Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #49161

Subject: "Spinoff: In defense of Morris Chestnutt and other young black actors" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Basaglia
Member since Nov 30th 2004
49463 posts
Wed Jan-24-07 11:35 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Spinoff: In defense of Morris Chestnutt and other young black actors"

first off, morris chestnutt, who i fuckin hate, is not a bad actor. this that bullshit i'm talkin about with this board. just because you ain't even seen some of these fucked up movies he stays making, that don't mean he's not talented. it means you don't see black movies is all. it's only so much an actor can do with bad material, no matter how great he/she is. chestnutt isn't untalented, he's misused. nigga always in urban comedies tryna hide behind his smile. he's about as funny as tom cruise. y'all don't see cruise doing comedies, do you? FUCK NO!!! he's an action/drama guy. and chestnutt is an action/drama guy. he was good in "boyz" and wack ass "ladder 49." that's the type shit he should be doing. but, a nigga gotta eat, so if black women like seeing his smiling ass in these bad comedies, he's gonna stay gettin bad comedy scripts.

now, on to the main point. there are PLENTY of incredibly talented black folk in BLACK MOVIES THAT Y'ALL THINK YOU'RE TOO GOOD TO GO SEE that y'all gonna be jockin in a few years soon as they get put in a mainstream joint...we done seen this shit time and again...from fuckin morgan freeman to denzel to don cheadle. muhfuckan don cheadle was in meteor man doing is fuckin thing and y'all wasn't on his dick back then...THEN, he put in major work in devil in a blue dress (which he shoulda got nominated for) and y'all still ain't fuck wit him and then he played earl manigault and white folk and uppity fake ass niggas STILL ain't fuck wit him...when y'all fuck wit him? boogie nights <-----THAT'S THAT BULLSHIT. oh, NOW he good?

if chestnutt was in a beast ass indy next year, y'all muhfuckas would flip like flapjacks up in here. ugh.

and i forgot who said it, but for somebody to say morris "had his shot" is EXACTLY the fuckin problem...had his shot for what? how did he BLOW his "shot"...you mean his shot to be one of the 2 or 3 niggas that can turn down script after script and ain't gotta audition for some shit they really WANT TO DO? ya know, like denzel and will, the ONLY two niggas who ain't gotta read for some shit they really WANT to do. it ain't morris fault he gotta fuckin eat...and that he's black. i'm sure he'd like to work with A-list directors and scowl-act for 3 fuckin months like marky mark, but it's just not gonna fuckin happen for him. he's a nigga and because of fucks like you who don't support black drama or black comedies not starring a big name black comic, he gotta do wack comedies to pay bills.

let's be real with this shit, folks. some of y'all got a really bad problem not recognizing a talented black performer until white folks co-sign that shit. it's disgusting. terrence howard ain't JUST get good...the muhfucka was just as charismatic and magnetic in the best man as he was in hustle and flow and crash. did any of y'all jackasses SEE the best man back in the day? morris chestnutt was in it and he held his fuckin own next to terrence in the joint...but y'all wouldn't know it.

anthony anderson. another GREAT young black actor. great comic talent, but very good overall. i can see now y'all gonna be on his dick soon.

meagan goode. i been saying it for years...one of the best young actresses out there...not just black actresses...ALL actresses. she's better than MOST of these bland ass white girls, but she rarely gets shine, given the material she gets sent her way.

n'bushe wright. amazing. but she rarely even works because she refuses to do bullshit anymore.

Steph: I was just fooling about

Kyrie: I wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Meagan Goode? Frozen Face? Acting Range Of Bas Relief?
Jan 25th 2007
meagan good was better in eve's bayou than portman in *anything*
Jan 25th 2007
      wow, that i can't agree with
Jan 25th 2007
      Agreed.
Jan 25th 2007
           that's because judith light's a great fuckin actress. you ain't said shi...
Jan 25th 2007
                RE: that's because judith light's a great fuckin actress. you ain't said...
Jan 25th 2007
                     the fact your condescending ass don't think i know judith light...
Jan 25th 2007
                          RE: the fact your condescending ass don't think i know judith light...
Jan 25th 2007
                               it just occured to me not to bother with you...
Jan 25th 2007
                                    Fiyastater's a hot site; we should collab sometime...
Jan 25th 2007
                                         LOL
Jan 25th 2007
yeah yeah we know
Jan 25th 2007
morris chestnutt is the PERFECT poster child for this campaign
Jan 25th 2007
      listen dude i watched "out all night" faithfully
Jan 25th 2007
           i didn't it...that shit was awful
Jan 25th 2007
I've been checkin' for Anthony Anderson as a "serious" actor since his.....
Jan 25th 2007
he
Jan 25th 2007
right from the gate, you lost.
Jan 25th 2007
"here i go again being wrong" AFKAP as Whitesnake's lead singer
Jan 25th 2007
      *sigh*
Jan 25th 2007
           This is nothing but truth.
Jan 25th 2007
                Who in the flying afro fuck said that?
Jan 25th 2007
                     What is "merit"?
Jan 25th 2007
                     And you can say the SAME FUCKING SHIT about WHITE PEOPLE.
Jan 25th 2007
                          I was agreeing with you
Jan 25th 2007
                     Bull and shit.
Jan 25th 2007
                          BWAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!! WRONG!!!!
Jan 25th 2007
                               RE: BWAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!! WRONG!!!!
Jan 26th 2007
I liked Anthony Anderson when he was on "Hangtime" on T-NBC
Jan 25th 2007
LoL
Jan 25th 2007
      Yeah he was Reggie Theus nephew, & son of a ex-pro.
Jan 25th 2007
      lmao
Jan 25th 2007
RE: Spinoff: In defense of Morris Chestnutt and other young black actors
Jan 25th 2007
Half Nelson was great
Jan 26th 2007
you don't comprehend what a free market is
Jan 25th 2007
oh, just shut the fuck up with these EXCUSES for avoiding black films
Jan 25th 2007
      Post over:
Jan 25th 2007
      Hey, Bill Buckner...
Jan 25th 2007
           that dennis miller shit ain't hot no more
Jan 25th 2007
                neither iz dat playground bravado
Jan 25th 2007
                     i dunno what all that was, but that dennis miller shit is pathetic
Jan 25th 2007
                          They're trying too hard.
Jan 25th 2007
                               best part about white chick was my dog terry crews. he pure comedy
Jan 25th 2007
                               is this what you and orbit discuss at your MENSA meetings?
Jan 26th 2007
                               MENSA is actually full of dumb motherfuckers.
Jan 26th 2007
                               That Cheeseburger Eddie shit is the best part of Longest Yard
Jan 26th 2007
                               ****Crickets****
Jan 26th 2007
I guarantee you that I will not be jockin
Jan 26th 2007
you're just hatin...it's pathetically obvious
Jan 26th 2007
Have You Ever Seen Daughters of the Dust?
Jan 26th 2007
      Is not knowing really hate?
Jan 26th 2007
           well, you'd think somebody
Jan 26th 2007
                DING! DING!
Jan 26th 2007
                     why do you THINK i haven't seen that movie? that's what i wanna know
Jan 26th 2007
                          Cause you didn't say that you did
Jan 26th 2007
RE: I guarantee you that I will not be jockin
Jan 26th 2007
      RE: I guarantee you that I will not be jockin
Jan 26th 2007
           lol... word... I edited...
Jan 26th 2007
Dude
Jan 26th 2007
Fam-o, Morris Chestnutt cannot act... PERIOD. He's no comparison
Jan 27th 2007
15 years ago, you wouldn't have been riding for cheadle, so save it
Jan 28th 2007
i've ridden for Howard since The Best Man
Jan 28th 2007
      cosign
Jan 29th 2007
      for all i know you coulda rode for chestnutt after Boyz like er'body els...
Jan 29th 2007
           he seeemed pretty unremarkable to me in Boyz
Jan 29th 2007
                i'm sure he does, given the context of this exchange
Jan 29th 2007
                     Don't entertain his blatant dishonesty. Not your fault niggaz cant read.
Jan 30th 2007
Pratt in da house!
Jan 29th 2007
On one had, you have a point
Jan 27th 2007
Uh. You can say the same thing for white people.
Jan 30th 2007
man you gotta post in ptp more often
Jan 30th 2007
dawg, this OKP = the home of 'different, special' black folks....
Jan 30th 2007
^^^WINNER WINNER WINNER WINNER WINNER WINNER
Jan 30th 2007
but did you think Booty Call was a good movie, Torez?
Jan 30th 2007

