Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #42983

Subject: "i hate inaccurate details in period pieces (eg Everybody Hates Chris)" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Oct-25-05 07:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"i hate inaccurate details in period pieces (eg Everybody Hates Chris)"

i keep seeing this promo for the Halloween episode that's showing this Thursday... Chris is dressed up as Purple Rain-era Prince

isn't this show set in 1983?

stuff like that really, really annoys me. it's part of the reason i've never been able to completely love Goodfellas

anyway, i've given up on this Everybody Hates Chris show... it's not funny

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
He said in an interview that they didnt want to narrow the time down....
Oct 25th 2005
i understand that
Oct 25th 2005
      RE: i understand that
Oct 27th 2005
           yep
Oct 27th 2005
I knew something was off about that!
Oct 25th 2005
Maybe she meant asscrackheads
Oct 25th 2005
RE: i hate inaccurate details in period pieces (eg Everybody Hates Chris...
Oct 25th 2005
It doesn't feel like Chris Rock
Oct 25th 2005
Okay, you know what, guys, please read these swipes.
Oct 26th 2005
Okay, you know what?
Oct 26th 2005
RE: Okay, you know what?
Oct 26th 2005
the fuck out of here with this plea-copping shit.
Oct 26th 2005
      Yeah, AF, I have nothing better to do with my time.
Oct 26th 2005
           i don't even know how to respond to this
Oct 26th 2005
                That's never stopped you before.
Oct 26th 2005
                     you must be reading something different here than i am
Oct 26th 2005
isn't that kinda how memory works, though?
Oct 26th 2005
that's an interesting argument.
Oct 26th 2005
      are you really watching?
Oct 29th 2005
'82, actually.
Oct 26th 2005
I gave up on Everybody Hates Chris 2 weeks ago...
Oct 26th 2005
Giving it a full season.
Oct 26th 2005
RE: Giving it a full season.
Oct 26th 2005
      Some of it is funny.
Oct 26th 2005
           RE: Some of it is funny.
Oct 26th 2005
?
Oct 26th 2005
yeah, a lot of that stuff was mad dicey
Oct 26th 2005
      just how old ARE you?
Oct 26th 2005
           I want to know that too...
Oct 26th 2005
           yeah, this really bothers me too
Oct 26th 2005
           what's even more bothersome
Oct 26th 2005
                yep, that too
Oct 26th 2005
                when did they say she was 18?
Oct 26th 2005
                i'm not sure she was supposed to be 18
Oct 26th 2005
                     it was in the book 'wiseguy'
Oct 26th 2005
                Well, they wouldn't dare do these things in this millemium.
Oct 29th 2005
                     Howard Stern is doing a remake of Porky's
Oct 29th 2005
           hah, I never even considered this
Oct 26th 2005
This is a very interesting post.
Oct 26th 2005
that shit bugged me so much in Finding Neverland
Oct 26th 2005
LOL well, if you're into real historical accuracy
Oct 26th 2005
      no, I know
Oct 26th 2005
           uhh... i haven't seen it
Oct 26th 2005
anachronism SUCKS.
Oct 26th 2005
yep, i watched every episode of that show too
Oct 26th 2005
      I just want to know...
Oct 26th 2005
           i've talked about in other posts in the past
Oct 26th 2005
                RE: i've talked about in other posts in the past
Oct 26th 2005
My biggest nitpick is with music
Oct 26th 2005
BING!
Oct 26th 2005
I made that complaint to my girl immediately after the flick
Oct 27th 2005
      LMBAO!!!!
Oct 27th 2005
      LMAO@ "seymour moment"
Oct 27th 2005
      Hahaha...This is perfect.
Oct 27th 2005
RE: My biggest nitpick is with music
Oct 26th 2005
dude your being a troll
Oct 26th 2005
IT'S REALLY FUCKING SIMPLE
Oct 27th 2005
-
Oct 27th 2005
*L*
Oct 27th 2005
      *shrugs* Whatever...
Oct 27th 2005
HERE'S SOMETHING EVEN MORE FUCKING SIMPLE
Oct 27th 2005
      doesn't disturb me...
Oct 29th 2005
           i never said the show disturbs me
Oct 29th 2005
                RE: i never said the show disturbs me
Oct 29th 2005
THERE WERE NO RED M & M'S IN 1982!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oct 29th 2005

CocoaCure
Member since Sep 23rd 2002
8926 posts
Tue Oct-25-05 07:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "He said in an interview that they didnt want to narrow the time down...."
In response to Reply # 0

but @ the same time he wanted it set in the 80's. They wanted the charecters to not look over nostalgized (i.e. the focus becoming more on what they had on and 80's trivia)as tho they were timeless. That way he can go in and out of the years as he sees fit. He just wanted to capture the essence of the time, and not the period itself.
<----- Someone’s perfect daughter.

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Oct-25-05 08:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "i understand that"
In response to Reply # 1

but then why did they say 1983 at the beginning?

i hate it when they do that vague shit, btw... when they do a flashback to the 80s and they just throw a bunch of incongruous 80s elements together - one guy has a Flock of Seaguls haircut and is dressed Miami Vice style, the black guy has a gumby with stripes on the side like it's 1988, the girl is dressed Valley Gir; style, etc

anyway, apart from all that... do you like this show? it's getting rave reviews and i really don't understand why

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

OldPro
Member since Dec 10th 2002
34401 posts
Thu Oct-27-05 04:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
57. "RE: i understand that"
In response to Reply # 2

>but then why did they say 1983 at the beginning?
>
>i hate it when they do that vague shit, btw... when they do a
>flashback to the 80s and they just throw a bunch of
>incongruous 80s elements together - one guy has a Flock of
>Seaguls haircut and is dressed Miami Vice style, the black guy
>has a gumby with stripes on the side like it's 1988, the girl
>is dressed Valley Gir; style, etc
>

LOL I used to hear my dad say this when they did shows about the 60s. Looks like TV and movies has always done this. I guess we just notice it now because it's dealing with a time period we know well.

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Thu Oct-27-05 04:57 PM

58. "yep"
In response to Reply # 57

>LOL I used to hear my dad say this when they did shows about
>the 60s. Looks like TV and movies has always done this. I
>guess we just notice it now because it's dealing with a time
>period we know well.

i mean, i notice it even in movies that are set before i was born but i guess this is ESPECIALLY glaring to me since i'm roughly the same age as the characters in the story

kurlyswirl
Member since Jul 13th 2002
16693 posts
Tue Oct-25-05 08:20 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "I knew something was off about that!"
In response to Reply # 0

>i keep seeing this promo for the Halloween episode that's
>showing this Thursday... Chris is dressed up as Purple
>Rain-era Prince
>
>isn't this show set in 1983?

They need to stop stating the year if they're not going to stay true to the time. If they just said "mid-80's," they could get away with Purple Rain and the mom's comments about crackheads. Still wouldn't excuse some of the music selections, though. lol

>anyway, i've given up on this Everybody Hates Chris show...
>it's not funny

I'm thinking about cutting it, too.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
<-------------- You need to be watching this show.

kurly's Super-Duper Awesome™ DVD Collection:
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=kurlyswirl

I be Scrobblin': http://www.last.fm/user/TasteeTreat

KangolLove
Charter member
40694 posts
Tue Oct-25-05 08:42 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Maybe she meant asscrackheads"
In response to Reply # 3

Shawn Maxam
Member since Jan 28th 2004
809 posts
Tue Oct-25-05 09:45 PM

5. "RE: i hate inaccurate details in period pieces (eg Everybody Hates Chris..."
In response to Reply # 0

I agree that it isn't funny. I have watched 4 episodes and I have laughed 3 times.

