Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #30246

Subject: "I'm reluctant to quote a Paula Cole song." This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Professor Calculus
Member since Jun 06th 2005
486 posts
Sun Jun-12-05 05:29 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"I'm reluctant to quote a Paula Cole song."

But where have all the Lee Marvin's gone?

Today's Hollywood male movie stars are too pretty, too skinny, too PC. Cucumber eyelid, pedicured prissies couldn't muster enough potency to show and prove difference between pop stars and movie stars: both choreographed, both nimbly scurrying down a velvet red carpet where hard-edged has given way to no edge. There's no surprise, no strength, all surrender. This is the Lifetime Channel generation of actors. If they remade The Wild Bunch today, it'd star Jake Gyllenhaal, the cast of the O.C, and be rated PG-13.

Now I'm not asking for ugly, woman-beating beasts who reek of Scotch and swine. It's not like you gotta drink motor oil or anything; we all know John Wayne's walk or Alain Delon's good look, but these were still men you could root for and respect. Now bare knuckle and badass has transformed to gift-bag and glitter. Back then, Bogart was that guy. He drank, fought, got the girl, and still was able to portray enough emotional honesty in his characters to the point where you wouldn't think him a one-dimensional ape. No one likes caricatures, just give us convincing, please. I don't want multiplexes full of cardboard cutouts like Bruce Campbell (no disrespect), but I'd settle for a Rio Bravo Ricky Nelson at this point. Who's out there?

Benicio Del Toro got fat from a bad diet and ass from a young starlet (who can blame him). Now he sees fit acting sparingly, eating more, becoming soft in the center. George Clooney has the Bogart charm but is too polished. Even as he emerged from a prison break covered in mud and filth, the GQ status couldn't be hidden. Mickey Rourke perfectly summoned the brutality and harshness of a thousand raw eggs and unfiltered cigarettes in Sin City, but he's too old to be the future now. Though he has the physical stature and ability, Sean Penn's self-concern is too focused on playing retards, politics, and critic's favorite. Too often melodramatic and settling for artistic pretensions, he'd make the Dirty Dozen into a bleached ballet with a liberal slant. Bruce Willis needs a new agent and another ten years in the spotlight to give the next decade a chance. Same goes for Sam Jackson.

Matt Damon's the future? Colin Farrell's the future? Clive Owen's the future? I could kick Jude Law's ass. Does Kurt Russell act anymore? Russell Crowe is all we got? The man is a great actor, tough without being basic, but he's one guy, and an Australian no less. (Has American pie become flaccid?)

I blame Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jean-Claude Van Damme, muscular imps who birthed the modern action star. Full of brawn but lacking brains, upper-body stiffness was matched by an emotionally vapid figure. Suddenly the character who saved the world and righted wrongs had to do karate kicks and break through glass. Machine guns replaced the pistol and everything became an exercise in excess. The modern hero traded in wit for warfare, strength for steroids, style for special effects, daring for dullness. In the process, men became cartoonish and the badass was forced to play it to extremes or not get played at all. That's why today there's ex-bouncers and wrestling stars where yesterday there were cowboys and barroom brawlers. Gone is the way of the western, of guns and of honor. Now people whisper to horses. Actors are either emasculated or exaggerated. Everyone's become safe, scarred of offending fragile sensibilities. But in an artistic context, sometimes misogyny isn't so bad. Bring back the boom bap.

Give me an actor who's virile, able to defend his own, street poetic but not all talk, wise guy with cynical point of view, apt with a firearm and a female, strong but not invisible, rough-faced, tough-willed, a man. What happened to being an cool killer? A capable thief? The Man With No Name sort who didn't take lip or miss a chance to better himself. The Youngblood Priest type that'd snort coke off of Christ and sex a nice chick. That dude that'd kick your ass, say something smart, drink something strong, steal your girl, and make the movie work.

--swipe: http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2004-07-01-men-from-boys_x.htm--

Part of the problem: Our standards have shifted. "If you look at the magazine ads from the '40s and '50s, the desire of young people was to look mature," notes film historian and critic Leonard Maltin. "The goal was to become an adult. Then came the societal revolution in the late '60s and early '70s when youth culture took over. Everyone wants to look young forever. Sometimes, when contemporary male stars take on these parts, I get the idea that they are wearing their big brother's clothes."

Relationship expert Gilda Carle suggests that new millennium males strive for a less macho ideal. "We are metrosexual-obsessed and heading towards more girly men. People who create these images for us think that is what women want. The reality is, I get thousands of e-mails from women who aren't happy with metrosexual types. They want to go back to when men were men."

