Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #50306

Subject: "The growing controversy over Blood Diamond (swipe)" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Tue Oct-10-06 03:36 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The growing controversy over Blood Diamond (swipe)"

This is sounding like something I want to see. And I've heard from a reliable source that a prominent rapper (whom I won't name, and it's not Russell Simmons or Kanye West, if you figure it out, great, but you won't get a 'yay' or 'nay' from me) was said to have been "moved to tears" after seeing the movie, and met with the director to see what he could do to contribute to the film. The article is from the L.A. Times:

>Crystallizing opinion

The gem trade, fearing sales won't sparkle, campaigns against `Blood Diamond.'

By Elizabeth Snead
Special to The Times

October 10, 2006

"BLOOD DIAMOND," Ed Zwick's film starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Djimon Hounsou and Jennifer Connelly, doesn't open until Dec. 15, but it's already getting more free publicity than Warner Bros. could have dreamed of. Set in the late '90s when rebel militias seized control of Sierra Leone's diamond mines, selling rough gems to buy weapons they used to slaughter and mutilate many thousands of innocent people, "Blood Diamond" tells a fictional tale of two South Africans, a white mercenary and a black fisherman, who find a rare pink diamond. But even two months before its release the film has spurred talk that it could turn consumers off to buying diamonds for fear their money would be supporting murderers.

De Beers, the international diamond cartel that controls the majority of the world's diamonds, has gone on the offensive to try to distance the industry from the history depicted in the film. But according to Ken Sunshine, Leonardo DiCaprio's publicist, those connected with the movie feel the stepped-up public relations efforts have backfired for De Beers. "I hope they keep on publicizing the controversies and our 'Blood Diamond' movie," Sunshine said.

For his part, Zwick says he's been pleased with the attention. "The changes that have come about in regard to the conflict diamond trade … came about because of increased attention on the issue. If the film can continue to increase awareness, it will have surpassed my expectations."

Indeed, as Bonnie Abaunza, Los Angeles-based director of Amnesty International's celebrity outreach program, points out, the media is covering so-called "conflict diamonds" more now than when Sierra Leone's bloody civil wars were actually taking place. "It's amazing that all this attention is on conflict diamonds when no one has even seen the film yet," she said. Amnesty International is steadily recruiting celebrities in an effort to use the film to focus attention on human rights questions that still surround the diamond industry. For example, Abaunza said, she recently screened "Blood Diamond" for hip-hop entrepreneur Russell Simmons, who works with De Beers on his line of diamond jewelry.

As early as last fall, De Beers head Jonathan Oppenheimer expressed concern that the film might hurt Christmas and Valentine's Day sales. He asked the filmmakers to add a disclaimer stating that the events in the film are fictional and in the past and that, thanks to the Kimberley Process, which the industry put in place to document where diamonds come from, conflict diamonds end up on the market only very rarely. The filmmakers declined to add it.

De Beers then hired PR big-guns Sitrick and Co., which specializes in Hollywood scandals, while the diamond industry also mounted a PR campaign — full-page ads in newspapers and online — to explain the industry's efforts to control the supply and sale of blood diamonds. "The PR campaign was never designed to fight the film," said a member of the World Diamond Council publicity team, who asked not to be identified but added that the industry was happy that the issues were being discussed. The publicity campaign, he said, "was designed to educate consumers about a story we should have told years ago."

Bushmen's plea

In September, unbeknown to Warners, another player entered the diamond PR war: the Kalahari Bushmen of Botswana, who were evicted by the government of Botswana from their land, where De Beers is exploring for diamonds.

The Bushmen, whose advocates say that De Beers' Botswana diamonds should be considered conflict diamonds, took out a full-page ad in Variety, asking for help from DiCaprio. It read, in part: "Friends have told us that you are in a film, 'Blood Diamond,' which shows how badly diamonds can hurt. We know this. When we were chased off our land, officials told us it was because of the diamond finds. Please help us, Sir."

More international headlines were made when, after the Bushmen ad ran in Variety, Survival International, on behalf of the Bushmen, asked model Linda Evangelista to step down as the new face of De Beers, and asked Mohammed Fayed not to let De Beers open a concession in Harrod's in London.

Warner Bros., meanwhile, has done no publicity for the film, save releasing the trailer last week. It was a tightly closed set while shooting in Africa, which only finished a few months ago. Only a few critics have seen the still-unfinished film, and studio reps are tight-lipped on details of their publicity plans. In September 2005, De Beers' Oppenheimer expressed concerns about the film to diamond dealers and retailers at an industry convention in Cape Town, South Africa.

"Can you imagine its impact on the Christmas-buying audience in America if the message is not carried through that this is something of the past?" Oppenheimer asked. "That this is something that has been managed and taken care of?"

In February 2006, Kago G. Moshashane, the deputy secretary of Botswana's Ministry of Minerals, Energy and Water Resources, and Eli Izhakoff, chairman of the World Diamond Council, sent a joint letter to Zwick asking the filmmaker to show how mine owners have reduced the Sierra Leone conflict diamond trade. But on June 27, Zwick told Eonline, "We're all aware of the Kimberley Process. The movie details the events of 1999 and our facts are in order. And we're not negotiating with anyone as to the content of our movie and we'll make the movie as we see fit."

Public relations effort

In September, the diamond industry began its multimillion-dollar campaign to "educate consumers" about the Kimberley Process. But to some observers, the very scale of the costly campaign has raised suspicion. "The multimillion-dollar PR campaigns, full-page ads in major newspapers, outreaches to consumers and journalists with their new website (www.diamondfacts.org)…. Oddly, none of this is working in their favor. Everyone is asking, 'Why are they doing this? What do they fear?' " Abaunza said.

The Kimberley Process, which the diamond industry insists has reduced blood diamonds to 1% of stones sold, has been criticized by Amnesty International and Global Witness for being ineffective and corrupted. Amy O'Meara of Amnesty International's Business and Human Rights Program described it as fundamentally flawed. "There is no effective way to track the stones from point of origin to point of sale," she said. "They need an auditable tracking system. The diamond industry is asking us to take them at their word. That's not good enough. There is so much money at stake and so many hands in the pot. It's easy for the system to be corrupted."

The Kimberley Process came under attack last week when the Government Accounting Office (GAO) recommended that the diamond industry and the U.S. government do more to stop conflict diamonds from entering the U.S. The GAO report acknowledged that the legitimate trade of rough diamonds can help African economies, but it added that rough diamonds remain a major cause for concern. Even the Department of Homeland Security is getting into the act. According to a Reuters report last week, the department released a response to the GAO report, pledging to work with the State Department to record detailed information about diamonds entering this country, as well as conducting periodic random examinations of diamond shipments.

Casualties of war

Those who have seen the film say that the industry has good reason to be nervous. A dozen real child amputees are seen in the film, victims of the civil wars fueled by the conflict diamond trade. And the film also focuses on other casualties of the wars: millions of refugees and thousands of child soldiers, young boys stolen from their families and trained to kill and perform atrocities. The ending of the film states that there are still 200,000 child soldiers in Africa.

The film also depicts an international diamond cartel named Van Der Kaap that knowingly buys conflict stones from rebels and mercenaries and stockpiles the gems in their European vaults to stop them from flooding the gem market and causing a drop in diamond prices.

De Beers has long been criticized for being a monopoly and has been banned for a decade from operating in the U.S. for violating antitrust laws. The company settled a 2005 U.S. class action lawsuit for $250 million. The suit accused the company of illegally restraining trade, limiting diamond inventories and falsely advertising the scarcity of diamonds to boost prices.

Those who support strengthening the Kimberley Process are encouraged by the "Blood Diamond" buzz. "There's been a lot of progress this year since the media has stepped up their coverage of the issue," O'Meara said.

