Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #17014

Subject: "Top 10 Films of 2001" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
BSharp
Charter member
9243 posts
Thu Dec-27-01 11:41 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Top 10 Films of 2001"

So I haven't seen a lot of the films being thrown around on such lists; including (but not limited to) Ali, Beautiful Mind, Lord of the Rings, Vanilla Sky, Black Hawk Down, A.I., Ocean's Eleven...

Here is my top ten so far:

1 (tie) Amelie & Mulholland Drive
My two favorite films of the year for entirely different reasons. Amelie's charm and--dare I say it--feelgood nature are impossible to resist. Never before has the word 'cute' been more appropriate to describe a film. The film also represents a stylistic triumph that over-edited and over-produced films like "Snatch" and "Moulin Rouge" couldn't come close to...
As much as I loved "Amelie", I couldn't pick it over "Mulholland Drive". David Lynch's best film--which is saying a lot--produced slap after slap-in-the-face to the viewer who thought he knew where the film was going. Even after multiple viewings, nothing makes sense, which isn't a bad thing. With one unforgettable scene after another, and an incredible performance by Naomi Watts, I could watch it over and over again, trying to form new theories, and not get bored. The work of a master.

3. Memento
Like Mulholland Drive, Memento could fire up viewers into endless arguments and discussions into what really happened. Like Amelie, the film flexed its style muscles and actually succeeded. Multiple viewings were demanded--sign of a great film.

4. In the Bedroom
An extremely complex film, on an unusually realistic level. Stellar performances all around, and a remarkably mature film by a first time director...

5. Amores Perros
I think it was nominated for an Oscar last year, but who cares, I saw it this year. Perhaps a little too long, but another one of those accomplished pieces of work that somehow comes from a first time director.

6. Waking Life
7. tie Shrek & Monsters, Inc
Three animated films in a row! Waking Life gets the nod for its ambition, both in content and in animation.

9. Ghost World
10. The Royal Tennenbaums

Best Actor-- Guy Pearce (Memento)
Best Actress-- Naomi Watts (Mulholland Drive)
Best Supporting Actor-- Ben Kingsley (Sexy Beast) (sorry, I couldn't resist)
Best Supporting Actress-- Marisa Tomei (In the Bedroom)

Best Reissue-- Apocalypse Now Redux
Worst Film--Hannibal

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Top 10 Films of 2001
Dec 27th 2001
When I was compiling a list in my head,
Dec 27th 2001
LOL, same here
Dec 28th 2001
DoubleSOS
Jan 05th 2002
Dec 27th 2001
Dec 28th 2001
SupertoysLast
Dec 28th 2001
SupertoysLast
Dec 28th 2001
moulin rouge was crap
Dec 28th 2001
      tried watching it last night
Jan 03rd 2002
           RE: tried watching it last night
DoubleSOS
Jan 05th 2002
my flawed and arbitrary list
Dec 28th 2001
RE: Memento
Dec 28th 2001
RE: Add 1 2 the list
Jan 04th 2002
Dec 28th 2001
Lumumba
Jan 03rd 2002
Mister Anonymity's Top Five Films of 2001
Dec 28th 2001
Signs & Wonders
Dec 28th 2001
i love you bastards.
Dec 28th 2001
fats' top 5.
Dec 28th 2001
i'd rank sexy b higher
Dec 28th 2001
I'll probably boost...
Dec 28th 2001
      RE: I'll probably boost...
Dec 28th 2001
      this is my adopted daughter
Dec 28th 2001
      RE: I'll probably boost...
starchild73
Dec 28th 2001
i cant do a top ten list...
Dec 28th 2001
RE: i cant do a top ten list...
Jan 04th 2002
      true it did for some areas...
Jan 05th 2002
cheers...
starchild73
Dec 28th 2001
i'll do 5...
Jan 03rd 2002
Shrek is overrated
thrakkorzog
Jan 03rd 2002
what the fuck is you talking about?
Jan 05th 2002
Brass_Tacts
Jan 04th 2002
Hello? Anniversary Party?
Jan 05th 2002
dont forget Jennifer Beals...
Jan 05th 2002

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Thu Dec-27-01 07:20 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Top 10 Films of 2001"
In response to Reply # 0

I didn't see every film in 2001 but according to my archive I saw 63 different films this year. Not counting films I saw at festivals, which would add another 30 or so to the count.