I mean it can be kinda cute sometimes because I can relate to some of the situations because I grew up in Bed-Stuy ie. Can I burrow a dollar but then they run the joke into the ground.

It's just not funny like you said.

My book of poems The Starving Artist: http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-book/the-starving-artist/6151056

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23882 posts
Tue Oct-25-05 09:58 PM

6. "It doesn't feel like Chris Rock"
In response to Reply # 0

Chris Rock can't do a good network TV show, cuz he can't use his brand of profanity. I know that it doesn't have to have profanity, but Chris Rock is supposed to flow, and there's always big pauses and absenses in between multiple characters talking.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Wed Oct-26-05 12:51 AM

7. "Okay, you know what, guys, please read these swipes."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm really sick of the bitching about the "inaccuracy" of the detail on the show. I mean, really. If the big thing you find fault with is the fact that 1982 Chris is dressing like 1984 Prince, or that 1982 Chris' broken heart was underscored with a song from 1992, then you should probably stop watching. All media.

I swear, some of you mofos are never satisfied... and before anyone chooses to play the "cop out" card, just know that these guys (Ali LeRoi, and particularly Chris Rock) have been in on the show since its inception, so they pretty much know what the hell they're talking about.

And please pay particular attention to what Chris Rock says.

First, from the aforementioned Entertainment Weekly article on why the show's one of 5 great new shows to watch:

>THE PLOT Comedian/movie star/Oscar host/EW funniest person in America Chris Rock shows what life was like before becoming Mr. Big Famous Guy, narrating this sitcom based on his life as a 13-year-old growing up in Brooklyn, circa 1982.... Hold on a second — 13? In 1982? Last we checked, Rock was 40. Is there some fuzzy math going on here? ''Of course,'' says Rock. ''It's loosely based on my life. I'm not George Washington. Things don't have to be historically accurate.'' But why not just make it 1978? ''The '70s are so played out,'' he says. ''Then you just end up with Afros and whatever.'' Whatever the year, young Chris (played by Tyler James Williams) has to contend with a penny-pinching father, ''ghetto snob'' mother, younger — yet taller — brother, and tattling sister. He's also the only black student at Corleone Junior High, suffering at the hand of school bully Joey Caruso, who at one point pelts him with D batteries. ''You know how big a D battery is?'' asks Williams. ''Those things are huge! To get that launched at you — they kind of hurt.''

WHY WE LOVE IT First off, even though it's set in 1982, the show resists the temptation to become a one-note-joke period piece. ''If you didn't know it was set in the '80s, you wouldn't really be able to tell,'' says executive producer Ali LeRoi, Rock's longtime writing partner. ''And I think that having more of a timeless quality to it makes it play better than, 'Hey, remember when we all wore Gumby haircuts!? Look at this — parachute pants!''' And unlike other dysfunctional-family comedies that think being loud equals laughs, Chris is money when it comes to delivering the funny. ''It's not just about being shocking,'' says LeRoi. ''If we can't find a funny way to approach that sort of material, then we'll leave it off the table.''

And, from an L.A. Times profile on LeRoi:

>The show begins in 1982, when the fictional Chris (Tyler James Williams) turns 13.

"It was just a nice line of demarcation culturally," LeRoi said. "Hip-hop was just beginning and besides that, Sinbad owned the '70s, and we really didn't want to trudge into the Sinbad territory. So we decided to go toward the '80s, but we didn't want to do a whole lark on the culture of the '80s. We're probably closer to 'Good Times' than anything else but with a more contemporary execution of the show. So if you blend 'Bernie Mac' and 'The Wonder Years' with the heart of 'Good Times' and shoot it like 'Scrubs,' that's where this show is."
___________________________________________________________________________________________
unfolding
enveloping
missles of soul

kurlyswirl
16693 posts
Wed Oct-26-05 01:21 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "Okay, you know what?"
In response to Reply # 7
Wed Oct-26-05 01:24 AM by kurlyswirl

>I'm really sick of the bitching about the "inaccuracy" of the
>detail on the show.

And I'm really sick of you bitching about us bitching about the inaccuracies on the show. Sheesh. I don't care about those explanations...I still say it comes off careless, lazy and somewhat insulting to the intelligence of their audience, even if it's not their intention.

I mean, really. If the big thing you
>find fault with is the fact that 1982 Chris is dressing like
>1984 Prince, or that 1982 Chris' broken heart was underscored
>with a song from 1992, then you should probably stop watching.
> All media.

*stops watching all media 'cause Zoo said so*

C'mon now...you act like this is a personal insult. Do you have some connection with the show you're not telling us about?

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Wed Oct-26-05 09:45 AM

12. "RE: Okay, you know what?"
In response to Reply # 8

>>I'm really sick of the bitching about the "inaccuracy" of
>the
>>detail on the show.
>
>And I'm really sick of you bitching about us bitching about
>the inaccuracies on the show. Sheesh. I don't care about those
>explanations...I still say it comes off careless, lazy and
>somewhat insulting to the intelligence of their audience, even
>if it's not their intention.

Sheesh, my ass. And you're absolutely incorrect about it being "careless, lazy and insulting to the intelligence of thhe audience." You've got to be kidding me.

> I mean, really. If the big thing you
>>find fault with is the fact that 1982 Chris is dressing like
>>1984 Prince, or that 1982 Chris' broken heart was
>underscored
>>with a song from 1992, then you should probably stop
>watching.
>> All media.
>
>*stops watching all media 'cause Zoo said so*

*rolls eyes*

You cannot be serious.

>C'mon now...you act like this is a personal insult. Do you
>have some connection with the show you're not telling us
>about?

No, it's not a personal insult, and I don't have a connection to the show. It just seems to me that bitching for the sake of bitching ins't very productive, especially if you know what the show's trying to do, as Chris Rock and Ali LeRoi have laid out. LIke it not, this is what they want to do with the show. Either you watch or you don't. And don't come back with any more of that "Zoo's word is absolute and final" bullshit, because you know good and goddamn well that's not what I said.
________________________________________________________________________________________
unfolding
enveloping
missles of soul

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Oct-26-05 08:43 AM

10. "the fuck out of here with this plea-copping shit."
In response to Reply # 7

>I'm really sick of the bitching about the "inaccuracy" of the
>detail on the show. I mean, really. If the big thing you
>find fault with is the fact that 1982 Chris is dressing like
>1984 Prince, or that 1982 Chris' broken heart was underscored
>with a song from 1992, then you should probably stop watching.
> All media.

actually, the big thing i find fault with is the fact that the characters are stereotypical cutouts and the narrative is driven by a plodding and tepid voiceover that barely masks its “Wonder Years” aspirations

but i don’t think that desiring accurate details is really nitpicking. particularly for people who actually lived through the era that’s been portrayed. if they tell me that the story is set in 1982 or 1983, don’t get mad at me for noticing that it’s full of references from 1985 and 86.

basically, what you’re proposing is the same argument you come with whenever any UPN “black” shows are discussed: cut them a break… don’t ask for too much… judge them by a different standard because they’re “just trying to tell some funny stories with some heart”

please, dude.

>I swear, some of you mofos are never satisfied... and before
>anyone chooses to play the "cop out" card, just know that
>these guys (Ali LeRoi, and particularly Chris Rock) have been
>in on the show since its inception, so they pretty much know
>what the hell they're talking about.

uhh…. what does this mean?