The issues surrounding conflict diamonds will get strong support from the film's stars at the Dec. 12 premiere, which may involve Amnesty International and Global Witness. "We're still in the process of working out details," a company spokesperson said. "But it's safe to say that they will be involved in some way." Amnesty and Global Witness will also co-host an event in Los Angeles on Nov. 14, where they expect representatives from the Diamond Council as well. And AIUSA will be hosting special screenings on 10 campuses around the country to mobilize youthful activists.

" 'Blood Diamond' is real entertainment but it's also a Trojan horse," Abaunza said. "Our hope is that after people see this powerful film, they will want to find out more about these issues and what they can do to help."
*boom boom*

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
with or without the blood, diamonds are a scam
Oct 10th 2006
As someone who is about to enter the engagement ring market...
Dec 06th 2006
As someone who is about to enter the engagement ring market...
Dec 06th 2006
^^^^knows what he's saying^^^^^
Dec 18th 2006
I wished the trailer explained why that one diamond was so important...
Oct 10th 2006
Based on this article
Oct 10th 2006
They played that trailer before The Departed...
Oct 10th 2006
At least you saw it, we could only hear it
Oct 10th 2006
Zales is hatin n/m
Oct 10th 2006
      IS THEY JACOB?!?!?!
Oct 10th 2006
           Jacob = Yakub.
Oct 10th 2006
                Oh shit, son.
Oct 11th 2006
                RE: Jacob = Yakub.
Nov 25th 2006
Zwick has a good track record with me...
Nov 03rd 2006
"where is the stoooone?" (c) benecio in Snatch
Oct 10th 2006
I laughed
Nov 24th 2006
just because it's unique, surely
Nov 22nd 2006
so think this will have any real effect on the diamond industry?
Oct 10th 2006
Is anybody going to even see this movie?
Oct 11th 2006
yeah, it looks pretty bad
Oct 11th 2006
you never know
Nov 24th 2006
i was turned off by the trailer
Oct 11th 2006
RE: pretty much.
Dec 11th 2006
So much for the positive actions of Hollywood
Oct 24th 2006
Yikes. That's horrible, if it's true.
Oct 24th 2006
To be honest, it sounds like a bit like a smear campaign
Oct 24th 2006
Zwick fires back (swipe)
Oct 24th 2006
i doubt a rep would really say this:
Oct 24th 2006
Nikki Finke update (long swipe)
Nov 03rd 2006
One assumption I feel safe making
Dec 06th 2006
      A diamond...and anything involved in it's worth....is shady
Dec 25th 2006
In America, they call it bling bling; here, we call it bang bang
Nov 03rd 2006
Yeah, that shit is terrible.
Nov 03rd 2006
UPDATE: having seen the movie, it works within the context of
Nov 22nd 2006
      RE: UPDATE: having seen the movie, it works within the context of
Nov 25th 2006
           um.......
Nov 26th 2006
           no it's not. the term "blood diamond" was in usage long before this...
Nov 27th 2006
           You don't read much do you?
Dec 06th 2006
RE: In America, they call it bling bling; here, we call it bang bang
Nov 25th 2006
It could have worked if he had taken it further
Dec 06th 2006
not to mention anachronistic
Dec 10th 2006
that's what I was thinking
Feb 09th 2007
it was actually "bling bang", but I got it.
Dec 21st 2006
Saw it tonight
Dec 06th 2006
Was Leo DiCap tolerable?
Dec 06th 2006
      Yes, but I think he's a great actor
Dec 06th 2006
      Leo has become a good actor
Dec 21st 2006
      his performance was great (djimon's too) and the accent was fine.
Dec 06th 2006
      Up there with one of his best performances ever.
Dec 10th 2006
      I have the same Leo policy and I thought he was pretty good
Dec 10th 2006
      performance was GREAT. he and Djimon killed it.
Dec 17th 2006
      Ha, I was with you on that...
Dec 21st 2006
Why should DeBeers care?
Dec 06th 2006
The connection isn't hard to make
Dec 07th 2006
Djimon wins Best Supporting Actor (swipe)
Dec 06th 2006
well deserved. he was awesome.
Dec 07th 2006
      He really made Blood Diamond great
Dec 07th 2006
Botswana is not happy.
Dec 10th 2006
The battles continues (swipe)
Dec 11th 2006
HAHHAHAHAHAA
Dec 13th 2006
This movie was good, but they lay the preachiness on THICK.
Dec 17th 2006
The truth hurts.
Dec 21st 2006
Enjoyed it, the performances were great
Dec 17th 2006
Finally saw it...
Dec 18th 2006
My nephew and I won't ever be buying diamonds...
Dec 21st 2006
decent
Dec 24th 2006
good movie. some flaws, but still good.
Feb 09th 2007

theprofessional
Charter member
8761 posts
Tue Oct-10-06 04:06 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "with or without the blood, diamonds are a scam"
In response to Reply # 0

i worked in kay's for a year. the whole thing is a big, fat hustle. if you've ever paid the sticker price for a diamond, you lost. if you've ever purchased a diamond you didn't examine through a gemscope, you lost. if you've ever opened up an in-store account to finance a diamond without putting any money down, you lost. if you've ever set foot in a jewelry store in your life, chances are, you lost.

"i smack clowns with nouns, punch herbs with verbs..."

Bo_De_Ga
Charter member
2315 posts
Wed Dec-06-06 03:29 PM

37. "As someone who is about to enter the engagement ring market..."
In response to Reply # 1

...all I can say is "Ouch".

Bo_De_Ga
Charter member
2315 posts
Wed Dec-06-06 03:29 PM

38. "As someone who is about to enter the engagement ring market..."
In response to Reply # 1
Wed Dec-06-06 03:32 PM by Bo_De_Ga

...all I can say is "Ouch".

*prepares to accept an expensive L*

MANHOODLUM
Charter member
27788 posts
Mon Dec-18-06 01:58 PM

58. "^^^^knows what he's saying^^^^^"
In response to Reply # 1

I don't know much about jewelry, but I do know this...

I put a ring on layaway, and I was paying on it.

It was $3,000.

I paid about $2,000 on it.

Well, I wasn't interested in the ring anymore.

The ring never left the store.

No refund.

I needed the money, so I became desperate.

I'm like "Ok, just give me $1,000"

No.

They wouldn't give me $10 if I'd asked.

It made me realize, and I already knew, that diamonds aren't worth shit...I just didn't know that fact manifested itself in everyday practices.

That rock is worth thousands IN the store...once you take it out the store...it's a rock.

I ended up pawning it at a 2-bit hole-in-the-wall for like $200...3 weeks AFTER it left the store. I was grateful for THAT.

It depreciated like 6000% lol

Once I put money on that ring, the store stopped sucking my dick and treated me like some pauper.

E-Boogs and Nayi

MANHOODLUM
Most sig'd okp.
No Aliases.

MANHOODLUM via Twitter
MANHOODLUM@live.com
MANHOODLUM@yahoo.com
Tommy Moran @ Facebook
MANHOODLUM@tmo.blackberry.net

Mr Mech
Member since Jul 02nd 2002
8373 posts
Tue Oct-10-06 09:23 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I wished the trailer explained why that one diamond was so important..."
In response to Reply # 0

All it kept saying was "They want the stone, don't give up the stone" (sic). I didn't know pink diamonds were that big a deal. I guess maybe because it's so big and uncut.

Mech

sithlord
Member since Aug 05th 2002
2832 posts
Tue Oct-10-06 05:25 PM

3. "Based on this article"
In response to Reply # 2

I might see the movie two times and buy two or three tickets each time I go.