I can't rank them in any kind of order, but the films that made the deepest impact on me (again, not counting films I saw at festivals) are:

Come and See. So what this film was made in 1985? I hadn't even heard of it before and it had the greatest impact on me of any film I have seen in years. The last time I felt this way about a film was after seeing Apocalypse Now in '79.

Donnie Darko. I don't know exactly why this film has been so important in my thinking yet. It may take a few months for me to figure this out. But I can't stop thinking about it and I saw it three times, which I simply don't do (last time I did that was '81 or '82).

Bully. This one I understand. I love this film for its performances. Larry Clark blows me away with what he gets out of his actors. I thought Kids was great, but the performances in Bully are far and away the more impressive.

Amores Perros.
Apocalypse Now Redux.

Amelie.
The Princess & the Warrior.
L.I.E.

I'll leave a couple of blanks now.

Let me say that I liked Memento very much, but I thought it was really released last year. If not, we'll add it to the list.

Also, I really loved Waking Life, but enfin the thoughts espoused were a bit sophomoric. It was mostly impressive in the respect that the thought process was so much higher than the usual film.

Lastly, Code Unknown. That was another one of these films that simply aren't very easy to watch, but especially as compared to Waking Life and other films that have been said to be outside the box (so to speak), Code Unknown is really much more challenging than even these sort of easy intellectual films. Waking Life validated our existentialist view on shit and Code Unknown really presented an unknown, cliff edge view of the world. I still don't know if I even liked it, but I'm still thinking about it.

Peace.

Interested in meditation? http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OkayDharma

May all beings be free from suffering.

May the merit of my meditation and any good acts I undertake be dedicated to the happiness and liberation of all beings.

~ ~ ~
All meetings end in separation
All acquisition ends in dispersion
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

Every hundred years, all new people

BSharp
Charter member
9243 posts
Thu Dec-27-01 09:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "When I was compiling a list in my head,"
In response to Reply # 1

I reminded myself to make sure to mention Bully.

Whoops.

Throw Bully in there somewhere...

As for L.I.E... Decent movie, but not worthy of any top ten list IMO. To each his own I suppose.

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Fri Dec-28-01 07:29 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "LOL, same here"
In response to Reply # 3

I'm kicking myself for leaving Sexy Beast out.

L.I.E. had a lot going for it, but as you say, it's a matter of opinion. I thought it presented a difficult topic in a very thoughtful way. As with Bully, I thought that the film gave us a character we really wanted to hate but then didn't allow us to get away with sweeping generalizations about him. I like that in a film a LOT.

Peace.

May the merit of my meditation and any good acts I undertake be dedicated to the happiness and liberation of all beings.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

DoubleSOS

Sat Jan-05-02 09:53 AM

32. "RE: Top 10 Films of 2001"
In response to Reply # 1

I live in Duval, so we don't get many of the more obscure films that I've wanted to see (In The Bedroom for example), but I'll compile my Top 10 List of what I've seen.

1. Lord of the Rings- perfection
2. The Royal Tenenbaums- not as good as Rushmore, but much funnier
3. Memento- mindboggling, amazing script
4. Monsters Inc.- who said Monsters Inc. bored them? you didn't get it, it was wonderful and on par with Toy Story
5. A Beautiful Mind- it gets schmaltzy at the very end, but Russell Crowe will probably win another Oscar
6. The Dish- little seen Aussie film which was GREAT
7. Moulin Rouge- naysayers be damned, I loved this
8. Shrek- incredibly funny, great animation
9. Bridget Jones's Diary- odd choice I know, but Renee Zellweger and Hugh Grant were incredibly funny
10. Ghost World- dragged a bit at times, but it was faithful to the graphic novel and the acting was exquisite