“they’ve been on the show since its inception, so they pretty much know what the hell they’re talking about”

i totally don’t understand the logic of that statement. i’m sure Uwe Boll guides his movies from their inception… does that mean that HE knows what he’s talking about?

if they’ve been on the show since its inception and they are misguided, then the show will be misguided from the inception

and i don’t understand the point of these swipes you posted either, Zoo…

>>THE PLOT Comedian/movie star/Oscar host/EW funniest person
>in America Chris Rock shows what life was like before becoming
>Mr. Big Famous Guy, narrating this sitcom based on his life as
>a 13-year-old growing up in Brooklyn, circa 1982.... Hold on a
>second — 13? In 1982? Last we checked, Rock was 40. Is there
>some fuzzy math going on here? ''Of course,'' says Rock.
>''It's loosely based on my life. I'm not George Washington.
>Things don't have to be historically accurate.''

so… what Chris Rock is saying is that it is not “historically accurate,” meaning that THE STORY is not 100% the true story of HIS LIFE. and guess what? that is the case with ALL BIOGRAPHICAL WORKS

i don’t CARE about Chris Rock’s life… i know how old he is, and i noticed right from the beginning that the character was like 4 years younger than the real Chris would have been in 1982. but none of that stuff matters to me. all that matters is that you tell a good story, and that the story makes sense within the logical parameters it has set for itself

>WHY WE LOVE IT First off, even though it's set in 1982, the
>show resists the temptation to become a one-note-joke period
>piece.

actually, that is what it HAS become.

because the producers have chosen to throw in every 1980s joke they can whether or not it fits within the chronological context, so a lot of the time the joke IS “look… it’s the Eighties!”

if they were really concerned with just creating a realistic setting in which to tell good stories that are not necessarily tied into the jokes about the time period, then they would just set the thing in the year they said they did and leave all the 80s jokes out

look at “Freaks and Geeks, for instance. the fact that it is set in 1980 is not a big deal to the story, but it is more or less accurate. which allows you to just settle down and enjoy the story.

it’s not MY fault that they said the story was set in 1982. if they wanted it to be just some vague Eighties period, they could have said “the mid-80s” and we’d all be fine

but talking about crack in 1982? to me that’s like talking about AIDS in 1976. how you gonna tell that I’M wrong because i noticed that you haven’t taken the time to situate your story properly.

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Wed Oct-26-05 10:47 AM

14. "Yeah, AF, I have nothing better to do with my time."
In response to Reply # 10
Wed Oct-26-05 10:49 AM by ZooTown74

>actually, the big thing i find fault with is the fact that the
>characters are stereotypical cutouts and the narrative is
>driven by a plodding and tepid voiceover that barely masks its
>“Wonder Years” aspirations

Hey, AF, that's fine. You don't like the show, those are valid criticisms. But to continue carping on the fact that 1982 Chris had an emotional moment set to a 1985 Klymaxxx record (hypothetically speaking) or the fact that March 1982 Chris was eating Reese's Pieces with ET on the package, even though ET didn't come out until June of 1982 (again, hypothetically speaking) is pretty much a waste of time, and says more about the person watching than the actual show itself, don't you think?

>but i don’t think that desiring accurate details is really
>nitpicking. particularly for people who actually lived through
>the era that’s been portrayed. if they tell me that the story
>is set in 1982 or 1983, don’t get mad at me for noticing that
>it’s full of references from 1985 and 86.

Even when the show's co-creator says, "It's not supposed to be historically accurate?" So what you're saying is, basically, 'fuck you, Chris Rock, my memories are better than yours, so therefore your show is false because you're not matching my memories about that time. Even though you've said, hey, historical accuracy isn't the point of the show.'

Come back to me with this argument when you see A Knight's Tale again. Criticize that movie for being set in medieval times but insisting on using a contemporary rock soundtrack. That's fine. But I'm sorry, I can't cosign "desiring accurate details" for a sitcom when a) the cues themselves aren't that long (a 5-second music cue affects the rest of a 19-minute episode how again?) and b) the creators have emphasized that they're not going for historical accuracy, they're going for the comedy. You can either agree or disagree that it's funny or not, that's fine. But the "desiring (of) accurate details" is nitpicking, no matter how it's phrased by you.

>basically, what you’re proposing is the same argument you come
>with whenever any UPN “black” shows are discussed: cut them a
>break… don’t ask for too much… judge them by a different
>standard because they’re “just trying to tell some funny
>stories with some heart”

"Basically," I didn't propose any "argument," AF. But as usual, you're looking for an excuse to have one, and I provided you with it. All I said to you was stop nitpicking, and now you're going to launch into a diatribe about my defense of UPN shows. As you put it:

>please, dude.

You'd have a point had Chris Rock and Ali LeRoi said they were doing completely silly and ironic comedy, or they had worked really hard to maintain the historical accuracy of the time period. Then you could go on your little detail-searching missions, and come back to report that you had exposed the show's creators for their laziness and inattentiveness to detail.

And the only accurate detail you have right in that bullshit you typed above is the last sentence, because that's what they're trying to do. If you have a problem with that, stop watching. That simple. Or, better yet, create a show that you think will come off better. Good luck.

>>I swear, some of you mofos are never satisfied... and before
>>anyone chooses to play the "cop out" card, just know that
>>these guys (Ali LeRoi, and particularly Chris Rock) have
>been
>>in on the show since its inception, so they pretty much know
>>what the hell they're talking about.
>
>uhh…. what does this mean?

What it means, AF, is that the show's creators know what fucking tone they want to set with the show. That means when Chris Rock says, "we're not going for historical accuracy," that means they decided early on, look, we're not really concerned with how accurate each and every goddamn detail of the goddamn show is. That stuff is minor compared to what we're trying to do, which is, in (ZooTown's alleged words), "tell some funny stories with heart."

>“they’ve been on the show since its inception, so they pretty
>much know what the hell they’re talking about”
>
>i totally don’t understand the logic of that statement. i’m
>sure Uwe Boll guides his movies from their inception… does
>that mean that HE knows what he’s talking about?

Here's your logic, AF.

Chris Rock and Ali LeRoi *create* a show called Everybody Hates Chris. When you create a show, AF, that means you're the one who sets up the characters and the world they inhabit. They decide that, while the show is set in 1982, they're not going to cowtow to the expectations of the audience, who will probably want to get most of their laughs from all the correct and exact nostalgia of 1982: "Yo, son, remember that Planet Rock shit? Ha ha ha." They decide that they're going to, again, in ZooTown's allegedly rehashed argument, "tell funny stories with heart."

I don't see why that's such a faulty thing to say. Is it because you want to laugh at all the funny 1982 stuff and can't get past the fact that they dared to use a Midnight Star song from 1986 (again, hypothetically speaking, AF)? Did that 5-second cue really ruin your enjoyment of the show?

>if they’ve been on the show since its inception and they are
>misguided, then the show will be misguided from the inception

Why are they misguided? Because they didn't meet your high standards of what the show should be? That's lame. They created the show; they know what the fuck they wanted to say, and the way they wanted to go about saying it. You don't have to like it.

>and i don’t understand the point of these swipes you posted
>either, Zoo…

Then I really can't say anything else. Your high standards have been tainted by "historical inaccuracies." I presented two swipes from the show's creators who pretty much spell out the fact that they're *not* going for historical accuracy, yet you're coming at me for a) quoting their defense of what they do; and b) (once again) defending UPN sitcoms.

How did you say it? "please, dude."

