Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #16099

Subject: "STATE OF BLACK FILM" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Thu Feb-14-02 04:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"STATE OF BLACK FILM"

i stole this from the Bet.com website: Terence Dashown Howard (quentin from the bestman, and he's now in the upcoming Hart's War and Investigating Sex) sounds OFF about black films..a very good article.

Terrance Howard is Waiting
By James Hill, BET.com Staff Writer

Posted Feb. 15, 2002 -- Terrance Howard sounds tired. Scratch that, Terrance Howard sounds weary.

"I haven't taken a job since 'Hart's War.' On the other hand, I've been offered 'The Best Man' 20 times," Howard says, "but how many times can I play the same guy? Been there, done that. I don't want to take that step back down. So I may get a little lean in the meantime."

We're supposed to be talking about his role as real-life Tuskegee Airman Lincoln Scott in his new film, "Hart's War," opening Feb. 15, but instead Howard has something to get off his chest. "Black film is missing integrity. And until Black film takes a stand, I can't make a stand for it right now."

From playing Ralph Abernathy ("Boycott") to cautious cop ("Angel Eyes") to a crazed lunatic ("Big Momma's House"), Howard is seemingly doing the impossible, finding the varied roles most Black actors say aren't out there. Nevertheless, Howard is not Denzel and despite heralded turns in "Dead Presidents" and "The Best Man," his name is not yet the household name it should be.

So what's his method? Simple. "You have to sit up and wait till it comes. You have to be patient. I'm not a millionaire," he says, "I have to struggle to pay my mortgage, but I have integrity and I won't pretend to sell crack to pay my bills. There's a whole lot of crack being sold in Hollywood. And the actors are the dealers."

If Howard sounds a bit bitter, it's only because he knows what Black film is capable of but somehow rarely achieves. "There are a lot of writers with great scripts and lots of films that don't get made because they're not 'big' enough. And what they really mean is that they're not 'nigger' enough."

One such project is Spike Lee's proposed Joe Louis bio-pic, which Howard was tapped to lead. Alas, Howard says "the movie may never get made because studios aren't offering Lee enough green to get it done correctly."

"The sad thing is there are great actors like Don Cheadle and Jeffrey Wright, who was treated like an extra in 'Ali,' who are waiting," Howard laments, "But this is what happens when you hire rappers to do my job. That's like sending in Slick Rick to fight Tyson. I mean I love them if they can do it, but . . .look at Ice Cube. The brother got an opportunity to write a film and he ends up perpetuating the same garbage that was in his rap. We perpetuate this attack on ourselves. It's so painful to watch."

Ryan

"Self love, my liege, is not so vile a sin as self-neglecting."
--Shakespere

donwill on the internet:
i look at the web like its a video game...who cares if some shithead dont like u, think about it...when u log off...u log off..when they log off..they go meet each other..it doesnt stop for them...

Get Out the Room
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Some of y'all need this in your life: http://www.psychology.com

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: STATE OF BLACK FILM
Feb 14th 2002
NOW !!!!!!!!
Feb 14th 2002
And if I see......
Feb 14th 2002
By the way, Ryan......
Feb 14th 2002
at least you GOT to see
Feb 15th 2002
Gary Dourdan?????
Feb 15th 2002
he made one mistake...
Feb 15th 2002
      nah, yo...
Feb 15th 2002
      RE: nah, yo...
Feb 15th 2002
           well...
Feb 15th 2002
                RE: well...
Feb 15th 2002
                     Phina...
Feb 15th 2002
                          btw...
Feb 15th 2002
                          RE: btw...
Feb 15th 2002
                               overseas...
Feb 15th 2002
                               they not really...
Feb 15th 2002
                                    Black Orpheus...
Feb 15th 2002
                                         oh damn...
Feb 15th 2002
                                              hahaha!
Feb 15th 2002
                                              basically...
Feb 15th 2002
                                              go for it
Feb 17th 2002
                               RE: btw...
Feb 16th 2002
                          RE: Phina...
Feb 15th 2002
      he made one mistake
Feb 15th 2002
      that's no excuse
Feb 18th 2002
      two mistakes...
Feb 19th 2002
What ???
Feb 15th 2002
i know...
Feb 15th 2002
      it's at blockbuster...
Feb 15th 2002
Another Black actress to peep
Feb 17th 2002
the visit is at blockbuster
Feb 19th 2002
"The Visit"
Feb 15th 2002
RE: And if I see......
Feb 21st 2002
Hahahahaha
Feb 15th 2002
RE: NOW !!!!!!!!
Feb 21st 2002
Feb 17th 2002
Co-Sign ...
Feb 15th 2002
Terrence...
Feb 15th 2002
Feb 15th 2002
yeah, yeah, yeah
Feb 15th 2002
this statement
Feb 15th 2002
Feb 15th 2002
Feb 17th 2002
Feb 21st 2002
Feb 22nd 2002
Is this the entire article?
Feb 16th 2002
this is why t. howard is my mufucka!
Vinegar
Feb 16th 2002
basically!
Feb 16th 2002
i love he
Feb 16th 2002
Respect
Feb 17th 2002
black hollywood
Feb 17th 2002
^
Feb 18th 2002
hey!
Feb 18th 2002
he speaks truth
Feb 19th 2002
Yeah.
Feb 21st 2002
      RE: Yeah.
Feb 21st 2002
One more comment:
Feb 23rd 2002
For example
Feb 23rd 2002
Mar 01st 2002
could we get a really good film about black women?
Mar 01st 2002
Did Yall' see
Mar 09th 2002
      i like him with hair
Mar 09th 2002

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Thu Feb-14-02 05:48 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: STATE OF BLACK FILM"
In response to Reply # 0

amen.
bignick

www.comedy.com/nickadams

"Oswald was a fag."
McManus

"Why don't you strip out of the green jumpsuit and show me that fat ass?"
Astronaut Jones

"Comedy is a dialogue...not a monologue"
Jerry Seinfeld

Flagrant Foul

b. If contact committed against a
player, with or without the ball, is
interpreted to be unnecessary and
excessive, a flagrant foul - penalty (2)
will be assessed. A personal foul is
charged to the offender and a team
foul is charged to the team.
PENALTY: (1) Two free throws shall
be attempted and the ball awarded to
the offended team on either side of
the court at the free throw line
extended.