Should win-
Best Picture- Lord of the Rings (it's a mainstream choice, but I believe this movie will stand the test of time)
Best Director- either Peter Jackson (the direction MADE LOTR) or Baz Luhrmann (Moulin Rouge was beautiful even if you hated the movie)
Best Actor- either Guy Pearce, Memento (no chance), Gene Hackman, Royal Tenenbaums (little chance), Ewan McGregor, Moulin Rouge (good chance), or Russell Crowe, A Beautiful Mind (very good chance)
Best Actress- Nicole Kidman was good in Moulin Rouge, but I'd rather see Thora Birch win for Ghost World or (it's a longshot but I love her) Renee Zellweger for Bridget Jones
Best S. Actor- either Steve Buscemi for Ghost World or Jim Broadbent for Moulin Rouge, or come to think of it, any of the guys from the Royal Tenenbaums
Best S. Actress- I liked Jennifer Connelly in A Beautiful Mind, but I LOVED Scarlett Johannsen in Ghost World and Gwyneth in Royal Tenenbaums
Best Original Screenplay- Memento, hands down
Best Adapted Screenplay- either Lord of the Rings or Ghost World
Effects- Lord of the Rings

Ah, I'm spent. One love.

DoubleSOS

"Some cats ain't equipped to MC, but you can see I'm different G"- Mos Def

WaxLablTabler
Charter member
16329 posts
Thu Dec-27-01 07:25 PM

2. "RE: Top 10 Films of 2001"
In response to Reply # 0

Ghost World was good, as was Sexy Beast. i cant even remember all the movies i saw.... damn.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
brevity.

AIM: Guess91374486

Defense Lawyer: Objection, counsel is mocking the witness.

Jack: Yes I am.
(from Law & Order)

don't ask why i put that there.

be Good.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2n8vg29.png
(by a guy named Wes Whaley http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culturepicturegalleries/8779317/Light-paintings-by-Wes-Whaley.html )

zero
Charter member
8108 posts
Fri Dec-28-01 06:51 AM

4. "RE: Top 10 Films of 2001"
In response to Reply # 0

i havent seen enough movies to justify a top 10. there are plenty of films ive wanted to see, but lots of them just dont come around here, and if they do, i dont go. so, i havent seen ghost world, donnie darko, man who wasnt there, amelie, waking life, mulholland drive, etc. and the big movies, i dont really go see either. so i havent seen Lotr, Ali, or Beautiful Mind. still .. my top 3 is as follows

01 royal tenenbaums
02 amores perros
03 memento (though this one is arguable, due to time)

tenenbaums - going in, i knew i'd like it. rushmore is one of my favorite movies, and ive been wiating for tenenbaums forever, so this is sorta biased ..

perros - my cousin told me to go see it when i went to visit him in LA. needless to say, i was amazed at the product. originally, when he had told me about it, i wasnt expecting much, and going into the movie, i knew nothing about it. but afterwards, i was blown away by the quality of everything, from the music to the acting to the direction. however, like Magnolia, i felt it was too long, especially act 2 ..

memento - after sundance (i think), there was big buzz about it, and months later, i found it playing at our local UA. so me and my friend went and loved it. guy pearce did a good job, and the structure was indeed unique. it holds up after repeat viewings, but i dont have the urge to watch it again ..

. zero
. aim - monkeybarsj5
--
. yousonofabitch!
--
. http://www.mp3.com/wordy okp vivrant

SupertoysLast

Fri Dec-28-01 08:04 AM

6. "RE: Top 10 Films of 2001"
In response to Reply # 0

Here, IN ORDER, are my top 5 films of the year (10 is a bit of a stretch)...

Mulholland Drive
Moulin Rouge
The Royal Tenenbaums
Memento
A Beautiful Mind

SupertoysLast

Fri Dec-28-01 08:09 AM

7. "RE: Top 10 Films of 2001"
In response to Reply # 6

By the way...

Best Actor - Russell Crowe (A Beautiful Mind)
Best Actress - Naomi Watts (Mulholland Drive)
Best Supporting Actor - Jason Lee (Vanilla Sky)
Best Supporting Actress - Jennifer Connelly (A Beautiful Mind)
Best Score - Lord of the Rings (Howard Shore)
Best Director - David Lynch (Mulholland Drive)

HotSpittable
Charter member
456 posts
Fri Dec-28-01 10:07 AM

13. "moulin rouge was crap"
In response to Reply # 6

ugh that was the most awful pile of steaming cinematic garbage i have ever inflicted upon myself. what an indulgent pile of shit. it had roughly no redeeming features. i even thought the visuals and the cinematography were over-rated, nothing special. just glitzy, harsh, offensive crud.

and as if ewan mcgregor and nic kidman can sing.

the villain was the least convincing character i have ever seen in a major motion picture.

and i believe luhrman's main influence on the pacing of the film must have been Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music.

