Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #14447

Subject: "Ghost World" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Mynoriti
Charter member
38815 posts
Wed Jun-19-02 11:29 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Ghost World"

I cant stop watching this movie!

I dont even know what to say about it. its a very simple, deep, funny, sad, subtle etc... movie

And Buscemi as always is the fucken man! and i feel gives one of his best performances ever

This movie gives me hope

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Ghost World
Jun 19th 2002
Sir
Jun 19th 2002
      RE: Sir
Jun 19th 2002
      RE: Sir
Jun 19th 2002
           no she isn't.
Jun 20th 2002
                i was saying that she was cute.
Jun 21st 2002
Good Flick...
Jun 19th 2002
Someone explain the ending to me
Jun 20th 2002
Spoiler
Jun 20th 2002
      Thanks!
Jun 20th 2002
      I thought she was just fulfilling her dream
Jun 21st 2002
           well, you know
Jun 21st 2002
           I took it the same way...
Jun 21st 2002
I need help
Jun 21st 2002
you're in the wrong state of mind.
Jun 21st 2002
RE: you're in the wrong state of mind.
Jun 25th 2002
RE: I need help
Jun 23rd 2002
RE: Ghost World
Jun 21st 2002
and the video
Jun 21st 2002
Depressing as shit
Jun 21st 2002
up
Jul 02nd 2002

actualfact
Charter member
5679 posts
Wed Jun-19-02 11:39 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "RE: Ghost World"
In response to Reply # 0

I rented this (and Big Lebowski) last night and loved it...great performances all around. Buscemi was great. The dude w/ the farmer tan was killing me.

and yes, the girls could both get it...something fierce

"Cats are still using the same five curse words. If you take out 'shit,' 'bitch,' 'nigga,' murder,' and 'killa,' (the)mother-fuckin' record would sound like an instrumental!"
-MF Doom

"The payoff is much sweeter than the payback"
-Dave

Mynoriti
Charter member
38815 posts
Wed Jun-19-02 11:50 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Sir"
In response to Reply # 1
Wed Jun-19-02 11:51 AM

how do you not OWN Big Lebowski?? thats just not right

>and yes, the girls could both get it...something fierce

yeah that Scarlett Johansson from The Man who Wasnt There is cute as hell (though im not sure she's even legal yet)

Thora Birch, her breasts are way different sizes(check American Beauty) but yeah i guess i still would lol

actualfact
Charter member
5679 posts
Wed Jun-19-02 02:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "RE: Sir"
In response to Reply # 2

the funny thing is, i just saw Lebowski for the first time, about two weeks ago. yeah, call me late
now, i'm waiting until i get back from spain and have my dvd player again to buy a copy.

i've been watching it incessantly over the last two days

i'm sure scarlett johanssen is legal..and i'm sure she can get it...

thora seems stacked regardless

"Cats are still using the same five curse words. If you take out 'shit,' 'bitch,' 'nigga,' murder,' and 'killa,' (the)mother-fuckin' record would sound like an instrumental!"
-MF Doom

"The payoff is much sweeter than the payback"
-Dave

WaxLablTabler
Charter member
16329 posts
Wed Jun-19-02 05:43 PM

4. "RE: Sir"
In response to Reply # 2

>yeah that Scarlett Johansson from The Man who Wasnt There is
>cute as hell (though im not sure she's even legal yet)

yeah she is

be Good.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2n8vg29.png
(by a guy named Wes Whaley http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culturepicturegalleries/8779317/Light-paintings-by-Wes-Whaley.html )

teapoetess
Charter member
20852 posts
Thu Jun-20-02 08:29 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "no she isn't."
In response to Reply # 4

she was born in '84. that makes her, what... 17?

http://postbourgie.com
http://stacialbrown.wordpress.com

WaxLablTabler
Charter member
16329 posts
Fri Jun-21-02 09:19 AM

13. "i was saying that she was cute."
In response to Reply # 6

not legal. and neither am i so it dont matter.

be Good.

