Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #39508

Subject: "how did you get BACK into comic books?" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Nov-01-05 02:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"how did you get BACK into comic books?"

and when/why did you leave in the first place?

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: how did you get BACK into comic books?
Nov 01st 2005
yeah, that sounds similar to my general experience
Nov 01st 2005
I've left twice now
Nov 01st 2005
As a once proud Marvel reader, it saddens me to say...
Nov 01st 2005
      Yeah, last Marvel book I picked up was Spiderman
Nov 01st 2005
      The "clone" saga lives in infamy as...
Nov 01st 2005
           RE: The "clone" saga lives in infamy as...
Nov 01st 2005
                The guy who was Spider-Man was always the real Peter Parker
Nov 01st 2005
      Daredevil is worth it.
Nov 01st 2005
           Yeah, I'm thinking about going and getting into the back isses
Nov 01st 2005
           RE: Daredevil is worth it.
Nov 01st 2005
I was going through my closet
Nov 01st 2005
this was a big issue for me, too
Nov 01st 2005
      continuity is a scary thing, man
Nov 01st 2005
      My X-Men advice
Nov 01st 2005
Nice Spin-Off
Nov 01st 2005
JRennolds deserves a man of the year award or something
Nov 01st 2005
The man is a visionary
Nov 01st 2005
Yeah, this place is a big factor to dragging me back in
Nov 01st 2005
I think this is true for a lot of us
Nov 01st 2005
      i've been thinking about this lately
Nov 01st 2005
           yeah, I don't look at it as regression either
Nov 01st 2005
Let me just say, I love PTP
Nov 01st 2005
LOL bascally
Nov 01st 2005
I Fell In Love With A Girl
Nov 01st 2005
thats hilarious
Nov 02nd 2005
i pretty much know WHEN i stopped
Nov 01st 2005
...like riding a bicycle
Nov 01st 2005
How I got out...
Nov 01st 2005
I left when Power of Shazam! got boring
Nov 01st 2005
never really quit
Nov 01st 2005
a book store was closing and i asked...
Nov 01st 2005
Nov 01st 2005
Nov 01st 2005
These three titles got me back:
Nov 01st 2005
Madman was GREAT.
Nov 01st 2005
great post afkap
Nov 01st 2005
yeah, i'd like to know when and why you stopped
Nov 01st 2005
My name is Miles, and I....read comic books.
Nov 01st 2005
oh shit..you hung out with Jim Mahfood!
Nov 01st 2005
      Mahfood is one of my heroes
Nov 01st 2005
      You ever check out Evan Dorkin?
Nov 02nd 2005
      Yeah, he's still a good friend, actually.
Nov 01st 2005
i was a preteen in the early 90s
Nov 01st 2005
Nov 02nd 2005
i stopped because sports/sportscards were my life after
Nov 02nd 2005
why'd i leave?
Nov 02nd 2005

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44713 posts
Tue Nov-01-05 02:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "RE: how did you get BACK into comic books?"
In response to Reply # 0

First why I left:

College. Not, as in, "I was in college and too cool to collect comics," but as in it just wasn't very convenient to get somewhere to buy them anymore. For some reason in West Philly near the mid-1990s, there weren't a lot of comic stores near campus. The closest I got in the beginning was a rack in the small Tower Records across the street from my freshman dorm, but they didn't sell the stuff I liked. I didn't feel like going down to South Street every weekend. Figuring this out, I paired down the number of titles I wanted to collect and talked my brother into heading to comic shop every week, and then having my mom mail me the comics. I think he got tired of it. During senior year, a comic book store opened up right on campus, and I kept up with a few titles, by I was already pairing stuff down.

Since I was kind of out of practice by the time I got back from school, I had difficulty getting back into stuff. And besides, most of the titles weren't as enjoyable anymore. Most of the Image comics had fallen off. Hulk was getting wack ever ssince he left eh Pantheon. There was all that Onslaught bullshit. So I think I just kept on collecting Savage Dragon, Thunderbolts, and the new JLA. By the time I went to grad school it was just JLA. Theb I got out school and got a full-time job, and I stopped that too.

How I got back:

Not really sure. I guess I kept a tangential interest in JLA and another one of my friends has always maintained his love. So it had been in the background for a while now. I started buying TPBs of old stories, like Hush, V is For Venetta, and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I bought all seven issues of Identity Crisis. I've started buying the Preacher TPBs. And now I'm firmly into Infite Crisis.

