Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #33611

Subject: "NBC's the Office > BBC The Office" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Mon Oct-24-05 02:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"NBC's the Office > BBC The Office"

I know the fanboys will disagree simply on the grounds that the NBC show is a "rip-off" of the BBC version, but once you get past that and judge the individual merits of the two shows you have to admit that the NBC show is as good if not better than the BBC version.

There are differences between the show, and you can tell that NBC did a lot to tailor the show for American audiences. It wasn't until comparing the shows did I realize how prudish American TV van be. However, I think in general though the changes work. Besides cutting down the sexual humor, The American version departs from the BBC Version mainly by characterization of the Boss. I think the US version goes further to make the audience like David. This strategy may be a cop-out to some, but its Steve Carrell uses it as an opportunity to better humanizing the character. Carrell's character is looking to liked by everyone, wheresa Gervais' character is looking to have his ego stroked. Both are entertaining, Carrell's performance though is more endearing.

Its Carrell's performance in general that makes for a better show in my opinion. THis is no disrespect to Ricky Gervais, because he is responsible for both shows being brilliant.

An easier way to swallow that the NBC's Office is to think in terms of theater not television. No one is mad when performers revive a great play, but critics would be annoyed if they ripped off the performances of the original actors and did not taylor the performance to local taste. Think of NBC's the office as being more akin to broadway production of the Producers, than NBC's failed Coupling.

Reality check: according to the 2000 census, there were more than 31,000 black physicians and surgeons, 33,000 black lawyers. There are about 1,400 black athletes playing professional basketball, football and baseball combined.

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
i wouldn't go that far... they're just *different*
Oct 24th 2005
No. Not even close.
Oct 24th 2005
RE: No. Not even close.
Oct 24th 2005
RE: No. Not even close.
Oct 24th 2005
totally agree
Oct 24th 2005
The fuck outta here
Oct 24th 2005
No
Oct 24th 2005
RE: No
Oct 24th 2005
      or his singing
Oct 24th 2005
I laugh more at the American one, but the British one is better.
Oct 24th 2005
RE: I laugh more at the American one, but the British one is better.
Oct 24th 2005
      Just cuz a movie's funnier doesn't mean it's a better movie
Oct 24th 2005
           but if the purpose of a movie (presumably a comedy) is to make you laugh...
Oct 24th 2005
           True
Oct 24th 2005
I want to check out the BBC Office
Oct 24th 2005
if you do watch it, use the subtitles
Oct 24th 2005
subtitles? Really?
Oct 24th 2005
      the first couple episodes
Oct 24th 2005
cosign
Oct 24th 2005
Why no number for this post? That's weird.
Oct 24th 2005
Naw see the British Version
Oct 24th 2005
You all need to stop copping pleas and making excuses.
Oct 24th 2005
      NBC is free
Oct 25th 2005
           Everything costs.
Oct 25th 2005
                huh?
Oct 25th 2005
                     Yep, still making excuses...
Oct 25th 2005
                          just being honest
Oct 25th 2005
                               'The Reasons...' (c) Phillip Bailey (EWF)
Oct 25th 2005
                                    RE: 'The Reasons...' (c) Phillip Bailey (EWF)
Oct 26th 2005
                                         Yeah, we've reached an impasse, a stalemate, if you will.
Oct 26th 2005
Jenna Fischer>>>>>>>>That chick
Oct 24th 2005
RE: Jenna Fischer>>>>>>>>That chick
Oct 24th 2005
      She's orange,damnit
Oct 24th 2005
Not yet...
Oct 24th 2005
They're both brilliant.
Oct 24th 2005
Some people like the downtrodden Gervais
Oct 24th 2005
RE: They're both brilliant.
Oct 24th 2005
Oct 24th 2005
Oct 24th 2005
Oct 24th 2005
                     Cut. It. Out.
Oct 25th 2005
when is the US Version on?
Oct 24th 2005
Tuesday nights.
Oct 24th 2005
JUST found this...
Oct 24th 2005
LOL this is great
Oct 24th 2005
no, simply b/c gareth is an awesome character and the american
Oct 24th 2005
Dwight Schrute is one of the funniest characters on network TV now.
Oct 24th 2005
      Dwight is great...
Oct 24th 2005
           he has no army training though
Oct 25th 2005
                (territorial)
Oct 25th 2005
                but he is a sheriff's deputy!
Oct 25th 2005
                     And a beet farm.
Oct 26th 2005
oh hellll no
Oct 24th 2005
Nope, don't see it
Oct 24th 2005
I've felt this way a couple times myself.
Oct 24th 2005
I think he's hilarious actually
Oct 24th 2005
he actually seems on track to become the new Zach Braff
Oct 24th 2005
      ^^And that's my problem^^
Oct 24th 2005
I think Halpert is pretty damn good
Oct 25th 2005
YEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!!
Oct 24th 2005
No, it's not better.
Oct 24th 2005
Of course they did more
Oct 25th 2005
      Huh? Who did what more, and condensed what story?
Oct 25th 2005
hell & no
Oct 24th 2005
Yes, and Rocky VI will be better than Rocky I
Oct 24th 2005
where was this 54 replies ago?
Oct 25th 2005
      I apologize for my tardiness.
Oct 25th 2005
completely disagree
Oct 25th 2005
To be fair
Oct 25th 2005
Nope, it's still not touching it.
Oct 25th 2005

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Mon Oct-24-05 03:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "i wouldn't go that far... they're just *different*"
In response to Reply # 0

but i totally disagree with you about Carell's characterization being more "human" than Gervais...

