Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #41045

Subject: "The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift is a MUST SEE" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Sun Jun-18-06 01:22 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift is a MUST SEE"

It is a wonderful example of how one can take an established formula (in this case, the racing movie) and paint in the numbers without adding a single thing.

Anyone even remotely familiar with the first two films (or any racing movie, for that matter) will be able to predict at least 20 events in this film.

Hilarious moments which I will cherish:

-- The first shot of our hero, who is described in the film as 17 going on 18 but looks like he could be pushing 30. INSTANT LAUGHTER.

-- The captain of the football team is played by Zachery Ty Bryan of Home Improvement fame (!!!!). INSTANT LAUGHTER.

-- When the captain starts fighting with our hero because he was flirting with the captain's girlfriend, one of them asks, "How do we settle this?" The girlfriend says, "...how about a race?" INSTANT LAUGHTER.

-- When the stakes for said race are being debated, the girl says, "How about me? The winner... gets me." INSTANT LAUGHTER AND CAT CALLS FROM THE AUDIENCE.

-- When our hero starts catching up to the captain, the girlfriend (who is RIDING IN THE PASSENGER SEAT DURING THE RACE) turns to the captain and pouts "I thought you loved me!" INSTANT LAUGHTER.

-- When our hero gets ready to pass the captain, I immediately turned to my friend and said, "God, please wink at the girl as he passes." God grants me my wish. INSTANT LAUGHTER.

-- When the cops show the video to our hero of him destroying property with his car on a particularly big and expensive-looking stunt, the hero sassily deadpans, "Can I get a copy of that?" INSTANT LAUGHTER (for the wrong reasons).

And all of these moments ARE IN THE FIRST SEVEN MINUTES.

Other things to laugh at:
- A product placement for iPod that is comically obvious.
- Bow Wow having some stereotypically black lines, mostly consisting of variations of the word "Damn" and "bruh".
- Stereotypical cross-culture hijinks (to a Southern guy, food in Japan looks WEIRD! to a Southern guy, taking off your shoes before entering a classroom is WEIRD!).
- The dad who supports at least three dad stereotypes: (1) He abandoned his wife. (2) He doesn't want his son to "repeat the same mistakes I made." (3) He's drunk and/or with a hooker-- bonus points for this movie for including both! Happy Father's Day, from your friends in Tokyo Drift!
- The REALLY awful and gratuitous rap/techno music used CONSTANTLY. One cool chase scene would be satisfying...if "Bawitdaba" wasn't the absolute loudest thing coming out of the theater speakers. EXCEPTION: the HILARIOUSLY GREAT use of that Dipset whistle song at a key moment in the film.
- Thankfully, these people live in a world where every potential conflict is solved by having a race. At least six or seven times does someone say a variation of "let's race."
- The shot of our hero doing a cool move, and an onlooker says very deadpan to the onlooker next to him, "Not bad."
- The main girl's jawline. Jesus, that woman could crush a soda can with that thing.

The only thing that I really dug in this film was Sonny Chiba, hamming up every scene he's in. And the cars were cool, if that's your thing. But you will recognize every cliche, every single joke, every move this movie makes at least five steps in advance.

My advice: if you go with four or five of your friends and provide running commentary to the movie, you will have a blast. So call em up and get out there.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Just got back. Couldnt agree more longo!!!
Jun 18th 2006
that cameo isn't a spoiler at all
Jun 18th 2006
      I thought I saw Dude in the commercial!!!
Jun 19th 2006
haha ye. yknow wat tho i had fun seeing this.
Jun 18th 2006
wow
Jun 18th 2006
honestly, id rate it very high
Jun 18th 2006
u talkn bout the bit where..
Jun 18th 2006
No, it's a pretty fun movie (this post may be spoilerific)
Jun 18th 2006
      Box office was a fairly close third place (24 million).
Jun 18th 2006
RE: The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift is a MUST SEE
Jun 18th 2006
lol. almost makes me want to see it. almost.
Jun 18th 2006
I was thinking about getting drunk at TGIFriday's before
Jun 18th 2006
i had a lot of fun watching this
Jun 18th 2006
everytime dude called himself a "gaijin" i LOLed
Jun 18th 2006
That's it...I'm seeing it.
Jun 18th 2006
RE: The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift is a MUST SEE
Jun 18th 2006
lol @ "oriental girls"
Jun 18th 2006
& lol @ And yeah, I know how ignorant that is, but shit happens.
Jul 03rd 2006
lol @ Don't expect Oscar winning performances and dialogue
Jul 03rd 2006
Are you independently wealthy or something?
Jun 18th 2006
lol
Jun 18th 2006
      RE: lol
Jul 03rd 2006
I don't plan on seeing it until DVD, but I'm pissed at Universal
Jun 22nd 2006
I'm finna *legally* find me a copy...
Jun 22nd 2006
this sounds fantastic
Jun 22nd 2006
*settles for his 'Terrifying Girls' High School' DVD*
Jun 23rd 2006
they should've just called this movie Cars.
Jun 23rd 2006
RE: This movie will tank
Jun 26th 2006
Nathalie Kelley
Jun 26th 2006
But was it funnier than Waist Deep?
Jun 27th 2006
..who was that aussie girl?
Jul 02nd 2006
Nathalie Kelley
Aug 13th 2006
The bootleg was on point tho...
Aug 13th 2006

