Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #17390

Subject: "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Hot_Damali
Charter member
8959 posts
Fri Nov-16-01 06:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone"

Right off the bat, I'll admit that I'm biased towards this film...i've read three of the four books in the series and i'm absolutely hooked on them. The storytelling is imaginative, original and engaging...not just for children but for adults too. Its quite a feat for an author to accomplish that in this day and age.

So of course i've been dying to see the film...see if the images i had in my head matched with the filmmaker's...and i have to say i was not disappointed. The script was well written, even tho alot had to be left out for times sake...but the images were dead on to the story..i think i only saw maybe 2 minor things that didn't match exactly, but they were incidental to the story.

In short i was wide-eyed with a goofy grin throughout the film..even tho i had to take time to scold these two boys who were listening to a walkman (a walkman!!!) during the film...i was SO heated that they were ruining the moments i had been waiting for...

but um yeah...go see it...if you haven't read the books i think you'll still enjoy it.

damali

You think you know, but you have no i-dea...

Underground Railroad w/Jay Smooth
Sat 12-2am WBAI 99.5FM in NY
Pierce Your Ears.

9/11/01 The day the whole world changed...i will never forget...

If the politicians had to fight, there would be no war.

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
as a person who never read the books..
Nov 16th 2001
daaaamn...go back!!!..
Nov 16th 2001
      okay I saw it
Nov 17th 2001
i concur
Nov 16th 2001
RE: i concur
Nov 16th 2001
      yeah
Nov 17th 2001
           RE: yeah
Nov 17th 2001
loved it..
Nov 17th 2001
Quidditch
Nov 18th 2001
RE: Quidditch
Nov 19th 2001
record $93.5 million
Nov 18th 2001
RE: Harry Potter...my 2cents
Nov 18th 2001
Enjoyed it
Primal
Nov 18th 2001
RE: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Nov 19th 2001
at 2 and a half hours long
Nov 19th 2001
Crappy Potter...
Nov 19th 2001
Very Good Movie.
Nov 19th 2001
B-
jessewa
Nov 19th 2001
Nov 21st 2001
Nov 27th 2001
Cosign
Dec 09th 2001
y'all can hate me,
Dec 09th 2001
RE: y'all can hate me,
Dec 09th 2001
      better idea
Dec 09th 2001
           bla bla bla
Dec 09th 2001
                wtf is your problem?
Dec 10th 2001
                     RE: wtf is your problem?
Dec 10th 2001
                          you can be first in line
Dec 11th 2001
Potter Nutter Here!
Dec 09th 2001
nerd!
Dec 10th 2001
Ahem...
Dec 10th 2001

Shaggy
Charter member
5587 posts
Fri Nov-16-01 07:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "as a person who never read the books.."
In response to Reply # 0

I must say the movie sucked..no I didnt see it....during the previews the sound fucked up and they ended up cancelling the movie and since the other shows were sold out told us to come back tomorrow...all this for a movie I didnt even want to see but since you said it is worth it I will go back tomorrow and check it out

Black Comic on TV: you ever notice black guys drive like this and white guys are all do do dee do

Homer Simpson: Haha its funny because its true, we are so lame

Hot_Damali
Charter member
8959 posts
Fri Nov-16-01 08:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "daaaamn...go back!!!.."
In response to Reply # 1

Pierce Your Ears.

Shaggy
Charter member
5587 posts
Sat Nov-17-01 05:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "okay I saw it"
In response to Reply # 2

its was alright....its a movie I wouldnt go see again but still not a bad movie...I just am not into Harry Potter so that is why I didnt really think the movie was great I guess...its was too long at times to me and the ending with evil wizard was a little simple

Black Comic on TV: you ever notice black guys drive like this and white guys are all do do dee do

Homer Simpson: Haha its funny because its true, we are so lame

kobe085
Charter member
2377 posts
Fri Nov-16-01 08:24 PM

3. "i concur"
In response to Reply # 0

my girl got me started reading the books while she was reading them for a AP english class (the teacher was retiring and losing his edge). read all four books in four days, just couldn't put the damn things down.