(by a guy named Wes Whaley http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culturepicturegalleries/8779317/Light-paintings-by-Wes-Whaley.html )

al_sharp
Charter member
64140 posts
Wed Jun-19-02 07:14 PM

5. "Good Flick..."
In response to Reply # 0

...and I agree...they can "get it."

I sit and stare and zone out...I think a lot and never sleep...create memories to remember...and then I forget to eat.
--Sage Francis

I ain't all that articulate.
--Fonsworth

aim: cflartey

http://charlesonlymusic.bandcamp.com
http://soundcloud.com/charlesonlymusic
http://theyesyesyalls.com
http://twitter.com/shamelessplug
http://instagram.com/charlesonly

DubSpt
Charter member
13933 posts
Thu Jun-20-02 09:20 AM

7. "Someone explain the ending to me"
In response to Reply # 0

I liked the whole movie (tampon in a teacup had me rolling) but I just didnt understand the ending.

SPOILER (but then if you read the title of this post you prolly knew I would spoil it, and eff it if you havent seen it yet i should have the write to spoil it.)
Ok, so that old man waits for years to catch a bus, but then she gets there and waits for a couple of minutes and it shows up. What? someone please clue me in.

- Dub

I give rappers the biz for being m-izza-a-archaic.

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Thu Jun-20-02 09:48 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "Spoiler"
In response to Reply # 7

David Denby ends his review by saying that the film "even suggests that she (Enid) has a destiny, and this is an unwelcome surprise, since most of us would wish no other future for Enid the brilliant comic-book invention but to be herself, a hilariously morose teen-ager, forever and ever." Now, admittedly, Denby was contrasting the world of film with the world of comic books, and saying that the film created a "psychologically accountable" world that the comic book did not. So I see his point. But I fundamentally disagree with him that the film suggests that she has a future. To me, the film suggests that she kills herself. And I don't know how Denby would have come out on the ending if he had interpreted it as I did.

More here: http://www.okayplayer.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=4056&forum=concert&omm=23&viewmode=threaded

~~~~

~ ~ ~
All meetings end in separation
All acquisition ends in dispersion
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

Every hundred years, all new people

Mynoriti
Charter member
38815 posts
Thu Jun-20-02 11:55 AM

9. "Thanks!"
In response to Reply # 8

for putting up the archive link. There were some great posts.

I guess im a little late with this flick but better late than never!

johnny_domino
Charter member
17027 posts
Fri Jun-21-02 03:33 AM

10. "I thought she was just fulfilling her dream"
In response to Reply # 8

Of going off somewhere without telling anybody, just packing up and leaving, her "#1 fantasy", like she says to Seymour. But maybe I'm just too literal.

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Fri Jun-21-02 05:20 AM

11. "well, you know"
In response to Reply # 10

David Denby is a pretty smart guy, he writes movie reviews for a living (in part), he's well educated and well read, and he thought the same thing as you. The reason that I thought this was about suicide was: The bus stop had been discontinued, and the only person who waited there throughout the film was someone who was presented to the audience as someone who was out of touch with reality and rather hopeless. I guess also the fact that I didn't really see beyond the horizon for Enid and had a hard time figuring out even where she would go once her options had been cut off...

But you know, art is certainly subject to interpretation...

~~~~~

~ ~ ~
All meetings end in separation
All acquisition ends in dispersion
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

Every hundred years, all new people

Mynoriti
Charter member
38815 posts
Fri Jun-21-02 10:24 AM

16. "I took it the same way..."
In response to Reply # 10

that Enid was just fullfilling her fantasy, but the bus stop being discontued i guess was Zwigoff & Clowes way of leaving the ending open to interpretation.

and im glad that they didnt go with the origonal ending with Seymour hanging himself. I liked the whole thing with his mother asking what he wants for dinner and the shrink having that "god what a loser" face when he left

8thlight
Charter member
15497 posts
Fri Jun-21-02 05:31 AM

12. "I need help"
In response to Reply # 0

Could someone explain this movie to me? A while back I read the post that I think is now archived about this movie. It got tons of glowing reviews and tons of people thought it was funny. So I tried to rent it and it would never be in. Finally I was able to get it on pay-per-view and it was a huge disappointment. I couldn't stand Enid and I thought she was a serious jerk and I, to this day don't get the ending. The laughs in this thing were nonexistent.