-From The Official NBA Rules

Silky1
Charter member
9763 posts
Thu Feb-14-02 06:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
2. "NOW !!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 1

I've been griping about this for years. And what we need now is more Cicely Tyson's and less Vivica A Fox's(Cicely waits for the good roles to come her way, and doesn't just appear in anything). More Don Cheadle's and less DMX's. Play on, play on (c)D'Angelo.

Silk.
Later

silk.later

http://soulodyssey.podbean.com/ My new podcast. That's right, i'm baaaaaaacccckkk !!!!!

Silky1
Charter member
9763 posts
Thu Feb-14-02 06:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
3. "And if I see......"
In response to Reply # 2

......one more "Best Man" prototype, I swear........

Silk.
Later

silk.later

http://soulodyssey.podbean.com/ My new podcast. That's right, i'm baaaaaaacccckkk !!!!!

Silky1
Charter member
9763 posts
Thu Feb-14-02 06:34 PM

4. "By the way, Ryan......"
In response to Reply # 3

.......I saw the Visit. I loved it. Too bad I couldn't see in a theater, and had to wait for Cinamex to show it(and didn't it come out in 2000, and it's now 2002 ?). But, somehow "The Wash" got the green light. What a shame.

Silk.
Later

silk.later

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Fri Feb-15-02 02:02 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "at least you GOT to see"
In response to Reply # 4

THE VISIT kevin i didnt it never came out in pittsburgh..ill have to get the video in the future.

but terence is dead on...LESS vivica fox and halle berry, MORE Thandie Newton, N'bushe Wright (we gotta wait every FIVE years forher to do some shit???), and Rachel True's is all im saying.

LESS mekhi, omar, shemar and morris and taye MORE don cheadle, gary dourdan, terence howard, jeffrey wright and roger guenveur smith.

RYan

--Shakespere

donwill on the internet:
i look at the web like its a video game...who cares if some shithead dont like u, think about it...when u log off...u log off..when they log off..they go meet each other..it doesnt stop for them...

Get Out the Room

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Fri Feb-15-02 02:49 AM

6. "Gary Dourdan?????"
In response to Reply # 5

maaaaaan.... Trois was some of the worst shit i've seen in my life!

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Fri Feb-15-02 03:31 AM

7. "he made one mistake..."
In response to Reply # 6

im more than willing to ignore that for real. must you always hate AFKAP?

RC

--Shakespere

donwill on the internet:

Get Out the Room

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Fri Feb-15-02 04:12 AM

8. "nah, yo..."
In response to Reply # 7

it aint hate, it's fact!

not only was Trois a bad film, but his performance in it was terrible as well!

what i wonder is when you say "less Omar, Mekhi, Shemar"--all of whom i think are good actors (except for Shemar)--are you penalizing THEM just because they probably made the decision to pay their rent by being in a few less-than-stellar efforts? are you praising Gary beause he is more "obscure"? or do you just have a crush on him?

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Fri Feb-15-02 04:36 AM

9. "RE: nah, yo..."
In response to Reply # 8

>it aint hate, it's fact!

>not only was Trois a bad
>film, but his performance in
>it was terrible as well!
i agree with you there,afkap trois was shit and i was happy i rented the shit and NOT go to a theatre to support it. i would have slapped the shit out of the ticket person!

>
>what i wonder is when you
>say "less Omar, Mekhi, Shemar"--all
>of whom i think are
>good actors (except for Shemar)--are
>you penalizing THEM just because
>they probably made the decision
>to pay their rent by
>being in a few less-than-stellar
>efforts? are you praising Gary
>beause he is more "obscure"?
>or do you just have
>a crush on him?
theyre decent actors, but they dont push themselves. omar: is extremely talented, but it just seems like he plays a derivation of the main character in his debut film in 92, Juice. it gets tired after a while...i dont htink it would be a bad thing if he played against type every once in a while. Mekhi: im still up in the air on him. save for Clockers, A Lesson Before Dying--he hasnt done much to prove to me he's talented yet. O i wasnt feeling..i got it but i just wasnt feelinghim in it. he'sthe same as Omar for me: if he plays against type and does it well, then ill change my opinion of him.

no i think gary is quite talented....his few films, other than Trois and that BET movie of the week he did in 99, are really good and show he has range. and CSI--he is very good on that show being part of the ensemble cast.

yea he's hot and i admit that...have i ever done otherwise afkap?

all im saying is that an actor gets my respect if he not only is good but can play a variety of characters..i like terence because he has variety and i respect that. he could have easily done stuff JUST LIKE THE BEST MAN (morris chestnutt in the brothers anyone?) but he didnt....

in general, i just want MORE black actors to get their shot to do movies--and not just the usual suspects (vivica, nia halle, morris, taye, etc.)

Ryan

--Shakespere

donwill on the internet:

Get Out the Room

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Fri Feb-15-02 05:00 AM

10. "well..."
In response to Reply # 9

>>not only was Trois a bad
>>film, but his performance in
>>it was terrible as well!
>i agree with you there,afkap trois
>was shit and i was
>happy i rented the shit
>and NOT go to a
>theatre to support it. i
>would have slapped the shit
>out of the ticket person!
>

man, I rented it to and I STILL wanted to kick the ass of everybody involved with that mess! to be honest, I actually felt personally betrayed because of that email campaign they had to drum up support for the film… I responded to that and I believed in them that they were really trying to get quality Black product out there. that was the last time I responded to any of THAT propaganda…I was so pissed that not only was the movie badly written, directed, acted, lighted and edited, but for a film with the subject matter at hand, they didn't even give me any sex to hold on to!