Michael Scott is almost cartoony compared to David Brent. they've been giving him more dimension over the past couple of episodes, but he's still not completely an identifiable character (NTTAWWT)

Scott is just a boorish dimwit like the Germans in "Hogan's Heroes"... Brent was more of a pathetic character who just desperately wanted to be liked, despite being completely devoid of wit or social skills

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Mon Oct-24-05 03:08 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "No. Not even close."
In response to Reply # 0

Michael Scott is not seeing David Brent
Dwight Schrute is not seeing Gareth Keenan
Jim Halpert is not seeing Tim Canterbury

it's not about any one being a fanboy. (by the way. how are you not a US Office fanboy for making this post?)
it's not about the US version being a rip off.
it's just that the original is better. much, much better.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Mon Oct-24-05 04:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
20. "RE: No. Not even close."
In response to Reply # 2

>Michael Scott is not seeing David Brent
Both are gret performances.

>Dwight Schrute is not seeing Gareth Keenan

Both are good performances. But I think I like Gareth's sleazy take on the character.

>Jim Halpert is not seeing Tim Canterbury

Disagree.

>it's not about any one being a fanboy. (by the way. how are
>you not a US Office fanboy for making this post?)

I am a fan of the US Version. What makes anyone a fan boy is inability to see it any differently. The whole "No way, not worth discussing" additude.

>it's not about the US version being a rip off.
>it's just that the original is better. much, much better.
>
>
>

Reality check: according to the 2000 census, there were more than 31,000 black physicians and surgeons, 33,000 black lawyers. There are about 1,400 black athletes playing professional basketball, football and baseball combined.

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Mon Oct-24-05 05:04 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
24. "RE: No. Not even close."
In response to Reply # 20

>I am a fan of the US Version. What makes anyone a fan boy is
>inability to see it any differently. The whole "No way, not
>worth discussing" additude.

because it's not even worth discussing. that's how much better the UK version is.

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Mon Oct-24-05 10:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
44. "totally agree"
In response to Reply # 2

only reason i check the retcon is because someone told me it was funny..the original however, IS funny...none of the revised characters or stories are better than the originals...

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

blue23
Charter member
8341 posts
Mon Oct-24-05 03:16 PM

3. "The fuck outta here"
In response to Reply # 0

Not even close. Not even worth discussing.

BTW

DrNO
Charter member
25381 posts
Mon Oct-24-05 03:19 PM

4. "No"
In response to Reply # 0

As much as I like Carrell his character is much less compelling than Gervais was. Plus Carrell can't equal Gervais physical comedy, never.

_
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4TztqYaemt0
http://preptimeposse.blogspot.com/

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Mon Oct-24-05 03:24 PM

5. "RE: No"
In response to Reply # 4

>As much as I like Carrell his character is much less
>compelling than Gervais was. Plus Carrell can't equal Gervais
>physical comedy, never.

Exhibit A:
http://homepage.mac.com/elliottday/theoffice/theofficeclips/brentdance.mpg

DrNO
Charter member
25381 posts
Mon Oct-24-05 03:41 PM

10. "or his singing"
In response to Reply # 5

http://homepage.mac.com/elliottday/theoffice/sounds1/freelovefull.mp3

_

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Mon Oct-24-05 03:30 PM

6. "I laugh more at the American one, but the British one is better."
In response to Reply # 0

Because I'm American and a HUGE Steve Carell fan, I always laugh more watching the American one.

But the British one is a better quality program, and Gervais DEFINITELY humanizes more than Carell does.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Mon Oct-24-05 03:38 PM

9. "RE: I laugh more at the American one, but the British one is better."
In response to Reply # 6

> I always laugh more watching the American one.But the British one is a better quality program.

You find the American Version funnier, but the British version is a better qaulity program? How does that work?

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Mon Oct-24-05 03:42 PM

11. "Just cuz a movie's funnier doesn't mean it's a better movie"
In response to Reply # 9

McDeezNuts
Member since Jun 03rd 2002
5663 posts
Mon Oct-24-05 03:51 PM

14. "but if the purpose of a movie (presumably a comedy) is to make you laugh..."
In response to Reply # 11

then wouldn't it be better in terms of achieving its primary goal?

I know what you're saying. But there's something to be said for making me laugh. That's an end in and of itself, regardless of the "artistic quality" of the movie/TV show.