"The only profitable form of writing, is ransom notes" - ?

"Quiet people aren't the only ones who don't say much." - Bazooka Joe

"It's tough to get up at 5 o'clock in the morning, when you're sleeping in silk pajamas." - Marvelous Marvin Hagler

There are two shapes now moving
Two ghosts that drift and glide
And which of them to tackle
Each rival must decide
They moved with spectral swiftness
Across the swarded range
And one of them's a shadow
And one of them is Grange
-Grantland rice

My legend precedes me, the way lightening precedes thunder.

http://trakt.tv/users/8thlight

@TheH0MIE

WaxLablTabler
Charter member
16329 posts
Fri Jun-21-02 09:21 AM

14. "you're in the wrong state of mind."
In response to Reply # 12
Fri Jun-21-02 09:22 AM

come back when you are jaded, disillusioned, worldweary, depressed and/or disenchanted. it will make so much more sense to you when you can be described with one of these adjectives or one similar to them.

be Good.

8thlight
Charter member
15497 posts
Tue Jun-25-02 12:43 PM

20. "RE: you're in the wrong state of mind."
In response to Reply # 14

>come back when you are jaded, disillusioned, worldweary,
>depressed and/or disenchanted. it will make so much more
>sense to you when you can be described with one of these
>adjectives or one similar to them.

I actually am those things and more, it's just that Enid was such a bitch. It's one thing to be all of those things, it's another to take that out on others.

"The only profitable form of writing, is ransom notes" - ?

"Quiet people aren't the only ones who don't say much." - Bazooka Joe

"It's tough to get up at 5 o'clock in the morning, when you're sleeping in silk pajamas." - Marvelous Marvin Hagler

There are two shapes now moving
Two ghosts that drift and glide
And which of them to tackle
Each rival must decide
They moved with spectral swiftness
Across the swarded range
And one of them's a shadow
And one of them is Grange
-Grantland rice

My legend precedes me, the way lightening precedes thunder.

http://trakt.tv/users/8thlight

@TheH0MIE

Mynoriti
Charter member
38815 posts
Sun Jun-23-02 05:32 PM

19. "RE: I need help"
In response to Reply # 12

it might be the most realistic movie ive ever seen

tqazi
Charter member
45 posts
Fri Jun-21-02 09:36 AM

15. "RE: Ghost World"
In response to Reply # 0

I loved the movie...and you know one of the funniest parts of the movie was cut out...in the deleated scenes on the DVD:

"Man, I'd show you the 2 second kill, but I don't have the time!" -Doug

that's a classic quote man...classic..

T2daP
Charter member
9061 posts
Fri Jun-21-02 10:39 AM

17. "and the video"
In response to Reply # 15

Jaan Pehechaan Ho! *shakes*

lmao

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Aja (trianglist extrodinare) © Foley

2003 where will it be?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Guaranteed To Kill Your Post or Your Money Back

Pete
Charter member
6568 posts
Fri Jun-21-02 01:57 PM

18. "Depressing as shit"
In response to Reply # 0

I went to bed right after it finished, at like 9 pm on a Saturday. I'm not sure why it had such a profound effect, I'll have to see it again. And for some reason I remeber the colour as sticking out, but I don't know why I think that either.

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Tue Jul-02-02 04:48 PM

21. "up"
In response to Reply # 0

'cause the dumbass moderator missed archiving the last discussion on this film- and there could be more to say

shock
dumbass reviews moderator

Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #14447 Previous topic | Next topic