Yogaflame
Charter member
3010 posts
Thu Jan-25-07 12:06 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Meagan Goode? Frozen Face? Acting Range Of Bas Relief?"
In response to Reply # 0

Bound to pull a muscle reaching like that.

Basaglia
49463 posts
Thu Jan-25-07 12:08 AM

3. "meagan good was better in eve's bayou than portman in *anything*"
In response to Reply # 1

jeanlouis61
Member since Dec 02nd 2005
3416 posts
Thu Jan-25-07 12:13 AM

5. "wow, that i can't agree with"
In response to Reply # 3

she's just not believable to me.

follow me @oldirtyplaster on the Twitter thing.....i say awesome stuff

Yogaflame
Charter member
3010 posts
Thu Jan-25-07 12:14 AM

6. "Agreed."
In response to Reply # 3
Thu Jan-25-07 12:15 AM by Yogaflame

But so what? Portman's a tasteless wafer. Judith Light telegraphs more honesty in one blink of an eye than Portman has in an entire career spent sulkily preening for the mush-for-brains Emo crowd.

Goode's about as interesting as a burnt pancake.

Not saying I wouldn't smash though.

Basaglia
49463 posts
Thu Jan-25-07 12:20 AM

7. "that's because judith light's a great fuckin actress. you ain't said shi..."
In response to Reply # 6

ANYWAY...

meagan goode, imo, has never failed to rise above all the bullshit that she, as young black actress, is forced to take. shit like deliver us from eva is trash...but, hell, so is the breakup. the fact that she rises above wack material and is incredible when given a good material SHOULD give you the fuckin hint that she's a prettt good actress.

Yogaflame
Charter member
3010 posts
Thu Jan-25-07 12:32 AM

8. "RE: that's because judith light's a great fuckin actress. you ain't said..."
In response to Reply # 7

You have no idea who Judith Light is, do you?

Anyone with a modicum of talent or perseverance can rise above anything and shine. I knew this kid growing up, Jesse. He had Down's Syndrome and was pushed into this drama presentation we had to do in eleventh grade. Everyone in his group conspired to make it nothing shy of an epic embarrassment for him - messing with his lines, fucking up his cues, hiding his props, etc, etc. But he ended up soldiering on, did the best he could, and came out looking like a hero.

So, by that estimation, Meagan Goode is Down's Syndrome Jesse.

Basaglia
49463 posts
Thu Jan-25-07 12:38 AM

9. "the fact your condescending ass don't think i know judith light..."
In response to Reply # 8

...is EXACTLY the problem i have with board fulla wannabe industry fucks.

i know her well enough to know she gettin shine in the fuckin rags that you read for her role in save me...i know that fuckin much. did YOU KNOW she was a great actress BEFORE that?

the rest of the bullshit you talkin is indictive everything wrong with this board. you don't know shit, so you fake it with snarky asides.

spare me, please.

Yogaflame
Charter member
3010 posts
Thu Jan-25-07 12:48 AM

12. "RE: the fact your condescending ass don't think i know judith light..."
In response to Reply # 9

Put Christy Turlington in a Hi-8 short made by some pothead film school jagoff who couldn't out-write a Bazooka Joe strip. If she so much as doesn't die from embarrassment, she's risen above the material.

Rising above subpar material does not a great actor make.

Get?

Basaglia
49463 posts
Thu Jan-25-07 12:52 AM

13. "it just occured to me not to bother with you..."
In response to Reply # 12

Yogaflame
Charter member
3010 posts
Thu Jan-25-07 12:59 AM

14. "Fiyastater's a hot site; we should collab sometime..."
In response to Reply # 13

I got the beginnings of a great piece, In Defense of Mark Curry: The Quiet Genius Of Hangin' With Mr. Cooper.

DrNO
Charter member
25381 posts
Thu Jan-25-07 06:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
28. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 14

_
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4TztqYaemt0
http://preptimeposse.blogspot.com/

Dreadmedia
Charter member
34785 posts
Thu Jan-25-07 12:08 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "yeah yeah we know"
In response to Reply # 0

I mean if you gonna wave this flag i hardly think moris chesnut is the posterboy but yeah fine

nobody supports good shit nukkas gotta eat bread and butter bread and butter

Basaglia
49463 posts
Thu Jan-25-07 12:10 AM

4. "morris chestnutt is the PERFECT poster child for this campaign"
In response to Reply # 2

because y'all snarky muhfuckas really don't know shit about much and you haven't even seen the guys best work.

Dreadmedia
Charter member
34785 posts
Thu Jan-25-07 12:38 AM

10. "listen dude i watched "out all night" faithfully"
In response to Reply # 4

so you preaching to the choir

Basaglia
49463 posts
Thu Jan-25-07 12:42 AM

11. "i didn't it...that shit was awful"
In response to Reply # 10

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44719 posts
Thu Jan-25-07 01:24 AM

15. "I've been checkin' for Anthony Anderson as a "serious" actor since his....."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jan-25-07 01:24 AM by mrhood75

...recurring role on "The Shield." And I don't even think they used him to his potential on that. Hopefully, he'll continue to take roles that don't ask for him to play things as broad.

And it is a shame N'Bushe Wright never got more work. Casting directors should have been banging down her door after "Fresh" and "Dead Presidents."

Speaking of "Fresh," what the fuck happened to Sean Nelson? He had a lot of talent, and now it looks like he only gets work playing suspect and "Law & Order" shows.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Shaun_G
Charter member
3009 posts
Thu Jan-25-07 12:41 PM

22. "he"
In response to Reply # 15

recently did one of those truth.com anti-smoking commercials.

Shaun G.