after travelling to two different cinemas with no car we finally got tickets.
then standing in line, and pushing kids out of the way like the rude college kids that we are we got into the theater. in our seats, we scoot down to make room for a nice old couple and their grandkids. come to find out the seats we moved out of were the ones with the poster giveaway thing. lost out on the "door prize" to some damn kid, and my apartment needs some decorating too.

but all in all it was an amazing movie. somewhat grainier than i expected which i found odd, but somehow helped the story. the only parts of the movie that bothered me (as damali mentioned) were the parts they left out, but they needed to since the movie is already 153 minutes long.

for all y'all who haven't read the books READ THEM, they go by quick, and are very captivating. and for the lazy out there, just go to the movie, it's a great story regardless of your age. cheers.

I have a lot of moves on each block, and I know how to position and contort myself. Of course, because of my size and strength and this big ass that I possess, I know how to, you know, wiggle my way into certain positions."
-- Los Angeles Lakers C Shaquille O'Neal on his inside dominance

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Fri Nov-16-01 09:18 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "RE: i concur"
In response to Reply # 3

i've read all the books, love them and am eagerly awaiting next once. obviously i'm biased towards the film.
i really enjoyed it. it wasn't great, there were some things that bothered me about it (too long, the kid actors were OK ((except the little chick who played Hermione)), and the ending sucked), but overall i give it a big thumbs up.
bignick

www.comedy.com/nickadams

"Oswald was a fag."
McManus

Flagrant Foul

b. If contact committed against a
player, with or without the ball, is
interpreted to be unnecessary and
excessive, a flagrant foul - penalty (2)
will be assessed. A personal foul is
charged to the offender and a team
foul is charged to the team.
PENALTY: (1) Two free throws shall
be attempted and the ball awarded to
the offended team on either side of
the court at the free throw line
extended.

-From The Official NBA Rules

Hot_Damali
Charter member
8959 posts
Sat Nov-17-01 04:37 AM

5. "yeah"
In response to Reply # 4

the kid actors were questionable...very Nickelodeon-ish...but granted this was the first film for many of them. I also felt the boy that played Harry just didn't have quite enough edge and his outraged/angry reactions were often very late and unbelieveable. But i'm hoping that they will be better in the next film.

I'm more impressed with the director and cinematograper than anything else...it was visually perfect...from the way the Hogwarts Castle was depicted, the photographs that moved, Diagon Alley, the vault at Gringotts...it was all DEAD ON. Amazing.

d

Pierce Your Ears.

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Sat Nov-17-01 03:03 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "RE: yeah"
In response to Reply # 5

well to me Daniel Radcliff was the worst of the kids, and this was not his first movie. he did David Copperfield on BBC and he was in The Tailor of Panama.
that little mf'er was hilarious on Letterman though.
bignick

www.comedy.com/nickadams

"Oswald was a fag."
McManus

Flagrant Foul

extended.

donwill
Charter member
63558 posts
Sat Nov-17-01 05:19 PM

7. "loved it.."
In response to Reply # 0

that shit was hot...

the quiddich scene....

"you are an insensitive asshole"

stop

www.donwill.substack.com

Nettrice
Charter member
61747 posts
Sun Nov-18-01 07:44 AM

9. "Quidditch"
In response to Reply # 0

The game looked exactly liked I imagined it. I'm so into this fantasy game and would love to play it.

A detail most missed: I took my "little sister", a 9 year old Black girl I mentor, to see the movie. It was out first outing. She remembered the first 4 chapters, line for line, and sat in the theater scrutinizing the film. Her issue was seeing if there were Black kids at Hogwarts and we could easily point them out. The look of approval and happiness on her face made the movie worthwhile.

While I agree with some of the critics that the magic is not magical enough I enjoyed the film.

"Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own"
--Paulo Coelho, "The Alchemist"

"Know thyself"

"Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, "I will never leave you or forsake you". So we may boldly say, "The Lord is my helper, I will not fear. What can man do to me?"
-- Hebrews 13:5,6

"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path"
--Morpheus in "The Matrix" (and a Buddhist philosophy)

"It's our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities"- Dumbledore to Harry Potter "Chamber of Secrets"

<--- Blame this lady for Nutty.

noahbird
Member since Jul 12th 2002
355 posts
Mon Nov-19-01 09:00 AM

15. "RE: Quidditch"
In response to Reply # 9

I noticed that as well, made me smile too (and I'm 28).

House Music Producer: Hit me up if you want to collaborate, always looking for vocalists:

https://soundcloud.com/cetch

REDeye
Charter member
6598 posts
Sun Nov-18-01 10:06 AM

10. "record $93.5 million"
In response to Reply # 0

est. three-day take.

The previous record: Lost World: Jurassic Park, $72 million.

I called it (but not here).

RED
"Oooh! A fresh batch of America Balls!" © Homer

RED
http://arrena.blogspot.com

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3438 posts
Sun Nov-18-01 11:39 AM

11. "RE: Harry Potter...my 2cents"
In response to Reply # 0

I've never read a line of any of the books...neither have my kids (7 & 10). We went 'cuz they had a day off from school and, hey everyone was talking about it so why not...

We loved it. WE loved it. That means ME too.

No disrespect intended towards anyone, but I really think that sometimes some folks forget that the whole point of certain movies is to entertin you...just sweep you away for a while. Sometimes some folks get all wrapped up in the 'well THE BOOK did it this way" or "In THE BOOK this happened THAT way..."...don't get me wrong, books are good, books are good...but damn a book is a book...and a movie is a movie...
Sometimes people get all caught up in their 'critical view' and forget to LET themselves enjoy themselves.

My criteria for whether a movie was worth my money.
Were we engaged throughout?
Did I care about the characters?
Did I feel something, be it happines, sadness, fear, excitement..did I feel SOMETHING?
At the end when walking out of the theater do I feel like embarrasing my kids by acting like I'm one of the characters in the film?

The answer for Harry P was...YES. Yes to al of the above. So suspend your critical eyes & ears and go enjoy yourselves for cryin out loud!

(By the way, seeing the film made my kids WANT to go right out and get the book...so seeee...movies are good TOO!)

�
have you listened to
her stuff?
v

http://www.meshell.com/site/
https://www.facebook.com/officialmeshell?fref=ts
http://www.freemyheart.com

RIP David Williams:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Williams_(guitarist)

Primal

Sun Nov-18-01 02:18 PM

12. "Enjoyed it"
In response to Reply # 0

Took my baby sis for her b-day today and she's never read the books. I thought they did a good job capturing the book, even though they left out certain things. The director and cinematographer captured elements of the story beautifully and brought Hogwarts to life.
Child actors were cool and I think Hermione and Ron were better that harry, but hopefully he'll get better.
All in all it was entertaining..

My soul is kinda gritty/Do I lie or run away-Res

How you want it? Raw & Uncut; or rather me bullshit you-Me

Maheve_Gazali
Charter member
229 posts
Mon Nov-19-01 06:25 AM

13. "RE: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm a Harry Potter junkie, reade all the books twice, so you know I had to see the movie. I liked it alot, but being the junkie that I am I noticed all the parts that they left out. There were a lot actually, but the part that pissed me off was they left out the potions scene @ the end w/hermine & the centur scene should have been longer.I counted like 8 things they left out of the movie.They can't put everything in the movie though. All in all I thought it was a really good movie, and I think the other one's will get progressivley better. They started productionson 'The Chamber of Secrets' today.

