Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #34381

Subject: "I just finished shooting what could be the worst movie ever made." This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43719 posts
Mon Apr-18-05 01:01 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"I just finished shooting what could be the worst movie ever made."

Yeah, it was awful.

I was the producer on it. It was a school film...my final project, etc. I couldn't get my script together in time to submit for my project, but this film I jumped onto because a) I knew the DP very well and he's a good friend of mine, plus he's very talented and b) the crew was cool.

On top of that, I've already shot what I consider my senior thesis film - my homie's NYU thesis film which I produced as well.

Anyway, let's break the story down:

We have an older scientist. He hires a young guy to have sex with his wife. Why you ask? Well, he's rich and he burned his genitals off in a lab accident 15 years prior. He also has a butler. Anyway, young guy has sex with wife, finds out that scientist had this accident, etc. Scientist is adamant dude has sex because he's doing it for his wife, to have a kid, which he can't do anymore...because he doesn't have nuts. Or a penis. Anyway...the butler eventually acts weird, the maids in the house (he lives in a mansion, by the way), they start hitting on young dude, etc. and then the butler's face melts off. Then the young guy doesn't LEAVE the house but rather gets beat by the old guy...waking up and having a discussion with the old guy (in a JamesBond-esque reveal) that he has crafted everything in his house from scratch, and that nobody is real (but he beat the young guy cause he was falling in love with his wife), and the young guy, as it turns out...works for the lab that old guy used to work for, and that the accident (that burned off his nuts by the way...just to reiterate that) was planned by a guy who we are never really introduced to, we just know through dialog (tell, don't show!) that he was like a "brother" to the old guy and that he set him up to avoid having him find the cure to cancer which he was close to finding. Then the police come, and...scene.

As you can see, it's a mess.

It was an awful experience in pre-production, production was 8 14+ hour days of shooting (against my wishes...I had literally no power on this set) with tons of horrible, unprofessional aspects on set (such as piss poor meals, discussions of finances in front of other crew and actors, etc.). I keep things at a 12 hour day max, and that's that. There was no AD on this set, because the director wanted to shoot 1.5 pages a day (RIDICULOUS) and eventually we had to change that. All in all, it was a bad...bad....BAD pre production experience and not such a great production one.

This guy thinks this film is GREAT too. Oh and not only is the story bad...the acting is AWFUL. AWFUL. Nice actors, but they were bad, they have the same performance over and over, and indicated like craaaaazy. Bad.

Did I say the movie was about a guy with no penis or balls? Just needed to point that out again.

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
damn
Apr 18th 2005
I'm PRETTY sure John Waters never said...
Apr 18th 2005
      Brett Ratner maybe
Apr 18th 2005
           haha
Apr 18th 2005
                Nothing THIS guy has ever made commands the respect Rush Hour does.
Apr 18th 2005
What exactly
Apr 18th 2005
Producers
Apr 18th 2005
What I did...
Apr 18th 2005
how about a fucking spoiler alert
Apr 18th 2005
RE: how about a fucking spoiler alert
Apr 18th 2005
good luck
Apr 18th 2005
I LOVE IT!
Apr 18th 2005
thought it was just me lol
Apr 19th 2005
is 1.5 pages a day a lot or a little?
Apr 18th 2005
Very little.
Apr 18th 2005
      20 pages in a week is good...
Apr 18th 2005
           RE: 20 pages in a week is good...
Apr 18th 2005
so what was morale like?
Apr 18th 2005
Let's see.
Apr 18th 2005
      RE: Let's see.
Apr 18th 2005
      I did it for school credit.
Apr 18th 2005
      Tell us what a production manager does. And, how are you going...
Apr 18th 2005
           PM/AP...
Apr 18th 2005
that's pretty awful
Apr 18th 2005
My advice...
Apr 18th 2005
      i'm in a young filmmaker's group.
Apr 19th 2005
Thank you, this post made my....hour
Apr 18th 2005
Ha. Thanks.
Apr 18th 2005
When does it hit the big screen?
Apr 18th 2005
I'd LOVE to do a commentary.
Apr 18th 2005
pitch it to miramax.
Apr 18th 2005
lol
Apr 19th 2005

DrNO
Charter member
25381 posts
Mon Apr-18-05 01:04 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "damn"
In response to Reply # 0

this guy could be the next John Waters and you just don't know it.