REDeye
Charter member
6598 posts
Thu Jan-03-02 07:15 AM

24. "tried watching it last night"
In response to Reply # 13

had to stop it after 90 mins. Maybe I'll finish it tonight.

Beautiful to look at.

Some of the most annoying idiotic crap ever to be captured on film.

But beautiful to look at.

RED
"Oooh! A fresh batch of America Balls!" © Homer

RED
http://arrena.blogspot.com

DoubleSOS

Sat Jan-05-02 09:30 AM

31. "RE: tried watching it last night"
In response to Reply # 24

Moulin Rouge is a movie where you either buy it or don't. You either think it's captivating or annoying. I personally find it captivating, and would put it in my Top 10 of the Year for its great acting and inspired directing. But I can see why some would find it annoying. One love.

DoubleSOS

"Some cats ain't equipped to MC, but you can see I'm different G"- Mos Def

REDeye
Charter member
6598 posts
Fri Dec-28-01 08:55 AM

8. "my flawed and arbitrary list"
In response to Reply # 0

since I haven't seen many of the movies popping up on lists all around, such as In the Bedroom, Fat Girl or L.I.E.

Thing is, usually, people have to whittle their list down to 10. This year, I feel people are stretching to add a couple just to reach 10. The strong movies, of course, are on pretty much all lists. From what I've seen, the top 5-7 are fairly consistent.

Well, here goes:

1) Memento. I knew when I saw it, I wouldn't see a better movie all year. Thoughtful, thrilling, smart, funny. And it resonates, staying with you long after you leave the theater.

2) Amelie. The only movie I've seen twice this year. It just makes me feel good from beginning to end. Truly the "feel-good movie of the year."

3) Royal Tenenbaums. This may be the second movie I see twice this year. Laugh out loud fun, with such an inventive and creative feel to it. As a filmmaker, I found this movie very inspiring, but not discouraging. Some movies you see and it makes you curse yourself for having the gall to use the title "filmmaker." The Royal Tenenbaums gives me hope for my career and for movies in general.

4) Sexy Beast. Most fun performances this year. Ben Kingsley is a shoe-in for Best Supporting Actor.

5) Amores Perros. I remember it was really good.

6) Waking Life. Gets on the list for inventiveness.

7) Ghost World.

8) Donnie Darko. Gets on the list for sheer boldness.

9) Lord of the Rings. Though I loved it, I'm sure at least a couple of those "really good movies" I missed this year could knock it down a peg. Maybe. As an adventure movie, it really doesn't get any better than this.

10) Frequently Asked Questions About Marriage. Not just because I made it. Though, of course, that has a lot to do with it.

There ya go. Completely flawed and arbitrary.

RED

RED

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Fri Dec-28-01 09:46 AM

10. "RE: Memento"
In response to Reply # 8

1) Memento. I knew when I
>saw it, I wouldn't see
>a better movie all year.
>Thoughtful, thrilling, smart, funny. And
>it resonates, staying with you
>long after you leave the theater.

Cosign and thats pretty much where my list ends. Although I do need 2 check Sexy Beast, Ghost World, Lord of the Rings and The Royal T's. The Score would be #2 on my list mainly becuz of the actors involved.

Screw you guys...I'm goin home -Cartman

The mother of civilization, wants 2 know my occupation, home location and means of transportation. The correct combination unlocks her placenta. Ive got a cellular phone w/ a rubba antenna, own a 3 story house, drive a 4 door Ac, favorite song of all time, Mobb Deeps hit it from the back...then jet. -Ras Kass

...she said, "Do you have a car? Is your shit up 2 par?" Damn! a nigga need a resume just sittin at tha bar! -Ras Kass

Cuz bitches are like flies(why)they attract 2 the best shit. -Ras Kass

Cowards make a little cheese, then enlarge artificially, like Pamela Anderson Lee's double D's, please! I'm bangin from Belize 2 Tel Aviv in tha Red Sea racin Saddam Hussien on Kawasaki jet skies. -Ras Kass