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: I'm reluctant to quote a Paula Cole song.
Jun 12th 2005
I don't know who Luke Kirby is.
Jun 12th 2005
      RE: I don't know who Luke Kirby is.
Jun 12th 2005
           Why Ed Harris though?
Jun 13th 2005
RE: I'm reluctant to quote a Paula Cole song.
Jun 13th 2005
As true then as it is now, no?
Jun 13th 2005
Welcome back. :-) n/m
Jun 13th 2005
shhh (hi.)
Jun 13th 2005
Clive Owen fits the bill
Jun 13th 2005
I can't agree with you about Josh Lucas
Jun 13th 2005
I did say maybe
Jun 13th 2005
Clive Owen is like 1-1-2 w/ me.
Jun 13th 2005
      RE: Clive Owen is like 1-1-2 w/ me.
Jun 14th 2005
           I disliked The Croupier something terrible.
Jun 14th 2005
                so what you're saying is, you took the loss
Jan 23rd 2006
RE: "I bet you're a big Lee Marvin Fan"
Jun 13th 2005
I agree with about Barry Pepper
Jun 13th 2005
RE: I agree with about Barry Pepper
Jun 13th 2005
Jun 13th 2005
Jun 13th 2005
      this was before your Crash post, huh?
Jan 23rd 2006
      I support Franco too
Jun 13th 2005
Barry Pepper might have a good year.
Jun 13th 2005
      RE: Barry Pepper might have a good year.
Jun 14th 2005
           man, Barry sucked in Knockaround guys
Jun 14th 2005
what I want to know is where have all the flowers gone?
Jun 13th 2005
what about Daniel Craig ?
Jun 13th 2005
Who's that?
Jun 13th 2005
      RE: Who's that?
Jun 14th 2005
           RE: Craig
Jun 14th 2005
           good, though not great in Munich
Jan 23rd 2006
                RE: good, though not great in Munich
Jan 26th 2006
I like it. It makes me feel like I can kick all the movie stars' asses.
Jun 13th 2005
If that was the case, Corky coulda been in Escape From New York.
Jun 13th 2005
      I know, I was joking around (welcome back by the way)
Jun 13th 2005
           talking about Hold Me Softly -- If You Want.
Jun 13th 2005
Gary Oldman, bitches
Jun 14th 2005
RE: Cosign & adds Gabriel Byrne
Jun 14th 2005
is Gary Oldman a good modern villain? yes.
Jun 14th 2005
Clooney's more comprable Cary Grant than Bogart to me
Jun 14th 2005
It's a matter of 'sexual prowess.'
Jun 14th 2005
      my 100% heterosexual response
Jun 14th 2005
           pre-emptive 'no homo.'
Jun 14th 2005
                both of you are off
Jun 14th 2005
                Holden owns Clooney, Bogart, and Grant.
Jun 14th 2005
                     well if you want to talk about level of talent
Jun 14th 2005
                          never seen ER, don't know what Clooney was like.
Jun 14th 2005
                LOL
Jun 15th 2005
                *surprise witness backfires*
Jun 15th 2005
                fun with editing
Jun 15th 2005
meanwhile ur nickname is the BOMB! Cuthbert Calculus is the MAN
Jun 14th 2005
Tintin in general is way too overlooked.
Jun 14th 2005
      ive ready every single book at least ten times over
Jun 15th 2005
RE: Mark Ruffalo?
Jun 15th 2005
He'd have to expand on his Collateral role a lot.
Jun 15th 2005
      RE: He'd have to expand on his Collateral role a lot.
Jun 17th 2005
What's popular consensus on Orlando Bloom?
Jun 15th 2005
RE: Bloom
Jun 15th 2005
      LOL
Jun 15th 2005
           I go away for a couple months and miss history?
Jun 15th 2005
                come on, you've come out of retirement enough times to know...
Jun 16th 2005
Supplemental reading: The Rise and Fall of the Tough Guy.
Jun 16th 2005
all the ugly male actors went to television
Jun 20th 2005
Denzel Washington & Harrison Ford fit the bill
Jun 21st 2005
^^up^^
Aug 05th 2005
RE: Eric Bana
Aug 05th 2005
I've been meaning to see Chopper but still haven't.
Aug 07th 2005
      He was one of the best parts of Troy.
Aug 07th 2005
           RE: He's by far the best parts of
Aug 08th 2005
                We can add Munich to this list also
Jan 23rd 2006
                     he was about the only good part of Troy
Jan 23rd 2006
                          Yeah Chopper kinda sucked
Jan 26th 2006
The Rock
Aug 08th 2005
RE: The Rock
Aug 08th 2005
reup.
Jan 23rd 2006

Yogaflame
Charter member
3010 posts
Sun Jun-12-05 06:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: I'm reluctant to quote a Paula Cole song."
In response to Reply # 0

James Franco, Luke Kirby and Joaquin Phoenix all have the abilities of being such an actor, but, unfortunately, this means nothing unless the roles first present themselves.

Professor Calculus
486 posts
Sun Jun-12-05 10:09 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I don't know who Luke Kirby is."
In response to Reply # 1

>James Franco, Luke Kirby and Joaquin Phoenix all have the
>abilities of being such an actor, but, unfortunately, this
>means nothing unless the roles first present themselves.

Joaquin Phoenix was not a name I was expecting to hear. If we can say that he started getting steady work in 97, then that means he's been acting for 8 years with hardly a memorable character or performance to show for it. If you look U-Turn, Gladiator, and 8 MM, he's maybe even the opposite of the type of guy I was attempting to describe. For as tough or detestable as he may be, he still comes off too cutesy and boyish. That's not to say he's not a good actor, but I don't think he has the frame or ability to be a strong figure. I should note that I haven't seen any of his really recent work.

James Franco is an interesting pick. Only knowing him from the Freaks and Geeks series and what little bit I saw of the James Dean movie, I think he's an inspired candidate. Right now he still looks young. His face doesn't have that bit of age or wear on it necessary, and some of the projects he's choosing leave a lot to be desired. But maybe, if he's still around in a decade or so--mid 30s--we'll see. He has the talent, i.e. potential, to be some Warren Oates figure with enough time and good fortune. According to imdb.com, Franco is set to star in three films this year. We'll see how that goes.

But yeah, I agree with you that a lot of the future of a certain type of actor definitely depends on a certain type of film being made. And with movies becoming growingly safe and limp, as are the characters and leading men, everyone involved is being marginalized. The last decent western was made over 10 years ago, by an icon in the genre. Since then, what? Say what you will about Robert Rodriguez or Tarantino, but at least they're not churning out Michael Bay heroes or Oprah Book Club, Kevin Costner saps.

Yogaflame
Charter member
3010 posts
Sun Jun-12-05 10:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RE: I don't know who Luke Kirby is."
In response to Reply # 2

Luke Kirby is a fantastic young Canadian actor.

I went young cause I thought that's what you were going for. Ed Harris and Nick Nolte are two actors of the older set that personify everything outlined in your original post.

Professor Calculus
486 posts
Mon Jun-13-05 01:50 AM

8. "Why Ed Harris though?"
In response to Reply # 3

Just curious why you singled him out. Having seen (only) Enemy at the Gates, Pollock, The Truman Show, Stepmom, The Rock, Apollo 13, Milk Money, I don't know why him. Although in a slimy sort of way he has the look.

>I went young cause I thought that's what you were going for.
>Ed Harris and Nick Nolte are two actors of the older set that
>personify everything outlined in your original post.

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Mon Jun-13-05 12:42 AM

4. "RE: I'm reluctant to quote a Paula Cole song."
In response to Reply # 0

>But where have all the Lee Marvin's gone?
>
>Today's Hollywood male movie stars are too pretty, too skinny,
>too PC.

you're about 5 years late on this post.