~....and if beauty blooms inside of me, what can you see?~ By Maheve Gazali

~ "Only bad witches are ugly!" ~Glenda The Good Witch

"Baby I'm a Star
You might not know it now
Baby but I R
I'm a...Star
I don't want to stop
'Till I reach the top"

~~~Prince~~~~

Hot_Damali
Charter member
8959 posts
Mon Nov-19-01 06:48 AM

14. "at 2 and a half hours long"
In response to Reply # 13

i'm glad stuff was left out

Pierce Your Ears.

OmEv
Charter member
133 posts
Mon Nov-19-01 10:07 AM

16. "Crappy Potter..."
In response to Reply # 0

o yea.. this movie... i wouldn't say that it is as bad as Tomb Raider but they flowed just about the same.
IMO, the everything in the movie seemed to just happen! No transition between the events and the scenes at all.
The kid actors were just a lil above B-movie/video game quality.
Maybe i should have read the book first like planned, and would have enjoyed it alot if i did, but basic movie storytelling elements are seriously missing...

---------------------------------------
"i ain't no lyrical ATM, thou i'm NYCE and i'm a MAC..." - Talib Kweli

"i've read almost every single Playboy issue since the time I was 15, and not once do I remember any Playmate listing having sex with a 75 year old as one of her turn-ons..." - Jimmy Kimmel on Hugh M. Hefner

"I normally don't do interviews with women unless I fornicate with them. So you shouldn't talk anymore ... Unless you want to, you know." - Mike Tyson

Salute that man!

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Mon Nov-19-01 11:03 AM

17. "Very Good Movie."
In response to Reply # 0

not great. but very, very good.

i loveded it. like damali, i'm biased by being a fan of the four books, but i loved it. same goofy grin throughout the whole piece. i can't tell how it will be received by folks who didn't read/love the book, but it should do very well w/ kids: my daughter (9 yrs, read all four books) loved it and
my oldest son (7 years old, didn't read the books and didn't want to come) thought it was the bomb. he's still talking about it. part of the appeal, for me, was the vicarious thing. i spent almost as much time looking at my kids reactions as i did looking at the screen. way back in the day i would have absolute loved it if i could have gone out and seen, say, Lord Of the Rings after reading it, and i thought it was mad cool that my kis have the opportunity.

i thought the movie was off the hook. very good translation to the big screen. best thing about the flick visually was Hagrid. his
character was dead on, both in terms of appearance and acting. "i shouldn't have said that".

the ending WAS a bit flat/anti-climatic for me. they could have made the final battle more dramatic, to me the scenes with them going through the traps were scarier/more intense. i also caught that they left out the potions scene, as well as the explanation of why there were the elaborate traps -- that each professor contributed their own specialty charm. still, this was a solid adaptation of the book.

i look at it like the x-men movie. you know its the first of a franchise. you have a very detailed world to bring to the screen with an
audience of people who are very invested in this fantasy world and who know all type of minutiae about it. how do you do that
without dissapointing while still satisfying the non-believers?

basically you stay as faithful to the characters/books as possible, with a fairly literal translation of the book to the silver screen.
then build on that to be bigger/better with the next joint.

i tried to look w/ critics eyes at some points, to see what i'd think of it had i not read the book, but i couldn't keep it up for long. i was too spellbound by the castle and all the other visual elements of the film that blended perfectly with my mental pictures from the book. the director did a pretty good job handling the exposition, like when he had Wood explain the rules of Quidditch to Harry (ie, the crowd).

peace & blessings,

x.

January is Kool Keith quote month, for lack of anything else:

"I never hearda you stupid, what's your name man??"

"Rappers don't know, I'm out the hospital/
cold buggin' and illin' like Dr. Doolittle"

"I'll chew your ass like monkeys on Wild Kingdom"

"you call yourself GOD, can you make it rain?/
can you tell me now what I'm thinkin' in my brain?"

"under your arms, you're kickin power and musty"

"word to mom, I'm in my own world.../
galaxy raaaaaays... powerful"