>so… what Chris Rock is saying is that it is not “historically
>accurate,” meaning that THE STORY is not 100% the true story
>of HIS LIFE. and guess what? that is the case with ALL
>BIOGRAPHICAL WORKS

He also said it's "loosely based on his life." And aren't those little details you and ks are going apeshit over not a part of THE STORY? They don't necessarily have to make "logical" sense. If Chris gets his heart broken because the girl he likes is kissing his brother, then sure, the use of the music cue "Breaking My Heart" doesn't make *logical* sense, because it's from 1991 and this show's set in 1982. But *emotionally*--

Wait, let me type that again, AF: *EMOTIONALLY*

the use of the song makes perfect sense.

>i don’t CARE about Chris Rock’s life… i know how old he is,
>and i noticed right from the beginning that the character was
>like 4 years younger than the real Chris would have been in
>1982. but none of that stuff matters to me. all that matters
>is that you tell a good story, and that the story makes sense
>within the logical parameters it has set for itself

You'd have a point if, say, in the pilot, it was clearly established that the show was set in 1982 (like, they had characters talking about Reagan and how tough it is to be in 1982, etc.), but then in, say, episode 3, we see young Chris in 1995 Seattle, drinking a latte (no Orbit-o). That's an example of a show not staying within the logical parameters it has set for itself. I refuse to believe that a 5-second song cue from 1991, one that *mirrors the emotional tone of the character in that particular moment*, somehow strays from the "logical parameters" the show has set for itself. Especially if you understand what goes into telling that story, which involves more than "logical parameters."

>>WHY WE LOVE IT First off, even though it's set in 1982,
>the
>>show resists the temptation to become a one-note-joke period
>>piece.
>
>actually, that is what it HAS become.

Not according to you. Did you not get upset because an upcoming episode features 1982 Chris wearing what appears to be the gear of 1984 Prince (nevermind the fact that I don't recall his look changing very much from 1999 to Purple Rain)?

>because the producers have chosen to throw in every 1980s joke
>they can whether or not it fits within the chronological
>context, so a lot of the time the joke IS “look… it’s the
>Eighties!”

You really haven't been paying attention to the show, AF. This is just another one of your "I have high standards and if you don't meet them, you're lame" exercises. I believe fire said it best when she said, "You don't like anything." And yeah, I quoted fire. So there.

>if they were really concerned with just creating a realistic
>setting in which to tell good stories that are not necessarily
>tied into the jokes about the time period, then they would
>just set the thing in the year they said they did and leave
>all the 80s jokes out

What "80's jokes," AF? It'd be different if you had characters (and Chris) constantly making references to ET, Rubik's Cubes, Toughskins jeans (stop laughing), Underoos (no homo), cassette tapes, boomboxes and the like. But so far, most of the humor has revolved around family, race, class, money, male/female relations, love, bullies, siblings, etc.

And I think that bothers the nitpickers more than anything else, the fact that they refuse to trade in our name and product recognition from that time period into cheap laughs.

This isn't That 70's Show, AF. They're trying for something a little deeper. You don't have to agree that it always works (and most of the time it doesn't), but that *is* their aim.

>look at “Freaks and Geeks, for instance. the fact that it is
>set in 1980 is not a big deal to the story, but it is more or
>less accurate. which allows you to just settle down and enjoy
>the story.

Good example, but again, what makes it "accurate" to you? Are all of the music cues from 1980? FYI, the theme song for that show, Joan Jett's "Bad Reputation," came out in 1981. Does that fact somehow lessen your enjoyment of that show? No, and that's my point. You can get mad at Everybody Hates Chris for not being funny, or for feeling emotionally false. But don't couch that criticism in "oh yeah, they used a Prince 'Batdance' music cue, and that shit RUINED it for me, son" bullshit and not expect to get called on it.

>it’s not MY fault that they said the story was set in 1982. if
>they wanted it to be just some vague Eighties period, they
>could have said “the mid-80s” and we’d all be fine

Just to belabor the point, it would be different had all of the promotional material leading up to the show's premiere focused on the fact that it was set in 1982. Then you'd have a case. You could get mad because "they kept saying the show was going to be in 1982." But that's not what was promoted, AF, and you know that. And before you say you "don't understand the logic" of what I wrote, I'll spell it out for you. The promotion for the show focused on *Chris Rock*. The show was sold as "Chris Rock's life as a kid," not "a show set in 1982 focusing on a kid named Chris Rock from that golden year of 1982." There is a difference.

>but talking about crack in 1982? to me that’s like talking
>about AIDS in 1976. how you gonna tell that I’M wrong because
>i noticed that you haven’t taken the time to situate your
>story properly.

Did Rochelle make that joke? Or was that Chris' narration? If I remember, it was Chris' narration. So, if my memory is right, then this argument of yours is flawed (and if I'm wrong, accept my apologies). It'd be different if the episode was named "Everybody Hates Crack," and it centered around the family taking in a crackhead relative. But you mean to tell me that *one joke* about crack, spoken by the narrator (again, if I remember correctly), whom we can presume is in the current day, ruined the show for you? Okay, ock.

I'm going to end it here by adding that this whole "Hollywood is so lazy" argument (which is also what this is) is also getting quite tired.
________________________________________________________________________________________
unfolding
enveloping
missles of soul

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Oct-26-05 11:38 AM

17. "i don't even know how to respond to this"
In response to Reply # 14

>Hey, AF, that's fine. You don't like the show, those are
>valid criticisms. But to continue carping on the fact that
>1982 Chris had an emotional moment set to a 1985 Klymaxxx
>record (hypothetically speaking) or the fact that March 1982
>Chris was eating Reese's Pieces with ET on the package, even
>though ET didn't come out until June of 1982 (again,
>hypothetically speaking) is pretty much a waste of time, and
>says more about the person watching than the actual show
>itself, don't you think?

no… it says something about the show. mainly that they made some mistakes. i noticed them. it’s not MY fault, is it? it’s THEIR job to convince ME, not the other way round

>Even when the show's co-creator says, "It's not supposed to be
>historically accurate?" So what you're saying is, basically,
>'fuck you, Chris Rock, my memories are better than yours, so
>therefore your show is false because you're not matching my
>memories about that time. Even though you've said, hey,
>historical accuracy isn't the point of the show.'

dude… CONTEXT.

unless you’re referring to some other interview than the one you posted, Chris’s reference to “historical accuracy” meant that THE STORY is not meant to accurately match the events of HIS REAL LIFE, not that the story features an alternate reality 1982 where, say, kids have cellphones

>Come back to me with this argument when you see A Knight's
>Tale again. Criticize that movie for being set in medieval
>times but insisting on using a contemporary rock soundtrack.

don’t be ridiculous

>That's fine. But I'm sorry, I can't cosign "desiring accurate
>details" for a sitcom when a) the cues themselves aren't that
>long (a 5-second music cue affects the rest of a 19-minute
>episode how again?) and b) the creators have emphasized that
>they're not going for historical accuracy, they're going for
>the comedy.

okay, well the comedy fails (IMHO) and i don’t see why comedy is incompatible with accuracy when the show very clearly seems to be striving for some degree of realism

You can either agree or disagree that it's funny
>or not, that's fine. But the "desiring (of) accurate details"
>is nitpicking, no matter how it's phrased by you.

no, it’s not

>"Basically," I didn't propose any "argument," AF. But as
>usual, you're looking for an excuse to have one, and I
>provided you with it.

no, i stated a flaw that i find irritating and you came at me with your usual straw man rebuttals

All I said to you was stop nitpicking,
>and now you're going to launch into a diatribe about my
>defense of UPN shows.

because your defense here parallels the same defense you apply to “One on One” and “Cutz”

>You'd have a point had Chris Rock and Ali LeRoi said they were
>doing completely silly and ironic comedy, or they had worked
>really hard to maintain the historical accuracy of the time
>period.

that shit is kinda taken for granted when you do a period piece, isn’t it?

unless you’re doing something that is completely over-the-top like A Knight’s Tale

Then you could go on your little detail-searching
>missions, and come back to report that you had exposed the
>show's creators for their laziness and inattentiveness to
>detail.

it’s not a mission, dude. it jumps out at me and snatches me right out of the story. maybe because i’m old enough to remember that time clearly

>And the only accurate detail you have right in that bullshit
>you typed above is the last sentence, because that's what
>they're trying to do. If you have a problem with that, stop
>watching. That simple. Or, better yet, create a show that
>you think will come off better. Good luck.

uh huh… that’s ALWAYS the copout.