18 willin rednecks, sendin me death threats, cuz their niece fantasize about wet sex, when I'm in her headsets. -Opio from Souls of Mischief

Tryin 2 do all I can do in this car...her mom's Jaguar -A-plus from Souls of Mischief

You think you're able 2 label the Hiero sound? You still havent found a comparable variable -Del

You live on the edge? I live on the San Andreas. -Evidence

I AINT GOT TIME 4 NO JIBBA JABBA!!!-Mr.T

jigga
Charter member
31583 posts
Fri Jan-04-02 12:15 PM

28. "RE: Add 1 2 the list"
In response to Reply # 10

Lord of the Rings was incredible. Still trying 2 figure out exactly how I feel about The Royal T's tho. I liked it and it was a good flick but it wasnt what I was expecting. Very dark as far as being labeled a comedy.

Screw you guys...I'm goin home -Cartman

The mother of civilization, wants 2 know my occupation, home location and means of transportation. The correct combination unlocks her placenta. Ive got a cellular phone w/ a rubba antenna, own a 3 story house, drive a 4 door Ac, favorite song of all time, Mobb Deeps hit it from the back...then jet. -Ras Kass

...she said, "Do you have a car? Is your shit up 2 par?" Damn! a nigga need a resume just sittin at tha bar! -Ras Kass

Cuz bitches are like flies(why)they attract 2 the best shit. -Ras Kass

Cowards make a little cheese, then enlarge artificially, like Pamela Anderson Lee's double D's, please! I'm bangin from Belize 2 Tel Aviv in tha Red Sea racin Saddam Hussien on Kawasaki jet skies. -Ras Kass

18 willin rednecks, sendin me death threats, cuz their niece fantasize about wet sex, when I'm in her headsets. -Opio from Souls of Mischief

Tryin 2 do all I can do in this car...her mom's Jaguar -A-plus from Souls of Mischief

You think you're able 2 label the Hiero sound? You still havent found a comparable variable -Del

You live on the edge? I live on the San Andreas. -Evidence

I AINT GOT TIME 4 NO JIBBA JABBA!!!-Mr.T

BSharp
Charter member
9243 posts
Fri Dec-28-01 11:41 AM

16. "..."
In response to Reply # 8

>1) Memento. I knew when I
>saw it, I wouldn't see
>a better movie all year.

I felt that way too... Until I saw Mulholland Dr., and then Amelie.

As for Fat Girl... I don't understand how it made anyone's top ten list. Romance was far superior, and that got completely mixed reviews. It was eh... If someone was looking for a provocative French film, Intimacy was better...

Go see In the Bedroom. It's not the best film of the year, but it's easily up there...

REDeye
Charter member
6598 posts
Thu Jan-03-02 07:13 AM

23. "Lumumba"
In response to Reply # 8

I forgot to add Lumumba to my list. Damn.

I remembered it after seeing Ali. The dude playing Mobutu in Lumumba was real good. Nice companion piece to watch before Ali.

RED

RED

misteranonymity
Charter member
1111 posts
Fri Dec-28-01 09:32 AM

9. "Mister Anonymity's Top Five Films of 2001"
In response to Reply # 0

-Mulholland Drive
-Memento
-Ghost World
-Waking Life
-Signs and Wonders

ma
meudontno@hotmail.com

"Just because we're well-spoken and intelligent doesn't mean we're not human."
--?uestlove, justifying why the Roots have a stripper pole in their studio

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Fri Dec-28-01 10:32 AM

15. "Signs & Wonders"
In response to Reply # 9

I wanted to love this film so badly and I really didn't like it much at all. Give me Under the Sand for a stellar Charlotte Rampling performance this year.

Peace.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

Mosaic
Charter member
16409 posts
Fri Dec-28-01 09:46 AM

11. "i love you bastards."
In response to Reply # 0

fats
Charter member
2470 posts
Fri Dec-28-01 09:57 AM

12. "fats' top 5."
In response to Reply # 0

1. audition
2. training day
3. mulholland drive
4. donnie darko
5. ghost world

put that in your memento and smoke it, memento-fuckers.

