids and the new Star Wars movies were all shot in digital video

>hmmm...
>oh and so your sony's alright?
>i've had people tell me that sony cameras are overrated
>because of this and that and their performance is not up to
>scratch with other brands...

nah… the Sonys (either the VX2000 or the PD-150, which is basically an upgraded VX2000) are the best thing going in the mid-range prosumer marker. A lot of people big up the Canon XL-1, but the only thing I admire about it is the fact that it has changeable lenses that you can fit with basically any Canon SLR lens.

Other than that, it’s a bit of a disaster: its “film look” setting causes video noise; its design is front-heavy, making it hard to handle for hand-held work; and I don’t even think it handles low-light shooting as well as the Sonys

ZioN
Charter member
2792 posts
Wed Oct-15-03 02:53 AM

35. "RE: i have a Sony PD 150"
In response to Reply # 23

>nah… the Sonys (either the VX2000 or the PD-150, which is
>basically an upgraded VX2000) are the best thing going in
>the mid-range prosumer marker. A lot of people big up the
>Canon XL-1, but the only thing I admire about it is the fact
>that it has changeable lenses that you can fit with
>basically any Canon SLR lens.
>
>Other than that, it’s a bit of a disaster: its “film look”
>setting causes video noise; its design is front-heavy,
>making it hard to handle for hand-held work; and I don’t
>even think it handles low-light shooting as well as the
>Sonys

thanks for that. i was actually looking at that so it's good to know it has its problems because the reviews i've read are just raving about it.
thanks for everything
i appreciate it truly

---

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Oct-14-03 03:00 AM

21. "those VMAs didn't look like film, though"

that's the problem with filtersand panty hose/vaseline on the lens... you end up getting some distortion when filming moving objects

still, Cokin Pro Mist filters are pretty cool for making things look less like video

sean
Charter member
512 posts
Tue Oct-14-03 09:22 AM

26. "RE: or..."

>They do have filters which make it possible for video to
>look like film too, regardless of the medium (VHS, digital).
> MTV has used it in the last two VMA's.

Alright, time to piggyback and drop knowledge (not all of this pertains to you're post, but it seems to fit best here... whatever).

1. MTV shot the last two VMA's with the Panasonic AJ-SDX900 (standard definition) and AJ-HDC27 (high definition) cameras at 24 frames per second. The signal from these cameras (running at "film" speed) was then converted for standard definition broadcast (30fps, otherwise known as 29.97fps or 60i for us AV nerds). The "filmic" look is a combination of the frame rate and a Panasonic technology they call Cineswitch, which adjusts the Gamma curve of video to more closely mimic film. Which leads me to camera's that are cool, which you and I can afford...

2. The Panasonice AG-DVX100:
http://www.panasonic.com/PBDS/subcat/Products/cams_ccorders/f_ag-dvx100.html

The DVX100 is the shit, it's like those other camera's younger brother. It shoots 24p video and has Cineswitch, which means that the stuff you shoot looks more like film. Plus, it only costs $3500, which is a hell of a deal for a camera that shoots footage that looks this good:
http://www.informotion.co.uk/dvxClips.php
Check the clip at the bottom right... it's big but it's worth the wait.

The only real limitation is that the camera shoots DV format video, which means that if you were to transfer to film, the tranfer wouldn't be as nice of quality as if you shot originally on film. But for the price, I think it's an unbelievable bargain, and will make your (or anyone's for that matter) documentary look a whole lot nicer.

sean

ps- the filter you all may be thinking of that makes video look like film is made by the Orphanage and is called Magic Bullet:
http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/magbulsuit.html
But it still doesn't look as nice as footage that was shot at 24fps... there's a lot of math and cognitive theory behind that statement that I don't feel like getting into, so just trust me when I say that.

---------------

I don't really believe in God
But God, I'm scared to death of God?!?
I swear to God, I never meant to spill
the beans
Nor tear the Bible
- Aesop Rock "Big Bang"

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Oct-14-03 09:25 AM

27. "thanks for the info, man"
In response to Reply # 26

especially about the Magic Bullet… I didn’t know about that

I’m thinking of picking up one of them new Panasonics, but I might sell my PD150 (barely used, y’all!) first

ricky_BUTLER
Member since Jul 06th 2003
16899 posts
Tue Oct-14-03 09:25 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
28. "dropping science like galileo dropped the orange"

kicking the new k-nowledge

wow!