“if you think you can do better…”

that’s silly and you know it.

>What it means, AF, is that the show's creators know what
>fucking tone they want to set with the show. That means when
>Chris Rock says, "we're not going for historical accuracy,"
>that means they decided early on, look, we're not really
>concerned with how accurate each and every goddamn detail of
>the goddamn show is.

PLEASE stop repeatedly quoting that line out of context. it makes you look desperate.

That stuff is minor compared to what
>we're trying to do, which is, in (ZooTown's alleged words),
>"tell some funny stories with heart."

uh huh

>Chris Rock and Ali LeRoi *create* a show called Everybody
>Hates Chris. When you create a show, AF, that means you're
>the one who sets up the characters and the world they inhabit.
> They decide that, while the show is set in 1982, they're not
>going to cowtow to the expectations of the audience, who will
>probably want to get most of their laughs from all the correct
>and exact nostalgia of 1982: "Yo, son, remember that Planet
>Rock shit? Ha ha ha." They decide that they're going to,
>again, in ZooTown's allegedly rehashed argument, "tell funny
>stories with heart."
>
>I don't see why that's such a faulty thing to say. Is it
>because you want to laugh at all the funny 1982 stuff and
>can't get past the fact that they dared to use a Midnight Star
>song from 1986 (again, hypothetically speaking, AF)? Did that
>5-second cue really ruin your enjoyment of the show?

you’re missing the point.

i DON’T want to “laugh at all the funny 1982 stuff”… i just want a world that LOOKS like 1982 so i can commit better to the context of the story.

on the other hand, THEY are the ones who are “laughing at the funny 198_ stuff” because they’re doing things like throwing in a 1985 reference JUST because it’s funny, regardless of whether or not it actually fits the context they’re allegedly working with

>Why are they misguided? Because they didn't meet your high
>standards of what the show should be? That's lame. They
>created the show; they know what the fuck they wanted to say,
>and the way they wanted to go about saying it.

so does Uwe Boll. i guess that places his above any kind of criticism, huh?

>Then I really can't say anything else. Your high standards
>have been tainted by "historical inaccuracies." I presented
>two swipes from the show's creators who pretty much spell out
>the fact that they're *not* going for historical accuracy,

STOP it

>>so… what Chris Rock is saying is that it is not
>“historically
>>accurate,” meaning that THE STORY is not 100% the true story
>>of HIS LIFE. and guess what? that is the case with ALL
>>BIOGRAPHICAL WORKS
>
>He also said it's "loosely based on his life." And aren't
>those little details you and ks are going apeshit over not a
>part of THE STORY? They don't necessarily have to make
>"logical" sense. If Chris gets his heart broken because the
>girl he likes is kissing his brother, then sure, the use of
>the music cue "Breaking My Heart" doesn't make *logical*
>sense, because it's from 1991 and this show's set in 1982.
>But *emotionally*--

i actually wasn’t bothered by the Mint Condition song… the score isn’t necessarily “part of the story”… it’s a cue that superimposed over the story to drive home an emotional point, and if they wanted to make that point using Brahms or a reggaeton track, it’s all good

if that song had been playing from a radio WITHIN the scene, i would have taken issue with it

>You'd have a point if, say, in the pilot, it was clearly
>established that the show was set in 1982 (like, they had
>characters talking about Reagan and how tough it is to be in
>1982, etc.), but then in, say, episode 3, we see young Chris
>in 1995 Seattle, drinking a latte (no Orbit-o). That's an
>example of a show not staying within the logical parameters it
>has set for itself.

so is saying the show is set in 1982 and then making references to 1985

>>>WHY WE LOVE IT First off, even though it's set in 1982,
>>the
>>>show resists the temptation to become a one-note-joke
>period
>>>piece.
>>
>>actually, that is what it HAS become.
>
>Not according to you. Did you not get upset because an
>upcoming episode features 1982 Chris wearing what appears to
>be the gear of 1984 Prince (nevermind the fact that I don't
>recall his look changing very much from 1999 to Purple Rain)?

that IS one note.

and that note is: “hey look… it’s the 1980s. so we can just lump it all together for laughs.”

>You really haven't been paying attention to the show, AF.
>This is just another one of your "I have high standards and if
>you don't meet them, you're lame" exercises. I believe fire
>said it best when she said, "You don't like anything." And
>yeah, I quoted fire. So there.

actually, i like “The Office.” i like “Lost.” i like “America’s Next Top Model.” i like “Curb Your Enthusiasm,” “Nip/Tuck,” “The Shield,” i just watched “Smallville” for the first time last week and i kinda like it. i’m thinking i might check out “Veronica Mars.”

obviously, i like a LOT of things. the fact that you and fire(ok) would so eagerly say that i don’t like anything just because i don’t like the shit that YOU happen to like just makes both of you a pair of morons who are incapable of presenting an argument or perhaps too insecure to deal with the fact that someone else’s opinions might be different from yours, don’t you think?

>And I think that bothers the nitpickers more than anything
>else, the fact that they refuse to trade in our name and
>product recognition from that time period into cheap laughs.

i didn’t ask for none of that, dude

>This isn't That 70's Show, AF. They're trying for something a
>little deeper. You don't have to agree that it always works
>(and most of the time it doesn't), but that *is* their aim.

PLEASE stop the goddamn straw man shit, attributing views to me that i never expressed. you look like Don Quixote flailing at windmills… take that argument somewhere else, because it ain’t mine.

>>look at “Freaks and Geeks, for instance. the fact that it is
>>set in 1980 is not a big deal to the story, but it is more
>or
>>less accurate. which allows you to just settle down and
>enjoy
>>the story.
>
>Good example, but again, what makes it "accurate" to you? Are
>all of the music cues from 1980? FYI, the theme song for that
>show, Joan Jett's "Bad Reputation," came out in 1981. Does
>that fact somehow lessen your enjoyment of that show?

**sigh** please get off this music cues business… that was never my issue to begin with

btw it’s not like “Freaks and Geeks” didn’t make some mistakes too… like in the first episode Nick talks about John Bonham as if he’s still alive when he would have been dead for a few months by that time. errors are human… actually, as a writer myself i enjoy these mistakes sometimes. it highlights the frailty of the creation process… on “Freaks and Geeks” they attempted to fix the Bonham mistake in the next episode, by making Nick obsessed and depressed by Bonham’s death. nice save!

what i don’t like is when it seems the writer doesn’t even care… that they’re just throwing shit out there

>No, and
>that's my point. You can get mad at Everybody Hates Chris for
>not being funny,

which i am

> or for feeling emotionally false.

that too

But don't
>couch that criticism in "oh yeah, they used a Prince
>'Batdance' music cue, and that shit RUINED it for me, son"
>bullshit and not expect to get called on it.