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
I'm an advocate for working smarter, not harder. If you just
focus on working hard you end up making someone else rich and
not having much to show for it. (c) mad

jessewa

Mon Nov-19-01 07:32 PM

18. "B-"
In response to Reply # 0

I have never read the books before, so had no idea what to expect. Contrary to most opinions i have read, i thought the kid actor for Harry was on point. His quiet demeanor and simple wit was great. Hermione was adorable, and Ron was on the money, his facial expressions were wacky. I actually jumped out of my scene several times. I am used to reading Robert Jordan and Terry Goodkind fantasy novels, and if you know them, then Harry Potter is quite a change. Can you imagine Wizards First Rule on video!? But all in all, it was worth it.

Hot_Damali
Charter member
8959 posts
Wed Nov-21-01 08:48 AM

19. "RE: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone"
In response to Reply # 0

Pierce Your Ears.

Hot_Damali
Charter member
8959 posts
Tue Nov-27-01 09:08 AM

20. "RE: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone"
In response to Reply # 0

Pierce Your Ears.

Pandemonium Records New York
Jan 2002 you've been warned.

"..it is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule." - J.R.R. Tolkien, 'The Return of The King'

truasana
Charter member
467 posts
Sun Dec-09-01 12:50 PM

21. "Cosign"
In response to Reply # 0

I just started reading em and I only had the first one. It was an awesome read. Nothing life changing, but just a good healthy enjoyable story that I reccomend anybody read. The movie was awesome too. Chicky check it. It's mos def a childrens movie, but it's a great childrens movie. Peace

REDeye
Charter member
6598 posts
Sun Dec-09-01 02:59 PM

22. "y'all can hate me,"
In response to Reply # 0

or think I'm hating.

But that movie bored me to tears.

I could see how kids would like it. It's a nice kids movie.

But the story is bland, predictable (even in its "surprises"), and uninspiring. But without trying to argue that (because a lot of it - but not all - is subjective), I'd say that the story itself is not why the movie is bad.

The direction is pedestrian at best. Chris Columbus killed this movie with a mish-mash of trite, overused camera angles and tricks. He and the writer fall back on too many storytelling clichés. But it's worse than that. The whole thing, from the first frame, looks muddy. Bad lighting all around.

And in this day and age, when you can pull off a scene like the quidditch scene or having interesting stuff like the living paintings, why have low-tech ghosts coming out of the table? Why not at least take the time to line up the sight lines so that it at least LOOKS like the people are looking at the ghosts, instead of over their heads or off to the side. Sloppy.

A friend of mine pointed out that the movie is hampered by an over-abundance of exposition; they spend so much time explaining stuff to you that they don't have time for much of a story. I'd say, while that is problematic, it could be fine if they found clever, interesting ways to explain stuff to you. I mean, come on, ghosts flying in to tell you what just happened in the last scene? Wow that's bad.

The quidditch scene was easily the best part of the movie. But even that went along predictably.

I never had any interest in reading any of the Harry Potter books, though I understand why they are popular. If the movie is as faithful to the source as people tell it is, I'm sure the books provide imaginative, though not challenging, entertainment. But it's children's material.

Before the movie, they showed a new trailer for Fellowship of the Rings. All in the news this week, there's been reports about how Tolkien wouldn't have cared for the movie. I don't care. If this movie is half as faithful to the source as the Potter movie is to its source, it will provide a wondrous movie-going experience far beyond that of Harry Potter.

Why?

Better source material, certainly. But more than that.

Much, much better director.

Regardless of how much money either eventually makes, Fellowship will be a much better movie. It won't even be close.

RED

RED

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Sun Dec-09-01 04:13 PM

23. "RE: y'all can hate me,"
In response to Reply # 22

i have an idea. why don't you actually wait until you've seen the movie?
bignick

www.comedy.com/nickadams

"Oswald was a fag."