>theyre decent actors, but they dont
>push themselves. omar: is extremely
>talented, but it just seems
>like he plays a derivation
>of the main character in
>his debut film in 92,
>Juice. it gets tired after
>a while...i dont htink it
>would be a bad thing
>if he played against type
>every once in a while.

did you see Deadly Voyage? that was the film that gave me a new respect for him that has managed to withstand all the Screams and Dracula 2000s… and I thought he was shaping up well on ER, I don't know why he decided to leave the show (he says that it was HIS choice to be written out, btw)… that could have given him the financial freedom to do other kinds of things. that made me wonder how serious he is with his career, really…

>Mekhi: im still up in
>the air on him. save
>for Clockers, A Lesson Before
>Dying--he hasnt done much to
>prove to me he's talented
>yet. O i wasnt feeling..i
>got it but i just
>wasnt feelinghim in it. he'sthe
>same as Omar for me:
>if he plays against type
>and does it well, then
>ill change my opinion of
>him.
>

I agree with you there. I think his look works against him, too… he's too much of a type… in fact, he's too much of THE type, if you know what I mean…

>no i think gary is quite
>talented....his few films, other than
>Trois and that BET movie
>of the week he did
>in 99, are really good
>and show he has range.
>and CSI--he is very good
>on that show being part
>of the ensemble cast.
>

oh snap… I forgot he was on that show! never seen it…

>yea he's hot and i admit
>that...have i ever done otherwise
>afkap?
>

>all im saying is that an
>actor gets my respect if
>he not only is good
>but can play a variety
>of characters..i like terence because
>he has variety and i
>respect that. he could have
>easily done stuff JUST LIKE
>THE BEST MAN (morris chestnutt
>in the brothers anyone?) but
>he didnt....
>
>in general, i just want MORE
>black actors to get their
>shot to do movies--and not
>just the usual suspects (vivica,
>nia halle, morris, taye, etc.)
>

okay, we're eye-to-eye there.

ps. I LIKE Vivica. a lot. but then, maybe it has little to do with her acting.

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Fri Feb-15-02 05:24 AM

14. "RE: well..."
In response to Reply # 10

>man, I rented it to and
>I STILL wanted to kick
>the ass of everybody involved
>with that mess! to be
>honest, I actually felt personally
>betrayed because of that email
>campaign they had to drum
>up support for the film…
>I responded to that and
>I believed in them that
>they were really trying to
>get quality Black product out
>there. that was the last
>time I responded to any
>of THAT propaganda…I was so
>pissed that not only was
>the movie badly written, directed,
>acted, lighted and edited, but
>for a film with the
>subject matter at hand, they
>didn't even give me any
>sex to hold on to!
me and dad were like where's the fatal attraction shit where'e the BOUND esque lesbo sex scenes? nothing shit was weak...i really did want to hurt everyone behindthe film for giving me this crap and calling itg a movie.

>did you see Deadly Voyage? that
>was the film that gave
>me a new respect for
>him that has managed to
>withstand all the Screams and
>Dracula 2000s… and I thought
>he was shaping up well
>on ER, I don't know
>why he decided to leave
>the show (he says that
>it was HIS choice to
>be written out, btw)… that
>could have given him the
>financial freedom to do other
>kinds of things. that made
>me wonder how serious he
>is with his career, really…
yea i forgot about deadly voyage adewale was in that too right? see that was a fragment of talent..the whole ER thing i dont know why he left ER he made that show interesting as hell (him and jorjan fox, who played the lesbian intern maggie doyle who is NOT making $250K an EPISODE on CSI.. ) i think if he stayed hed be doing more films..but he didnt and he aint done much lately. well at least his fiance Sanaa got some sense--though shes about to take Nia Long's place as overexposed black actress--but ithink she hasthe talent to surpass that and do a lot of roles that are across the board--in different genres, and most definitely "raceless" (written for anyone, etc.) i just hope she KEEPS doing more work though.

>

>
>I agree with you there. I
>think his look works against
>him, too… he's too much
>of a type… in fact,
>he's too much of THE
>type, if you know what
>I mean…
yup i know what you mean for real. and its sad too cause his career could have gone to MANY places had he followed clockers up with something OTHER than high school high. but that's just me.

>oh snap… I forgot he was
>on that show! never seen
>it…
yup the show is off the hook...marg helegenberger (china beach) william petersen (to live in die in la, and manhunter the FIRST hannibal lecter film), jorjan fox (er, memento {lenny's wife}), etc. good strong ensemble cast that KILLS IT every week! and gary too..

>>all im saying is that an
>>actor gets my respect if
>>he not only is good
>>but can play a variety
>>of characters..i like terence because
>>he has variety and i
>>respect that. he could have
>>easily done stuff JUST LIKE
>>THE BEST MAN (morris chestnutt
>>in the brothers anyone?) but
>>he didnt....
>>
>>in general, i just want MORE
>>black actors to get their
>>shot to do movies--and not
>>just the usual suspects (vivica,
>>nia halle, morris, taye, etc.)
>>
>
>
>okay, we're eye-to-eye there.
yup like i said....you give me films with nbushe, thandie, rachel true, phina, carmen ejogo, jeffrey don gary hill harper etc. then ill say that black film is TRULY starting to have a renaissance..until then EFF IT...im wathing foreign films and writing my own.
im STILL going to write my own of course (as wellas bring some books to the silver and small screens. ) but still....give these people more roles and we can talk.
>

>ps. I LIKE Vivica. a lot.
>but then, maybe it has
>little to do with her
>acting.
I KNEW IT you are OVERCOME by her breasts! youve been BAMBOOZLED by her breasts and thickness! my dad is the same way...he says she cant act for shit but hell say: "DAMN! she fill out a dress though!"

RC

--Shakespere

donwill on the internet:

Get Out the Room

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Fri Feb-15-02 05:31 AM

15. "Phina..."
In response to Reply # 14

she's fine as hell, but what do you base your assessment of her talent on? that vampire flick?

and yes... Vivica does floor me with the thickness. i have been tricked into watching many bad films because of her, and spent many Friday nights watching that shortlived show she had on Fox with Duane Martin (damn,.... i can't even remember what it was called... "Getting Personal"?)

dagnabbit! the poontang fooled me again!