For comedies, I basically judge them on how funny they are. Dramas are much harder...

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Mon Oct-24-05 04:05 PM

18. "True"
In response to Reply # 11

But a Comedy that is funnier than another Comedy almost by definition has to be better.

will_5198
Charter member
63107 posts
Mon Oct-24-05 03:32 PM

7. "I want to check out the BBC Office"
In response to Reply # 0

but the way people on PTP talk about it just turns me off

--------

johnny_domino
Charter member
17027 posts
Mon Oct-24-05 03:47 PM

12. "if you do watch it, use the subtitles"
In response to Reply # 7

I was trying to do it without them, and missing a lot of the jokes (and just a lot of the dialogue, period).

Also, I found the BBC episodes even funnier the second time I saw them, for what that's worth.

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36962 posts
Mon Oct-24-05 11:04 PM

46. "subtitles? Really?"
In response to Reply # 12

I don't think the accents were that bad.

https://digife.com

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Mon Oct-24-05 11:12 PM

47. "the first couple episodes"
In response to Reply # 46

i needed the subs..after that, i turned em off until something was said too fast...

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

McDeezNuts
5663 posts

"cosign"

I thought about checking it out, but... I'm so happy with the US version.

I love the US version so much it's become one of my favorite shows on TV, but I'm starting to think I won't like the Brit version.

The fans of the Brit version definitely don't help - if they think the US version sucks, then I'd probably think "their" version sucks - not out of spite or anything, but just because it must be really different.

So without having seen the Brit version, I'm sticking with the US version.

Partly because I'm not British - if the US version is meant for US audiences then it would make sense for me to like it better.

And partly because the Brit version will likely seem like an inferior knockoff to me, even though it came first, because of which one I watched first. I won't be able help comparing the two, and I don't think that would be a good look for the Brit version.

McDeezNuts
5663 posts
Mon Oct-24-05 03:53 PM

15. "Why no number for this post? That's weird."
In response to Reply # 0

I posted this before my post #14.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Mon Oct-24-05 04:08 PM

19. "Naw see the British Version"
In response to Reply # 0

Folks are in general agreement that both are worth checking out. Seeing the differnces between the shows is entertaining. I guess I take issue with folks who off principle won't give the US version a chance.

ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Mon Oct-24-05 10:45 PM

45. "You all need to stop copping pleas and making excuses."
In response to Reply # 7

"I'd watch if it weren't for those pesky PTP snobs."

Fuck outta here with that "not in the in-crowd" bullshit.
___________________________________________________________________________________________
unfolding
enveloping
missles of soul

will_5198
Charter member
63107 posts
Tue Oct-25-05 01:29 AM

55. "NBC is free"
In response to Reply # 45

Blockbuster and Best Buy cost money

besides the fact that most of the BBC lovers think anybody who liked an American version of the show is a tasteless idiot

--------

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Tue Oct-25-05 02:44 AM

56. "Everything costs."
In response to Reply # 55

>Blockbuster and Best Buy cost money

It's money well spent, believe me. And nothing comes for free, holmes. Everything you buy is a direct result of what you see on TV. So, you can kindly strike that excuse off your list.

>besides the fact that most of the BBC lovers think anybody who
>liked an American version of the show is a tasteless idiot

That's a crock of shit, and you know it. And even if you have a few folks who do (allegedly) talk that shit, so what? Fuck them.
___________________________________________________________________________________________
unfolding
enveloping
missles of soul

McDeezNuts
5663 posts
Tue Oct-25-05 11:18 AM

62. "huh?"
In response to Reply # 56

>>Blockbuster and Best Buy cost money
>
>It's money well spent, believe me. And nothing comes for
>free, holmes.

How does watching The Office on NBC cost me money? It only costs me time and opportunity cost. But no money.

>Everything you buy is a direct result of what
>you see on TV.

That's total bullshit. I don't buy things based on what I see on TV. I know you're referring to advertising and all that, and I'm not claiming to be totally immune, but my choices at the grocery store, music store, etc have nothing or very little to do with my TV watching. Maybe it did when I was a kid, but not anymore. TV might make me aware of something (ooh, I didn't know that was out on DVD already) but it didn't "make" me buy anything.

>So, you can kindly strike that excuse off your
>list.

Makes no sense. Like Will, one of the reasons I haven't seen the Brit Office is that I'd have to pay to rent it (definitely wouldn't buy it sight unseen). And what kinda sucks about renting TV series is that Blockbuster charges you for each disc (though I guess it's still a good deal because each disc usually has over 2-3 hours, more than the average movie).

>>besides the fact that most of the BBC lovers think anybody
>who
>>liked an American version of the show is a tasteless idiot
>
>That's a crock of shit, and you know it. And even if you have
>a few folks who do (allegedly) talk that shit, so what? Fuck
>them.

Well, it just makes me think the shows must be really different. And if I love the US version, why bother?