McManus

Flagrant Foul

extended.

REDeye
Charter member
6598 posts
Sun Dec-09-01 07:10 PM

24. "better idea"
In response to Reply # 23

learn how to study movies.

I saw Harry Potter. It bored me to tears.

Maybe it's because I've been in and around this movie business for a minute, but I can tell fairly accurately which movies I will like and which I won't just from the materials available to the public before the film's release. Rarely, if ever, do I change my mind about it after I see it. If I think I'll like it, I end up liking it. If I think it will suck, after seeing it I think it sucks.

Remember, we're talking opinion. The more educated the opinion, the better. But it's a subjective opinion.

Still, don't get frustrated with me because I can, before seeing the actual film, form a qualified, educated opinion, i.e. one that will hold up and remain consistant after viewing. I can do this by watching trailers, reading production notes, reading news reports, examining the resumes of the people involved, examing the previous work of involved parties and weighing its relevance to the current project, listening to rumor reports and weighing the sources, and on and on. If there's a movie that doesn't have a lot of material available beforehand, it's more difficult to form an opinion on it without seeing it. But even then, from watching a trailer, or reading something from a critic or other source I trust, I can get a gut feeling on it. And with movies like these two, there is an overabundance of information available from which to form an opinion. And form an opinion I do.

If you can't do that -- or are unwilling to do that because you don't think it's fair to the movie or some such thing -- that's fine for you.

Or is it just the wording that bugs you? Would you prefer it if I simply said "I will like FOTR more than I Harry Potter," as opposed to saying on will suck and one will be better? Or am I not allowed to say that either? (Notice, I haven't said that FOTR will be great. I've only said will be better than Harry Potter. After actually seeing Harry Potter, IMO it wouldn't be difficult for FOTR to be better.)

Honestly, I haven't come across anyone I know - in real life or through the internet, regular fans or critics or whatever level, love the Harry Potter movie or hate it - who doesn't think FOTR will be better. Maybe there are a couple out there. But I'm certain they are in the minority. So why do you have a problem with me saying it?

Do me a favor. If you see FOTR, will please let me know whether or not you thought it was better than Harry Potter? Even if you liked Harry Potter, which I'm guessing you did.

RED

RED

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Sun Dec-09-01 11:35 PM

26. "bla bla bla"
In response to Reply # 24

we all have a good idea of what movies were going to like based on the trailer. you're nothing special. you can cover it up with what ever psuedo-intellectual babble you want to. the bottom line is that you don't know if the movie is going to be good or not until you actually see the movie.
how many millions of people were hyped up after seeing the Phantom Menace trailer, only to be let down after seeing the actaul film?
after the Sixth Sense everyone thought M. Night Shyamalan was a genius and everyone was excited about Unbreakable. Bruce Wills? Sam Jackson? can't miss right? wrong. sucked big time.
but if you've learned something that Siskel and Ebert and Leaonard Maltin and Harry Knowles never figured out and can tell with absolute certainty that Lord of the Rings is gonna be great...go right on out on that limb.
bignick

www.comedy.com/nickadams

"Oswald was a fag."
McManus

Flagrant Foul

extended.

REDeye
Charter member
6598 posts
Mon Dec-10-01 08:13 AM

28. "wtf is your problem?"
In response to Reply # 26

Why do you have a problem with me going out on a limb? And why is it that you think that was pseudo-intellectual babble? It was plain english.

In case you missed it: I didn't say FOTR would be great. I said it would be better than Harry Potter. I thought beforehand that I wouldn't like Harry Potter. I was right. And now that I've seen Harry Potter, and thought it was crap, I think it would be next to impossible for FOTR to not be better.

And in case you missed this too: It's just my opinion. I think it will be better. Frankly, I do think it will be very good, but I'm not convinced it will be great. But I'm sure I will like it a lot. Now, if it comes out and you don't like it, that doesn't mean I was wrong.