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Thu Jan-25-07 08:04 AM

16. "right from the gate, you lost."
In response to Reply # 0

the point of the other post was not whether or not Morris Chestnutt is "a bad actor."

it was about whether or not he "deserves" to be a major Hollywood leading man.

based on his past work/box office, the answer is NO.

end of story.

as for this:

>now, on to the main point. there are PLENTY of incredibly
>talented black folk in BLACK MOVIES THAT Y'ALL THINK YOU'RE
>TOO GOOD TO GO SEE that y'all gonna be jockin in a few years
>soon as they get put in a mainstream joint...we done seen this
>shit time and again...from fuckin morgan freeman to denzel to
>don cheadle. muhfuckan don cheadle was in meteor man doing is
>fuckin thing and y'all wasn't on his dick back then...THEN, he
>put in major work in devil in a blue dress (which he shoulda
>got nominated for) and y'all still ain't fuck wit him and then
>he played earl manigault and white folk and uppity fake ass
>niggas STILL ain't fuck wit him...when y'all fuck wit him?
>boogie nights <-----THAT'S THAT BULLSHIT. oh, NOW he good?

Don Cheadle got plenty of acclaim for Devil in a Blue Dress because he put in a good performance in a good movie.

if he didn't get acclaim for Meteor Man, it's because he put in a .... well, i don't evn remember how his performance was, but i know that Meteor Man was not that great of a movie.

and if he didn't get enough acclaim for Devil in a Blue Dress, it's because enough people didn't see that movie when it first came out.

so now you're mad because people notice actors in their breakthrough movies?

basically, your argument is that we should praise ALL Black actors who act in mediocre movies JUST IN CASE they breakthrough later so we can say we were down with them back when they were in crappy movies.

and that's silly.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

Basaglia
49463 posts
Thu Jan-25-07 10:18 AM

20. ""here i go again being wrong" AFKAP as Whitesnake's lead singer"
In response to Reply # 16

>the point of the other post was not whether or not Morris
>Chestnutt is "a bad actor."
>it was about whether or not he "deserves" to be a major
>Hollywood leading man.

NOOOOOOOPE!!!! this is that same lame ass tactic niggas always use on this board...set up another premise from the one you need to be addressing and pretend that's the one that's been offered to you. WELL, NO!

my point is "there are PLENTY of incredibly talented black folk in BLACK MOVIES THAT Y'ALL THINK YOU'RE TOO GOOD TO GO SEE that y'all gonna be jockin in a few years soon as they get put in a mainstream joint..."

morris chestnutt is black and he HAS BEEN the lead in BLACK MOVIES. see, that's the kinda mentality we dealing with here. because he ain't the lead in movies YOU want to see that means he's not a leading man. fuck outta here. i already made the point that there are really only two black leading men, so what the fuck are you talking about?

>based on his past work/box office, the answer is NO.

muhfucka, besides will and d-dub, what black man is. do you really think you got a fuckin point here?

>end of story.

indeed.

>as for this:
>
>>now, on to the main point. there are PLENTY of incredibly
>>talented black folk in BLACK MOVIES THAT Y'ALL THINK YOU'RE
>>TOO GOOD TO GO SEE that y'all gonna be jockin in a few years
>>soon as they get put in a mainstream joint...we done seen
>this
>>shit time and again...from fuckin morgan freeman to denzel
>to
>>don cheadle. muhfuckan don cheadle was in meteor man doing
>is
>>fuckin thing and y'all wasn't on his dick back then...THEN,
>he
>>put in major work in devil in a blue dress (which he shoulda
>>got nominated for) and y'all still ain't fuck wit him and
>then
>>he played earl manigault and white folk and uppity fake ass
>>niggas STILL ain't fuck wit him...when y'all fuck wit him?
>>boogie nights <-----THAT'S THAT BULLSHIT. oh, NOW he good?
>
>Don Cheadle got plenty of acclaim for Devil in a Blue Dress
>because he put in a good performance in a good movie.

where was the hardware, muhfucka? shit, sean nelson got "acclaim" in fresh...he ain't get no hardware.

>if he didn't get acclaim for Meteor Man, it's because he put
>in a ....

meteor man was a piece of shit. i was just being silly to make people mad at that point...and the point is I SAW IT, because i support black cinema. period. all these excuses about "oh, it's not good...i ain't paying my money for something that ain't good"...fuck outta here. y'all go see NOT GOOD shit every friday.

well, i don't evn remember how his performance was,
>but i know that Meteor Man was not that great of a movie.
>
>and if he didn't get enough acclaim for Devil in a Blue Dress,
>it's because enough people didn't see that movie when it first
>came out.

*SMH* you are making my point, man. exactly, right. enough people didn't see it when it came out. it was a "BLACK" movie.

>so now you're mad because people notice actors in their
>breakthrough movies?

breakthrough? you mean WHITE FOLK APPROVED...you are making my points for me.

>basically, your argument is that we should praise ALL Black
>actors who act in mediocre movies JUST IN CASE they
>breakthrough later so we can say we were down with them back
>when they were in crappy movies.

nope. my point is y'all fake ass people cannot identify talent for shit and y'all just instinctively shit on black hollywood.

>and that's silly.

your mentality is toxic.

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Thu Jan-25-07 11:00 AM

21. "*sigh*"
In response to Reply # 20
Thu Jan-25-07 11:15 AM by AFKAP_of_Darkness

>NOOOOOOOPE!!!! this is that same lame ass tactic niggas always
>use on this board...set up another premise from the one you
>need to be addressing and pretend that's the one that's been
>offered to you. WELL, NO!

here is the original post made by jeanlouis:

>yeah, I know some people are going to give me the "Duh". but
>I just think that a lot of people really arent getting their
>due. Yeah, I dont know the full story of who turned down what
>role and why so and so is taking such silly roles, but I dont
>understand why Don Cheadle isnt in a major film as the lead.
>I don't understand why Morris Chesnut, after all these years,
>is still just the fifth name in a mixed race movie. Why hasnt
>hallie had anything credible since her OScar? Why does it
>seem that Will and Denzel are the only actors getting major
>roles? Am I right, or am I missing something?

the question was about why Morris Chestnutt has not played more significant leading roles in Hollywood movies. THAT is what it's about... not whether or not he is a "good actor."

if YOU are interested in discussing the merits of Mr. Chestnutt's acting, that is fine. make your post about it... but don't advertise the post as being a spinoff of jeanlouis's post and then get mad when i point out that that's not what jeanlouis was even talking about.

>my point is "there are PLENTY of incredibly talented black
>folk in BLACK MOVIES THAT Y'ALL THINK YOU'RE TOO GOOD TO GO
>SEE that y'all gonna be jockin in a few years soon as they get
>put in a mainstream joint..."

if that's your point, fine. it wasn't the point of the post you claim to be spinning off of, but that's okay.

and to respond to your point: me personally... i'm not interested in watching (what i think of as) bad movies, whether they are black or white. i'm sure there are many great actors in bad movies, waiting for their big break to work with better material.

when they ARE in better material, i will watch them. and i won't apologize for not spending my money on bad movies just because they were in them.

>morris chestnutt is black and he HAS BEEN the lead in BLACK
>MOVIES. see, that's the kinda mentality we dealing with here.
>because he ain't the lead in movies YOU want to see that means
>he's not a leading man. fuck outta here. i already made the
>point that there are really only two black leading men, so
>what the fuck are you talking about?

the question here is "what are YOU talking about, Bags?" (see above)

>>based on his past work/box office, the answer is NO.
>
>muhfucka, besides will and d-dub, what black man is. do you
>really think you got a fuckin point here?

exactly. and that was the answer jeanlouis got in the post that you are supposedly piggybacking off of here... but for some reason, he didn't accept that and neither did you.

but now, all of a sudden, you are AGREEING with the post that "people like me" were making in the other post.

so... what ARE you talking about here, Bags?