"I mean people think this business is all about money, sex and drugs. Well, it is. But you've also got to remember it is a business. So handle your business, pay your taxes and be on time.''
-The infinite wisdom of Juicy J of Three 6 Mafia

kurlyswirl
Member since Jul 13th 2002
16693 posts
Tue Oct-10-06 05:42 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "They played that trailer before The Departed..."
In response to Reply # 2
Tue Oct-10-06 05:53 PM by kurlyswirl

And I swear I must have been blanking out on it because I didn't catch the title or that it was about a diamond. I know this is the film you guys are talking about only because it takes place in Africa and stars Leonard DiCaprio, Djimon Hounsou and Jennifer Connelly. lol

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

It's about the blanket.

kurly's Super-Duper Awesome DVD Collection:
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=kurlyswirl

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Tue Oct-10-06 05:56 PM

5. "At least you saw it, we could only hear it"
In response to Reply # 4

for some reason the projector kept blacking out, so we'd hear audio but get no sound. The picture would come up for a second, then go right back out... I was heated... and looking around for *someone else* to go tell the people what was wrong... I wasn't gettin' up, I was comfortable...
*boom boom*

Doc Maestro
Member since May 12th 2005
10391 posts
Tue Oct-10-06 08:12 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "Zales is hatin n/m"
In response to Reply # 5

sheeeeit

buckshot defunct
Member since May 02nd 2003
26345 posts
Tue Oct-10-06 09:24 PM

7. "IS THEY JACOB?!?!?!"
In response to Reply # 6

-----------------------------
http://talestosuffice.com/
@kennykeil

magilla vanilla
Member since Sep 13th 2002
18756 posts
Tue Oct-10-06 09:26 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "Jacob = Yakub."
In response to Reply # 7

Think about it. . .

---------------------------------
Photo zine(some images NSFW): http://bit.ly/USaSPhoto

"This (and every, actually) conversation needs more Chesterton and less Mike Francesa." - Walleye

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Wed Oct-11-06 04:42 AM

12. "Oh shit, son."
In response to Reply # 8

*boom boom*

theodore909
Member since Nov 25th 2006
27 posts
Sat Nov-25-06 05:59 PM

29. "RE: Jacob = Yakub."
In response to Reply # 8

naw it's Yakov player LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

m
Charter member
15756 posts
Fri Nov-03-06 08:41 AM

23. "Zwick has a good track record with me..."
In response to Reply # 4

The Last Samurai
My So Called Life
Glory
About Last Night

Even "The Siege" and "Legends Of The Fall" had it's moments... never saw "Courage Under Fire."

Anyways, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt... and my money... on this one.

soul creator
Member since Jul 06th 2002
10339 posts
Tue Oct-10-06 11:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. ""where is the stoooone?" (c) benecio in Snatch"
In response to Reply # 2

--
what sig are you looking at, sugar tits?

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Fri Nov-24-06 03:18 PM

26. "I laughed"
In response to Reply # 9

The Damaja
Member since Aug 02nd 2003
18637 posts
Wed Nov-22-06 01:27 PM

25. "just because it's unique, surely"
In response to Reply # 2

i mean i'm no expert but i assumed that a diamond of a unique colour (or rare colour) would be worth astronomically more. and also, maybe there's a whole deposit of pink diamond somewhere, and there's political ramifications about the geography

--------------------
Why do you choose to mimic these wack MCs?
Why do you choose to listen to R&B?

"There are obviously many things which we do not understand, and may never be able to." Leela

*puts emceeing in a box*

buckshot defunct
26345 posts
Tue Oct-10-06 11:21 PM

10. "so think this will have any real effect on the diamond industry?"
In response to Reply # 0

Hate to be a debbie downer here but I don't really see it making too much of a dent. Maybe a brief, anti-bling backlash for a while, but then we'll be right back to obsessing over shiny rocks like we have been since the dawn of time.

A little awareness can go a long way though, so who knows. The first obstacle, of course, will be getting people to pay attention to the movie- and not Leo's horrible accent. Sounds like the kind of voice Dick Van Dyke would affect had he been cast in Cool Runnings. Yeesh.

@kennykeil

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Wed Oct-11-06 02:40 AM

11. "Is anybody going to even see this movie?"
In response to Reply # 10

They better amp up the positive message angle because it didn't look all that good. Leo's accent was odd and I thought he really came off as miscast. I wasn't really won over by the trailer.

This will have about as much of an effect on diamond sales as Lord of War did on gun smuggling.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

buckshot defunct
26345 posts
Wed Oct-11-06 09:40 AM

14. "yeah, it looks pretty bad"
In response to Reply # 11

>This will have about as much of an effect on diamond sales as
>Lord of War did on gun smuggling.

True, but it's not like the movie going public is actively involved in gun smuggling. We buy our wives rocks, not glocks.

@kennykeil

smutsboy
Member since Jun 29th 2002
33301 posts
Fri Nov-24-06 10:16 PM

27. "you never know"
In response to Reply # 10

this movie could definitely have some kind of effect.

Hotel Rwanda woke many people up to the U.S. indifference to genocide. Even if people almost immediately went back to ignorant sleep, it was still worthwhile, IMO.

https://i.imgur.com/ZkkZekl.gif

shamus
Member since Oct 18th 2004
4465 posts
Wed Oct-11-06 04:47 AM

13. "i was turned off by the trailer"
In response to Reply # 0

i swear it was 2 minutes of Leo and Djimon screaming back and forth to one another.

plus, i'm just weary of the "let's show how fucked up africa is" type movies right now.

hunuh
Charter member
4269 posts
Mon Dec-11-06 10:41 PM

52. "RE: pretty much."
In response to Reply # 13

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

when whodini made friends it was well spoken.

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Tue Oct-24-06 05:43 PM

15. "So much for the positive actions of Hollywood"
In response to Reply # 0

Warner Brothers is accused of exploiting African amputees in order to promote the movie "Blood Diamond".

IMDB says:The studio handpicked 27 teenage and child amputees from South African hospitals to appear as extras in the Leonardo DiCaprio film and promised to provide prosthetic limbs as well as a small salary for their contribution. However, more than three months after filming wrapped, the kids are reportedly still waiting for their new limbs…

And here's the money shot, a rep for Warner Brothers told the amputees, "You will have to wait for December, when the movie comes out, so we can get some publicity out of it."

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

kurlyswirl
Member since Jul 13th 2002
16693 posts
Tue Oct-24-06 05:46 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "Yikes. That's horrible, if it's true."
In response to Reply # 15

IMDb is kinda tabloidy with their news, so I'll need to hear it from a more reliable source before I'll believe it.

>Warner Brothers is accused of exploiting African amputees in
>order to promote the movie "Blood Diamond".
>
> IMDB says:The studio handpicked 27 teenage and child amputees
>from South African hospitals to appear as extras in the
>Leonardo DiCaprio film and promised to provide prosthetic
>limbs as well as a small salary for their contribution.
>However, more than three months after filming wrapped, the
>kids are reportedly still waiting for their new limbs…
>
>And here's the money shot, a rep for Warner Brothers told the
>amputees, "You will have to wait for December, when the movie
>comes out, so we can get some publicity out of it."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

It's about the blanket.

kurly's Super-Duper Awesome DVD Collection:
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=kurlyswirl

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Tue Oct-24-06 05:58 PM

17. "To be honest, it sounds like a bit like a smear campaign"
In response to Reply # 16

probably worked up by the PR people the diamond companies hired. I mean, you can't just go and hand out prosthetics to people. It was like when O'Reilly attacked Clooney for not giving away all of the money from his telethon immediately. That just isn't how it works.

However, if that one quote from the WB rep was real, it's pretty ugly.