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Tue Oct-25-05 04:31 PM

63. "Yep, still making excuses..."
In response to Reply # 62

>>>Blockbuster and Best Buy cost money
>>
>>It's money well spent, believe me. And nothing comes for
>>free, holmes.
>
>How does watching The Office on NBC cost me money? It only
>costs me time and opportunity cost. But no money.

Sure it doesn't. Keep believing that if you wish.

>>Everything you buy is a direct result of what
>>you see on TV.
>
>That's total bullshit.

No, it isn't.

>I don't buy things based on what I see
>on TV. I know you're referring to advertising and all that,
>and I'm not claiming to be totally immune, but my choices at
>the grocery store, music store, etc have nothing or very
>little to do with my TV watching.

Now *that's* total bullshit. Tell me how it is in that little vacuum you live in.

>Maybe it did when I was a
>kid, but not anymore.

"I'm not claiming to be totally immune..."

>TV might make me aware of something
>(ooh, I didn't know that was out on DVD already) but it didn't
>"make" me buy anything.

Dude, you are a consumer. Everyone is. Own up to it. You're not above it, so stop.

>>So, you can kindly strike that excuse off your
>>list.
>
>Makes no sense. Like Will, one of the reasons I haven't seen
>the Brit Office is that I'd have to pay to rent it (definitely
>wouldn't buy it sight unseen).

Of course there's also another option, that being BBC America, which is on cabl-- wait, you'd have to "pay for that." Or, let me gues, you "don't get that channel." Well, too bad for you. That was how I was first exposed to The Office.

Then there are other, less legal methods of geting DOWN with the show. But you two keep LOADING up the excuses, eh?

(and, because you're apparently too dense to use your imagination, I'll tell you to take a gander at the all capped-words in that last sentence).

Let me know if you come up with any more excuses so I can shoot them down with the quickness.

>And what kinda sucks about
>renting TV series is that Blockbuster charges you for each
>disc (though I guess it's still a good deal because each disc
>usually has over 2-3 hours, more than the average movie).

"Cry Me A River" (c) Justin Timberlake

Ever heard of a little business called NetFlix? Doesn't Blockbuster have an online service? Don't both offer free trials?

Excuses #2 and #3, shot down. Got any others?

>>That's a crock of shit, and you know it. And even if you
>have
>>a few folks who do (allegedly) talk that shit, so what?
>Fuck
>>them.
>
>Well, it just makes me think the shows must be really
>different.

Ooo, it's "different," so it must be "bad," right?

>And if I love the US version, why bother?

Because if you're going to join a discussion about the two versions of a show you should probably see them both before chiming in? And that you've run out of excuses for your laziness?

(and before anyone else chimes in claiming that people have a choice to not watch the UK version, they certainly do, and they can also choose not to make excuses about why they haven't seen the show but are %100 sure they love the US version, unquestionably).

McDeezNuts
5663 posts
Tue Oct-25-05 06:20 PM

64. "just being honest"
In response to Reply # 63

>>>>Blockbuster and Best Buy cost money
>>>
>>>It's money well spent, believe me. And nothing comes for
>>>free, holmes.
>>
>>How does watching The Office on NBC cost me money? It only
>>costs me time and opportunity cost. But no money.
>
>Sure it doesn't. Keep believing that if you wish.

Please explain how watching the Office on NBC costs me money. Please. I need to know if I'm spending money and don't realize it.

To my knowledge, watching The Office on NBC has cost me $ 0.00.

>>>Everything you buy is a direct result of what
>>>you see on TV.
>>
>>That's total bullshit.
>
>No, it isn't.

Let me make sure I understand what you're saying - EVERYTHING YOU BUY IS A DIRECT RESULT OF WHAT YOU SEE ON TV.

Jesus Christ man. If that's true for you, I feel bad for you. It's most definitely NOT true for me. I don't really buy anything based on TV advertising.

>>I don't buy things based on what I see
>>on TV. I know you're referring to advertising and all that,
>>and I'm not claiming to be totally immune, but my choices at
>>the grocery store, music store, etc have nothing or very
>>little to do with my TV watching.
>
>Now *that's* total bullshit. Tell me how it is in that little
>vacuum you live in.

It's not a vacuum. I'm just saying advertising doesn't dictate what I buy. I buy whatever's on sale at the grocery store. I rarely buy clothes for myself (it's mostly my wife and family) but when I do, it's not something fashionable I saw on TV. It's whatever I see that looks like me. Other than food and clothes, most of my spending is music (not advertised much on TV), books (almost never advertised on TV), and DVDs (sure, they're advertised on TV but I don't usually buy the popular ones that are on TV).

Maybe one big difference between me and most people is that I don't watch much TV at all. I don't have cable, so I only have six possible channels to watch (NBC, CBS, Fox, ABC, UPN, WB). And I watch 1-2 hours of TV a night, AT MOST.

So clearly I'm not the TV advertising zombie that you think I am.

>Dude, you are a consumer. Everyone is. Own up to it. You're
>not above it, so stop.