_
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4TztqYaemt0
http://preptimeposse.blogspot.com/

Ryan M
43719 posts
Mon Apr-18-05 01:07 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I'm PRETTY sure John Waters never said..."
In response to Reply # 1

"I'm not here to learn anything. I know everything I need to know. I don't care if the crew hates me, I don't care if they never wanna talk to me...I just wanna make this fucking movie."

Wow.

17x NBA Champions

DrNO
Charter member
25381 posts
Mon Apr-18-05 01:14 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Brett Ratner maybe"
In response to Reply # 2

_

DubSpt
Charter member
13933 posts
Mon Apr-18-05 01:21 AM

4. "haha"
In response to Reply # 3

I made Rush Hour dammit! Show me some damn respect!

- Dub

I give rappers the biz for being m-izza-a-archaic.

Ryan M
43719 posts
Mon Apr-18-05 01:23 AM

5. "Nothing THIS guy has ever made commands the respect Rush Hour does."
In response to Reply # 4

Hell...nothing this guy has ever made demands the respect that After the Sunset deserves.

17x NBA Champions

qbjacob16
Member since Sep 30th 2002
521 posts
Mon Apr-18-05 08:07 AM

6. "What exactly"
In response to Reply # 0

do you do as producer on a film like this? Just wondering.

PEACE.
-----------------------

Emotional one-on-one with KG:
http://www.whudat.com/realtxt/kg_allstar2005.ram

DrNO
Charter member
25381 posts
Mon Apr-18-05 08:32 AM

7. "Producers"
In response to Reply # 6

just cash the checks.

_

Ryan M
43719 posts
Mon Apr-18-05 11:19 AM

9. "What I did..."
In response to Reply # 6

Get locations
Organize crew
Get permits
Get insurance
Set a schedule
Get equipment
Set the budget
Deal with actors, location owners, etc.
Make sure the crew is moving
Figure out food for every day
And a bunch of other crap.

Basically a producer on a student film isn't really a producer at all...since student films are director driven (as opposed to the Hollywood system of producer driven), I was doing AD work, location manager work, prop master work, craft services work, etc. Basically, I was making sure the production MOVED.

17x NBA Champions

navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
6565 posts
Mon Apr-18-05 08:44 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "how about a fucking spoiler alert"
In response to Reply # 0

god

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Mon Apr-18-05 11:24 AM

10. "RE: how about a fucking spoiler alert"
In response to Reply # 8

LOL

Basaglia
Member since Nov 30th 2004
49463 posts
Mon Apr-18-05 12:47 PM

11. "good luck"
In response to Reply # 0

nm

Steph: I was just fooling about

Kyrie: I wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86643 posts
Mon Apr-18-05 12:56 PM

12. "I LOVE IT!"
In response to Reply # 0

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Tue Apr-19-05 12:50 AM

30. "thought it was just me lol"
In response to Reply # 12

V.

---
http://confessionsofacurlymind.com
https://soundcloud.com/confessionsofacurlymindredux
https://soundcloud.com/generic80sbadguy
https://soundcloud.com/miles_matheson

DROkayplayerâ„¢

Mr Mech
Member since Jul 02nd 2002
8373 posts
Mon Apr-18-05 02:53 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "is 1.5 pages a day a lot or a little?"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm assuming it's a little other wise a tighter schedule would require a n Assistant Director.

How long was the script?

Mech

Ryan M
43719 posts
Mon Apr-18-05 03:53 PM

14. "Very little."
In response to Reply # 13

Professional standard is 2-3 pages a day. Indy films shoot 5+ pages a day easily. Student films should shoot at least 3 pages a day...especially with a 15 page script and a less than $10,000 budget. An AD should be on every shoot, not just longer films...especially with directors who take forever and a day to roll film.