Professor Calculus
486 posts
Mon Jun-13-05 01:28 AM

6. "As true then as it is now, no?"
In response to Reply # 4

>>But where have all the Lee Marvin's gone?
>>
>>Today's Hollywood male movie stars are too pretty, too
>skinny,
>>too PC.
>
>you're about 5 years late on this post.

Sorry man, I wasn't posting on the Internet 5 years ago. Anyway, timing shouldn't make my beef less legitimate. It's still accurate in present day.

kurlyswirl
Member since Jul 13th 2002
16693 posts
Mon Jun-13-05 01:27 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "Welcome back. :-) n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

My diminutive DVD collection: http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=kurlyswirl

I be Scrobblin': http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/TasteeTreat/

Professor Calculus
486 posts
Mon Jun-13-05 01:31 AM

7. "shhh (hi.)"
In response to Reply # 5

But I'm not back back. I start a new job tomorrow so I figure I'll be consistently busy enough to not regularly post from here on, but I'll make special guest appearances every so often. But I'm not back . . .yeah . . .

DrNO
Charter member
25381 posts
Mon Jun-13-05 02:29 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "Clive Owen fits the bill"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jun-13-05 02:33 AM by DrNO

I guess Michael Madsen would be too old but he's as close as it comes.
Josh Lucas maybe.

_
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4TztqYaemt0
http://preptimeposse.blogspot.com/

Yogaflame
Charter member
3010 posts
Mon Jun-13-05 09:36 AM

10. "I can't agree with you about Josh Lucas"
In response to Reply # 9

I don't buy it. Too LL Bean, in my opinion.

DrNO
Charter member
25381 posts
Mon Jun-13-05 02:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
17. "I did say maybe"
In response to Reply # 10

maybe he'll grow into it.

_

Professor Calculus
486 posts
Mon Jun-13-05 08:39 PM

20. "Clive Owen is like 1-1-2 w/ me."
In response to Reply # 9

one win = BMW shorts

one loss = The Croupier

two draws = Sin City & Bourne Identity

According to popular opinion, if I were to see Closer, it'd push me over the edge regarding him. And I don't even remember him in Gosford Park for some reason. But yeah, he could very well be the future (another non-American though).

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Tue Jun-14-05 02:21 PM

29. "RE: Clive Owen is like 1-1-2 w/ me."
In response to Reply # 20

>one win = BMW shorts
>
>one loss = The Croupier

What made that a loss?

>two draws = Sin City & Bourne Identity

He needed WAY more screen time in Bourne Indentity. Wasnt he only in 1 scene?

>According to popular opinion, if I were to see Closer, it'd
>push me over the edge regarding him. And I don't even
>remember him in Gosford Park for some reason. But yeah, he
>could very well be the future (another non-American though).

He basically carries Closer from start 2 finish.

Professor Calculus
486 posts
Tue Jun-14-05 07:08 PM

36. "I disliked The Croupier something terrible."
In response to Reply # 29

>>one win = BMW shorts
>>
>>one loss = The Croupier
>
>What made that a loss?

Owen was boring, but that's most likely a fault best aimed at the director. The movie was a complete waste of a decent setting, and throughout the whole thing I kept thinking "this is by the same dude who did Get Carter?"

>>two draws = Sin City & Bourne Identity
>
>He needed WAY more screen time in Bourne Indentity. Wasnt he
>only in 1 scene?

Maybe two scenes, but yeah, too brief. When he was there, he was a nice little boost.

>He basically carries Closer from start 2 finish.

Negative reviews are gonna keep me away from Closer for a while probably.

johnny_domino
Charter member
17027 posts
Mon Jan-23-06 10:56 PM

70. "so what you're saying is, you took the loss"
In response to Reply # 36

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Mon Jun-13-05 11:40 AM

11. "RE: "I bet you're a big Lee Marvin Fan""
In response to Reply # 0

And even tho I think Clive Owen might fit the bill...his emersion from the tarpit in Sin City was quite similar 2 that Clooney example you mentioned.

Colin Farrell seemed like he could've fit the bill early on if you look @ Tigerland. But since then, flicks like American Outlaws & Alexander have hurt his chances.

James Franco appears 2 be trying 2 hard in the movies I've seen him in. City by the Sea still induces a gag reflex when I think about it.

I think if given the right role...Barry Pepper could be a valid candidate.

Yogaflame
Charter member
3010 posts
Mon Jun-13-05 11:56 AM

12. "I agree with about Barry Pepper"
In response to Reply # 11

Though, City by the Sea aside, you're dead wrong about Franco. He is an immensely talented, near effortless performer.

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Mon Jun-13-05 12:24 PM

13. "RE: I agree with about Barry Pepper"
In response to Reply # 12

>Though, City by the Sea aside, you're dead wrong about
>Franco.

Damn. Am I? I hate it when I get my own opinions wrong. That seems 2 happen a lot around here. My bad.

He is an immensely talented, near effortless
>performer.

Ok. You can call it "near effortless" if u like. And while I wont tell you you're wrong since that's your own opinion, I will tell ya that he seemed 2 be overacting a lot in both of those Spiderman movies. Even tho a lot of his roles might call 4 a cool character, 2 me he trying 2 hard 2 be cool & it doesnt come off naturally like it does for others. And I couldn't even get through 10 minutes of Sonny.

Yogaflame
Charter member
3010 posts
Mon Jun-13-05 12:36 PM

14. "RE: I agree with about Barry Pepper"
In response to Reply # 13

Chill out...Jesus.

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Mon Jun-13-05 12:45 PM

15. "RE: I agree with about Barry Pepper"
In response to Reply # 14

>Chill out...Jesus.

I'm chill. U told me I was dead wrong & I told you why I wasnt. What's the big deal?

johnny_domino
Charter member
17027 posts
Mon Jan-23-06 11:04 PM

72. "this was before your Crash post, huh?"
In response to Reply # 14

DrNO
Charter member
25381 posts
Mon Jun-13-05 02:37 PM

18. "I support Franco too"
In response to Reply # 13

I thought he was damn good in the Spider-Man movies. They're melodramas and he played the part right. Plus he's great in Freaks & Geeks and The Company.
He's got a movie he directed coming out this year and he's already directing a second.