HotSpittable
Charter member
456 posts
Fri Dec-28-01 10:10 AM

14. "i'd rank sexy b higher"
In response to Reply # 0

kingsley gave the best performance i have ever seen. ever. in anyone. he should win every oscar category for that. i still have nightmares about don logan.

royal tenenbaums should be higher too. way better than rushmore, the humor was so much more economical and focused in this one.

BSharp
Charter member
9243 posts
Fri Dec-28-01 11:43 AM

17. "I'll probably boost..."
In response to Reply # 14

Royal Tennenbaums a little higher when I see it a second time...

I was poisoned by expectations, then the audience kicked me when I was down by laughing obnoxiously at every not-that-funny moment, and they didn't even laugh at the funniest parts!

zero
Charter member
8108 posts
Fri Dec-28-01 02:16 PM

18. "RE: I'll probably boost..."
In response to Reply # 17

same here. the audience (second time around) made me mad, laughing during the 'richie-bathroom' scene. oh shit. and they laughed at other unfunny things, but me and my friend were laughing our asses off at Kumar.

. zero
. aim - monkeybarsj5
--
. yousonofabitch!
--
. http://www.mp3.com/wordy okp vivrant

HotSpittable
Charter member
456 posts
Fri Dec-28-01 03:41 PM

20. "this is my adopted daughter"

that was the best bit. and the amish scene.

starchild73

Fri Dec-28-01 05:02 PM

22. "RE: I'll probably boost..."

i feel ya' on the tenenbaums. that's how i felt watching it.

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Fri Dec-28-01 03:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
19. "i cant do a top ten list..."
In response to Reply # 0

seeing as though there wasnt MUCH that i saw that really warranted being listed in a "top ten list"..there was, but to rate them would really kill the impact theyve had on me. so im going to list the films that STOOD OUT for me this year--newly released or rented on video:

Ride With The Devil (1999) i rented this in the spring and again in the fall....this has got to be the most underrated movie to come out in 99. ang lee crafted a very different take on the civil war seen mainly through the eyes of "bushwackers"--irregulars loyal to the South. the movie details Jake Roedel's (Toby Macguire) "loyalty" to the south as the civl war progresses. im not giving the gist ofthe movie out you have to rent it. but damn--jeffrey wright, toby macguire even non acting skeet ulrich turned in quality performances. Jewel had an impressive debut here--and her teeth were perfect for the role.

In The Mood For Love: Kar-wai Wong--a very beautiful romantic drama about two people married to partners who are sleeping together BOTH Chow Mo-Wan (tony leung) and Su Li-zhen (maggie cheung) know their partners are together they spend the whole movie trying to fullfill their OWN desires to each other. granted, it wasw out late 2000 but it didnt come to pittsburgh the following february. the cast was impressive--maggie cheung is rarely used in international films andwhen she is, the results are ALWAYS impressive (cant wait for her in memoirs of a geisha). the cinematography and writing were great the atmosphere of themovie the music...*sigh* just rent it and see for yourself.

Panic (2001): William H. Macy stars as a hitman who questions his profession, marriage and life after meeting a 23 year old bisexual hairdresser (neve campbell) while at a shrink's office. William H. Macy, normally a character actor, actually does an amazing job of carrying thismovie. Henry Bromwell (writer/director) wrote an amazing script full of great character development. Neve Campbell did what appears to be the BEST role she's ever done to date. it was in the festival circuit in 2000 and popped up in area theaters BEFORE it ended up on cable. go rent it.. this movie seriously revitalized my determination of writing character centered movies and what not.