>>Don Cheadle got plenty of acclaim for Devil in a Blue Dress
>>because he put in a good performance in a good movie.
>
>where was the hardware, muhfucka? shit, sean nelson got
>"acclaim" in fresh...he ain't get no hardware.

what do you mean by "hardware"? statues?

>>if he didn't get acclaim for Meteor Man, it's because he put
>>in a ....
>
>meteor man was a piece of shit. i was just being silly to make
>people mad at that point...and the point is I SAW IT, because
>i support black cinema. period. all these excuses about "oh,
>it's not good...i ain't paying my money for something that
>ain't good"...fuck outta here. y'all go see NOT GOOD shit
>every friday.

and herein lies the crux of the issue (besides your tendency to say stupid shit just "to get people mad" and then expect to be taken seriously):

the central ideological dilemma that we are facing here - and that we face in just about every discussion about Black cinema - is whether or not we should be "supporting Black cinema" unconditionally.

you say yes. bignick says no. me... i say that i'm not a rich man and i got a lot of movies i want to see, but i don't have unlimited loot to spend on movies that i don't think are good or i'm not interested in, just because "support" Black cinema.

10 years ago, i had the exact same point of view that you do, though. i watched every goddam thing that could be described as a "Black movie" and i aggressively encouraged other people to do the same.

i remember the exact moment i stopped doing that, though: it was when that email circulated around the Black community urging people to "support" Trois.

i'm sure you've seen that movie, so i don't have to tell you what a mess that turned out to be, on multiple levels.

to cut a long story short, though, from that day i resolved that i will support Black movies (and ALL movies) based on their merit. because watching any piece of mess just because it's got niggers in it does NOT make for better Black films.

>>and if he didn't get enough acclaim for Devil in a Blue
>Dress,
>>it's because enough people didn't see that movie when it
>first
>>came out.
>
>*SMH* you are making my point, man. exactly, right. enough
>people didn't see it when it came out. it was a "BLACK"
>movie.

now... your experience might be different from mine, but i clearly remember when that movie came out. i was begging everybody to see it, not just because it was a Black film, but because it was a "non-hood" Black film, and was actually pretty good.

i was able to encourage a lot of white people to check it out... but most Black people in my age group that i talked to about it refused to see it not because it was a Black film, but because it was the "wrong" kind of Black film for them.

"i don't watch classics," was something i heard a lot of people say.

by "classics," they meant movies that were either old or were set in an "old" period. shit that's not contemporary... shit that don't have a hip-hop soundtrack.

let's be real... you remember the 90s, don't you? for a long time, it was kinda hard to get (young) Black audiences to support Black movies like Devil in a Blue Dress, The Glass Shield, and even Eve's Bayou (which a lot of people caught up with on video and cable, not in the theater).

it's not because they were Black films, though.

>>so now you're mad because people notice actors in their
>>breakthrough movies?
>
>breakthrough? you mean WHITE FOLK APPROVED...you are making my
>points for me.

no... it means that Boogie Nights was a much better movie than Meteor Man (which you admit was garbage), and the movie about The Goat wasn't even a theatrical release.

so yes... Boogie Nights was a great showcase for Don Cheadle of a kind that he had hardly gotten before. (even though white critics had praised him in Devil in a Blue Dress)

>nope. my point is y'all fake ass people cannot identify talent
>for shit and y'all just instinctively shit on black hollywood.
>
>
>>and that's silly.
>
>your mentality is toxic.

funny, because i also think your mentality is toxic... for quality Black movies.

and like i said, i used to be there... hell, if you search far enough back in the archives, you might even find some posts where i was expressing the kind of views that you are now.

but ultimately, i think that it just kinda leads to lower standards for Black people... which i find insulting.

i got no beef with anybody wanting to see a movie they know is sub-par just because it's got Black people, though. i LOVE seeing Black people on-screen. i used to watch all the UPN shows even though i knew they kinda sucked, just because i wanted to see my beautiful Black people on-screen.

but that was network TV, though... that shit's free. spending $10 on movie tickets to (what *I* think of as) sub-par Black movies? that shit adds up, brother...

(btw... Anthony Anderson gets major love for both his performances in Hustle & Flow and "The Shield"... are you gonna blame people for not giving him similar love for Kangaroo Jack or even Me, Myself and Irene?)

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Thu Jan-25-07 12:58 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
23. "This is nothing but truth."
In response to Reply # 21

>to cut a long story short, though, from that day i resolved
>that i will support Black movies (and ALL movies) based on
>their merit. because watching any piece of mess just because
>it's got niggers in it does NOT make for better Black films.

I'll be glad when more black folks start getting this shit through their head.

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Thu Jan-25-07 05:01 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
26. "Who in the flying afro fuck said that?"
In response to Reply # 23
Thu Jan-25-07 05:02 PM by Orbit_Established

I mean, seriously, you niggaz make us look
very, very, bad around here.

>>to cut a long story short, though, from that day i resolved
>>that i will support Black movies (and ALL movies) based on
>>their merit. because watching any piece of mess just because
>>it's got niggers in it does NOT make for better Black films.

>I'll be glad when more black folks start getting this shit
>through their head.

Uh.

I can say the EXACT same thing about
white people.

Remember 'Titanic(a wet bag of poorly edited, cliche,
garbation)' made a BILLION dollars worldwide, and
wasn't no niggaz responsible for that.

Stop blaming niggaz for shit white people do as bad,
or worse. The phenomenon of motherfuckers supporting
films for dumb reasons hasn't a thing to do with
black people. We didn't start that problem, and aren't more
guilty of it than anyone else.

So miss me with that shit, nigga.

Mang!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

----------------------------

O_E: Your Super-Ego's Favorite Poster.

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "Cosmic Slop

SoulHonky
Member since Jan 21st 2003
25919 posts
Thu Jan-25-07 05:42 PM

27. "What is "merit"?"
In response to Reply # 26
Thu Jan-25-07 05:46 PM by SoulHonky

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest was a snoozefest and made a billion dollars worldwide.

Most people don't want to watch "quality" movies. They want entertainment.

The only thing you can really say is that black people with money should look to invest in more intelligent fare and build up a black art house movement to help young actors and directors. (For instance, Elton Brand shouldn't be making movies with Paris Hilton in them) But to blame the black audience is off because the audiences in general don't have "taste".

Personally, I can't say anyone is stupid for wanting to see Stomp the Yard because I've been looking forward to Smokin' Aces. I can say that the producers have a great track record or something but its getting shit reviews and I'm still probably going to see it this weekend.

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Thu Jan-25-07 06:45 PM

31. "And you can say the SAME FUCKING SHIT about WHITE PEOPLE."
In response to Reply # 27

>Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest was a snoozefest
>and made a billion dollars worldwide.

Right, funded, largely, by WHITE PEOPLE.

Shouldn't wealthy WHITES invest more in
arthouse cinema too instead of this bullshit?

Yes, they should, actually.

Yes, and white artsy fartsies will say the shit. They
won't, however, say its white people's fault, because
we know better than to pin cultural problems on white
people. We don't know better in the case of black folks,
however, and so do that whole "black folks need to do this
and that" bullshit all the time, often without a grain
of MERIT.