I guess I'm not going to be as deep into it as I was in high school or the first few years of college, but I still find the shit enjoyable.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Nov-01-05 02:55 PM

2. "yeah, that sounds similar to my general experience"
In response to Reply # 1

i'll get into it in a little more detail later

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

OldPro
Member since Dec 10th 2002
34401 posts
Tue Nov-01-05 03:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "I've left twice now"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Nov-01-05 03:12 PM by OldPro

Once in the early 80s and again in the mid 90s. Both times, I just got bored with the books I was buying and felt they had nothing new to add to the characters legacy. (I've always liked limited series for just this reason) That's why when I left the Marvel books I came back buying DC and Image. I wanted something different and new. I've been thinking about starting up again but I'm not sure what to buy. I've thought about going back to Marvel, but from what little I've seen of their books lately, I'm not too sure that would be a good move.

mrhood75
44713 posts
Tue Nov-01-05 03:18 PM

4. "As a once proud Marvel reader, it saddens me to say..."
In response to Reply # 3

...that I can barely think of a single Marvel title I'd have any interest in picking up now.

They've pissed all over the Avengers. The Hulk, Spider-Man, and the X-Titles all look stupid. The only things that would vaguely interesting are Black Panther and Daredevil. And I've been out of the loop so long in Marvel, I don't even know if I should bother.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

OldPro
34401 posts
Tue Nov-01-05 03:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Yeah, last Marvel book I picked up was Spiderman"
In response to Reply # 4

Must have been 94 or so. Any way, they had a twist where his clone had come back. Only it was supposed to be the real spider-man and it was the clone that had been living Peter's life all these years. Not sure how they played that out, but it wasn't moving me.

mrhood75
44713 posts
Tue Nov-01-05 03:40 PM

13. "The "clone" saga lives in infamy as..."
In response to Reply # 5

...one of the worst comic brain-farts ever. I tremendous waste of time by all accounts. I think it is safe to say that nothing good came out of that whole debacle.

Anyway, that was right around when I started falling off with Spider-Man. I heard about the clone thing coming and just quit.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

OldPro
34401 posts
Tue Nov-01-05 04:56 PM

22. "RE: The "clone" saga lives in infamy as..."
In response to Reply # 13

>...one of the worst comic brain-farts ever. I tremendous
>waste of time by all accounts. I think it is safe to say that
>nothing good came out of that whole debacle.
>
>Anyway, that was right around when I started falling off with
>Spider-Man. I heard about the clone thing coming and just
>quit.

So was the Peter that came back the real Peter or was he the clone?

mrhood75
44713 posts
Tue Nov-01-05 06:56 PM

31. "The guy who was Spider-Man was always the real Peter Parker"
In response to Reply # 22

The clone thing was devised by Green Goblin as a way to fuck with Peter's mind. The clone, who they at one time thought was the real Peter PArker, was killed. It was all really, really confusing and offensively stupid.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Nov-01-05 03:34 PM

8. "Daredevil is worth it."
In response to Reply # 4

Bendis's run was one of the things that brought me back to comics

mrhood75
44713 posts
Tue Nov-01-05 03:41 PM

14. "Yeah, I'm thinking about going and getting into the back isses"
In response to Reply # 8

OR maybe there are TPBs available or something.

But I'll still never forgive Bendis for Avengers: Disassembled.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

OldPro
34401 posts
Tue Nov-01-05 04:58 PM

24. "RE: Daredevil is worth it."
In response to Reply # 8
Tue Nov-01-05 04:59 PM by OldPro

I've just never really liked the character of Daredevil. I picked up a few of his books back in the day, but it seemed like a Spider-man spin off then. They were always crossing over into each others books and fighting many of the same villians.

KangolLove
Charter member
40694 posts
Tue Nov-01-05 03:29 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "I was going through my closet"
In response to Reply # 0

I pulled out some old comics and started reading them. Maybe recently seeing the Spider-Man movie was an influence too. This lead to frequent trips to the comic store, as well as lots of internet research to try to figure out what the hell had been going on in these books. I had been scared off from superhero books for a while, fearing I'd try to read them and not understand any of the continuity. But I've always felt that if you like something or find something interesting, you should find out as much as there is to know about it (I've always hated the idea of merely skimming the surface.)Reading comics has also helped me unlock more creative outlets in my brain.

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Nov-01-05 03:36 PM

9. "this was a big issue for me, too"
In response to Reply # 6

>I had been scared off from
>superhero books for a while, fearing I'd try to read them and
>not understand any of the continuity.

i still haven't completely gotten over it, either. which is probably one of the reasons why it took me a long time to pick up JSA and i still refuse to touch any X-titles (i recently checked out Astonishing, though)

buckshot defunct
Member since May 02nd 2003
26345 posts
Tue Nov-01-05 03:50 PM

18. "continuity is a scary thing, man"
In response to Reply # 9

But God bless the digital age. Wikipedia, .CBR's... all things considered it hasn't been that difficult to play catch up. I'm still not completely there yet, especially considering I'm reading a lot titles for the first time ever (the DC stuff mainly), plus you know what they say, the more things change, the more they stay the same. Seems to hold true with comics especially.