**looks through original post**

hmmm…. i wonder where i ever mentioned anything about music cues… can’t find it anywhere…

>Just to belabor the point, it would be different had all of
>the promotional material leading up to the show's premiere
>focused on the fact that it was set in 1982. Then you'd have
>a case. You could get mad because "they kept saying the show
>was going to be in 1982." But that's not what was promoted,
>AF, and you know that.

actually it WAS.

the ads that ran on UPN for months started with Chris Rock’s voice saying “Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn, 1982” or something like that

>>but talking about crack in 1982? to me that’s like talking
>>about AIDS in 1976. how you gonna tell that I’M wrong
>because
>>i noticed that you haven’t taken the time to situate your
>>story properly.
>
>Did Rochelle make that joke? Or was that Chris' narration?
>If I remember, it was Chris' narration.

no, it was Rochelle, actually

i haven’t criticized Chris’s narration anywhere (apart from the fact i think it’s leaden and unfunny)… he makes lots of references like “separating a rapper from ignorance”… i didn’t complain about that

but it was Rochelle who said the thing about the crackheads

>I'm going to end it here by adding that this whole "Hollywood
>is so lazy" argument (which is also what this is) is also
>getting quite tired.

i didn’t say “Hollywood is so lazy” anywhere… bad storytelling is bad storytelling, regardless of whether it’s in Hollywood, Bollywood, Dollywood, Nollywood or Lollywood

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Wed Oct-26-05 01:49 PM

27. "That's never stopped you before."
In response to Reply # 17
Wed Oct-26-05 01:57 PM by ZooTown74

I'm not going to get into a "you're stupid/no, YOU'RE stupid" debate with you, AF. Apaprently I'm too busy thinking up "straw man copouts" for UPN shows. But I am going to leave you with another quote from the ones I posted above. Try to read it more clearly this time, asshole.

And remember, it was you who titled the post, "I Hate Inaccurate Details in Period Pieces (eg Everybody Hates Chris)," but I'm the "moron" who can't argue. Whatever you say, ock. Save that shit for your dances with Orbit.

"So we decided to go toward the '80s, but *we didn't want to do a whole lark on the culture of the '80s.*"

Now, go ahead and give me your interpretation of those words, since you seem to have such a clear grasp on what they're talking about, or continue to throw out your usual "straw man/cop out" accusations. I'm done with you, fucker.

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Oct-26-05 02:11 PM

29. "you must be reading something different here than i am"
In response to Reply # 27

>And remember, it was you who titled the post, "I Hate
>Inaccurate Details in Period Pieces (eg Everybody Hates
>Chris)," but I'm the "moron" who can't argue.

yeah... i stated what i hate. you tried to tell me why i'm a bad person for hating what i hate, and you haven't done it yet.

>"So we decided to go toward the '80s, but *we didn't want to
>do a whole lark on the culture of the '80s.*"
>
>Now, go ahead and give me your interpretation of those words,
>since you seem to have such a clear grasp on what they're
>talking about

my interpretation of those words means that he didn't want to a situation where the constant running joke is "look! it's the 80s!"

you know... jokes like a guy holding a mobile phone the size of a brick and saying "look at my new mobile phone! it's so small! and it costs only $7 a minute to make a call! great, huh?"

fine. i hate that kind of humor. "That 70s Show" was all about that in the early days before they really got going with the characters and story. so good... i don't want that.

but adhering to some degree of chronological consistency is NOT "a lark on the culture of the '80s." it's called "creating a realistic and accurate temporal seetting for your story."

come on, man... you're a writer. you should know this.

if they didn't want to adhere to that, then they didn't have to say what year it was. "That 70s Show" for instance has never really stated the year (to the best of my knowledge, anyway... they DID have that episode where Star Wars opened, suggesting it was 1977)

that way, "That 70s Show" gets to utilize all sorts of elements from the 1970s and it doesn't matter because they tell the audience "it's just a generic 1970s world"

when you go out of your way to tell me that it's 1982, i don't think i'm asking for too much when i expect you to adhere to that. otherwise, you woulda just said "the 80s" and i woulda been just as happy.

come on, man... you're a writer. don't act like you don't know any of this shit.

ternary_star
Charter member
15211 posts
Wed Oct-26-05 07:34 AM

9. "isn't that kinda how memory works, though?"
In response to Reply # 0

when you think back 30 years, you're not gonna remember everything perfectly and some things are gonna kinda overlap, blend in and get mixed up.

i have absolutely no problem with the vague time period of the show. and i agree with rock when he said he was hesitant to base it in the 70's cuz it'd lead to a bunch of inevitable afro and bell bottom jokes

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Oct-26-05 08:45 AM

11. "that's an interesting argument."
In response to Reply # 9

>when you think back 30 years, you're not gonna remember
>everything perfectly and some things are gonna kinda overlap,
>blend in and get mixed up.

i could almost buy that, but apart from the narration it doesn't *feel* like it's supposed to be a memory-based work the way something like... i dunno, The Virgin Suicides does. it seems like the story is presented in a rather straightforward way.

>i have absolutely no problem with the vague time period of the
>show. and i agree with rock when he said he was hesitant to
>base it in the 70's cuz it'd lead to a bunch of inevitable
>afro and bell bottom jokes

yeah, but now we got a bunch of 1980s jokes instead

Ray_Snill
Charter member
16839 posts
Sat Oct-29-05 09:32 PM

64. "are you really watching?"
In response to Reply # 11

>i could almost buy that, but apart from the narration it
>doesn't *feel* like it's supposed to be a memory-based work
>the way something like...

during his narritives he clearly says things like "...and that guy shot the next day." and " this dude got got beat down at a PUFF DADDY concert" clearly showing that he's reflecting on the stories.

<=============================
It's Football season bitch!!

Falcons 5-2

LiquidDope
Charter member
25123 posts
Wed Oct-26-05 10:37 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "'82, actually."
In response to Reply # 0

Meaning Little Red Corvette had JUST come out.

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Wed Oct-26-05 11:04 AM

15. "I gave up on Everybody Hates Chris 2 weeks ago..."
In response to Reply # 0

that shit is really unfunny.

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

gmltheone
Member since Jun 11th 2003
8564 posts
Wed Oct-26-05 11:18 AM

16. "Giving it a full season."
In response to Reply # 0

Chris Rock has earned at least that much from me.

If after a full season I don't like it then I won't watch anymore.

It won't be the first "really not that funny" show on TV.

-------------
Favorite song of the moment...Where Would I Be (The Question) - Kindred The Family Soul

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Wed Oct-26-05 01:16 PM

24. "RE: Giving it a full season."
In response to Reply # 16

ain't nobody earned 20+ episodes of unfunny.

gmltheone
Member since Jun 11th 2003
8564 posts
Wed Oct-26-05 04:18 PM

43. "Some of it is funny."
In response to Reply # 24

>ain't nobody earned 20+ episodes of unfunny.

Not knee-slapping spit your drink out funny, but funny enough to be given more that 8 shows.

What's hilarious is shows like Yes, Dear and Two and a half men are awful, but you look up and notice it's been like 3-4 seasons.

-------------
Favorite song of the moment...Where Would I Be (The Question) - Kindred The Family Soul

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Wed Oct-26-05 06:03 PM

46. "RE: Some of it is funny."
In response to Reply # 43

>What's hilarious is shows like Yes, Dear and Two and a half
>men are awful, but you look up and notice it's been like 3-4
>seasons.

not just that. a lot of people actually watch those shows. beats me.