LIE
The Man Who Wasnt There
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (it came out early 2001)
Donnie Darko: just sheer fucking boldness and originality plain and simple....i have no words for this movie and i shall buy the dvd when it comes out. distributed by the samecompany who put out Memento.
Mulholland Drive: david lynch at his finest..the usual Mobius strip twist of identities added with what appears to be a searing take on hollywood....i laugh and spit on folks who THINK they have a lynch movie all figured out they dont. i commend them for their analysis but people just dont seem to understand that the fun comes in just WATCHING the movie! plus, lynch has an eye for picking talented unknowns or just below the radar acting talent: in this case, Naomi Watts (close friend of nicole kidman and she was in 1991's FLIRTING--naomi SHOULD get an oscar nod for her performance here she really should), Laura Elena Harring, and Justin Theroux.
Cure: i didnt like this when i saw it at a film festival mid november but a friend got a copy of it on tape (LOVE folks who can get movies thru connections) recently and i change my mind...a japanese cop is on the trail of a strange drifter who has a connection with a series of gruesome killings whose only ties (the killings) are X's on the victims necks and the "killers" who have no recollection of the murders. amazing movie...full of twists and turnsthat keep you guessing til the end. on both occasions of seeing this movie, i was still shocked by how and why somethings happened and IF they happened.
Diamond Men (film festival film: robert forrester at his best)
Punks--a bold, yet flawed film about black gay men looking for love and romance in WeHo (West Hollywood) Seth Gilliam and the rest of thecast were very good here. Rockmond Dunbar (kenny on soul food) EARNED himself a legion of gay fans for "the kiss".
The Others: an ok movie, but nicole kidman at her finest since To Die For, Flirting, Portrait Of A Lady, THe Year My Voice Broke, Malice and Dead Calm. this movie re-affirmed WHY i think shes talented as hell DESPITE the film missteps AND her marriage to tom cruise...i cant wait for her in Birthday Girl and The Hours
State and Main
Paperhouse (1988)---a british psychodrama that really KNOWS how toscare you. just rent it and thank me later.

Ryan

Illusion is the first of all pleasures.
--Oscar Wilde

They strike one, above all, as giving no account of themselves in any terms already consecrated by human use; to this inarticulate state they probably form, collectively, the most unprecedented of monuments; abysmal the mystery of what they think, what they feel, what they want, what they suppose themselves to be saying.
--Henry James

Get Out the Room
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Some of y'all need this in your life: http://www.psychology.com

babyswipes
Charter member
107 posts
Fri Jan-04-02 01:53 PM

29. "RE: i cant do a top ten list..."
In response to Reply # 19

crouching tiger came out in 2000. I remember watching it before New Years.

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness."
-Dalai Lama

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Sat Jan-05-02 02:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
33. "true it did for some areas..."
In response to Reply # 29

it never came out in pittsburgh until january 2001 one. there are some movies here that people mention (memento, in the mood for love) that have been OUT in 2000 but didnt go wide release UNTIL 2001. memento and in the mood for love playedthe festival circuit for months in 2000 BEFORE they both came out in theatres..
Ryan

"You always told me it takes time. It took my father's time, my mother's time, my uncle's time, my brother's time, my niece's and nephew's time. How much time do you want for your progress?"
--James Baldwin

Get Out the Room

starchild73

Fri Dec-28-01 04:30 PM

21. "cheers..."
In response to Reply # 0

amores perros
lumumba
amelie
bully
audition
our lady of the assasins
legally blonde (yep)
the endurance
vampire hunter d
rat race

best rentals '01:
the ballad of narayama ('82)
iron monkey
scary movie 2
underground
the mummy returns

roamr1
Charter member
18832 posts
Thu Jan-03-02 07:54 AM

25. "i'll do 5..."
In response to Reply # 0

cuz i haven't seen that many movies this year.

1. memento
2. mulholland drive
3. lord of the rings
4. shrek
5. ali/sexy beast

i wish i saw ghost world, but i have to wait til video.

wear clean drawz
everyday
cauze things may fall
the wrong way
you'll be lying there
waiting for an amublance
and your underwear
gots holes and shit(c)the coup

thrakkorzog

Thu Jan-03-02 09:24 AM

26. "Shrek is overrated"
In response to Reply # 0

Dreamworks has been trying to out-do Disney for quite some time now and I thought it had a chance...that is until it tried to attack Disney's now strongest form....computer animation. Pixar has helped Disney continue the legacy of producing the best feature length movies out there. shrek was a jumble of jokes instead of a good movie. They tried too hard to appeal to the adult crowd and forgot what makes Pixar's movies wonderful...the appeal to everyone. It takes much more wit to do this than it does to appeal to a target demographic. So I say to you, rethink your tie between Monsters Inc. and Shrek as Pixar still holds the championship belt in this feild. The animation alone in Monsters Inc. was far superior to Shrek. The Hair on Sully shows this perfectly. Many of the Characters in Shrek looked like they were created last minute and were too much like eachother to gain any respect at all. Keep at it Dreamworks...you might get there some day.