KangolLove
Charter member
40694 posts
Tue Nov-01-05 04:53 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
21. "My X-Men advice"
In response to Reply # 9

Read the Grant Morrison stuff, but ignore anything else from the last 15 years. Trying to keep up with it is a big headache. I was even buying trades like Inferno and Fall of the Mutants, but it's all still just a bunch of convoluted mess.

It's amazing how the most popular comic book franchise takes a cryptic decoding to try to make any sense of it. Then again, America's current favorite book is the DaVinci Code.

buckshot defunct
26345 posts
Tue Nov-01-05 03:33 PM

7. "Nice Spin-Off"
In response to Reply # 0

Why I left:

Short answer: Girls

Long answer: High school, new interests (see above), general lack of quality in the stuff I was reading at the time... Moved to a new town in the Summer and didn't know anybody- Okay, generally isolation is a good reason to read comics, but for me they weren't nearly as fun without my homeboys there to bounce "Who is the X-Traitor" theories off of. I sort of slowly phased out of it, relapsing on occasion. I guess this would have been a prime time for me to discover indies, but unfortunately I didn't. I just kind of thought I had "outgrown" comics altogether, even though I never lost my fondness for them. Oddly enough I didn't stop drawing them, either. Although it was around this time I got more interested in the humorous comic strip format than the superhero comic book format. I stopped wanting to be the next Jim Lee, and instead set my sights on cats like Bill Watterson and Gary Larson.

Why I came back:

You motherfuckers played a big part in it. I'd regularly lurk the Comic Book of the Week posts, just to kind of get a feel for what was going on. My interest was piqued. On top of that, my co-workers are all comic geeks, and one of them lent me the first six issues of Astonishing X-Men. I think the next week I tried setting foot in a comic shop again, but it was completely overwhelming and I ran out whimpering. Fast forward a few months and I'm back with a vengeance. Man I am *this* close to starting a pull list and everything.

I also think that being older, out of school, and married has something to do with it. Maybe a sort of longing for a second adolesence? A quarter-life crisis perhaps?

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Nov-01-05 03:39 PM

11. "JRennolds deserves a man of the year award or something"
In response to Reply # 7

>You motherfuckers played a big part in it. I'd regularly lurk
>the Comic Book of the Week posts, just to kind of get a feel
>for what was going on. My interest was piqued.

JR basically pulled this whole thing off by himself, dragging us old sumbitches in with him. i can remember when he used to rave about comics in Okayartist and nobody knew what the hell he was talking about.

buckshot defunct
26345 posts
Tue Nov-01-05 03:42 PM

15. "The man is a visionary"
In response to Reply # 11

I mean, how many copies of Infinite Crisis #1 did this man sell? Dude deserves some fucking residuals, at the very least.

mrhood75
44713 posts
Tue Nov-01-05 03:48 PM

17. "Yeah, this place is a big factor to dragging me back in"
In response to Reply # 7

If I want to understand what y'all are talking about 75%, I gotta start shelling out money for new issues and shit. OR just spend a lot of time on Wikipedia.

And for the record, I was far too much of a geek to ever let girls come between me comics. But that's probably why I never dated in high school.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

KangolLove
Charter member
40694 posts
Tue Nov-01-05 04:56 PM

23. "I think this is true for a lot of us"
In response to Reply # 7

>Maybe a sort of longing for a second
>adolesence? A quarter-life crisis perhaps?

I mean, I was going around buying freakin action figures last year.

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Nov-01-05 06:02 PM

26. "i've been thinking about this lately"
In response to Reply # 23

>>Maybe a sort of longing for a second
>>adolesence? A quarter-life crisis perhaps?

especially since the girlfriend accused me of "reliving my childhood"

i don't think i'm regressing to childhood or adolescence, and i think the manner i approach comics now is completely adult (well, as adult as you can get reading about musclebound dudes in long johns punching each other through walls)

but there IS a certain feeling of comfort and happiness i find reading and talking about comics... a certain safety of going back to a purer, simpler time in my life

buckshot defunct
26345 posts
Tue Nov-01-05 06:22 PM

27. "yeah, I don't look at it as regression either"
In response to Reply # 26

>>>Maybe a sort of longing for a second
>>>adolesence? A quarter-life crisis perhaps?
>
>especially since the girlfriend accused me of "reliving my
>childhood"
>
>i don't think i'm regressing to childhood or adolescence, and
>i think the manner i approach comics now is completely adult
>(well, as adult as you can get reading about musclebound dudes
>in long johns punching each other through walls)
>
>but there IS a certain feeling of comfort and happiness i find
>reading and talking about comics... a certain safety of going
>back to a purer, simpler time in my life

It's not like I come home from work and start running around the house in my underoos or anything. But I guess there's still that "safety net" quality that comics give me that I just don't get from movies or music.

Everything you just said rings pretty true with me as well. I think what got me thinking along these lines was that "Recommend a Trade" post, which I think lonesome d started, and someone (maybe him) mentioned that he had just gotten married or something like that. I was kinda in the same boat; I've been out of school for a couple years and I'm doing all that "grown up" stuff now. Comics are a nice little escape from that.