dgonsh
Member since Aug 14th 2002
10693 posts
Sun Jun-18-06 02:41 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Just got back. Couldnt agree more longo!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

great fun. predicted almost every event in the film.

not to mention.... (SLIGHT SPOILER)

most laughable cameo ever!!!

i enjoyed myself though. and some of the girls were unbelievable. lardlad would love this movie!

"I *always* quote myself. I'm the only reliable source on *most* subjects" - OKP's First Lady of Knowledge, Janey

magilla vanilla
Member since Sep 13th 2002
18749 posts
Sun Jun-18-06 08:28 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "that cameo isn't a spoiler at all"
In response to Reply # 1

they've added it to the trailers now. Needless to say, maybe "Find Me Guilty" didn't go over so well. . .

---------------------------------
Photo zine(some images NSFW): http://bit.ly/USaSPhoto

"This (and every, actually) conversation needs more Chesterton and less Mike Francesa." - Walleye

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Mon Jun-19-06 06:28 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
19. "I thought I saw Dude in the commercial!!!"
In response to Reply # 3

I didn't see this piece of trash movie but I kept seeing my man in the trailers and thought my eyes were deceiving me.

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Sun Jun-18-06 04:29 AM

2. "haha ye. yknow wat tho i had fun seeing this."
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Jun-18-06 04:29 AM by araQual

i didn't even wanna see it really, i hadn't even seen part 2 (not i'd need to), but i was pleasantly surprised. all those problems/cliches aside, i thought the chase sequences were great, and the drifting itself was top notch.

as for those two old onlookers, my friend kept telling me one of the dudes is an oldskool Japanese drifter/race car driver, which is why they had him saying those couple of lines (very subtle filmmaking here hehe).

i HATED the main character. i hated his fucking accent, aw man it grated on me sooo fuckn bad! n like u said, first thing i laughed at was his age (he looks like late 20s/early 30s) and the fucking older brother from Home Improvement making an acting turn as a jackass, much like how Anthony Michael Hall went from playing nerds to a pig-headed jock in "Edward Scissorhands" lol. i swear if that first race were true to life, all 3 of those fools woulda died in the first scene of the film lol.

n ye, pretty much co-sign everything else u said.

i DID like that ending though, and i already could tell who would be racing the main dude in that last scene. was a nice touch.

and one line i can't stop saying:

"ready!.....setto!....GO!"

lol.

V.

---
http://confessionsofacurlymind.com
https://soundcloud.com/confessionsofacurlymindredux
https://soundcloud.com/generic80sbadguy
https://soundcloud.com/miles_matheson

DROkayplayer™

tetsuo
Member since Sep 07th 2005
48 posts
Sun Jun-18-06 10:26 AM

4. "wow"
In response to Reply # 0

i'm guessing your review is more fun than the actual movie. how would you rate it action/explosion/spectacle-wise?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
chris kaman looks like: http://dan.criticalblogs.com/#linkcat10-title

dgonsh
Member since Aug 14th 2002
10693 posts
Sun Jun-18-06 12:00 PM

5. "honestly, id rate it very high"
In response to Reply # 4

the cgi effects are very limited. they really went out and did many if not most, if not all! of the race sequences. on a scale of 1-10, the action/race sequences are a 10. i mean what else can you ask for? there's one scene in the streets of tokyo that was almost spine tingling. the whole theatre was gasping.