_

Professor Calculus
486 posts
Mon Jun-13-05 08:48 PM

22. "Barry Pepper might have a good year."
In response to Reply # 11

>I think if given the right role...Barry Pepper could be a
>valid candidate.

Nice choice. He was good in Saving Pvt. Ryan and great in 25th Hour.

The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (2005)--sounds very promising
http://imdb.com/title/tt0419294/

Ripley Under Ground (2005)--probably will not be a good movie, but could be a decent opportunity for him
http://imdb.com/title/tt0219171/

and for next year Unknown (2006)--interesting, but directed by a music video director though
http://imdb.com/title/tt0450340/

Even if these don't turn all turn out to be classics, they are at least potentially the type of movies and roles I had in mind. And I think Pepper has the ability to make them work.

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Tue Jun-14-05 03:01 PM

33. "RE: Barry Pepper might have a good year."
In response to Reply # 22

>>I think if given the right role...Barry Pepper could be a
>>valid candidate.
>
>Nice choice. He was good in Saving Pvt. Ryan and great in
>25th Hour.

I even thought he did a good job in Knockaround Guys which was a terrible movie but he still made it watchable.

>The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (2005)--sounds very
>promising
>http://imdb.com/title/tt0419294/

Yeah from the clips I saw both him & Jones look like they give top notch performances

>Ripley Under Ground (2005)--probably will not be a good movie,
>but could be a decent opportunity for him
>http://imdb.com/title/tt0219171/

Havent seen any of the other Ripley movies so I'm not sure about this one.

>and for next year Unknown (2006)--interesting, but directed by
>a music video director though
>http://imdb.com/title/tt0450340/

Certainly sounds interesting. Whether or not I see it is probably gonna depend on the trailer however.

>Even if these don't turn all turn out to be classics, they are
>at least potentially the type of movies and roles I had in
>mind. And I think Pepper has the ability to make them work.

He's got good range as well. Entirely convincing as Roger Marris in 61*. And it took me awhile 2 realize it was him playing Earnheart in 3

Mynoriti
Charter member
38828 posts
Tue Jun-14-05 03:10 PM

34. "man, Barry sucked in Knockaround guys"
In response to Reply # 33

he wasn't given much to work with, but he still sucked right along with everyone else in the movie.

he's a good actor though

Mr Mech
Member since Jul 02nd 2002
8373 posts
Mon Jun-13-05 02:26 PM

16. "what I want to know is where have all the flowers gone?"
In response to Reply # 0

It's been a long time passing.

Mech

benny
Member since Jan 15th 2003
8436 posts
Mon Jun-13-05 04:37 PM

19. "what about Daniel Craig ?"
In response to Reply # 0

he was fuckin dope in Layer Cake.

------------------------------
For the record, my teams:
MLB: Mets / Soccer: PSG
NCAA BB: Arizona / NCAA FB: Michigan
NBA: Spurs / NFL: Jets

Professor Calculus
486 posts
Mon Jun-13-05 08:49 PM

23. "Who's that?"
In response to Reply # 19

>he was fuckin dope in Layer Cake.

What's that?

benny
Member since Jan 15th 2003
8436 posts
Tue Jun-14-05 02:08 AM

27. "RE: Who's that?"
In response to Reply # 23

>>he was fuckin dope in Layer Cake.
>
>What's that?

a new British gangster movie (see: Snatch; Lock, Stock, even though it's not really in the same vein). I think it came out in limited release. Daniel Craig plays a coke dealer who goes for one last deal before retiring, he's excellent in it.

------------------------------
For the record, my teams:
MLB: Mets / Soccer: PSG
NCAA BB: Arizona / NCAA FB: Michigan
NBA: Spurs / NFL: Jets

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Tue Jun-14-05 02:23 PM

30. "RE: Craig"
In response to Reply # 27

Solid in Road 2 Perdition as well

johnny_domino
Charter member
17027 posts
Mon Jan-23-06 11:06 PM

73. "good, though not great in Munich"
In response to Reply # 27

haven't seen Layer Cake yet. And it's not like you can really be anything but a branding implement in the Bond movies.

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Thu Jan-26-06 05:08 PM

74. "RE: good, though not great in Munich"
In response to Reply # 73

I thought he was as good as the role offered. All of those guys were good in their supporting roles 2 Bana.

>haven't seen Layer Cake yet.

It's worth checking out. He's very good in it. Better than the movie really.

And it's not like you can really
>be anything but a branding implement in the Bond movies.

Well see. Hopefully they bring something new 2 the role this time.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86675 posts
Mon Jun-13-05 08:47 PM

21. "I like it. It makes me feel like I can kick all the movie stars' asses."
In response to Reply # 0

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Professor Calculus
486 posts
Mon Jun-13-05 08:53 PM

24. "If that was the case, Corky coulda been in Escape From New York."
In response to Reply # 21

Neighbors, mailmen, and grocery store bag boys are the only people I feel I need to be able to beat up.

Actors needn't be pussies. I like the idea that Bill Holden woulda never done pilates.

Frank Longo
86675 posts
Mon Jun-13-05 09:53 PM

25. "I know, I was joking around (welcome back by the way)"
In response to Reply # 24

Adam Brody could never have played Mike Hammer.

Professor Calculus
486 posts
Mon Jun-13-05 10:50 PM

26. "talking about Hold Me Softly -- If You Want."
In response to Reply # 25

>Adam Brody

"some of these n*ggas is bitches too"

6FeetDeepInThought
Charter member
2557 posts
Tue Jun-14-05 02:53 AM

28. "Gary Oldman, bitches"
In response to Reply # 0

He's kinda old, but he still kicks ass

Save Our Sonics!
http://www.saveoursonics.org/

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Tue Jun-14-05 02:25 PM

31. "RE: Cosign & adds Gabriel Byrne"
In response to Reply # 28

Miller's Crossing & Usual Suspects

Professor Calculus
486 posts
Tue Jun-14-05 07:04 PM

35. "is Gary Oldman a good modern villain? yes."
In response to Reply # 28
Tue Jun-14-05 07:29 PM by Professor Calculus

But I think he can't satisfy this demand of mine: "no one likes caricatures, just give us convincing." He's the circus attempt at Klaus Kinski.