----

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Tue Oct-24-06 06:03 PM

18. "Zwick fires back (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 16

That didn't take long.

http://www.defamer.com/hollywood/warner-bros/blood-diamond-director-zwick-denies-accusation-that-warner-bros-would-use-charity-for-promotional-gain-209888.php

Understandably "furious" about yesterday's Page Six report on Blood Diamond's alleged "Limbs for Photo-Ops" program, in which the production was accused of having not yet made good on its promises of providing prosthetic appendages to amputees used as extras in the movie, director Ed Zwick rang up the LA Weekly's Nikki Finke to go on the record about the story, which he calls "a very cynical and appalling tack to take and in the worst taste," and "the work of someone who clearly bears the film ill will." (The diamond industry? Harvey Weinstein?) A snippet of his explanation of the shoot's charitable endeavors:

"And, all of us together -- Leonardo DiCaprio, Jennifer Connelly, Djimon Hounsou, the whole cast and crew, and producers like Paula Weinstein, and me -- just talked about what we ourselves could do. And knowing all the while that would turn out to be a drop in the bucket compared to the needs all around us. But the need was so great, and the people and the villages had welcomed us with such generosity, we wanted to do what we could. And so, at the suggestion of the Mozambique production manager Nick Laws, everyone contributed to a fund. There was no twisting of arms: everyone agreed.

And so, at the suggestion of the Mozambique production manager Nick Laws, everyone contributed to a fund. There was no twisting of arms: everyone agreed. And then we asked the studio to match it, which they agreed." The "Blood Diamond Fund," as it came to be called, totals in the six figures. I've heard varying numbers ranging from $200,000 up to $500,000. "That may seem trivial," Zwick emphasizes, "but the Blood Diamond production was also pumping as much as $40 million straight into the local economy. Cash for building roads, hiring drivers, paying for hotel accommodations. When you make a film in a place where the need is desperate, money is like a shot in the arm of the local economy."

We have no idea whether the Warner Bros. rep cited in the original Page Six story offered more by way of explanation than the terse "We're working on it" that ran, or if the column cut it down to the dismissive, "Yeah, yeah, the kids are getting their damn plastic legs. Got anything else you want to waste my time with?" way in which it was presented. But at least we now know that the kids who eventually get their much-needed prosthetics won't be given them in a gift bag in front of a line of wire photographers at the movie's premiere.

----

PlanetInfinite
Charter member
126185 posts
Tue Oct-24-06 08:21 PM

19. "i doubt a rep would really say this:"
In response to Reply # 15

>And here's the money shot, a rep for Warner Brothers told the
>amputees, "You will have to wait for December, when the movie
>comes out, so we can get some publicity out of it."

a rep says shit like that and would get fired, no?

---------------------
http://www.myspace.com/thievinstealberg
http://computerstupid.blogspot.com/ -updated 10-13-06 (the linger | rapping out loud)

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Fri Nov-03-06 04:12 AM

20. "Nikki Finke update (long swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

>Blood From Stones

The diamond cartel's campaign against Leo's upcoming movie gets dirty

By NIKKI FINKE

Wednesday, November 1, 2006 - 10:45 am

For more than a decade now, rap and hip-hop have made bling the thing, and no one more than Russell Simmons, who even started his own diamond-encrusted-jewelry line two years ago. “So I said to Warner Bros., get to Russell,” said Bonnie Abaunza. As the Los Angeles–based director of Amnesty International’s celebrity-outreach program, she has been using the studio’s December release of Blood Diamond to focus attention on so-called conflict diamonds (gems mined in war zones and sold to finance the fighting in underdeveloped countries) and the human-rights questions that still surround the diamond industry. So on September 21, when Simmons showed up in a midtown-Manhattan hotel to attend the Clinton Global Initiative Conference, Abaunza seized the moment. “I just saw this movie, Blood Diamond. You could really make a difference on this issue with this generation that buys the diamonds and doesn’t know the history,” she explained to him. Simmons admitted he didn’t know much about the conflict-diamond issue, but confided that “De Beers just contacted me and wants to work with me on this.” He was referring to the world’s largest diamond producer, which also supplies the bling for his jewelry company. Still, Abaunza was hopeful. She followed up with an information-packed letter. She screened the film for him. “He told Warner Bros. that he was moved,” she recalled.

So moved that this powerful black entrepreneur, known for his work on behalf of modern-day civil rights and social justice, announced last week that he will lead “a fact-finding mission” about the diamond industry in South Africa and Botswana from November 26 to December 4.

But the trip is not being sponsored by Amnesty International.

Instead, it’s being organized and underwritten by the Diamond Information Center — which just happens to be the De Beers cartel’s U.S. marketing arm.

“Coincidence? C’mon,” a frustrated Abaunza told me.

All along, the real question behind the scenes of Blood Diamond — an action-adventure pic set against the backdrop of civil war and chaos in the diamond-mining center of 1990s Sierra Leone, starring Leo DiCaprio, Jennifer Connelly and Djimon Hounsou, directed by Ed Zwick and produced by Paula Weinstein — is not whether it will be an Oscar contender (probably) or a critics’ favorite (possibly). It’s just how much mud the World Diamond Council and its flacks and flunkies and friends are planning to throw at the well-intentioned film and its too-liberal-for-the-room credits.

Now the answer is clear: a lot, more than enough to dirty its awards chances.

It’s rare in Hollywood, home to most things horrible, to have good vs. evil play out offscreen as well as on. (As opposed to seeing this as a level playing field where the really rich are ganging up on the really rich, so, in on sense, they deserve each other.) Yet here, the tactic of choice, already evidenced, is to smear the film’s production by accusing everyone involved of exploiting the Africans in much the same execrable way the diamond industry has done for decades — even though the director, the stars, the producer, and even Alan Horn, the studio mogul who pushed the project, are known for their progressive activism, and even though not one do-gooder, Amnesty International (the Nobel Peace Prize–winning organization), but two, Global Witness (the Nobel Peace Prize–nominated org), both endorsed the film. But, in terms of Oscar, damaging allegations, especially those smelling of hypocrisy, can stink up an Academy Awards campaign. And that’s what is happening.

Witness October 23’s Page Six charge that Warner Bros. reneged on a promise to provide prosthetic limbs to all the orphaned African teenage and child amputees who appeared as extras in the movie, or at the very least planned to delay making good until the start of publicity for the film. It’s juicy gossip, made all the more tasty by the spectre of all those limbless kids crying out to Hollywood for new legs and arms.

Zwick was appalled, not because of that image, but because it wasn’t true. “This is a very cynical and appalling tack to take, and in the worst taste, especially given what we all tried to do while we were there,” he told me by phone from London, describing the “Blood Diamond Fund” that cast and crew set up with their own money, which was matched by Warner Bros., to fund good works in the African communities where the pic filmed. “What I do think is, this is the work of someone who clearly bears the film ill will.”

Amnesty’s Abaunza called the smear “beyond loathsome” because she also knew it was false. “Anybody in the entertainment industry who knows Ed and Paula and Leo and Djimon and Jennifer would know that these people would never, ever condone anything like this. Neither they nor we would risk our reputations,” she told me. “I believe a line has been crossed. To give the impression that this despicable act was done against people who’ve already suffered tremendously is just unconscionable, and whoever planted that story should be held accountable.”

Abaunza went on the record with me about her suspicions as to who was the culprit. “I don’t think it happens to be a coincidence that, as we get closer to the movie’s release, this story happens, and so many stories pitting the diamond industry against this movie in September and October happened. Yes, I think this story was planted by the World Diamond Council, and I think this story was planted in an attempt to impact the Oscar buzz on this film. But there’s no way to prove it. And the stories are going to get nastier.”

