Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #14311

Subject: "Sam Jackson says Rappers shouldn't act" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Mon Jul-22-02 06:02 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Sam Jackson says Rappers shouldn't act"

and I agree. Isaiah Washington said something similar when Romeo Must Die came out. Unless the person has "chops" they shouldn't be getting lead roles in movies.

From ew.com:
Bad Rap

Samuel L. Jackson disses rappers-turned-actors. The ''Star Wars'' Jedi resents the trend of hip-hoppers taking roles away from trained thespians or working alongside established movie actors like himself by Gary Susman

AFFIRMATIVE ACTION Jackson derides the current ''rappers who act'' trend

Samuel L. Jackson costarred with rapper Eve on the upcoming film ''XXX,'' but don't think he was too happy about it. In fact, he tells the Sacramento Bee, he so resents acting alongside rappers that he won't even read scripts for movies where rappers are being considered for lead roles. ''To take people from the music world and give them the same kind of credibility and weight that you give me, Morgan Freeman, Laurence Fishburne, Forest Whitaker -- that's like an aberration to me; you just can't do that,'' he says. ''It's not my job to lend credibility to so-and-so rapper who's just coming into the business.''

Jackson especially loathes the idea that rappers are taking roles from theater-trained thespians like himself or lesser-known trained actors. ''I know there's some young actor sitting in New York or in L.A. who's spent half of his life learning how to act and sacrificing to learn his craft but isn't going to get his opportunity ... because of some actor who's been created -- and you can use the word 'actor' loosely,'' he says.

Still, Jackson has appeared in movies where rappers held supporting roles, including ''Sphere'' (with Queen Latifah), ''Deep Blue Sea'' (with LL Cool J), and ''Shaft'' (with Busta Rhymes). And he even musters kind words for one rapper-turned-actor, Will Smith. Smith's role in ''Ali,'' for which he became the first rapper nominated for an acting Oscar, ''takes him out of that Fresh-Prince-is-saving-the-world-as-an-Air-Force-pilot thing and gives him some credibility as an actor,'' Jackson says. Nonetheless, he says of rappers, ''They do what they do, we do what we do. I don't think you can take your average rapper and put him in 'Changing Lanes' and it would be the same movie.''

If it's any consolation, some rappers feel the same way. On its new song, ''Playa Hata Degree,'' the duo MaddWest raps, ''I hate all these rappers in movies that shouldn't be actin'/Except for Will Smith, and that cat shouldn't be rappin'.''

Last 3 things I watched:

The Changeling Season 1 (Apple+): C
OMITB Season 3 (Hulu): B-
Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
DoesntHaveAnyClout.
Jul 22nd 2002
RE: DoesntHaveAnyClout.
Jul 23rd 2002
      YesItDid.
Jul 24th 2002
           Well in that case...
Jul 24th 2002
Sam is the man
Jul 22nd 2002
RE: Sam is the man
Jul 22nd 2002
Jul 22nd 2002
that would be Hill Harper
Jul 22nd 2002
      RE: that would be Hill Harper
Jul 22nd 2002
      Spike's argument
Jul 22nd 2002
           RE: Spike's argument
Jul 22nd 2002
           what about stunt doubles?
Jul 23rd 2002
           you know that inevitable shot in hoop movies
Jul 23rd 2002
           LoveAndBasketball.
Jul 24th 2002
      who could easily
Jul 22nd 2002
      RE: that would be Hill Harper
Jul 23rd 2002
Mos wasn't convincing to me...
Jul 22nd 2002
Jul 24th 2002
Questions
Jul 22nd 2002
RE: Questions
Jul 22nd 2002
he takes himself too seriously
Jul 22nd 2002
I agree
Jul 22nd 2002
I dissagree
Jul 22nd 2002
      Nahhh
Jul 22nd 2002
reading between the lines
Jul 22nd 2002
but what's the ratio of white rappers to blk rappers???
Jul 22nd 2002
      Rock stars to
Jul 23rd 2002
           m'sayin
Jul 24th 2002
RE: Sam Jackson says Rappers shouldn't act
Jul 22nd 2002
Jul 22nd 2002
Jul 22nd 2002
Jul 22nd 2002
best part of article
Jul 22nd 2002
phonte says crackheads shouldn't act
Jul 22nd 2002
he's right, of course
Jul 22nd 2002
RE: he's right, of course
Jul 22nd 2002
Jul 22nd 2002
that's my point
Jul 22nd 2002
Jul 22nd 2002
Jul 23rd 2002
A historical perspecitve
Jul 22nd 2002
its true
Jul 22nd 2002
a good actor should act...
Jul 22nd 2002
havin had read the article...
Jul 22nd 2002
Jul 23rd 2002
will smith touched on this
Jul 23rd 2002
why stop there?
Jul 24th 2002