That's not the only factor, it's probably not even the biggest factor, but it's there, and I bet a lot of us can relate.

OldPro
34401 posts
Tue Nov-01-05 03:37 PM

10. "Let me just say, I love PTP"
In response to Reply # 0

Anyplace where I can talk comics and porn is alright by me lol

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Nov-01-05 03:40 PM

12. "LOL bascally"
In response to Reply # 10

Melanism
Charter member
20449 posts
Tue Nov-01-05 03:44 PM

16. "I Fell In Love With A Girl"
In response to Reply # 0

I was collectiong right up until college. I started dating this girl in Queens and was spending every weekend going back to Long Island or to Queens to see this girl so I couldn't look her in the eyes and tell her the reason I wasn't coming is because there were three variant covers of Spawn #25 so I just went cold turkey and stopped buying altogether (although I would go into a comic shop every once and awhile and see what was going on)

A year after we broke up and I was all depressed and shit, my friend told me about X-Men #25/Wolverine #75 when Wolverine got his claws pulled out and that was the first comic I bought in threee years.

Then my junior and senior year roommate also collected comics and it was on again. He got me into all the DC stuff I didn't read before. We would alternate so neither of us bought the same comics.

And I never looked back.

STAAAAAAAAAAANDING TAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLL
---------------
http://melanism.com

"What, Chicks? No, No, Fuck Chicks! I just wanna dance. I just wanna express myself through the art of dance..."
--Dane Cook

Effa
Charter member
29371 posts
Wed Nov-02-05 01:46 AM

45. "thats hilarious"
In response to Reply # 16

>I was collectiong right up until college. I started dating
>this girl in Queens and was spending every weekend going back
>to Long Island or to Queens to see this girl so I couldn't
>look her in the eyes and tell her the reason I wasn't coming
>is because there were three variant covers of Spawn #25 so I
>just went cold turkey and stopped buying altogether (although
>I would go into a comic shop every once and awhile and see
>what was going on)

thats how brody should've broke up with "brenda" in mallrats

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Nov-01-05 04:12 PM

19. "i pretty much know WHEN i stopped"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Nov-01-05 04:19 PM by AFKAP_of_Darkness

but it’s hard for me to determine exactly WHY.

when was late 1993/94 when i came back to America. my comic reading experience in Nigeria had been very different: for one thing, we didn’t have comic book stores then. so you just went to a supermarket or bookstore or wherever and picked up whatever comics you could… you were never sure they were gonna have the next issue the following month, so you tried your best to find people who had the issues you didn’t have, and trade with them (or in my case, buy them off them since i didn’t like to part with any of my comics)

this gave comics fandom a certain energy… you were constantly trying to keep up, so you were always communing with other fans, filling each other in on plotlines and trying to find yet more fans to commune with. i think i became addicted to this paradigm; it became part of my concept of reading comics

when i came to the States and went to comic stores for the first time, it was just sensory overload. for the first time, every comic i wanted was at my fingertips: not just the next issue, but all the past issues going back 20, 30 years too. and i quickly realized that i could not afford to buy them all… hell, i didn’t even have the time to READ them all.

but as it turned out, i didn’t even WANT to read them all. it was like i arrived in America at the exact moment that the comics industry started losing their minds. this was the dawn of the Image era, and there were hundreds of new titles from companies i had never even heard of, and they were all dark, ultra-violent with Rob Liefeld-influenced artwork.

i HATED Image with a passion and refused to touch any of their books. the Image influence had started rubbing off on Marvel too, so i decided to stop reading Marvels.

meanwhile, DC was acting funny-style… The Death of Superman seemed cynical and exploitative to me and they were royally fucking up my favorite comic book character with this Knightfall business.

another thing that discouraged me from mainstream comics and the comics scene was actually meeting comics FANS. back in Nigeria, comic reading was not really considered a cool thing to do if you were older than, say, 14 but it didn’t necessarily stop you from getting pussy. most of our comics fans were nowhere near the arrested development cases i was meeting in comic stores here, and i knew i didn’t want to be included in any scene they were a part of

so i stuck with Vertigo, buying just about anything that was written by a Brit, had surreal artwork and a photo-collage cover. plus, Vertigos were easier to follow because they were a lot more arc-driven than other comics of the day.

i was still interested in breaking into comics and i had run into writer Tom Sniegowski at a comic store, and he told me to try submitting to smaller presses like Caliber. i picked up a few Caliber books but found them somewhat amateurish

i joined the military, went to basic training, came back to no job… i was so broke i could barely make rent or eat decent meals, so comics were out of the question. i could still scrape together enough to keep up with Hellblazer (until Garth Ennis’s run ended) and Love & Rockets (since it came out so seldomly). i had stopped following Sandman halfway through the penultimate arc “The Kindly Ones” since that was one of the first books to be collected on a regular basis, so i decided i would just cop the trades when i was flush

anyway, i never left comics completely… through the 90s i continued to read Preacher and just about everything Alan Moore wrote, and some other Vertigo titles like 100 Bullets… but i never went anywhere NEAR the superhero section.