I admit to being a consumer, but not a TV advertising zombie. I'm not immune to advertising, but I'm pretty close. At best, advertising merely lets me know about a product I might not otherwise have known existed. But it rarely convinces me to buy something unless I already wanted it.

>Of course there's also another option, that being BBC America,
>which is on cabl-- wait, you'd have to "pay for that." Or,
>let me gues, you "don't get that channel." Well, too bad for
>you. That was how I was first exposed to The Office.

Yep, no cable.

>Then there are other, less legal methods of geting DOWN with
>the show. But you two keep LOADING up the excuses, eh?
>
>(and, because you're apparently too dense to use your
>imagination, I'll tell you to take a gander at the all
>capped-words in that last sentence).

Pretty obvious what you mean. But since my only PC is at work, that's not a good option for me.

>Let me know if you come up with any more excuses so I can
>shoot them down with the quickness.

The bottom line is that I'm probably not gonna check out the BBC version.

>>And what kinda sucks about
>>renting TV series is that Blockbuster charges you for each
>>disc (though I guess it's still a good deal because each
>disc
>>usually has over 2-3 hours, more than the average movie).
>
>"Cry Me A River" (c) Justin Timberlake
>
>Ever heard of a little business called NetFlix? Doesn't
>Blockbuster have an online service? Don't both offer free
>trials?

Too much effort to sign up and quit just to see a show I'm not all that into in the first place.

>Excuses #2 and #3, shot down. Got any others?

The best excuse of all - I'm just not all that interested.

>>>That's a crock of shit, and you know it. And even if you
>>have
>>>a few folks who do (allegedly) talk that shit, so what?
>>Fuck
>>>them.
>>
>>Well, it just makes me think the shows must be really
>>different.
>
>Ooo, it's "different," so it must be "bad," right?

No, but if all the people who love the BBC version hate the US version, and I love the US version, it seems likely to me that I won't like the BBC version. At least as much as the US version.

>>And if I love the US version, why bother?
>
>Because if you're going to join a discussion about the two
>versions of a show you should probably see them both before
>chiming in?

Ideally, sure. But I said all along I'd never seen the BBC version. So I wasn't deceiving anyone.

I also never said the US version was better. I just said that I suspect I would probably like it better, IF I ever saw the Brit version. Big difference.

And that you've run out of excuses for your
>laziness?

It is laziness, but it's also a show I'm not all that into seeing (BBC version at least). Otherwise, I would have made the effort.

>(and before anyone else chimes in claiming that people have a
>choice to not watch the UK version, they certainly do, and
>they can also choose not to make excuses about why they
>haven't seen the show but are %100 sure they love the US
>version, unquestionably).

Not having seen the UK version doesn't have any effect on my love for the US version. If anything, it makes me better able to judge the merits of the US version on its own accord, rather than having to compare it to another version.

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Tue Oct-25-05 09:16 PM

66. "'The Reasons...' (c) Phillip Bailey (EWF)"
In response to Reply # 64

>Please explain how watching the Office on NBC costs me money.
>Please. I need to know if I'm spending money and don't realize
>it.
>
>To my knowledge, watching The Office on NBC has cost me $
>0.00.

Not to nitpick, but doesn't watching TV use energy? The TV you watch it on isn't stolen, is it? Well, there you go. When I said "everything costs," I meant *everything* costs.

>Let me make sure I understand what you're saying - EVERYTHING
>YOU BUY IS A DIRECT RESULT OF WHAT YOU SEE ON TV.

Pretty much. But I didn't need all caps to say it. So, please settle down.

>Jesus Christ man. If that's true for you, I feel bad for you.
>It's most definitely NOT true for me. I don't really buy
>anything based on TV advertising.

Okay. Whatever you say.

>It's not a vacuum. I'm just saying advertising doesn't dictate
>what I buy. I buy whatever's on sale at the grocery store. I
>rarely buy clothes for myself (it's mostly my wife and family)
>but when I do, it's not something fashionable I saw on TV.
>It's whatever I see that looks like me. Other than food and
>clothes, most of my spending is music (not advertised much on
>TV), books (almost never advertised on TV), and DVDs (sure,
>they're advertised on TV but I don't usually buy the popular
>ones that are on TV).
>
>Maybe one big difference between me and most people is that I
>don't watch much TV at all. I don't have cable, so I only have
>six possible channels to watch (NBC, CBS, Fox, ABC, UPN, WB).
>And I watch 1-2 hours of TV a night, AT MOST.

>So clearly I'm not the TV advertising zombie that you think I
>am.

Fair enough.

>>Dude, you are a consumer. Everyone is. Own up to it.
>You're
>>not above it, so stop.
>
>I admit to being a consumer, but not a TV advertising zombie.
>I'm not immune to advertising, but I'm pretty close. At best,
>advertising merely lets me know about a product I might not
>otherwise have known existed. But it rarely convinces me to
>buy something unless I already wanted it.

Fine.