She was right. Two days after I spoke to her, Page Six followed up with an even worse item, describing how “the producers of the upcoming Blood Diamond not only exploited amputees in Africa, they created a new amputee.” Only this time, the gossip was partly true. Because of a tragic on-set accident, South African native and professional special-effects technician supervisor Edward Visage working with the second unit of production severely injured his hand. Doctors determined it could not be saved after he was evacuated to the hospital. The Page Six item quoted an unnamed source claiming that “Warner Bros. was too cheap to bring in a special-effects guy from the U.S.,” a charge that the studio denied to me. “The accident was investigated by local authorities, and it was determined that proper procedures were followed,” said a spokesperson. “The studio has provided Mr. Visage with appropriate assistance and compensation. He is currently back to work.” It’s the kind of awful episode that reinforces everyone’s queasy feelings about Hollywood, which manages to maim or kill people working on its movies at an alarming rate. That it happened on Blood Diamond is just the sort of tragedy which the film’s enemy can exploit.

The timing of the film’s release, moved up from December 15 to December 8, is a nightmare for the diamond industry since the Christmas season accounts for up to 50 percent of a fine jeweler’s sales and 75 percent of the profit. And then Valentine’s Day will coincide with Blood Diamond’s Oscar campaign. I’ve heard estimates that the World Diamond Council has earmarked a $15-plus-million spin campaign to deep-six Blood Diamond’s impact by underwriting informational Web sites, position papers, international confabs, high-profile newspaper ads, new marketing from J. Walter Thompson, and PR from Hollywood’s Allan Meyer. In the past, Meyer has been on the side of the angels, albeit rich angels, handling such hot-button political movies as Steven Spielberg’s Munich and Brian Grazer’s The Da Vinci Code. But for the past year, his job consists of crushing Zwick’s movie and its message. He disavowed to me any World Diamond Council responsibility for the Page Six items and even claims, “We and Warner Bros. have no fundamental disagreements.” But Meyer did outline recently for NPR exactly how to plan an anti-pic campaign, and, from the looks of things, it was followed to a tee: “Tell your story first... Get out in front of the release so you frame the issue... Start planning your response 12 to 18 months before the movie comes out... Start talking about the issues that matter to you in a context that has nothing with the movie.”

After seeing a leaked script, Meyer met with Warner’s PR. But I also have in hand a copy of a letter addressed to Zwick jointly from the chairmen/CEOs of the WDC and the international diamond watchdog group known as Kimberley Process, respectively, It specifically asks the director to include a “written broadcast message at the end of the film, and in accompanying promotional language” — in other words, a disclaimer — “to provide some acknowledgment of the huge changes that have occurred in the diamond trade since 1999” in Sierra Leone. (Interestingly, tacked to the end of the October 23 Page Six item was a denial that De Beers had ever demanded the disclaimer. True, it wasn’t De Beers but the WDC that asked for one — although the diamond cartel does provide most of the funding for the trade lobbying group.)

What Page Six, or any media hasn’t written, is, as I first reported on DeadlineHollywoodDaily.com: what really happened on the set of Blood Diamond.

The production arrived in Africa ready to film for the next four months in two places: South Africa’s South Zulu Nataal and Mozambique’s Maputo. “To be there is to want to do something. So, to be in those places for that length of time, you can’t help but be moved by what you see every day,” Zwick told me. “And all of us together just talked about what we ourselves could do. And knowing all the while that would turn out to be a drop in the bucket compared to the needs all around us. But the need was so great.”

At the suggestion of the Mozambique production manager Nick Laws, cast and crew contributed to a fund. “There was no twisting of arms. And then we asked the studio to match it, which they agreed to,” Zwick recalled. The “Blood Diamond Fund” totals in the six figures. I’ve heard varying numbers, ranging from $200,000 up to $500,000. “That may seem trivial,” Zwick emphasized, knowing how mean that seems compared to, say, the tens of millions of dollars Leo earns on big studio films, “but the Blood Diamond production was also pumping as much as $40 million straight into the local economy. Cash for building roads, hiring drivers, paying for hotel accommodations. When you make a film in a place where the need is desperate, money is like a shot in the arm of the local economy.” Since its inception, and continuing even now past the end of filming, the fund is being administered by a Maputo-based international accountancy firm under the supervision of Laws and João Ribeiro, the production managers in Mozambique.

So far, says Zwick, “The fund has targeted specific needs in those villages, and some neighborhoods that were more impoverished where we had worked. To wit: One neighborhood was in terrible need of a well being dug, another neighborhood needed help with a septic system, still another had to repair road damage that was making it hard for villagers to go to and from work, still another needed a classroom repaired, and so on. And replacement of prosthetics was among the them.”

Zwick and Warner Bros. told me the fund hasn’t finished assessing needs or administering funds, and filling more prosthetic needs is on the list. While the studio maintains it made no specific promise to provide prosthetics to every extra who needed them, it assured me that money from the fund has already gone to children’s organizations that disperse prosthetics. All of the dough raised from Blood Diamond premieres in the U.S. and England will go to related charities.

But the diamond industry has a lot more to worry about than Leo and Jennifer and Ed and Paula’s pic. These days, a fresh wave of MCs is backing away from the urban stylin’ promulgated by Simmons et al. Both Lupe Fiasco, in “Diamond Conflict,” and Kanye West, in “Diamonds From Sierra Leone,” sing the same anti-war-for-profit message. Soon, very soon, bling may no longer mean cha-ching.
town
i can't hold out
forever
even walls fall
down

HiKwelity
Member since Sep 24th 2002
4119 posts
Wed Dec-06-06 10:38 AM

34. "One assumption I feel safe making"
In response to Reply # 20

I don't know about everything that's been said by both sides, but one thing I'm pretty sure about... De Beers is shady as fuck and not to be trusted.

MANHOODLUM
Charter member
27788 posts
Mon Dec-25-06 06:10 PM

65. "A diamond...and anything involved in it's worth....is shady"
In response to Reply # 34

Granted, they might be limited, but so is water.

It's the projection that they are worth something that they are not.

I guess people and perception give the diamonds their monetary worth.

They created this image that a diamond is one-in-a-million, and made it a symbol of love...something necessary for a female, commitment, and status. Then they take this symbol, give it an image of it being rare, and priceless, and open the flood gates...mark up the prices.

Even as a kid, I was never one of jewelry...not even gold. i don't knock it...alot of jewelry looks real nice. I can admire the craftsmanship, if anything.

I just always felt that admiring, and paying out of my ass for, something shiny is similar to a monkey grabbing as anything shiny.

E-Boogs and Nayi

MANHOODLUM
Most sig'd okp.
No Aliases.

MANHOODLUM via Twitter
MANHOODLUM@live.com
MANHOODLUM@yahoo.com
Tommy Moran @ Facebook
MANHOODLUM@tmo.blackberry.net

Premiere
Member since Sep 02nd 2005
2177 posts
Fri Nov-03-06 04:36 AM

21. "In America, they call it bling bling; here, we call it bang bang"
In response to Reply # 0

What a hilariously bad line.

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Fri Nov-03-06 06:17 AM

22. "Yeah, that shit is terrible."
In response to Reply # 21
Fri Nov-03-06 06:18 AM by ZooTown74

And I love how that line just happens to be included in the NBA audience-targeted ads for the movie. I haven't seen that line or that version of the commercial during any other shows...
town
i can't hold out
forever
even walls fall
down

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Wed Nov-22-06 02:58 AM

24. "UPDATE: having seen the movie, it works within the context of"
In response to Reply # 22
Wed Nov-22-06 02:58 AM by ZooTown74

the scene in which it appears.

Too bad Warner Bros. made the boneheaded decision to place it wily-nily in the commercials for the film... if people weren't already turned off by the subject matter, that line may put them over the top...

theodore909
27 posts
Sat Nov-25-06 05:59 PM

28. "RE: UPDATE: having seen the movie, it works within the context of"
In response to Reply # 24

i didn't read yall comments, but i just have to say blood diamond is direct bite from kanye's song...

smutsboy
33301 posts
Sun Nov-26-06 09:29 PM

31. "um......."
In response to Reply # 28

>i just have to say blood
>diamond is direct bite from kanye's song...

rambunctious
Charter member
13496 posts
Mon Nov-27-06 12:58 AM

32. "no it's not. the term "blood diamond" was in usage long before this..."

movie was even thought of.

the legendary sigs:

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49415 posts
Wed Dec-06-06 03:14 PM

36. "You don't read much do you?"