The NYU film I produced shot about 3 pages a day (20 page script) with a great AD, a great production manager, etc. That shoot went VERY quick, shot it out in 7.5 days, and we had to deal with a horrible little kid actor who set us way behind.

17x NBA Champions

Mr Mech
8373 posts
Mon Apr-18-05 08:41 PM

20. "20 pages in a week is good..."
In response to Reply # 14
Mon Apr-18-05 08:42 PM by Mr Mech

My friend at UMiami shot his in 9 with no major problems. He was very lucky. What was it like being on a set without an AD? Before I worked on my friend's shoot, I didn't know what an Assistant Director did btu I realized it's necessary to keep everything moving smoothly.

Also, why did you attach yourself to a script you obviously thought was crappy? I assume you weren't too involved in the development.

Mech

Ryan M
43719 posts
Mon Apr-18-05 09:25 PM

23. "RE: 20 pages in a week is good..."
In response to Reply # 20

What was it like being on a set without an
>AD? Before I worked on my friend's shoot, I didn't know what
>an Assistant Director did btu I realized it's necessary to
>keep everything moving smoothly.

It wasn't so cool. The PM and I pretty much switched off on AD work since we know how essential it is to have one, yet the other producer (who swore up and down he would be Producer/AD) didn't really care to have one...especially because that would speed production up and he and the director had this odd idea that if a day was short (or shorter than 12 hours) that we obviously weren't doing a good job and getting good footage.

>
>Also, why did you attach yourself to a script you obviously
>thought was crappy? I assume you weren't too involved in the
>development.

I wasn't involved in script development whatsoever. The reason I attached myself was because at my school (a Cal State school...during a time where we're in a budget crisis) selects 4-5 projects to be made as senior films out of about 20 submitted scripts. In the mean time, people scramble to attach themselves to projects, because in your proposal, you must submit the people you have for major crew positions (DP(s), Producer(s), Editor(s), Sound, etc.). So I had my name on about 3-4 projects. Only ONE of those I was actually really interested in producing.

That project was submitted by the DP of this film. It was a slice of life type film about a girl with cancer. The guy who submitted it actually had cancer when he was about 17 or so and survived and has this work ethic that's just unreal...plus he's great at everything he does. He's the coolest guy I've met in film school, bar none. He actually turned down acceptance to MIT because his passion is film, and he wanted to go to film school. Anyway, he wrote this script and pitched it to the American Cancer Society, and they offered $2000 to donate to it. The script itself was rough...but he was offering myself a lot of input creatively to help improve it.

Anyway, that project didn't get selected, but he was DPing on this one (which was obviously selected) so I decided it'd be okay. Plus the director wasn't someone I was friends with, per se, but a decent guy who had made lots of films, so he was at least experienced. He didn't allow us to give notes on the script, nothing (I found this out in our 2nd post-being-accepted meeting)...so essentially, I didn't care about the script, but as I said...I felt at that point I'd already made my senior film with that NYU project (which I was involved in development from day 1), so this was merely for the grade.

17x NBA Champions

buckshot defunct
Member since May 02nd 2003
26345 posts
Mon Apr-18-05 04:25 PM

15. "so what was morale like?"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm fascinated with the behind-the-scenes stuff, particularly on the bad movies. Like, did the actors and crew really feel strongly about this film? Did they believe in it? Was there ever a point that you believed in it? Or was it more of a means to an end?