*I'm snipping the rest, all the way down to:*

>The best excuse of all - I'm just not all that interested.

This is all you had to say in the first place. Instead, you presented a laundry list of reasons why you weren't going to watch. Blockbuster costs too much, I'm not going to buy it sight unseen, blah blah blah. All you really had to say was, hey, not that I'd pay to see the UK version anyway, but I'm just not all that interested in it. End of discussion.

>No, but if all the people who love the BBC version hate the US
>version,

Who here (beside possibly bignick), said they "hate" the US version? We may not be as fond of the US version as the UK one, but if you've been in the huge Office post, you'd see that there are those who still respect the show, just not as much as the UK version.

>and I love the US version, it seems likely to me that
>I won't like the BBC version. At least as much as the US
>version.

But how would you know unless you don't try? I have no respect for that laziness, I'm sorry.

>I also never said the US version was better. I just said that
>I suspect I would probably like it better, IF I ever saw the
>Brit version. Big difference.

So, you're not even allowing for the possibility that you'll like the UK version. You've made your mind up before you even saw an episode. Not only is that lazy, that's rather ignorant to boot. No "big difference" there. But hey, do you.

McDeezNuts
5663 posts
Wed Oct-26-05 09:55 AM

67. "RE: 'The Reasons...' (c) Phillip Bailey (EWF)"
In response to Reply # 66

>>Please explain how watching the Office on NBC costs me
>money.
>>Please. I need to know if I'm spending money and don't
>realize
>>it.
>>
>>To my knowledge, watching The Office on NBC has cost me $
>>0.00.
>
>Not to nitpick, but doesn't watching TV use energy? The TV
>you watch it on isn't stolen, is it? Well, there you go.
>When I said "everything costs," I meant *everything* costs.

Good point. You got me there.

>>Let me make sure I understand what you're saying -
>EVERYTHING
>>YOU BUY IS A DIRECT RESULT OF WHAT YOU SEE ON TV.
>
>Pretty much. But I didn't need all caps to say it. So,
>please settle down.

It just seemed like such an extreme point needed to be highlighted. It's hard for me to even imagine buying everything based on what's on TV.

>>The best excuse of all - I'm just not all that interested.
>
>This is all you had to say in the first place. Instead, you
>presented a laundry list of reasons why you weren't going to
>watch. Blockbuster costs too much, I'm not going to buy it
>sight unseen, blah blah blah. All you really had to say was,
>hey, not that I'd pay to see the UK version anyway, but I'm
>just not all that interested in it. End of discussion.

I guess so. I was initially cosigning with Will though. After seeing and loving the first season of the US Office, I thought to myself, hey maybe I should check out the BBC version, it's probably good too. Then, for all the reasons I mentioned, I decided against it.

>>No, but if all the people who love the BBC version hate the
>US
>>version,
>
>Who here (beside possibly bignick), said they "hate" the US
>version? We may not be as fond of the US version as the UK
>one, but if you've been in the huge Office post, you'd see
>that there are those who still respect the show, just not as
>much as the UK version.

Not sure if the word hate was used specifically, but that's the impression I got. Because so many people here talk about how bad it is compared to the UK version.

>>and I love the US version, it seems likely to me that
>>I won't like the BBC version. At least as much as the US
>>version.
>
>But how would you know unless you don't try? I have no
>respect for that laziness, I'm sorry.

Fair enough. But at least it's laziness born out of a relative lack of interest at this point. It's not like I'm dying to see the show but I'm too lazy to make it happen.

>>I also never said the US version was better. I just said
>that
>>I suspect I would probably like it better, IF I ever saw the
>>Brit version. Big difference.
>
>So, you're not even allowing for the possibility that you'll
>like the UK version. You've made your mind up before you even
>saw an episode. Not only is that lazy, that's rather ignorant
>to boot. No "big difference" there. But hey, do you.

Well, I'm allowing for the possibility that I'll like the UK version, I just don't think it's likely that I'll like it better. I think I would probably be amused by it, but mostly because it somewhat resembles the US version that I love.

In any case, you like the UK version and think I should watch it. I love the US version and have a litany of reasons why I'm too cheap and lazy to bother with the UK version. I guess it's a stalemate or something.

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Wed Oct-26-05 01:52 PM

69. "Yeah, we've reached an impasse, a stalemate, if you will."
In response to Reply # 67
Wed Oct-26-05 01:55 PM by ZooTown74

Thank you for remaining civil...

cantball
Charter member
46630 posts
Mon Oct-24-05 03:37 PM

8. "Jenna Fischer>>>>>>>>That chick"
In response to Reply # 0

Michael: George Michael, I’m sure that Egg is a very nice person. I just don’t want you spending all your money...

George Michael: Ann.

Michael: ... getting her all glittered up for Easter, you know?