hell, there were times i’d see comic book posts here on OKP and try to join in based on my past knowledge, and i realized that i was hopelessly out of touch. i didn’t even know the majority of creators working in the industry at present, let alone what was going on in the stories

that changed earlier this year. two things happened:

1. i went to the comic store and realized i had nothing to read. Preacher was long gone… Alan Moore was walking away from his ABC titles. i didn’t feel like reading Ennis’s Punisher anymore… but i didn’t feel like leaving empty-handed. so i went to the “Mature” shelf and tried to find some Vertigo stuff i hadn’t read. couldn’t find anything…

what i DID find was the TPB of Powers: “Who Killed Retro Girl?” i had seen it around for a while and was intrigued by the cartoony art and dramatic layouts, but i always thought the trade was too expensive to experiment with. i was also leery about the fact that it was an Image book.

but i was interested in this Bendis dude… i remembered his name from the cheap-ass Caliber comics i bought in the early 90s and was intrigued that he had finally made the big time. so whatever… i picked it up. and then i picked up the next Powers trade. and the next. and the next…

because Bendis writes so many titles, my interest in him plunged me back into the comics world… i found that he was writing Daredevil (i had actually bought the first two issues of his run way back when – but only for the art. and i never read them) so i started reading that. i noticed cats were talking about him in PTP. him and some dude named JMS. also another guy named Geoff Johns who appeared to be DC’s equivalent of Bendis, writing every single title in the line.

long story short, i was back in again.

oh yeah… i said two things happened. the other thing happened roughly at the same time… i was too early to catch a flight this past February, so i walked around downtown Boston a bit… there’s this store here called Newbury Comics. it’s actually more of a record store and hip boutique than a comic store at this point, but they still have a lot of good stuff. they have these shelves full of marked-down trades and GNs, so i started browsing and i ended up picking up $40 worth of stuff. then they started putting out quarter bins and i did a lot of catching up there.

and of course, like everybody else, i can’t overstate the importance of Wikipedia

i always say that the funny thing is: Image comics chased me away 10 years ago... and it was Image that kinda led to me coming back. and these days, when i walk into the store not knowing what i'm gonna buy that day, it's usually the Image shelf i go to first!

EDIT: sheeeit... this post is long as fuck! i didn't realize how much i was rambling. just feeling nostalgic, i guess! lol

buckshot defunct
26345 posts
Tue Nov-01-05 08:46 PM

36. "...like riding a bicycle"
In response to Reply # 19

>when was late 1993/94 when i came back to America. my comic
>reading experience in Nigeria had been very different: for one
>thing, we didn’t have comic book stores then. so you just went
>to a supermarket or bookstore or wherever and picked up
>whatever comics you could… you were never sure they were gonna
>have the next issue the following month, so you tried your
>best to find people who had the issues you didn’t have, and
>trade with them (or in my case, buy them off them since i
>didn’t like to part with any of my comics)

Your Nigerian comic reading experience sounds almost exactly like my rural Louisiana comic reading experience. I don't know why that's funny to me, but it is.

>this gave comics fandom a certain energy… you were constantly
>trying to keep up, so you were always communing with other
>fans, filling each other in on plotlines and trying to find
>yet more fans to commune with. i think i became addicted to
>this paradigm; it became part of my concept of reading comics

Yeah, man. As much as comic book fans are sort of portrayed as these isolated outcasts, the whole thing has always had a communal aspect to it for me. I hardly touched a comic throughout high school and college- I also hardly ran into any other comic fans. Definitely not a coincidence. A big part of comics for me is the discussion, the speculating... just communicating in general. Another good thing about the web- No matter what your tastes, you're guaranteed to find someone else out there reading your books. The downside of all these message boards and news sites is that comics have kind of lost some of that old timey masturbatory charm. Sigh.

>when i came to the States and went to comic stores for the
>first time, it was just sensory overload. for the first time,
>every comic i wanted was at my fingertips: not just the next
>issue, but all the past issues going back 20, 30 years too.
>and i quickly realized that i could not afford to buy them
>all… hell, i didn’t even have the time to READ them all.

And multiple copies of the same issue! That alone was enough to blow my mind.
"Do you have the new X-Force?"
"I think we have 6 or 7 copies left"
"Wha?!"

>because Bendis writes so many titles, my interest in him
>plunged me back into the comics world… i found that he was
>writing Daredevil (i had actually bought the first two issues
>of his run way back when – but only for the art. and i never
>read them) so i started reading that. i noticed cats were
>talking about him in PTP. him and some dude named JMS. also
>another guy named Geoff Johns who appeared to be DC’s
>equivalent of Bendis, writing every single title in the line.