Ryan M
43719 posts
Mon Apr-18-05 04:47 PM

16. "Let's see."
In response to Reply # 15
Mon Apr-18-05 04:48 PM by Ryan M

There was a Behind the Scenes documentary being made on set. Of which I'm barely in it because it was being made by a guy who's very clique-ish with a few people on set (they always work together) and they basically only shot those people. A few people in this group constantly work together and thus stuck up for each other (no matter if they were wrong or not). These people were:

Director/Writer
Producer (the other one)
Associate Producer/Making of Director
Key Grip
Editor

So you have people in poisitons of power making all the decisions with one another. That's a problem in and of itself...as personal relationships should be checked at the door on a film set (my girlfriend was the PM, and as a producer, I will call her out when I find her to be wrong, and vice versa). Anyway, you have these people working together, and they like working together and will continue to work together. The rest of us:

Producer (me)
Production Manager
Director of Photography/ACs
Sound Mixer
Gaffer

And a few others I'm forgetting are NOT part of their clique. All of us thought the story was absolutley ridiculous, and hated the "direction" the director provided. Long story short, we didn't care about the film, we just wanted to make the process as painless as possible, and to get a good grade. The director and other producer were so passionate about this pile of shit, I just didn't understand it whatsoever. They LOVED this thing and even called it the best thing they've ever done.

Basically the director-producer combo was awful as the director would be the go-to guy to make decisions and the producer would be trying to direct, and they both were so into this story it drove most of us nuts (especially the attention to detail in which drove days into the 14 hour range). Most people didn't like them, because...well, there's only so many 7-8 hour turnarounds that people can take. When people focused their anger on me because of that, I would dissassociate myself from the project altogether and sympathize with them.

I'm not in the business of airing out bullshit to crew or actors. But I did here.

The actors were very into it too. I dunno, to me...the characters were flat, campy, and the direction was awful. But I guess they really just like to work or something.

Oh and I overheard the director talking about sending this to Sundance and getting it shown theatrically for 7 days to get it on IMDB. I threw up a little in my mouth, cause if this is my first IMDB credit, I'll be very upset.

17x NBA Champions

1seeker
Member since Oct 16th 2003
1490 posts
Mon Apr-18-05 06:18 PM

17. "RE: Let's see."
In response to Reply # 16

Did you get paid to be on this project or did you do it for friends purposes? I hope that director was not the friend cuz he sounds like an Ass.

Eric Drooker in the AVY his art http://drooker.com/

Ryan M
43719 posts
Mon Apr-18-05 09:26 PM

24. "I did it for school credit."
In response to Reply # 17

My senior film credit had to be completed, and that's why I did it. So no, no money.

And hell nah this director wasn't my friend, and he never will be. The director on the NYU project I produced is one of my best friends.

17x NBA Champions

Mr Mech
8373 posts
Mon Apr-18-05 08:46 PM

21. "Tell us what a production manager does. And, how are you going..."
In response to Reply # 16
Mon Apr-18-05 08:47 PM by Mr Mech

...to have an associtate producer on a student film? In the idustry, isn't it generally considered a bullshit title you give someone when you can pay them enough?

Mech

Ryan M
43719 posts
Mon Apr-18-05 09:34 PM

25. "PM/AP..."
In response to Reply # 21

The chain of command (at least the "upper echelon") on a film set goes like this:

Producer
Production Manager
Assistant Director
Director

The reason for this is because the director needs to be focused on the creative aspects with the DP, and because he needs to be focused on the actors, and not what time lunch is at, or when the key grip is coming to set, etc. While the director is the most important person on a set, he needs to answer to his AD in terms of time constraints. The AD's schedule is set by the PM, and the producer okays that schedule (among other things).

The PM basically is the AD's boss. He/she will ask the AD where we're at, he/she will organize when the meal breaks are, who's coming to set and when, etc. Keeps the entire production running, whereas the AD keeps the director going. The producer oversees all of this, but on the NYU project I did, myself, the director, the AD, and the PM would meet every night after we shot and discuss the next day. We all worked as a cohesive unit, and loved working with each other...so there was a hierarchy, but we certainly collaborated.

To answer your other question...

>...to have an associtate producer on a student film? In the
>idustry, isn't it generally considered a bullshit title you
>give someone when you can pay them enough?