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Sat Jan-05-02 03:16 AM

30. "what the fuck is you talking about?"
In response to Reply # 26

Shrek overrated? i saw Monsters Inc. i was bored by Monsters Inc. Shrek made me laugh....a lot. and the hair on Sulley doesn't signify superior animation, cos Shrek was breathtaking. some of the outdoor scenes looked so real they scared me.
i remember only showing interest in Disney/Pixar's latest venture into CGI when Boo came into play. she was the star of the movie. if it wasn't for her i woulda fallen asleep cos everything was just cliched and some of the gags felt forced.
Shrek is far more superior in every single way so shut yo dang mouth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~$$$MONEYMONEYMONEY$$$~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Will Smith came to my house on the weekend. 'Cause he knows where I live.
HE goes "come on man lets play some bakbol"
I said "no i don't think so"
so he said "come on man"
so he said "come on man"
So he said "come on man lets go play bakbol. Lets go man. Come on man"

and he was shaking his head around and his lips were flying everywhere.

i forget the rest.

aka_-=-_soulquarian84_/-/_Aquanote_/-/_The Hellatious Dr. Dazzle

Australian Okayplayer since early 2000.

On rotation:
Common - Resurrection
Outkast - Big Boi & Dre Present...Outkast
Adriana Evans - Adriana Evans
Jamiroquai - Synkronized
Jay-Z - MTV Unplugged (feat. The Roots)
Maxwell - Embrya
Naked Music - Nude Dimensions Vol. III
Will.I.Am - Lost Change
Ursula Rucker - Supasista

---
http://confessionsofacurlymind.com
https://soundcloud.com/confessionsofacurlymindredux
https://soundcloud.com/generic80sbadguy
https://soundcloud.com/miles_matheson

DROkayplayerâ„¢

Brass_Tacts

Fri Jan-04-02 09:17 AM

27. "RE: Top 10 Films of 2001"
In response to Reply # 0

Current top movies of 2001:
1. Mulholland Drive.
2. The Fellowship of the Ring
3. The Man Who Wasn't There
4. The Royal Tenenbaums
5. Amelie
6. Sexy Beast
7. Hedwig and the Angry Inch
8. Memento
9. Waking Life
10. In The Mood For love
Honorable Mention:
Amores Perros
In The Bedroom

All I can say about Mulholland Drive is that it is one of the best movies I have ever seen. The entire time, both times that I saw it, I had a huge grin on my face because I was so happy to be watching such a great movie. I wont go into the interpretations, but it is one of the most clever slaps to Hollywood, in line with The Player and Sunset Boulevard.

Best Actor: Will Smith, "Ali"
Best Actress: Nicole Kidman, "Moulin Rouge"
Best Supporting Actor: Ben Kingsley, "Sexy Beast"
Best Supporting Actress: Marissa Tomei, "In The Bedroom"

Best Director: David Lynch, "Mulholland Drive"
Best Screenplay: Jean-Pierre Junnet, el al- "Amelie"
--I may not speak French, but just based on how clever the stories moved in and out of each other, this beats the Coen Bros.

aaron.

Miles
Charter member
1873 posts
Sat Jan-05-02 04:53 PM

34. "Hello? Anniversary Party?"
In response to Reply # 0

Very nice lists everybody. But how can nobody mention Anniversary Party? I thought Jennifer Jason Leigh and Alan Cummings were both fantastic. It never hurts to see Phoebe Cates again either.

But then again, I also really like Vanilla Sky. Really liked it. Don't tell anyone though.
********************************************************************************
"Look at you, y'so purty." FANatic of Shania Twain, on MTV

"Go mush yaself." Rachel S.

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Sat Jan-05-02 04:55 PM

35. "dont forget Jennifer Beals..."
In response to Reply # 34

it always refreshing to see her on the silver screen lord knows we dont see enough of her.
RC

"You always told me it takes time. It took my father's time, my mother's time, my uncle's time, my brother's time, my niece's and nephew's time. How much time do you want for your progress?"
--James Baldwin

Get Out the Room

Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #17014 Previous topic | Next topic