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Mon Oct-24-05 04:14 PM

21. "RE: Jenna Fischer>>>>>>>>That chick"
In response to Reply # 8

I am not feeling that british chick. I know Brits are attractive people in general but that girl is straight busted.

cantball
Charter member
46630 posts
Mon Oct-24-05 05:27 PM

31. "She's orange,damnit"
In response to Reply # 21

Michael: George Michael, I’m sure that Egg is a very nice person. I just don’t want you spending all your money...

Melanism
Charter member
20449 posts

13. "Not yet..."
In response to Reply # 0

The American version has not incorporated Micheal's bosses yet.
---------------
http://melanism.com

"What, Chicks? No, No, Fuck Chicks! I just wanna dance. I just wanna express myself through the art of dance..."
--Dane Cook

PolarbearToenails
Charter member
11197 posts
Mon Oct-24-05 03:55 PM

16. "They're both brilliant."
In response to Reply # 0

Sometimes I think you may be right. I would say that the romance angle is so much more affecting in the UK version that it would be hard to pick the US.

That said, Carrell's characterization is every bit a match for Gervais'.

-
Bullseye with Jesse Thorn
A public radio show about things that are awesome.
http://www.maximumfun.org
"This is the kind of show people listen to in a more perfect world." - McSweeney's

cantball
Charter member
46630 posts
Mon Oct-24-05 04:03 PM

17. "Some people like the downtrodden Gervais"
In response to Reply # 16

but I think Carrell is even more sympathetic...just look at the Olympics episode

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Mon Oct-24-05 05:05 PM

27. "RE: They're both brilliant."
In response to Reply # 16

>That said, Carrell's characterization is every bit a match for
>Gervais'.

not. even. close.

Yogaflame
Charter member
3010 posts
Mon Oct-24-05 05:37 PM

32. "RE: They're both brilliant."
In response to Reply # 27

Emphasizing. Points. In. Such. A. Way. That. You. Begin. A. New. Sentence. For. Every. Paltry. Word. Is. So. Played. Out. Almost. As. Old. Hat. As. Referring. To. Something. As. Being. "On. Acid."

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Mon Oct-24-05 06:25 PM

38. "RE: They're both brilliant."
In response to Reply # 32

>Emphasizing. Points. In. Such. A. Way. That. You.
>Begin. A. New. Sentence. For. Every. Paltry. Word. Is.
> So. Played. Out. Almost. As. Old. Hat. As. Referring.
> To. Something. As. Being. "On. Acid."

what's lamer. doing it in a 3 word sentence or typing out a long winded diatribe against it in the same manner?

Yogaflame
Charter member
3010 posts
Mon Oct-24-05 06:45 PM

41. "RE: They're both brilliant."
In response to Reply # 38

I. Deserved. That.

DrNO
Charter member
25381 posts
Tue Oct-25-05 12:21 AM

50. "Cut. It. Out."
In response to Reply # 41

_

johnny_domino
Charter member
17027 posts
Mon Oct-24-05 04:15 PM

22. "when is the US Version on?"
In response to Reply # 0

I saw an episode or two last year and wasn't real impressed, but sitcoms often get better in year 2 or 3.

I do love the British version so it'll be tough for this one not to come up short in comparison, but I do like Steve Carrell a lot too.

PolarbearToenails
Charter member
11197 posts

25. "Tuesday nights."
In response to Reply # 22

Or wednesday mornings on bittorrent

-
Bullseye with Jesse Thorn
A public radio show about things that are awesome.
http://www.maximumfun.org
"This is the kind of show people listen to in a more perfect world." - McSweeney's

cantball
Charter member
46630 posts
Mon Oct-24-05 04:22 PM

23. "JUST found this..."
In response to Reply # 0

http://blogs.nbc.com/office/

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Mon Oct-24-05 05:17 PM

29. "LOL this is great"
In response to Reply # 23

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

AZ
Charter member
12930 posts

26. "no, simply b/c gareth is an awesome character and the american"
In response to Reply # 0

counterpart just doesn't measure up

still, the american version is still pretty damn funny

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Mon Oct-24-05 05:52 PM

34. "Dwight Schrute is one of the funniest characters on network TV now."
In response to Reply # 26

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Mon Oct-24-05 06:23 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
37. "Dwight is great..."
In response to Reply # 34

DrNO
Charter member
25381 posts
Tue Oct-25-05 12:22 AM

51. "he has no army training though"
In response to Reply # 37

_

Br
Member since Aug 02nd 2005
823 posts
Tue Oct-25-05 10:15 AM

60. "(territorial)"
In response to Reply # 51

:.:.::.:.::.:.::.:.::.:.::.:

magilla vanilla
Member since Sep 13th 2002
18749 posts
Tue Oct-25-05 06:39 PM

65. "but he is a sheriff's deputy!"
In response to Reply # 51

with a crossbow range. . . it's a perfect situation.