Just from lurking the PTP posts, I thought I'd *never* be able to keep up with all the names being dropped. So many new writers and artists that I had never heard of. But then I figured out that it was pretty much just 4 or 5 dudes writing all the "it" books so it wasn't all that difficult.

>i always say that the funny thing is: Image comics chased me
>away 10 years ago... and it was Image that kinda led to me
>coming back. and these days, when i walk into the store not
>knowing what i'm gonna buy that day, it's usually the Image
>shelf i go to first!

Even though I was an Image head for a minute there, I did have many years to reflect over the shittiness of those comics. And yeah, I was pretty reluctant to pick up anything Image or even Wildstorm for a while there myself. But they seem to have fleshed out a bit and become honest to goodness comic publishers. Good for them.

PolarbearToenails
Charter member
11197 posts
Tue Nov-01-05 04:45 PM

20. "How I got out..."
In response to Reply # 0

I dunno, it was a childhood habit, like age seven to 11. I had a babysitter who was pretty serious about comics, and so I read all the Batman Returns and Year One and so forth that came out around then.

A few years ago, I picked up Jimmy Corrigan, and it blew my mind. I also read "Understanding Comics," which I really enjoyed.

Unfortunately, the super-hero comics subculture is just too nerdy for me (no offense, dudes, but I'm sure you recognize it). And the alt-comics subculture is often too nerdy in a different way -- dedicated to woe-is-me navelgazing.

So I have a lot of respect for the power of the medium, but I pick my spots.

-
Bullseye with Jesse Thorn
A public radio show about things that are awesome.
http://www.maximumfun.org
"This is the kind of show people listen to in a more perfect world." - McSweeney's

C Monty
Member since Feb 25th 2004
3360 posts
Tue Nov-01-05 05:55 PM

25. "I left when Power of Shazam! got boring"
In response to Reply # 0

I came back when I found out what DC had done with Black Adam between 98 and now.

Rockscissorspaper
Charter member
2042 posts
Tue Nov-01-05 06:33 PM

28. "never really quit"
In response to Reply # 0

I stopped for about three months when I first moved out from my parents...but once I had the cash to waste I caught up on everything I missed.

-----------------------------

HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

jetblack
Member since Nov 14th 2004
44804 posts
Tue Nov-01-05 06:35 PM

29. "a book store was closing and i asked..."
In response to Reply # 0

'ya'll got comics?...'

he pointed to a big ass box of comics. and said 'Five Bucks to get that mess outta here'
my brother and i lugged that big ass box home.
the rest is history.

---
Stoicism and chill.
---
Stay +.
---

tomtomorrow
Charter member
1215 posts
Tue Nov-01-05 06:38 PM

30. "RE: how did you get BACK into comic books?"
In response to Reply # 0

I left because I entered college. I was no longer close to a comic book store, making new purchases inconvenient, and since my disposable income became more tight, my ability to buy new comics decreased anyway. Plus, w/ the size of dorm rooms, I didn't have space to store anything anymore.

I don't think that would have been as decisive if the quality of comics were still high, though. I read almost everything, and there was a point where the storylines became repetitive and amateurishly written, and the art stopped interesting me. So I think that had a lot to do with it as well.

What got me back into things was Morrison's run on the X-men. A friend of mine who was still a reader told me about the new things Morrison was trying to do with the characters, and it pulled me back in. I'd say that it was his run, and Bendis' work on Daredevil that encouraged me to be a regular reader again.

The funny thing is, I still feel like I'm on the precipice about reading them. The older I get, the more critical I become, especially w/ the cape books. On one hand, DC has become so insular that even though I can still follow it, I can't possibly recommend any of their books to anyone else. On the other, Marvel has fallen into the regrettable practice of using deux ex machina to solve perceived editorial mistakes, which I think destroys the integrity of the story. So, in the end, five years from now, I doubt that I'll be reading anything. Especially anything mainstream.

disgruntled midget
264 posts
Tue Nov-01-05 07:20 PM

33. "RE: how did you get BACK into comic books?"
In response to Reply # 30

I left post the Age of Apocalypse arc i just think the lack of continuity in stories and the number of crossovers took its toll on me - plus the fact i felt i was too old to read stories about superheroes, aliens etc.

I've recently got back into them via the DC/Vertigo lines such as 100 Bullets which while being nihilistic in its approach it also conveys an air of realism in the characters not conveyed in my previous reads.

FrankEinstein
Member since Dec 03rd 2003
3758 posts
Tue Nov-01-05 07:14 PM

32. "These three titles got me back:"
In response to Reply # 0

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Knight_Returns

2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maus_%28comics%29

3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madman

Thus my fate was sealed, and I haven't left since.

I guess the reason I left was because I thought I had outgrown comics, without realizing that there was tons of brilliant material out there that would expand my mind into places I'd had no idea even existed.