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36966 posts
Mon Jul-22-02 06:11 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "DoesntHaveAnyClout."
In response to Reply # 0

The question starts at: Why do studios continue to sign 'rappers' to movie roles?

Answer: $$$$$$ at the box office.

Think about it...Buta Rhymes in Halloween, JaRule in Fast and the Furious (and the sequel), there are people that are going to these movies JUST to see their favorite MC spit 3 lines in the first 3 minutes. Much better than casting Johnny No-Name from Idaho who's a great actor, but doesn't have any clout for a name. It sucks, but that's how it is.

Same goes for all these feature length cartoons. Can't have Betty Who's-That play the voice of the curious cat, it's gotta be Cameron Diaz, Jennifer Aniston or Julia Roberts. Think about it, would you have gone to see Shrek if Mike Meyers, Eddie Murphy, Cameron Diaz and John Lithgow weren't in it (well, maybe not John Lithgow)?

So in a sense, I kinda agree with Sam Jackson because I don't care for this new trend either.

https://digife.com

Mikedef2001
Member since May 31st 2003
0 posts
Tue Jul-23-02 09:11 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
37. "RE: DoesntHaveAnyClout."
In response to Reply # 1

Your second point was retarded, it had nothing to do with the first

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36966 posts
Wed Jul-24-02 01:49 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
43. "YesItDid."
In response to Reply # 37

Yes it did.

I was simply stating that the name (or the aura) of the well known celebrity was selling the picture. If you can't see the relevance, you sir are the retared one.

AZNThought_Pt_III
Charter member
369 posts
Wed Jul-24-02 03:50 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via ICQ
47. "Well in that case..."
In response to Reply # 43

your point was poorly backed because I'm sure a lot of people didn't see shrek because of the voices. That's a retarded notion.

"I just wanna tape you...
all night"

jvictoria
Charter member
8620 posts
Mon Jul-22-02 06:55 AM

2. "Sam is the man"
In response to Reply # 0

he's absolutely right
especially since rappers are usually used in movies to add an
"urban" or "gritty" feel
but they suck as actors
with a few exceptions that don't come to mind right now.
oh...puffy was good in monster's ball...

JDubb
Charter member
479 posts
Mon Jul-22-02 07:24 AM

5. "RE: Sam is the man"
In response to Reply # 2

Come puff daddy didn't do shit, but die in monster's ball. Mos acting was better than his. If you ask me Mos is the only rapper right now that should be considered for roles. If Dmx takes it serious and takes more acting classes he can have a better impact than most actors(like Pac). Also it it depends on what kind of movie it is because a lot of movies rappers don't have to act just be themelves. Really the transition from music to acting is understandable because rappers are telling stories trough music, and making there videos be the visual aspect of it. Just like people writing books, and then doin the a movie about it. Wonder what he thought when he played in Juice a truck load of rappers was in that.

raool
Member since Jul 10th 2002
12355 posts
Mon Jul-22-02 07:47 AM

9. "RE: Sam is the man"
In response to Reply # 5

Puffy wasn't that bad. He was convincing.
Like many posters said, it's all about the $$$.
If they are gonna have one token black actor,
they might as well go for a known face.
I remember how horrible Ray Allen was in "He got game"
and one of the supporting actors had a master's degree
in theater at Yale and he had a small role.

SankofaII
Charter member
30751 posts
Mon Jul-22-02 08:17 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "that would be Hill Harper"
In response to Reply # 9

he was Booger well he has degrees from brown and harvard...crazy aint it? save for The Visit and City Of Angels, you havent seen him i much...

same goes for Roger Guenveur Smith (the drug dealer/kingpin in he got game) phd from yale talented actor yet how often do we see him??

its a sad state in hollywood right now...if you arent an actor or singer you can FORGET doing movies at this moment in time.