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Fri Feb-15-02 05:32 AM

16. "btw..."
In response to Reply # 15

if there really is gonna be a "black film renaissance," i seriously doubt it's gonna have anything to do with Hollywood.

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Fri Feb-15-02 05:48 AM

18. "RE: btw..."
In response to Reply # 16

>if there really is gonna be
>a "black film renaissance," i
>seriously doubt it's gonna have
>anything to do with Hollywood.
true..if its really is going to happen, it will happen OUTSIDE of hollywood and come from a lot of directors and actors who arent waiting for lala land to givethem opportunities theyll just create their own. i also see canada and other markets overseas as potentially being chances for black folk do get the work....british films seem to cast irregardless of race as do canadian films...french movies are slowly following suit..maybe but not fast enough.
it will happen but it will occur outside of hollywood most definitely.
Ryan

--Shakespere

donwill on the internet:

Get Out the Room

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Fri Feb-15-02 05:59 AM

19. "overseas..."
In response to Reply # 18

is definitely where it's at… that's where I'm doing MY thing.

the problem is: how open IS the Black American general audience to "overseas" films?

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Fri Feb-15-02 06:35 AM

22. "they not really..."
In response to Reply # 19

>is definitely where it's at… that's
>where I'm doing MY thing.
im planning on going over to britain at some point to do some movie work behind and in front of the camera plus i have this serious desire to be on teh soap EASTENDERS..i love that show ive watched it since like 5th grade.

>
>the problem is: how open IS
>the Black American general audience
>to "overseas" films?
they arent not really. if they were, youd see a lot of black actors from overseas SERIOUSLY crossing over and black actors here going overseas to do projects.

most black folk probably dont even know who Sembene is..or have seen Black Orpheus (which i need to buy on dvd fo rreal..that movie is powerful)..etc.

RYan

--Shakespere

donwill on the internet:

Get Out the Room

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Fri Feb-15-02 06:59 AM

23. "Black Orpheus..."
In response to Reply # 22

believe it or not, i actually think that Orfeu is better.

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Fri Feb-15-02 07:02 AM

24. "oh damn..."
In response to Reply # 23

>believe it or not, i actually
>think that Orfeu is better.
Orfeu is the brazilian version correct..that was the one i was talking about. both are good but orfeu just stood out. i could ACTUALLY see this happening with someblack actors here in a big city and what not....dont know whod be in the movie (thoughid find a way to cast nbushe wright somewhere in the film. ) but iw as thinking about this other day.

just like i was thinking about a modern day version of Medea. nevamind, im not going to speak on this one here someone will steal the idea and make a movie out of it.
Ryan

--Shakespere

donwill on the internet:

Get Out the Room

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Fri Feb-15-02 07:25 AM

25. "hahaha!"
In response to Reply # 24

you better keep your ideas to yourself, man! cos once you put them out here, they're fair game!

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Fri Feb-15-02 07:36 AM

26. "basically..."
In response to Reply # 25

>you better keep your ideas to
>yourself, man! cos once you
>put them out here, they're
>fair game!
ill talk about them..WHEN they have been written, copyrighted or and on their way to being SOLD to a film production company!
Ryan

--Shakespere

donwill on the internet:

Get Out the Room

jvictoria
Charter member
8620 posts
Sun Feb-17-02 02:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
42. "go for it"
In response to Reply # 24

i say you update the story
it's a classic one
my old rhyming partner was trying to do that
until she had three kids and dropped everything, including that script...Orfeu was the bomb...

Can I hang with you?
I ain't gon' pay your rent
All I got is love... ~ Me'Shell

It's better to be hated for who you are
than to be loved for who you are not ~ random bumper sticker quote.

http://saturnchild.blogspot.com/

UncleClimax
Charter member
13786 posts
Sat Feb-16-02 12:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
38. "RE: btw..."
In response to Reply # 18

irregardless is not a word!!! do u not see the double negative there! sorry, just a pet peeve of mine

“Be uncomfortable; be sand, not oil, to the machinery of the world.”
- Gunter Eich

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Fri Feb-15-02 05:45 AM

17. "RE: Phina..."
In response to Reply # 15

in phina's case i base it on her POTENTIAL to do some shit...but all she gets are bit parts here and there. she could very well end up being a halle or vivica...

but with her stint on buffy, i think she could do some decent work. but in her case, how will we know if she cant even getwork because how she looks?

and i do know of a few people whove seen her in theatre in la and they say she isnt bad...i havent seen her on the stage so i dont know.

vivica: its ok...its titties i guessi understand. but yea a lot of folk get caught up in how she looks and oftentimes will overlook her spotty performances. but she still cant act and that is the glaring fact.

Ryan

--Shakespere

donwill on the internet:

Get Out the Room

Cam
Charter member
13287 posts
Fri Feb-15-02 09:50 PM

33. "he made one mistake"
In response to Reply # 7

Trois was only made made for 200,000 dollars also. so...what do you expect?

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Mon Feb-18-02 04:15 AM

45. "that's no excuse"
In response to Reply # 33

however much or little the movie cost to make, it does not excuse a poor script, wooden acting and inept directing. i can't go for that (no can do).

spirit
Charter member
21442 posts
Tue Feb-19-02 09:36 PM

50. "two mistakes..."
In response to Reply # 7

i saw him portray malcolm x in a made-for-TV ali bio and he did a subpar job.