>i didn't read yall comments, but i just have to say blood
>diamond is direct bite from kanye's song...

Your one of those cats who get their education from raps songs aren't you. Just cause that's were you heard it first doesn't mean it wasn't it circulation prior to Kanye. Read more.

There will never be a level playing field. You need to learn to run uphill.

Every man must know Teedra Moses http://www.myspace.com/teedramoses

theodore909
27 posts
Sat Nov-25-06 06:00 PM

30. "RE: In America, they call it bling bling; here, we call it bang bang"

anybody who still uses the term "bling bling" should be shot. i hate it when ppl try to sound cool and shit.

stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6740 posts
Wed Dec-06-06 06:26 PM

40. "It could have worked if he had taken it further"

"In America they call it bling, bling. Here we call it bling, bang, bong, boom, bam, beep, boop, bap, bleep, --machine gun noises with mouth--giant explosion sound with mouth--siren noise with mouth-- bop... bip...

boop...

beep."

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

Chike
Charter member
32916 posts
Sun Dec-10-06 04:10 AM

47. "not to mention anachronistic"

The term had NO mainstream recognition at the time at which the movie was set. Some of the rebels you see in the filom may have been Cash Money fans and so maybe they knew, but a non-American white guy saying "bling bling" to a white American woman and expecting her to know what he was talking about? Impossible.

will_5198
Charter member
63108 posts
Fri Feb-09-07 09:28 PM

66. "that's what I was thinking"
In response to Reply # 47

it wasn't a bad line in the context of the movie but the term itself is like the Aztecs in Apocalypto saying "he's fucked"

--------

biscuit
Charter member
8682 posts
Thu Dec-21-06 03:02 AM

59. "it was actually "bling bang", but I got it."

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

*Effasig*

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Wed Dec-06-06 02:03 AM

33. "Saw it tonight"
In response to Reply # 0

Thought it was good enough, if a little flawed. I liked how they explored HOW kids go from being kids to soldiers like that; it was one of the more interesting aspects of the film.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

smutsboy
33301 posts
Wed Dec-06-06 12:31 PM

35. "Was Leo DiCap tolerable?"
In response to Reply # 33

I want to see it but it conflicts with my strict hating-Leo policy.

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Wed Dec-06-06 06:12 PM

39. "Yes, but I think he's a great actor"
In response to Reply # 35

The accent was a bit much at times but otherwise he did okay.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

smutsboy
33301 posts
Thu Dec-21-06 10:32 AM

63. "Leo has become a good actor"
In response to Reply # 39

but around the time of Titanic and before that he played the same character in every movie. so while he was a good actor, it didn't make him great.

in the past 5-6 years he's had some great performances and my hatred has gone way down

dula dibiasi
Member since Apr 05th 2004
21925 posts
Wed Dec-06-06 07:13 PM

41. "his performance was great (djimon's too) and the accent was fine."
Wed Dec-06-06 07:17 PM by dula dibiasi

15 minutes into the film you won't even notice it

if a complete unknown had given the exact same performance, ppl would think he was an actual zimbabwean

niggas'll still hate tho, cuz it's TITANIC LEO

guy's one of the top 2 or 3 actors of our generation
and cats are STILL mad cuz their girlfriend in high school wanted to bang him

side note: connelly was pretty solid too
i'd have liked to have seen blanchett or samantha morton (my 2 favorites) in that role tho

oh and salute to general ether, rocking over the end credits (SHINE ON 'EM, SHINE ON 'EM)

___

it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. - sherlock holmes

Melanism
Charter member
20450 posts
Sun Dec-10-06 11:00 AM

49. "Up there with one of his best performances ever."

Yeah, I said it.

Vette
Charter member
9685 posts
Sun Dec-10-06 12:40 PM

50. "I have the same Leo policy and I thought he was pretty good"

I was a little disappointed in the under-utilization of Djimon though. overall the movie is worth the 11 bucks.

<--- Still reppin' the Bay
Life. Love. Music:
http://vettievette.wordpress.com
http://sistamatikdjs.wordpress.com

BreezeBoogie
Charter member
7903 posts
Sun Dec-17-06 07:04 PM

56. "performance was GREAT. he and Djimon killed it."

n/m

-----------------------
"I'm so glad I got my own
I'm so glad that I can see
my life's a natural high
the man can't put no thing on me" (c) Curtis Mayfield

biscuit
Charter member
8682 posts
Thu Dec-21-06 03:04 AM

60. "Ha, I was with you on that..."

but this is his best work, wierd semi-convincing accent and all.

*Effasig*

da_afrocentric_pimpstah
Member since Jun 28th 2005
366 posts
Wed Dec-06-06 09:52 PM

42. "Why should DeBeers care?"
In response to Reply # 0

It's only a fictional film.