RC

Get Out the Room
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/get-out-the-room/id525657893

Some of y'all need this in your life: http://www.psychology.com

JDubb
Charter member
479 posts
Mon Jul-22-02 09:53 AM

16. "RE: that would be Hill Harper"
In response to Reply # 13

Could booger play Ray Allen's part. That's my point people want to see movies that are real some times under the circumstances. If you have a movie about a 6'5 guard's life in basketball. Do you cast booger as that guy? Or the best acting and believable basketball player you can find?

REDeye
Charter member
6598 posts
Mon Jul-22-02 10:14 AM

18. "Spike's argument"
In response to Reply # 16

was that he needed the basketball portion to be more believable than what you usually see in sports dramas. In this instance, I'd say I agree with him. Too often in sports movies, it's just so hard to buy the story because the actors can't pull off the game.

You can get actors to play well enough for some weekend pickup games, or even something like White Men Can't Jump. But Spike was really concerned that this story about a top recruit have a player who you'd believe was a top recruit.

Generally speaking, we all can recognize top sports athletes better than we can spot top acting talent, so for something like this it's better to try to get an athlete to deliver his lines right than to get an actor to be convincing as top hoop star.

This is theory anyway, and Spike's argument as he presented around the time of the movie.

You have to judge for yourself whether or not he made the right choice.

But Hill Harper ain't but about 5'5", so it wasn't gonna be him.

RED
Ora et labora

RED
http://arrena.blogspot.com

raool
12355 posts
Mon Jul-22-02 10:53 AM

21. "RE: Spike's argument"
In response to Reply # 18

thanks for the corrections. I guess only a real basketball player coulda played the role but he still sucked.
Yeah, I never see those 2 dudes except Smith in many Spike lee movies. Thanks God, there's OZ for black actors. I won't get in the jail issue....

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Tue Jul-23-02 08:45 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
36. "what about stunt doubles?"

i mean, they don't hire real assassins to play assassins...LOL.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

REDeye
Charter member
6598 posts
Tue Jul-23-02 10:09 AM

38. "you know that inevitable shot in hoop movies"
In response to Reply # 36

the star finally takes a shot?

All the audience is sitting there thinking, "if the camera cuts to the ball going in the hoop, we know he didn't really shoot that."

Same with stunt doubles. To wit:

EXT. HOOP COURT - DAY

CLOSE ON Johnny Hoop Star

as he takes the ball out, starting his dribble at half court. Denzel chooses to play off him, maybe force him left. Johnny drives him back to the top of the key, where

DENZEL swipes at the ball. Johnny pulls back.

CUT TO:

WIDE SHOT

Johnny (or at least we assume its him, but it's too far to see his face) goes into his killer crossover.

CUT TO:

CLOSE UP of Johnny's face. He's working up a sweat from all the frantic dribbling, that we can't see in this shot.

CUT TO:

CLOSE ON Johnny's hands, dribbling between the legs, behind the back, everywhere but up high, so we can't see his face.

CUT TO:

MEDIUM SHOT of Johnny drabbling past Denzel, thanks to all the fancy dribbling his stunt double did. He makes the easy lay up (on the third take).

It's that sort of thing Spike wanted to avoid. I just think he should have found a better acting hoop player. What would have been cool would have been having an open casting call for college athletes to actually audition for the role, with hoop tryouts as well as acting tryouts.

I agreed with Spike trying to get someone with hoop skills, but I know someone had to be able to act better than Ray.

RED
Ora et labora

RED

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36966 posts
Wed Jul-24-02 01:51 AM

44. "LoveAndBasketball."

Too often in sports
>movies, it's just so hard to buy the story because the
>actors can't pull off the game.

Exactly. Example? Love and Basketball.

Zesi
Charter member
24062 posts
Mon Jul-22-02 03:34 PM

30. "who could easily"

have my babies...

oh...that's off subject.

eldealo
Charter member
10110 posts
Tue Jul-23-02 08:10 AM

35. "RE: that would be Hill Harper"

hill harper is pretty cool. i've seen a few of his movies. i think he is talented.