Thoughtfully yours,

Spirit Equality

If you really loved me, you'd check out http://www.mp3.com/spirit_equality

Spirit Equality will be rocking a 20 minute set as part of an underground hip-hop showcase @ Metro Cafe (on 14th St and Church St NW, b/t P and Q), FEBRUARY 28th...last day of February, baby, ring out Black History Month with a bang...cover price unknown...well worth any price asked (likely $5-7)

Misc. Flux will be having their record release show (for their debut CD "Dead In Dreams") @ STATE OF THE UNION (1357 U street NW, DC) on FRIDAY, MARCH 8, 2002...doors-9pm, show-10pm....$5 cover...$10 CD's for sale...21+ (please bring photo ID, open mind, and body (or bodies) ready to move)

If you believe in avant garde music with soul, peep out http://www.miscflux.com

2002: The Underground Strikes Back

Abolitionist Movement representing...

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

Silky1
Charter member
9763 posts
Fri Feb-15-02 11:10 AM

27. "What ???"
In response to Reply # 5

>THE VISIT kevin i didnt it
>never came out in pittsburgh..ill
>have to get the video
>in the future.
>
>but terence is dead on...LESS vivica
>fox and halle berry, MORE
>Thandie Newton, N'bushe Wright (we
>gotta wait every FIVE years
>forher to do some shit???),
>and Rachel True's is all
>im saying.
>
>LESS mekhi, omar, shemar and morris
>and taye MORE don
>cheadle, gary dourdan, terence howard,
>jeffrey wright and roger guenveur
>smith.
>
>RYan
>
>
>

*shaking head*. Well, if you wanna see it before you rent it(have yet to see it at Blockbuster), check for "The Visit" on Cinamax(More Max). And I think it was listed as coming on this month, on Black Starz. I don't know if you have cable or not, but those are some of the channels that are showing. Damn, I would've thought it had came out in Pittsburgh.........

Silk.
Later

silk.later

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Fri Feb-15-02 11:28 AM

29. "i know..."
In response to Reply # 27

we got allthat other crap that came out that same week and no Visit..i dont have cable so ill miss it. but im going to get my dad or somebody to tape it--ill be able to see it before i move to NYC early march...

but we did get MONSTER'S BALL..that's such a trade off! nah im going to have any open mind about that film. im gonig to see it tonite.

Ryan

--Shakespere

donwill on the internet:

Get Out the Room

Zesi
Charter member
24062 posts
Fri Feb-15-02 04:30 PM

32. "it's at blockbuster..."
In response to Reply # 29

at least the ones where i live.

*high five*

OkayNetworking: is your name Inita Jobb? If so, click this: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/okaynetworking

Interested in the okaysistas group? Looka heah: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/okaysistas

Like nifty art? Mira aqui: http://www.funkknots.com

misteranonymity
Charter member
1111 posts
Sun Feb-17-02 10:03 AM

40. "Another Black actress to peep"
In response to Reply # 5

...LESS vivica
>fox and halle berry, MORE
>Thandie Newton, N'bushe Wright (we
>gotta wait every FIVE years
>forher to do some shit???),
>and Rachel True's is all
>im saying.
>

Here's another Black actress to peep:
http://www.okayplayer.com/dcforum/concert/6235.html

ma
meudontnohotmail.com

"Just because we're well-spoken and intelligent doesn't mean we're not human."
--?uestlove, justifying why the Roots have a stripper pole in their studio

spirit
Charter member
21442 posts
Tue Feb-19-02 09:35 PM

49. "the visit is at blockbuster"
In response to Reply # 5

i rented "the visit". a quality film. everyone should go check it out.

Thoughtfully yours,

Spirit Equality

Spirit Equality will be rocking a 20 minute set as part of an underground hip-hop showcase @ Metro Cafe (on 14th St and Church St NW, b/t P and Q), FEBRUARY 28th...last day of February, baby, ring out Black History Month with a bang...cover price unknown...well worth any price asked (likely $5-7)

Misc. Flux will be having their record release show (for their debut CD "Dead In Dreams") @ STATE OF THE UNION (1357 U street NW, DC) on FRIDAY, MARCH 8, 2002...doors-9pm, show-10pm....$5 cover...$10 CD's for sale...21+ (please bring photo ID, open mind, and body (or bodies) ready to move)

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)

tonio_g
Charter member
864 posts
Fri Feb-15-02 05:03 AM

12. ""The Visit""
In response to Reply # 4

I was thinking about getting it on "DVD," since it never hit a theatre in Cali -- I may even pick up the soundtrack.

"who is he and what is he to you" ~Me'Shell NdegéOcello

http://lunjonez.diaryland.com
AIM: lunjonez
AIM: mistagaskin

johnnynoname
Charter member
2443 posts
Thu Feb-21-02 11:28 AM

52. "RE: And if I see......"
In response to Reply # 3

word...

InKast
Charter member
14823 posts
Fri Feb-15-02 04:08 PM

31. "Hahahahaha"
In response to Reply # 2

>I've been griping about this for
>years. And what we need
>now is more Cicely Tyson's
>and less Vivica A Fox's(Cicely
>waits for the good roles
>to come her way, and
>doesn't just appear in anything).

she's played the same exact role 800 consecutive times

johnnynoname
Charter member
2443 posts
Thu Feb-21-02 11:27 AM

51. "RE: NOW !!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 2

word...

jahlove7
Charter member
10743 posts
Sun Feb-17-02 05:43 PM

43. "RE: STATE OF BLACK FILM"
In response to Reply # 1

>amen.

co-sign. howard's rant is long overdue.

inaugural member - okayplayer sports hall of fame.

what i'm digging right now:

chocolate butterfly - self-titled
laura jane - welcome to my planet boo
me & this japanese guy - waiting for the miracle
wade3 - dreams
tracey amos - who are we really?

tonio_g
Charter member
864 posts
Fri Feb-15-02 05:01 AM

11. "Co-Sign ..."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm feelin' on that!

Creole
Charter member
15427 posts
Fri Feb-15-02 05:18 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "Terrence..."
In response to Reply # 0

is the truth! Fa real. Ever since he played Cowboy in DP, I been diggin' his work. It's a damned shame what they doing to Spike. Ya see, this is where Robert Johnson could have helped had he not sold BET. Honestly, it's time for BLACK HOLLYWOOD to create themselves.