>Most people don't want to watch "quality" movies. They want
>entertainment.

Right, BOTH white AND black people.

I'm stlll waiting for something specifically black
about this problem.

>The only thing you can really say is that black people with
>money should look to invest in more intelligent fare and build
>up a black art house movement to help young actors and
>directors. (For instance, Elton Brand shouldn't be making
>movies with Paris Hilton in them) But to blame the black
>audience is off because the audiences in general don't have
>"taste".

If we are going to play the BLAME GAME, than what
about the WHITE PEOPLE WITH MONEY who don't want to
touch intelligent black cinema? Its easier to make
dumb ignorant black shit because of WHITE PEOPLE,
not only because of BLACK PEOPLE.

Black people came out in DROVES to see 'Malcom
X' and that shit was two days long.

Even when it came to television:

Black people watched 'New York Undercover' more
than they did 'Homeboys in Outer Space'. You'd never
know it, however, from how we summarize the tastes
of black people.

Much more recently, black people came out and saw 'Idlewild'
which, to me, was a very intelligent film. White people, however,
did not.

Black people's movie tastes aren't NEARLY as bad
as they're being portrayed, relative to white people's.

Americans in GENERAL like dumb shit.

Nothing black about bad taste.

>Personally, I can't say anyone is stupid for wanting to see
>Stomp the Yard because I've been looking forward to Smokin'
>Aces. I can say that the producers have a great track record
>or something but its getting shit reviews and I'm still
>probably going to see it this weekend.

Right, and you are the whitest person in the universe.

You're also probably not broke, nor will you be alone
in that movie, and so you, and your white friends should
all not watch that movie and invest in more arthouse
white films.

I mean, I don't, for the life of me, understand where
all these smelly double standards come from....no...I
take that back...I understand where they come from, I just
don't get why the fuck they are able to persist when they
are so, at best.

Shit is wack, god.

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Thu Jan-25-07 08:07 PM

35. "I was agreeing with you"
In response to Reply # 31
Thu Jan-25-07 08:10 PM by SoulHonky

Not sure why you were getting so heated. You were arguing the points that I was making (although I'm not sure where or when I became the whitest person in the universe)

And as for this:

"If we are going to play the BLAME GAME, than what
about the WHITE PEOPLE WITH MONEY who don't want to
touch intelligent black cinema? Its easier to make
dumb ignorant black shit because of WHITE PEOPLE,
not only because of BLACK PEOPLE. "

This isn't a blame game, it's a fact of the world. White people aren't going to make intelligent black film. It's not going to happen. You can sit around and ask why black producers should do it if white producers don't and then never get anything. African-Americans who do have money and some power should, IMO, once in a while, invest in a young black filmmaker or young actors or, at the very least, some intelligent material. (And for the record, white producers/actors should invest in strong material as well and try to bring some quality non-commercial fare to the cinemas)

----
NBA MOCK DRAFT #1 - https://thecourierclass.com/whole-shebang/2017/5/18/2017-nba-mock-draft-1-just-lotto-and-lotta-trades

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Thu Jan-25-07 06:37 PM

30. "Bull and shit."
In response to Reply # 26
Thu Jan-25-07 06:39 PM by bignick

I've had this very same debate with people on this board dozens of times.

>I can say the EXACT same thing about
>white people.
>Remember 'Titanic(a wet bag of poorly edited, cliche,
>garbation)' made a BILLION dollars worldwide, and
>wasn't no niggaz responsible for that.

But white people go see the quality movies too. Black people bitch and moan about how we are represented on screen, but when someone produces a well-written, well-acted, engrossing adult movie...black folks stay away in droves.
Period.

It's called show BUSINESS.

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Thu Jan-25-07 07:01 PM

34. "BWAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!! WRONG!!!!"
In response to Reply # 30
Thu Jan-25-07 07:06 PM by Orbit_Established

>I've had this very same debate with people on this board
>dozens of times.

>But white people go see the quality movies too. Black people
>bitch and moan about how we are represented on screen, but
>when someone produces a well-written, well-acted, engrossing
>adult movie...black folks stay away in droves.
>Period.

Actually, there's a reason that Lee, Spike, fella has a
solid career, and that's because black people STILL
see his shit. There's a reason he had to branch out
and start making all this eclectic shit(25th Hour, etc):

To get more WHITE people to see his shit.

'Get on the Bus', for example, was one of the most
creative films I've ever seen.

White people didn't show up for that shit. I saw it in the
theatre. Shit was packed.

With BLACK people.

But this is all besides the point of why you're an imbecile:

You are allowing white people to have
more diversity to represent their "whiteness" than you are
black people to represent our "blackness."

For example, you recognize that there are ignorant whites
who support dumb shit. You also recognize that there are
intelligent whites, who don't.

The problem is: You are synopsis-sizing black people by
only our most ignorant, and aren't doing that for white
people.

Case and point(true story):

A girl I know has brother who made a really good, arty film two years go.
it hit the film festival circuit, did well, the whole nine. I saw it. Very
brilliant. he poured his heart and soul into it.

He's white, and the film didn't come CLOSE to getting picked up for release.

Not even close. Everyone loved the film. No financial backing for a release.

Now, I talked to him about it.

DId he make a claim that:

"Man, the white community needs to start supporting more
arthouse work."

No.

Why?

Was he not white?

Would he have had an argument if he was to say that the money
spent on bullshit in Hollywood was in part responsible for the
fact that his thoughtful and arty film wasn't able to be picked up? Do
white people not, largely, bankroll the bullshit in Hollywood that
he was referring to(they do)?

He sure would have.

Now,

Just IMAGINE if this whiteboy was BLACK.

He would have met the SAME FATE, except he woulda
RAN HIS MOUTH about how "my shit didn't get picked up
because black people don't support my aftful film. They
only like that bling-bling gangster shit. Fuck my people, yo."

Double standard.

BOTH white AND black filmmakers who make ARTFUL FILMS
HAVE VERY DIFFICULT TIME.

Now I know the REAL reason there is a discrepancy in the
amount of white arthouse shit and black arthouse shit:

The REAL SITUATION IS AS FOLLOWS:

a)There are more whites with money

b)There are more whites with money who like art

c)There are more white film executives, hollywood or arty

d)There are more white movie goers than black movie goers

e)There are more white arty movie goers than black arty movie
goers

All of this equates to MORE WHITE ARTY MOVIES AND HOLLYWOOD
MOVIES getting out there than black ones.

It does NOT demonstrate a FUNDAMENTAL CULTURAL characteristic
of white people that suggests they, AS A WHOLE appreciate artful
things more than black people. Not true. Appreciating art is generally
a thing of the comfortable ECONOMIC CLASS REGARDLESS of race. When
you see that whites are, ON AVERAGE, more wealthy than blacks, you all
of a sudden see why they are better represented in artistic circles. Black
comfy folks LOVE them some arty. Love art. Just check the comfy
black circles of Park Slope or Fort Green in Brooklyn -- it these neigborhoods
specifically that gave birth to the Spike Lee-types.

^^^^This correct explanation has, again, nothing to do with
anything fundamentally different about black and white people
CULTURALLY.

Mang!!!!!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH!!!!!

Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Fri Jan-26-07 06:00 PM

55. "RE: BWAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!! WRONG!!!!"
In response to Reply # 34
Fri Jan-26-07 06:00 PM by Solarus

^^Real Talk

I think that is all that really needs to be said. But I'm waiting to see a rebuttal to this.

"the real pyramids were built with such precision that you can't slide a piece of paper between two 4,000 lb stones, and have shafts perfectly aligned so that you can see a tiny aperture through dozens of these mammoth blocks

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Thu Jan-25-07 08:13 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
17. "I liked Anthony Anderson when he was on "Hangtime" on T-NBC"
In response to Reply # 0

Before that I didn't know an obese dude could hoop like that, but his character Teddy showed me anything is possible..

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66746 posts
Thu Jan-25-07 09:55 AM

18. "LoL"
In response to Reply # 17

I loved hangtime BUT i think there was some tism involved in him gettin on the team. Wasnt he the coaches nephew or somthin like that.

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Thu Jan-25-07 10:01 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
19. "Yeah he was Reggie Theus nephew, & son of a ex-pro."
In response to Reply # 18

Teddy would Make It Rain on them Hoes from the 3pt range.

BlaQ Pimpernel
Member since Oct 18th 2004
11257 posts
Thu Jan-25-07 04:35 PM

25. "lmao"
In response to Reply # 18

<<<---...and a child shall lead them.
Tsietsi Mashinini - Leader of the June 16 1976 Soweto Uprising

Education is OUR passport to the future. For tomorrow belongs to the people that prepare for it today ©Malcolm X

Dariusx
Member since May 29th 2002
1174 posts
Thu Jan-25-07 01:21 PM

24. "RE: Spinoff: In defense of Morris Chestnutt and other young black actors"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm feeling all your points man. Anthony Mackie is in this situation right now as well. Even though I have a minority (pun intended) opinion I loved him and the movie "She Hate Me." I have been checking out some of his other work as well. I missed "Half Nelson" though.

There is no support for African-American movies really. They have to be totally great or have some kind of gimmick for African-Americans to see them. Right now you have Tyler Perry movies doing well. The ghetto comedies are really the only ones that can make some money. You have the community complaining about lack of quality but when there are some comedic movies out there (such as Catch A Fire or back a few years Antwone Fisher) they do not do well.

Nettrice
Charter member
61747 posts
Fri Jan-26-07 12:22 AM

43. "Half Nelson was great"
In response to Reply # 24

Mostly because of the young newbie actress. Anthony was alright.

<--- Blame this lady for Nutty.

DrNO
Charter member
25381 posts
Thu Jan-25-07 06:37 PM

29. "you don't comprehend what a free market is"
In response to Reply # 0

If people keep on paying to see shitty "urban" comedies that's what they'll keep on making instead of quality films. Why? Because they don't require effort, money or talent.
So by supporting that shit you're just decreasing the chance that they're going to make a quality black film where these actors you claim are brilliant could have a chance to shine.

_

Basaglia
49463 posts
Thu Jan-25-07 06:46 PM

32. "oh, just shut the fuck up with these EXCUSES for avoiding black films"
In response to Reply # 29

how many times do you have to hear a black actors and directors thank those who had to do blaxploitation and all kinds of coonery for paving the way and building enough of an INTEREST in black movies so that they can make they kinda movies they want and play the kinda parts they want.

so, spare me your bullshit.

i refuse to buy into this idiotic thinking that borat is any fuckin less stupid than white girls. it just so happens i liked borat better because it was actually funny, but i still support the wayans bros.

and then y'all muhufuckas who talk shit about how your sitting around WAITING to support a worthy black film DO NOT GO SEE SHIT LIKE AKEELAH AND THE BEE. y'all are some fake ass niggas and i get tired of these bullshit replies.

DrNO
Charter member
25381 posts
Thu Jan-25-07 06:55 PM

33. "Post over:"
In response to Reply # 32

>i refuse to buy into this idiotic thinking that borat is any
>fuckin less stupid than white girls. it just so happens i
>liked borat better because it was actually funny, but i still
>support the wayans bros.

_

Yogaflame
Charter member
3010 posts
Thu Jan-25-07 08:16 PM

36. "Hey, Bill Buckner..."
In response to Reply # 32

...there's a bloop grounder of reality rolling past you.

Basaglia
49463 posts
Thu Jan-25-07 08:20 PM

37. "that dennis miller shit ain't hot no more"
In response to Reply # 36

Yogaflame
Charter member
3010 posts
Thu Jan-25-07 08:23 PM

38. "neither iz dat playground bravado"
In response to Reply # 37

Basaglia
49463 posts
Thu Jan-25-07 08:35 PM

39. "i dunno what all that was, but that dennis miller shit is pathetic"
In response to Reply # 38

buckner? grounder of reality? shit's a reach.

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Thu Jan-25-07 10:12 PM

40. "They're trying too hard."
In response to Reply # 39

>buckner? grounder of reality? shit's a reach.

Lol. Terrible.

Plus, 'White Chicks' was brilliant, and only
intellectually secure people like me and you
can admit it(I'm not sure if you thought it
was brilliant, but you'd admit it if you did. These
homos wouldn't, just because it doesn't make
them feel smart).

Basaglia
49463 posts
Thu Jan-25-07 10:29 PM

41. "best part about white chick was my dog terry crews. he pure comedy"
In response to Reply # 40

i'm workin on a joint now and i based a character on that dude. i fucks with him. he's one of the most slept on comic actors i've ever seen.

when that nigga starts dancing, it's over for me...i be crying. nigga's a damn fool.

and he's a good actor, too. but these hankyhead ass niggas here would never know it.

DrNO
Charter member
25381 posts
Fri Jan-26-07 12:15 AM

42. "is this what you and orbit discuss at your MENSA meetings?"
In response to Reply # 41

_

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Fri Jan-26-07 08:05 PM

57. "MENSA is actually full of dumb motherfuckers."
In response to Reply # 42

I'm pissed I actually went to a meeting once. Didn't pay my acceptance
dues though.

Everyone is actually very insecure, which is why
they feel the need to join MENSA. Niggaz like me and Bags are busy
being smart in real life.

Asiaticon >>>> Mensa

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Fri Jan-26-07 09:53 PM

59. "That Cheeseburger Eddie shit is the best part of Longest Yard"
In response to Reply # 41

Dude needs to get more work. But he already be popping up in mad shit. He's a scene stealing ass dude though.

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Fri Jan-26-07 05:14 PM

50. "****Crickets****"
In response to Reply # 40

>
>Plus, 'White Chicks' was brilliant, and only
>intellectually secure people like me and you
>can admit it

Nettrice
Charter member
61747 posts
Fri Jan-26-07 12:27 AM

44. "I guarantee you that I will not be jockin"
In response to Reply # 0

Meagan Goode. Jurnee Smollett had more talent in her pinky finger than Meagan (in Eve's Bayou) and where is she right now?

>n'bushe wright. amazing. but she rarely even works because she
>refuses to do bullshit anymore.

I agree with this.

Next: Have you ever seen Daughter's of the Dust?

Basaglia
49463 posts
Fri Jan-26-07 05:17 AM

45. "you're just hatin...it's pathetically obvious"
In response to Reply # 44

Nettrice
Charter member
61747 posts
Fri Jan-26-07 02:23 PM

46. "Have You Ever Seen Daughters of the Dust?"
In response to Reply # 45

Or know who made it.