EDIT: if by chance you don't know who Klaus Kinski is, put down everything and get The Great Silence.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00012L77W/qid=1118794976/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-0499113-9084702?v=glance&s=dvd

I'd near put my life on that recommendation.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38828 posts
Tue Jun-14-05 02:38 PM

32. "Clooney's more comprable Cary Grant than Bogart to me"
In response to Reply # 0

(not to say that he's near Grant's his level)

I don't really get the Bogey comparison. Bogart was more a little more grimy, sarcastic, cynical, yet still demanded undivided attention.

Professor Calculus
486 posts
Tue Jun-14-05 07:18 PM

37. "It's a matter of 'sexual prowess.'"
In response to Reply # 32

>(not to say that he's near Grant's his level)
>
>I don't really get the Bogey comparison. Bogart was more a
>little more grimy, sarcastic, cynical, yet still demanded
>undivided attention.

How to say this without coming off gay . . . There's that quote about Grant, "he was bisexual at best." Bogart was a strong guy. Not Montgomery Clift in the looks department, but it's not a stretch that he could have gotten any female character written for him. He was physically more grand, more "manly" than the slightly frail, slightly effeminate Grant. To me, using that difference, Clooney is less Grant and more Bogart. However, where Bogart was good-looking, Clooney still is a little pretty.

Charm-wise, he may be more in line with Grant, since he lacks the grimy, cynical quality, as you point out, but overall I don't see it quite so well. I think you're looking at Clooney from the lens of Intolerable Cruelty or Ocean's Eleven, whereas I guess I'm seeing him from an Out of Sight, Three Kings point of view.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38828 posts
Tue Jun-14-05 08:37 PM

39. "my 100% heterosexual response"
In response to Reply # 37
Tue Jun-14-05 08:52 PM by Mynoriti

>How to say this without coming off gay . . . There's that
>quote about Grant, "he was bisexual at best." Bogart was a
>strong guy. Not Montgomery Clift in the looks department, but
>it's not a stretch that he could have gotten any female
>character written for him. He was physically more grand, more
>"manly" than the slightly frail, slightly effeminate Grant.
>To me, using that difference, Clooney is less Grant and more
>Bogart. However, where Bogart was good-looking, Clooney still
>is a little pretty.

with the exception of Cary possibly being slightly effeminate, I think you have it backwards. Bogey wasn't really a good looking guy. he was short, had bad teeth and overall average looks. it was his attitude, confidence, masculinity, and wit that made him such a presence

Cary Grant was just a handsome ass man. I don't know how tall he was or anything but I've never seen him as frail at all. I don't know what you mean by "physically more grand" but in terms of looks/physique I'd say he eclipses Bogart in both categories. and his charm, i'd definitely liken more to Clooney. plus they both have a certain comedic clumsiness in common (if that makes sense)

>Charm-wise, he may be more in line with Grant, since he lacks
>the grimy, cynical quality, as you point out, but overall I
>don't see it quite so well. I think you're looking at Clooney
>from the lens of Intolerable Cruelty or Ocean's Eleven,
>whereas I guess I'm seeing him from an Out of Sight, Three
>Kings point of view.

perhaps, but even in those movies you mention, where Clooney may be a bit more masculine than Grant, I still see zero Bogart in him.

hey since when do you care about actors anyway?

Professor Calculus
486 posts
Tue Jun-14-05 10:35 PM

40. "pre-emptive 'no homo.'"
In response to Reply # 39

>with the exception of Cary possibly being slightly effeminate,
>I think you have it backwards. Bogey wasn't really a good
>looking guy. he was short, had bad teeth and overall average
>looks. it was his attitude, confidence, masculinity, and wit
>that made him such a presence

hmm . . . Perhaps Bogart is just I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M TYPING THESE WORDS more I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M TYPING THESE WORDS my I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M TYPING THESE WORDS type. Cary Grant is too delicate. But I think we need a female's perspective on this, and because janey probably would add propensity for anal sex and human rights activism into the equation, the court calls kurlyswirl forward.

Bogart--good looking in a hard-edged sort of way
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=bogart

--or--

Grant--too Victorian; is he or isn't he?
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=cary+grant

And on that note . . . *heads to welivetogether.com*

>Cary Grant was just a handsome ass man. I don't know how tall
>he was or anything but I've never seen him as frail at all. I
>don't know what you mean by "physically more grand" but in
>terms of looks/physique I'd say he eclipses Bogart in both
>categories. and his charm, i'd definitely liken more to
>Clooney. plus they both have a certain comedic clumsiness in
>common (if that makes sense)

Good point on the "comedic clumsiness."

physically more grand = I could beat up Cary Grant, not Bogart.

Grant is just too gentle, and I attribute that in part to his slender size. I can't believe you're going with this http://riscf50.unibg.it/fa/imgs/cg-169.jpg

>> I think you're looking at Clooney
>>from the lens of Intolerable Cruelty or Ocean's Eleven,
>>whereas I guess I'm seeing him from an Out of Sight, Three
>>Kings point of view.
>
>perhaps, but even in those movies you mention, where Clooney
>may be a bit more masculine than Grant, I still see zero
>Bogart in him.

Here's an exercise w/ a hypothetical. Say that you had to recast the part of Rick in Casablanca. I know, I know, blasphemy. And say that no one else, not even George Raft, could be considered but George Clooney and Cary Grant. Who do you see as fitting better?

Now perhaps George is just the happy medium between Humphrey and ol' Archibald, not as tough and not as effeminate, I'll concede that.

>hey since when do you care about actors anyway?

I've always liked a certain type of actor. And in its own self-contained context, acting isn't the bad. It's just when compared to the other elements that go into making a movie, it becomes much less important. I think I just got my next post idea.

DrNO
Charter member
25381 posts
Tue Jun-14-05 10:44 PM

42. "both of you are off"
In response to Reply # 40

George Clooney is the modern version of William Holden

_

Professor Calculus
486 posts
Tue Jun-14-05 10:59 PM

43. "Holden owns Clooney, Bogart, and Grant."
In response to Reply # 42

>George Clooney is the modern version of William Holden

Looks-wise that might be the more apt comparison, but that's it.