The above three titles were my first steps into that great, new world.

hype_phb
Member since May 15th 2003
2281 posts
Tue Nov-01-05 09:02 PM

39. "Madman was GREAT."
In response to Reply # 32

I haven't thought about that book in forever. Thanks for the reminder.

Bringing you unpopular posts since 2003.

"Einstein has a formula, Wu Tang has a formula. A part equals a square and all that stuff, you know what I’m saying? We have a formula, too."

Toothpick
Charter member
3084 posts
Tue Nov-01-05 08:25 PM

34. "great post afkap"
In response to Reply # 0

I got back into comics around the time superhero movies started blowing up the box office. All of a sudden it was commonplace to talk about X-Men continuity with just about anyone. Everyone was excited about the Spiderman movies. Cats were asking me who Gwen Stacey was...people who never even read the books were complaining about Rogue/Anna Paquin's age, etc.

The conversations brought on a wave of nostalgia. Not to mention the effects of watching the movies themselves (whether they were good or not never really mattered, they served their purpose in rekindling my love for the characters).

I started by copping some of the Marvel Essential series. They were the cheapest and the thickest -- cheap reading for the washroom I rationalized.

From there it just grew like cancer. The more I went to the shop to pick up old trades the more things started to catch my eye. I started copping graphic novels that I never got around to reading back in the day. I bought From Hell, some Sandman, some Frank Miller Daredevil.

I started hearing noise about newer stuff. League of Extraordinary Gentlemen? The Ultimates?

The Comic Book Guy (who I think recognizes me from my younger days though he never brings up the subject) started noticing the things I was buying and recommended some recent series for me to check out. I was skeptical of the sales pitch, as I am of all sales pitches. But eventually curiosity bit and I got swallowed. I took his recommendations of newer writers: Millar, Bendis, Johns.

It was around this time that I started to notice the comic posts popping up here, when it was the Reviews board. I lurked, took recommendations, filled in the continuity gaps where I could.

From there it's all been a matter of refinement. I started with a pull list that resembled my one from years ago, and since then it's changed a lot. I'm also still going back and reading a lot of things I should have read when they came out. That yousendit thread that happened awhile ago was invaluable.

Why'd I stop in the first place? Be back later...

peace.

----------------------------------------------

http://fivedeadlyeverythings.wordpress.com
bamf.

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Nov-01-05 08:37 PM

35. "yeah, i'd like to know when and why you stopped"
In response to Reply # 34

it's funny how many people have been drawn back by the recent wave of superhero movies... i guess they worked after all!

hype_phb
2281 posts
Tue Nov-01-05 08:57 PM

37. "My name is Miles, and I....read comic books."
In response to Reply # 0

I went through my comic book phase like most kids did I guess, staked out the shop, made friends with the owners (a lesbian couple, actually...they were cool as shit, it was an old hippy bookstore-slash-comic shop), and read mostly superheroes....

I fell off when I went to college, for mostly the same reasons listed by others; I just wasn't as into them + the hassle of finding a new shop in a new town = stopped reading. By the end though, the only monthlies I really followed were Preacher, Invisibles, and the Savage Dragon, so it wasn't that big of a deal to quit. Whenever I'd go home I'd invariably re-read my old books, but new ones never really came into the mix.

When I graduated college I moved to LA, and I had a neighbor who moved there like a month after I did. A really cool guy, he initially used to come over to watch the Sopranos on my roommate's bigass TV, and we just got along. Turned out he wrote and drew his own comics, and actually has a pretty decent-sized underground following....anybody know Jim Mahfood? He's done his own stuff (Girl Scouts), some music stuff (he did the comic that came with Felt 2, the MURS/Atmosphere album), and has even done some Marvel books with people like Bendis and whatnot...but enough of that shit. Hanging out with him got me back into it; he'd give me copies of all his books, plus turn me on to the cooler underground stuff that was going on, and it was really nice to know someone that could bring me up to speed on what I'd missed the past 4 years (you mean there's only been 2 more issues of Optic Nerve?)...

Since then, I haven't gotten into it as deep as I was before, but I still hit up a shop now and again. I've found that I mostly buy trades now; it's much more appealing to me now to be able to read long stories all at once, rather than waiting for nuggets to be parceled out in monthly increments. The only book I'd say I follow with any regularity is 100 Bullets, and I still just wait for trades with that, too. I tried superheroes again, but I dunno, it all just seemed so damn silly to me. No disrespect to those that enjoy them, obviously, but I dunno, I think Watchmen wrecked me for tights for the rest of my life...I just can't enjoy it. The plus side is I can catch up on all the good stuff I missed during my absence, and have since "discovered" good shit like Sam Keith's 4 Women, Batman: The Long Halloween, and The Dark Knight Returns (that's the newer one, right? I've heard it caught a lot of negative flack, but fuck it, I liked it).