"I *always* quote myself. I'm the only reliable source on *most* subjects" - OKP's First Lady of Knowledge, Janey

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Sun Jun-18-06 12:28 PM

6. "u talkn bout the bit where.."
In response to Reply # 5

..they're gettin chased and they drive through a crowded place & the crowd disperses just in time as they drift through? cos that one was pretty damn good hehe.

V.

---

DROkayplayer™

Kuahmel
Member since Aug 30th 2003
15005 posts
Sun Jun-18-06 12:47 PM

7. "No, it's a pretty fun movie (this post may be spoilerific)"
In response to Reply # 4

I went with my brothers.

It's a thrill ride as well as a base for you to get your MST3K/Mad Movies on.

Because I had so much commentary to lend to each scene:
-"Who races over a B--CH?!?"
-"C'mon, man, don't crash the car."
-"Why would you crash your Viper into an under-construction Monte Carlo over a B--CH?!?"
-"I wouldn't give a goddamn high school kid no Viper ANY frickin' way!"
-"Young white boys who are captains of football teams need pimpin' skills. Straight being captains for chicks that aren't worth it."
-I'd have thrown her punk a-- out right on the spot, then stopped and told homeboy 'Nice driving.'"
-"Can't protagonists of movies tell a broad who is already someone's girl to keep it steppin'? Is the hero always a homewrecker?"
-"Rule number 1-10 of drifting: DON'T CRASH THE CAR!"
-"Nice Jordan product placement"
-"I thought brothers were supposed to have squabs."
-"Here this fool is again fawning over a B--CH! Why don't he just bag up a few single chicks and get on with his life?"
-"STOP CRASHING THE CAR!! Driving me nuts over here, man! Quit crashing the goddamn car!!"
-You ain't no hero. Don't even think about it ::KABOOM!!::"
-"WHAT?!? A Nissan engine in a FORD?!? BLASPHEMY!"
-"These cats have some hellified beef to crash cars like they keep doing."

Beyond that though, while it wouldn't have been my first choice, it wasn't a waste of money. I wonder what the box office numbers will say (the theater only had 20 people in it for a pretty hot Saturday afternoon in a part of town where there isn't that much else to do).

...with who? THA DOODOOMAN!!!
www.homestarrunner.com/vcr_poop.html

kill all whites today & we'll still be f'd up. we fight over BS political ideas & ethnic allegiances but scared to defend resources of our own land. the only savior is self--thegodcam

Kuahmel
Member since Aug 30th 2003
15005 posts
Sun Jun-18-06 09:46 PM

17. "Box office was a fairly close third place (24 million)."
In response to Reply # 7

Behind Cars (about 31 million) and Nacho Libre (approx. 27 mil.)

...with who? THA DOODOOMAN!!!
www.homestarrunner.com/vcr_poop.html

kill all whites today & we'll still be f'd up. we fight over BS political ideas & ethnic allegiances but scared to defend resources of our own land. the only savior is self--thegodcam

volleyneck
Member since Aug 23rd 2003
1767 posts
Sun Jun-18-06 02:37 PM

8. "RE: The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift is a MUST SEE"
In response to Reply # 0

thanks for the review man that's hilarious. I came on here to see what's reviewed so far, you got me. I'll check it out.

*~.~:~.~*~I~*~.~:~.~*

rambunctious
Charter member
13496 posts
Sun Jun-18-06 04:10 PM

9. "lol. almost makes me want to see it. almost."
In response to Reply # 0

the legendary sigs:

http://www.myspace.com/georica

will_5198
Charter member
63107 posts
Sun Jun-18-06 04:26 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "I was thinking about getting drunk at TGIFriday's before"
In response to Reply # 0

that's how I got through X3

and there sure looks to be a lot of asian pussy

--------

magicmedicine
Member since Jul 19th 2002
2551 posts
Sun Jun-18-06 05:02 PM

11. "i had a lot of fun watching this"
In response to Reply # 0

i didnt see part 2; but every other movie was sold out friday nite.

but it was incredibly fun. the CGI was not over the top, and all the action scenes were cool.

the only time i was reminded i was watching a fast and furious movie was with the dialogue. they should have kept the talking to a minimum. but i guess it did provide for some unintenional comedy.