Diversity amongst Black Hollywood would be cool. Even the rapper/actors would have a place. If Britney can creat a wack as film in Hollywood, then Cube and them could create wack ass films in Black Hollywood. It would add to the diversity of the community.

--- praying for peace, love, and power

tonio_g
Charter member
864 posts
Fri Feb-15-02 06:15 AM

20. "RE: STATE OF BLACK FILM"
In response to Reply # 0

My thoughts on Vivica Fox ...

"Independence Day"
"Two Can Play That Game"
"Don't Be A Menance ..."
"The Tuskegee Airmen"
"Soul Food"
"Why Do Fools Fall In Love"
"Booty Call"
"Set It Off"
"Kingdom Come"
"Batman & Robin"

She's not as good as people make her out to be ...

REDeye
Charter member
6598 posts
Fri Feb-15-02 06:20 AM

21. "yeah, yeah, yeah"
In response to Reply # 0

Black film is in a sad state. We know this.

But this kind of stuff kills me.

>"Black film is
>missing integrity. And until Black
>film takes a stand, I
>can't make a stand for
>it right now."

We always accuse white people of unfairly grouping all black film together. We don't need our own people making that same mistake. I know he's basing it on the crappy scripts he's getting, but that's a product of the business. When you're in a romantic comedy, let's say, everyone doesn't then say "hey, let's send him all "action" scripts!" It just doesn't work that way. He's gonna keep getting "Best Man" ripoffs even after Hart's War. Maybe things will change after they see him in this, but not if he keeps mouthing off and bitching about how much Colin Ferrell is getting paid compared to him.

>Howard is seemingly doing
>the impossible, finding the varied
>roles most Black actors say
>aren't out there.

Yes, he is. Evev white people find it hard to get the variety of roles he's been getting. So stop complaining and just work hard. No one's gonna hand you shit even if you're white.

Nevertheless, Howard
>is not Denzel and despite
>heralded turns in "Dead Presidents"
>and "The Best Man," his
>name is not yet the
>household name it should be.

Why exactly "should" he be a household name? Lots of better actors have been in bigger movies, and no one knows their names either. At least he's known as that guy from The Best Man. And if he reaches household status like Denzel, he'll find the variety of roles he's getting now even slimmer. But that will never happen if he keeps mouthing off and bitching about how much Colin Ferrell is getting paid compared to him.

>"I have to struggle to
>pay my mortgage, but I
>have integrity and I won't
>pretend to sell crack to
>pay my bills. There's a
>whole lot of crack being
>sold in Hollywood. And the
>actors are the dealers."

As a reporter, how can you let your subject say something like this and not follow it up? What the fuck does he mean?

>If Howard sounds a bit bitter,
>it's only because he knows
>what Black film is capable
>of but somehow rarely achieves.
>"There are a lot of
>writers with great scripts and
>lots of films that don't
>get made because they're not
>'big' enough. And what they
>really mean is that they're
>not 'nigger' enough."

Once again, huh?

>One such project is Spike Lee's
>proposed Joe Louis bio-pic, which
>Howard was tapped to lead.
>Alas, Howard says "the movie
>may never get made because
>studios aren't offering Lee enough
>green to get it done
>correctly."

Enough green to get it done correctly... I'm sure there's some truth to that, but how much is enough and what is "correctly." I'm sure there's other factors being that it is Spike. As talented as he is, his movies don't offer the surest return on investment.

>"The sad thing is there are
>great actors like Don Cheadle
>and Jeffrey Wright, who was
>treated like an extra in
>'Ali,' who are waiting," Howard
>laments, "But this is what
>happens when you hire rappers
>to do my job. That's
>like sending in Slick Rick
>to fight Tyson. I mean
>I love them if they
>can do it, but .
>. .look at Ice Cube.
>The brother got an opportunity
>to write a film <'Player's [br />>Club'] and he ends up
>perpetuating the same garbage that
>was in his rap. We
>perpetuate this attack on ourselves.
>It's so painful to watch."

This is all hilarious and true.

RED
No dream. Lose the race, fat boy.

RED
http://arrena.blogspot.com

Johnny
Charter member
4447 posts
Fri Feb-15-02 11:12 AM

28. "this statement"
In response to Reply # 21

>"Black film is
>missing integrity. And until Black
>film takes a stand, I
>can't make a stand for
>it right now."

hurts his argruments, well maybe not hurts it but i don't agree with this. u can't turn your back on things when their not going the way you think it should. i know he's probably frustrated but still. yeah 85% of "black films" suck

I used to get frustrated with my Nike Airs/They never matched my wears/I used to be in tears/I used to be chillin/I used to roll dice/Nowadays I'm thrillin/My wears are twice as nice

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Fri Feb-15-02 02:12 PM

30. "RE: STATE OF BLACK FILM"
In response to Reply # 0

>So what's his method? Simple. "You
>have to sit up and
>wait till it comes. You
>have to be patient. I'm
>not a millionaire," he says,
>"I have to struggle to
>pay my mortgage, but I
>have integrity and I won't
>pretend to sell crack to
>pay my bills. There's a
>whole lot of crack being
>sold in Hollywood. And the
>actors are the dealers."

If it's like that then they'll never win cause we're certainly losing the drug war.

>
>One such project is Spike Lee's
>proposed Joe Louis bio-pic, which
>Howard was tapped to lead.
>Alas, Howard says "the movie
>may never get made because
>studios aren't offering Lee enough
>green to get it done
>correctly."

DreamWorks SKG. Speilberg, Katzenberg, and Geffen came together to create their own entertainment company. (Movies, Music, Television) Ever since that company was formed about 10 years ago I wondered why the prominent Blacks in H'Wood couldn't do the same thing? Oprah is one of the most powerful women in country and in the entertainment world. Plus she's got the funds. Why can't her, Bill Cosby, Spike Lee, Eddie Murphy, Denzel Washington, Whoopi Goldberg get together and create a company in the vein of Dreamworks? What's stopping them from making entertainment "FUBU"? Is it ego? Everyone wants to do their own thing? If people like that got together they could start making inroads in H'Wood, IMHO.