Bo_De_Ga
Charter member
2315 posts
Wed Oct-26-05 11:40 AM

18. "?"
In response to Reply # 0

> it's part of the
>reason i've never been able to completely love Goodfellas
>

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Oct-26-05 11:42 AM

19. "yeah, a lot of that stuff was mad dicey"
In response to Reply # 18

and a lot of the clothes and hair looked kinda "costumey" to me

i wa surprised at that from a film by Marty, of all people... i mean, you look at Raging Bull and sometimes you can be forgiven for believing that it's actual footage from the 1940s and 50s

Mynoriti
Charter member
38818 posts
Wed Oct-26-05 12:05 PM

20. "just how old ARE you?"
In response to Reply # 19

>and a lot of the clothes and hair looked kinda "costumey" to
>me

j/k.

The only things that really stood out to me in Goodfellas, was them trying to pass Liotta off as a 21 year old and even more, Pesci off as the same age. And there's some continuity stuff in some scenes but none of it really bothers me.

I have a friend who restores classic cars who gets pissed every time he sees Henry and Tommy leaning on a 65 Impala in 63. I mean I've never watched the movie with him but you can't bring up Goodfellas without him bitching about that scene.

As for the costumes, It seems fairly accurate that mob wives (low level ones at that) would dress much more gaudy than most. Even if you put Carmella Soprano next to some of the other women who live in her neighborhood she sticks out like a sore thumb.

KiiaMonet
Member since Feb 13th 2003
579 posts
Wed Oct-26-05 12:22 PM

21. "I want to know that too..."
In response to Reply # 20

but I'm not joking!

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Oct-26-05 01:21 PM

25. "yeah, this really bothers me too"

>The only things that really stood out to me in Goodfellas, was
>them trying to pass Liotta off as a 21 year old and even more,
>Pesci off as the same age.

wntrbaby
Member since Jan 06th 2003
1005 posts
Wed Oct-26-05 02:21 PM

31. "what's even more bothersome"
In response to Reply # 25

is trying pass lorraine bracco off as an 18 year old. sorry, but i'm not buying it.

http://www.last.fm/user/rah_li/

make the trip: http://www.guardian.co.uk/america

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Oct-26-05 02:27 PM

32. "yep, that too"
In response to Reply # 31

it's stuff like all these things we're talking about that kept me from taking Goodfellas seriously for so long... after watching it repeated times, it's grown on me. but it still doesn't feel "real"... it feels like a... like an SNL sketch or something, where they put a bad wig on Horatio Sanz and pass him off as Elton John, y'know?

ZooTown may call it nitpicking, but things like costume and set design and props really matter to me, almost unconsciously

i was so amped to see Roll Bounce until i saw the bad afro wig Nick Cannon had on in the trailer... all of a sudden i found myself thinking "okay, i'll wait for the DVD," without even being sure of what changed

Mynoriti
Charter member
38818 posts
Wed Oct-26-05 02:33 PM

33. "when did they say she was 18?"

I don't remember that

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Oct-26-05 02:59 PM

39. "i'm not sure she was supposed to be 18"
In response to Reply # 33

(i need to take a look at the screenplay)

but she was certainly supposed to be WAY younger than Lorraine Bracco looks... definitely not over 21

wntrbaby
Member since Jan 06th 2003
1005 posts
Wed Oct-26-05 03:27 PM

40. "it was in the book 'wiseguy'"
In response to Reply # 39

i forgot they didn't mention it in the movie. but i knew she was supposed to be about 1-2 years younger than henry.
any way you look at it, she was playing something in her late teens/early 20s. doesn't work.

Kuahmel
Member since Aug 30th 2003
15005 posts
Sat Oct-29-05 04:51 PM

62. "Well, they wouldn't dare do these things in this millemium."

With a more sophisticated/snobby/conservative/sensitive public.

In 1990, you could ignore them using 40-somethings as college-age people in the 60s, because you got the point that they were adults who were going to look like that for a while (though Salt-N-Pepa couldn't push it as hard as they did with Pesci).

I mean, hey, if the R-rated high school movies of the 80s came out today, there surely would be issues with such things as supposedly 16 and 17 year old female characters running around topless.

...with who? THA DOODOOMAN!!!
www.homestarrunner.com/vcr_poop.html

kill all whites today & we'll still be f'd up. we fight over BS political ideas & ethnic allegiances but scared to defend resources of our own land. the only savior is self--thegodcam

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Sat Oct-29-05 07:29 PM

63. "Howard Stern is doing a remake of Porky's"
In response to Reply # 62

and he has resolved to use real teenagers rather than those middle-aged actors they used to use in the 70s and 80s

DrNO
Charter member
25381 posts
Wed Oct-26-05 02:44 PM

36. "hah, I never even considered this"

>The only things that really stood out to me in Goodfellas, was
>them trying to pass Liotta off as a 21 year old and even more,
>Pesci off as the same age.

It doesn't bother me at all.
And maybe they found a prototype 65 Impala that fell of a truck.

_
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4TztqYaemt0
http://preptimeposse.blogspot.com/

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Wed Oct-26-05 12:34 PM

22. "This is a very interesting post."
In response to Reply # 0

Some great arguments being made here. Stuff like this has always puzzled/irked me a bit too.

It never limits my enjoyment of a film/TV show...but it's on my mind...

I like this post.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Wed Oct-26-05 12:46 PM

23. "that shit bugged me so much in Finding Neverland"
In response to Reply # 0

no WAY he would be in her bedroom without a chaperone.

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Oct-26-05 01:22 PM

26. "LOL well, if you're into real historical accuracy"
In response to Reply # 23

no way was JM Barrie ANYTHING like Johnny Depp!

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Wed Oct-26-05 02:09 PM

28. "no, I know"
In response to Reply # 26

there was a LOT in that film that was erroneous.

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Oct-26-05 02:14 PM

30. "uhh... i haven't seen it"
In response to Reply # 28

but i found it so ironic that the film was being so highly praised at the exact same cultural moment that America was eagerly anticipating for Michael Jackson's destruction

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Wed Oct-26-05 02:33 PM

34. "anachronism SUCKS."
In response to Reply # 0

The Doc thought that one episode of Meth and Red (yeah, The Doc watched it, SHUT UP) where Kenny Loggins made an appearance would have been much funnier than it was, would someone have remembered that there was no way that Method Man could have inspired Kenny Loggins to write "This Is It"; the song was damn near 25 years old by the setting of the episode.

Yes, I'm mad. Let's move on.

Jays | Cavs | Eagles | Sabres | Tarheels

PSN: Dr_Claw_77 | XBL: Dr Claw 077 | FB: drclaw077 | T: @drclaw77 | http://thepeoplesvault.wordpress.com

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Oct-26-05 02:37 PM

35. "yep, i watched every episode of that show too"
In response to Reply # 34

(and no, i don't smoke)

that Kenny Loggins shit was stupid as hell, even for a blatantly over-the-top show like that one

i recall there was another dumb detail like that in the same episode that involved Chaka Khan... don't remember what it was, though

sithlord
Member since Aug 05th 2002
2832 posts
Wed Oct-26-05 02:45 PM

37. "I just want to know..."
In response to Reply # 35

What is your beef with Goodfellas?