I'm also trying to figure out why you think I'm saying I'm special. I know other people can do this. Plenty of people can form an opinion. Plenty do. My judgement is typically dead on FOR ME. I'm not telling you that you or anyone else will like it. But I was dead on right about my reaction to Harry Potter.

As far as other movies, go...

Yeah, lots of people were hyped up to see Phantom Menace. That's beside the point. Did you actually think it would be good? I didn't. Lots of people were concerned about it being bad even though they were excited to see it. I wasn't excited to see it.

Unbreakable? Jeez. If you thought it was going to be as good as Sixth Sense, you just weren't paying attention. But to illustrate where the opinion comes in, I loved Unbreakable. Thought it was a fantastic movie. Not as good as Sixth Sense. But I was not disappointed. Maybe because I went in with realistic expectations. Bruce Willis and Sam Jackson don't add up to a "can't miss" for me.

If you can't assess whether or not you will like a movie beforehand, that fine for you. I can. I do. And I'm not afraid to speak on it.

Please explain to me why you have a problem with me speaking on it.

Maybe if this was football, and I said I thought the Rams were going to beat the 49ers yesterday, you might not have thought me crazy for going out on a limb. Why is it that me predicting movies makes you uneasy?

RED

RED

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Mon Dec-10-01 09:18 PM

30. "RE: wtf is your problem?"
In response to Reply # 28

the problem i have is that you said it's going to be a much better movie. all i'm saying is let's just wait and actually see the film before we pass judgement.
bignick

www.comedy.com/nickadams

"Oswald was a fag."
McManus

Flagrant Foul

extended.

REDeye
Charter member
6598 posts
Tue Dec-11-01 09:45 AM

31. "you can be first in line"
In response to Reply # 30

to tell me I'm wrong.

RED

RED

KMack32
Charter member
308 posts
Sun Dec-09-01 10:58 PM

25. "Potter Nutter Here!"
In response to Reply # 0

I was sorta scared to post a review here. (I felt the "Damn you a nerd" flames commin'!) My Wife and I dug the ish outta this movie. Me and Tank (fellow brit...she's from Surry...home of Privet Drive)were discussing the flick yesterday. It's available at your local Kaaza outlet. (look for centropy)

I thought it was well made from the direction to the faithfull adaptation of the book. For the sake of time some things had to be omitted. I'm looking forward to further progress in the following movies.

GO SEE THIS MOVIE! (read the books also!)
Peace,
Keith Mack

UrbanCowgRRL
Charter member
8764 posts
Mon Dec-10-01 12:23 AM

27. "nerd!"
In response to Reply # 25

all these damn closet potter fans..ha!

The range of ages and types of people that get down with harry, always amazes me...

I was invited to the film, hadn't read the book yet, heard how amazing they are..i'm more into rereading the lord of the rings trilogy...but i'll give harry a chance...soon!

Much love,
Kyle

Need Posting help...Go here----->http://www.okayplayer.com/guidelines.html

Want that incredible deep post of yours or your friends archived, use the handy private message button or IM me: UrbanCowgirlll

much love,
Kyle

Detroit..Let's GO!!! May 12th Dilla Walk for Lupus...Belle Isle...

http://walk.lupusresearch.org/goto/blackeyedskeez

Even a Dollar can HELP..

http://www.myspace.com/jedikyle
http://www.detroitderbygirls.com/

Tank
Charter member
4903 posts
Mon Dec-10-01 08:52 AM

29. "Ahem..."
In response to Reply # 25

It's Surrey.

I have never read the books, (shame on me I know), but I did really enjoy the movie. I found the little girl, (I forget her name), a tad annoying in her over pronunciation of words, but I am wondering if she was attempting a southern accent and if that was why she spoke that way. But all in all in really enjoyed the movie. Robbie Coltrane was brilliant, as was Alan Rickman and so was the kid that played Senor Potter. I would definitely recommend it.

Peace,

Tank Searching For a Special Scar Green

http://www.tankgreen.com - My Cunt can type.

http://www.recordkingdom.com

---
"It's easy to blur the truth with a simple linguistic trick: start your story from "Secondly."" -- Mourid Barghouti

Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #17390 Previous topic | Next topic