>This is sounding like something I want to see. And I've
>heard from a reliable source that a prominent rapper (whom I
>won't name, and it's not Russell Simmons or Kanye West, if you
>figure it out, great, but you won't get a 'yay' or 'nay' from
>me) was said to have been "moved to tears" after seeing the
>movie, and met with the director to see what he could do to
>contribute to the film. The article is from the L.A. Times:
>
>>Crystallizing opinion
>
>The gem trade, fearing sales won't sparkle, campaigns against
>`Blood Diamond.'
>
>By Elizabeth Snead
>Special to The Times
>
>October 10, 2006
>
>"BLOOD DIAMOND," Ed Zwick's film starring Leonardo DiCaprio,
>Djimon Hounsou and Jennifer Connelly, doesn't open until Dec.
>15, but it's already getting more free publicity than Warner
>Bros. could have dreamed of. Set in the late '90s when rebel
>militias seized control of Sierra Leone's diamond mines,
>selling rough gems to buy weapons they used to slaughter and
>mutilate many thousands of innocent people, "Blood Diamond"
>tells a fictional tale of two South Africans, a white
>mercenary and a black fisherman, who find a rare pink diamond.
>But even two months before its release the film has spurred
>talk that it could turn consumers off to buying diamonds for
>fear their money would be supporting murderers.
>
>De Beers, the international diamond cartel that controls the
>majority of the world's diamonds, has gone on the offensive to
>try to distance the industry from the history depicted in the
>film. But according to Ken Sunshine, Leonardo DiCaprio's
>publicist, those connected with the movie feel the stepped-up
>public relations efforts have backfired for De Beers. "I hope
>they keep on publicizing the controversies and our 'Blood
>Diamond' movie," Sunshine said.
>
>For his part, Zwick says he's been pleased with the attention.
>"The changes that have come about in regard to the conflict
>diamond trade … came about because of increased attention on
>the issue. If the film can continue to increase awareness, it
>will have surpassed my expectations."
>
>Indeed, as Bonnie Abaunza, Los Angeles-based director of
>Amnesty International's celebrity outreach program, points
>out, the media is covering so-called "conflict diamonds" more
>now than when Sierra Leone's bloody civil wars were actually
>taking place. "It's amazing that all this attention is on
>conflict diamonds when no one has even seen the film yet," she
>said. Amnesty International is steadily recruiting celebrities
>in an effort to use the film to focus attention on human
>rights questions that still surround the diamond industry. For
>example, Abaunza said, she recently screened "Blood Diamond"
>for hip-hop entrepreneur Russell Simmons, who works with De
>Beers on his line of diamond jewelry.
>
>As early as last fall, De Beers head Jonathan Oppenheimer
>expressed concern that the film might hurt Christmas and
>Valentine's Day sales. He asked the filmmakers to add a
>disclaimer stating that the events in the film are fictional
>and in the past and that, thanks to the Kimberley Process,
>which the industry put in place to document where diamonds
>come from, conflict diamonds end up on the market only very
>rarely. The filmmakers declined to add it.
>
>De Beers then hired PR big-guns Sitrick and Co., which
>specializes in Hollywood scandals, while the diamond industry
>also mounted a PR campaign — full-page ads in newspapers and
>online — to explain the industry's efforts to control the
>supply and sale of blood diamonds. "The PR campaign was never
>designed to fight the film," said a member of the World
>Diamond Council publicity team, who asked not to be identified
>but added that the industry was happy that the issues were
>being discussed. The publicity campaign, he said, "was
>designed to educate consumers about a story we should have
>told years ago."
>
>*
>
>Bushmen's plea
>
>In September, unbeknown to Warners, another player entered the
>diamond PR war: the Kalahari Bushmen of Botswana, who were
>evicted by the government of Botswana from their land, where
>De Beers is exploring for diamonds.
>
>The Bushmen, whose advocates say that De Beers' Botswana
>diamonds should be considered conflict diamonds, took out a
>full-page ad in Variety, asking for help from DiCaprio. It
>read, in part: "Friends have told us that you are in a film,
>'Blood Diamond,' which shows how badly diamonds can hurt. We
>know this. When we were chased off our land, officials told us
>it was because of the diamond finds. Please help us, Sir."
>
>More international headlines were made when, after the Bushmen
>ad ran in Variety, Survival International, on behalf of the
>Bushmen, asked model Linda Evangelista to step down as the new
>face of De Beers, and asked Mohammed Fayed not to let De Beers
>open a concession in Harrod's in London.
>
>Warner Bros., meanwhile, has done no publicity for the film,
>save releasing the trailer last week. It was a tightly closed
>set while shooting in Africa, which only finished a few months
>ago. Only a few critics have seen the still-unfinished film,
>and studio reps are tight-lipped on details of their publicity
>plans. In September 2005, De Beers' Oppenheimer expressed
>concerns about the film to diamond dealers and retailers at an
>industry convention in Cape Town, South Africa.
>
>"Can you imagine its impact on the Christmas-buying audience
>in America if the message is not carried through that this is
>something of the past?" Oppenheimer asked. "That this is
>something that has been managed and taken care of?"
>
>In February 2006, Kago G. Moshashane, the deputy secretary of
>Botswana's Ministry of Minerals, Energy and Water Resources,
>and Eli Izhakoff, chairman of the World Diamond Council, sent
>a joint letter to Zwick asking the filmmaker to show how mine
>owners have reduced the Sierra Leone conflict diamond trade.
>But on June 27, Zwick told Eonline, "We're all aware of the
>Kimberley Process. The movie details the events of 1999 and
>our facts are in order. And we're not negotiating with anyone
>as to the content of our movie and we'll make the movie as we
>see fit."
>
>*
>
>Public relations effort
>
>In September, the diamond industry began its
>multimillion-dollar campaign to "educate consumers" about the
>Kimberley Process. But to some observers, the very scale of
>the costly campaign has raised suspicion. "The
>multimillion-dollar PR campaigns, full-page ads in major
>newspapers, outreaches to consumers and journalists with their
>new website (www.diamondfacts.org)…. Oddly, none of this is
>working in their favor. Everyone is asking, 'Why are they
>doing this? What do they fear?' " Abaunza said.
>
>The Kimberley Process, which the diamond industry insists has
>reduced blood diamonds to 1% of stones sold, has been
>criticized by Amnesty International and Global Witness for
>being ineffective and corrupted. Amy O'Meara of Amnesty
>International's Business and Human Rights Program described it
>as fundamentally flawed. "There is no effective way to track
>the stones from point of origin to point of sale," she said.
>"They need an auditable tracking system. The diamond industry
>is asking us to take them at their word. That's not good
>enough. There is so much money at stake and so many hands in
>the pot. It's easy for the system to be corrupted."
>
>The Kimberley Process came under attack last week when the
>Government Accounting Office (GAO) recommended that the
>diamond industry and the U.S. government do more to stop
>conflict diamonds from entering the U.S. The GAO report
>acknowledged that the legitimate trade of rough diamonds can
>help African economies, but it added that rough diamonds
>remain a major cause for concern. Even the Department of
>Homeland Security is getting into the act. According to a
>Reuters report last week, the department released a response
>to the GAO report, pledging to work with the State Department
>to record detailed information about diamonds entering this
>country, as well as conducting periodic random examinations of
>diamond shipments.
>
>*
>
>Casualties of war
>
>Those who have seen the film say that the industry has good
>reason to be nervous. A dozen real child amputees are seen in
>the film, victims of the civil wars fueled by the conflict
>diamond trade. And the film also focuses on other casualties
>of the wars: millions of refugees and thousands of child
>soldiers, young boys stolen from their families and trained to
>kill and perform atrocities. The ending of the film states
>that there are still 200,000 child soldiers in Africa.
>
>The film also depicts an international diamond cartel named
>Van Der Kaap that knowingly buys conflict stones from rebels
>and mercenaries and stockpiles the gems in their European
>vaults to stop them from flooding the gem market and causing a
>drop in diamond prices.
>
>De Beers has long been criticized for being a monopoly and has
>been banned for a decade from operating in the U.S. for
>violating antitrust laws. The company settled a 2005 U.S.
>class action lawsuit for $250 million. The suit accused the
>company of illegally restraining trade, limiting diamond
>inventories and falsely advertising the scarcity of diamonds
>to boost prices.
>
>Those who support strengthening the Kimberley Process are
>encouraged by the "Blood Diamond" buzz. "There's been a lot of
>progress this year since the media has stepped up their
>coverage of the issue," O'Meara said.
>
>The issues surrounding conflict diamonds will get strong
>support from the film's stars at the Dec. 12 premiere, which
>may involve Amnesty International and Global Witness. "We're
>still in the process of working out details," a company
>spokesperson said. "But it's safe to say that they will be
>involved in some way." Amnesty and Global Witness will also
>co-host an event in Los Angeles on Nov. 14, where they expect
>representatives from the Diamond Council as well. And AIUSA
>will be hosting special screenings on 10 campuses around the
>country to mobilize youthful activists.
>
>" 'Blood Diamond' is real entertainment but it's also a Trojan
>horse," Abaunza said. "Our hope is that after people see this
>powerful film, they will want to find out more about these
>issues and what they can do to help."
>__________________________________________________________________________
>DE-FENSE!
>*boom boom*
>DE-FENSE!
>*boom boom*

"I am what I defend" Don Cheadle quoting an African proverb before Skippy Gates, all puppy eyed, told him about is genetic ancestry.

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Thu Dec-07-06 12:23 AM

44. "The connection isn't hard to make"
In response to Reply # 42

An internationally known Dutch-named diamond company . . . people can put 2 and 2 together.

------

Sofian_Hadi
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
5628 posts
Wed Dec-06-06 10:31 PM

43. "Djimon wins Best Supporting Actor (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

IMDB.com

In firing the opening shot of this year's awards season, the National Board of Review went with a bit of a surprise, giving its Best Picture honor to Clint Eastwood's Letters from Iwo Jima, a Japanese-language release that was originally slated for early 2007 but bumped up just a few weeks ago. The movie's English-language companion piece, Flags of Our Fathers, was released in October to mixed reviews and middling box office, and had been expected to be a major Oscar contender this year. While it didn't rate a major award, Flags did receive a spot in the group's top ten films of 2006. Two other surprises were had in the supporting categories as well, with Djimon Hounsou winning for Blood Diamond and Catherine O'Hara named for her comedic turn in For Your Consideration. As for the other major categories, heavy hitters prevailed, with early Oscar faves Forest Whitaker (The Last King of Scotland) and Helen Mirren (The Queen) taking lead honors, Martin Scorsese (The Departed) winning Best Director, Volver named as Best Foreign Film, and Cars and An Inconvenient Truth taking animated and documentary honors, respectively. In terms of omissions, the most notable was the absence of Dreamgirls from the group's top ten films of the year, a list that included The Devil Wears Prada, The History Boys, and Little Miss Sunshine, among others. Almost always the first group to hand out awards, the National Board of Review is made up of film professionals, teachers, students and historians.