archive for sean's post alone

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Tue Oct-14-03 12:51 PM

29. "Cineswitch, thank you"

When I worked in TV production I would have known, but I've been out of the loop. At least I know I wasn't going insane yet.

p.e.a.c.e.
-

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:

missesjones
Charter member
8356 posts
Mon Oct-13-03 06:39 PM

17. "i wanna make one, too..."
In response to Reply # 0

actually several, but i'm getting ahead of myself. i just decided to take a class on it, though. one that takes you through all of the basics, from script writing to lighting to editing.

this is definitely an informative post.

in rotation:

various | desert sessions 9&10
the constantines | shine a light
doves | lost sides
jj72 | jj72
various | hanging with the strokes

cat power | the greatest
the gossip | standing in the way of control
hot chip | the warning
diplo | fabric live.24
les rhythmes digitales | dark dancer

ororo_munroe
Charter member
9356 posts
Tue Oct-14-03 01:31 PM

33. "yeah, there's a local non-profit"
In response to Reply # 17

that holds workshops, screenings and things like that for filmmakers. they also have equipment rental for filming and editing available. they are a pretty cool organization called 911 media arts center (named so long before '9-11' btw) www.911media.org . anyways, i'm gonna try to get affiliated with them, take some classes and see if they can help me.

where are you taking classes? you're in the bay right?

missesjones
Charter member
8356 posts
Tue Oct-14-03 03:52 PM

34. "hmmm..."
In response to Reply # 33
Tue Oct-14-03 03:52 PM

haven't heard of that place, but i'll definitely bookmark their site.

i'm actually in sacramento, which is close to the bay. i'm just gonna take a class at our local cable access channel, so my project will probably be lame, but at least i'll have a better understanding of how things work, and whatever i do will actually air...of course no one will see it, but still.

in rotation:

various | desert sessions 9&10
the constantines | shine a light
doves | lost sides
jj72 | jj72
various | hanging with the strokes

cat power | the greatest
the gossip | standing in the way of control
hot chip | the warning
diplo | fabric live.24
les rhythmes digitales | dark dancer

ricky_BUTLER
Member since Jul 06th 2003
16899 posts
Tue Oct-14-03 09:03 AM

25. "these might help"
In response to Reply # 0

good luck

http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/lzone/movie/movie.htm

http://www.thehoffmancollection.com/about.htm

http://www.integratedphoto.com/

http://www.der.org/

http://www.documentaries.org/aboutus/index.htm

ororo_munroe
Charter member
9356 posts
Tue Oct-14-03 01:20 PM

30. "thanks! n'm"
In response to Reply # 25

n'm

ororo_munroe
Charter member
9356 posts
Tue Oct-14-03 01:25 PM

31. "can anyone breakdown equipment?"
In response to Reply # 0

i saw some posts on specific types of cameras, and that's great...

but what types of things do i really need...a camera and what else? any extras that are vital? what about software? i can look up the prices myself...but i've gleened that a new camera should cost about $3500 or more? lol. i'm glad y'all told me, because i really would have been all about a $600 digital camcorder from circuit city.

this has been so helpful so far y'all. thanks for cluing a sista in...

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Wed Oct-15-03 06:11 PM

37. "you can rent cameras as well"
In response to Reply # 31

If there is a local film school near you, or a film class at a nearby university, contact them.

One idea would be to write a proposal, saying that you'd like to a small camera crew to help you out. Sometimes they might do it for just the experience or a credit, othertimes maybe room and some food.

It's much cheaper to rent than it would be to buy. I had talked with a guy in Honolulu who regularly does sports videos, and he runs a facility where he rents equipment (including lighting, sound equipment, etc) and allows use of his editing facilities.

But if you definitely want to go the DIY route, by all means go for it. Someone suggested Filmmaker magazine, so look along does lines. They'll have video editing programs which are as costly as audio editing programs, but buy them and you can use them and upgrade if you decide to make more videos/films.

But a rental would be better for you, especially if you want to test the waters on a camera. If it's not good or as good, you can try another one. There's a small chance you might have other interests and you'll have to resell for a much cheaper price.

p.e.a.c.e.
-

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:

ororo_munroe
Charter member
9356 posts
Fri Oct-17-03 02:16 PM

39. "i believe this should be archived."
In response to Reply # 0

yup.

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Fri Oct-17-03 04:02 PM

40. "and now it is"
In response to Reply # 39

p.e.a.c.e.
-

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:

Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #6481 Previous topic | Next topic