>"The sad thing is there are
>great actors like Don Cheadle
>and Jeffrey Wright, who was
>treated like an extra in
>'Ali,' who are waiting," Howard
>laments, "But this is what
>happens when you hire rappers
>to do my job. That's
>like sending in Slick Rick
>to fight Tyson. I mean
>I love them if they
>can do it, but .
>. .look at Ice Cube.
>The brother got an opportunity
>to write a film <'Player's [br />>Club'] and he ends up
>perpetuating the same garbage that
>was in his rap. We
>perpetuate this attack on ourselves.
>It's so painful to watch."

I think Isaiah Washington said something similar to this when promoting Romeo Must Die. He was upset that with the talent pool of black actors already being so small (the pool of which casting directors are willing to draw from, not what's actually out there) it gets even smaller cause they're giving roles to rappers now. He worked hard paying his dues (doing stagework and drama classes I presume) to get roles in Hollywood and they're now starting to give them to rappers who can't act. Rappers only know how to play one role. The persona they created for themselves in their rap world. How many rappers have been able to transcend that persona to create a character who isn't a "rapper"?

Last 3 things I watched:

The Changeling Season 1 (Apple+): C
OMITB Season 3 (Hulu): B-
Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

SPADE
Charter member
4745 posts
Sun Feb-17-02 08:00 AM

39. "RE: STATE OF BLACK FILM"
In response to Reply # 30

I agree with you that some of these powerful blacks like Ophrah, Denzel, Goldberg, Lee, Cosby, and a few others should pool together and create an something like Dreamworks. Sure I'm pissed Hollywood is putting out the same garbage but i'm also upset cause we have people in a position that could put out some better works. I wish somebody would ask this question of these big stars. Howcan we expect the hollywood studios to put out some diverse projects when we can't even get black folks with money and power to create independent projects.

Silky1
Charter member
9763 posts
Thu Feb-21-02 12:42 PM

53. "RE: STATE OF BLACK FILM"
In response to Reply # 39

Doesn't Spike have 40 acres and a mule ? Which put out, "Drop Squad",I think they put out"The Best Man", and some other movie that came out years ago. I can't recall what it's called. Oh, "New Jersey Drive". So Spike has done something.

Silk.
Later

silk.later

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Fri Feb-22-02 07:31 AM

56. "RE: STATE OF BLACK FILM"
In response to Reply # 53

Spike has done something. And many of these stars do have their own production company but it's apparent they can't get much done by themselves. Spike has wanted to make a Jackie Robinson biopic, Miles Davis biopic, and some other projects too I'm sure. He just can't get them made cause he can't get enough funding from the majors. Sure he can knock out a '4 little girls' or a 'Bamboozled', cause they were cheaper to make, but he can't get the big bucks. That's why if there was a 'Black Dreamworks'. They can become a force to be reckoned with. They can co-finance with the majors like Dreamworks did in the begining(and still do to some extent)to get their projects done. Doing films with the top Black stars and directors could make H'wood take notice.

>Doesn't Spike have 40 acres and
>a mule ? Which put
>out, "Drop Squad",I think they
>put out"The Best Man", and
>some other movie that came
>out years ago. I can't
>recall what it's called. Oh,
>"New Jersey Drive". So Spike
>has done something.
>
>Silk.
>Later

Last 3 things I watched:

The Changeling Season 1 (Apple+): C
OMITB Season 3 (Hulu): B-
Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

FunkyRenegade
Charter member
1947 posts
Sat Feb-16-02 07:45 AM

34. "Is this the entire article?"
In response to Reply # 0

Mr. Howard's comments about "Black film" come off judgemental and reductive in the context of what I read here...I feel like some arguments are missing from his diatribe.

"We want the funk...gotta have that funk." - Parliament

Vinegar

Sat Feb-16-02 08:06 AM

35. "this is why t. howard is my mufucka!"
In response to Reply # 0

a quality actor. period.

distilledblack
www.smartalecmusic.com www.smartalecmusic.com www.smartalecmusic.com
glitterglistenglossgloss

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Sat Feb-16-02 10:53 AM

37. "basically!"
In response to Reply # 35

>a quality actor. period.
>
>distilledblack
>www.smartalecmusic.com www.smartalecmusic.com www.smartalecmusic.com
>glitterglistenglossgloss

i mean can he just get a salary raise too? liek i dont know several mill a film? can HE be put on the A list now?
RC

--Shakespere

donwill on the internet:

Get Out the Room

morpheme
Charter member
94867 posts
Sat Feb-16-02 09:39 AM

36. "i love he"
In response to Reply # 0

izzattafakt
Charter member
2581 posts
Sun Feb-17-02 10:42 AM

41. "Respect"
In response to Reply # 0

I like that he's holding out for good work...

Also teh comment about rappers was onpoint; some of 'em can act and some of 'em can't, although in Cube's case I did like Dangerous Ground and he was good in Three Kings. His new movie looks like garbage though...

peace

Iz

"I am the IZ equals IZ..."
DOVE

"I don't give a fuck who you are / so fuck who you are"
STYLES

"I'm to(o) fly not to(o) fly"
SAUL WILLIAMS

peace

Iz

jahlove7
Charter member
10743 posts
Sun Feb-17-02 06:00 PM

44. "black hollywood"
In response to Reply # 41

won't see a renaissance until both the writers and directors go the guerilla filmmaking route. that's what got the ball rolling the first time around and that's what kept black film going through the 80's. (remember how hollywood shuffle was made? it wasn't the only film out there) personally, i could give a damn about spike. he screams black pride while he secretly covets white acceptance. there are too many great directors out there (julie dash, charles burnett among many others) that don't get the exposure. directors that are qualified to make films about the black experience without "niggerizing" them. but of course, we won't see this until black actors and actresses stop sucking hollywood's tit long enough to take a stand and TRULY perfect their crafts. actors and actresses like cheadle, michael beach, n'bushe, lorenze tate and so on have to be pushed to make a great film. what? you think people like paul newman just waltzed into the studio, said his lines and left? maybe with his subpar shit, but not his classic stuff.