---------------------------------
Photo zine(some images NSFW): http://bit.ly/USaSPhoto

"This (and every, actually) conversation needs more Chesterton and less Mike Francesa." - Walleye

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Wed Oct-26-05 12:38 PM

68. "And a beet farm."
In response to Reply # 65

HighVoltage
Member since Jan 04th 2004
16583 posts
Mon Oct-24-05 05:11 PM

28. "oh hellll no"
In response to Reply # 0

not even close.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.itsallthewaylive.net

www.twitter.com/allthewaylive

The Real
Charter member
14041 posts
Mon Oct-24-05 05:25 PM

30. "Nope, don't see it"
In response to Reply # 0

The American version has surpassed my expectations; however, it's not funnier than than the BBC version. The BBC version is faster paced and the comedy comes quicker.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gotta be the milk

Yogaflame
Charter member
3010 posts
Mon Oct-24-05 05:41 PM

33. "I've felt this way a couple times myself."
In response to Reply # 0

At the end of the day, I'm fairly certain that the UK version is the better of the two, but I know what you're talking about.

John Krasinski's Jim Halpert is horrible though, in my opinion.

cantball
Charter member
46630 posts
Mon Oct-24-05 06:16 PM

35. "I think he's hilarious actually"
In response to Reply # 33

He adds that kind of former fratboy ness to the show

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Mon Oct-24-05 06:33 PM

39. "he actually seems on track to become the new Zach Braff"
In response to Reply # 35

for whatever that's worth

Yogaflame
Charter member
3010 posts
Mon Oct-24-05 06:44 PM

40. "^^And that's my problem^^"
In response to Reply # 39

DrNO
Charter member
25381 posts
Tue Oct-25-05 12:25 AM

52. "I think Halpert is pretty damn good"
In response to Reply # 33

He does seem to have more going for him than Tim did and that undercuts the underdog angle a little.

_

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Mon Oct-24-05 06:22 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
36. "YEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

...them british cats didnt make me laugh too much

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Mon Oct-24-05 10:26 PM

42. "No, it's not better."
In response to Reply # 0

Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant did more in 14 episodes than this version will do in a season. I guarantee it. In fact, it only underscores the point that what they're doing in this version is stretching everything out; for example, the Jim/Pam daillance is already getting boring because they're stretching it out too long and it doesn't seem to be moving forward; it's just the same stuff every week: Jim plays a prank in the office, Pam laughs and they share an awkward moment. Rinse, repeat. We've only seen the boyfriend a few times, and they've made a passing reference to Jim's new office romance. What's the holdup? In the UK version it worked simply because there was a sense of urgency with the proceedings. Also, I'm still waiting for the new guy to show up to get in Michael's ass. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out.

In a sense it's not fair to compare the two, simply because the quality vs. quantity argument is so skewed toward the UK version. But to their credit, the US version has come up with some nice stories (the office fire episode was a tour de force for Rainn Wilson and the office olympics was a nice idea that almost was pulled off...)

Don't get me wrong (c) buildingblock, I like the US version just fine, but it's not even close to seeing the UK version.
unfolding
enveloping
missles of soul

cantball
Charter member
46630 posts
Tue Oct-25-05 12:27 AM

53. "Of course they did more"
In response to Reply # 42

they condensed the whole story

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Tue Oct-25-05 02:46 AM

57. "Huh? Who did what more, and condensed what story?"
In response to Reply # 53

You can't be talking about the UK version. Because if you are, you can't mean to say that they somehow got their series order truncated so they had to shoehorn everything in, because if that is indeed what you are implying, then with all due respect, you are incorrect.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I must get back to importing my porn clips onto the new iPod.
unfolding
enveloping
missles of soul

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Mon Oct-24-05 10:31 PM

43. "hell & no"
In response to Reply # 0

...i laugh waaaay more at the original, and i saw the american version first...

....i think the american version is "cute", but the only reason i watch is because people here keep sayin it's so funny....

...the original i checked on DVD and ended up watching each episode (first season) TWICE...and i'm gonna end up buyin the set....

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Mon Oct-24-05 11:53 PM

48. "Yes, and Rocky VI will be better than Rocky I"
In response to Reply # 0

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Tue Oct-25-05 01:04 AM

54. "where was this 54 replies ago?"
In response to Reply # 48

this would've BURIED this fucking post.

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Tue Oct-25-05 07:24 AM

58. "I apologize for my tardiness."
In response to Reply # 54

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

Kungset
Member since Mar 29th 2004
6426 posts
Tue Oct-25-05 12:08 AM

49. "completely disagree"
In response to Reply # 0

i don't think it's seeing the original on any level. plus, they're stretching out a miniseries-length story arch into 20 episode seasons.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Tue Oct-25-05 10:03 AM

59. "To be fair"
In response to Reply # 0

I think that the US version has improved a lot since the first season. If you are judging first season NBC versus BBC version, you should check out the second season NBC.

ZooTown74
43582 posts
Tue Oct-25-05 11:09 AM

61. "Nope, it's still not touching it."
In response to Reply # 59

I laid out why in one of my above posts.
unfolding
enveloping
missles of soul

Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #33611 Previous topic | Next topic