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Sun Jun-18-06 05:16 PM

12. "everytime dude called himself a "gaijin" i LOLed"
In response to Reply # 11

was too funny, specially wit that accent.

"weyull, maaaybee aaii AAYYYUMM a GUUUYYJEEENNN..."

V.

---

DROkayplayer™

CliffDogg
Member since Dec 19th 2004
18078 posts
Sun Jun-18-06 05:26 PM

13. "That's it...I'm seeing it."
In response to Reply # 0

Calling up the boys, killing a couple cases before, lighting a blunt, and letting hilarity ensue.

----

THFC
F1
MotoGP

DeeKay
Member since Jan 22nd 2006
585 posts
Sun Jun-18-06 07:25 PM

14. "RE: The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift is a MUST SEE"
In response to Reply # 0

I personally loved it. Didn't even wanna see it, wanted to see Hard Candy but was basically forced into this, and I really enjoyed it. From the trailers I thought the lead would drive me insane with his accent but I tolerated it. His limited acting range surpasses anything Paul Walker's done thus far.

The girls were HOT. I mean they surpassed any of my expectations. My opinion of oriental girls actually got shifted as a result of this movie. And yeah, I know how ignorant that is, but shit happens.

The cars were hot, some of the races were ridiculous and yeah, it was predictable but it's the best in the trilogy if you ask me. Definately fun, definately worth seeing. Don't expect Oscar winning performances and dialogue but its fast and sexy, which is what it sets out to be.

*SPOILER

And I shouted "oh shit!" out loud in a fairly packed cinema when Vin Diesel came on screen at the end. Mindless trash as it is, I'm quite a fan of this franchise and that was a nice lil' touch it close it if you ask me. Still can't act tho.

High Fidelity @ www.deekayonline.com

Fresh Cuts with DJ DeeKay and Chinners on Roundhouse Radio, Saturdays at 8pm (GMT), http://www.roundhouseradio.org.uk

CliffDogg
Member since Dec 19th 2004
18078 posts
Sun Jun-18-06 07:42 PM

15. "lol @ "oriental girls""
In response to Reply # 14

----

THFC
F1
MotoGP

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Mon Jul-03-06 04:16 PM

30. "& lol @ And yeah, I know how ignorant that is, but shit happens."
In response to Reply # 15

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Mon Jul-03-06 04:11 PM

29. "lol @ Don't expect Oscar winning performances and dialogue"
In response to Reply # 14

Bridgetown
Member since Dec 04th 2004
27565 posts
Sun Jun-18-06 09:44 PM

16. "Are you independently wealthy or something?"
In response to Reply # 0

You spend a lot of money on movies I wouldn't even spend the time downloading let alone rent.

That's money that could be used for Feed The Children... or Popsicles...

--Maurice

_____

Bonding over sutures is what's hot in Oh-Nine.
--JS

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66741 posts
Sun Jun-18-06 10:11 PM

18. "lol"
In response to Reply # 16

I was wonderin if people just went to see for the sake of PTP.

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Mon Jul-03-06 04:18 PM

31. "RE: lol"
In response to Reply # 18

>I was wonderin if people just went to see for the sake of
>PTP.

I thought cats were savin that 4 SoaP son

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Thu Jun-22-06 04:31 PM

20. "I don't plan on seeing it until DVD, but I'm pissed at Universal"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jun-22-06 04:33 PM by ZooTown74

for giving away the "surprise ending" in the commercials for the movie (and yes, that is a spoiler. If he's not in the credits, or in the movie other than that final scene, it's a spoiler, guys). I won't say what it is, but once I saw it, I knew what it was, and had it confirmed when I consulted one of my movie spoiler pages.
____________________________________________________________________________________
"Both teams played hard, my man."
-Rasheed Wallace, providing my new stock response to any future OKP "board beef" starters

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28842 posts
Thu Jun-22-06 06:14 PM

21. "I'm finna *legally* find me a copy..."
In response to Reply # 0

Why spend 9.99 when you can get it for free?

No empathy for white misery (c) BDot

"root for everybody black haters say that's crazy, wow..."