The top ten films of the year as named by the National Board of Review: Letters from Iwo Jima, Babel, Blood Diamond, The Departed, The Devil Wears Prada, Flags of Our Fathers, The History Boys, Little Miss Sunshine, Notes on a Scandal and The Painted Veil.

---------------------------------------

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

dula dibiasi
Member since Apr 05th 2004
21925 posts
Thu Dec-07-06 12:37 AM

45. "well deserved. he was awesome."
In response to Reply # 43

i'm still mad he got jerked for amistad (should've at least gotten nominated)

hopefully he, forest, jennifer + yonce can sweep @ the oscars (BLAAAAAAAACK!!!!!!!)

___

it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. - sherlock holmes

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Thu Dec-07-06 12:53 AM

46. "He really made Blood Diamond great"
In response to Reply # 45

In America, too.

------

FireBrand
Charter member
145739 posts
Sun Dec-10-06 04:51 AM

48. "Botswana is not happy."
In response to Reply # 0

ATL: Count Bass D & Collective Efforts
Audobon Society on the 1's & 2's. Jan. 18th. @ The Earl.
"How can you judge what I feel in me?" <--Common
www.myspace.com/northernarcatl
www.worldfamousmag.com

Melanism
Charter member
20450 posts
Mon Dec-11-06 08:56 PM

51. "The battles continues (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/gossip/story/479080p-403029c.html

Bad 'Blood' between Simmons and Zwick

Africa has spawned a new civil war - this time between hip-hop mogul Russell Simmons and Ed Zwick, director of the new Leo DiCaprio drama "Blood Diamond."

Simmons just returned from a nine-day fact-finding mission to South Africa and Botswana after an invitation from the industry's Diamond Information Center. Simmons came away with mostly positive impressions of how the diamond business has improved the lives of the poor there.

But Zwick suggests that DeBeers and other companies used Simmons as their PR puppet. "I find it embarrassing for Russell Simmons," Zwick told us.

Take Simmons' conclusion that the sale of "conflict diamonds" - used to finance the continent's bloody wars - has dropped to less than 1% since the Kimberley Process was set up in 2003 to stop the vicious trafficking in those gems.

"That's a funky number," Zwick said at his movie's Hollywood premiere. "That number comes from diamonds that are mined in countries that are 'war-declared.' Conflict diamonds are also mined in countries where there is not a 'declared war.' If you want to know about conflict diamonds, you don't go to Botswana and South Africa. You go to Sierra Leone and Angola. … Russell Simmons is being embarrassed."

"Damnit," said Simmons, when we relayed Zwick's dig. "Why did he say that?"

The music and fashion honcho admitted that his observations help to improve the image of DeBeers, which supplies his Simmons Jewelry. "They're smart businesspeople," he said. "But to suggest I'm a sellout is wrong. I'm not here to defend the past of these companies. I'm here to talk about the current reality. Diamonds pay for education and medical treatment in Africa."

Simmons charges that Zwick's movie, set in ­Sierra Leone in the 1990s, "scares people away from diamonds. That's why Nelson Mandela sent a message to Warner Bros. reminding them that Africans are depending on diamonds to rebuild their countries."

Speaking of scaring people, "Blood Diamond" co-star Djimon Hounsou told us that DiCaprio may have saved his life when an armed man came after him at a restaurant in South Africa.

"He was threatening me," Hounsou told us. "He showed his gun in the holster. He was telling Leo what he wanted to do to harm me. Leo said to the guy, 'Come on, man. Talk to me. What did he do to you?' Eventually found out he didn't have any reason. It was just his jealousy. So Leo talked him out of it."

DiCaprio didn't want to make a big deal out of the incident, saying only: "I'm very proud of this movie. … This film can actually translate into social change."

ncr2h
Member since May 07th 2005
1224 posts
Wed Dec-13-06 02:38 PM

53. "HAHHAHAHAHAA"
In response to Reply # 51

>"Damnit," said Simmons, when we relayed Zwick's dig. "Why did
>he say that?"

Man, that just sounds like he KNOWS he's wrong.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Sun Dec-17-06 12:46 AM

54. "This movie was good, but they lay the preachiness on THICK."
In response to Reply # 0

It's no wonder the movie ain't doin so well.

Nobody wants to watch scene after scene of heavyhanded narration of "How can Americans buy diamonds with a clean conscience?" while showing tortured and slaughtered African children.

The acting was very good, as was the cinematography. But I found it all to be very heavyhanded (a lot of screaming in a film is an indicator of this). Hounsou I thought was more over-the-top than he normally is.

Also, without getting into spoilers, there are decisions characters make that would CLEARLY be the wrong choice and would CLEARLY just be suicide, but they do anyway simply to prolong the dramatic tension.

Overall, good movie, but Zwick laid it on very very thick.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

biscuit
Charter member
8682 posts
Thu Dec-21-06 03:11 AM

61. "The truth hurts."
In response to Reply # 54
Thu Dec-21-06 03:13 AM by biscuit

Americans can't handle the truth.

They like their conflict diamonds, Wal Mart prices and slaughterhouse cheeseburgers.

I wonder if you think "Hotel Rwanda" or "Shindler's List" laid it on thick?

*Effasig*

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Sun Dec-17-06 05:16 PM

55. "Enjoyed it, the performances were great"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Dec-17-06 05:22 PM by LA2Philly

LeoDi was AMAZING ya'll.....I mean just ridiculous, the accent and just how he carried himself....great.

The supporting roles were both excellent in Djimou and Connely, although the former was somewhat over the top at times. The action scenes were far more than I expected, and VERY exciting.

I enjoyed it alot, the 'message' was laid on pretty thick like Longo mentioned above me.

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

sithlord
Member since Aug 05th 2002
2832 posts
Mon Dec-18-06 12:23 PM

57. "Finally saw it..."
In response to Reply # 55

I don't think the messages were laid on too thick. I think they wanted to make sure the audience understood the connection between the diamond miners and the traders.

The entire cast was top notch, especially Djimon Honsou (sp?). He became more and more aggressive as the movie went on, and I appreciated that they didn't make a big battle royale between him and the captain at the end. Simple, quick and brutal.

Will the movie change anything? Let's not kid ourselves here. Personally, if I ever buy a diamond, I'll ask where it came from and if I don't like the answer, I'll keep it moving. If enough people say that much, maybe something can happen.

biscuit
Charter member
8682 posts
Thu Dec-21-06 03:16 AM

62. "My nephew and I won't ever be buying diamonds..."
In response to Reply # 0

They are cliché and trite anyway. Be original.

*Effasig*

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Sun Dec-24-06 05:22 PM

64. "decent"
In response to Reply # 0

the performances i thought were good. overall entertaining, but up there with the best of the year? nope. good movie, but not great.

will_5198
Charter member
63108 posts
Fri Feb-09-07 09:34 PM

67. "good movie. some flaws, but still good."
In response to Reply # 0

Leo was great, Djimon too, and also Jennifer C.

the score was really top notch. I don't usually mention original movie music but I thought it was excellent in this case.

--------

Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #50306 Previous topic | Next topic