So that's where I'm at now. I'd like to think my comics love swelled, then shrunk, and has now come back to a much more manageable level. I no longer stake out shops every Wednesday, but I'd like to think I keep an eye out for the cooler shit that's out there. Feels like comics have assumed their place as just one artistic medium out of many that I enjoy. Damn, that was long. Thanks for making me remember this stuff....

"Einstein has a formula, Wu Tang has a formula. A part equals a square and all that stuff, you know what I’m saying? We have a formula, too."

buckshot defunct
26345 posts
Tue Nov-01-05 09:01 PM

38. "oh shit..you hung out with Jim Mahfood!"
In response to Reply # 37

Very cool my man. Very cool indeed.

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Nov-01-05 10:37 PM

41. "Mahfood is one of my heroes"
In response to Reply # 38

now that i'm starting to draw again, i steal his stuff all the time

hype_phb
2281 posts
Wed Nov-02-05 12:46 AM

44. "You ever check out Evan Dorkin?"
In response to Reply # 41

Jim's stuff reminds me of his somewhat. He did Milk & Cheese, which is, frankly, the funniest book ever....

hype_phb
2281 posts
Tue Nov-01-05 10:47 PM

42. "Yeah, he's still a good friend, actually."
In response to Reply # 38

It was funny, being out of comics, when I met him, it was no biggie....then the more I talked to folks, I started to realize he had a name for himself. A cool, cool, cool dude. Through him I've met some other cool cats, Dave Crosland, Scott Morse...some other folks.

SHAMELESS PLUG:

Jim n' I did a video for Zion I a year or so ago. Check it out:

http://homepage.mac.com/hype_phb/portfolio.html

Top row, third from the left....

praverbs
Charter member
27156 posts
Tue Nov-01-05 10:31 PM

40. "i was a preteen in the early 90s"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Nov-01-05 10:35 PM by praverbs

and i got into comics at the beginning of the boom, like 91, the x-men generated boom.

i stopped collecting by '93. didn't last long at all.

i blame the rapid decline of comics during this time and my rapid maturity due to puberty. opposing trends. also notable, around this time i moved from Vegas (which has a healthy amount of comicshops) back to SoufCent (which has none, and i wasn't finna go to the whiteboy hoods to cop).

i got back into comics in 2002, when graphic novels started gettin more popular (i'm so trendy). at first i came back into it not fuckin with the superhero genre, but lately i've gravitated toward superhero classics i was too young to catch the first time around (lots of moore and miller). i got into comics on the wrong side of the 80s pretty much.

« i got my uzi back »

DrNO
Charter member
25381 posts
Wed Nov-02-05 12:17 AM

43. "RE: how did you get BACK into comic books?"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Nov-02-05 12:45 AM by DrNO

Quit before I went into high school, it was better to spend the little money I had on movies, weed and beer... and videogames. I guess becoming less nerdy wasn't really a priority.
Plus they were pretty weak at the time.
I got back in around the time Hellboy was coming out. I downloaded them all, loved them. Then i did the same with Preacher and read the whole series in a day. Kavalier & Klay got me re-intertested in superheroes. I probably stuck with trades for a year until the comic book posts and a good friend of mine getting into them as well pulled me into buying them weekly.

_
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4TztqYaemt0
http://preptimeposse.blogspot.com/

Effa
Charter member
29371 posts
Wed Nov-02-05 01:59 AM

46. "i stopped because sports/sportscards were my life after"
In response to Reply # 0

elementry school. then sports cards left a little before highschool and then i was just too "cool" or i guess i had better stuff to do.

then a about a month or two ago i read some posts here and got curious. found some old issues, lots of arcs that were never completed and most importantly my frank miller wolverine mini series TPB.

and now im back to reading them again.

another reason i stopped was because of the confusing ass crossovers and different volumes and shit. it just got too confusing and expensive to go out and collect everything. all crossovers are for is to sell more issues of shit that normally doesnt sell.

but now with the internet and shit its alot easier to follow everything(wikipedia).

also i think the "ultiverse" is the best thing marvel has done(for me atleast). everythings got a fresh start. theres some good writers involved. they seem to not be rushing anything so nothing begins sloppily(i havent seen hulk in spiderman, x-men, or FF4 yet. im not sure if he appeared in the Ultimates cuz i think thor and cap america are fags.....even tho thor's kinda cool in the ultiverse)

daredevil is only in two miniseries and some little cameos.

it seems more planned out and bendis(who has his hands in all the titles) seems to be doing a good job in my opinion.

whatever happened to the artists "the brothers hildebrand" or whatever. i remember they used to do covers and stuff like that.

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Wed Nov-02-05 04:47 AM

47. "why'd i leave?"
In response to Reply # 0

couldn't justify the expense

(think comics are expensive in the states? try converting that price to aussie dollars)

why'd i come back?

dcp, how shall i explain it..

Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #39508 Previous topic | Next topic