Clooney couldn't hold the jockstrap of the dude who holds the jockstrap of Bill Holden's second cousin.

DrNO
Charter member
25381 posts
Tue Jun-14-05 11:07 PM

44. "well if you want to talk about level of talent"
In response to Reply # 43

you may be right. But as far as characteristics I think Clooney has more in common with Holden than Bogart or Grant. Can you imagine either of them on ER? I can picture Holden in that part though.

_

Professor Calculus
486 posts
Tue Jun-14-05 11:17 PM

45. "never seen ER, don't know what Clooney was like."
In response to Reply # 44

I think Holden, I think Stalag 17. I don't see Clooney. But that's just my frame of reference.

kurlyswirl
16693 posts
Wed Jun-15-05 01:55 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
46. "LOL"

Cary Grant is too
>delicate. But I think we need a female's perspective on this,
>and because janey probably would add propensity for anal sex
>and human rights activism into the equation, the court calls
>kurlyswirl forward.
>
>Bogart--good looking in a hard-edged sort of way
>http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=bogart
>
>--or--
>
>Grant--too Victorian; is he or isn't he?
>http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=cary+grant

Sorry, Calc, but I'm gonna have to go with Cary Grant. The man is flawlessly good-looking. I don't see him as being delicate, but I agree he's got that slightly effeminate "thin, single and neat (c)Jerry Seinfeld" look going on.

Bogart isn't unattractive...just not really my type, I guess. lol

And I think George is much more Cary in looks and personality than Bogart.

However...

>Here's an exercise w/ a hypothetical. Say that you had to
>recast the part of Rick in Casablanca. I know, I know,
>blasphemy. And say that no one else, not even George Raft,
>could be considered but George Clooney and Cary Grant. Who do
>you see as fitting better?

Gotta go with Clooney. That part calls for someone more rugged-looking than Cary.

My diminutive DVD collection: http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=kurlyswirl

Professor Calculus
486 posts
Wed Jun-15-05 07:27 PM

50. "*surprise witness backfires*"
In response to Reply # 46

>>Bogart--good looking in a hard-edged sort of way
>>http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=bogart
>>
>>--or--
>>
>>Grant--too Victorian; is he or isn't he?
>>http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=cary+grant
>
>Sorry, Calc, but I'm gonna have to go with Cary Grant. The man
>is flawlessly good-looking. I don't see him as being delicate,
>but I agree he's got that slightly effeminate "thin, single
>and neat (c)Jerry Seinfeld" look going on.
>
>Bogart isn't unattractive...just not really my type, I guess.
>lol

Okay, I have bad taste in men, I think I can live with that.

>>Here's an exercise w/ a hypothetical. Say that you had to
>>recast the part of Rick in Casablanca. I know, I know,
>>blasphemy. And say that no one else, not even George Raft,
>>could be considered but George Clooney and Cary Grant. Who
>do
>>you see as fitting better?
>
>Gotta go with Clooney. That part calls for someone more
>rugged-looking than Cary.

And is that not the quintessential Bogart role (as per popular opinion)? And I can't really imagine Clooney fitting in North By Northwest comfortably, but something like His Girl Friday makes sense. Oh well . . .

Mynoriti
Charter member
38828 posts
Wed Jun-15-05 11:45 AM

48. "fun with editing"

>hmm . . . Perhaps Bogart is just more my type. Cary Grant is too
>delicate. (c)Professor Calculus

sigworthy

> Now perhaps George is just the happy medium between Humphrey
>and ol' Archibald, not as tough and not as effeminate, I'll
>concede that.

yeah that's about right.

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Tue Jun-14-05 08:09 PM

38. "meanwhile ur nickname is the BOMB! Cuthbert Calculus is the MAN"
In response to Reply # 0

V.

---
http://confessionsofacurlymind.com
https://soundcloud.com/confessionsofacurlymindredux
https://soundcloud.com/generic80sbadguy
https://soundcloud.com/miles_matheson

DROkayplayerâ„¢

Professor Calculus
486 posts
Tue Jun-14-05 10:36 PM

41. "Tintin in general is way too overlooked."
In response to Reply # 38

I'd pay decent money for a framed shot of this:
http://www.remick.net/tintin/Covers.JPG/crystal.JPG

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Wed Jun-15-05 09:38 AM

47. "ive ready every single book at least ten times over"
In response to Reply # 41

V.

---
http://confessionsofacurlymind.com
https://soundcloud.com/confessionsofacurlymindredux
https://soundcloud.com/generic80sbadguy
https://soundcloud.com/miles_matheson

DROkayplayerâ„¢

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Wed Jun-15-05 01:23 PM

49. "RE: Mark Ruffalo?"
In response to Reply # 0

Professor Calculus
486 posts
Wed Jun-15-05 07:31 PM

51. "He'd have to expand on his Collateral role a lot."
In response to Reply # 49

I haven't but have you seen Windtalkers? I wonder how he was there.

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Fri Jun-17-05 01:59 PM

58. "RE: He'd have to expand on his Collateral role a lot."
In response to Reply # 51

>I haven't but have you seen Windtalkers? I wonder how he was
>there.

Naw havent seen it but his role in Collateral is what made me think about it. But I cant recall if he was supposed 2 be playing an undercover cop or if that was supposed 2 be Fanning's normal schtick per se.

Professor Calculus
486 posts
Wed Jun-15-05 07:34 PM

52. "What's popular consensus on Orlando Bloom?"
In response to Reply # 0

If he leaves the 17th century or Middle Earth for a second . . . yeah he's pretty, but his face has the look that could be made a little more menacing than average Tiger Beat mainstay. No?

Mynoriti
Charter member
38828 posts
Wed Jun-15-05 08:09 PM

53. "RE: Bloom"
In response to Reply # 52

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=48781&mesg_id=48781&listing_type=search#48829

kurlyswirl
16693 posts
Wed Jun-15-05 08:12 PM

54. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 53

One of the funniest lines in ptp/Reviews history right there.