If not that's the worse kind of hate (hate for Black female filmmakers who make Black movies). :/

SoulHonky
25919 posts
Fri Jan-26-07 02:52 PM

47. "Is not knowing really hate?"
In response to Reply # 46

To me, someone not seeing a film and saying, "Shit, what is that movie?" is one thing.

Someone not seeing a film and saying, "That movie is shit" is another and more hateful.

----

DrNO
Charter member
25381 posts
Fri Jan-26-07 03:31 PM

48. "well, you'd think somebody"
In response to Reply # 47

so adamant about supporting quality black films would know.

_

Nettrice
Charter member
61747 posts
Fri Jan-26-07 05:09 PM

49. "DING! DING!"
In response to Reply # 48

>so adamant about supporting quality black films would know.

Basaglia
49463 posts
Fri Jan-26-07 05:51 PM

54. "why do you THINK i haven't seen that movie? that's what i wanna know"
In response to Reply # 49

why do y'all artsy fake eclectic niggas think y'all the ONLY kinda niggas that *like* artsy shit?

i saw it in school...at howard...a place so overrun with fake artsy niggas that i can't stand to be around other black folks who share my musical and cinematic tastes, even if they are sincere. because niggas like that go around asking other black folk have they seen daughters of the dust like they're asking "have you been to the moon?"

fuck outta here

Nettrice
Charter member
61747 posts
Fri Jan-26-07 09:36 PM

58. "Cause you didn't say that you did"
In response to Reply # 54

Clear it up, answer the question...don't keep me guessing.

>why do y'all artsy fake eclectic niggas think y'all the ONLY
>kinda niggas that *like* artsy shit?

Man, I don't fall for that "fake eclectic nigga" ish...cuz I'm Black ya'll, I'm Blackity Black and I'm Black, ya'll (thanks CB4). I am artsy because I am an artist and I respect quality art whether it's "fake eclectic" or not. Life's too short for anything else and since you don't know me I make it clear I am not a "nigga" and I am worthy of quality.

>i saw it in school...at howard...a place so overrun with fake
>artsy niggas that i can't stand to be around other black folks
>who share my musical and cinematic tastes, even if they are
>sincere. because niggas like that go around asking other black
>folk have they seen daughters of the dust like they're asking
>"have you been to the moon?"

Well, I saw it on my own and it really spoke to me as a Black woman. A proud Black woman...but do you, guy!

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Fri Jan-26-07 05:25 PM

51. "RE: I guarantee you that I will not be jockin"
In response to Reply # 44
Fri Jan-26-07 05:41 PM by ZooTown74

>Jurnee Smollett had more talent in her pinky
>finger than Meagan (in Eve's Bayou) and where is she right
>now?

Probably getting ready for her next role... which, come to think of it, should be Cinnamon whenever the folks behind the Easy Rawlins movies gets to Cinnamon Kiss... nonetheless, the point is, she's working:

http://imdb.com/name/nm0810619/?fr=c2l0ZT1kZnx0dD0xfGZiPXV8cG49MHxrdz0xfHE9anVybmVlIHNtb2xldHR8ZnQ9MXxteD0yMHxsbT01MDB8Y289MXxzYz0wfGh0bWw9MXxubT0x;fc=1;ft=6;fm=1

And as DA FELLAS (and any ladies who are so inclined) can see, she's just as fine -- if not finer -- than Meagan Good (no e)...

Nettrice
Charter member
61747 posts
Fri Jan-26-07 05:33 PM

52. "RE: I guarantee you that I will not be jockin"
In response to Reply # 51

>And as you can see, she's just as fine -- if not finer -- than
>Meagan Good (no e)...

lol...I don't care about her looks but do your thing!

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Fri Jan-26-07 05:34 PM

53. "lol... word... I edited..."
In response to Reply # 52
Fri Jan-26-07 05:43 PM by ZooTown74

(DAMN, she fine... and only 19)...

Starbaby Jones
Member since Mar 08th 2003
5034 posts
Fri Jan-26-07 06:33 PM

56. "Dude"
In response to Reply # 0

A lot of movies period suck. I'm not giving my money to any movie that doesn't deserve it. I understands people gotta eat, but some of those choices affect their career. You don't think it tarnishes Meagan Goode's good work (Eve Bayou, Brick, even Stomp the Yard), when she does shit like Waist Deep?

Nobody should be feeling sorry for Morris Chestnutt, dude sells tickets. Not on a Jamie Foxx, Will Smith level, but he is a box office draw. If he wasn't he wouldn't still be working. That goes for a lot actors in the Black cinema scene. I get the feeling that a lot of people would rather stay in their lane, instead of taking lesser roles to breakthrough in White America. That's cool, just don't expect me to support everything that comes out. I'll go see Stomp the Yard or a Drumline. It was the vanguard of artistic expression, but it was entertaining. I'll be damned if I go see something like Waist Deep agian though. That goes for "artsy" movies too. Hell, people tried to sell me on Something New just because it was quasi-artsy and directed by a Black woman, but I thought that shit was horrible...and I work for the studio that distributed that shit.

Also, its not like I'm dismissing Black movies in lieu of seeing a Dane Cook movie. If shit is garbage, it's garbage. Movie tickets are way to high to be paying for some bullshit.Period.

http://soundcloud.com/forestbrooks

kysersozey
Charter member
13602 posts
Sat Jan-27-07 04:41 AM

60. "Fam-o, Morris Chestnutt cannot act... PERIOD. He's no comparison"
In response to Reply # 0

too Cheadle. Morris has been in the game over 15 years and played a major role in at least 10 movies... and his presence was forgetable in everyone of them. I mean, he literally got out acted by Steven Seagal... how does that happen? Cheadle on the other hand steals in every movie he's played in... he actually brings a character to life and makes them believable. Cheadle is an actor's actor, Morris is a dark skinned Shemar Moore... simply put, eye candy to draw women, no different than Kenya Moore drawing men to the ticket booth.

As far as "holding his own" next to Terrance Howard in the Best Man... you gotta be kidding. His performance was a distant second to last place because he edged out Monica Calhoun. Terrance clearly stole that movie. Taye Diggs best scene was getting smacked by Nia Long, and that alone surpassed Morris' entire performance. Morris is just a below average actor imo. I'm really surprised he's lasted this long.

N'bushe Wright... she kinda suspect, *shrugs* but okay

Meagan Good... *shrugs* okay... I'm not sold on her, because she chooses roles next to subpar actors(other than Eve's Bayou).

anthony anderson... He's been thorough since Hang Time, so I completely cosign him.

Basaglia
49463 posts
Sun Jan-28-07 09:13 PM

62. "15 years ago, you wouldn't have been riding for cheadle, so save it"
In response to Reply # 60

all it will take is ONE praised performance is some "mainstream" movie and you'll shut the fuck up about chestnut.

18 months ago, y'all wasn't riding for howard either.