inaugural member - okayplayer sports hall of fame.

what i'm digging right now:

chocolate butterfly - self-titled
laura jane - welcome to my planet boo
me & this japanese guy - waiting for the miracle
wade3 - dreams
tracey amos - who are we really?

qtpi6
Charter member
1763 posts
Mon Feb-18-02 06:31 AM

46. "^"
In response to Reply # 0

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Mon Feb-18-02 06:39 AM

47. "hey!"
In response to Reply # 46

how are you doing?
Ryan

--Shakespere

donwill on the internet:

Get Out the Room

spirit
Charter member
21442 posts
Tue Feb-19-02 09:33 PM

48. "he speaks truth"
In response to Reply # 0

but let's strategize...surely he and others can put some money together to produce some more cutting edge black film? i mean, it may take 20 people putting it all on the line, but hey, who else is gonna finance change?

ps: everybody make sure to catch 'lumumba' when it hits HBO...great black film.

Thoughtfully yours,

Spirit Equality

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)

HotThyng76
Charter member
51232 posts
Thu Feb-21-02 01:28 PM

54. "Yeah."
In response to Reply # 48

1. 20 producers on one film would lead to nothing but a big ol' heaping mess, cuz that's 20 cooks in one kitchen. When ppl put their money in something, they feel they should have some element of control.

2. Even if the 20 managed to make the film, they'd have to go to Hollywood to get it distributed - if they wanted it reach a large # of ppl.

3. If they manage to distribute it on their own, they have to compete w/the big studios for screen space. There are only so many screens in the country - in the major theaters, that is. Of course they could make their movie and take it around to the smaller, independent movie houses, but those are drying up daily. Those that are around aren't tied into local marketing channels well enough to reach mass audiences - or they don't have the physical capacity to deal w/mass audiences.

4. They'd have a hell of a time getting any press coverage for the film b/c the press is in bed w/the studios.

It could be done....sure.

Silky1
Charter member
9763 posts
Thu Feb-21-02 01:44 PM

55. "RE: Yeah."
In response to Reply # 54

>4. They'd have a hell of
>a time getting any press
>coverage for the film b/c
>the press is in bed
>w/the studios.
>
>

ROTFL !!!! That's the best way of putting that. And the way my mind works,I have serious visual of how that would look. Could make for a great parody in a film. LOL!!!!

Silk.
Later

silk.later

FunkyRenegade
Charter member
1947 posts
Sat Feb-23-02 09:22 AM

57. "One more comment:"
In response to Reply # 0

Posts like this one make me feel that we African Americans are akin to children in terms of how we evaluate our representations in society.

A story isn't "bad" or group-destructive because its conventions include criminal activity or deviant subject matter - IT'S WHAT YOU DO with the conventions that counts.

In my opinion, Terence Howard has played "the nigger" in a Hollywood feature film at least once.

It fascinates me to see that some of us who complain the loudest about the "nigger" issue can often be the ones who function most like niggers when you analyze their words and/or actions in terms of the overall circumstances of African Americans - or simply over a specific period of time.

ENJOY DETROIT MUSIC!

http://www.renaissance-soul.com
http://www.planet-e.net

HATERS (C) P-Diddy

FunkyRenegade
Charter member
1947 posts
Sat Feb-23-02 04:51 PM

58. "For example"
In response to Reply # 57

Spike Lee's Malcolm X didn't work too well for me because it felt like he tried to make it fit into the Hollywood tradition of biopics of Western icons, up to and including his making X appear defeated as well as doomed up to the film's end.

But that aside, just as Amiri Baraka publicly anticipated, the film deals very heavily in Malcolm's hustler life, including depictions of drug abuse, pimping, random street crime activities and a white woman kissing Malcolm's feet, as well as scenes of murder. Did Black people protest the Malcolm movie? Why not? Was it not "big" enough? Was it "nigger" enough?

Perhaps the film's last third dealing with Malcolm X in the Nation and after his leaving it cancelled out the "nigger" qualities of its earlier third or so that depicted Malcolm as a hustler. This is just some food for thought.

ENJOY DETROIT MUSIC!

http://www.renaissance-soul.com
http://www.planet-e.net

HATERS (C) P-Diddy

braidzzz
Charter member
393 posts
Fri Mar-01-02 09:27 AM

59. "RE: STATE OF BLACK FILM"
In response to Reply # 0

The man is absolutely right! But I think you have the STUDIOS and Hollywood SUITS to blame for that....they do alot of the greenlighting & funding

He's a talented cat, no doubt....I'd love to work with him one day....If I can just get FUNDING for my scripts.....

Peace, love & bacon grease

http://mahoganywriter.freeservers.com

"Come on be my baby tonight...come on be my baby tonight...I seen the way you treated otha thugs you been wit....come on be my baby tonight" - David from the REAL WORLD (New Orleans)

"Oh, Rock Berry, Rock Berry, Rock Berry...jam, jam, jam, jam-jam" - LA Dream Team

"You want me to crawl? White mutha f&*#&a!!!" - Pam Grier in "Coffy"
*~* Peace, love & bacon grease *~*

jvictoria
Charter member
8620 posts
Fri Mar-01-02 10:45 AM

60. "could we get a really good film about black women?"
In response to Reply # 0

like, post color purple. that was 17 years ago.

love makes your soul crawl out from its hiding place ~ Zora

jazmyni
Charter member
7 posts
Sat Mar-09-02 12:39 PM

61. "Did Yall' see"
In response to Reply # 60

Terrance Howard in the Ashanti video? what you make of that?

jvictoria
Charter member
8620 posts
Sat Mar-09-02 02:35 PM

62. "i like him with hair"
In response to Reply # 61

he's cuter without the pale bald head thing happening
other than that, the video concept was *yawn*

love makes your soul crawl out from its hiding place ~ Zora

Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #16099 Previous topic | Next topic