"I mean people think this business is all about money, sex and drugs. Well, it is. But you've also got to remember it is a business. So handle your business, pay your taxes and be on time.''
-The infinite wisdom of Juicy J of Three 6 Mafia

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Oct-26-05 02:58 PM

38. "i've talked about in other posts in the past"
In response to Reply # 37

i concede that possibly one of the problems is the fact that i watched it so many years after it was originally released, after it had been imitated and parodied to death and it no longer felt fresh

but other than that, i said that "The Sopranos" is a much more effective gangster story than Goodfellas... i recognize this isn't fair either, since "The Sopranos" is so obviously post-Goodfellas

but my big issue with the film is that atmospherically it felt wrong... as discussed above, some of the casting choices were kinda odd. and the clothes looked like "costumes," making it hard for me to take it seriously

also, i recall another one of my lingering beefs was that i felt Marty was a bit... contemptuous of his characters in an odd way.

sithlord
2832 posts
Wed Oct-26-05 03:38 PM

42. "RE: i've talked about in other posts in the past"
In response to Reply # 38

Oh. I agree about the parodying of it since its release.
The Sopranos gets so much love because those guys face the same problems most professionals face (bratty kids, wondering how to put bratty kids through college, occupational hazzards, etc.), but they just happen to be mob guys.
Adds to the relatability to a certain extent.

"I mean people think this business is all about money, sex and drugs. Well, it is. But you've also got to remember it is a business. So handle your business, pay your taxes and be on time.''

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Wed Oct-26-05 03:38 PM

41. "My biggest nitpick is with music"
In response to Reply # 0

as you might guess

#1 Almost Famous - In the beginning when dude's hot sister takes off, she leaves him with a copy of Blue.

The bulk of the movie takes place '4 years later' - in 1974, unless I'm sorely mistaken. That means the intro was 1970.

Blue didn't get released until June 1971.

blah blah blah

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Oct-26-05 05:24 PM

44. "BING!"
In response to Reply # 41

and stuff like that actually IS very important in a film like Almost Famous

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Thu Oct-27-05 11:31 AM

53. "I made that complaint to my girl immediately after the flick"
In response to Reply # 44

she was like 'I thought it was great.'

It was a very Seymour moment.

She stopped returning my calls like a week later.

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Thu Oct-27-05 11:33 AM

54. "LMBAO!!!!"
In response to Reply # 53

>she was like 'I thought it was great.'
>
>It was a very Seymour moment.
>
>She stopped returning my calls like a week later.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38818 posts
Thu Oct-27-05 02:21 PM

55. "LMAO@ "seymour moment""

i've had those

kurlyswirl
16693 posts
Thu Oct-27-05 04:26 PM

56. "Hahaha...This is perfect."

>It was a very Seymour moment.

sithlord
2832 posts
Wed Oct-26-05 05:51 PM

45. "RE: My biggest nitpick is with music"
In response to Reply # 41

Maybe she had the bootleg

Dreadmedia
Charter member
34785 posts
Wed Oct-26-05 06:19 PM

47. "dude your being a troll"
In response to Reply # 0

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Thu Oct-27-05 01:14 AM

48. "IT'S REALLY FUCKING SIMPLE"
In response to Reply # 0

DROP THE SHOW

...i don't particularly care for the revised "Office", but i don't bitch about it at every turn...i'll give it a shot to find my funny and if it doesn't i won't watch......one less thing for me, and you, to bitch about..thusly making the world a brighter place...

...i understand why you don't like it, but i think it's pretty damn funny (the voiceovers need to be waaaaaaaaay less)...

..it's crazy to think that wit all the shit on TV and all the forms of media out there, people bitch about stuff they WATCH but don't like...

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Thu Oct-27-05 02:42 AM

49. "-"
In response to Reply # 48
Thu Oct-27-05 02:52 AM by ZooTown74

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Thu Oct-27-05 02:53 AM

50. "*L*"
In response to Reply # 49

if anything, it'd be the other way around..but i don't do aliases either...hell, this IS an alias...technically..

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Thu Oct-27-05 10:19 AM

52. "*shrugs* Whatever..."
In response to Reply # 50

I was actually on your side, but...
defender of all things upn

currently on backorder for me and f--- (o-), cause us "morons" need it:
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=F81az3zB07&isbn=0312144776&itm=1

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Thu Oct-27-05 07:59 AM

51. "HERE'S SOMETHING EVEN MORE FUCKING SIMPLE"
In response to Reply # 48

DON'T READ MY POSTS WHERE I EXERCISE MY RIGHT TO CRITIQUE ANY SHOW I FUCKING WANT TO, IF IT DISTURBS YOU SO MUCH

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Sat Oct-29-05 03:52 AM

59. "doesn't disturb me..."
In response to Reply # 51

..but you say the show disturbs YOU...i'm simply, strongly, suggesting if you don't like something, why watch it week after week?? i LIKE this post...it's funny...and no ones's "challenging your right", so hold that BS...

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Sat Oct-29-05 06:42 AM

60. "i never said the show disturbs me"
In response to Reply # 59

i said ANACHRONISTIC DETAILS disturb me

i mean, i don't think the show is particularly funny or original, but i "like" it... i've never missed an episode

but why is it that whenever someone mentions one thing they don't like about a show, or something they think could make it better, the reflexive response is "WELL, DON'T WATCH THE SHOW!!"

isn't that like those right wing patriot types who respond to any criticism of the American government with "IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT HERE, THEN MOVE TO FRANCE!"

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Sat Oct-29-05 12:32 PM

61. "RE: i never said the show disturbs me"
In response to Reply # 60

>i said ANACHRONISTIC DETAILS disturb me
>
ok, well since you used the show as an example, an inference was made... but yeah, i you watch something everyweek, it's gotta be hard to convine people you hate it...which you are not...cool, my bad...

>i mean, i don't think the show is particularly funny or
>original, but i "like" it... i've never missed an episode
>
i wouldn't say original, but i laugh at ery episode...

>but why is it that whenever someone mentions one thing they
>don't like about a show, or something they think could make it
>better, the reflexive response is "WELL, DON'T WATCH THE
>SHOW!!"
>
>isn't that like those right wing patriot types who respond to
>any criticism of the American government with "IF YOU DON'T
>LIKE IT HERE, THEN MOVE TO FRANCE!"

i just feel that, if you don't like a particular aspect of something, which has been addressed, and complain about it without really having a venue toward a solution...well...you're just wasting time....i can understand a discussion, but this post seems like a bunch of people who wanna talk about what's wrong wit a comedy that half don't watch and the other don't think is funny....

i understand it would be cooler if it were more accurate for you, but it isn't and won't be...and after "pootie tang" and "head of state" i don't expect for the show to be terribly well written, just pretty fuckin funny...without all the voice overs, it is....

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Sat Oct-29-05 10:54 PM

65. "THERE WERE NO RED M & M'S IN 1982!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

And everybody knows that that Starfleet logo on the white boy's costume didn't appear until the Star Trek where Hawk was the captain (they did him dirty cause he was black, btw). GET IT RIGHT, CHRIS ROCK!

And YO, that Epic Records logo on the record that was playing at the party? BULLSHIT! That was the 1989 Epic logo, the one they switched to after Columbia merged with Sony. FUCKING UPN!

And dare I mention the fact that Rick James' "Ebony Eyes" -- and I don't care if the song was played during the emotional highpoint of the episode or not, fuck that, it took me out of the episode (even though the episode was almost over) -- CAME OUT... IN 1983!!!!!!!!!! WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK?!!!!!!

GODDAMNIT I'M SICK OF THIS SHIT!

Cancel this show NOW!

No, RIGHT NOW, son!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(actually, this episode was the best since the pilot... funny and bittersweet, which is what I believe they're going for...)
defender of all things upn

currently on backorder for me and f--- (o-), cause us "morons" need it:
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=F81az3zB07&isbn=0312144776&itm=1

Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #42983 Previous topic | Next topic