Esco
Charter member
44856 posts
Thu Jun-22-06 06:57 PM

22. "this sounds fantastic"
In response to Reply # 0

DarkStar
Charter member
20015 posts
Fri Jun-23-06 12:05 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
23. "*settles for his 'Terrifying Girls' High School' DVD*"
In response to Reply # 0

http://thelastdaysofrussell.bandcamp.com (soon - "Election Day on Monster Island")

Mr. Merge
Member since Dec 29th 2005
1947 posts
Fri Jun-23-06 01:18 AM

24. "they should've just called this movie Cars."
In response to Reply # 23

?

---------------------------------------
http://redesignyourmindmuzik.podomatic.com/

www.soundcloud.com/redesignyourmindmuzik

www.redesignyourmindmuzik.bandcamp.com/

www.youtube.com/user/thesirmittens

maternalbliss
Member since Jul 05th 2005
2553 posts
Mon Jun-26-06 07:08 PM

25. "RE: This movie will tank"
In response to Reply # 0

It's been out 2 weeks and has not even cracked 50 million.
I was not a huge fan of the first two and this one just does not interest me. Adding Bow Wow to the cast was a BIG mistake

Rick Fox Jr
Member since Feb 28th 2003
12029 posts
Mon Jun-26-06 09:53 PM

26. "Nathalie Kelley"
In response to Reply # 0

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Tue Jun-27-06 10:14 AM

27. "But was it funnier than Waist Deep?"
In response to Reply # 0

I find that hard to believe.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Sun Jul-02-06 06:01 PM

28. "..who was that aussie girl?"
In response to Reply # 0

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Sun Aug-13-06 12:35 PM

33. "Nathalie Kelley"
In response to Reply # 28

Biography for
Nathalie Kelley

Mini biography

Nathalie Kelley was born in Lima, Peru in 1985.

Kelley might have been raised in Peru if her French-born mother hadn't divorced her Argentine father and married an Irishman who brought the family to Australia.

She was raised and educated in Sydney's North Sydney Girls High School, the same school as Nicole Kidman.

The young actor, who has been torn between show business and an academic life, says she never met Kidman but the 38-year-old superstar has been a long-time inspiration.

When she was 16 she became a salsa dancer which helped her get the money to finish education. Also "The Miss Latin America competition" earned for her a much-needed $1000 and the next thing she took a year off and went to Brazil.

The things Kelley saw there prompted her to shun show business and come home to launch herself into a social science degree.

Kelley was three years into the degree when she came back into the performing fold to take the title role for the Aaron Spelling-produced TV pilot Mermaid.

She determined to finish her course one day and even to go on to do a PhD, but in the meantime she often feel torn between two worlds.

Kelley went to Los Angeles and told agents she wanted to be in the sort of films she had grown up with mainly serious art-house productions, but was warned that such single-mindedness would send her broke.

And in the end she opted for The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (2006) because the character of Neela in the film is such a strong individual. She's not simply a trophy girlfriend who is a pushover for the first attractive Anglo-Saxon boy who comes along.

While director Justin Lin is on the record as saying Kelley is one of those irresistible stars whose presence demands we watch her on the big screen, she was more preoccupied with the driving.

Kelley, who had only recently earned her driver's license and had only driven automatics, had a huge learning curve when it came to using a gear lever, timing, braking and understanding the art of drifting.
IMDb mini-biography by
Aidar "MAcroS" Nadraliev
Trivia

She has done much volunteer work, for example working with Aborigines in the suburb of Redfern, one of the lower socio-economic areas of the Australian city of Sydney.

Born in Lima, Peru in 1985, but was raised in Sydney, Australia.

She attended the same high school as Nicole Kidman: "North Sydney Girls High School", in Sydney, Australia.

Classmate of Thea Gumbert.

---

DROkayplayer™

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28842 posts
Sun Aug-13-06 12:24 PM

32. "The bootleg was on point tho..."
In response to Reply # 0

This was the most unbelievable idea ever. Someone ex football player from Texas goes to Tokyo and becomes a drifter in 3 weeks. He walks into a Yakuza stronghold and walks out unfazed???

As long as I get Paul Walker and Vin in the sequel I'll be fine.

No empathy for white misery (c) BDot

"root for everybody black haters say that's crazy, wow..."

Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #41045 Previous topic | Next topic