>http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=48781&mesg_id=48781&listing_type=search#48829

Professor Calculus
486 posts
Wed Jun-15-05 08:34 PM

55. "I go away for a couple months and miss history?"
In response to Reply # 54

>One of the funniest lines in ptp/Reviews history right there.
>
>
>>http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=48781&mesg_id=48781&listing_type=search#48829

But uh, you two, whose lust is quite strong with Cary Grant (that's your Indian name), have left the question unanswered.

It remains a good point though. Often times Bloom is portraying these ancient characters who have attributes of chivalry and a notion of the strength of character in men. Is the fact that all of these roles are found in 17th century England or 19th Century America (westerns not by him but by others), mean that such men died out in today's society? (Thinly-veiled attempt to put the focus back on my post, I know . . .)

Mynoriti
Charter member
38828 posts
Thu Jun-16-05 01:13 PM

57. "come on, you've come out of retirement enough times to know..."
In response to Reply # 55

that you never really miss anything around here.

okp = groundhog day

>But uh, you two, whose lust is quite strong with Cary Grant
>(that's your Indian name), have left the question unanswered.

I don't really have an opinion on Orlando Bloom. I'm not a big LOTR fan though.

Professor Calculus
486 posts
Thu Jun-16-05 11:48 AM

56. "Supplemental reading: The Rise and Fall of the Tough Guy."
In response to Reply # 0

(nice little summary)

http://mensnewsdaily.com/archive/h/h-misc/hernan092503.htm

by Steve Hernan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beginning (1930 – 1950) – The “Quintessential” Era

In the beginning, God created the Tough Guy. He gave him names like James Cagney, Humphrey Bogart, Clark Gable, Gary Cooper, and Edward G. Robinson. He gave him character traits like a quiet strength and a rough-edged masculinity. The Tough Guy was an explorer, an achiever, a provider, and a protector. God dressed him well and made him competitive and ambitious. God gave him the entire world along with a brilliant torch to light his way. When the Tough Guy became too ambitious for all the wrong reasons, God made another Tough Guy to protect us from the first. Good and evil were absolute. Good always triumphed. Order always prevailed.

Rise (1950 – 1980) – The “Classical” Era

The Tough Guy grew strong and flourished. Like so many other men of his time, his carbon soul had been pressurized into a diamond character by World War II. He was hard, sharp, and resolute. He knew right from wrong. He was decent. He was good. He was John Wayne, Robert Mitchum, William Holden, Yul Brenner, and Lee Marvin. War heroes, field marshals, frontier lawmen. Men on the front line of an uncivilized world. Men who did their job no matter how hard the work or how unpleasant the task.

Over time, he became polished and refined. But he never lost his diamond hard inner strength. He could still ferret out and fend off the bad guys, but his battlefield was no longer the distant shores of some savage nation. He instead brought his moral fiber and his impeccable sense of justice into the very heart of civilized society. He was the unshakable moral icon of Gregory Peck’s “Atticus Finch” (To Kill a Mockingbird). He was the calm but fiercely resolute father of Jimmy Stewart’s “Ben McKenna” (The Man Who Knew Too Much). He was ubiquitous – you would find him in the least likely places. You could see him in the reluctant heroes of Dean Martin’s “Dude” (Rio Bravo) and Frank Sinatra’s “Bennett Marco” (The Manchurian Candidate). You could even see him in Cary Grant’s urbane-with-an-edge “Devlin” (Notorious). Hitch could make a tough guy out of anyone.

The Tough Guys of this era groomed a second generation of young men to take their place. They were called Steve McQueen, Charles Bronson, Charlton Heston, James Coburn, Paul Newman, Clint Eastwood, Gene Hackman, Sean Connery, and Sidney Poitier. They were strong, capable, cool, and brave. They were often shockingly ordinary men who shined brilliantly under extraordinary circumstances. They neither shirked their duties nor wavered under pressure. The torch was passed to this new generation of Tough Guys. They bore it proudly and unapologetically. And they ran with it.

Stagnation (c. 1980 – 2000) – The “Maniacal” Era

The rise of political correctness ushered in a growing contempt for all things Tough Guy. Classical Tough Guys became objects of ridicule, even scorn. They were too “patriarchal” and “chauvinistic.” They were deemed “old fashioned,” “uptight,” and “emotionally unavailable.” “Strong and silent” was unhealthy – if not suspect. This was the era where “enlightened” men were supposed to share their feelings with total strangers and express their doubts, insecurities, and passions with everyone around them. Patience and self-control were out. Instant gratification was in. And the Tough Guy torch became less of an heirloom and more of a novelty.

In response, Hollywood gave us Sylvester Stallone, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Mel Gibson, Kurt Russell, Bruce Willis, Jean Claude Van Damme, Steven Segal, Russell Crowe, Will Smith, and Wesley Snipes. These Tough Guys weren’t afraid to show their feelings or express their passions. In fact, they were encouraged to do so by a public that craved graphic violence and sexual titillation.

It soon became comical. Tough Guys became either “loose cannons” such as Mel Gibson’s “Martin Riggs” (Lethal Weapon) or “beefcakes” like Sylvester Stallone’s “John Rambo” (First Blood et al). The common thread? All were crazed, vindictive, violent, and often quasi-suicidal rebels entirely bereft of rationality, intellect, or self-control. Masculinity was defined by who could act the craziest, drive the fastest, bed down the prettiest, and generally kill and/or maim the most opponents – be they good guys or bad. It was a glorification of every bad male trait, and a complete nullification of every good one. In short, it was an insult to every decent man in America.

John and Jane Q. Public ate it up. The sequels flourished…

Decline (2000 – present) – The “Metrosexual” Era

The torch has been dropped, if not entirely abandoned. The Tough Guy has all but vanished, and there is no one to take his place. There are still a few holdouts from prior generations, but their ranks are rapidly diminishing. Clint Eastwood and Sean Connery are still fairly active. Robert DeNiro can still hold his own fairly well. But aging veteran actors like Al Pacino and Jack Nicholson have been forced to take on diminished roles while being paired off with limelight darlings like Colin Farrell or Adam Sandler. What a let down that must be.