Associate Producer is a bullshit title. It is in the professional world, and it is in the student film world. The AP is basically the producers bitch, at least...he was SUPPOSED to be. The AP on my NYU set didn't do a damn thing so we fired him shortly before production. The AP on THIS project was supposed to handle a LOT of things I delegated to him, but dropped the ball...because he was way too concerned with his Making Of documentary on set.

17x NBA Champions

okayyac
Charter member
5173 posts
Mon Apr-18-05 06:52 PM

18. "that's pretty awful"
In response to Reply # 0

i can relate to a certain extent b/c i'm executive producing this kid's film, which is kind of a spacey type joint. he's shooting at this other school with all this pretty hi-tech equipment that we dunno how to use, and he has NO leadership skills whatsoever.

you think i'm kidding....this kid takes 5 minutes to decide what time we're meeting for a discussion the next day.

"11 or 12, man."
" *silence* Uh...............................................................how aboutttt.....i dunno. 12, i guess."

i have the feeling that it's gonna crash and burn because of his indecisiveness and sheer inability as a director. i think i might have to take on some of the directing responsibilites with another friend, cause this kid has NO idea what he's doing.

Ryan M
43719 posts
Mon Apr-18-05 09:35 PM

26. "My advice..."
In response to Reply # 18

I wouldn't take on directing. I just would pull out of doing it altogether...because you're financing it right? Either pull out, or don't let this dude have any producer-like responsibility (setting meetings, etc.) Make sure he knows what he wants, make sure he's rehearsing actors, make sure your camera/special effects departments are on point, etc.

Otherwise, you'll have a mess on your hands.

17x NBA Champions

okayyac
Charter member
5173 posts
Tue Apr-19-05 05:32 PM

32. "i'm in a young filmmaker's group."
In response to Reply # 26

Our budgets are exactly $0.00, so we don't have to worry about financing it. obviously, that makes the position of producer kind of useless, especially since this kid has handled casting and working out areas to shoot as well. so basically i'm going to be the assistant director along with this other girl. if this turns out to be shitty, it'll only be 2 days worth of wasted time due to it, so...whatever. if somehow the kid manages to put together something respectable, what the hell.

>I wouldn't take on directing. I just would pull out of doing
>it altogether...because you're financing it right? Either pull
>out, or don't let this dude have any producer-like
>responsibility (setting meetings, etc.) Make sure he knows
>what he wants, make sure he's rehearsing actors, make sure
>your camera/special effects departments are on point, etc.
>
>Otherwise, you'll have a mess on your hands.

dmind
Member since Nov 18th 2002
3155 posts
Mon Apr-18-05 07:53 PM

19. "Thank you, this post made my....hour"
In response to Reply # 0

sorry for the unfortunate events but this is too funny.

Ryan M
43719 posts
Mon Apr-18-05 09:37 PM

28. "Ha. Thanks."
In response to Reply # 19

I'm glad it's over. Laugh away.

17x NBA Champions

Deebot
Member since Oct 21st 2004
26762 posts
Mon Apr-18-05 09:02 PM

22. "When does it hit the big screen?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Apr-18-05 09:03 PM by Deebot

and how about the dvd? will you contribute a commentary track?

Ryan M
43719 posts
Mon Apr-18-05 09:37 PM

27. "I'd LOVE to do a commentary."
In response to Reply # 22

I swear.

I'd love to have it be a seperate one. There's a whooooooole lot I could say in 15 minutes about this film. Believe me, the other producer had the DVD planned for this film before we ever started production (cause you know, we should be thinking about spending money on a DVD when we didn't even have money for production yet)...

When's it finished? We should have a rough cut by about late May-early June. That's the goal, anyway.

17x NBA Champions

willydynamite
Member since Oct 18th 2004
24205 posts
Mon Apr-18-05 10:38 PM

29. "pitch it to miramax."
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=616818689
www.myspace.com/willydynamite

afrobongo
Charter member
33968 posts
Tue Apr-19-05 04:55 AM

31. "lol"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #34381 Previous topic | Next topic