"Rhythm is the architecture of being, the inner dynamic that gives it form, the pure expression of the life force. Rhythm is the vibratory shock, the force which, through our senses, grips us at the root of our being. It is expressed through corporeal and sensual means; through lines, surfaces, colors, and volumes in architecture, sculpture, or painting; through accents in poetry and music, through movements in the dance. But doing this, rhythm turn all these concrete things toward the light of the spirit. In the degree to which rhythm is sensuously embodied, it illuminates the spirit...Only rhythm gives the word its effective fullness; it is the word of God, that is, the rhythmic word, that created the world."
- from African Poet Leopold Senghor

-------------------------------------------
INFIN8 Photography
http://www.instagram.com/infin8photo
http://www.facebook.com/INFIN8Photography

The3rdOne
Charter member
9105 posts
Mon Jul-22-02 09:55 AM

17. "Mos wasn't convincing to me..."
In response to Reply # 5

He did a good job in that flick, but he spoke too fast for a southern accent. Mos still can act his ass off...he has studied.

A_London_Ting
Charter member
216 posts
Wed Jul-24-02 03:40 AM

46. "RE: Sam is the man"
In response to Reply # 2

I find rappers are almost always cast as criminals or thugs and are allowing themselves to be represented in the stereotypicle roles. The movie makers recognise the popularity and influence of hip hop culture on the youth and will milk it for what it's worth. If Eminem is selling however 10s of millions of albums and only half of those people pay to watch a movie in which he stars, you can be certain to make loads of money. I see it as just another attempt to exploit the popularity of hip hop, but it is not only resticted to hip hop, artists of all genres have been known to act in major films.

blue23
Charter member
8341 posts
Mon Jul-22-02 07:06 AM

3. "Questions"
In response to Reply # 0

1 - Mentioned in the article but LL and Busta both in Sam Jack movies was this what rubbed him wrong?

2 - Sam's roles have gotten so Deniro type-cast that I think someone who could do a decent Sam Jack impression COULD step into one of his movies and things would stay the same.

3 - I agree with him but I wish he and his list of "thespians" would make some good movies themselves and stop worrying about what everyone else is doing.

BTW

smellen
Member since Jun 14th 2002
523 posts
Mon Jul-22-02 07:10 AM

4. "RE: Questions"
In response to Reply # 3

i think that he is referring to rappers who step up into lead roles, not really supporting stuff.

so, that would lead to him being in roles with rappers, just so long as they're in a supporting role, not the lead role.........

anyone else pick up on that?

miss ellen

http://www.smellen.com - outdated, find me on facebook now

AZ
Charter member
12930 posts
Mon Jul-22-02 07:26 AM

6. "he takes himself too seriously"
In response to Reply # 0

movies are about making money. if more people are going to pay to watch a movie with a rapper acting in it, than not, why would movie studios not want to cast the rapper?

Mongo Slade
Member since Jun 28th 2002
2745 posts
Mon Jul-22-02 07:30 AM

7. "I agree"
In response to Reply # 0

....rappers/singers should not act...and if they are let them make their own movies together like Belly....

In Romeo must die you could see the difference in acting skill between Alyiah and Isiah Washington.....

http://mephonics.com/

Robnsu
Member since Jul 04th 2002
109 posts
Mon Jul-22-02 07:34 AM

8. "I dissagree"
In response to Reply # 7

Sounds like Sam Jackson trying to make sure he still can get a role. If he said that well I think actors shouldn't rap like will smith.

Mongo Slade
Member since Jun 28th 2002
2745 posts
Mon Jul-22-02 10:35 AM

19. "Nahhh"
In response to Reply # 8

I don't think Sam Jackson would have a problem getting work these dayz.....he has an audience....whatever movie he's in people are gonna check him out...

http://mephonics.com/

REDeye
Charter member
6598 posts
Mon Jul-22-02 07:49 AM

10. "reading between the lines"
In response to Reply # 0

How many white actors are losing roles to rappers?

I appreciate that he didn't blatantly pull the race card, but it's there nonetheless. Black actors have it hard enough breaking in without having to compete against non-actors.

But, yeah, it's a marketing issue.

RED
Ora et labora

RED

morpheme
Charter member
94867 posts
Mon Jul-22-02 05:17 PM

32. "but what's the ratio of white rappers to blk rappers???"
In response to Reply # 10

†holy smokes & jesus†

www.uppitynegress.gov

MisterGrump
Charter member
32144 posts
Tue Jul-23-02 10:17 AM

39. "Rock stars to"
In response to Reply # 32

White Movie Stars is more appropriate.

morpheme
Charter member
94867 posts
Wed Jul-24-02 02:29 AM

45. "m'sayin"
In response to Reply # 39

†holy smokes & jesus†

www.uppitynegress.gov

Mr Red
Charter member
7241 posts
Mon Jul-22-02 08:08 AM

11. "RE: Sam Jackson says Rappers shouldn't act"
In response to Reply # 0

Why are black men over 50 so goddamn bitter?

he should be happy that niggas is gettin actin roles.......