Let’s not delude ourselves. The Tough Guy era is over. Need proof? Just look at the lead male characters in today’s movies. Most of them are either overly “feminized” or incurably oafish. These include the likes of Leonardo DiCaprio, Toby McGuire, David Spade, Adam Sandler, Jack Black, and Cuba Gooding, Jr. And the fellows who are starring in all the action movies? Colin Farrell? Ben Affleck? Tom Cruise? Matt Damon? George Clooney? Brad Pitt? Mark Wahlberg? Johnny Depp? Keanu Reeves? Not much of a line-up. Can you imagine any of these pretty boys going mano-a-mano with Steve McQueen or James Cagney?

Bottom line: Tough Guys are out. Their empire has fallen and the last ones are dying off. We now live in the Age of Wimps. And it’s a damn shame, too.

Charlie Bronson must be spinning in his grave.

Wordman
Member since Apr 11th 2003
11224 posts
Mon Jun-20-05 12:40 PM

59. "all the ugly male actors went to television"
In response to Reply # 0

See CBS.

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams

Slim Ass Rivets
Member since Apr 06th 2005
843 posts
Tue Jun-21-05 11:20 AM

60. "Denzel Washington & Harrison Ford fit the bill"
In response to Reply # 0

I could see both of them firtting seemlessly into Casablanca. They are charismatic, ruggedlt handsome, and extraordinary actors. The only distinguishable trait between their vehicles and the star vehicles of Bogie & Holen and the like is that nowadays characters MUST BE flawed. Noone believes a perfect hero.

I think Ford has been a swashbuckling romantic lead in both the Star Wars and Raiders series. He has played the smoldering tough detective in Blade Runner and Witness. He's the affable good guy you like to root for in Working Girl, Sabrina, Mosquito Coast (kinda), and Regarding Henry. And he has niched himself into the "at first easy going but REALLY the wrong guy to fuck with" in his wonderfully crafted roles in: Frantic, Patriot Games, Air Force One, and The Fugitive.

And speaking of smoldering: Denzel Washington has been, if not the first then easily in the top 3, most watchable actors of the past 15 years. A better all-around actor than Ford, he has all of Ford's capabilities an dthen some. He could out-bogie Bogie and still pull off an effective and convincing Shakespeare. His performances in movies like: Devil in Blue Dress, Mo Betta Blues, Man On Fire, and the under-appreciated Fallen harken back to a much gruffer and tuffer leading man era. He improved on and perfected that role in his two Oscar winning performances, Training Day and Glory, both roles in which his character had the weight of the world on him and he didn't bat an eye. Through films like Philadelphia, The Pelican Brief, Soldier's Story, and Remember The Titans (and to a much lesser extent: Training Day and the CRIMINALLY overlooked Mississippi Masala) he used his bright star power to illuminte and step back from someone else's shine, all while still being the charismatic and again WATCHABLE dominating male presence. All of this without mentioning what he can do to set himself apart from all the greats: becoma someone else so efefctively. Only in the ranks of Bob D. have I seen such atrademarked presence disappear into someone else, a known historical figure, and do it with seemingly effortless ease. Hurricane, Antwone Fisher, and the end-all-be-all that was his Malcolm X are comprised of the stuff that folks 50 years from now will lament as missing from that generations actors.

Someone more articulate than I could probably beter present this rgument but I thought about this topic at length and based it off this: My dad's favoprties to watch were Lee Marvin, John Cassavetes, and Steve McQueen. He would always say: Oh those guys are so cool. So i tried to think of who do I always look upon like that? Who is so effortlessly male yet still able to surprise you effectively? Hrrison Ford & Denzel Washington.

Professor Calculus
486 posts
Fri Aug-05-05 12:27 PM

61. "^^up^^"
In response to Reply # 0

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Fri Aug-05-05 12:59 PM

62. "RE: Eric Bana"
In response to Reply # 0

Professor Calculus
486 posts
Sun Aug-07-05 11:24 AM

63. "I've been meaning to see Chopper but still haven't."
In response to Reply # 62

Otherwise I don't think I've watched a single movie dude's been in, but it seems that from an outsider's perspective he could be a worthy candidate.

Frank Longo
86675 posts
Sun Aug-07-05 11:40 AM

64. "He was one of the best parts of Troy."
In response to Reply # 63

I can't wait to see his career continue to progress.

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Mon Aug-08-05 04:34 PM

65. "RE: He's by far the best parts of"
In response to Reply # 64

everything I've seen him in. He's great in Hulk & Black Hawk Down as well as the other 2 movies alredy mentioned.

JungleSouljah
Member since Sep 24th 2002
14987 posts
Mon Jan-23-06 09:47 PM

69. "We can add Munich to this list also"
In response to Reply # 65

He seems to be one of the best aspects of many of the movies he's in.

The 4th Annual Residency Encampment: Where do we go from here?

All you see is crime in the source code.

johnny_domino
Charter member
17027 posts
Mon Jan-23-06 11:00 PM

71. "he was about the only good part of Troy"
In response to Reply # 69

though there were a lot of semi-decent parts.

Best part of Munich too.

Haven't seen Hulk, and Chopper wasn't all that great, though his performance was pretty good, he's better in Troy and Munich.

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Thu Jan-26-06 05:10 PM

75. "Yeah Chopper kinda sucked"
In response to Reply # 71

I keep trying 2 give it a few repeated viewings but I can never get thru the whole thing.

The Alchemist
Member since Jul 20th 2005
124 posts
Mon Aug-08-05 05:13 PM

66. "The Rock"
In response to Reply # 0

this man is too entertaining, too intelligent to flop... he'll figure it out and he'll be the shit... for the meantime, let's give him a pass for the Rundown and Walking Tall

Laughter gives us distance. It allows us to step back from an event, deal with it and then move on.

-- Bob Newhart

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Mon Aug-08-05 05:55 PM

67. "RE: The Rock"
In response to Reply # 66

>this man is too entertaining, too intelligent to flop...
>he'll figure it out and he'll be the shit... for the meantime,
>let's give him a pass for the Rundown and Walking Tall

And Doom?

ricky_BUTLER
Member since Jul 06th 2003
16899 posts
Mon Jan-23-06 03:46 PM

68. "reup."
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #30246 Previous topic | Next topic