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Sun Jan-28-07 09:43 PM

63. "i've ridden for Howard since The Best Man"
In response to Reply # 62

apart from Liris Crosse's ass, he was pretty much the only thing i found memorable about that movie

well... that, and Morris Chestnutt's complete emotional vacuity

kysersozey
Charter member
13602 posts
Mon Jan-29-07 03:23 PM

64. "cosign"
In response to Reply # 63

Basaglia
49463 posts
Mon Jan-29-07 04:23 PM

65. "for all i know you coulda rode for chestnutt after Boyz like er'body els..."
In response to Reply # 63

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Mon Jan-29-07 04:29 PM

66. "he seeemed pretty unremarkable to me in Boyz"
In response to Reply # 65

i remember thinking he was handsome (no homo) and that he seemed like a big meathead jock playing a big meathead jock. he was aiight, but nothing to make me say "THIS is a kid to watch!"

see... it's just like i said: you seem to believe that we should big up ALL Black actors unconditionally so that just in case they blow up later, we can say "we wuz down with 'em since..."

Basaglia
49463 posts
Mon Jan-29-07 05:08 PM

68. "i'm sure he does, given the context of this exchange"
In response to Reply # 66

and i'm sorry it SEEMS like i'm out to praise all black actors.

just saying black actors have just as much right to get paid off bad movies as white ones...and without getting SHIT on for it.

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Tue Jan-30-07 07:45 AM

70. "Don't entertain his blatant dishonesty. Not your fault niggaz cant read."
In response to Reply # 68
Tue Jan-30-07 07:56 AM by Orbit_Established

>and i'm sorry it SEEMS like i'm out to praise all black
>actors.

Bullshit.

It doesn't, at all, seem like youre out to praise all black actors.

All one must do to understand this is actually read your posts.

AKFAP doesnt care to do that, because....he's AFKAP. I'm not
in the mood to tell his story, but I'm sure you understand
his gimmick by now.

>just saying black actors have just as much right to get paid
>off bad movies as white ones...and without getting SHIT on for
>it.

You've said that and about 50 other sensible things in here.

If motherfuckers don't want to read and debate what you
ACTUALLY said, then tell them to go to hell. Don't be
taking responsibility because niggaz is irresponsible and
illiterate.

Nettrice
Charter member
61747 posts
Mon Jan-29-07 04:30 PM

67. "Pratt in da house!"
In response to Reply # 60

Gotta rep for Terrence...another way of saying I know the guy.

Olu
Charter member
17835 posts
Sat Jan-27-07 11:30 AM

61. "On one had, you have a point"
In response to Reply # 0

there are a lot of talented black actors in bullshit roles.

On the other hand, they are bullshit roles.

I mean, Devil in a Blue Dress was a great movie and a great role, I agree.

Meteor Man though? B- at best. Same for Best Man, Two can Play That Game etc. And those are at the upper end of commercial black moviemaking.

Black movies that get greenlighted suck about 70-80% of the time. Hence you can't really see the talent of the actors shine through the horrendous writing and questionable production values

sidenote: Meagan Goode? Really? I'd rate her as mid grade. I've been wrong before though.

http://www.last.fm/user/Olu/
http://ghanageek.wordpress.com/

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Tue Jan-30-07 07:51 AM

71. "Uh. You can say the same thing for white people."
In response to Reply # 61

>Black movies that get greenlighted suck about 70-80% of the
>time. Hence you can't really see the talent of the actors
>shine through the horrendous writing and questionable
>production values

a)80% of white movies that get greenlighted suck too. Hell,
white movies that WIN OSCARS suck. 'Titanic' made 1 billion
worldwide, and it was a 3 hour love story between a cherubic
hearthrob peasant and a pristine princess. That movie was awful
and everyone who doesn't want to fuck Dicaprio knows it deep
down inside. That not only got greenlighted, it got 200 million
dollars of studio money-greenlighted.

The "bad movie gets greenlighted" phenomenon has nothing
to do with black people.

The #1 movie in America this week is 'Epic Movie' which
is WORSE than 'Stomp the Yard' whose success
everyone except Basaglia attributed to lack of black values
in film appreciation. I hear no one saying the same thing
about white people this week(except me, of course).

>sidenote: Meagan Goode? Really? I'd rate her as mid grade.
>I've been wrong before though.

You mean like Gweneth(sp?) Paltrow mid-grade?

kayru99
Member since Jan 26th 2004
16105 posts
Tue Jan-30-07 12:38 AM

69. "man you gotta post in ptp more often"
In response to Reply # 0

you miss some funny shit, often.

Great post, btw

Torez
Charter member
19262 posts
Tue Jan-30-07 10:03 AM

72. "dawg, this OKP = the home of 'different, special' black folks...."
In response to Reply # 0

the double standard between how some
black okp's judge black films versus
white films is so obvious as to really
not even be worth talking about no more...

at first, i used to chalk it up to
'different strokes', as in 'some
folks like sarah silverman, cool,
she's just not my cup of tea...'

but the general level of hate for
'bad black art' versus 'bad white
art' is so overwhelmingly higher
that i can't even lie to myself
about it no more....

thing is, i don't even confront
folks about it anymore, either,
because all they do is deny it
by saying

1.) well, i don't care about
white folks (while rocking
a napolean dynamite t-shirt)

or

2.) its more crucial for black
folks, so we have to have a
higher standard...

but yeah....overall, i agree
with you, because the very same
folks that black folks CLOWN
at one point in their careers
(see: jamie foxx in booty call,
or shawn wayans in don't be a menace),
will soldier on and get acclaim
later on...ONCE GIVEN A CHANCE.
(see: jamie in ray or shawn in
requiem of a dream)

a lot of us are quick to write
folks off, but its whatever...

haters gon' hate (c) puff
WWW.TYPEILLYPRESS.COM <-- buy product
http://blog.myspace.com/mtorez <--- recent exploits

<--- JUNIOR THE HUSTLEMAN
cover art by MTOREZ

Orbit_Established
52934 posts
Tue Jan-30-07 10:19 AM

73. "^^^WINNER WINNER WINNER WINNER WINNER WINNER"
In response to Reply # 72
Tue Jan-30-07 10:20 AM by Orbit_Established

>the double standard between how some
>black okp's judge black films versus
>white films is so obvious as to really
>not even be worth talking about no more...
>
>at first, i used to chalk it up to
>'different strokes', as in 'some
>folks like sarah silverman, cool,
>she's just not my cup of tea...'
>
>but the general level of hate for
>'bad black art' versus 'bad white
>art' is so overwhelmingly higher
>that i can't even lie to myself
>about it no more....
>
>thing is, i don't even confront
>folks about it anymore, either,
>because all they do is deny it
>by saying
>
>1.) well, i don't care about
>white folks (while rocking
>a napolean dynamite t-shirt)
>
>or
>
>2.) its more crucial for black
>folks, so we have to have a
>higher standard...
>
>but yeah....overall, i agree
>with you, because the very same
>folks that black folks CLOWN
>at one point in their careers
>(see: jamie foxx in booty call,
>or shawn wayans in don't be a menace),
>will soldier on and get acclaim
>later on...ONCE GIVEN A CHANCE.
>(see: jamie in ray or shawn in
>requiem of a dream)
>
>a lot of us are quick to write
>folks off, but its whatever...
>
>haters gon' hate (c) puff
>WWW.TYPEILLYPRESS.COM <-- buy product
>http://blog.myspace.com/mtorez <--- recent exploits
>
><--- JUNIOR THE HUSTLEMAN
>cover art by MTOREZ

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Jan-30-07 10:25 AM

74. "but did you think Booty Call was a good movie, Torez?"
In response to Reply # 72

Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #49161 Previous topic | Next topic