------------------------------
Now lets take a moment to ponder the depth, brilliance, and emotional gravity of Mr Reds above statement.

Shaun_G
Charter member
3009 posts
Mon Jul-22-02 08:16 AM

12. "RE: Sam Jackson says Rappers shouldn't act"
In response to Reply # 11

He didn't say that White people should get roles over rappers, he said rappers shouldn't get roles over Black actors.

What Blacks who only act aren't niggas?

Shaun G. --- that last line sounds dumb but I'm leaving it in anyway.

Mr Red
Charter member
7241 posts
Mon Jul-22-02 08:23 AM

14. "RE: Sam Jackson says Rappers shouldn't act"
In response to Reply # 11

Well he is making it sound like rappers are taking food outta some extra prolific denzel classically trained type nigga...where is the proof? Its not like someone looked at the script for a deep blue sea, or a halloween or a fast and the .....and said there just GOTTA be a black in this role, they bring in these kats cuz rappers have more charisma and appeal than alot of folk

Now lets take a moment to ponder the depth, brilliance, and emotional gravity of Mr Reds above statement.

raool
12355 posts
Mon Jul-22-02 10:58 AM

22. "RE: Sam Jackson says Rappers shouldn't act"
In response to Reply # 14

The thing that the rappers are taking food out of the real actors'plates. It's not the rappers'fault per say but it's due to the fact that middle America can only withstand one black person at a time. If there are more than one, it could get all counfusing and stuff. So, in order to make it easier, they just get a familiar face. The fact that so many untrained actors get roles show how much some directors don't really care about real representation of blacks in the movies. The rappers jkust serve as props anyways.

SugarCane
Charter member
12416 posts
Mon Jul-22-02 08:45 AM

15. "best part of article"
In response to Reply # 0

>If it's any consolation, some rappers feel the same way. On
>its new song, ''Playa Hata Degree,'' the duo MaddWest raps,
>''I hate all these rappers in movies that shouldn't be
>actin'/Except for Will Smith, and that cat shouldn't be
>rappin'.''

they got that right. will smith should NOT be rappin'.

taygravy
Charter member
6656 posts
Mon Jul-22-02 10:38 AM

20. "phonte says crackheads shouldn't act"
In response to Reply # 15

www.theforeignexchangemusic.com

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Mon Jul-22-02 11:02 AM

23. "he's right, of course"
In response to Reply # 0

and all those people who responded with "he should be happy that niggas are getting acting roles at all" are compete morons.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

Mr Red
Charter member
7241 posts
Mon Jul-22-02 11:13 AM

24. "RE: he's right, of course"
In response to Reply # 23

I guess that moron was me huh? eat a fat one, i was saying that some of those roles woulda went to a cracka cuz some of those rappers roles were tailored for the particular rapper..Could a white person have been in Independence Day, Eves role in XXX, or in Halloween? And another thing: its not like Mr Cheeks is gonna be starring in Othello anytime soon. Some of these rapper roles are shitty at best

raool
12355 posts
Mon Jul-22-02 11:18 AM

25. "RE: he's right, of course"
In response to Reply # 24

>Some of these rapper roles are shitty at best

Well, that's the point. They are just being used as props...

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Mon Jul-22-02 11:30 AM

26. "that's my point"

"half the rapper's roles are shitty"

people like to argue that the "real" actors are just angry and jealous because rappers are getting the work, but what they don't realize is the way the influence of the "raptors" shapes the industry.

rappers invariably play rappers, drug dealers, criminals, athletes, or some other variation of their public persona. it's fair to say that they rarely actually "act" in these roles. like you said, nobody is casting a rapper as Othello... nobody is casting a rapper as Nat King Cole.

in an industry where star power decides which films get made, when all the black movie stars are rappers, it means we're only gonna see certain types of black characters and certain types of films. and that is NOT a good thing.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

TruOne
Member since Jun 29th 2002
14276 posts
Mon Jul-22-02 11:39 AM

27. "RE: he's right, of course"

>Some of these rapper roles are shitty at best

HAHAHAHA I just found myself a new qoute!

- - - Begin Sig. - - -

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is that little voice at the end of the day that says, 'I'll try again tomorrow.'" ~ ~ Anne Radmacher

bluesky
Charter member
58 posts
Tue Jul-23-02 07:13 AM

34. "RE: he's right, of course"
In response to Reply # 23

co-sign. That is the dumbest comment I've heard in quite some time.

TripleX
Charter member
7116 posts
Mon Jul-22-02 01:14 PM

28. "A historical perspecitve"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jul-22-02 01:23 PM

Sam ben saying that shit for a minute. But it is not a new trend at all. Sinatra, Dolly Parton, Willie Nelson, Issac Hayes, Marc Anthony and Madonna have all done it. It is no different than the 70's trend of hiring football players to star in films. The difference is that the football films were usually bad and the rapper films are occasionally bad.

"The Devil is one man. True Evil is a colaboration of men" - Mulder

That's whats up.

http://www.myspace.com/tresequis

zero
Charter member
8108 posts
Mon Jul-22-02 03:14 PM

29. "its true"
In response to Reply # 0

but its interesting to see rappers try and act, even if they usually are bad at it. for one, i'm interested to see how mr. marshall mathers fares in his new film, especially since early reviews have been saying that he did really well (even though i fail to believe brian grazer's claim that its oscar worthy).

+ ZERØ
- monkeybarsj5
= the words

morpheme
Charter member
94867 posts
Mon Jul-22-02 05:13 PM

31. "a good actor should act..."
In response to Reply # 0

be he an rapper then so be it
sayin actors shouldn't act is like sayin singers shouldn't act
which means many ppl frum broadway wouldn't be on the silver screen

sam should then refuse to work w/"raptors"...like when he did "shaft" w/busta rhymes

i find rappers-to-actors a whole lot more convincin than i do the singers-to-actors

& when is sam goin to start developin some projects, HUNH © juvenile

now i'll go read the article

†holy smokes & jesus†

www.uppitynegress.gov

morpheme
Charter member
94867 posts
Mon Jul-22-02 05:22 PM

33. "havin had read the article..."
In response to Reply # 31

i stand beside my statement

u also ofcourse have the situation of director/writers developin roles for specific rap artists {singleton w/ice cube & tupac}...& yes, there are some ppl who are tryin really hard to get in the business & despite their trainin & hunger they still won't act...not like they think, or hope

& if all these ppl are goin to be offer'd by hollywood are bit parts {like drag-on's role in that dmx/segal film} they'll still be bringin me my lemon slices for my water & valet'n my ride

†holy smokes & jesus†

www.uppitynegress.gov

SPADE
Charter member
4745 posts
Tue Jul-23-02 12:12 PM

40. "RE: Sam Jackson says Rappers shouldn't act"
In response to Reply # 0

He's right of course but what the hell is he doing in XXX? it's a money pic right? That's why people like Eve get roles in these movies and Ja Rule in Fast in Furious. These movies are about marketing and packing in the masses.

I would be more upset if rappers were getting roles in more serious films. And for the most part I think Busta did alright in Finding Forrester (i don't even remember lil'zane in the movie), Queen Latifah in movies after Set It Off, etc. Ok Dre stinked in Training Day but Snoop was on point.

illegal
Charter member
78381 posts
Tue Jul-23-02 06:25 PM

41. "will smith touched on this"
In response to Reply # 0

on "inside the actors studio" a lil while back. he was asked why it was becoming so popular for rappers to be featured in movies, and he had a really good answer. i'll have to paraphrase because it was so long ago, but he basically said that the confidence, attitude, swagger, etc. that it takes to be a good rapper is exactly what it takes to be a good actor, and the camera reacts to that. i see the point Sam-yel is making, but i think he should let the young cats eat.

when I come around, they frown
then wanna dap me down
but when I leave?

m
Charter member
15756 posts
Wed Jul-24-02 01:15 AM

42. "why stop there?"
In response to Reply # 0

quite a few of them shouldn't rap either.
------------------------------------------------
: The “efinitive” site for present
and future admirers of Me’Shell NdegéOcello’s g.
------------------------------------------------

Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #14311 Previous topic | Next topic